Old 03-15-2018, 03:44 PM

This local young lady vanished 12 years ago. All we have is a grainy video of someone dropping off her car at a nearby apartment complex. Not a peep.
Old 03-15-2018, 06:52 PM

The 2006 Crime Investigation Australia episode on the Beaumont Children was hilarious for those of us who like cr*ppy re-enactments on true crime shows. Whereas the real Beaumont daughters had short hair, the child actresses's hair was positively flowing, 'Jane" wore a circa 2006 Speedo one-piece, the children visit a 2006 bakery... i could go on
Old 03-15-2018, 07:05 PM
Charter Member

The "Boy in the Box" is well known, with many interesting theories.

Beverly Potts is less well known, at least to me. From what I've read, I don't think she has any living family left.

I'm not convinced about the conclusion reached in the death of Mary Jane Barker. Specifically, I don't see how three days in a closet could kill a child, yet leave a young puppy frisky. I'm also not convinced it was necessary to euthanize the puppy.

If anyone is interested in podcasts, I highly recommend "The Vanished Podcast" and "Already Gone." Both tend to focus on lesser known cases, with the latter being concerned primarily with cases out of Michigan. "True Crime Garage" is also good, though they do feature some solved cases.
Old 03-15-2018, 07:10 PM

Potts' sister's children are still alive, but yeah Beverly's parents and sister are all dead now. Her sister left instructions that Beverly be buried next to their parents should her body ever be found.

Last edited by Princess Perfume; 03-15-2018 at 07:10 PM.
Old 03-15-2018, 08:02 PM
BANNED

Two classics: the Black Dahlia, and Judge Crater. Don't really care about Jimmy Hoffa.
Old 03-15-2018, 08:06 PM

I feel really sorry for the Elizabeth Shorts in the world once they get old enough to find out they share their name with the Black Dahlia.
Old 03-15-2018, 08:38 PM

I was going to mention the Boy in the Box, but someone beat me to it.

What about Little Miss 1565? She was a victim of the Hartford Circus Fire and no one was able to identify her. Years later she was declared to be Eleanor Cook, but Cook's relatives who had examined the body at the time of the disaster were adamant that the body was NOT Cook.

Then there were the Hinterkaifeck murders. The whole thing sounds like something from Stephen King.

(And didn't one of the lawyers from the Manson Family trial disappear in the middle of it?)
Old 03-15-2018, 08:50 PM

A slightly lesser known one, but Columbia, MO saw a pretty horrific murder of a 13 year old girl in 1950 that has never been solved.

http://www.columbiatribune.com/9b212...3c61ac54e.html
Old 03-15-2018, 09:53 PM
Charter Member

Joan Gay Croft: A little girl survives a terrible tornado. But who took her from the hospital?

J.B. Elwell, noted bridge expert and notorious ladies' man, is found murdered in a real-life unsolved locked room mystery.
Old 03-15-2018, 10:07 PM
Charter Member

Who murdered Isidor Fink? And how?
Old 03-16-2018, 01:18 AM

The 1931 “Wallace murder” in Britain is also a good one.

Julia Wallace is murdered; her husband is tried, convicted and sentenced to death as the killer. However, after re-examination if evidence, an appeal was lodged and he ended up acquitted.

That murder remains unsolved today.

Link: https://en.m.wikipedia.org/wiki/William_Herbert_Wallace
Old 03-16-2018, 08:50 AM

Quote:
Originally Posted by Greathouse View Post
http://www.cnn.com/2010/CRIME/01/18/...son/index.html

