Old 05-04-2019, 06:55 PM

Quote:
Originally Posted by Chefguy View Post
Nope. I don't know why Stotts is working Kanter like a $2 mule. He's sent in Collins as a sub, but Big Skinny can't handle Jokic. At least Leonard can push him around.
Your last two sentences answer your first. If Jokic had been given rest, Kanter would have gotten a break. At this point, you can't afford to rest someone you need unless you absolutely have to. If Kanter came out and Jokic completely bodied his replacement, what do you do? Call one of only two timeouts for the OT to get Kanter back, down two or more points than you would have been before? Ride with it, hoping something magically changes and you can slow Jokic down? Throw in the towel?

Even Hero Hood only came in when Harkless started cramping and couldn't continue. Just gotta hope the hyperbaric chambers and fluids and trainers can work some magic by tomorrow night. Until the series ends, I don't see Kanter getting a break unless he completely breaks on the floor. It's the playoffs, baby. Only the Warriors get the luxury of coasting, now.
Old 05-05-2019, 05:45 PM
Charter Member

We'll see who is starting this afternoon. This has become the series to watch, which I wouldn't have thought could happen early in the season. Stotts made a comment about Jokic's thuggery in the last game, where it looked like he deliberately aimed an elbow at Kanter's bad shoulder. He thought it should have been an F1, and hoped that it would be charged under the game review. I agree.
Old 05-05-2019, 09:15 PM
Charter Member

Damn, a heart breaker. Lillard was ice cold from three, and Kanter wasn't hitting anything, but they still only lost by four. That Murray kid is really something.
Old 05-06-2019, 02:04 PM
Charter Jays Fan

If the Raptors choke again it sure as hell won't be because Kawhi Leonard didn't show up.

Except for Siakam when he's healthy, no one else is playing well with any sort of reliability, but here we are in the second round tied 2-2. Leonard has been astounding. He was ridiculous in Game 4 and nothing short of ridiculous would have allowed the Raptors to win.

The thing is, not even Leonard can keep this up; he can't keep shooting 62%. Someone else has to play better.
Old 05-07-2019, 10:42 AM
Charter Member

Should be a barn-burner tonight for POR-DEN. Saw the last quarters of TOR-BOS and GSW-HOU. GS almost caught them, but blew two threes at the end. Nice to see Pat Connaughton getting court time with the Raptors. I always liked his work ethic when he was with the Blazers.
Old 05-07-2019, 11:32 AM

I'm wondering when the Nuggets are just going to run out of gas. Jokic has played a hell of a lot of minutes in these playoffs and even at his pace, I don't know how long he can keep it up. I think whoever wins tonight wins the series.
Old 05-07-2019, 12:11 PM

I've been saying it for over a year, before the Cavs-Celtics trade.. Kyrie is overrated, a bad fit... Last year, the Celtics were a GREAT team w/o Irvin and Hayward. Now they're back, and they've ruined the chemistry with their play or lack of it... Way too many box-score fans on the internet. Even the "experts"on TV change their minds real quickly. Too much number-talk, instead of watching the game, and what's happening off the ball. Hustle, character, chemistry, etc.
Old 05-07-2019, 02:43 PM

Quote:
Should be a barn-burner tonight for POR-DEN. Saw the last quarters of TOR-BOS and GSW-HOU. GS almost caught them, but blew two threes at the end. Nice to see Pat Connaughton getting court time with the Raptors. I always liked his work ethic when he was with the Blazers.
The Raptors wish they had Connaughton.
Old 05-07-2019, 03:21 PM
Charter Member

Quote:
Originally Posted by Covfefe View Post
The Raptors wish they had Connaughton.
I don't know why that's stuck in my brain. My wife keeps correcting me, too. If Milwaukee takes it all, I'm sure that Paddy will be too polite to wave the ring in their faces.
Old 05-07-2019, 03:27 PM

Connaughton is a hell of a player, can do a lot...
Old 05-07-2019, 06:38 PM

Quote:
Originally Posted by RickJay View Post
The thing is, not even Leonard can keep this up; he can't keep shooting 62%. Someone else has to play better.
Yeah, basically the KW show, who's been, dare I say, Jordan-like. What had been the NBA's best three-point shooting team has been crappy from behind the arc these play-offs, as well as crappy in just about every other category. Kyle Lowry, who played his least crappiest in game four, has to be the one to get a fire lit under his butt, as evidenced by the fact that (almost) every time Brett Brown called a time-out, last game, was when Lowry sunk a basket or two (even when the Raps hadn't been mounting any rallies). With a day's rest between games now, Nick Nurse won't be able to rely on just the six guys that he played last game.

