Old 04-10-2019, 09:34 PM

Quote:
Originally Posted by RickJay View Post
The one really radical rule change I would wholeheartedly support is a significant pitchers-per-roster limit. One of the analyst sites, maybe BP but maybe Fangraphs, had a really good set of proposed rules to bring it down to 10 pitchers plus an emergency pitcher. There would be a great many benefits.
When I was a kid in the 80s/90s, ten pitchers was the standard amount to carry on a roster.

I still contend that using starting pitchers deeper into the game gives a team their best pitcher for a longer time and when guys' arms get tired they can start throwing more breaking pitches to show the hitters a different look the third time through the line up.
Old 04-10-2019, 10:00 PM

Altherr was the best Phillies pitcher tonight. Suddenly the Nats have series wins over two division rivals on the road. Also, Rosenthal got 3 outs while only giving up one run, lowering his ERA from infinity to 72.00

Last edited by P-man; 04-10-2019 at 10:01 PM.
Old 04-11-2019, 08:04 AM

Quote:
Originally Posted by Ulf the Unwashed View Post
And I wasn’t listening to the game either, apparently!

The astonishing thing to me was not the two grand slams on their own, but the fact that the two were hit off the same pitcher. A fictional pitcher perhaps, but you can’t have everything.
Funny (imaginary) story. I was so disgusted by what was happening after the first grand slam that I turned the TV to some other channel. For quite a number of minutes. After a while, I decided to tune back in to see where things had ultimately settled. Just as Tatis was rounding 1st base for the second time. It took quite a while for me to comprehend what had happened.

And then I changed the channel for good.
Old 04-11-2019, 08:48 AM

The fictitious Chan Ho Park is a useful literary device. Gave up two grand slams in one inning (apparently that never happened.) Gave up record-setting home runs 71 and 72 to Barry Bonds (absurd, no player ever hit that many in a single season.) Surrendered a home run to the retiring Cal Ripken jr. making his final all-star game appearance (c'mon, way too Hollywood.) Coughed up a home run to CC Sabathia (ok, that might have happened. It's not as crazy as Bartolo Colon hitting one out.) Any others?
Old 04-11-2019, 09:36 AM

Quote:
Originally Posted by UltraVires View Post
When I was a kid in the 80s/90s, ten pitchers was the standard amount to carry on a roster.

I still contend that using starting pitchers deeper into the game gives a team their best pitcher for a longer time and when guys' arms get tired they can start throwing more breaking pitches to show the hitters a different look the third time through the line up.
The evidence does not support your position. Fresh middle relievers pitch better than tired starters unless we are dealing with elite pitchers. Interestingly breaking pitches are increasingly being used to get though the first couple time through the lineup. Fastball usage is down significantly particularly in traditionally hitter counts.
Old 04-12-2019, 07:19 AM
Isaiah 1:15/Screw the NRA
Charter Member

The wife would like me to note that the Padres are in sole possession of first place in the NLWest. Since the last time this happened was for one day (Opening Day) in 2014, this is a notable event.
Old 04-12-2019, 07:54 AM
Charter Jays Fan

Chris Davis is at 0-53 going back to last year. I wonder at what point pride will overcome the $90 million he's owed if he doesn't quit.

I mean, at some point he will get a hit, but will it really feel all that great to be 1-for-35 this year or whatever it'll be? "Woo, my batting average soared 29 points... to .029!"
Old 04-12-2019, 08:56 AM

Ozzie Albies signed an extension for seven years, 35 millions, which might be the worst one from a player perspective in the history of sport. He could have easily earned 35 million in arbitration. I understand being risk adverse, but that deal is insane.
Old 04-12-2019, 09:02 AM

Davis could help his team by laying down a few bunts.
Old 04-12-2019, 09:40 AM

Quote:
Originally Posted by Hawkeyeop View Post
Ozzie Albies signed an extension for seven years, 35 millions, which might be the worst one from a player perspective in the history of sport. He could have easily earned 35 million in arbitration. I understand being risk adverse, but that deal is insane.
I did some mental gymnastics trying find justification for that deal, but it's even worse than you posted. With the team options, it's effectively a 9 year/$45 million dollar deal. He won't hit free agency until he's 31, which is the new 35. His agent should be fired for gross incompetence.
Old 04-12-2019, 10:18 AM
Charter Jays Fan

That is a stunningly terrible deal for Albies. He left tens of millions of dollars on the table. I am trying to figure out what happened there but can't yet find a reason. I'm amazed the MLBPA didn't shoot his agent.