Brandon Swanson was 19 and had driven his car into a ditch on a county road. He called his parents and was trying to direct his father to where he was when he yelled "OH SHIT!" and the line went dead. Nobody has heard from him since.
Thatís a head scratcher for sure. For those too busy to read, there are podcasts that address most of these cases. My wife and I canít get enough. Examples:

http://thinkingsidewayspodcast.com/tag/brandon-swanson/

http://trailwentcold.com/2017/10/18/...andon-swanson/
Old 03-16-2018, 09:00 AM

Back to the tv show. my favorite is the one on the Loch Ness Monster and two of the leading "experts", men who have lived on the Loch and been studying this for years, come out and admit their is nothing there. One man admits the early sightings from about 1900-1940, were giant river catfish (which can grow to 15 feet and live 50 years) dumped into the Loch to entice sport fishermen, were the source of earlier "monster" sightings. Yes, I can see a 15 foot fish, about twice the size of the average rowboat, would scare the crap out of anyone!

These men, who once were sure nessie existed, have dived into the loch and examined every clue like photos and testimonies and admit, their is no "monster". Although it has brought in alot of tourists.

Now the big question is when will this whole thing be forgotten and people quit looking for it?
Old 03-16-2018, 09:48 AM

Quote:
Originally Posted by Guinastasia View Post
What about Little Miss 1565? She was a victim of the Hartford Circus Fire and no one was able to identify her. Years later she was declared to be Eleanor Cook, but Cook's relatives who had examined the body at the time of the disaster were adamant that the body was NOT Cook.
Yes, I was thinking about that case.

It's really so sad, not only what happened to her, in what should have been happy circumstances (circus !) but add the fact that she was basically forgotten. It's as if the only people who showed some compassion were the ones who came up with the "Little Miss" moniker .
Old 03-16-2018, 10:08 AM
Charter Member

Who put Bella in the wych elm?

To recommend another podcast: Bella, and some of the other cases mentioned, are discussed on My Favorite Murder. They'll be doing live shows on a tour of Europe soon.
Old 03-16-2018, 11:01 AM

On a micro-level: a few years ago my BIL'S brother, a cop, came home from work and killed his wife, three young children, then himself. He used his service gun.

The murder's identity is a given. The unsolved mystery is why - no note, no indications he was troubled, in a good marriage, and so on. Just came home and killed his family.

BILl's mom, grandpa, brother, and sister (happened last November) are suicides. A mystery I'd like to see solved is nature vs. nurture - is suicide influenced by genetics?
Old 03-16-2018, 11:52 AM

If all dog owners were to unite and, over a designated week, walk their dogs for 96 hours, imagine how many human remains would be found.

Seriously, it seems that dog walkers are always finding bodies.

One of my fave mysteries is Kaspar Hauser. A lot of evidence points toward his story being a sham, but some mystery remains:
https://en.m.wikipedia.org/wiki/Kaspar_Hauser
Old 03-16-2018, 12:43 PM
Charter Member

This is sort of side story that is usually ignored, but the suicide of Edward Cowles Stevenson. Either his wife or his daughter came and found him hanging. No note, no obvious motive, zilch.

That would not be the end of the tragedy for Mildred Stevenson, though, as some years later her daughter Colette, and their small children, would later fall victim to the infamous Jeffrey MacDonald.

Anyway, MacDonald's story is so notorious, that Colette's fathers' suicide is pretty small potatoes in comparison, but still another head-scratcher.
Old 03-16-2018, 09:30 PM

Quote:
Originally Posted by Jennshark View Post
If all dog owners were to unite and, over a designated week, walk their dogs for 96 hours, imagine how many human remains would be found.

Seriously, it seems that dog walkers are always finding bodies.
Conspiracy or cult?
Old 03-16-2018, 09:45 PM
Charter Member

Quote:
Originally Posted by Jeep's Phoenix View Post
I'm not convinced about the conclusion reached in the death of Mary Jane Barker. Specifically, I don't see how three days in a closet could kill a child, yet leave a young puppy frisky. I'm also not convinced it was necessary to euthanize the puppy.
I kinda wondered about the puppy euthanasia, too. I would think they would have been able to get the contents of the dog's stomach out somehow. Maybe other places in the digestive tract wouldn't be as straightforward. I guess first and foremost, they wanted to establish if the dog had somehow eaten or drank since being in the closet(?)