Amazing with Kawhi, that in SA he had seven 30-point performances in 87 play-off games, while in TO he's already had six 30-point play-off games. Part of that's just related to growth, however he played only two or so more minutes per play-off game with TO than with SA, so, as some of the pundits have been saying, he's been given more freedom under Nick Nurse. Pops would have been much more regimented, with a bit more focus on KW's defensive game.

Funny seeing Ebiid lumbering into the hallways with the illness shuffle (maybe fakin it today?), wearing quite the goofy fluffy white hoodie.
Old 05-07-2019, 09:29 PM

Now that was a team effort.

Raptors just thumped the 76er, 125-89. Kawhi had an off night, only getting 21, but the rest of them more than made up for it.

6 players in double figures, all 12 scored.

Last edited by cgg419; 05-07-2019 at 09:31 PM. Reason: Added info
Old 05-07-2019, 09:59 PM

I am not at all a basketball expert, but it didn't look to me like Kawhi had an off night as much as the 76ers decided that they were absolutely not going to let him beat them. Unfortunately for them, getting help on Kawhi meant open looks for other Raptors, and the shots were falling for everybody today. Even Gasol hit three 3-pointers.

Now Philadelphia face the nasty dilemma that they've feared the whole series: do they continue to bring in help on Kawhi and hope that the open man doesn't make his shots, or do they play more straight up and risk him taking over again.
Old 05-07-2019, 10:52 PM
Charter Member

Portland is down 18 at the half. Another lackluster performance by a team that doesn't seem to want to win this. I don't think they have the mindset to get back in this one.
Old 05-08-2019, 09:39 AM

Paul Millsap finally showed up for the Nuggets and Gary Harris is a really good defender. The Portland guards have not been shooting great, at least partially thanks to solid defense. I think Denver will win the series, but won't be at all surprised if the Blazers take game 6 in Portland.
Old 05-08-2019, 01:30 PM
Charter Member

Quote:
Originally Posted by Barkis is Willin' View Post
Paul Millsap finally showed up for the Nuggets and Gary Harris is a really good defender. The Portland guards have not been shooting great, at least partially thanks to solid defense. I think Denver will win the series, but won't be at all surprised if the Blazers take game 6 in Portland.
What a mess. I turned it off in the middle of the 3rd quarter. It pisses me off that other players on the team will just stand and watch the guards struggling on the perimeter and not give them any help. Also, who still thinks that run-and-gun is a good strategy? Seems like Stotts would be better off putting Collins and Leonard in and putting Kanter and Harkless in reserve.
Old 05-08-2019, 09:36 PM

Now that Brogdon is back, anything short of a trip to the finals will be disappointment.
Old 05-09-2019, 09:54 AM

Quote:
Originally Posted by MortSahlFan View Post
I've been saying it for over a year, before the Cavs-Celtics trade.. Kyrie is overrated, a bad fit... Last year, the Celtics were a GREAT team w/o Irvin and Hayward. Now they're back, and they've ruined the chemistry with their play or lack of it... Way too many box-score fans on the internet. Even the "experts"on TV change their minds real quickly. Too much number-talk, instead of watching the game, and what's happening off the ball. Hustle, character, chemistry, etc.
Irving is a fucking joke. He's just a poor man's Kobe Bryant, but missing ALL of the stuff that made Kobe a winner (and not just Shaq ). He can't carry a team, he has zero leadership, and he'll never win anything without playing next to a true transcendent player like LeBron.
Old 05-09-2019, 10:39 AM
Charter Member
Charter Member

