Old 04-06-2019, 01:57 PM

Have any recent ballpark changes had any effect on the number of home runs? I know Seattle's used to be extremely pitcher friendly so they moved their fences in after 2012. I don't think I would be opposed if there were a trend pushing fences back. Might make things difficult for certain corner outfielders finally leading to the.....designated hitter for all!
Old 04-06-2019, 02:22 PM
Charter Member

Quote:
Originally Posted by Jasmine View Post
The Cubs will stagger home from Milwaukee after having opened their season with nine straight games on the road. I can't remember ever seeing any team begin the season with such a long road trip, and it sure hasn't done them any favors.
The Cubs started the 2018 season with nine road games. Ten were scheduled but one was delayed by weather.

The pitching so far this year has just been... I want to say catastrophic but I fear that's a terrible understatement. But early days yet...

Last edited by Hellestal; 04-06-2019 at 02:26 PM.
Old 04-06-2019, 03:05 PM
Corellian Nerfherder

Quote:
Originally Posted by Hellestal View Post
The Cubs started the 2018 season with nine road games. Ten were scheduled but one was delayed by weather.

The pitching so far this year has just been... I want to say catastrophic but I fear that's a terrible understatement. But early days yet...
Yeah, it's a very small base at this point, but their pitching really has been terrible. The team ERA is currently at 7.85, WHIP is 2.11.

I just heard on the radio that they've made several roster moves today, all in the bullpen. They sent Carl Edwards Jr. (0-1, 32.40 ERA ) down to AAA, and put Mike Montgomery on the 10-day injured list. They brought up AAA pitchers Allen Webster and Kyle Ryan; since Webster wasn't on their 40-man roster, they had to designate pitcher Jen-Ho Tseng (not currently on the MLB roster) for assignment.

https://www.mlb.com/cubs/news/carl-e...-bullpen-moves
Old 04-06-2019, 03:12 PM
Corellian Nerfherder

Quote:
Originally Posted by Covfefe View Post
Have any recent ballpark changes had any effect on the number of home runs? I know Seattle's used to be extremely pitcher friendly so they moved their fences in after 2012.
In recent years, I don't think that there have been major changes in that regard (though I may well be wrong). I've seen speculation that the ball is a little livelier now, but I think that more batters actively trying to hit the ball in the air more often (and more use of video and computer tools to help them optimize their swings) is probably the primary driver behind the home run explosion.
Old 04-06-2019, 03:55 PM

wow the brewers and phils in first place …...is it me or in the right and true baseball league (also known as the national league) some of the anointed ones (except for the dodgers of course) aren't doing so hot although its still hugely early

Quote:
Have any recent ballpark changes had any effect on the number of home runs? I know Seattle's used to be extremely pitcher friendly so they moved their fences in after 2012. I don't think I would be opposed if there were a trend pushing fences back. Might make things difficult for certain corner outfielders finally leading to the.....designated hitter for all!

Now that ive shared my thoughts with my commode on that idea it does bring a question to mind

Say youre in the right and correct baseball league as opposed to that other thing( )
And you have a dynamite pitcher that can hit hrs and you want to use him when hes not pitching can you assign him to say 3rd base until his turn in the rotation ? or are you forced to choose?

Last edited by nightshadea; 04-06-2019 at 03:56 PM.
Old 04-06-2019, 04:05 PM
Charter Member

Quote:
Originally Posted by nightshadea View Post
Say youre in the right and correct baseball league as opposed to that other thing( )
And you have a dynamite pitcher that can hit hrs and you want to use him when hes not pitching can you assign him to say 3rd base until his turn in the rotation ? or are you forced to choose?
I don't think there's any rule against it, but I've never seen it done. It's not too terribly uncommon for decent-hitting pitchers to serve as pinch-hitters on their days off, though.
Old 04-06-2019, 04:15 PM

Quote:
Originally Posted by Thudlow Boink View Post
I don't think there's any rule against it, but I've never seen it done. It's not too terribly uncommon for decent-hitting pitchers to serve as pinch-hitters on their days off, though.
Well, you know that guy Babe Ruth use to play RF when he wasn't starting for the Boston Red Sox, once he was traded to the Yanks he was pretty much just an Outfielder.
Since 1919 it has been pretty rare.

