Old 03-12-2018, 01:49 PM

Unsolved mysteries and murders

the Walker County Jane Doe is one I wish Robert Stack had done a segment on.

http://en.wikipedia.org/wiki/Walker_County_Jane_Doe

She looks so young in her post mortem pics

I wonder who she was trying to meet at the prison?
Old 03-12-2018, 02:36 PM

Interesting story. Makes you wonder how someone can get murdered/disappear and nobody even notices or can identify them.
Old 03-12-2018, 02:59 PM

[QUOTE=Princess Perfume;20840568]Unsolved mysteries and murdersQUOTE]

Were you looking for suggestions? As a story, D B Cooper takes some beating:

https://en.wikipedia.org/wiki/D._B._Cooper
Old 03-12-2018, 03:01 PM

[QUOTE=Treppenwitz;20840722]
Quote:
Originally Posted by Princess Perfume View Post
Unsolved mysteries and murdersQUOTE]

Were you looking for suggestions? As a story, D B Cooper takes some beating:

https://en.wikipedia.org/wiki/D._B._Cooper
I agree with the FBI that Cooper didn't survive the jump and the money that was found fell from his body.
Old 03-12-2018, 03:26 PM

Ah, we could argue about this for hours. Because it's such a good story.

It's one off those not-even-half remembered news articles that you come across again and think oh, yeah, that thing......

If I knew how to start a thread (newbie here) that would be an interesting one. The news stories from a generation ago that suddenly flood back at a random prompt. Has it been done before? Joyce McKinney isn't an unsolved mystery but....

j
Old 03-12-2018, 03:30 PM

What do you think of Walker County Jane Doe?

Such a gruesome end for someone who was only 14-15.

Another case is Michelle Angela Garvey who ran away because she couldn't cope with her parent's divorce. LE think Michelle was killed in Texas by a serial killer who took her bra and shoes as souvenirs.
Old 03-12-2018, 03:33 PM

The Brabant Killers. Just what the fuck happened there exactly? I've been following that case on the Unresolved Mysteries reddit for years. With some digging, and the release of recent information regarding a possible suspect, I've managed to discern that the Belgian Gendarmerie's counterterrorist unit "Diane" may have been involved, and that at least one of the members of the gang, Christian Bonkoffsky, was a serving law enforcement officer at the time of the killings. Everything about it is just fucked up beyond belief.
Old 03-12-2018, 04:00 PM

Quote:
What do you think of Walker County Jane Doe?
Well, I never heard of these cases before your post(s) - different continent and all. Ghastly. Perplexing that she was never reported missing, and wasn't identified by a prison inmate.

Plus I hope that not all interstates are as cluttered with unidentified bodies as I-45. That's almost the strangest thing about it.

j
Old 03-12-2018, 04:06 PM

The window's closing for ID'ing Walker County Jane Doe. If she was 15 in 1980, her friends in school would be in their early fifties now and any adults that knew her would be elderly or dead.
Old 03-12-2018, 06:55 PM
Charter Member

[Moderating]
Since this thread seems to be more about the events, rather than the Unsolved Mysteries TV show, I'll move it from CS to IMHO.
Old 03-12-2018, 07:28 PM

According to FBI statistics, about 40% of all known homicides are never cleared by arrest. Which is about 15,000 known homicides still unsolved per year. Another 15,000 adults are listed in missing person reports (not counting a half a million under 21). Plenty of room in there for so many "unsolved murders" that they don't even make the local papers.

Last edited by jtur88; 03-12-2018 at 07:30 PM.
Old 03-12-2018, 07:49 PM

the Beaumont Children Mystery. The poor parents are still alive...
Old 03-13-2018, 05:54 AM

Quote:
Originally Posted by Jacquernagy View Post
The Brabant Killers. Just what the fuck happened there exactly? I've been following that case on the Unresolved Mysteries reddit for years. With some digging, and the release of recent information regarding a possible suspect, I've managed to discern that the Belgian Gendarmerie's counterterrorist unit "Diane" may have been involved, and that at least one of the members of the gang, Christian Bonkoffsky, was a serving law enforcement officer at the time of the killings. Everything about it is just fucked up beyond belief.
Yes, that one is the Loch Ness Monster of recent Belgian history, except that it's real, and I've mentioned it here before.

