Old 05-16-2019, 12:03 AM

Banned from Twitter---for life?

Last week I posted a Tweet as an inside joke from a well known media show. Somehow Twitter decided the content of the joke violated their rules and suspended me.

I appealed, explained the joke, the context of it, and a few days later I was informed my Twitter account was permanently suspended. I contend this was an unfair decision and let Twitter know as such.

I know further attempts to set up an account on the same IP address will fail, as the suspension notice informed me these efforts will fail (I tried they are right). I have been able to set up accounts on different WiFi networks but ultimately my goal is to get back on Twitter using my iPhone, anywhere, everywhere.

Is there a tertiary appeals process? Is there a work around?

I am not willing to get into the details of the violation because that will hijack this thread. I can assure everyone if it makes them feel better I strongly disagree with Twitters decision. Lets move forward with the assumption Twitter made a mistake with the interpretation of their suspension policy.
Old 05-16-2019, 01:00 AM

Can we get a ruling from the mods as to whether telling you how to do this would be against the Board rules?
Old 05-16-2019, 02:06 AM

Quote:
Originally Posted by Sunny Daze View Post
Can we get a ruling from the mods as to whether telling you how to do this would be against the Board rules?
That question rather surprises me and raises a point of interest for me, as surely there is nothing illegal, immoral or unethical about creating such an account for twitter? I don't see it myself and not sure why the mods would get involved.

Last edited by Novelty Bobble; 05-16-2019 at 02:07 AM.
Old 05-16-2019, 02:21 AM

Whatevever about telling the OP about the tertiary appeals process, which presumably would be unobjectionable, I imagine the concern is that telling the OP about a "work-around" which would enable him to frustrate the ban and open the replacement Twitter account that he wants might be seen as advising the OP how to violate the terms of his service agreement with Twitter, under which he has (presumably) has agreed to respect any ban.
Old 05-16-2019, 02:42 AM

What was the joke -- that might give us some more insight.
Old 05-16-2019, 07:29 AM

Quote:
Originally Posted by russian heel View Post
Last week I posted a Tweet as an inside joke from a well known media show. Somehow Twitter decided the content of the joke violated their rules and suspended me.

I appealed, explained the joke, the context of it, and a few days later I was informed my Twitter account was permanently suspended. I contend this was an unfair decision and let Twitter know as such.

I know further attempts to set up an account on the same IP address will fail, as the suspension notice informed me these efforts will fail (I tried they are right). I have been able to set up accounts on different WiFi networks but ultimately my goal is to get back on Twitter using my iPhone, anywhere, everywhere.

I am not willing to get into the details of the violation because that will hijack this thread. I can assure everyone if it makes them feel better I strongly disagree with Twitters decision. Lets move forward with the assumption Twitter made a mistake with the interpretation of their suspension policy.
Use a web proxy service to mask your IP.
Old 05-16-2019, 07:48 AM

Quote:
Originally Posted by Guinastasia View Post
What was the joke -- that might give us some more insight.

What was the name of "the well known comedy show"?

I'd hate to think it rhymes with 'Pimple Whores'...

Last edited by Mundane Super Hero; 05-16-2019 at 07:49 AM. Reason: typo
Old 05-16-2019, 07:53 AM
Charter Member

Refusing to reference the actual content of the tweet makes you seem guilty, to be honest.

Were it an innocent remark and a simple misunderstanding, one would think that sharing it would not be at all difficult.

Pro Nazi? Anti women? Anti Muslim? Pro abortion? Pro child sex? Who would want to help you without ANY idea what you said? It would seem exceedingly foolhardy to do so, in my opinion.
Old 05-16-2019, 09:27 AM

Quote:
Originally Posted by UDS View Post
Whatevever about telling the OP about the tertiary appeals process, which presumably would be unobjectionable, I imagine the concern is that telling the OP about a "work-around" which would enable him to frustrate the ban and open the replacement Twitter account that he wants might be seen as advising the OP how to violate the terms of his service agreement with Twitter, under which he has (presumably) has agreed to respect any ban.
The board rules prohibit discussion of how to commit crimes. I don't recall there being a rule against helping someone breach a contract.
Old 05-16-2019, 10:38 AM
Charter Member

Quote:
Originally Posted by Really Not All That Bright View Post
The board rules prohibit discussion of how to commit crimes. I don't recall there being a rule against helping someone breach a contract.
On a board that takes banning and returning socks very seriously, I suspect the PTB would not look to favorably on this.
Old 05-16-2019, 10:54 AM

I'd love to hear what the original joke the OP made. Partly because I'd love to laugh at the Twits At Twitter for not getting it.

But also because if it were harmless, I think people here would be much more willing to help him out.
Quote:
Originally Posted by Telemark View Post
On a board that takes banning and returning socks very seriously, I suspect the PTB would not look to favorably on this.
Yeah, imagine if the OP were asking how to make a sock account here. Of course, here we'd be able to search and see what the joke had been.

