Old 04-13-2019, 11:36 AM

Quote:
Originally Posted by RitterSport View Post
I think it's funny that there are fewer NHL fans on this board than, for example, fans of some obscure 16th century battle or something. There are so many obscure topics on this board that get more attention than a thread about the NHL playoffs. This place is odd.
I've never really gotten this either. I grew up in Maryland in the 70s and 80s - not exactly a hotbed of hockey. I think I've been ice skating exactly once. But hockey grabbed me like no other sport did. I can honestly take or leave the fighting; it's the grace, the athleticism, and most of all, the speed of the sport that caught me and didn't let go. I get different tastes and interests and all, but I will never not believe that playoff hockey is without a question, the most exciting post-season event in all of sports. (And sudden-death overtime postseason hockey just takes it to whole 'nother level).
Old 04-13-2019, 11:59 AM
Soy un pinche idiota
Charter Member

Quote:
Originally Posted by Snowboarder Bo View Post
Take THAT!
Yeah, that was a pretty unhinged game, tons of fun to watch.

Aside from that: Wow, Columbus. Never saw that coming.
Old 04-13-2019, 12:31 PM
Charter Member

I’m thinking that because there are so many places to discuss sports online these days that many people just don’t turn to the SDMB or any message board for their sports discussions these days. Even the NFL weekly threads don’t get the attention they would have ten years ago. Whereas there aren’t as many places to discuss obscure 16 century battles online.
Old 04-13-2019, 01:08 PM

Quote:
Originally Posted by Anamorphic View Post
... hockey grabbed me like no other sport did. I can honestly take or leave the fighting; it's the grace, the athleticism, and most of all, the speed of the sport that caught me and didn't let go. I get different tastes and interests and all, but I will never not believe that playoff hockey is without a question, the most exciting post-season event in all of sports. (And sudden-death overtime postseason hockey just takes it to whole 'nother level).
I agree with all of this. To which I'll add that personally I also find the experience of attending a live NHL game to be an event unlike in any other sport. I'm not sure I can pinpoint all the reasons why, it's just a rock concert kind of atmosphere. I don't go to games as much as I used to, but there was always this sense of excitement and anticipation.
Old 04-13-2019, 06:06 PM

Quote:
Originally Posted by Snowboarder Bo View Post
Take THAT!
VGK should be really pleased for getting Mark Stone - great all-around player.
Heh, Sharks going 1 for 8 on the PP - that won't get you far in the play-offs, and then rubbing salt in their own wound by giving up two shorties.

This and Tor/Bos are the only series I see going 7.
Old 04-13-2019, 08:50 PM

Kucherov suspended for Game 3. Time for the Bolts to panic?
Old 04-13-2019, 09:42 PM

I'm happy with the split in Boston.
Old 04-13-2019, 09:52 PM

Quote:
Originally Posted by Guest-starring: Id! View Post
VGK should be really pleased for getting Mark Stone - great all-around player.
When we got him, I texted my friends: Now I have to get another jersey.
Old 04-13-2019, 10:05 PM
Friend of Cecil
Charter Member

The Stars power play picked a bad time to dry up. 0-6, just one would have changed the game.
Old 04-14-2019, 05:52 AM
Charter Member

Quote:
Originally Posted by Ike Witt View Post
The Stars power play picked a bad time to dry up. 0-6, just one would have changed the game.
I decided midway through this game that neither the Stars nor the Preds are going to go far in the playoffs as both of them have terrible power plays. That game should have ended 6 to 5 if they could score on pp. But the Stars are going home having won one and forced OT in one, which is a lot better than I expected/feared before the playoffs began.

I don't expect us to go far this year but OMG when you see how Heiskanen and Hintz are playing in their first playoffs it certainly gives me hope for next year and the next few years. I live in Cedar Park where the Texas Stars AHL team plays and have a very vivid memory of seeing Roope Hintz break loose and fly down the ice to score a tie-breaker goal, and I look forward to many more of those. The kid is FAST.
Old 04-14-2019, 08:01 AM

Quote:
Originally Posted by DCnDC View Post
Kucherov suspended for Game 3. Time for the Bolts to panic?
Time to panic has passed. It started about the end of the first period in game 2.
Old 04-14-2019, 09:31 AM
Friend of Cecil
Charter Member

Quote:
Originally Posted by kayT View Post
I live in Cedar Park where the Texas Stars AHL team plays and have a very vivid memory of seeing Roope Hintz break loose and fly down the ice to score a tie-breaker goal, and I look forward to many more of those. The kid is FAST.
Nice, Cedar Park is a great place. I was just a stones throw from 1431 when I lived in the area.
Old 04-14-2019, 01:56 PM

Isles up 3-0!!!