Last year Shohei Ohtani was used as both a pitcher & a DH. Before he got hurt there was some talk of him playing the outfield some games.

Last edited by What Exit?; 04-06-2019 at 04:16 PM.
Old 04-06-2019, 05:02 PM

Damn, Redlegs fall to 1-7. Let's not get into the black hole of losses we got into at the start of last season, please.
Old 04-06-2019, 08:52 PM

Quote:
Originally Posted by Thudlow Boink View Post
Carlos Zambrano was used quite often as a pinch hitter while with the Cubs.
Old 04-07-2019, 12:01 AM
Corellian Nerfherder

The good news for the Cubs is that they got a win tonight, beating the Brewers 14-8.

OTOH, they did give up eight earned runs, and their team ERA went up a smidge, to 7.87.
Old 04-07-2019, 06:50 AM

Aaron Boone really isn't a very good manager. I know a lot of decisions are coming down from above his head in this modern era (error) of GM puppet masters but I feel like the Yanks won despite some poor in game decisions by Boone.

Complaints:
1) While Clint Frazier is up here, he should be playing every day. Even if Tauchman has some sort of upside, Frazier's upside is much higher. (Though this could have come down from above)

2) Gardner is the longest term Yankee and well liked by the fans but he isn't really the player he was and probably should be moved out of the 1 hole for someone like LeMahieu or Torres until Hicks gets back.

3) In general many of the younger Yanks seem ill-prepared for odd plays this year, Joe Girardi I understand was a bit of a drill sgt but it appears Boone is more like a substitute teacher. I've seen the Yanks advance too far on a fly ball, get caught sleeping off the bag, screw up infield fly rule plays, etc.

4) I don't like the 3 man bench of the AL, but it is a reality currently. In the 6th with bases loaded, Boone sent Frazier up to bat for Tauchman, good idea. Sadly this is when Sanchez let himself be picked off of 3rd and Frazier delivered a strikeout. So now 2 outs and Boone decides to use Urshela to pinch hit for Wade. With 4 more defensive innings left to play, Boone left himself only a backup catcher (Austin Romine) on his bench. Oh Urshela made the 3rd out.

5) Odd moves, Holder had already pitched 1 2/3rds so off course Boone will start Ottavino with a clean 7th. Wait Holder is on the mound? WTF?

6) Ottavino came in relief of Holder and thanks to a Bird error, the inning got ugly but Ottavino got out of the inning. OK, 8th inning, will it be Green or Britton with the Yanks back in front thanks to a Frazier 3 run homer! The answer is Ottavino starts the 9th and got in trouble so Green relieves Ottavino with runners on. Thankfully he got the Yanks out of this jam.
Old 04-07-2019, 09:38 AM

I agree with everything you wrote. I'd like to see Lemahieu in the leadoff spot until there's a reason to bat him elsewhere. Bringing Holder back in after he'd already thrown 30 pitches was idiotic. Also, Boone needs to let veterans like Happ pitch out of trouble sometimes. Taking the starter out in the fifth inning every day is going to kill the bullpen...the Yankees greatest strength.
Old 04-07-2019, 10:50 AM
Charter Jays Fan

Quote:
Have any recent ballpark changes had any effect on the number of home runs? I know Seattle's used to be extremely pitcher friendly so they moved their fences in after 2012. I don't think I would be opposed if there were a trend pushing fences back. !
Seattle has scored a lot of runs on the road, too, so I think they're just hot.

Right now American League scoring levels are kind of low. The NL is weirdly high.
Old 04-07-2019, 11:14 AM

Quote:
Originally Posted by RickJay View Post
Seattle has scored a lot of runs on the road, too, so I think they're just hot.

Right now American League scoring levels are kind of low. The NL is weirdly high.
For clarity, my post was pondering the rise in the rate of home runs the past few years, not this year specifically, and figuring park effects probably pale in comparison to the emphasis on launch angles anyway and if larger dimensions could be a way of countering this.
Old 04-08-2019, 10:02 AM

Quote:
Originally Posted by What Exit? View Post
Aaron Boone really isn't a very good manager. I know a lot of decisions are coming down from above his head in this modern era (error) of GM puppet masters but I feel like the Yanks won despite some poor in game decisions by Boone.

