Old 04-23-2019, 03:06 AM

Quote:
Originally Posted by JohnT View Post
Luke Walton sued for sexual battery:

http://m.tmz.com/#!2019/04/22/luke-w...exual-battery/
And it's Kelli Tennant, a former reporter that worked with Walton and covered the Lakers for a time, leaving her position at Spectrum shortly after another incident with Walton at a charity event.

Walton has hired the lawyer that defended Derrick Rose in his sexual assault suit, so I fear things are going to get ugly.
Old 04-24-2019, 09:11 AM

Damian Lillard adds to his legend in Portland with a 50 point game, incredible shooting throughout, and a 37-foot buzzer beater at the end to win the game and series. Simply unbelievable.

The Thunder finally got the message, don't leave Lillard unguarded outside the arc, so Paul George was a good 6 feet beyond it. No problem, Dame will just launch it from 37. Bottom of the net, game over.

On the one hand, maybe a better play would have been to drive to the hoop and make them avoid the foul. But you can't argue with results, and with the way he'd been shooting all night (10-18 from 3 pt), that hoop was 10 feet wide.
Old 04-24-2019, 10:17 AM
Charter Member

Quote:
Originally Posted by TroutMan View Post
Damian Lillard adds to his legend in Portland with a 50 point game, incredible shooting throughout, and a 37-foot buzzer beater at the end to win the game and series. Simply unbelievable.

The Thunder finally got the message, don't leave Lillard unguarded outside the arc, so Paul George was a good 6 feet beyond it. No problem, Dame will just launch it from 37. Bottom of the net, game over.

On the one hand, maybe a better play would have been to drive to the hoop and make them avoid the foul. But you can't argue with results, and with the way he'd been shooting all night (10-18 from 3 pt), that hoop was 10 feet wide.
Crazy finish to a game that OKC had in hand right from the beginning. It was a low percentage shot, even for someone who was that hot, but the worst that could have happened was that the game would have gone to OT. That final three minutes was nuts, with several players stepping up. Seth Curry probably made the key play with his inbound steal, and Harkless finally found his free throw shot. Nurkic was apparently watching from home and made his way to Moda to support the team near the end, arriving to a huge ovation from fans and players.

The best part was the wave to the OKC bench after he nailed the shot. Now they play either Denver or SAS.

Last edited by Chefguy; 04-24-2019 at 10:18 AM.
Old 04-24-2019, 12:45 PM

That was an awesome ending for the Blazers and Lillard. I'm still lamenting my Pacers.
Old 04-24-2019, 08:05 PM

Russell Westbrook, much like Carmelo Anthony, is an outstanding individual talent, but he will never win a title. Kevin Durant was smart to leave that shit show.
Old 04-24-2019, 09:40 PM

Quote:
But you can't argue with results...
Paul George, in the presser afterwards, didn't so much argue as stupidly tried to diss Lilllard by repeatedly saying, ad nauseam, that it was a bad shot.

Riiiiiiight, considering DL has gone 5 for 5 from beyond 30 feet these play-offs. (Whoa)
Old 04-24-2019, 10:07 PM

A well-defended fadeaway from 35+ feet IS a bad shot. Just like Durant's dagger straight up over James a few years back was a bad shot. Just because you make it, doesn't mean it's a good shot.

That wave, though. Absolute savagery that I'd expect from Westbrook, not Lillard.

Last edited by Chisquirrel; 04-24-2019 at 10:07 PM. Reason: Added a nut
Old 04-25-2019, 09:22 AM

Quote:
Originally Posted by Chisquirrel View Post
A well-defended fadeaway from 35+ feet IS a bad shot. Just like Durant's dagger straight up over James a few years back was a bad shot. Just because you make it, doesn't mean it's a good shot.
ESPN had an analysis that for players like Lillard and Steph Curry, it's not that bad a shot. This season Lillard was 40% from 30-40 feet. Of course, this one was from the outer end of that range, and 2 points would have been the same as 3, so it still wasn't great.

In the post-game interview, Dame said he considered driving to the basket but didn't want to put the game in the hands of the ref and worry about them making or not making a game-deciding call. He felt comfortable at that range after the night he'd had.