Dammit, I really want to hear what The Line That Got Him Banned was... it'd brighten up a crappy day.

Last edited by digs; 05-16-2019 at 10:56 AM.
Old 05-16-2019, 10:56 AM

Quote:
Lets move forward with the assumption Twitter made a mistake with the interpretation of their suspension policy.
*snort*
It's a private company and you're not owed an account. If they want to ban you because they hate the tie in your profile photo, they can.

Your options are use a proxy or get a new phone.
Old 05-16-2019, 11:00 AM
Robot Mod in Beta Testing

Moderator Note

We do not allow discussions about ban evasion here. We also do not allow discussions about any method to disguise your IP address.

I don't know how clearly it is spelled out in the rules, but historically we have closed threads that were related to intentionally violating another web site's terms of service.

Quote:
Since there is still plenty of room for legal discussions about this that do not involve things like ban evasion, I will leave this thread open.

You are of course also free to discuss the legalities of the situation.
Old 05-16-2019, 11:11 AM

Quote:
Originally Posted by engineer_comp_geek View Post
We also do not allow discussions about any method to disguise your IP address.
Fascinating. So no discussion of VPNs at all? Seems like overkill.
Old 05-16-2019, 11:29 AM
Charter Member

Quote:
Originally Posted by Inner Stickler View Post
*snort*
It's a private company and you're not owed an account. If they want to ban you because they hate the tie in your profile photo, they can.
And THAT, boys and girls, is why I never wear a tie.

Or provide photos when I create a personal profile on social media sites.

Nor have I joined Twitter.
Old 05-16-2019, 11:31 AM

Quote:
Originally Posted by Inner Stickler View Post
Fascinating. So no discussion of VPNs at all? Seems like overkill.
We have been trying to allow discussions about legal uses of VPNs. We used to not allow any discussions about any sort of method of hiding your IP, but a lot of people use VPNs for legitimate security reasons. We have been trying to allow that.

Moderating this has been difficult, because the exact same technology that is used for legitimate reasons is also used by spammers, socks, and trolls to evade bans, and we don't want to allow those types of discussions.

VPNs are also commonly used for illegal file sharing, mostly for things like videos, music, and games. As this site is owned by a media company, they take copyright issues very seriously. Similarly, while there are legal uses for torrent software and the software itself is not illegal, discussions about torrents and torrent software are also prohibited here.
Old 05-16-2019, 12:42 PM

The OP isn't surprising at all.
Old 05-16-2019, 01:03 PM
Charter Member

Quote:
Originally Posted by Omar Little View Post
The OP isn't surprising at all.
Yeah, for real, I only wish Twitter would ban MORE Russian heels.
Old 05-16-2019, 01:15 PM

Quote:
Originally Posted by Left Hand of Dorkness View Post
Yeah, for real, I only wish Twitter would ban MORE Russian heels.
calling you and Omar:

https://youtu.be/cC-1ihrOs1E

Sent from my iPhone using Tapatalk
Old 05-16-2019, 01:19 PM
Charter Member

Quote:
Originally Posted by Novelty Bobble View Post
That question rather surprises me and raises a point of interest for me, as surely there is nothing illegal, immoral or unethical about creating such an account for twitter? I don't see it myself and not sure why the mods would get involved.
And meanwhile, what about people banned from the SDMB going to twitter, asking advice on how to get around their ban. Should that be allowed?
Old 05-16-2019, 01:22 PM

I’d like to know which one of you little snakes here snitched this out to the Moderator.

Old 05-16-2019, 01:25 PM

Quote:
Id like to know which one of you little snakes here snitched this out to the Moderator.
You don't need any help, you're doing just fine on your own.
Old 05-16-2019, 01:32 PM

Quote:
Id like to know which one of you little snakes here snitched this out to the Moderator.
It's kind of hard to believe that you got yourself banned from twitter.
Old 05-16-2019, 01:34 PM

I'm beginning to question your assumption that Twitter made a mistake here.
Old 05-16-2019, 01:41 PM

Quote:

It'll come to you.
Old 05-16-2019, 01:56 PM
born to be shunned

I have nothing to add really other than a glowing sense of pride that I know someone banned by Twitter. Now if someone I know gets banned by FaceBook I can die happy.
Old 05-16-2019, 02:29 PM

Quote:
For what it's worth, there was more than one.
Old 05-16-2019, 02:57 PM

Quote:
Originally Posted by kopek View Post
I have nothing to add really other than a glowing sense of pride that I know someone banned by Twitter. Now if someone I know gets banned by FaceBook I can die happy.
Yo! I got banned by Facebook (for not being my real name)! So check that off your list. I joined way way back before there were any requirements (easily in first 10,000 ppl as only 4 schools). They kept changing their use policy, I kept ignoring them and never gave them any identifying information, phone number, etc. Finally about 3 years ago, I pointed out some serious hypocrisy in a school equity debate and my arguee reported me to Facebook as being a fake name.