Complaints:
1) While Clint Frazier is up here, he should be playing every day. Even if Tauchman has some sort of upside, Frazier's upside is much higher. (Though this could have come down from above)

2) Gardner is the longest term Yankee and well liked by the fans but he isn't really the player he was and probably should be moved out of the 1 hole for someone like LeMahieu or Torres until Hicks gets back.

3) In general many of the younger Yanks seem ill-prepared for odd plays this year, Joe Girardi I understand was a bit of a drill sgt but it appears Boone is more like a substitute teacher. I've seen the Yanks advance too far on a fly ball, get caught sleeping off the bag, screw up infield fly rule plays, etc.

4) I don't like the 3 man bench of the AL, but it is a reality currently. In the 6th with bases loaded, Boone sent Frazier up to bat for Tauchman, good idea. Sadly this is when Sanchez let himself be picked off of 3rd and Frazier delivered a strikeout. So now 2 outs and Boone decides to use Urshela to pinch hit for Wade. With 4 more defensive innings left to play, Boone left himself only a backup catcher (Austin Romine) on his bench. Oh Urshela made the 3rd out.

5) Odd moves, Holder had already pitched 1 2/3rds so off course Boone will start Ottavino with a clean 7th. Wait Holder is on the mound? WTF?

6) Ottavino came in relief of Holder and thanks to a Bird error, the inning got ugly but Ottavino got out of the inning. OK, 8th inning, will it be Green or Britton with the Yanks back in front thanks to a Frazier 3 run homer! The answer is Ottavino starts the 9th and got in trouble so Green relieves Ottavino with runners on. Thankfully he got the Yanks out of this jam.
1- Clint Frazier still has great potential. I'd like to see the team stick with him.

2- I like Gardner too. But he's getting close to his sell by date.

3- I jumped off the couch when the Yankees got confused on an infield fly rule. I would be disappointed if it happened in class A. But in the MLB? It should NEVER happen, no matter who manages.

4- I despise the lack of a bench in the AL. Pinch hitting is a lost art. Pinch running is almost unheard of. Why oh why so many fucking pitchers? Why not go to 40 man roster all year?

5 & 6- With all the fine relievers on the bench, Chapman is given too many closer innings. Spread the wealth around.
Old 04-08-2019, 10:18 AM
Charter Jays Fan

Quote:
For clarity, my post was pondering the rise in the rate of home runs the past few years, not this year specifically, and figuring park effects probably pale in comparison to the emphasis on launch angles anyway and if larger dimensions could be a way of countering this.
Well, I think it's inevitable pushing fences back would push down home run rates. It'd have to, right?

I would personally like that. Pushing fences back would not only reduce home runs, but would likely uptick doubles and triples a little, and maybe a few more base hits to offset the decline in batting average you would have in converting a few homers to fly outs. MLB does not really need the average team to hit 180-190 home runs a year while batting under .250.

The challenge is, of course, a physical one; it's not always architecturally feasible to move the fence back much.
Old 04-08-2019, 10:24 AM
Charter Jays Fan

Quote:
Originally Posted by BobLibDem View Post
4- I despise the lack of a bench in the AL. Pinch hitting is a lost art. Pinch running is almost unheard of. Why oh why so many fucking pitchers? Why not go to 40 man roster all year?
The one really radical rule change I would wholeheartedly support is a significant pitchers-per-roster limit. One of the analyst sites, maybe BP but maybe Fangraphs, had a really good set of proposed rules to bring it down to 10 pitchers plus an emergency pitcher. There would be a great many benefits.
Old 04-08-2019, 11:38 AM

Quote:
The one really radical rule change I would wholeheartedly support is a significant pitchers-per-roster limit. One of the analyst sites, maybe BP but maybe Fangraphs, had a really good set of proposed rules to bring it down to 10 pitchers plus an emergency pitcher. There would be a great many benefits.
That's a far better solution than forcing pitchers to face a certain number of hitters, imvho.
Old 04-08-2019, 11:51 AM

Quote:
Well, I think it's inevitable pushing fences back would push down home run rates. It'd have to, right?

I would personally like that. Pushing fences back would not only reduce home runs, but would likely uptick doubles and triples a little, and maybe a few more base hits to offset the decline in batting average you would have in converting a few homers to fly outs. MLB does not really need the average team to hit 180-190 home runs a year while batting under .250.

