Old 11-14-2019, 11:45 PM

Workplace self-grading. B's across the board. I can't play this game anymore, find someone else.
Old 11-15-2019, 06:49 AM

Quote:
Originally Posted by The Vorlon View Post
There seem to be a extremely large number of dentists that, while completing school, graduated at the bottom of their class, be it from a lack of ability, compassion or having a close Ferengi relative...
Either that or they're the dentist's son-in-law.
Old 11-15-2019, 08:35 AM

Quick update on my mother-in-law: She's recovering well and should be going home tomorrow. She went from not being able to stand up on her own a month ago to now standing for up to 10 minutes and walking up 4 steps!
Old 11-15-2019, 09:35 PM
Straight Dope Science Advisory Board

Do you notice anyything wrong on the new seal for the CVN-79?
Old 11-15-2019, 09:56 PM

Damn! I spelled "anything" wrong. Oh, well.
Old 11-15-2019, 11:31 PM

Quote:
Originally Posted by overlyverbose View Post
My mini-rants also seem really small compared to rockets. Stay safe, Alessan.

I'll still be a whiny crab and rant.

1. I have a crack in my tooth, which isn't nearly as bad as breaking it off at the root, which must hurt like a bitch. But it has been cracked for over a year; unfortunately, my dentist capped the wrong tooth when I first told her about it. As such, I've been unwilling to get it taken care of because it wasn't that bad. Now it's getting close, so I should probably be a damn adult and get it done. ...
Damn. Bummer.

A year or so ago at a long delayed dental cleaning at a new dentist (after my move) the dentist showed a intra-oral picture showing a large part of a lower molar had broken off. I didn't hurt and I had no idea the tooth had broken. I deferred doing anything about it at the time

Fast forward to the present and I started having pain when chewing on that side. Time to suck it up and go back to the dentist and he was able to put in a large filling. Problem solved... except the pain didn't go away.

As I was eating dinner a couple weeks ago, just days after the dental filling above, a large piece broke off a top molar on the same side... 15 minutes before my dentist's office would close for the weekend. A brief phone conversation indicated that the piece of tooth would not be needed for a repair and there was no need for an emergency evaluation. Got a crown the following Monday morning. At four times the price of the filling.

Not exactly the dentist capping the wrong tooth, but apparently it was a cracked upper molar that was causing the pain and it went undetected on a panoramic x-ray taken at the filling appointment.

Sigh.

Last edited by Iggy; 11-15-2019 at 11:32 PM.
Old 11-15-2019, 11:39 PM

Quote:
Originally Posted by Monty View Post
Do you notice anyything wrong on the new seal for the CVN-79?
Nope, can't spot it. What is it?
Old 11-16-2019, 12:32 AM
Charter Member

Quote:
Originally Posted by cochrane View Post
The new seal for the CVN-79 carrier shows outlines of the planes expected to be used on the ship. Among them is a pilotless drone plane.
Old 11-16-2019, 12:33 AM

i know ive posted some unintelligible. crap on here but does anyone understand anything 24KARAT is trying to say anywhere on the board ?
Old 11-16-2019, 03:50 AM

Quote:
Originally Posted by cochrane View Post

Check out the Roman numeral.
Old 11-16-2019, 04:14 AM

I was just advised that CIX may be referring to Kennedy's PT boat. If so, then that should be indicated somehow on the seal. Now it just looks silly.
Old 11-16-2019, 06:15 AM

I've never seen a PT boat expressed in roman numerals, especially without the PT. That looks really stupid.
Old 11-16-2019, 07:24 AM

OK, I saw the Roman numeral and I knew it referred to JFK's PT boat, but it didn't really strike me as "wrong." But I am not a naval person.
Old 11-16-2019, 11:33 AM
Charter Member

Quote:
Originally Posted by panache45 View Post
I've never seen a PT boat expressed in roman numerals, especially without the PT. That looks really stupid.
Using Arabic numerals would have potentially caused confusion about the carrier’s hull number.