Quote:
That wave, though. Absolute savagery that I'd expect from Westbrook, not Lillard.
Lillard saved it for the end of the series, after stoically ignoring all the BS Westbrook, Shroder, and the rest of the Thunder threw out for winning one game. Lillard was truly savage, Westbrook's antics are just clownish.
Old 04-25-2019, 12:32 PM
Charter Member

Quote:
ESPN had an analysis that for players like Lillard and Steph Curry, it's not that bad a shot. This season Lillard was 40% from 30-40 feet. Of course, this one was from the outer end of that range, and 2 points would have been the same as 3, so it still wasn't great.

In the post-game interview, Dame said he considered driving to the basket but didn't want to put the game in the hands of the ref and worry about them making or not making a game-deciding call. He felt comfortable at that range after the night he'd had.

Lillard saved it for the end of the series, after stoically ignoring all the BS Westbrook, Shroder, and the rest of the Thunder threw out for winning one game. Lillard was truly savage, Westbrook's antics are just clownish.
Totally agree. After the taunting, mocking, and last second unnecessary dunk at the end of game 3 by OKC, a wave to the bench was pretty innocuous. In a pre-game interview, Lillard said that POR wasn't going to engage with OKC players other than playing hard against them. He said something like: "We're not talking to them; the only people we're talking to are each other and the people in black and white."
Old 04-25-2019, 12:36 PM

Saying a made-37-footer was "a bad shot" is useless. Had Lillard missed it, there would be no need to say anything. Having made it, George would have been best off saying "it was one hell of a shot"
Old 04-25-2019, 01:01 PM

Quote:

Nope. Just because it wasn't good odds to make that attempt successful does not in any way mean that the ultimately successful attempt was bad, especially with his current success at that range.
Old 04-25-2019, 01:30 PM

Quote:
Originally Posted by phungi View Post
Saying a made-37-footer was "a bad shot" is useless. Had Lillard missed it, there would be no need to say anything. Having made it, George would have been best off saying "it was one hell of a shot"
And he said almost exactly that, long before the "bad shot" quote that has been thrown everywhere.

Quote:
Originally Posted by Paul George
“I tip my hat off. Contested. Thirty-five plus feet out. It was his night and he felt it.”
George was never saying Lillard was bad for taking the shot. With time winding down, that is exactly the sort of shot you want to force - long distance, with a hand right in the face. The entire quote is in response to a question asking "Is there anything a defender can do, with the way the game is going, in terms of those 36, 37-footers? You defended it about as well as you can. At some point, you just kinda have to let the guy shoot that and live with the results, right?"

To put it simply, with four seconds left, which do you want - someone throwing up a LONG contested three or driving to the basket?
Old 04-25-2019, 01:37 PM

There's something to be said for waiting in a tie game to shoot until the other team will have no time for another possession and creating the shot in a way where your risk of turning the ball over is negligible. It's a little like being super conservative in a tie game in football with time winding down and then kicking a long field goal. I don't disagree with Paul George if he was criticizing the shot selection, not the shot itself. It had a twenty-something percent chance of going in, bottom line.
Old 04-25-2019, 02:20 PM

Quote:
Lillard was 1-7 from 35+ Tuesday night before the dagger.
Old 04-25-2019, 04:10 PM

Clippers beating Warriors, yey. With Game 6 at home, there's a strong chance they could force a Game 7, and then anything can happen.
Old 04-25-2019, 04:43 PM

So far in the series, the Clippers are 0-2 at home and 2-1 away. I'm not sure being back home for Game 6 will be an advantage.
Old 04-25-2019, 05:08 PM
Charter Member

I'm trying to figure out who is a better opponent for POR, Denver or SAS. Jokic is a real problem inside and is a good ball handler, whereas the Blazers have less trouble with their former teammate Aldridge, who can be stripped. If nothing else, I hope that series goes to seven to tire out the winner.
Old 04-27-2019, 11:45 PM

What were the Spurs doing there at the end? Down 4 with 25 seconds left and they don’t foul?
Old 04-28-2019, 06:50 AM

What are thoughts on Bucks-Celtics? Should be a good series with several close games, but I think the Bucks will take it, probably in six. The “let ‘em shoot the three” Bucks defense might not work after this round, though. But opponents having to sometimes double-team Giannis might push them through to the finals. Brogdon’s return to health would be a big help.
Old 04-28-2019, 09:44 AM
Charter Member