They wanted a picture of my drivers license or passport to stay alive. [but don't worry folks, they would delete the image within 30 days!!!] They didn't like my hand drawn replicas of such items telling Facebook to go eff itself. After a year, my account finallly seems to have deleted itself- so make sure that everything you want deleted is gone before you get banned. I stopped using it seriously/productively in 2004 when they first upped their "we now own your picture rights". I needed to keep it for community and school groups. Oh the random clubs I had joined additionally in order to keep their algorithms guessing.

Speaking of which: dehumidifier, welder, rubber duck, checkers [these are my current words for checking in to see who and where I am being listened to. If I get corresponding google or amazon results, I'll know for sure]
Old 05-16-2019, 03:47 PM

Quote:
For what it's worth, there was more than one.

With all the sniveling weasels around here that does not shock me.

Last edited by russian heel; 05-16-2019 at 03:47 PM.
Old 05-16-2019, 03:49 PM

I think I prefer being a weasel to a snake. They're furry and sort of cute, in a murderous way.
Old 05-16-2019, 03:56 PM

Could a weasel inspire a shirt like this one?
https://ae01.alicdn.com/kf/HTB1alf.J...pg_640x640.jpg
Old 05-16-2019, 04:06 PM

Quote:
Originally Posted by Disheavel View Post
...dehumidifier, welder, rubber duck, checkers [these are my current words for checking in to see who and where I am being listened to. If I get corresponding google or amazon results, I'll know for sure]
Say, friend, would you like to break into the exciting world of checking rubber ducks? Can you lift 50 pound boxes? Melt the edges of dehumidifiers until they fuse together? Pass a drug test? Well, just click here, or come to think of it, don't bother. Our agents are already in your neighborhood and will be at your door in 7 minutes. We suggest you have a carryon bag packed, and bring snacks and a valid passport.
Old 05-16-2019, 04:16 PM
Charter Member

Quote:
I’d like to know which one of you little snakes here snitched this out to the Moderator.
How do you mean "snitched this out?" Brought the thread to the attention of the mods? I can't imagine why you'd expect its existence to escape their notice indefinitely.

But, if you DO mean that, I'll just cite your aggressive characterization above as my reason for unrepentantly taking credit for it*.

And while I'm at it, I might as well confess to "snitching out" post 19 (which I'm about to do).

*(based on e_c_g's response, I suppose I should make that "partial credit")

ETA: P.S. ssssssssssss

ETA: P.P.S. Before this thread gets locked, why don'tcha go ahead and share the joke you made. Purely so that none of us gets stomped on for the same mistake, of course. It'll be like a public service!

Last edited by kaylasdad99; 05-16-2019 at 04:21 PM.
Old 05-16-2019, 04:25 PM
Charter Member

Quote:
Originally Posted by Really Not All That Bright View Post
Only criminal torts, or civil torts too?
Old 05-16-2019, 04:40 PM

Quote:
Originally Posted by Sunny Daze View Post
I think I prefer being a weasel to a snake. They're furry and sort of cute, in a murderous way.
Why can't we be the best of both worlds?

Quote:
Originally Posted by kaylasdad99 View Post
Before this thread gets locked, why don'tcha go ahead and share the joke you made. Purely so that none of us gets stomped on for the same mistake, of course. It'll be like a public service!
No, that runs the risk of hijacking this thread. Oh wait...

Never mind. Carry on, fellow weasels and snakes!
Old 05-16-2019, 05:01 PM

"Hijack" my ass. I have a feeling there's a damned good reason he doesn't want to say so.
Old 05-16-2019, 05:14 PM

Quote:
Originally Posted by kaylasdad99 View Post
How do you mean "snitched this out?" Brought the thread to the attention of the mods? I can't imagine why you'd expect its existence to escape their notice indefinitely.

But, if you DO mean that, I'll just cite your aggressive characterization above as my reason for unrepentantly taking credit for it*.

And while I'm at it, I might as well confess to "snitching out" post 19 (which I'm about to do).

*(based on e_c_g's response, I suppose I should make that "partial credit")

ETA: P.S. ssssssssssss

ETA: P.P.S. Before this thread gets locked, why don'tcha go ahead and share the joke you made. Purely so that none of us gets stomped on for the same mistake, of course. It'll be like a public service!

When you do kindly point out Posts 17 and 18 where I was personally attacked.

I said in the OP I wasn’t going over the content of the Tweet because it has nothing to do with how to get back on Twitter. So why ask for it?