They could have used 1101101 as a reference to 109; being in binary, it would have symbolized that they were going to be using the digital catapults...
Old 11-17-2019, 08:14 PM

I'm in the sneeze/runny nose cycle, and have been blowing my nose so much the skin at the edge of my nostrils cracked. Owie, owie.

Hey, anti-rant time: rescinding my earlier post about the Secret Santa exchange. It's on like Donkey Kong, baby!

https://r.tapatalk.com/shareLink/top...ink_source=app
Old 11-18-2019, 12:29 AM

I got what feels like a mosquito bite on my foot. In my living room. In November. At least three days ago, and it STILL itches if I happen to put any pressure on that part of that foot.
Old 11-18-2019, 03:32 AM

might be a spider bite.....
Old 11-18-2019, 07:49 AM

might be a radioactive spider's bite.
Old 11-18-2019, 08:14 AM

Might be an extraterrestrial radioactive spider bite.
Old 11-18-2019, 09:33 AM
Charter Member

Yay, it's the day of the company potluck lunch. I hauled all of my stuff to the far end of the warehouse, where goodies are traditionally dropped off to be arranged by the lunch organizers, only to find a few rows of empty tables and two microwaves. Puzzled, I headed up to the break room, where everyone else had randomly dumped their food items. Apparently, someone from the warehouse will be sending carts up later to retrieve the food. Several items had already been opened and pawed over by hungry coworkers.

Oh, and the break room is rather small, and doesn't have nearly enough outlets to accommodate all the hot pots that people are bringing in -- unlike our warehouse and its very nice electrical system. Gee, do you think there's a reason we typically drop off our food items in the warehouse?

And, as always, volunteer positions for this lunch (setup, cleaning, etc.) were only offered to the women, despite the fact that there are plenty of able-bodied men in this company.
Old 11-18-2019, 10:16 AM

Iggy, I totally get it. My issue is kinda similar in that they think the crack that's causing the issue is so thin they can't see it on an x-ray but enough to cause heat sensitivity, which is apparently a hallmark of a cracked tooth (the more you know, I guess). I hope you're pain free, if not now, soon.

My mini-rant is this: my son's scout troop leadership is comprised of the most disorganized bunch of yahoos I've ever met. They lost their goddamn paperwork, and every single one of them is claiming that they were not responsible, even though the central scouting office said they hand-delivered the fucking thing to one of them. Unfortunately, that one was the larger nitwit of the several nitwits running the joint and he's claiming to never have received it. This is also the guy who claimed to not have any information on previous campouts who later found the binder with information on every campout for the last five years in his truck, so I'm somewhat more inclined to believe the central office.

Why am I so pissed about this? If they don't fill this paperwork out, there is no scout troop anymore. And somehow this is my problem because they've asked me to help track it down. Like a moron I agreed, thinking all I'd have to do is remind (gently) whoever had it. Fucking irresponsible douchebags. Also, these guys seem to assume that because I'm a woman I surely must work at home and have all the goddamn time in the world to set this shit up. Hardly, you assholes - I work full time (as you'd know if you could remember a damn thing) and shockingly do not have time for any of this.
Old 11-18-2019, 11:01 AM
Charter Member

Quote:
Originally Posted by purplehorseshoe View Post
I'm in the sneeze/runny nose cycle, and have been blowing my nose so much the skin at the edge of my nostrils cracked. Owie, owie.

Hey, anti-rant time: rescinding my earlier post about the Secret Santa exchange. It's on like Donkey Kong, baby!

put chapstick on it. it works wonders.
Old 11-18-2019, 12:42 PM

Quote:
Originally Posted by nightshadea View Post
my dad has said that he'd rather go back and redo his two 'nam tours exactly as they originally happened than have shingles again........
It's not the worst thing in the world, I'm sure, but this is some buulllshiiiiit.

Had a rash about 5" wide from about the middle of my spine, around my left side over the bottom of my ribs to the center of my chest/upper stomach.

