Old 08-09-2018, 08:01 PM

English Premier League 2018-19

Kickoff is tomorrow at 3 pm Eastern Daylight Time. The opening game for the season is Manchester United v. Leicester City (GO FOXES!!).

Time for your predictions, commentary, hopes, dreams, etc.!!!

Mine: Foxes finally get it right again for most of the season, and secure a spot in the Europa League and/or win one of the two cups.

I don't see either Chelsea or Man U. winning the League. I don't think City will repeat. Could this mean, heaven forbid, 'Pool doing it????
Old 08-09-2018, 09:55 PM
Charter Member

I’m all on board for Liverpool this season. I’m even playing EPL fantasy in a league set up by my favorite Liverpool pub.
Old 08-10-2018, 01:45 AM

I read tonight that Spurs made absolutely no acquisitions during the window. That is apparently a first for a Premier League team. Guess they like what they have!
Old 08-10-2018, 09:11 AM

I've seen predictions for my Southampton squad in the 12-13th range. That is too high.

And thanks for starting this thread. It's a fun league to follow.
Old 08-10-2018, 10:02 AM
Charter Member

In the USA, it looks like NBC is doing their stupid NBC Gold paid streaming service again, a completely idiotic business decision. There aren’t enough Cardiff City supporters in the USA that are going to pay $50 to watching them online
Old 08-10-2018, 10:12 AM

Quote:
Originally Posted by dalej42 View Post
In the USA, it looks like NBC is doing their stupid NBC Gold paid streaming service again, a completely idiotic business decision. There aren’t enough Cardiff City supporters in the USA that are going to pay $50 to watching them online
I don't quite understand the idea behind how they have it set up. I mean, I know that they want to show a lot of games that will get high viewer numbers to promote the product, so having a fair number of Man U and Chelsea and 'Pool games free makes sense. But NBC must think that most of those supporters in the US are not serious fans, because otherwise, you'd think they would be exactly the peeps to shell out money for the right to view all their team's games. Instead, those teams play the minimum of games on the Gold, while we who root for teams not in the top six end up getting to see a rather limited selection of games, and mostly only games our teams are going to lose, since they are inevitably against one of the top six.

I might do it this year, but I won't be happy about it. I hate this new model of having to pay individually for everything you want to see. I know it will end up costing more than buying things for one price.
Old 08-10-2018, 10:28 AM

Quote:
Originally Posted by DSYoungEsq View Post
I might do it this year, but I won't be happy about it. I hate this new model of having to pay individually for everything you want to see. I know it will end up costing more than buying things for one price.
Be careful what you wish for (not the personal you, but the collective you). People have been clamoring for a la carte programming for decades now. This is how it is going to be.
Old 08-10-2018, 11:39 AM

The Liverpool match and Man City v Arsenal are being broadcast for free on Telemundo.
Old 08-10-2018, 12:12 PM

Utd should win in a canter frankly.
Old 08-11-2018, 02:20 PM

Quote:
Originally Posted by adam.akim View Post
Guardiola is my favourite coaches but he is not the man for Manchester City his philosophy cannot work with their players.
It surely had lots of problems last year.

And you do know that the transfer window is closed for the Prem now, right? Won't be open again until winter...

Already, not a full weekend in and we have a refereeing controversy or two. But what a game between Wolves and the Toffees!
Old 08-12-2018, 12:30 PM

One weekend down, and it already looks like Liverpool v. the Cityzens for the title.
Old 08-12-2018, 12:40 PM

Quote:
Guardiola is my favourite coaches but he is not the man for Manchester City his philosophy cannot work with their players.
They won the league with 100pts last season!

This could be the last season for Tottenham with some of their top players - becasue it's difficult to see the likes of Kane and Alli sticking around for another season unless they win some silverware. But with a new stadium, and the likes of City and Liverpool ahead of them I can't see where that'll come from. Perhaps an FA Cup or Europa League if they go out of the CL group stages.

Transition season for Arsenal.

Mourinho is already throwing his toys out the pram - can he still motivate his Manchester United team? I hate that man so I hope it all falls apart from him. No class whatsoever.