No offense, Guin, but the crowd at the Coliseum is much better than the Pittsburgh crowd. When the Isles were looking to the Pens, they were as loud as ever. During the regular season, when they were losing (and lost) to the Leafs, the crowd was in it the whole time.

The Barclays Center crowd, on the other hand, usually has as many fans from the opposing team.

Anyway, dare I hope for a sweep?
Old 04-14-2019, 02:45 PM

WOOT! We got Gusev! If we win tonight (at home), we'll be up 2-1 in the series when he plays his first game as a Knight. Things are looking real good!
Old 04-14-2019, 02:59 PM

Well, it looks like Kadri will be suspended. Five games is my guess. If the Leafs play another five games.
Old 04-14-2019, 03:37 PM
Charter Member

OK, somebody 'splain something to me. I have not been paying much attention to hockey this year, but last time I checked (early in the year), my hometown boys the St Louis Blues were doing a pretty good job of holding down last place in the division. How the hell did they manage to get into the playoffs, and how are they up 2-0 in their series?
Old 04-14-2019, 03:46 PM

Quote:
Originally Posted by Shoeless View Post
OK, somebody 'splain something to me. I have not been paying much attention to hockey this year, but last time I checked (early in the year), my hometown boys the St Louis Blues were doing a pretty good job of holding down last place in the division. How the hell did they manage to get into the playoffs, and how are they up 2-0 in their series?
I don't watch a lot of St. Louis games, but from my understanding they had some injuries earlier on, and once the team got healthy they started playing really well. Their play in the last couple of months has been great.
Old 04-14-2019, 03:54 PM

Oh. And BInnington has been tremendous
Old 04-14-2019, 03:58 PM

Quote:
The Western Central was pretty crappy this year. Chicago sucked all year, the Wild turned to crap halfway through the year, Avs never lived up to their potential, and even Nashville and Winnipeg started struggling down the stretch. All a team had to do was play semi-decent hockey to get in and thatís what St.Louis did.
Old 04-14-2019, 04:16 PM

Quote:
Originally Posted by Leaffan View Post
Well, it looks like Kadri will be suspended. Five games is my guess. If the Leafs play another five games.
In case anyone wasn't aware of the reason:
https://www.cbc.ca/sports/hockey/nhl...ysis-1.5097401

Previous asshole-ism by the same player:
https://www.cbc.ca/sports/hockey/nhl...tion-1.4620208
Old 04-14-2019, 04:50 PM

Quote:
If the Leafs play another five games.
They will.

Quote:
Heard a few rumblings that their performance changed thanks to this Dec. 10 scrap at practice between Robert Bortuzzo and Zach Sanford. Young vs. old, with the old pounding home the way it's gotta be. Former player Nick Kypreos tells of how the Rangers' fortunes picked up sometime in the early 90's after Messier, in the dressingroom, picked up a player so that his feet were dangling.
And then this offering from that nutty character Pat Falloon, about Burtuzzo/Sandord:

Quote:
from link: Forward Pat Maroon rather enjoyed it.

ďThatís part of hockey, right?Ē Maroon said. ďWeíre still teammates. Sometimes people get heated and frustrations build up. I love that stuff. I think itís great. Thatís me though. I donít know if anyone else likes it.Ē
I can just picture him saying that with his goofy grin.