I was a child at the time and I remember my parents telling my grandmother to stop taking me and my brother shopping with her as she'd done for years. There really was a palpable atmosphere of paranoia and fear at the time. Heck, after all this time, I still find myself thinking about it occasionally when I'm at a supermarket.

Among the most puzzling (and heart-breaking) elements:

- The loot was almost always small compared to the violence used (torture and kill a restaurant manager for some coffee and wine ? Kill eight bystanders in two separate attacks an the same day for a few thousand dollars ?)
- The violence itself. Completely indiscriminate : people fleeing? Shot in the back. Children in the parking lot or on the floor? Shot.
- The behaviour of the killers, decribed by various witnesses as methodical and professional, their skills with firearms (they shot to kill, not at random) and cars (evading capture several times by using excellent but unusual escape routes), suggesting serious training and/or experience.

The identity of "the Giant" may indeed have been discovered but there have been so many false leads and "it's all going to be solved real soon" news stories in the past 35 years that I don't hold much hope.

Last edited by Les Espaces Du Sommeil; 03-13-2018 at 05:56 AM.
Old 03-13-2018, 06:05 AM

some missing adults don't want to be found. We had a local NC guy like that , just left home one day. A few years later a guy spotted him on the gulf coast. After that he came back to town and got divorced and then headed back to the gulf area.
Old 03-13-2018, 06:33 AM

The Brabant Killers is definitely way up there. Scary as fuck.

My personal favourite is the Somerton Man, though. You can spend hours - nay, days - on that one. Creepy, yes, but strangely, poetically compelling rather than horrific.

Last edited by Steken; 03-13-2018 at 06:34 AM.
Old 03-13-2018, 07:23 AM

There's been a conviction in the disappearance of a nurse in Virginia (her doctor boyfriend was found guilty in her murder) even though the body never turned up.

Prosecutors think that has something to do with the 23 bottles of drain cleaner and 7 boxes of muriatic acid he bought.
Old 03-13-2018, 08:48 AM
Charter Member

The Hall-Mills Murders. Still unsolved, but it was the "crime of the century" back in the 20s. The trial would make a great movie (the Pig Woman testifying in a hospital bed in the courtroom dying of cancer, Willie testifying), though the fact it didn't resolve makes it difficult to come up with a ending.
"If a person saying he was something was all there was to it, this country'd be full of rich men and good-looking women. Too bad it isn't that easy.... In short, when someone else says you're a writer, that's when you're a writer... not before."
Purveyor of fine science fiction since 1982.
Old 03-13-2018, 09:08 AM

I have a few of these:

The Tylenol Murders. Back in the 80s someone filled Tylenol pills with cyanide. No one was ever arrested. It is looked at as a a good example of how a company should handle horrible news and also the reason you have a hard time opening pill bottles.

The Long Island Serial Killer. I read a good book about this that focused on the victims (all sex workers) and about how we devalue victims who are sex workers when they are people who deserve better.

Elisa Lam
. This one is just weird and creepy.

Tamam Shud. Another weird one.

I don't remember the specifics but the one where two guys were found dead in the middle of a field with lead lined suits on for seemingly no reason.
Old 03-13-2018, 09:34 AM

Quote:
Originally Posted by Quimby View Post
I don't remember the specifics but the one where two guys were found dead in the middle of a field with lead lined suits on for seemingly no reason.
Masks, not suits.

Last edited by Steken; 03-13-2018 at 09:34 AM.
Old 03-13-2018, 09:53 AM

Quote:
Originally Posted by Quimby;20842001[URL="https://en.wikipedia.org/wiki/Death_of_Elisa_Lam"
Elisa Lam[/URL]. This one is just weird and creepy.
Just the history of that hotel is enough to give one the creeps.
Old 03-13-2018, 10:02 AM
born to be shunned

One that always sticks in my brain, partly because it crops up in the news now and then even 35 years later, is Cherrie Mahan

http://www.post-gazette.com/local/20...s/201502220103

https://en.wikipedia.org/wiki/Disapp..._Cherrie_Mahan

It hit the news so fast and so hard that when it broke I expected a result in days. And here it is all these years later and still nothing. It was always just beyond-belief to me.
Old 03-13-2018, 10:44 AM
KB not found. Press any key
Charter Member