My top 6 predition:

Manchester City
Liverpool
Chelsea
Manchester United
Tottenham
Arsenal
Old 08-12-2018, 12:52 PM

Which means he’ll win the Continental Treble and take a big payday move to PSG.
He is at his best when he has his tantrums in the press.
Old 08-12-2018, 01:04 PM
Charter Member

Liverpool looked impressive versus West Ham. Hopefully, this is a sign that they're not going to play down to the level of their competition. That's been quite frusterating the last couple of seasons.
Old 08-19-2018, 11:37 AM
Charter Member

Let's start the Mourinho countdown clock. As of the 75 minute mark, Brighton 3 Man U 1
Old 08-19-2018, 11:40 PM

United were awful. Not only poor on defense, but completely inept on offense, going the second half without really putting the goal in danger (except for Pogba's excellent shot). Mourinho is poisoning that team, which isn't the greatest assemblage of talent in the world to begin with (except for the proven talent of Pogba and Lukaku; see: World Cup 2018).
Old 08-20-2018, 11:50 AM

Welcome to the boards, alex404! As a United fan, I hate to say it, but I think you're absolutely right. City won't be as dominant this year, but no-one has the strength in depth to seriously challenge them. The only way I can see them slipping up is if they focus on Europe so much that they put out seriously weakened teams in the Premiership and drop a few points, but their second-string is better than most clubs' first choices, so can't really see that having a big enough effect.

By the way, I checked out your link and it looks totally legit, but if you haven't already you might want to run it past the moderators of the board - I can't remember the rules on promoting your own stuff on this board, I think it's pretty strict. Either way, I hope you stick around.
Old 08-20-2018, 02:22 PM
Charter Member

I know it’s all about the money, but that is one horrible football kit that Liverpool is wearing tonight!
Old 08-20-2018, 08:28 PM

At least it doesn't have pink shirts or yellow socks...
Old 08-20-2018, 10:27 PM

Quote:
Originally Posted by Dead Cat View Post
Welcome to the boards, alex404! As a United fan, I hate to say it, but I think you're absolutely right. City won't be as dominant this year, but no-one has the strength in depth to seriously challenge them. The only way I can see them slipping up is if they focus on Europe so much that they put out seriously weakened teams in the Premiership and drop a few points, but their second-string is better than most clubs' first choices, so can't really see that having a big enough effect.

By the way, I checked out your link and it looks totally legit, but if you haven't already you might want to run it past the moderators of the board - I can't remember the rules on promoting your own stuff on this board, I think it's pretty strict. Either way, I hope you stick around.
They lost imo the best player in the world, de Bruyne, for 3 months and now their starting GK with an Achilles tear. Bet they wish the 5ransfer window was still open like everywhere else
Old 08-21-2018, 07:42 AM

Quote:
Originally Posted by madsircool View Post
They lost imo the best player in the world, de Bruyne, for 3 months and now their starting GK with an Achilles tear. Bet they wish the 5ransfer window was still open like everywhere else
Bravo is the keeper with an achilles tear, and he is the backup keeper to Ederson. I think they should be fine.
Old 08-22-2018, 12:01 PM
Charter Member

If you’re in the USA, I suggest watching All
Or Nothing: Man City on Amazon Prime. It’s quite good, even if you’re not a city supporter.
Old 08-22-2018, 05:43 PM

Looks like Watford may be continuing their recent trend of starting fast and then holding on for dear life, narrowly avoiding the relegation zone. Beats playing in the Championship, I suppose
Old 08-25-2018, 01:46 PM
Charter Member

Liverpool with a 3rd consecutive win and 3rd consecutive clean sheet.

And, they've loaned out Karius, odd to think that just a few months ago he was the starter in the Champions League final. I know nothing about football in Turkey, but I highly doubt Karius was thinking of kebabs in Turkey when he was starting in the Champions League final!

https://www.thisisanfield.com/2018/0...pool-struggle/
Old 08-26-2018, 06:13 PM

Quote:
If Chelsea sells Costa in China their attack will not be so strong .So if he goes their chances will become very slim in my opinion they will not be able to defend their title.
To defend City's title? And you're aware that Costa is back with Atletico?
I don't have any problem with Morata (seven goals in first eight games last season before injuries), Hazard and Giroud for attack. I definitely expect a significant improvement with Chelsea over last season, however their last two victories - over Arsenal and Newcastle - were not the least bit convincing.