Quote:
Originally Posted by borschevsky View Post
What were the Spurs doing there at the end? Down 4 with 25 seconds left and they don’t foul?
Beats me. Neither team could hit water if they fell out of a rowboat. Lots of razzle-dazzle plays and pinpoint passing, but conversion to points was sorely lacking. I'm amazed that SAS was able to close the gap. Perhaps both teams are just exhausted, which may be good news for the next round with POR.
Old 04-28-2019, 09:53 AM

Quote:
Originally Posted by JKellyMap View Post
What are thoughts on Bucks-Celtics? Should be a good series with several close games, but I think the Bucks will take it, probably in six. The “let ‘em shoot the three” Bucks defense might not work after this round, though. But opponents having to sometimes double-team Giannis might push them through to the finals. Brogdon’s return to health would be a big help.
I'd have said Bucks in 4 or 5 before the Pacers series, but Boston looked good in it. So, why not Bucks in 6?

Rockets Warriors today. Funny how it feels like all 82 games, the preseason, draft, trades: all boil down to these next 4 or more games. Can't wait. Rockets in 6, as I don't think this Warriors team is anywhere near as dominant as the past few.
Old 04-28-2019, 07:58 PM

I had a feeling the Celtics would win this first game — I swear! Al Horford came ready to defend Giannis. This one could easily go to seven, as could the Rockets-Warriors. So could Portland-Denver, for that matter. I think only the Raptors will have an easy time getting through this round.
Old 04-29-2019, 09:34 AM
Charter Member

Quote:
I had a feeling the Celtics would win this first game — I swear! Al Horford came ready to defend Giannis. This one could easily go to seven, as could the Rockets-Warriors. So could Portland-Denver, for that matter. I think only the Raptors will have an easy time getting through this round.
Especially since both Curry and Thompson have ankle sprains. GS has a really deep bench, but having both of them sidelined is a problem.
Old 04-30-2019, 12:12 AM

Rockets made public a statistical analysis showing how the NBA officiating favors the Warriors. This isn't some sore-loser whining, either; they make detailed analysis of 81 officiating errors (including some that favored Houston.)

https://www.si.com/nba/2019/04/29/ro...ficiating-memo
Old 04-30-2019, 01:14 AM

Let me know when snipers stop getting Harden in the chin from the rafters, then I'll give a shit about what the Rockets think regarding officiating.

ETA: The "memo" is from LAST year, the final game of the Western Conference Finals. It's cherry-picking at it's finest.

Last edited by Chisquirrel; 04-30-2019 at 01:16 AM. Reason: Added a nut
Old 04-30-2019, 04:15 AM
Charter Member

Quote:
Originally Posted by Velocity View Post
This isn't some sore-loser whining, either;
Yeah, it is. The NBA has 'politely disagreed' with Houston's methodology.
Old 04-30-2019, 09:17 AM
Charter Member

Portland looked somewhat overwhelmed in their opener with DEN, although the score remained fairly close throughout. McCollum started hot and kind of fizzled. Good to see Kanter able to play, as this would have been a rout without him. Hood actually showed up for a change, but was tending to run and gun whenever he was in, which meant that Seth Curry rarely touched the ball. They've got some adjusting to do if they're going to make a good showing in this series.
Old 05-02-2019, 09:38 AM
Charter Member

Portland stole one at Denver last night, despite the Blazers' horrible rebounding (Denver had 23 offensive rebounds). They were able to limit Jokic to 16 points and Denver had a lousy second quarter. An accidental collision sent Craig out with what appeared to be a broken nose, although he returned. A second collision between he and Kanter (Kanter was pushed into him by Jokic) sent Craig to the floor and caused a scuffle on the floor resulting in offsetting technicals. For Portland, Harkless sprained an ankle. Hopefully it doesn't sideline him.

Anyway, if PDX can fend them off for two home games, they may actually win this thing.
Old 05-02-2019, 10:14 AM

Quote:
Originally Posted by Chefguy View Post
Portland stole one at Denver last night, despite the Blazers' horrible rebounding (Denver had 23 offensive rebounds). They were able to limit Jokic to 16 points and Denver had a lousy second quarter. An accidental collision sent Craig out with what appeared to be a broken nose, although he returned. A second collision between he and Kanter (Kanter was pushed into him by Jokic) sent Craig to the floor and caused a scuffle on the floor resulting in offsetting technicals. For Portland, Harkless sprained an ankle. Hopefully it doesn't sideline him.