If Albies just wanted to get a contract out of the way for enough money, fair enough, but there is just no way the Braves would not have given him more dollars for the exact same term had his agent just asked.
Old 04-12-2019, 01:04 PM

Sanchez goes down again to injuries. It's getting to be the Scranton Yankees more and more every day. On the plus side, errors and passed balls will drop dramatically.
Old 04-12-2019, 05:00 PM

Former MLB pitcher Scott Sanderson has died at 62. No cause of death stated.
Old 04-12-2019, 09:45 PM

Quote:
Originally Posted by BobLibDem View Post
Sanchez goes down again to injuries.
At some point I suppose I'll move on from his gallant contribution in that Tigers brawl.

After Vladdy went 2 for 4 including a deep dinger in his first AAA game with the Bufflalo Bisons last night, I'm convinced he'll get called up within a week if he has a repeat game this week-end in Scranton Wilkes-Barre. Unfortunate that his posterior is sadly Kirby Puckett-like, but these things we just have to deal with.
Old 04-13-2019, 01:09 AM

Highly regarded White Sox rookie Eloy Jimenez hit the first two home runs of his career tonight--curiously enough, to dead center and left center in Yankee Stadium, which are not the two easiest fields to which to hit home runs.

Jimenez, who had zero prior Major League experience, recently signed a six-year, $43 million contract which kind of underscores the above points about Albies.
Old 04-13-2019, 12:20 PM

Chris Davis singles in his first at-bat, driving in 2 runs.
Old 04-13-2019, 05:20 PM

Quote:
Originally Posted by Hawkeyeop View Post
The evidence does not support your position. Fresh middle relievers pitch better than tired starters unless we are dealing with elite pitchers. Interestingly breaking pitches are increasingly being used to get though the first couple time through the lineup. Fastball usage is down significantly particularly in traditionally hitter counts.
Case in point today in Pirates v. Nats. Archers pitches 7 innings, 4 hits, 1 run and hasn't given up a hit in the last 4 innings. No pinch hitter for him. Under my theory, why mess with success?

But no, let's bring in the setup man to give up back to back homeruns to give Washington the lead. You got a pitcher in there who at least today is rolling. I don't see the logic in taking him out for a guy who might not be on today.
Old 04-13-2019, 05:36 PM

Now you're going up another unwritten rule, the 100 pitch limit. Even guys who are allowed to exceed the limit are held back a bit in April. Archer was at 94. Going to Rodriguez, last year anyway, was the logical move. He made 63 appearances last season, 50 of them scoreless. He only gave up more than one run five times. Good odds.

Chris Davis had three hits. It's a funny old game.
Old 04-13-2019, 06:33 PM

Quote:
Originally Posted by Superdude View Post
Chris Davis singles in his first at-bat, driving in 2 runs.
Which has given birth to my favorite piece of baseball media this season. Possibly ever.

Last edited by Caldris bal Comar; 04-13-2019 at 06:35 PM.
Old 04-13-2019, 07:19 PM

Quote:
Originally Posted by Caldris bal Comar View Post
Which has given birth to my favorite piece of baseball media this season. Possibly ever.
His tiny wave was the best part. He looked like a Little League player.
Old 04-13-2019, 08:54 PM

for some reason i think this is going to be one of those years in la when its gonna be win 10 in a row then lose 10 and repeat cycles in LA until ya go insane …

Last edited by nightshadea; 04-13-2019 at 08:54 PM.
Old 04-13-2019, 09:32 PM

jooooose altuve, 6 home runs in 5 games. Pret-ty good.
Old 04-13-2019, 09:34 PM

Quote:
Originally Posted by Tom Scud View Post
jooooose altuve, 6 home runs in 5 games. Pret-ty good.
He's amazing. Unfortunately, he's not a Mariner. I do like watching him play.
Old 04-14-2019, 06:20 AM

Yanks are down to 11 on the DL IL! CC Sabathia is back and looked good yesterday.

The Yanks are only 6-8 and yet a game and a half ahead of the Red Sox. I'm betting no one would have bet on that.

One Yankee pitcher has 3 of their 6 wins. Of course that pitcher is Domingo Germán with a gaudy 1.38 ERA.

This is going to be a weird year.

Oh, Judge had another Judge moment* yesterday.
Quote:
Originally Posted by MLB
In the span of minutes, this fan caught a home run ball from Judge, got that very ball signed by him and had a catch with him. Many baseball fans go a lifetime without doing any of those things and this kid squeezed them into a single afternoon at the park.

