Old 05-09-2019, 06:28 PM

I was also irregular, until I went on the birth control pill. It mostly stayed regular after that. But I just assumed that I would have no warning, and carried supplies.

Truth be told, everyone else knew when I would get my period, because I had horrendous PMS. But I was often too miserable to think, "hey, I'm probably just having PMS, and my period will come soon."

But I never bled when I was under stress. The summer I traveled on a eurail pass -- no period all summer. (Okay, one day of bleeding in Greece. They had the same brands of tampons as the US, with a different box.) Exams? Right after. Still, I always carried supplies until 7 months ago. It's easier to pack for trips now.
Old 05-10-2019, 07:01 AM
Charter Member

This thread prompted me to check my calendar. Seven months since the last period! Yay!

So far I've had an easy time of it - nothing more than a warm flash, my periods got much lighter and less crampy... the insomnia was the worst of it, and what prompted me to go to a doctor, but I've also been going through a LOT of stress and I'm sure that factored into the sleep problems as well.
Old 05-10-2019, 07:04 AM

My advice is to consider estrogen. I really wish I'd started it a year ago. Check out the links in the thread I started a couple of days ago for more information.

Everyone is different. It sounds like you don't need it. But honestly, I didn't need it. PM me if you want the personal details.
Old 05-10-2019, 09:35 AM
Charter Member

Menopause (and peri-menopause) has wildly variable symptoms. For a bunch of women it's an annoyance but not something that gets in the way much.

In other cases it's a big deal.

The good news is that there are options for any symptoms you may be experiencing that are interfering with your life. They aren't perfect, but they will help alleviate misery. If you've having big issues then investigate them.
Old 05-10-2019, 10:40 AM

Another fun side effect of menopause is getting frequent UTI's. I was getting them every other month for awhile and went to see my doctor about it. Apparently the tissues in your pelvic area lose their plumpness and moistness, and shrink away a bit. This allows bacteria to climb up where they shouldn't be, and voila, UTIs.

I started getting them, so my doctor put me on Yuvafem, which is a vaginally inserted estrogen replacement. It only works locally, and it acts to plump up the tissues again. I haven't had a UTI since.
Old 05-10-2019, 01:19 PM

Quote:
Originally Posted by P-man View Post
Normally I wouldn't comment on a thread like this, being male and all...
Heh, I was just commenting to myself--the Dope Ladies finally found a IMHO topic the guys will stay out of. It's good general info for us XY types, though. Expressions of gratitude to those participating. I'm not sure you could get dudes to open up about their own post-50 experiences.
Old 05-10-2019, 06:13 PM

I was not wanting to go through menopause. My mother has terrible hot flashes, and I figured I was doomed. (Also, I have never wanted to grow up...)

I was treated for fibroids in 2001. After that treatment, my periods went to a trickle and then stopped after 3-4 years. Note that I always had very regular periods, even with fibroids (they were just insanely heavy, or insanely long, but they almost always started about every 28 days)

But no hot flashes. I figured that some of the endometrial tissue had been damaged, that I might even be having periods, but so light that it wasn't registering, so to speak.

A few years after I stopped having (noticeable) periods, I noticed I was having pains in my side - tracking them on a calendar, and I was still having PMS pain (in my duodenum of all places) even though I wasn't bleeding. That would have been, oh, early 2010s? Doctor pointed out that this was a problem that would probably go away on its own soon enough, and had my hormone levels checked. I was at about half strength at the time.

The past couple of years I've finally had something I might be willing to call a hot flash, but it's more of a warm glow - like I have been exercising, or I'm a touch feverish.

All I can think is that I have been very, very lucky (crosses fingers).

Also, I've observed that if you're a woman and complain about problems with your period - if you're under 35 you're pregnant, if you're over 35 you're hitting menopause.
Old 05-10-2019, 06:20 PM
Charter Member

Oh, hell, if you're in you're 50's EVERYTHING is menopause:

"Doctor, I feel warm all the time" - menopause
"Doctor, I'm tired all the time, I can't get enough sleep" - menopause
"Doctor, I'm constipated" - menopause
"Doctor, I can't sleep" - menopause
"Doctor, I woke up this morning and my left foot had fallen off during the night" - menopause
Old 05-10-2019, 07:31 PM

Lol,

A couple of years ago I had some minor infection that made my menstrual blood smell horrible. I complained to my doctor. He said, I'm not worried about the odor, I'm worried about the bleeding ". I did a double take, realized he thought I was menopausal, and said, "I've been bleeding every month since I was twelve. The timing and quantity of blood is fine. The odor and consistency isn't."