Quote:
Originally Posted by Barkis is Willin' View Post
The Portland Trailblazers-Snatching Defeat From The Jaws Of Victory Since 1978
Old 05-09-2019, 12:27 PM

If Houston is ever going to beat Golden State, this would be the time.
Old 05-09-2019, 12:32 PM
Charter Member

GS is 29-4 when KD is out and Steph starts. Houston had a good chance yesterday, but Harden did his disappearing act again and still lost.
Old 05-09-2019, 05:08 PM
Charter Member

Quote:
Originally Posted by Czarcasm View Post
The Portland Trailblazers-Snatching Defeat From The Jaws Of Victory Since 1978
No shit. Do or die tonight. While nobody expects them to get to the finals, I'd sure like to see them get to the semis. POR can play smart ball, but they seem to get easily flustered by Denvers defense. When that happens, we're then treated to the spectacle of Aminu trying to drive to the basket and do fancy shit that's he's not really capable of.

Last edited by Chefguy; 05-09-2019 at 05:10 PM.
Old 05-09-2019, 10:34 PM

Quote:
Originally Posted by asahi View Post
If Houston is ever going to beat Golden State, this would be the time.
True that. But I like how GSW plays without KD. Less isolation, and more passing.
Old 05-09-2019, 10:53 PM
Charter Member

Glad to see Philly take it to game seven, but that span of time between the last 4th and 5th minutes of the game took about 20 minutes to get through. Did TOR really think they had a shot at catching them?

Right now, Blazers are leading DEN at halftime. Keep it up, guys.
Old 05-09-2019, 11:03 PM

So did nobody in the arena think to make a "Smoke The Nuggets" sign, or are they just not showing it?
Old 05-10-2019, 11:05 AM

Not surprised the Blazers managed to win at home. I think the Nuggs will close it out in Denver, but back to back 7 game series have to take a toll on them. Especially Jokic. Can't imagine they'll be very fresh against GSW.
Old 05-10-2019, 11:05 AM
Charter Member

Sometimes I think coach Stotts reads the Dope. He had Collins and Hood in the game for some lengthy work that paid off, and had Harkless and Aminu warming the bench for much of the game, it seemed. Hood has really been an asset in this series. On to game seven!
Old 05-10-2019, 11:59 AM

Go Warriors! Can they win tonight? Well they certainly can but Houston will be fighting for their lives.
Old 05-10-2019, 01:11 PM
Charter Member

Quote:
Originally Posted by Bullitt View Post
Go Warriors! Can they win tonight? Well they certainly can but Houston will be fighting for their lives.
Harden will be vying for the "Best Flopper in a Limited Series" award, I'm sure.
Old 05-10-2019, 03:56 PM

Quote:
Originally Posted by JohnT View Post
GS is 29-4 when KD is out and Steph starts. Houston had a good chance yesterday, but Harden did his disappearing act again and still lost.
Agreed. I think he's the MVP, and then he does stuff like that at the end of games. Hou -7.5 tonight, and while I don't think they cover, they should win.

Game 7, assuming they get there, will be interesting with no KD. Be nice if Capela could show up for a game this series.
Old 05-10-2019, 04:01 PM

Quote:
Harden will be vying for the "Best Flopper in a Limited Series" award, I'm sure.
Considering he has to compete with Curry, Green, and until recently Durant for the crown of "Who can whine to the refs the loudest and flop the hardest?" the title is really up for grabs. I just want it called evenly. Don't go over Harden's back and get a no-call, while touching Curry during a moving screen leads to a two shot foul. Either swallow the whistles or call it like a regular season game, but don't mix and match.

The NBA needs to clarify next season what a landing area is, and how much legs kicking out the defender is supposed to tolerate from the shooter.
Old 05-10-2019, 05:53 PM
Charter Member

Quote:
Originally Posted by Gray Ghost View Post
Considering he has to compete with Curry, Green, and until recently Durant for the crown of "Who can whine to the refs the loudest and flop the hardest?" the title is really up for grabs. I just want it called evenly. Don't go over Harden's back and get a no-call, while touching Curry during a moving screen leads to a two shot foul. Either swallow the whistles or call it like a regular season game, but don't mix and match.