Against Arsenal last week, it was 2-2 at the half, but it should have been 4-2 for Arsenal, actually 5-2, but the Gooners kept missing repeated attempts from six yards out, at least twice wedging it over the net. And today in Newcastle the Blues went up on a questionable penalty, but then some hilarious karma went down when DeAndre Yedlin elbowed Giroud in the jaw just before assisting on Joselu's excellent header goal, but then own goaled, moments later, for the loss. (Actually Giroud should've kept on playing after the elbow, until the whistle, to help his team, instead of going to ground)

Geez Ronaldo looks strange in a Juve kit. Saw him last week against Chievo, where he let off some howitzers from around the 18 that just sailed wide. Didn't see the Juve win against Lazio today but CR is still scoreless for the season.

Watching PSG this season will be a joy not for watching Neymar nor Cavanni, but Mbappe, who was formidable at WC, and still 19! Scored a well-directed goal today against Angers.

Despite the lack of Barca fans here, I'll still report on the 1-0 win over Valladolid, which had the strangest pitch, leaving GIGANTIC divots everywhere. Dembele (who scored on an amazing Roberto assist ) has to prove himself this season, considering last year he wasn't quite up to expectations, including Messi's, who unfortunately had to gripe about this to the press last season. Even Dembele acknowledged last season his trepidation at not meeting expectations. Amazing ball handler.

OOWHAAA!!!

Last edited by Guest-starring: Id!; 08-26-2018 at 06:15 PM.
Old 08-27-2018, 03:56 PM
Charter Member

Tottenham 3 Man U 0

Wow, Mourinho meltdown ahead?

I only saw a few minutes of the match so can’t really comment as to how well Man U played. Obviously, Twitter is blowing up with all sorts of ‘Sacked in the Morning’ tweets.
Old 08-27-2018, 04:22 PM

Man U started well - looking to respond to their lose to Brighton. But Spurs were clinical in taking their chances and United looked poor after they went behind.

Mourhino made six changes to his starting line up. It surely didn't help.

Last edited by Fiendish Astronaut; 08-27-2018 at 04:23 PM.
Old 08-27-2018, 04:37 PM
Charter Member

Mourinho:

All our fans don’t read papers, all our fans don’t watch television, all our fans are more intelligent than than- They answered in an absolutely amazing way.

I think it’s safe to say that 99% of the people who buy Man U membership and buy tickets for Tottenham matches on a Monday night have more than a casual interest in football and expect more from Man U.

Last edited by dalej42; 08-27-2018 at 04:38 PM.
Old 08-27-2018, 06:00 PM

United had two really good chances to take the lead, especially the open net shot from Lukaku in the first half. Perhaps if they had done so, it would be different result.

Second half, they made a hash of defense. Jones looked lost, and Smalling made an appalling error for the third. Indeed, I'm gonna start calling him Appalling Smalling.
Old 09-15-2018, 02:04 PM

Those lucky Liverpool reprobates - in what was basically the last play of the game, the Spurs' Heung-Min Song's left foot was clipped, in the box, preventing him from getting a shot off (from, like, 12 yards out) as Liverpool preserved a 2-1 victory.*

Watched some more PSG brilliance yesterday. (I am going to really REALLY enjoy watching these flashy show-offs this season...artistry incarnate.)
Even without Neymar and Mbappe (the latter suspended, but did this last week), Julian Draxler, replacing Mbappe, did this prettiness yesterday, opening up his Ligue 1 account in impressive fashion, and adding new meaning to the phrase doubleheader.

*ETA - annoyed that neither the play-by-play nor the TWO colour commentators acknowledged the infraction's obviousness in the replay.