* Being one of the faces of baseball and unintentionally proving why he will be the next Yankee Captain after he signs his extension.
Old 04-14-2019, 10:08 AM
Charter Member

Yes, you read it correctly. The Cubs are snowed out today. Ugh. Snow, on April 14.
Old 04-14-2019, 10:15 AM

Sure, another minor point, but why, whenever they show Altuve manning 2nd, is he always compulsively biting at his fingertips?
Like, always. I have never ever seen him not biting away, like that, while waiting for his pitcher to throw the next pitch.
Watch for it next time - when they show him, he'll be chomp chomp chomping away.

Ah yes - lo and behold
Old 04-14-2019, 06:09 PM
Charter Jays Fan

Quote:
Originally Posted by Guest-starring: Id! View Post
At some point I suppose I'll move on from his gallant contribution in that Tigers brawl.

After Vladdy went 2 for 4 including a deep dinger in his first AAA game with the Bufflalo Bisons last night, I'm convinced he'll get called up within a week if he has a repeat game this week-end in Scranton Wilkes-Barre. Unfortunate that his posterior is sadly Kirby Puckett-like, but these things we just have to deal with.
Puckett never really suffered much from his weight during his career; he was just shaped weird. Vladdy Jr. is legitimately fat, and if he doesn't solve that problem it will catch up to him eventually.

Toronto second baseman Lourdes Gurriel Jr had to be removed from today's game because apparently, for reasons unknown, he cannot make routine throws to first. He's got whatever afflicted Chuck Knoblauch and unlike Knoblauch his team has no other reason to keep him around so he'll be demoted soon; rumor has it Eric Sogard will replace him, but he's a temporary fix. No one on the team is hitting except Freddy Galvis, so they might as well recall Vladdy and half the Buffalo Bisons.
Old 04-14-2019, 06:48 PM

Quote:
Originally Posted by Blank Slate View Post
Now you're going up another unwritten rule, the 100 pitch limit. Even guys who are allowed to exceed the limit are held back a bit in April. Archer was at 94. Going to Rodriguez, last year anyway, was the logical move. He made 63 appearances last season, 50 of them scoreless. He only gave up more than one run five times. Good odds.
I think you would have to compare that to what a starting pitcher would have done in a certain situation to see whether it was good odds or not. I mean, most half-innings are scoreless, right? Archer pitched 6 out of 7 scoreless in that game, so I'm not sure how putting Rodriguez's stats up there make the point that the change was proper. If you want to say that Rodriguez is normally a fine pitcher, I don't disagree, but it does not support the argument that he was the better choice in the 8th than Archer on that day.

Oh, and screw the 100 pitch limit. These guys are young athletes and paid handsomely to play a kid's game. Players are babied. Doug Drabek would throw 145 pitches and still not lose anything off of his fastball.
Old 04-14-2019, 11:04 PM

Quote:
Originally Posted by RickJay View Post
Puckett never really suffered much from his weight during his career; he was just shaped weird. Vladdy Jr. is legitimately fat, and if he doesn't solve that problem it will catch up to him eventually.

Toronto second baseman Lourdes Gurriel Jr had to be removed from today's game because apparently, for reasons unknown, he cannot make routine throws to first. He's got whatever afflicted Chuck Knoblauch and unlike Knoblauch his team has no other reason to keep him around so he'll be demoted soon; rumor has it Eric Sogard will replace him, but he's a temporary fix. No one on the team is hitting except Freddy Galvis, so they might as well recall Vladdy and half the Buffalo Bisons.
Ah, more of a Valenzuela/Sandoval thing going on with VG. An amoeboid blob off the old block, sadly.

Was hoping for at least a bit more out of Grichuk, who's hitting a sobering .192. Hopefully he'll start to put his recent 5-year signing to good use. Not sure if I'm hearing right that Stroman, Sanchez, and Smoak might be moving pieces as well. I realise the Jays are trying to go young, but, well, I don't have any answers.
I foresee an inordinate amount of 1-0, 2-0 Jays losses this season.
Old 04-14-2019, 11:44 PM

Quote:

Oh, and screw the 100 pitch limit. These guys are young athletes and paid handsomely to play a kid's game. Players are babied. Doug Drabek would throw 145 pitches and still not lose anything off of his fastball.
I do remember Drabek being a fine pitcher and a workhorse, but it's probably worth noting that he didn't last all that long. He was effective through age 29, then had his last strong season at age 31; in between he led the league in losses, and his last four seasons weren't good at all. Gotta wonder if he'd have been effective for longer without those 145-pitch games ...
Old 04-15-2019, 12:02 AM
Corellian Nerfherder

Quote:
Originally Posted by Guest-starring: Id! View Post
Ah, more of a Valenzuela/Sandoval thing going on with VG. An amoeboid blob off the old block, sadly.
Yeah, he seems to be built more like a young Prince Fielder than Kirby Puckett.
Old 04-15-2019, 08:04 AM
Charter Jays Fan

Quote:
I think you would have to compare that to what a starting pitcher would have done in a certain situation to see whether it was good odds or not. I mean, most half-innings are scoreless, right? Archer pitched 6 out of 7 scoreless in that game, so I'm not sure how putting Rodriguez's stats up there make the point that the change was proper. If you want to say that Rodriguez is normally a fine pitcher, I don't disagree, but it does not support the argument that he was the better choice in the 8th than Archer on that day.

Of course, Doug Drabek's arm started to go out on him when he was just 33 years old, so that may not be a stellar example.

I'm really not sure if pitch limits help avoid injury; it is not my perception that pitchers are getting hurt any less. However, there is good reason to think pitch limits save runs. A pitcher who has already thrown 90-100 pitches just isn't as effective as a fresh pitcher, not even close. It makes no sense to leave Chris Archer or anyone else in if they're tired and you have fresh major league pitchers ready to go.

Quote:
Originally Posted by Guest-starring: id!
Was hoping for at least a bit more out of Grichuk, who's hitting a sobering .192. Hopefully he'll start to put his recent 5-year signing to good use. Not sure if I'm hearing right that Stroman, Sanchez, and Smoak might be moving pieces as well. I realise the Jays are trying to go young, but, well, I don't have any answers.
I'd trade Justin Smoak in a heartbeat. I mean, I like the guy and he can hit a ball a long way, but the value of a 32-year-old first baseman whose career high in WAR is about three and a half is, shall we say, limited. If you can get anything for that when you're three years from contention, you should take it.

Stroman and Sanchez are a bit different in that they're young, and frankly it's hard to guess where you are with those guys. They're great when healthy, but haven't always been healthy. Stroman is off to a good start this year, though he's already 0-3 because the Blue Jays have only scored one run in the 23 innings he's pitched.
Old 04-17-2019, 05:40 PM

Well, Joey Votto’s streak is over. 6827 straight plate appearances without a foul popout. First time in his career.
Old 04-18-2019, 07:29 AM

Gardner hits a grand slam to sweep the Bosox (well, 2 game series). Doesn't get any better than that. Frazier looking good, but I'm sure they'll send him back to Scranton when the regulars get off the IL, just like they always do. Pleasant surprises:
1- Clint Frazier making the best of his time
2- Luke Voit continues to shine, handling the pressure of playing in NY
3- Judge continues to mature, laying off pitches that used to get him every time
4- Urshela is one heck of a fielder. Leaves Andujar in the dust
5- Bird lasted two weeks before getting injured
Old 04-18-2019, 07:31 AM

How bad are the Marlins? At one point during their opening losing streak, the Cubs had the second worst team ERA in baseball, but they just finished a three game sweep of the Marlins with back to back shutouts of a team that looks like it could lose 110 games.

Last edited by Jasmine; 04-18-2019 at 07:31 AM.
Old 04-18-2019, 03:16 PM

I really thought the Red Sox were too good to succumb to another post WS championship slump. Guess I was wrong. They are awful and to hear the players talk they have no idea why. Mookie Betts, Chris Sale, they're like, "I don't know, I just need to play better." David Price thinks if the team can't turn it around they'll trade Betts and JD Martinez. I guess he'd know, he's seen teams blow up rosters.
Old 04-18-2019, 03:55 PM

If the Red Sox trade Betts and Martinez, I'll eat my hat. Price likes to run his mouth and sometimes he makes sense. Sometimes. Come September, I fully expect Boston to be in the hunt for a playoff spot.

ETA: They're going to need some bullpen help, though. Otherwise, they have all the pieces required to put together some long winning streaks.