The NBA needs to clarify next season what a landing area is, and how much legs kicking out the defender is supposed to tolerate from the shooter.
Was it Green who kept kicking people in the balls earlier in the season, or was that someone else? The guy is a thug, through and through.
Old 05-10-2019, 09:03 PM

If the Raptors choke this Sunday in game seven (like they did back in 2001 against the Sixers), I'd be surprised if Kawhi stays. If TO wins, but get swept by the Bucks next round, that will also be grounds for Kawhi's exit. My PVR was acting up and I completely missed game six. Probably would've ruined my econo one-beer drunk anyway.
Old 05-11-2019, 12:48 AM

Warriors — Yes!!!

ɯǝlqoɹd ɐ ǝʌɐɥ ǝʍ 'uoʇsnoɥ
Old 05-11-2019, 12:51 AM
Charter Member

"The James Harden Rockets have lost elimination games against both Kevin Durant and Kawhi Leonard teams without Durant and Leonard. Let that marinate."

https://twitter.com/JoshEberley/stat...863619585?s=19
Old 05-11-2019, 01:19 AM

Good one, JohnT.
Old 05-11-2019, 06:44 AM

I didn't see it, but how good are the Warriors? Take an elite player out of their lineup for 2 games and they win both games against a title-contending team. I think we talked about it on the 2017/18 thread last year that the Warriors could lose one of their top 3 and still win the NBA title, and the same might well be true this year, although Milwaukee is looking awfully good right now.
Old 05-11-2019, 06:54 AM

Absolute trash performance by most of the Rockets. Lack of urgency, attention to detail with fundamentals, and holy shit did Clint Capela get exposed. Everything was coming together for the Rockets to win that game: Curry was scoreless and in foul trouble the first half, no Durant, they outrebounded the Warriors early, the refs were in the Rockets favor. And it was still tied at halftime! Then they let the Warriors run them over the last 7 minutes of the game. Just a bunch of tin men.

On the outside, it looks like an abysmal job of preparing the team or making in game adjustments for Mike D'antoni, and it'll probably cost him his job. Can't fire the players, though I wouldn't be surprised to see some major rotation changes this offseason. Let's see if Tilman Fertitta is really going to spend some money or not.

I can't fault Harden here. He averaged something like 32/7/6 or so for the series. He's not LeBron. Another AllStar, or hell, just using the bench that got you to this point, and I think the Rockets win this series. As it is, just a great disappointment.
Old 05-11-2019, 07:22 AM

Quote:
Absolute trash performance by most of the Rockets. Lack of urgency, attention to detail with fundamentals, and holy shit did Clint Capela get exposed. Everything was coming together for the Rockets to win that game: Curry was scoreless and in foul trouble the first half, no Durant, they outrebounded the Warriors early, the refs were in the Rockets favor. And it was still tied at halftime! Then they let the Warriors run them over the last 7 minutes of the game. Just a bunch of tin men.

On the outside, it looks like an abysmal job of preparing the team or making in game adjustments for Mike D'antoni, and it'll probably cost him his job. Can't fire the players, though I wouldn't be surprised to see some major rotation changes this offseason. Let's see if Tilman Fertitta is really going to spend some money or not.

I can't fault Harden here. He averaged something like 32/7/6 or so for the series. He's not LeBron. Another AllStar, or hell, just using the bench that got you to this point, and I think the Rockets win this series. As it is, just a great disappointment.
I didn't see the game or even much of the series, but my take on D'Antoni is that he's kind of the Andy Reid of the NBA. He's great at preparing teams to win regular season games. His teams usually beat teams their supposed to. But put him in tight situations in which the team has to make adjustments, and it's a different story. D'Antoni never seems to get over that hump for whatever reason, and I doubt he ever will.
Old 05-11-2019, 08:13 AM

Quote:
I didn't see the game or even much of the series, but my take on D'Antoni is that he's kind of the Andy Reid of the NBA. He's great at preparing teams to win regular season games. His teams usually beat teams their supposed to. But put him in tight situations in which the team has to make adjustments, and it's a different story. D'Antoni never seems to get over that hump for whatever reason, and I doubt he ever will.
Andy Reid isn't a bad comp. Don Coryell might be better. Tremendously influential, offensively minded, a Hall of Famer when he decides to hang it up (that Coryell isn't in the Hall is a damned shame), but just couldn't win enough in the playoffs. The NBA would look very different without MDA and his Suns teams.

