Old 05-10-2019, 11:19 AM

Quote:
Originally Posted by you with the face View Post
What is it that you think they can share?
I dunno. Maybe if the employee IS ill, they might ask the employee if they wish their co-workers to have any idea what is going on. Not sure what - if anything - they could communicate if there was some discipline going on, if the clmt was requesting a transfer, or whatever else.
Old 05-10-2019, 01:15 PM
Charter Member

Once upon a time I worked in a similar type of workplace to Dinsdale’s. A coworker was out on medical leave unexpectedly for several weeks and told the office manager why. She did not, however, mean for him to share with the whole office that it was an emergency hysterectomy because of an ectopic pregnancy!

Oops.
Old 05-10-2019, 01:31 PM

Quote:
Originally Posted by Dinsdale View Post
I dunno. Maybe if the employee IS ill, they might ask the employee if they wish their co-workers to have any idea what is going on.
And if management had this conversation with the employee and was told they wanted their privacy respected, do you think management is going to you tell this?
Old 05-10-2019, 01:37 PM

I don't see why anybody should bother answering OP until he says exactly what his job is, how much he gets paid, how many sick days he's taken, how many of those sick days were fake, where his productivity stands vs his co-workers, and whether he's a cats or dogs person.
Old 05-10-2019, 03:26 PM

Quote:
Originally Posted by you with the face View Post
What is it that you think they can share?
That Employee D who was out because of a leg injury has now become addicted to opioids and has gone into a substance treatment rehab facility to get clean. They have no idea when she will return.
Old 05-10-2019, 03:27 PM

Quote:
Originally Posted by Dinsdale View Post
they could communicate if there was some discipline going on
Where in your wildest dreams do you think this would be appropriate to share?
Old 05-10-2019, 04:11 PM

Quote:
Originally Posted by Omar Little View Post
Where in your wildest dreams do you think this would be appropriate to share?
Nice edit of my post!

In any event, now that I've figured how I'm going to deal with this change in workload, I'm back to my usual apathy. Don't care if the co-worker lives or dies, returns or not. Just gonna keep slogging along and collecting the paycheck.
Old 05-10-2019, 05:18 PM

Quote:
Originally Posted by Dewey Finn View Post
Sounds like that's the real problem; that management is doing a poor job of redistributing the work of the absent co-worker and identifying what the deadlines are.
They distributed the work just fine...to Dinsdale!
Old 05-11-2019, 05:03 PM

I'm afraid I don't get why so much of your beef here appears to be with the employee in question. If your workload is excessive, and it is increasingly difficult to get the job done in the time that you have, then surely it's your employer who is responsible for dealing with this problem.

The reason the employee is out should really not be relevant at all. It's not really HER work you are covering; it's your employer's work, and the relationship that determines how busy you are is the relationship between you and the employer.
Old 05-11-2019, 10:09 PM
You mean he's STILL here?
Charter Member

Another "can't your employer bring in a temp?"
Old 05-13-2019, 04:41 PM

Quote:
Originally Posted by kunilou View Post
Another "can't your employer bring in a temp?"
If the situation where Dinsdale is at is similar to the situation where I am is at, probably not. It's highly skilled labour, and someone from Mark Staffing is unlikely to be able to contribute in any realistic or meaningful way.
Old 05-13-2019, 07:57 PM
Charter Member

Quote:
Originally Posted by alice_in_wonderland View Post
If the situation where Dinsdale is at is similar to the situation where I am is at, probably not. It's highly skilled labour, and someone from Mark Staffing is unlikely to be able to contribute in any realistic or meaningful way.

Yeah, I don't get why people think these situations can always be solved with a temp. Sure, sometimes they can - but my employer can't hire a temp to replace me. Typically, what would happen is that the other two managers in my building would cover for me. If I was in a different office and the only manager assigned to the building one of my subordinates would be the Acting My Title. And someone else might get "Acting His Title" - but there is going to be a person missing somewhere on one of those three levels. Because a temp can't do any of our jobs, not even the entry-point one. ( which itself requires twelve weeks of full-time training)

Last edited by doreen; 05-13-2019 at 07:58 PM.
Old 05-14-2019, 11:52 AM

Quote:
Originally Posted by mhendo View Post
I'm afraid I don't get why so much of your beef here appears to be with the employee in question. ...
Not sure how much of a "beef" I have w/ anyone. Keep assigning me work, tell me whatever you think policy is re: prioritizing different assignments, and I'll get to it when I can.

Part of my curiosity likely reflects my previous impression that this missing employee was always "selfish" WRT shared resources/schedules - not a team player and definitely not a hard worker. Impressed me as the type of person who would cut corners. Of the people similarly situated to me, she is the one I would most expect to abuse leave or something. But - and I cannot overstate this - I really don't care. Just mildly curious.

I also think a workplace can decide whether or not to create a culture in which employees feel like helping each other out, or going above the call to help the office as a whole in unusual times. To put it mildly, our office has done NOTHING to cultivate such a dynamic.