Quote:
Originally Posted by xizor View Post
Just the history of that hotel is enough to give one the creeps.
The Cecil Hotel!
Old 03-13-2018, 11:42 AM

Quote:
I have a few of these:

The Long Island Serial Killer. I read a good book about this that focused on the victims (all sex workers) and about how we devalue victims who are sex workers when they are people who deserve better.
This is the one I came in here to mention. For anyone looking for entire books on unsolved mysteries and murders, Lost Girls is a good one.
Old 03-13-2018, 12:05 PM

Maine's oldest cold case, Mary C Olenchuck

Last edited by Fir na tine; 03-13-2018 at 12:06 PM.
Old 03-13-2018, 01:16 PM

Quote:
Originally Posted by The wind of my soul View Post
This is the one I came in here to mention. For anyone looking for entire books on unsolved mysteries and murders, Lost Girls is a good one.
That's exactly the book I meant, thank you. Really worth a read.
Old 03-13-2018, 02:18 PM

Walker County Jane Doe said "Who cares?" when asked if anyone who the waitress thought loved her knew where she was.

heartbreaking...
Old 03-13-2018, 02:42 PM
Charter Member

Quote:
Walker County Jane Doe said "Who cares?" when asked if anyone who the waitress thought loved her knew where she was.

heartbreaking...
A friend told me that his daughter and all teenage girls at some point hate everyone and everything.

This forum requires that you wait 60 seconds between posts. Please try again in 1 seconds.
Old 03-13-2018, 02:55 PM

Gloria Ramirez, "the toxic lady" whose dead body somehow poisoned a bunch of doctors and hospital workers. It's not known for certain what caused it; all we have are theories.
Old 03-13-2018, 03:43 PM

Another pretty awful one: a woman finds a Polaroid in a convenience store parking lot of a young boy and girl bound and gagged. The girl may or may not be identified as Tara Calico while the boy never was.
Old 03-13-2018, 04:48 PM
Charter Member

Can anyone make out the title of the book?
Old 03-13-2018, 05:30 PM

Quote:
Another pretty awful one: a woman finds a Polaroid in a convenience store parking lot of a young boy and girl bound and gagged. The girl may or may not be identified as Tara Calico while the boy never was.
There's been so much debate over whether this picture is a hoax or real. A lot of people have brought up the fact that the tape over their mouths wouldn't actually be functional enough to gag them, and that it looks posed for show. A lot of people seem to think it could be some kind of inside joke from one family member or friend to another. But a lot of people also do think it could be real. That one pops up on the Unresolved Mysteries reddit ALL the time.
Old 03-13-2018, 05:34 PM

Plus it isn't Tara Calico in the picture. If you compare it with a picture of the real Tara, there are obvious differences, especially the bridge of the nose.
Old 03-13-2018, 06:27 PM

The "Murder In The Stacks" case at Penn State University (a student was stabbed to death in the library in 1969) officially remains unsolved.

Maria Ridulph's murder is back in the unsolved category after the man convicted of her death many years later was subsequently declared innocent.

And JonBenet someone or other.

Last edited by Jackmannii; 03-13-2018 at 06:29 PM.
Old 03-13-2018, 07:42 PM

Quote:
Originally Posted by carnivorousplant View Post
Can anyone make out the title of the book?
The article says it's My Sweet Audrina by V.C. Andrews.
Old 03-13-2018, 07:59 PM

Remember that "Lisa does a beauty pageant" episode of the Simpsons?
You couldn't do that post-JonBenet murder.
Old 03-13-2018, 09:11 PM
Charter Member

In 1981 a five year old girl went missing here in Topeka. She was seen walking away from her house, and some say a man was following her. Jackie Hay was never seen again, nor was her body found. It's been thirty-seven years.
Old 03-13-2018, 09:14 PM

It's really sad when places where crimes occurred or victim's bodies were found are later demolished or paved over when streets and highways are widened.
Old 03-13-2018, 09:35 PM

It's been a while so I don't know if it was officially solved yet but according to a bunch of 9/11 timelines the morning of 9/11/01 a group of Arabic looking men in a van approached Camp David claiming they were journalists and they wanted to talk to the President and Secret Service turned them away since they had no papers of any kind. I've always been curious what the hell their deal was.
Old 03-14-2018, 05:08 AM

Erica Baker, 9, went missing 19 years ago in Kettering, Ohio.