Old 05-16-2019, 05:23 PM

Quote:
where I was personally attacked.
Since you like youtube...https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=W7rJpRqK-8E
Old 05-16-2019, 05:28 PM

Quote:

I said in the OP I wasnt going over the content of the Tweet because it has nothing to do with how to get back on Twitter. So why ask for it?

Because explaining WHY you got banned in the first place might HELP you get back. Duh.
Old 05-16-2019, 05:39 PM

Quote:
Originally Posted by Guinastasia View Post
Because explaining WHY you got banned in the first place might HELP you get back. Duh.

How?

Old 05-16-2019, 05:47 PM
Sith Mod

Quote:
You not getting the joke in post 18 doesn't make it a personal attack.

Quote:
I said in the OP I wasnt going over the content of the Tweet because it has nothing to do with how to get back on Twitter. So why ask for it?
If it was so innocent that you shouldn't have been banned from Twitter over it, why not share it?
Old 05-16-2019, 06:09 PM

Quote:
Since there is an ongoing thread here about the vital role of the comma in the English language, I feel I would be remiss in not pointing out the linguistic offensiveness in that run-on comma-deprived sentence.

I mean, really, russian heel, how can you not see the essential difference between your linguistically careening "When you do kindly point out ..." and the civil and comprehensible "When you do, kindly point out ...".

You're welcome. Perhaps that is why you were banned from Twitter.
Old 05-16-2019, 06:12 PM

Quote:
Originally Posted by bobot View Post
Could a weasel inspire a shirt like this one?
https://ae01.alicdn.com/kf/HTB1alf.J...pg_640x640.jpg
Well, no.

Quote:
Originally Posted by TroutMan View Post
Why can't we be the best of both worlds?
I like it!

Quote:
Originally Posted by Miller View Post
If it was so innocent that you shouldn't have been banned from Twitter over it, why not share it?
Considering how hard it is to get banned from the place, I'm dying to know how he did it.
Old 05-16-2019, 06:19 PM

So far the OP has convinced me that he managed to craft a sentence that is so incredibly offensive that posting it anywhere would instantly result in an instaban and speaking it aloud would cause you to be struck by lightning.
Old 05-16-2019, 06:21 PM

What do you have to do to get banned from Twitter for life?

https://www.npr.org/sections/alltech...d-from-twitter

Quote:
Originally Posted by From Twitter's own Policies
We may suspend an account if it has been reported to us as violating our Rules surrounding abuse. When an account engages in abusive behavior, like sending threats to others or impersonating other accounts, we may suspend it temporarily or, in some cases, permanently.
Damn, that's a pretty high bar...not just a simple misunderstanding or over political correctness.
Old 05-16-2019, 06:29 PM

Quote:

VPNs are also commonly used for illegal file sharing, mostly for things like videos, music, and games. ..
Wow thanks for the advice as to what I can use for my illegal file sharing. Perhaps someone should now report his post for rules violation.
Old 05-16-2019, 06:39 PM

I am amused that OP thinks his Twitter absence will be sorely missed.

I am further amused that he shares a Twitter banning ignominy (if not notoriety) with the likes of Milo Yiannopoulos, Louis Farrakhan and Alex Jones.

Your mother must be so proud, RH.
Old 05-16-2019, 06:48 PM

Quote:
Originally Posted by QuickSilver View Post
I am amused that OP thinks his Twitter absence will be sorely missed.

I am further amused that he shares a Twitter banning ignominy (if not notoriety) with the likes of Milo Yiannopoulos, Louis Farrakhan and Alex Jones.

Your mother must be so proud, RH.
Exactly. It took years to get those turnip heads off Twitter. RH did it with an "in-joke". I'm sure there was nothing offensive about it at all.
Old 05-16-2019, 06:51 PM

Quote:
Originally Posted by begbert2 View Post
So far the OP has convinced me that he managed to craft a sentence that is so incredibly offensive that posting it anywhere would instantly result in an instaban and speaking it aloud would cause you to be struck by lightning.
In fairness, it wasn't the original joke that got an instaban; that was just a suspension. It became a ban when he attempted to explain himself.

I wonder if his response to the Twitter moderators included calling them snakes, weasels, and morons.
Old 05-16-2019, 07:04 PM

Quote:
Originally Posted by wolfpup View Post
Since there is an ongoing thread here about the vital role of the comma in the English language, I feel I would be remiss in not pointing out the linguistic offensiveness in that run-on comma-deprived sentence.

I mean, really, russian heel, how can you not see the essential difference between your linguistically careening "When you do kindly point out ..." and the civil and comprehensible "When you do, kindly point out ...".

You're welcome. Perhaps that is why you were banned from Twitter.
If you use grammar correction to win and argument you lost. And we weren’t even arguing.

Last edited by russian heel; 05-16-2019 at 07:09 PM.