Also, of course:

Quote:
Oh. And BInnington has been tremendous
Quote:
Originally Posted by Hampshire View Post
All a team had to do was play semi-decent hockey to get in and thatís what St.Louis did.
And as it turns out, a lot more than semi-decent: since early Jan., they've been the league's second-most winning team, going 26-9-4 and becoming the seventh team since expansion in 1967 (which was also when the Blues joined the NHL) to make the postseason after being in last place after New Year's Day.
Amazing.
Old 04-14-2019, 04:58 PM

missed edit window:
That should be "Maroon", not "Faloon".
Old 04-14-2019, 05:36 PM
Charter Member

Quote:
<snip>
And as it turns out, a lot more than semi-decent: since early Jan., they've been the league's second-most winning team, going 26-9-4 and becoming the seventh team since expansion in 1967 (which was also when the Blues joined the NHL) to make the postseason after being in last place after New Year's Day.
Amazing.
My bolding. Yeah, that's about when I gave up on them. That's quite a turnaround! They also fired their coach about a third of the way into the season, right?

(Of course now I'm afraid to start watching... as soon as I do they'll surely tank!)
Old 04-14-2019, 06:03 PM

Quote:
My bolding. Yeah, that's about when I gave up on them. That's quite a turnaround! They also fired their coach about a third of the way into the season, right?

(Of course now I'm afraid to start watching... as soon as I do they'll surely tank!)
Not even a quarter of the way into the season former Flyer and apparently extreme yeller Craig Berube took over. When he first got there, he had sandpaper-y one-on-one meetings in his office with every player, and got them to toughen up especially with winning more battles along the boards, as well using a more aggressive 1-2-2 neutral zone alignment, encouraging the defensemen to hold their lines, and occasionally move up on the play (to be a fourth offensive player, say, while relying on a forward to pitch back for him, if required).

Oh start watching again, for chrissakes.
Old 04-14-2019, 06:13 PM

ACK! Final missed window edit, like, ever:

That should say "pinch", not "pitch".
Old 04-14-2019, 08:37 PM
Charter Member

The Blue Jackets will have the Lightening in an elimination game, who saw this coming?
Old 04-14-2019, 08:49 PM
Charter Member

Quote:
Originally Posted by dalej42 View Post
The Blue Jackets will have the Lightening in an elimination game, who saw this coming?
Would I believe they and the Pens might lose? Sure. Would I believe they would both be down 3-0? Nah. Kinda wish the Canes had lost(or won) one more game now.
Old 04-14-2019, 11:35 PM

Aren't the Lightning the favorites to win the Cup this year? And the Jackets the underdogs? This is absolutely insane!

Quote:
Originally Posted by RitterSport View Post
Isles up 3-0!!!

No offense, Guin, but the crowd at the Coliseum is much better than the Pittsburgh crowd. When the Isles were looking to the Pens, they were as loud as ever. During the regular season, when they were losing (and lost) to the Leafs, the crowd was in it the whole time.

The Barclays Center crowd, on the other hand, usually has as many fans from the opposing team.

Anyway, dare I hope for a sweep?

You don't need to tell me -- I was completely disgusted. I hope if we lose on Tuesday, (and we probably will, if we keep going like we are) people don't desert like that. Ugh.

(And usually we don't! That's just it. Like last year, when we fell to the Caps, people kept yelling "LET'S GO PENS!!!" I don't know what the fuck happened. Flyers fans, on the other hand, just kept booing at throwing beer cans at the ice)

Last edited by Guinastasia; 04-14-2019 at 11:36 PM.
Old 04-15-2019, 12:32 AM
Soy un pinche idiota
Charter Member

Quote:
Originally Posted by Guinastasia View Post
Aren't the Lightning the favorites to win the Cup this year? And the Jackets the underdogs? This is absolutely insane!
Yep, but that's really what keeps me with the NHL, the fact that it's usually insane. Luck figures into ice hockey in a way that it doesn't in any other sport. To possibly misquote Nate Silver - "It's not that hockey players aren't good, but the game keeps how good they are from determining the outcome of a game". Some nights or weeks a player just isn't as lucky as they had been before, and no matter what they do, the puck doesn't go in. It's harsh, but it's also why once you get to the playoffs, anything can happen.
Old 04-15-2019, 03:17 AM

Woot! We're up 2-1 and next game we get Gusev!
Old 04-15-2019, 06:50 AM

Quote:
Originally Posted by Sir T-Cups View Post
Time to panic has passed. It started about the end of the first period in game 2.
If they ain't panicking already, then maybe now would be a good time to start. The Jackets have their first ever chance at a series clinching game on Tuesday, and at home to boot. I may not sleep between now and then.
Old 04-15-2019, 11:24 AM

Quote:
Originally Posted by howye View Post
If they ain't panicking already, then maybe now would be a good time to start. The Jackets have their first ever chance at a series clinching game on Tuesday, and at home to boot. I may not sleep between now and then.
It's over.