The rash has pretty much cleared up. Weird thing is the skin is oddly sensitive; I can touch it, rub it, scrub it with a bath poof, no problem. But it's just the slightest touches like a shirt rubbing that feel like a bad (bad) sunburn. And it ITCHES! But scratching it doesn't help...it's like the itch is 1/4" below the skin and I can't get to it.

Then there's the nerve pain, which still feels like I did the world's hardest ab and back workout 2 days ago, but only on the left side. Plus my actual abs, which are sore from constantly trying to keep by torso steady so as not to aggravate everything else.

At least I've been able to sleep lately. Yay drugs....

Rumor has it this might stick around for a week, a month, or always...
Old 11-18-2019, 03:15 PM
Embracing the Suck
Charter Member

Quote:
Originally Posted by Sicks Ate View Post
Weird thing is the skin is oddly sensitive; I can touch it, rub it, scrub it with a bath poof, no problem. But it's just the slightest touches like a shirt rubbing that feel like a bad (bad) sunburn.
Welcome to the wonderful world of neuropathy ... *sigh*

I have it still hanging out, 9 months and in my hands it has mostly gone and my hand strength is back. But I am still hypersensitive to fingersticks [or any tiny localized pressure] It was horrible when it was going full blast, no hand strength, no coordination, and numb tingly until one tried to get a fingerstick then it was like someone jabbed an icepick in.

It may or may not resolve, wonderful ...
Old 11-18-2019, 04:01 PM
Charter Member

I had a few small spots, two on my back and one on my stomach. I thought it couldn't be shingles since one of the spots went across my spine. The doctor says that is atypical but definitely shingles.

It was the most miserable crap I have been through something so small hurt so bad. Solarcaine (a topical anesthetic) was the only thing that got me through. Doc gave me Hydrocortizone which didn't help at all.

for a year or so after I got phantom pains in the same sites.

You have my sympathies.
Old 11-18-2019, 04:11 PM

I'm running out of a very important medication that I have to take 4x/day. I called in a refill request last week, and was told last Friday that the order had been called in to my pharmacy. I went to pick it up and was informed that they never received the call. My doctor's office was already closed for the weekend, so the pharmacist gave me enough pills to last the weekend. This morning I checked with the pharmacy and was told they still hadn't heard from the doctor. I called the doctor's office and they confirmed that the order had been sent last Friday. Where did they send it? To a very expensive pharmacy I had never used, in a hospital in another part of town. I've been going to this doctor over 20 years, and have used the same pharmacy the entire time. All of a sudden they're sending refill requests somewhere else. So now it's late Monday, I'm out of the medication, and still waiting for my pharmacy to receive the refill order.
Old 11-18-2019, 04:30 PM

Dear BIL, unless I've asked you when is a good time to call you, don't text me with your availability out of the blue and tell me to call you at a specific time without making sure I'm free because you need to talk to me. I talk to you, what, twice a year? That's not an accident, buddy.

Even douchier is when I do call you, somewhat worried that something is wrong, you tell me you're not available and give me yet another time to call you and get mad at me when *gasp* I don't call you at that time because I'm fucking working, you shithead.

Then when we finally do connect, you complain about my older kids' language around your younger kids at Christmas. The "language" in question? My 13 year old said, "What the heck?" and you felt it was too close to "What the hell." Similarly, "Darn" is just too close to damn for you and you're worried preschool will think badly of you if your kids say those things.

Seriously, if you think those are the things people think badly about you for, you're in for an amazing awakening. Shall we start with the fact that your youngest (5 yo) tells you both to Shut UP and then spits in your faces and slaps you? Or maybe that your eight year old still throws tantrums when you take the phone away? No? Could it possibly be problematic that your eldest chokes his brother and slams his head into the wood floor and his brother retaliates by sitting on his chest and hocking loogies into his face? In public? 'Cause let me tell you, if your kids act like that, saying darn or heck is the very least of your worries.
Old 11-18-2019, 08:44 PM

I lost my USB drive. So small, yet so terribly important. Woe is me.
Old 11-18-2019, 10:32 PM

Quote:
Originally Posted by purplehorseshoe View Post

Quote:
Originally Posted by adhemar View Post
put chapstick on it. it works wonders.