Last edited by I Love Me, Vol. I; 03-16-2018 at 09:46 PM. Reason: just can't type worth a damn
Old 03-16-2018, 09:51 PM

Australian child rape-killing - http://en.wikipedia.org/wiki/Murder_of_Kylie_Maybury

(there was an unrelated British Kylie Maybury who was convicted for pension fraud)
Old 03-16-2018, 10:11 PM

Quote:
Originally Posted by Asuka View Post
It's been a while so I don't know if it was officially solved yet but according to a bunch of 9/11 timelines the morning of 9/11/01 a group of Arabic looking men in a van approached Camp David claiming they were journalists and they wanted to talk to the President and Secret Service turned them away since they had no papers of any kind. I've always been curious what the hell their deal was.
Which timelines are these? I've never heard of this before, and all my research has turned up nothing.
Old 03-16-2018, 10:13 PM

If you are interested in mysteries, and all kinds of crimes from the past, this blog is pretty good reading: http://strangeco.blogspot.com

This disappearance is pretty intriguing -
http://strangeco.blogspot.com/2013/0...f-dorothy.html
Old 03-17-2018, 02:27 PM

Wow, so many compelling mysteries and murders, many of which I was aware, some notable ones I was not...the Oakland County (Babysitter) murders, the sister's blog is fascinating and haunting, her pain and drive is very apparent...the history of the Cecil Hotel, damn, that is incredibly creepy...

Here in the Capital Region of NY, we've had several, one of most well known is the disappearance of Suzanne Lyall which occurred right before we moved up here...

https://en.wikipedia.org/wiki/Disapp..._Suzanne_Lyall

http://cbs6albany.com/news/local/20-...es-for-answers

She disappeared 20 years ago just about two weeks ago, and like so many cases, it's horribly maddening for the families that someone out there likely knows what happened and where she is...
Old 03-18-2018, 11:01 AM

Quote:
Originally Posted by Jennshark View Post
On a micro-level: a few years ago my BIL'S brother, a cop, came home from work and killed his wife, three young children, then himself. He used his service gun.

The murder's identity is a given. The unsolved mystery is why - no note, no indications he was troubled, in a good marriage, and so on. Just came home and killed his family.

BILl's mom, grandpa, brother, and sister (happened last November) are suicides. A mystery I'd like to see solved is nature vs. nurture - is suicide influenced by genetics?
Something very similar happened hear less than two years ago, no public indications of trouble, he just came home, killed his son and wife, set the house on fire and committed suicide, all with his service weapon...there very well could be underlying issues that were never made public, but very similar to the situation you referenced...

https://www.timesunion.com/news/arti...e-11285808.php
Old 03-18-2018, 11:58 AM

This one is local to me, and we're coming up on the 30th anniversary: http://truecrimeguy.com/april-marie-tinsley/

The killer left notes and DNA in several places. Nothing has ever come of any of it.

I was a teenager when April was killed and didn't live too terribly far away. I remember my friends and myself being scared to go anywhere by ourselves after that.
Old 03-18-2018, 04:20 PM

Quote:
Originally Posted by WOOKINPANUB View Post
Perhaps not what the OP is calling for, since we kind of know what happened; spontaneous human combustion is a bit of an unsolved mystery in an of itself.
"Spontaneous human combustion" in general and the Reeser case in particular don't seem to be genuine mysteries.