So had gave me an antibiotic suppository that cleaned it up.
Old 05-10-2019, 09:00 PM

Quote:
Originally Posted by Inigo Montoya View Post
Heh, I was just commenting to myself--the Dope Ladies finally found a IMHO topic the guys will stay out of. It's good general info for us XY types, though. Expressions of gratitude to those participating. I'm not sure you could get dudes to open up about their own post-50 experiences.
I understand, but it's still a shame they don't; sharing what you experience w/ others having similar experiences is one of the best treatments this side of medicine. I know there are men who don't know a thing about their prostate or the potential affect it will (yes, will) have on their lives as they age.
Old 05-12-2019, 12:09 PM

Quote:
Originally Posted by Broomstick View Post
Sometimes you just get "warm flashes" and that's it. Not everyone has the furnace-heat dripping-sweat level of hot flashes.

BTW - what you're going through sounds a lot like what I experienced. I've never had more than "warm flashes" but I have had horrible insomnia issues.
I've only ever had a "warm flash" so far, though more frequently in the last few weeks. My face and throat feel as if I'm blushing, although nothing embarrassing has occurred, or my forehead breaks out in a light sweat even when I'm just sitting still and the room isn't that warm.

It's more irksome at nights. I can't have anything tucked up around my neck or chin when I'm sleeping; I'll go from chilly to uncomfortable in a matter of minutes and have to toss off anything that's too close. Even though it's still getting down into the 50s here at night, I'm sleeping with the window open a crack and a little fan on to keep the bedroom colder. I sometimes wake up with it down to about 60 degrees in the room and my nose, toes, and shoulders cold, but at least I've had a better night's sleep and not so much tossing the quilt and bedsheet off and pulling it back over me at intervals.
Old 05-12-2019, 07:58 PM

I got my first migraine on the day my first period started. It should have clued me in, but I wasn't sure exactly what my headaches were. Sometimes they felt like sinus headaches. My mom got really bad ones, but she attributed hers to a fall down concrete steps when she was about 19 (she was unconscious for a little while). But it wasn't until I heard a doctor from ACHE being on interviewed on the radio (Terry Gross, IIRC). He listed five symptoms and said if you have two or more of the five, your headache was a migraine. I had 4.5 out of five. They were horrible and debilitating for years. Sometimes, I'd fluctuate between severe headache pain and severe nausea and vomiting for eight hours. But the symptom that really clinched it for me was that they're connected in women with hormones. My migraines were almost always around my period.

Thank dog for sumaptritans. I swear they saved my life.

I was at the market with my sister, and I'd developed a migraine in the store. I was just trying to maintain while we finished our purchases, so I could get the hell out of there. The clerk said that when she started menopause her migraines went away. I was so looking forward to that! Sadly, for me, mine are fewer and less severe, but I still get them.

As for actual menopause, my periods were heavier and closer together for several years (like giant blood clots). Fortunately, while I had night sweats and warm flashes, I didn't have the kind of ultra horrendous hot flashes some of you ladies have described. Once my periods stopped, they just stopped. Although I still get occasional PMS symptoms.
Old 05-14-2019, 11:57 AM

Yay I've discovered a new symptom! Now, when a hot flash starts, I get a horrible, prickly, itchy sensation all over my body but especially my chin. Oh joy...
Old 05-14-2019, 12:02 PM

Yikes!! How long does THAT last?
Old 05-14-2019, 12:11 PM

So far it lasts as long at the hot flash which is about 1 minute or so. It hasn't happened with the "warm flashes' which seem to happen on and off, on and off all freaking day and night long.
Old 05-14-2019, 12:22 PM

Quote:
Originally Posted by carrps View Post
I got my first migraine on the day my first period started. It should have clued me in, but I wasn't sure exactly what my headaches were. Sometimes they felt like sinus headaches. My mom got really bad ones, but she attributed hers to a fall down concrete steps when she was about 19 (she was unconscious for a little while). But it wasn't until I heard a doctor from ACHE being on interviewed on the radio (Terry Gross, IIRC). He listed five symptoms and said if you have two or more of the five, your headache was a migraine. I had 4.5 out of five. They were horrible and debilitating for years. Sometimes, I'd fluctuate between severe headache pain and severe nausea and vomiting for eight hours. But the symptom that really clinched it for me was that they're connected in women with hormones. My migraines were almost always around my period.