Columbus is just in control in every facet of the game so far.
Old 04-15-2019, 11:37 AM

Quote:
This is why I feel hockey has the most unpredictable and thus most exciting playoffs of all the major sports. Tampa Bay had a whopping 62 win - 128 point season and was a totally dominant team throughout the season. Yet, somehow, the 8th seeded Blue Jackets "control every facet of the game". Amazing!

By the way, this happened to the Blackhawks three seasons ago. They won the President's Cup and were swept in the first round by, I believe, Nashville. They haven't even made the playoffs since.

Last edited by Jasmine; 04-15-2019 at 11:40 AM.
Old 04-15-2019, 12:59 PM

Quote:
It's over.

I am not counting Tampa out. Third period last night showed some life. I don't think they have four games in them, but as long suffering CBJ fan I can't count my chickens yet.
Old 04-15-2019, 05:29 PM

Quote:
Quote:
Originally Posted by wolfpup View Post
In case anyone wasn't aware of the reason:
https://www.cbc.ca/sports/hockey/nhl...ysis-1.5097401

Previous asshole-ism by the same player:
https://www.cbc.ca/sports/hockey/nhl...tion-1.4620208
Kadri's out for the rest of the Boston series. Sounds fair.
Old 04-15-2019, 05:45 PM

Quote:
Originally Posted by howye View Post
I am not counting Tampa out. Third period last night showed some life. I don't think they have four games in them, but as long suffering CBJ fan I can't count my chickens yet.
Nineteen whole seasons? The horror.
Old 04-15-2019, 09:53 PM

And the Leafs go up 2-1 in a complete nail-biter.
Old 04-15-2019, 10:23 PM
Soy un pinche idiota
Charter Member

Quote:
Originally Posted by Fleetwood View Post
Nineteen whole seasons? The horror.

Yeah, part of me wants to say, "Who do you think you are? St. Louis?" OTOH, if they sweep the president's cup holder in the first round, that's a pretty legendary way to exit the first round for the first time.

Last edited by scabpicker; 04-15-2019 at 10:23 PM.
Old 04-16-2019, 07:07 AM
Charter Member

Quote:
Originally Posted by Jasmine View Post
By the way, this happened to the Blackhawks three seasons ago. They won the President's Cup and were swept in the first round by, I believe, Nashville. They haven't even made the playoffs since.
Chicago won the Presidents' Trophy in the 2012-2013 season and won the Stanley Cup the same year. The year you're thinking of, 2016-2017, they had the third best record behind the Capitals and the Pens, but did get swept by the Predators in the first round, as you remember.
Old 04-16-2019, 07:51 AM

Quote:
Originally Posted by scabpicker View Post
Yep, but that's really what keeps me with the NHL, the fact that it's usually insane. Luck figures into ice hockey in a way that it doesn't in any other sport. To possibly misquote Nate Silver - "It's not that hockey players aren't good, but the game keeps how good they are from determining the outcome of a game". Some nights or weeks a player just isn't as lucky as they had been before, and no matter what they do, the puck doesn't go in. It's harsh, but it's also why once you get to the playoffs, anything can happen.
Yeah, I always think of a hockey player as like someone being paid on commission, but paid in lottery tickets. Hard work does get rewarded with more chances, but you still need to scratch the right ticket.

[For instance, the Bruins played like dogsh*t for 5/6ths of last night and still could have tied it up with one lucky bounce]

Last edited by Quercus; 04-16-2019 at 07:52 AM.
Old 04-16-2019, 08:16 AM

Quote:
Originally Posted by Jasmine View Post
This is why I feel hockey has the most unpredictable and thus most exciting playoffs of all the major sports. Tampa Bay had a whopping 62 win - 128 point season and was a totally dominant team throughout the season. Yet, somehow, the 8th seeded Blue Jackets "control every facet of the game". Amazing!
Two words... trade deadline.