Last edited by Guest-starring: Id!; 09-15-2018 at 02:07 PM.
Old 09-23-2018, 06:16 PM

Quote:
Originally Posted by Guest-starring: Id! View Post
Spurs' Heung-Min Song.
That should be Son.

Lucky duck Hotspurs, with three defeats in a row already under their belt this season, came to within a komodo dragon's breath to blowing a two-goal lead in the final minute of injury time against Brighton, when Seaguller Anthony Knockaert (apparently in a battle royale with depression) sent it past Gazzaniga, and then thirty seconds later (last play of game) Knockaert let go another strike from almost the exact same position, but a much weaker attempt.
On final whistle, Tottenham manager Mauricio Pochettino hilariously blew out a huge exhale before shaking hands with Brighton manager Chris Hughton.

Last edited by Guest-starring: Id!; 09-23-2018 at 06:19 PM.
Old 09-24-2018, 01:20 AM

Good thing Arsenal's winning goal wasn't the second one in their 2-0 win over Everton. Goal #2 was quite offside, despite a nifty-looking final assist that was a lay-off off the inside of I Forget's boot. But oooohhh baby (as the annoying Bob Cole'd say) Lacazette's opening goal, and fortunately the winner, was a dan-dy. (you'll wanna enlarge the screen)

International powerhouses Wolverhampton go into Old Trafford and manage to scramble to a 1-1 result, putting a damper on Alex Ferguson's first visit back to a game since his brain haemmorhage five months ago.
Jose needs to turn it around quickly - pretty dismal display they put on, again.

And lucky ducks Chelsea should have lost 1-0 to the Hammers, but Yarmalenko missed a header from, like, zero feet out, right at the very end (Ruth Buzzi could have made it) and settle with 0-0 draw.

Last edited by Guest-starring: Id!; 09-24-2018 at 01:24 AM.
Old 09-30-2018, 01:42 PM

Yes! Still my very own footy thread for the past couple of weeks as I lord over it, dark prince style - BWAWAHAHAHAHAHAAAAAH!!!!!!!
And it is all mine! now, heh, heh.

If Man U's suckage continues for one more week, then rumours of Morhinho to be the first EPL manager to get sacked this season just might happen. There's been mumblings of Zidane possibly replacing him.

Chelsea was lucky to get away with a 1-1 draw against Liverpool - Shaqiri missed a glorious opportunity. I was surprised Klopp had him sub for Salah instead of maybe Forminho, who, formidable as he is, isn't quite the offensive threat Salah is, and what Liverpool were needing when they were still down 1-0 at the time of the subbing.

And speaking of formidable, Liverpool's front three (deservedly) make the headlines, however, the back two - Gomez and van Dijk (especially this game, except for the Hazard goal) can really shut the door down. And Hazard - what a season he's having.

Former Blues Sturridge tied it up with just a couple of fucking minutes left with an admittedly pretty nice goal

Here I thought David Luis was "getting on", but apart from a near-costly blunder near the end, he played a very solid game, with challenges up the yin-yang and crisp passing.
Old 09-30-2018, 08:59 PM

My Foxes are starting to do what they need to do this year: win the games they are supposed to win. Nice move up the table has resulted. I would love to not have any silly relegation worries for a change.

Sturridge goal was just amazing. A rare example of Kanté not doing his job as a defender.

United looked pathetic. The way Arnautovic split the defenders for the third goal shouldn't happen to anyone in the Prem, even if the Hammers did commit a foul to get the ball back to start it off.
Old 10-05-2018, 03:53 PM
Charter Member

Not sure I believe it.

https://www.mirror.co.uk/sport/footb...end-13370135?2
Old 10-07-2018, 12:59 PM

Quote:
Originally Posted by dalej42 View Post
Quote:
Early Saturday morning club sources said the boss is not under 'immediate threat' - but he still faces the sack.
Heh, not sure if I'd call that cold comfort.