Thank dog for sumaptritans. I swear they saved my life.

I was at the market with my sister, and I'd developed a migraine in the store. I was just trying to maintain while we finished our purchases, so I could get the hell out of there. The clerk said that when she started menopause her migraines went away. I was so looking forward to that! Sadly, for me, mine are fewer and less severe, but I still get them.
My doctor has told me that my migraines would lessen or diminish after my hysterectomy, and I suppose they have been less frequent this past year unless something stressful like lack of sleep occurs to set one off.

The prescription I have is for Relpax (Eletriptan), which has been great. It takes about an hour to kick in, but takes care of migraines that would have sent me back to bed for the rest of the day. I've become a Relpax spokewoman since I started taking it, recommending it to friends or co-workers who also suffer migraines ("Ask you doctor if Relpax is right for you").
Old 05-14-2019, 12:38 PM

Quote:
Originally Posted by Miss Mapp View Post
My doctor has told me that my migraines would lessen or diminish after my hysterectomy, and I suppose they have been less frequent this past year unless something stressful like lack of sleep occurs to set one off.

The prescription I have is for Relpax (Eletriptan), which has been great. It takes about an hour to kick in, but takes care of migraines that would have sent me back to bed for the rest of the day. I've become a Relpax spokewoman since I started taking it, recommending it to friends or co-workers who also suffer migraines ("Ask you doctor if Relpax is right for you").
Thanks, I think I will ask my doctor!

Although sumitriptan works o.k. for me. I just have to make sure I take it in time. Nothing works after a migraine sets in. Or does the Relpax work even if you take it "late?"
Old 05-14-2019, 12:48 PM

Quote:
Originally Posted by carrps View Post
Nothing works after a migraine sets in. Or does the Relpax work even if you take it "late?"
Yes, it does. The first time I took one was after I got home from picking the prescription up at the pharmacy; I had a skull-splitting headache. The instructions say you can take a second pill if symptoms persist more than an hour, but the pain was gone by then. I don't think I've ever had to take 2 for the same migraine.
Old 05-15-2019, 04:44 PM

I realized after I posted that I have been on anti-depressants (Zoloft, and then Effexor) since a couple of years after my fibroid treatments, and it was just recently when I went off of them. I'm a bit calendar-impaired, but I think I didn't start having the warm glows until I was off the Effexor. Ladies with bad hot flashes - are any of y'all taking anti-depressants?
Old 05-15-2019, 05:43 PM

Quote:
Originally Posted by Zyada View Post
I realized after I posted that I have been on anti-depressants (Zoloft, and then Effexor) since a couple of years after my fibroid treatments, and it was just recently when I went off of them. I'm a bit calendar-impaired, but I think I didn't start having the warm glows until I was off the Effexor. Ladies with bad hot flashes - are any of y'all taking anti-depressants?
I've just been researching hormones and PMS, and came upon a lot of information on SSRIs. Apparently, estrogen is also a serotonin reuptake inhibitor, and there are a lot of things that both estrogen and SSRIs are somewhat effective for.

So, I read that "SSRI's are the gold standard for treating pre menstrual syndrome" (or something worse than "syndrome", I guess) and for that purpose, you can take them when the symptoms begin, and stop taking them as soon as the period begins. That's consistent with my experience with SSRIs. I told my doctor I was depressed, and I thought it was hormonal, and he said even if it was, I should try SSRIs first. And the Prozac worked within 2 hours, which isn't typical for regular depression, but is apparently common for PMS-type depressions.

https://www.ncbi.nlm.nih.gov/pubmed/12215058

And the flip side is, all the references say that while estrogen is the gold standard for hot flashes, SSRIs are somewhat effective, too.

(see the section on"Depression in perimenopausal women"
https://www.uptodate.com/contents/tr...ormone-therapy)