Last edited by Blank Slate; 04-18-2019 at 03:57 PM.
Old 04-18-2019, 04:23 PM

Quote:
Originally Posted by Oredigger77 View Post
Well, I lost this bet. Dodgers only hit 6 home runs over the weekend but scored 29 runs over the three games. I'm still concerned that they're allowing 4.8 runs per game. The defense needs to improve if we're going to survive the inevitable slump in the offence.
like what happened since I posted about their winning? there back on top by 1 game by winning their last 4 so like I said its gonna be a pull ya hair out yo-yo season

...did the Padres so something stellar offseason or is this just the results of a rebuild coming to fruition? cause I clearly missed something they did
Old 04-18-2019, 04:36 PM

Quote:
Originally Posted by nightshadea View Post
...did the Padres so something stellar offseason or is this just the results of a rebuild coming to fruition? cause I clearly missed something they did
They've got Manny plus one of the best young talents in the game in Fernando <censored> Tatis, Jr. They are definitely a better team than they were last year.

I wouldn't assume it'll be enough for the division, though.
Old 04-21-2019, 11:33 AM

Today's NY Yankees line-up;

DJ LeMahieu
Luke Voit
Brett Gardner
Clint Frazier
Mike Tauchman
Gio Urshela
Mike Ford
Austin Romine
Tyler Wade

This is a split squad, spring training game, right?
Old 04-21-2019, 11:36 AM

Quote:

DJ LeMahieu
Luke Voit
Brett Gardner
Clint Frazier
Mike Tauchman
Gio Urshela
Mike Ford
Austin Romine
Tyler Wade

Sad thing is it barely qualifies as that even. It could be argued the Yanks only have one regular in and get to 2 with Paxton.
Old 04-21-2019, 03:19 PM
Corellian Nerfherder

Quote:

DJ LeMahieu
Luke Voit
Brett Gardner
Clint Frazier
Mike Tauchman
Gio Urshela
Mike Ford
Austin Romine
Tyler Wade

The latest casualty: Aaron Judge suffered an oblique injury yesterday, and was placed on the injured list.
Old 04-21-2019, 05:11 PM
Charter Member

Quote:
Originally Posted by kenobi 65 View Post
and was placed on the injured list.
Why did the DL become the "injured list"? I'm having a hard time getting used to that. The other day I saw a headline about "...(some player) to IL" and my first assumption was that the player's team had a minor league affiliate in Illinois.
Old 04-21-2019, 05:13 PM

Quote:
Originally Posted by Munch View Post
Well, Joey Votto’s streak is over. 6827 straight plate appearances without a foul popout. First time in his career.
That's really an amazing streak if you think about. I mean...not even ONE? Until now? Crazy game indeed.
Old 04-21-2019, 05:23 PM

Quote:
Originally Posted by Thudlow Boink View Post
Why did the DL become the "injured list"? I'm having a hard time getting used to that. The other day I saw a headline about "...(some player) to IL" and my first assumption was that the player's team had a minor league affiliate in Illinois.
Yeah, I thought at first it was the International League. I wondered why they were being so specific. Why not just “... to the minors”?

I don’t know why the change but I wonder if the implications of the word “disability/disabled” plays a role.
Old 04-21-2019, 05:33 PM

you know except for the Dodgers no one leading their division atm was expected to be doing anything this year? especially in the al ....... i mean that could change and theres some slim leads but wow ....
Old 04-21-2019, 06:18 PM
Corellian Nerfherder

Quote:
Originally Posted by Ulf the Unwashed View Post
I don’t know why the change but I wonder if the implications of the word “disability/disabled” plays a role.
That is, in fact, exactly why they changed it, as of this season.

Quote:
Deputy Commissioner Dan Halem said Thursday the change is being made at the suggestion of advocacy groups.

"In recent years, the commissioner has received several inquiries regarding the name of the 'Disabled List,'" Pfeifer wrote in a memo. "The principal concern is that using the term 'disabled' for players who are injured supports the misconception that people with disabilities are injured and therefore are not able to participate or compete in sports.
Old 04-21-2019, 06:21 PM

wow .... just wow ......
Old 04-21-2019, 06:25 PM

Quote:
Originally Posted by kenobi 65 View Post
That is, in fact, exactly why they changed it, as of this season.
Cool! Thanks for the info.
Old 04-21-2019, 06:46 PM

Quote:
Originally Posted by FoieGrasIsEvil View Post
That's really an amazing streak if you think about. I mean...not even ONE? Until now? Crazy game indeed.
It was actually the first time he ever popped out to the first baseman. He's popped out foul before. He's been on a crazy run: only seven pop-ups from 2010 to 2018.