The challenge is, of course, a physical one; it's not always architecturally feasible to move the fence back much.
Yeah, let's move that Wrigley fence back.
Old 04-08-2019, 12:17 PM

Quote:
Originally Posted by nightshadea View Post
and the Dodgers beat the hell out of the Rockies 18-5

but its getting jinxed by articles saying "are the dodgers the best team in the nl?" (well yes yes they are) its a bit too early for that aint it ?

Besides they need to save some for the giants and the braves and the angels if they play them this year
ok so my future telling was a bit off it was 12-6 I had the winner right but blew the point spread
Old 04-08-2019, 12:38 PM

You know, I'll admit I'm obviously a fogey, but if you'd ever tried an infield shift in the 60s all your opponents would happily take advantage of the extra (at least, WAG) .100 increase in batting average. Because they knew how. There's at least two dozen NLB batters who ought to beat the shift, and don't care, or don't know how. Drives me crazy.
Old 04-08-2019, 12:56 PM
Charter Jays Fan

I'm actually not convinced that's true. Many sluggers in the past were just as extreme pull hitters as a lot of guys today. It wasn't tried because the data wasn't there. People knew Mel Ott was a pull hitter, but didn't have numbers in front of them to defend the strategy. Harmon Killebrew was an extreme pull hitter, Ted Williams of course was, and heck Babe Ruth was a pull hitter.

It's easy to say they should just punch the ball the other way, but in practice that's not usually very smart. A guy doesn't really lose THAT many hits to the shift, but changing the way you hit can totally screw you up. When a succession of great big sons of bitches are throwing 96-MPH sliders at you that bend like frisbees, sticking with what you know works is perhaps the best course of action.
Old 04-08-2019, 01:44 PM

Quote:
Originally Posted by Oredigger77 View Post
So the Dodgers are averaging 2.5 homeruns per game coming into their first trip to Coors field. The weather is supposed to be nice with maybe some showers all weekend. I think the weekend over under should stay at 7.5 homeruns but I'd bet the over.
Well, I lost this bet. Dodgers only hit 6 home runs over the weekend but scored 29 runs over the three games. I'm still concerned that they're allowing 4.8 runs per game. The defense needs to improve if we're going to survive the inevitable slump in the offence.
Old 04-08-2019, 02:02 PM

Quote:
Originally Posted by Oredigger77 View Post
Well, I lost this bet. Dodgers only hit 6 home runs over the weekend but scored 29 runs over the three games. I'm still concerned that they're allowing 4.8 runs per game. The defense needs to improve if we're going to survive the inevitable slump in the offence.
It's really just the bullpen, isn't it? (Assuming we aren't counting Kke's mental blunder last night.) You figure that if we can get Kershaw and Hill back healthy and performing at decent levels, the bullpen automatically improves by leaps and bounds with Urias (and Stripling, I assume) back in it. My guess and hope is that the team ERA drops dramatically then, and Joe Kelly can be held to one-out or mop-up situations until he gets his act together again.
Old 04-08-2019, 02:30 PM

Quote:
It's easy to say they should just punch the ball the other way, but in practice that's not usually very smart.
Failure to do so (by Ted Williams) might have helped cost the Red Sox the 1946 World Series.
Quote:
A guy doesn't really lose THAT many hits to the shift, but changing the way you hit can totally screw you up. When a succession of great big sons of bitches are throwing 96-MPH sliders at you that bend like frisbees, sticking with what you know works is perhaps the best course of action.
Williams got advice from Paul Waner later in his career that supposedly helped him defeat the shift without altering his swing that much.

https://www.cbssports.com/mlb/news/j...illiams-shift/

Also if hitters had half-decent bunting skills they could get enough cheap hits to neutralize shifts. Maybe that's just not manly enough.

Last edited by Jackmannii; 04-08-2019 at 02:31 PM.
Old 04-08-2019, 02:49 PM
Charter Jays Fan

Quote:
Originally Posted by Jackmannii View Post
Failure to do so (by Ted Williams) might have helped cost the Red Sox the 1946 World Series.
In the entire seven game series, Williams only grounded out to a middle infielder on the right side of the infield three times. I don't know if the shift cost him any outs at all. What is noteworthy is that he hit no homers and popped out a lot.