Anyway, if PDX can fend them off for two home games, they may actually win this thing.
The only reason the Nuggets had to many offensive rebounds is because they missed sooooo many shots. The fact that Denver couldn't capitalize on Lillard's off night, and at home, does not bode well. I figured this series for 7 games, but who knows.
Old 05-02-2019, 12:26 PM

What the first round generally lacked in good playoff basketball, the second round giveth in spades. Three of four series are already tied and shaping up to be fantastic, and they all have their own storylines to follow. We get the Raptors and 76ers again tonight, and I'm interested to see how the Leonard/Simmons matchup continues.
Old 05-02-2019, 09:47 PM

Ben Simmons slams an elbow into Kyle Lowry's nuts - no foul.

Pascal Siakim raises a leg after getting mauled to the ground by Embiid - flagrant 1.

If Simmons doesn't get at LEAST a retroactive F1 for this, it's a fucking joke.
Old 05-03-2019, 01:48 AM

Quote:
I think only the Raptors will have an easy time getting through this round.
The Raps were handily beaten tonight as the Sixers go up 2-1. Raps defense fell apart.

Quote:

Cool that Lowry took the high road, afterwards, about getting bagged:

“It was nothing. He said he didn’t mean to do it. I’m not gonna dwell on something that wasn’t called. It is what it is. It’s not a big deal.”

Heh - maybe after the next game they might rendezvous in the hall.
Old 05-03-2019, 02:20 AM

Quote:
Originally Posted by Guest-starring: Id! View Post
Cool that Lowry took the high road, afterwards, about getting bagged:

“It was nothing. He said he didn’t mean to do it. I’m not gonna dwell on something that wasn’t called. It is what it is. It’s not a big deal.”

Heh - maybe after the next game they might rendezvous in the hall.
This. And the same thing happened after Siakim's kick, as well. It was pretty obviously a heat of the moment thing, for both incidents. That one was ignored and the other called reeks of poor officiating, to me. Not like that hasn't been a brutally consistent refrain for most NBA fans this season.
Old 05-03-2019, 07:47 AM

I mean, in game 2 the Raptors' coach got a tech after his discussion with a ref was over and he'd turned away and was walking back to his bench, whereas the 76ers' coach was allowed to run onto the court during play and the refs just ignored him, so...
Old 05-03-2019, 12:37 PM
Charter Member

Quote:
Originally Posted by Rysto View Post
I mean, in game 2 the Raptors' coach got a tech after his discussion with a ref was over and he'd turned away and was walking back to his bench, whereas the 76ers' coach was allowed to run onto the court during play and the refs just ignored him, so...
He probably muttered something like "fucking asshole" while he was walking away, and the ref heard it.

Loved seeing Philly go up 2-1. They really turned their season around after a seemingly lackluster start.
Old 05-03-2019, 01:25 PM
Charter Member

From the view available to us in San Antonio, seeing Kawhitter down 2-1 is quite awesome. #Philly
Old 05-03-2019, 03:03 PM

Quote:
He probably muttered something like "fucking asshole" while he was walking away, and the ref heard it.
They were pretty far apart by that point. I kinda got the feeling that the ref had already decided to give the tech but didn't want to do it while he and the coach were in each other's faces. I'm not sure if that's standard procedure or not -- it may be a deescalation thing they're trained to do.

It was still frustrating to see the 76ers' coach get off scott free for a far worse infraction. Wouldn't any player get a suspension if he left the bench and stepped onto the court? I see to recall Phoenix being screwed by such a rule years ago in the playoffs against the Spurs.
Old 05-03-2019, 04:33 PM
Charter Member

Quote:
Ben Simmons slams an elbow into Kyle Lowry's nuts - no foul.

Pascal Siakim raises a leg after getting mauled to the ground by Embiid - flagrant 1.

