Old 05-05-2019, 10:45 PM

Sports: Jealously vs. Hatred over a team's success?

NFL & NBA: I'll keep it simple: Tom Brady & New England, along with the Golden State Warriors.

NHL: When the Blackhawks, Kings, & Penguins all won Stanley Cups between 2009-2017, (except for Boston in 2011), I felt like the Penguins got the most heat when they repeated IMO.

So, when a team's successful for a long period of time, are people just jealous of them, especially if their team hasn't been successful in a long time?

On an extra note, jealously & hatred are 2 different things...
Old 05-06-2019, 12:26 AM
Corellian Nerfherder

I reserve the word "hate" for things in the world that really deserve it, and sports teams -- even rivals of my favorite teams -- don't come even close to that level. Similarly, I don't think that jealousy really crosses my mind, either, at least not anymore.

When I was younger (in the 1970s and 1980s), being a Packer fan was often not fun, as the team was consistently pretty bad, and I suppose that, at that time, I probably had some jealousy over teams that were successful. (And, yes, I'm fully aware that the shoe has been on the other foot for much of the past 25 years.)

I'll say that I get tired of seeing a particular team consistently winning its league's championship. I can respect the skill (likely top-to-bottom in an organization) that goes into such a run of success, but if it's not "my team," after a certain point, I just want to see another team winning (even better if it's my preferred team).

If my team isn't going to have a chance to win the title in a particular season, I'd rather see a team win that hasn't won in a long time (if ever) -- so, in football, for example, I'd love to see Browns or Lions fans be able to finally enjoy a championship, rather than yet another Patriots win.

One other thing that can rub me the wrong way is that some (certainly not all) fans of teams which have been consistently successful can come across as feeling that championships are some sort of expectation or birthright -- I used to see that with some Cowboys fans in the 1970s, with some Yankees fans at various points, and now with some Patriots fans.

(Also, regarding the Blackhawks: yes, they had a very nice run recently of, what, three championships in six or seven years? Longtime hockey fans will also recognize that the Blackhawks had a multi-decade run of being mediocre-to-terrible, and a long-suffering fan base which finally got to enjoy that run of success.)

Last edited by kenobi 65; 05-06-2019 at 12:30 AM.
Old 05-06-2019, 03:35 AM
Charter Member

Hate is a strong word. I’ll say that Boston sports fans can be obnoxious at times, but they have become insufferable over the past decade.

So, I’m biased because I went to Florida State but the University
of Miami bandwagon fans were horrible during the criminal U era. Not only do I despise the sports teams, I just despise the University of Miami overall. It’s nothing but a playground for rich northeastern kids who couldn’t get into a real private school.
Old 05-06-2019, 08:47 AM

Quote:
Originally Posted by kenobi 65 View Post

If my team isn't going to have a chance to win the title in a particular season, I'd rather see a team win that hasn't won in a long time (if ever) -- so, in football, for example, I'd love to see Browns or Lions fans be able to finally enjoy a championship, rather than yet another Patriots win.
A lot of people don't seem to understand this concept. I'm a NY Giants fan and people were shocked that I was rooting for the Eagles over the Patriots in the super bowl a couple of years ago. A team that has never won vs. a team that has won a ton of championships is a no brainer to me.
Old 05-06-2019, 09:20 AM
Charter Member

Yeah, I'll echo that. If the same team keeps winning, that's not loathsome nor odious, but it can be boring. And the whole point of professional sports is to be entertaining, so boring is bad.
Old 05-06-2019, 09:44 AM

Generally, it's not jealousy, it's just fatigue of a team. And it doesn't take many titles either, I was already fatigued of the Golden State Warriors even before 2016. Ditto for Alabama even before 2009.

But there's a different level altogether for teams who win titles in very questionable fashion (re: tainted officiating for Lakers in 2002, Steelers in 1975, 1978, 2005 and 2008, a number of Chinese championships/crooked refs, a variety of other tainted titles, etc.)
Old 05-06-2019, 11:34 AM

Even though I'm from Pittsburgh, I wanted Peyton to go out on top when the Broncos defeated the Panthers in SB 50. Now, I know that people will shun me for this, but I'm still a Steeler fan at heart.

However, Manning seems to be more down to earth & less arrogant than Brady IMO. Brady's still an incredible athlete, but if you compare the two, their lives are vastly different, outside of being a rich athlete.

On an extra note, I'll never root against Pittsburgh ever again.
Old 05-06-2019, 11:49 AM
Corellian Nerfherder

Quote:
Originally Posted by sta3535 View Post
Even though I'm from Pittsburgh, I wanted Peyton to go out on top when the Broncos defeated the Panthers in SB 50. Now, I know that people will shun me for this, but I'm still a Steeler fan at heart.
"Shun"? I think that, for most sports fans, that'd be way overstating things.

Yeah, there are some vocal, opinionated jerks, who seem to dominate sports talk, and who view loyalty to their team as being akin to religion or politics. They take sports *way* too seriously.
Old 05-06-2019, 01:35 PM

Watching Cam Newton melt down during and after the game in SB 50 was by far my favorite part of that game.

Fans don’t seem to like it when the same team wins repeatedly. Well, that team’s fans might like it of course but it makes other fans resentful. It makes them feel like there’s no point in rooting for their own team, which leads to a decline in revenue as they don’t buy jerseys and tickets, etc. That’s why the NFL tried to push parity with salary caps, and the best draft picks going to losing teams instead of being a lottery, etc. When a team like New England wins consistently in spite of that, yes it’s impressive but it naturally leads to the very resentment that the NFL was trying to avoid.
Old 05-06-2019, 01:54 PM
Charter Member

Quote:
Originally Posted by dalej42 View Post
Hate is a strong word. I’ll say that Boston sports fans can be obnoxious at times, but they have become insufferable over the past decade.
The Boston teams have been exceptionally successful over that period. So, yeah, it's jealousy. Thanks for the example of how to blame it on others, though.

Quote:
Originally Posted by sta3535 View Post
Manning seems to be more down to earth & less arrogant than Brady IMO. Brady's still an incredible athlete, but if you compare the two, their lives are vastly different, outside of being a rich athlete.
If Manning had six rings and a supermodel wife, would he still "seem" to be more down to earth and less arrogant?

Last edited by ElvisL1ves; 05-06-2019 at 01:56 PM.
Old 05-06-2019, 02:03 PM

Quote:
Originally Posted by ElvisL1ves View Post
If Manning had six rings and a supermodel wife, would he still "seem" to be more down to earth and less arrogant?
The accent helps a bit with that image for Peyton.
Old 05-06-2019, 02:07 PM
Corellian Nerfherder

Quote:
Originally Posted by Atamasama View Post
The accent helps a bit with that image for Peyton.
Probably so, and he's done a good job of crafting a slightly dorky persona in the various TV ads he's done over the years (most recently for Nationwide Insurance).

Is he actually as down-to-earth as he appears? I have no idea; it's entirely possible that he is. OTOH, I also wouldn't be surprised if he isn't.