It is troubling that there doesn't appear to have been much progress in solving the Pike County, Ohio, shootings.
Old 03-14-2018, 05:15 AM

http://en.wikipedia.org/wiki/Disappe..._of_Sheila_Fox

http://en.wikipedia.org/wiki/Disappe..._Kirste_Gordon

http://en.wikipedia.org/wiki/Disappe...umont_children
Old 03-14-2018, 08:47 AM

The Oakland County Child Killer was one I actually lived through
Old 03-14-2018, 09:16 AM

Perhaps not what the OP is calling for, since we kind of know what happened; spontaneous human combustion is a bit of an unsolved mystery in an of itself.
Old 03-14-2018, 09:23 AM

Asha Degree, a nine year old who, for some reason, left her house around three in morning in the middle of a thunder storm. People noticed her walking along the highway that morning, but she hasn't been seen since. Several months later, found her backpack in a plastic bag about 26 miles away.

https://en.m.wikipedia.org/wiki/Disa...of_Asha_Degree
Old 03-14-2018, 10:00 AM
Charter Member

Quote:
Originally Posted by Baker View Post
In 1981 a five year old girl went missing here in Topeka. She was seen walking away from her house, and some say a man was following her. Jackie Hay was never seen again, nor was her body found. It's been thirty-seven years.
Similarly, there is the Randy Leach case in the Kansas City area (rural Leavenworth county). 17 year old disappears from/after a high school party in April 1988, nobody has seen him since.

The KC area/northeast Kansas seems to have a lot of these. Precious Doe, which was eventually solved after many years; and the Kara Kopetsky disappearance, which was only recently solved when her remains were found near the remains of another girl who had recently disappeared.
Old 03-14-2018, 10:00 AM

The Mile Marker 36 Murders.
http://www.milemarker36.com/chapter3a.html
Old 03-14-2018, 10:28 AM

This isn't quite the same as some of the others that have been posted here, but it's in the same vein. Locally, there's the case of Stephanie Condon, a 14 year old girl who disappeared on Halloween night in 1998. She was babysitting a couple of kids while the kids' mom was at a bar. The mom came home in the wee hours of the morning to find the kids fast asleep and Stephanie gone. She had simply vanished.

One guy, a local loser by the name of Dale Hill, was the last person to have seen Stephanie when he visited the house where she was babysitting that evening. There was no evidence of foul play or that Hill had anything to do with the disappearance.

The case quickly went cold until 2009 when a guy walking his dogs discovered a skeleton in the woods an hour's drive from where Stephanie disappeared. It turned out it was her remains.

Hill was arrested and charged with aggravated murder, but was acquitted. Less than a year later her father committed suicide.

Her mom was a local mail carrier and our family's house was on her route. Every time I saw that old mail jeep I would have a brief flashback to the media circus that surrounded her disappearance. I can't imagine what that woman lived through. IIRC Stephanie was an only child, and she lost her daughter and her husband. I can't even imagine.
Old 03-14-2018, 12:21 PM

http://www.cnn.com/2010/CRIME/01/18/...son/index.html

Brandon Swanson was 19 and had driven his car into a ditch on a county road. He called his parents and was trying to direct his father to where he was when he yelled "OH SHIT!" and the line went dead. Nobody has heard from him since.
Old 03-14-2018, 12:29 PM

Quote:
Originally Posted by Asuka View Post
It's been a while so I don't know if it was officially solved yet but according to a bunch of 9/11 timelines the morning of 9/11/01 a group of Arabic looking men in a van approached Camp David claiming they were journalists and they wanted to talk to the President and Secret Service turned them away since they had no papers of any kind. I've always been curious what the hell their deal was.
I didn't recall that from the time, and I'm not finding any reference to it at the moment. Do you have an example of a report? Not trying to be argumentative, I'm just honestly curious about this.
Old 03-15-2018, 08:26 AM
Charter Member

The 1961 disappearance of Ann Marie Burr. She is believed by many, including Ann Rule, to be the first victim of then 15 year old Ted Bundy.

Last edited by Annie-Xmas; 03-15-2018 at 08:27 AM.
Old 03-15-2018, 03:31 PM

Quote:
It's really sad when places where crimes occurred or victim's bodies were found are later demolished or paved over when streets and highways are widened.
Why?