Quote:
Also if hitters had half-decent bunting skills they could get enough cheap hits to neutralize shifts. Maybe that's just not manly enough.
It's much, much harder than it looks to bunt for a hit, especially if you aren't very fast. If you bunt it a little too softly the catcher throws you out. A little too hard, the third baseman throws you out. A little too far left, it's a foul ball and you give away the plan. Too far right, the pitcher throws you out. It requires an excellent bunt - not easy against an MLB pitcher - which is way more difficult than one might think, and the upside is a single. No major league hitter is turning down free hits. They aren't free.

Last edited by RickJay; 04-08-2019 at 02:51 PM.
Old 04-08-2019, 04:50 PM

Quote:
In the entire seven game series, Williams only grounded out to a middle infielder on the right side of the infield three times. I don't know if the shift cost him any outs at all. What is noteworthy is that he hit no homers and popped out a lot.
You think maybe he was overcompensating and trying to hit balls in the air too much?
Quote:
It's much, much harder than it looks to bunt for a hit, especially if you aren't very fast.
It probably gets less difficult if the third baseman is shifted way over to short and you have respectable bunting skills.

The latter is the problem, plus the perception that small ball is unworthy and doesn't look good on the stat sheet, unless you count scoring runs (and think the only acceptable way to do that is hit occasional home runs amid a slew of strikeouts).
Old 04-08-2019, 06:21 PM

yeahh im thinking june and maybe julys gonna be rough unless the bats ate still juiced ….. although if these double digit games keep going I wonder when the complaining about the "changed bats and balls" is gonna begin ?
Old 04-08-2019, 08:38 PM

Here's kind of a nice moment. Manny Machado, representing the go ahead run, is facing flame-throwing Cardinals reliever Taylor Hicks. It's a pretty hard fought at bat, with Hicks alternating between 101 and 85 mph pitches and getting good movement, and Machado fouling off several pitches. It goes to a full count. Machado eventually chases one, striking out to end the inning.

He tips his helmet to Hicks.

https://www.facebook.com/38596231839...8877563281840/
Old 04-08-2019, 08:48 PM

Quote:
Originally Posted by Defensive Indifference View Post
Here's kind of a nice moment. Manny Machado, representing the go ahead run, is facing flame-throwing Cardinals reliever Taylor Hicks. It's a pretty hard fought at bat, with Hicks alternating between 101 and 85 mph pitches and getting good movement, and Machado fouling off several pitches. It goes to a full count. Machado eventually chases one, striking out to end the inning.

He tips his helmet to Hicks.

https://www.facebook.com/38596231839...8877563281840/
Of course, it's Jordan Hicks. Not Taylor Hicks the singer. .

I've been away too long....

Also Machado was the tying run, not the go-ahead run.

Last edited by Defensive Indifference; 04-08-2019 at 08:49 PM.
Old 04-09-2019, 03:12 AM
Charter Member

Quote:
Perhaps this 538 article by Nate Silver

The Mariners are supposedly in a rebuilding year, yet they're batting lights out and have the best record in MLB. They're averaging 8 runs/game (although giving up 5) and have the most HRs in the majors. There's only one regular starter who's batting less than .250 and that's Jay Bruce, who usually bats cleanup! Their bullpen is probably the weakest part of their game but so far they've usually been able to give them enough of a lead that they still win.

Everyone says they're bound to come back to earth some time, but I'm going to enjoy the run while it lasts.
Old 04-09-2019, 08:30 AM
Charter Jays Fan

Quote:
Originally Posted by Jackmannii View Post
You think maybe he was overcompensating and trying to hit balls in the air too much?
I think the simplest explanation is that he had a bad week against a terrific pitching staff. I don't think Ted Williams was dumb enough to stop trying to hit home runs.

Lots of Hall of Famers didn't play all that well in the World Series.