I agree with everyone who observes that it isn't really my work or the other employee's work - it is the office's workload. And management is responsible for assigning it so it gets done. It is mildly bothersome when you put some effort towards doing your assignments in a timely manner, and then get last minute "crisis" assignments that take priority. But that's why they pay me the big bucks! And if I am only capable of producing a certain amount of work, you can assign me a rush task, but that just means something else is going to get put off.

To some extent, if something comes up, I can switch work with someone else. Just allows us to give each other some flexibility. (I generally have to offer my availability 6 months out. Makes scheduling vacations and such a bit of a hassle - but that's the job.) In such situations, co-workers are definitely helping each other out. But if I'm sick or something, I have no sense that my co-workers are doing ME a favor by picking up my work. I'm entitled to use my sick leave if I get sick.

And no, my job is not the type where you can just hire a temp. We are a national office, tho, and w/ some restrictions, work can be transferred to different employees in different offices.
Old 05-14-2019, 02:46 PM

I would think, feeling obligated or motivated to help *on a personal level* would come with the sort of basic familiarity that involves, if not some minimal socialization outside of work, at least mentioning major life events. If you are so formal or estranged with each other, I don't see why you should feel the need to make a special effort on their behalf. Just do whatever you would have done if they were laid off.
Old 05-14-2019, 03:12 PM

Quote:
Originally Posted by doreen View Post
Yeah, I don't get why people think these situations can always be solved with a temp. Sure, sometimes they can - but my employer can't hire a temp to replace me. Typically, what would happen is that the other two managers in my building would cover for me. If I was in a different office and the only manager assigned to the building one of my subordinates would be the Acting My Title. And someone else might get "Acting His Title" - but there is going to be a person missing somewhere on one of those three levels. Because a temp can't do any of our jobs, not even the entry-point one. ( which itself requires twelve weeks of full-time training)
And they can't do anything, anything at all, before those twelve weeks are over?

The lawyer in my brother's job, which I mentioned in a previous post, is going to be off for at least a year; after that she'll probably take the option to return part-time (and that's assuming everything goes well with her and the baby). Now, lawyers aren't the kind of people you get off a temp office (at least in Spain), but they do take temporary contracts; even with the time needed to get up to speed, any lawyer other than the guy who got the lowest grade at SucksDickUniversity shouldn't take anywhere near that long to at least be able to take the less-complicated national contracts off the ONE lawyer they're now left with. Who btw better not come down with anything...

Even for positions requiring training, there is a point at which the expected length of the absence is enough to justify hiring someone. That may need reorganizing, but goddamnit, being able to figure out how to cover up for missing people is supposed to be one of the things managers ought'a be able to do.

Last edited by Nava; 05-14-2019 at 03:15 PM.
Old 05-14-2019, 03:26 PM

Also - at the moment our national workload is dropping (tho still massive). So they aren't making any efforts to replace anyone who is out for any reason.
Old 05-14-2019, 03:31 PM

Quote:
Originally Posted by Omar Little View Post
That Employee D who was out because of a leg injury has now become addicted to opioids and has gone into a substance treatment rehab facility to get clean. They have no idea when she will return.
I was actually wondering about this, or that she had some kind of mental health issue that required long-term treatment.
Old 05-14-2019, 06:06 PM
Charter Member

Quote:
Originally Posted by Nava View Post
And they can't do anything, anything at all, before those twelve weeks are over?
Nope, not a thing. When I say full-time for twelve weeks, think of it as something like a police/fire academy or military basic training. It's not a matter of they spend every day at the office they are assigned to while a co-worker trains them - they are at a location where no work is actually done. All that happens at that location is training- 40 hours a week worth. New people are hired all the time based on projected needs, but they absolutely don't ( and can't)* add one extra person to the class starting June 1 because I found out today that Maria is going to be out for six months recovering from surgery. Maybe one of the people from that class will be assigned to my office - or maybe not.

* Lets say a class is 40 people. That means they have enough instructors and dorm rooms for a class of 40 people - and not enough for 41.

Last edited by doreen; 05-14-2019 at 06:09 PM.
Old 05-14-2019, 10:22 PM

To my eyes, the key is that the OP is under contract? Is he/she an Independent Contractor? An exempt salaried employee? A salaried or hourly employee? Paid by daily, weekly, monthly, yearly production? Union/non-union? Too many unknowns to make calls on what the OP should/can do.

In all cases, read the contract. The rights and right to question/dispute as an Independent Contractor are very few outside of what's in the contract. An exempt employee has a few more rights, but basically is paid to perform the tasks assigned regardless of how may hours it may take.

Speculation as for why the situation may be what it is, is that the company and the employee are in a legal dispute that requires the company to keep the position open as if she was still there. I won't got into details, but when I worked for the City and County (super strong local union), the former supervisor (who was fired), won a years long union dispute and I was told that if he insisted on returning to his former position, I'd be demoted (with no change in pay or duties) to Asst. Supervisor and he's be the Supervisor in title only. He wouldn't even be required to actually show up for work (they didn't want him to be there). Fortunately, he chose a cash payout instead of returning.

Last edited by lingyi; 05-14-2019 at 10:23 PM.