Much was made of the fact that only Reeser's body and the chair she was sitting in were heavily damaged by fire (similar to what's been recorded in other such "mysteries"):

"In fact, the floors and walls of Mrs. Reeserís apartment were of concrete. When last seen by her physician son, Mrs. Reeser had been sitting in the big chair, wearing flammable nightclothes, and smoking a cigarette-after having taken two Seconal sleeping pills and stating her intention of taking two more. The official police report concluded, ďOnce the body became ignited, almost complete destruction occurred from the burning of its own fatty tissues.Ē (Mrs. Reeser was a ďplumpĒ woman, and a quantity of ďgrease"-obviously fatty residue from her body-was left at the spot where the immolation occurred.) As the fat liquefied in the fire, it could have been absorbed into the chair stuffing to fuel still more fire to attack still more of the body"

https://www.csicop.org/si/show/not-s...man_combustion

Joe Nickell's articles on SHC are worth a read.
Old 03-19-2018, 11:02 PM

I wonder how many of us heard the old "hop in, your Mom sent me to pick you up" from pedos trawling for kids near our schools?
Old 03-20-2018, 10:37 AM

In Boston, back in 1996 there was a Swedish Au Pair, Karina Holmer.

The top half of her body was found in a dumpster. No crime scene or any other part of her has ever been found.
Old 03-20-2018, 10:41 AM

Another case local to Massachusetts is Molly Bish.

She was 16 and working as a lifeguard.
Old 04-25-2018, 12:13 AM

Given the recent documentary and the fact I'm half way through my second book in the last four days, the EAR/ONS/Golden State Killer has really recaptured my fascination...

[URL="https://www.investigationdiscovery.com/tv-shows/golden-state-killer-its-not-over/"]

This has been around for years, I traveled to Cali for business during what became the ONS part of his crime spree, I'm a 'true crime' devotee, but an immersion and re-reading of this whole account just brings two huge questions to mind:
  1. SOMEONE out there knows who he is/was...ample evidence of potential accomplices including possibly a female....why has no one come forward??
  2. Is this the luckiest criminal to ever to walk the face of the Earth? OK, silly question, I get it, but given the time, the lack of technology, the lack of interdepartmental communications and the mere fact people didn't call the cops when they saw suspicious activity means he may get away with this forever...

It's maddening that the statue of limitations have run out on the rapes in NorCal, so, even if he is arrested tomorrow, he would be linked but never charged with those crimes, but SOMEBODY knows who this person is...he took trinkets, things, tokens, ID's, one earring of a pair, rings, somewhere, there is a treasure trove of evidence sitting, waiting to be discovered...

If he's dead (certainly a possibility given the last connected crime was 1986), somebody has is it or knows of its disposition...if he's still alive, it's his prized possessions...

Last edited by betterlifethroughchemistry; 04-25-2018 at 12:14 AM.
Old 04-25-2018, 02:32 AM

Quote:
Originally Posted by betterlifethroughchemistry View Post
Given the recent documentary and the fact I'm half way through my second book in the last four days, the EAR/ONS/Golden State Killer has really recaptured my fascination...
Press conference today at 12pm Pacific! Donít want to get your hopes up, but there are rumours of a DNA match and an arrest.
Old 04-25-2018, 07:36 AM

Quote:
Originally Posted by JoseB View Post
The 1931 “Wallace murder” in Britain is also a good one.

Julia Wallace is murdered; her husband is tried, convicted and sentenced to death as the killer. However, after re-examination if evidence, an appeal was lodged and he ended up acquitted.

That murder remains unsolved today.

Link: https://en.m.wikipedia.org/wiki/William_Herbert_Wallace
I'm reading Yseult Bridges' book on the Wallace case right now; she definitely thinks Wallace killed his wife. I liked her books on Adelaide Bartlett, Constance Kent, and the Bravos--all of which also involve murders that still have a mystery about them. But this book seems more heavy-handed and I think she jumps to several conclusions without any good evidence for them.

Dorothy Sayers wrote a more fair, even-handed analysis of the Wallace case, in that she isn't trying to prove Wallace's guilt or innocence.

Off on a tangent: Whenever I read about the Wallace case, I wonder if the McCartney whom Wallace was playing chess with when he received the mysterious Qualtrough message was a relative of the not-yet-born-in-1931 Paul.