Quote:
The latter is the problem, plus the perception that small ball is unworthy and doesn't look good on the stat sheet, unless you count scoring runs (and think the only acceptable way to do that is hit occasional home runs amid a slew of strikeouts).
High batting averages and on base percentages look rather terrific on the stat sheet. On base percentage is the first thing they look at nowadays.
Old 04-09-2019, 09:39 AM

Quote:
Originally Posted by Asimovian View Post
It's really just the bullpen, isn't it? (Assuming we aren't counting Kke's mental blunder last night.) You figure that if we can get Kershaw and Hill back healthy and performing at decent levels, the bullpen automatically improves by leaps and bounds with Urias (and Stripling, I assume) back in it. My guess and hope is that the team ERA drops dramatically then, and Joe Kelly can be held to one-out or mop-up situations until he gets his act together again.
Joe Kelly seems broken to me. Which is sad, sort of. But he needs some time to not play anymore.
Old 04-09-2019, 09:48 AM

Quote:
Originally Posted by NAF1138 View Post
Joe Kelly seems broken to me. Which is sad, sort of. But he needs some time to not play anymore.
I'm starting to wonder if Kike is broken, too. Two very bad mental miscues in consecutive games.

And, of course, just when it was beginning to look like the rotation was too good to be true, Ryu goes down again. <sigh>

I don't know what to do about Joe Kelly. Maybe a stint in the minors to get him back some confidence, or whatever it is he's missing?
Old 04-09-2019, 10:43 AM

Did the Dodgers give the closing job to Kelly based entirely on the World Series? Do they have an analytics group? Did anyone maybe just check baseball-reference.com? His career WHIP is 1.394. Were they expecting a lights out, dominant reliever? Hey, Kimbrel is still available.
Old 04-09-2019, 11:09 AM

Quote:
Originally Posted by Blank Slate View Post
Did the Dodgers give the closing job to Kelly based entirely on the World Series? Do they have an analytics group? Did anyone maybe just check baseball-reference.com? His career WHIP is 1.394. Were they expecting a lights out, dominant reliever? Hey, Kimbrel is still available.
They still have Kenley Jansen, they don't need a closer they just need a new set up guy.
Old 04-09-2019, 11:26 AM
Charter Jays Fan

If we're talking about broken players we have to talk about Chris Davis, right?

0 for his last 49, a major league record (and counting) for a non-pitcher. In a sad but funny note, he blew by the old record with an 0-for-5 night in a game in which his teammates went 15 for 32 with two home runs, so it's not like they were being blown away by a Koufaxesque perrformance.

This year 0 for 28 with 15 strikeouts.

And that coming off his 2018 season, one of the worst a major league player has ever had.

It's hard not to think there is something physically wrong with him, or maybe that he has a hitter's version of Steve Blass Disease. Some guys are bad, and some slump, but Davis is setting new standards of MLB ineptitude. If you aren't an Orioles fan you probably have never in your life seen a player this bad.

I mean, what's wrong with him? Why are the Orioles still putting him out there? What the hell is going on?

Last edited by RickJay; 04-09-2019 at 11:30 AM.
Old 04-09-2019, 11:43 AM

Quote:
If we're talking about broken players we have to talk about Chris Davis, right?

0 for his last 49, a major league record (and counting) for a non-pitcher.

This year 0 for 28 with 15 strikeouts.

And that coming off his 2018 season, one of the worst a major league player has ever had.

It's hard not to think there is something physically wrong with him, or maybe that he has a hitter's version of Steve Blass Disease. Some guys are bad, and some slump, but Davis is setting new standards of MLB ineptitude. If you aren't an Orioles fan you probably have never in your life seen a player this bad.

I mean, what's wrong with him? Why are the Orioles still putting him out there? What the hell is going on?
I can't even wrap my head around someone like Chris Davis going 0 for 49. It's insane.
Old 04-09-2019, 12:26 PM

Quote:
Originally Posted by NAF1138 View Post
They still have Kenley Jansen, they don't need a closer they just need a new set up guy.
My bad. I kept hearing that Kelly blew another game and assumed he was closing.

Are they letting Chris Davis take his Adderall?
Old 04-09-2019, 12:42 PM
Charter Jays Fan

Davis is not taking Adderall, he's now on Vyvance, also an ADD med, generally considered to have a lot of advantages over Adderall.