Quote:
Kadri's out for the rest of the Boston series. Sounds fair.
Ridiculous... especially after last year! puts his team in a hole again. Makes you wonder what goes on in his head.

No one talking about the Ovechkin fight?
Nice punches but I'm not sure why Ovie would put himself at risk of injury. Where are his teammates?

WTF is up with both of them throwing punches with helmets and visors on anyway? That's just stupid. ...cue the Don Cherry anti-European rant!

Last edited by Sparky812; 04-16-2019 at 08:17 AM.
Old 04-16-2019, 08:22 AM

Caps really shit the sheets last night, but it was not unexpected.

Quote:
Originally Posted by Sparky812 View Post
No one talking about the Ovechkin fight?
Nice punches but I'm not sure why Ovie would put himself at risk of injury. Where are his teammates?
He was fighting a 19-year-old rookie, and he went full-on Gordie Howe on him. Knocked him out on his feet; did you see the kid go limp and collapse? Ovi's boys know he can handle himself, especially against that. Kid seems like a good player, but a fighter he ain't.
Old 04-16-2019, 08:48 AM

Quote:
Originally Posted by pulykamell View Post
Chicago won the Presidents' Trophy in the 2012-2013 season and won the Stanley Cup the same year. The year you're thinking of, 2016-2017, they had the third best record behind the Capitals and the Pens, but did get swept by the Predators in the first round, as you remember.
Ah, yes, I forgot about the eastern conference teams.
Old 04-16-2019, 01:06 PM

Quote:
Originally Posted by DCnDC View Post
Caps really shit the sheets last night, but it was not unexpected.

He was fighting a 19-year-old rookie, and he went full-on Gordie Howe on him. Knocked him out on his feet; did you see the kid go limp and collapse? Ovi's boys know he can handle himself, especially against that. Kid seems like a good player, but a fighter he ain't.

FTR, the kid challenged Ovi to fight but stupid of Ovi to bite. Of course, why wouldn't you want to goad, arguably the league's best player, into a fighting major. That's like trading a pawn for a queen! I don't think he expected to pay that price though.
Old 04-16-2019, 03:05 PM

Quote:
FTR, the kid challenged Ovi to fight
...according to Ovi.

Last edited by Snowboarder Bo; 04-16-2019 at 03:05 PM.
Old 04-16-2019, 03:38 PM

Quote:
Originally Posted by Jasmine
Quote:
Two words... trade deadline.
Except that such trades don't seem to have much effect most of the time. And they played mediocre (at best) hockey after the trades, up until (most of) the final games of the regular season. Did they suddenly figure it out?

I wish I was more optimistic about the Blue Jackets closing it out tonight...or on another night. If any team can blow a 3-0 series lead, it's the CBJ.

Will it be Great Bob or Bad Bob in goal?

Last edited by Jackmannii; 04-16-2019 at 03:39 PM.
Old 04-16-2019, 04:45 PM

Quote:
Originally Posted by Jackmannii View Post
Except that such trades don't seem to have much effect most of the time. And they played mediocre (at best) hockey after the trades, up until (most of) the final games of the regular season. Did they suddenly figure it out?......
Sure. It takes time for players to gel, not to mention getting used to coaching styles.
Old 04-16-2019, 05:47 PM

Impressive shot-blocking from Marner in last game's dying seconds against Bruins.

That's how captains are born.
Old 04-16-2019, 06:01 PM

Quote:
Impressive shot-blocking from Marner in last game's dying seconds against Bruins.

That's how captains are born.
Marner is a special player. He may be captain one day, but not now. As a Leaf fan I compare him to Doug Gilmour, as far as seeing the ice and playing every damned shift with heart. Doug got the captaincy eventually.

Last edited by Leaffan; 04-16-2019 at 06:02 PM.
Old 04-16-2019, 07:22 PM

Heh - that's TWICE, now, that McAvoy has knocked a forward (last night - Tavares) into Rask this season. The earlier hit resulted in a concussion for the goalie, and I'm sure last night didn't feel a whole lot better.