Last edited by Miss Mapp; 04-25-2018 at 07:37 AM.
Old 04-25-2018, 10:38 AM

I am incredibly intrigued by the Diane Schuler multiple-murder-by-car case (the horrific 2009 Taconic Parkway wreck). Despite what her idiot husband has claimed over and over, she was obviously driving drunk and stoned off her ass and there was a pretty intense intentionality in killing herself, her kids, and her nieces that day -- and whatever other folks got in her way: https://en.wikipedia.org/wiki/2009_T..._Parkway_crash

We, of course, know the perpetrator and the victims, but it's just such a deeply odd case.

The "why?" of this won't, I think, ever be satisfactorily answered. I think the people who may know the real story (secret drinker and stoner? Suicidal? Homicidal? Mentally ill?) won't ever come forward; or, no one knows the real story. It seems Diane was an incredibly private person and it's possible nobody knew anything was awry.

HBO made an excellent documentary, There's Something Wrong with Aunt Diane, that I highly recommend.
Old 04-25-2018, 12:00 PM
Charter Member

Quote:
Originally Posted by MickNickMaggies View Post
Press conference today at 12pm Pacific! Donít want to get your hopes up, but there are rumours of a DNA match and an arrest.
It's sounding like they got him: East Area Rapist suspect arrested in decades-old case, source says. FBI agents at home of Citrus Heights man

The press got the name Joseph James DeAngelo from public records. He's apparently lived near Sacramento for decades.
Old 04-25-2018, 12:21 PM
KB not found. Press any key
Charter Member

He just quit being a serial killer?
Old 04-25-2018, 04:38 PM

Quote:
Originally Posted by MickNickMaggies View Post
Just crazy, having first heard about this at the time I travelled to SoCal for business (before they connected EAR and ONS) and then watching it on "Unsolved Mysteries" years later, it was due to the recent HLN documentary and recent books that I re-educated myself (OK, my wife said, obsessed) over this case...I was up until 1:00 a.m. reading and just was compelled to post my questions as it was driving me crazy that SOMEONE must know who he is...turns out, someone did, I guess it was a tip from the public that lead to them collecting his DNA and arresting him...

Thank God they found him alive as we MIGHT get some answers the multitude of questions, but most importantly so the victims and and the families can get some semblance of closure and peace...
Old 04-25-2018, 04:48 PM

Quote:
Just crazy, having first heard about this at the time I travelled to SoCal for business (before they connected EAR and ONS) and then watching it on "Unsolved Mysteries" years later, it was due to the recent HLN documentary and recent books that I re-educated myself (OK, my wife said, obsessed) over this case...I was up until 1:00 a.m. reading and just was compelled to post my questions as it was driving me crazy that SOMEONE must know who he is...turns out, someone did, I guess it was a tip from the public that lead to them collecting his DNA and arresting him...

Thank God they found him alive as we MIGHT get some answers the multitude of questions, but most importantly so the victims and and the families can get some semblance of closure and peace...
Reports on other dedicated EAR/ONS websites that the suspect is co-operating. It seems as if he was VR all along. This surprises me. I had tended to dismiss the VR link.
Old 04-25-2018, 05:41 PM

Quote:
Originally Posted by Fuzzy_wuzzy View Post
Reports on other dedicated EAR/ONS websites that the suspect is co-operating. It seems as if he was VR all along. This surprises me. I had tended to dismiss the VR link.
I totally agree with the VR - I was just debating a colleague the other day why I DIDN'T think EAR/ONS was the VR, but WAS the C Cat, she came up to me this afternoon and said, "HA!!", I said, "Yup, evidently, you were right..."