Last edited by RickJay; 04-09-2019 at 12:42 PM.
Old 04-09-2019, 01:03 PM

Quote:
Originally Posted by Blank Slate View Post
My bad. I kept hearing that Kelly blew another game and assumed he was closing.
Nah. But he's made 5 appearances and given up runs in all but one of those appearances, including surrendering critical, game-changing runs in all three of the Dodgers' losses. And in the one appearance where he didn't give up any runs, it's because he was only in for a third of an inning, in which he got hit with a comebacker and had to leave the game.

So yeah, it hasn't been pretty.
Old 04-09-2019, 01:09 PM
Charter Jays Fan

No one mentioned yet that Edwin Encarnacion belted two home runs in an inning yesterday.

That's actually the second time he's done that; he did it in 2013 with Toronto. What I find remarkable is that he's actually the fifth player who had twice hit two homers in one inning; Willie McCovey, Andre Dawson, Jeff King (!) and A-Rod also did it. How about that. I would have thought it a rarer feat.
Old 04-09-2019, 04:04 PM

Quote:
Originally Posted by BobLibDem View Post
In Japan they have a 28-man roster, with 25 designated as eligible for any particular game. This eliminates three of the "dead roster spots" occupied by starting pitchers who aren't starting on that particular night.

However this still requires owners to pay 28 major-league-level salaries, and if you bring that proposal to an American owner, he will say "What do I get in return?" And if your answer is, "a more interesting game that restores the role of pinch hitters, pinch runners, and defensive replacements", he will look at you like you're from another planet.
Old 04-09-2019, 05:08 PM
Corellian Nerfherder

Quote:
Originally Posted by Freddy the Pig View Post
However this still requires owners to pay 28 major-league-level salaries, and if you bring that proposal to an American owner, he will say "What do I get in return?" And if your answer is, "a more interesting game that restores the role of pinch hitters, pinch runners, and defensive replacements", he will look at you like you're from another planet.
Heck, during the late 1980s, MLB teams noted that, while the league rules set a maximum roster size of 25, their agreement with the union also set a minimum roster size of 24. And, then, for several years, every MLB team only carried 24 players on their active rosters (which did, I imagine, save them a little money). I agree, one should not underestimate the willingness of teams to spend less money if they can get away with it, and resist paying more money than they have to.

Last edited by kenobi 65; 04-09-2019 at 05:09 PM.
Old 04-10-2019, 08:11 AM
Charter Jays Fan

"Little money" being the operative word. It's essentially inevitable that your 26th, 27th and 28th guys will be making the MLB minimum, so right now it would add $1.65 million to each payroll. Not exactly chump change to me, but to MLB it strikes me as being a reasonable price for a better game and quite possibly labor peace.
Old 04-10-2019, 08:03 PM

Quote:
No one mentioned yet that Edwin Encarnacion belted two home runs in an inning yesterday.

That's actually the second time he's done that; he did it in 2013 with Toronto. What I find remarkable is that he's actually the fifth player who had twice hit two homers in one inning; Willie McCovey, Andre Dawson, Jeff King (!) and A-Rod also did it. How about that. I would have thought it a rarer feat.
I completely agree. I am also surprised that Encarnacion was the fifth player to do this twice in a career.

There are 56 different players that have hit two home runs in one inning; 3 players did it from both sides of the plate.

And on April 23, 1999, Fernanado Tatis of the Cardinals hit two grand slams in one inning.

https://www.mlb.com/news/two-home-ru...ing-c266221190
Old 04-10-2019, 08:07 PM

Quote:
Originally Posted by Railer13 View Post
And on April 23, 1999, Fernanado Tatis of the Cardinals hit two grand slams in one inning.

https://www.mlb.com/news/two-home-ru...ing-c266221190
That never happened. It's all a huge lie. And I certainly wasn't watching when it happened.
Old 04-10-2019, 08:20 PM

Jose Altuve is a fairly good baseball player.
Old 04-10-2019, 08:34 PM

Quote:
Originally Posted by Asimovian View Post
That never happened. It's all a huge lie. And I certainly wasn't watching when it happened.
And I wasnt listening to the game either, apparently!

The astonishing thing to me was not the two grand slams on their own, but the fact that the two were hit off the same pitcher. A fictional pitcher perhaps, but you cant have everything.
Old 04-10-2019, 09:24 PM
Charter Member

Outfielder Aaron Altherr has a 90 MPH fastball?!