Normally I don't like to post until I've seen all the weekend's games, but I had to come in here to show this fine down-the-pitch sequence and then deft inside of the left heel finish by Gunner Ramsey. (unfortunately a bit slow loading, and the full sequence doesn't start until -:23)
Old 10-08-2018, 08:36 PM

Heh - the curse of no more Ronaldo?
In their worst run in 11 years, Real Madrid are goalless in their last four, after losing in the final play (ha!) of injury time against a surprising Alaves side that's managed to place themselves currently in La Liga's top three.
Bale was looking fragile - probably on the verge of another injury, and Benzema has been just flat-out invisible so far this season. (And now he has a hamstring injury!) Isco is continually one of the few players who has shown consistent quality.

First time Alaves have beaten RM since '31.
Old 10-09-2018, 07:22 AM

It would be wonderful to get some new blood at the top of the major tables. Sevilla is currently leading La Liga by a nose hair, although the big three of Barca, Real and Atletico are in the next three spots. And with 20% of the Bundesliga season over, Bayern is sitting sixth, four points back of Dortmund. Now the odds of things continuing in this vein are probably pretty long but even great teams can get old and/or lose their mojo.
Old 10-09-2018, 07:58 AM

Quote:
Originally Posted by Guest-starring: Id! View Post
..., and Benzema has been just flat-out invisible so far this season....
I think that is how Benzema has been for the past few seasons.
Old 10-13-2018, 09:35 PM

Abolish friendlies.
Old 10-25-2018, 11:43 AM

I must say that I have to give props to the Arsenal for the third goal Monday against my beloved Foxes. That goal is classic Arsenal football, which I have enjoyed watching when they play it for years. The deft pass from Özil to Aubameyang at the end, done with the outside of the left foot because that's the one he had available, is sublime, perhaps even more sublime than the re-direction he scored on in the first half.

God help the rest of the League if Emery manages to get them playing like that regularly.
Old 10-27-2018, 02:20 PM

Well, Foxes get lucky and survive with a draw against the Hammers. Mind you, it took #LCFC more than 45 min. to score against 10 men. Not exactly potent on offense right now.
Old 10-27-2018, 04:18 PM

The Leicester owners helicopter has crashed moments after taking off from the pitch. Doesn't look at all good. Sorry, I can't post links with this device.
Old 10-27-2018, 05:26 PM
Charter Member

Current news reports of the crash are very confused. One report says that the ambulances left slowly and not on blue lights, which is very bad news.

From the BBC:

Quote:
Posted at 23:0923:09
Post update
Sky Sports are reporting that Leicester City vice-chairman Aiyawatt Srivaddhanaprabha was also NOT on board the helicopter.

They earlier said Jon Rudkin, the Director of Football at Leicester City was also NOT on board.
But let us remember that the pilot was definitely on board.

Separately, Glenn Hoddle, the former England manager, has been taken to hospital.
Old 10-27-2018, 07:12 PM

Left to be determined is whether or not the Chairman/Owner was on board.

I've seen the video; it's doubtful anyone survived. God help them.
Old 10-28-2018, 10:26 AM
Charter Member

A sad update: the chairman and three other people are believed to have died.
Old 12-03-2018, 07:12 PM

Heh - bit of zombie rehab, here.

Man U continue to turn up the suck, managing just a draw in Southampton. Only 14 games in, they're already trailing table leaders City by 16 points.

Saw awesome assist yesterday from Messi to interesting prospect Carles Alena. Quite the through ball.

Total cracker of a north London derby. Well, came down to earth a bit when Arsenal pulled ahead 4-2 over Tots. Great game.

Is Klopp weirder than Mourinho? (ok maybe not weapons grade effed up like coprophiliac Joachim Low, but skeevy enough)
Old 12-03-2018, 09:16 PM

Missed edit window by, oh, millenia.

What a scary fuckin set of teeth that dude has.

Edit on the edit - ok maybe not scary, but formidable.

Last edited by Guest-starring: Id!; 12-03-2018 at 09:19 PM.
Old 12-04-2018, 05:19 PM

I've noticed in the last few weekends that teams will sometimes do a substitution during the second half stoppage time. Is there really that much benefit to having one fresh set of legs on the pitch for two minutes, or is more of a delaying/confusion tactic ?
Old 12-04-2018, 05:59 PM

Sometimes its just so a player will get a standing ovation coming off the pitch.