He just will not make adjustments in game, nor broaden his rotation, nor try to alter the flow of the game with a well thought out substitution or timeout. And he didn't have this team mentally focused to winning a very winnable game at home. I can go either way on firing him---who do you replace him with, for starters?---but a new, volatile owner like Tilman Fertitta is not going to be patient and see if MDA can improve. As for volatility, how many owners in the NBA would say that the problem with their team is that they wouldn't "step on [the other team's] throat and cut their throats..."? You can take the restaurateur out of the Mob....
Old 05-11-2019, 08:34 AM

Quote:
Andy Reid isn't a bad comp. Don Coryell might be better. Tremendously influential, offensively minded, a Hall of Famer when he decides to hang it up (that Coryell isn't in the Hall is a damned shame), but just couldn't win enough in the playoffs. The NBA would look very different without MDA and his Suns teams.

He just will not make adjustments in game, nor broaden his rotation, nor try to alter the flow of the game with a well thought out substitution or timeout. And he didn't have this team mentally focused to winning a very winnable game at home. I can go either way on firing him---who do you replace him with, for starters?---but a new, volatile owner like Tilman Fertitta is not going to be patient and see if MDA can improve. As for volatility, how many owners in the NBA would say that the problem with their team is that they wouldn't "step on [the other team's] throat and cut their throats..."? You can take the restaurateur out of the Mob....
Replacing D'Antoni is hard because so much of Houston's identity fits with Mike D's coaching philosophy.
Old 05-11-2019, 08:35 AM
Charter Member

I like the "Air Coryell" analogy to "Seven Second or Less". Good call, that.
Old 05-11-2019, 08:58 AM

The Rockets did not lose this game. The Warriors won it. The Warriors’ deep bench, heart of a champion, Klay Thompson’s great 1st half, and Steph Curry’s outstanding 2nd half was too much for Houston.
Old 05-11-2019, 09:17 AM
Charter Member

I only saw the last bit of the game, but was impressed with Houston's strategy to try to at least tie the game. I'll save my nail biting for tomorrow's game 7.
Old 05-11-2019, 09:49 AM

Quote:
I only saw the last bit of the game, but was impressed with Houston's strategy to try to at least tie the game. I'll save my nail biting for tomorrow's game 7.
If you're referring to the Rockets-Warriors, you'll be waiting a while -- Warriors won the Series, 4-2.
Old 05-11-2019, 09:51 AM
Charter Member

Quote:
Originally Posted by JohnT View Post
GS is 30-4 when KD is out and Steph starts. Houston had a good chance yesterday, but Harden did his disappearing act again and still lost.
Updated!
Old 05-11-2019, 09:52 AM
Charter Member

I detect a faint and delicate whiff of sarcasm regarding Chefguy's post, but maybe my nose is just too sensitive.
Old 05-11-2019, 09:53 AM

Quote:
If you're referring to the Rockets-Warriors, you'll be waiting a while -- Warriors won the Series, 4-2.
Chefguy's a Blazers fan. Unlike the Rockets, his team earned a Game 7. Which I think they'll win. Tremendous heart they've shown after losing one of their best players in Nurkic for the season.
Old 05-11-2019, 10:34 AM

Imgur: https://imgur.com/gallery/1LCJbU0

Old 05-11-2019, 03:16 PM
Charter Member

Quote:
Chefguy's a Blazers fan. Unlike the Rockets, his team earned a Game 7. Which I think they'll win. Tremendous heart they've shown after losing one of their best players in Nurkic for the season.
Yeah, that's what I was referring to. DEN's going to come out hard, of course, but I think Portland can weather that storm as they have so many times before.