Done. Just announced on radio. No link, sorry.
Old 05-03-2019, 04:38 PM

Lowry always seems to play poorly in the playoffs.. If they go out in the 2nd round, will Kahwi stay?
Old 05-03-2019, 05:00 PM

Quote:
Originally Posted by JohnT View Post
Done. Just announced on radio. No link, sorry.
Here you go.
Old 05-03-2019, 06:45 PM

Quote:
Originally Posted by MortSahlFan View Post
Lowry always seems to play poorly in the playoffs.. If they go out in the 2nd round, will Kahwi stay?
I'm not sure he stays unless they make the Finals. Lowry has completely shit the bed this year, especially against the 76ers. It's always been known that the Raptors will only go as far as Leonard can take them, even with the emergence of Siakim this season. But if he's having to do almost everything already in the second round, and STILL can't get even the slightest help from anyone not from Cameroon, I can't imagine he stays. Reddick was running roughshod on them until he turned his ankle, and Kawhi can't guard EVERYONE. If Lowry/Ibaka/Gasol/Green can't get their shit together and figure out what they're doing, this series will end a lot faster than I expected, and Kawhi Leonard's career in Canada will fall apart in similar fashion. I can't think of a single non-Bay Area team that wouldn't move mountains for him. He's been absolutely ridiculous.

That said, I DO expect to see more of a challenge from them tomorrow night. You have two options after getting rocked in the mouth like they did last night - swing back or give up. There's too many veterans on this Toronto team to just roll over.
Old 05-03-2019, 06:52 PM
Charter Member

Kawhi isn't going to stay. He's going back to Cali.
Old 05-03-2019, 08:00 PM
Charter Member

Sounds like Murray is iffy for tonight's Blazer-Sixer game.
Old 05-03-2019, 09:17 PM

This Sunday is Lowry's last chance before I've permanently written him off.
Van Vleet is shooting an abysmal 31% from the field, 22% from 3 point range, and contributing 5 points a game. When there's talk of "Hey, where's Lin?" you know things are at the nadir with this team.
I might even drink a beer for this. But just after noon, though. (on left coast)
Old 05-04-2019, 01:05 AM

Denver and Portland are now in the fourth overtime, the longest playoff game since 1953. A tie at the end of the period will make it the longest playoff game ever. Jokic has played the most minutes for any player seven feet or taller.

These guys are gonna be on IVs in the locker room.

Last edited by Chisquirrel; 05-04-2019 at 01:05 AM. Reason: Changed a nut
Old 05-04-2019, 01:15 AM

And Rodney Hood comes in with two minutes to go to drop the final seven points for Portland before baby Curry made two clutch free throws to seal it with three seconds to go.

68 minutes total play time. Just incredible, even if it does mean I'm going to be really short of sleep tonight...
Old 05-04-2019, 01:16 AM
Charter Member

Old 05-04-2019, 08:38 AM
Charter Member

If I was Stotts, I'd do one of two things:

Pull Kanter off the roster so he can get some rest and hope that the Leonard/Collins duo can keep things steady underneath, and that his team can pull off the second home game.

Or keep him active but in reserve on the bench for the next game. The guy is just beat to shit and could get seriously hurt in another marathon game like this one. By the end of this last one, his left arm was just sort of hanging there, and he was limping badly.

That was, by the way, the first NBA 4OT playoff game since 1953. What a nail-biter!
Old 05-04-2019, 10:39 AM

Blazers should have won at the end of the 2nd OT with Lillard getting a good shot, and should have lost at the end of the 1st (down 2 without the ball) and 3rd being down by 4 with 30 seconds. What a game.

Quote:
...Pull Kanter off the roster so he can get some rest and hope that the Leonard/Collins duo can keep things steady underneath, and that his team can pull off the second home game.
Is Leonard injured? He hasn't played at all the last two games. I expected him to get more minutes with Kanter being iffy.
Old 05-04-2019, 04:10 PM
Charter Member

Quote:
Blazers should have won at the end of the 2nd OT with Lillard getting a good shot, and should have lost at the end of the 1st (down 2 without the ball) and 3rd being down by 4 with 30 seconds. What a game.

Is Leonard injured? He hasn't played at all the last two games. I expected him to get more minutes with Kanter being iffy.
Nope. I don't know why Stotts is working Kanter like a $2 mule. He's sent in Collins as a sub, but Big Skinny can't handle Jokic. At least Leonard can push him around.

Last edited by Chefguy; 05-04-2019 at 04:11 PM.