I hope he is cooperating, so many questions to be answered...
Old 09-08-2018, 07:34 AM

The Nurse and the Brownie
Old 09-08-2018, 09:00 AM
Charter Member

What about Nicole Brown Simpson and Ronald Lyle Goldman? There's never been a conviction in that case!
Old 09-08-2018, 04:50 PM

Quote:
Originally Posted by Annie-Xmas View Post
What about Nicole Brown Simpson and Ronald Lyle Goldman? There's never been a conviction in that case!
The black members of the jury were too concerned with making a civil rights statement then seeing OJ go to prison. No Justice.
Old 09-08-2018, 05:23 PM

Theres a case here in South Arkansas. The Disappearance of Maud Crawford. She was an attorney in the 40s snd 50s. Her husband had went to the movies and she was home alone. Sitting in a chair snapping green beans with her dog by her side. Her husband came home and she was gone. No sign of her has ever been found. She was working on a case for a rich woman whose family were trying to get her committed or determined unable to conduct her financial affairs. Rumors have flown for years about this rich family. They are still in the area.
Old 09-08-2018, 05:31 PM

The Margaret and Seana Tapp ("shawn-ah", not "see-anna") case i linked to above haunts me because i also grew up in Melbourne's outer easy. It's obvious that little Seana was the real target of the unknown man. since she was raped and Margaret wasn't.
Old 09-09-2018, 08:12 AM

Quote:
Originally Posted by Dr. Girlfriend View Post
This one is local to me, and we're coming up on the 30th anniversary: http://truecrimeguy.com/april-marie-tinsley/

The killer left notes and DNA in several places. Nothing has ever come of any of it.

I was a teenager when April was killed and didn't live too terribly far away. I remember my friends and myself being scared to go anywhere by ourselves after that.
I just came across the Wikipedia article on this today. (Your link also has an update.) They've arrested a suspect recently. Methods similar to GSK. Old DNA, online DNA partial match, narrow down to two brothers, steal some DNA from a garbage can (used condom ), arrest ensues.

We might need an ongoing thread for new developments in cold cases like this.
Old 09-09-2018, 09:12 AM

I recently read We Have Your Daughter, a 20th-anniversary look back at the JonBenet Ramsey case.

I knew that the Boulder Police messed up the initial investigation, but I didn't realize how bad it was. Two examples: they allowed friends of the Ramseys to inadvertently contaminate the scene; and the police logs do not record the presence of a family friend who freely admits that she was in the house that morning.

http://www.wehaveyourdaughter.net/

One potential suspect, who appears tantalizingly suspicious, committed suicide. In my opinion, that investigation was botched, too.
https://www.findagrave.com/memorial/...landon-helgoth
Old 09-10-2018, 09:31 AM
Charter Member

I read Who Killed My Daughter? about the unsolved murder of author Lois Duncan's eighteen-year-old daughter, Kaitlyn Arquette, in July 1989.
Old 09-10-2018, 12:38 PM

I recently discovered a podcast episode about the Delphi, Indiana murders of two teenage girls just about a year and a half ago. How it remains unsolved is the real mystery because police have released a picture of the main suspect, a detailed sketch, voice audio, and apparently they have video of at least part, if not all of the crime. But there have been no arrests. It's a bit of a rabbit hole.
Old 09-15-2018, 01:54 AM

What amazes me is when I come across some of these that are solved, decades later and the body is found within a half a mile or so of the place of disappearance.

It shows how easy it is to overlook things.
Old 09-15-2018, 09:45 AM

Quote:
Something very similar happened hear less than two years ago, no public indications of trouble, he just came home, killed his son and wife, set the house on fire and committed suicide, all with his service weapon...there very well could be underlying issues that were never made public, but very similar to the situation you referenced...

https://www.timesunion.com/news/arti...e-11285808.php
I believe this phenomenon is called Family Annihilation: The Suicide...usually a man...has an over-developed sense of importance. Not so much Narciccism, but that others vitally depend on him to survive.

For one reason or another he decides killing himself is the only way out, and going on without him is a fate worse than death, so he "mercifully puts them out of their misery."