Also, instead of tissues, use babywipes/wet wipes.
Old 11-18-2019, 10:38 PM
Charter Member

Shiva my cat is 15+ years old. He has had IBD for years and was recently diagnosed with hyperthyroidism. In the last year or so, he's gone from a healthy 11-12 lbs to a bit over 6. Skin over bones.

The last pound he lost over the course of October. I took him in to the vet because he wasn't eating and he was throwing up bile. So the vet said, take him off the hyperthyroid meds, add this anti-nausea med because IBD is a very bad thing for cats, and we'll put him on this Science Diet Biome canned food, which is even more expensive than the W/D cans and is also in smaller cans (2.5oz versus 5.5). I was to keep an eye on his feeding and reintroduce the hyperthyroid meds if his appetite picked up.

In the last couple of days I've halved his anti-nausea (doctor's orders, he hasn't been blupping) and reintroduced half his hyperthyroid. Today he got an entire dose of the hyperthyroid.

He has eaten THREE of the cans of the Biome yesterday and today, which is 7.5 oz PER DAY, and he is currently screaming for more food.

I think he's put on a bit of weight which is supposed to be impossible when hyperthyroid, but his ribs don't feel quite so prominent, but ye GODS CAT SHUT THE FUCK UP I CAN'T STAND IT ANYMORE. His yowls are very, very loud, and he can keep it up for an hour or more at a time. I'm ready to strangle him.

ETA: purplehorseshoes, when my nose gets like that I make sure what I have are the ultrasoft Puffs tissues and I apply something like Neosporin with a topical anesthetic. The Neosporin is protective and prevents infections, and the anesthetic, obviously, dulls the pain. Some people can't use the Neosporin, but the important bit is the topical anesthetic and something that can protect the cracked skin.

Last edited by Morgyn; 11-18-2019 at 10:41 PM.
Old 11-18-2019, 10:58 PM

Oh, yeah, hyperT cats, what joy! IMHO, getting a sick cat to eat food is more important than getting the jerk to eat the right food.

The heartbreaking part of hyperT is that it masks kidney issues. From what I understand, kidney cats feel like they have a mild hangover all the time with the iffy tummy that comes from that. Toss in a non working thyroid and things really go to heck.

At one time, I followed the vet's orders to the letter when it came to my old cats. It didn't really seem to help in their longevity or quality of life. Now, our old sick cats get whatever they want to eat. They might die sooner, but they seemed happier during the process.
Old 11-18-2019, 10:59 PM
Charter Member

And now the noisy fuck is pawing at me in an attempt to get me to feed him more.

NO MORE FOOD.
Old 11-18-2019, 11:00 PM
Charter Member

Quote:
Originally Posted by flatlined View Post
Oh, yeah, hyperT cats, what joy! IMHO, getting a sick cat to eat food is more important than getting the jerk to eat the right food.

The heartbreaking part of hyperT is that it masks kidney issues. From what I understand, kidney cats feel like they have a mild hangover all the time with the iffy tummy that comes from that. Toss in a non working thyroid and things really go to heck.

At one time, I followed the vet's orders to the letter when it came to my old cats. It didn't really seem to help in their longevity or quality of life. Now, our old sick cats get whatever they want to eat. They might die sooner, but they seemed happier during the process.
He LOVES the Biome food. Inhales it. But the vet said, feed him for the weight he's at, and he's not supposed to be getting more than 2.5 cans a day at his current weight and he's eating 3 and wants more...

He gets regular urine and blood tests for his liver and kidneys because of the prednisone he's on.
Old Yesterday, 07:43 AM

I've got a couple elderly cats starting down the kidney failure slide. In the past with other kidney-cats I've tried to do all the special diet stuff and stressed us all out with getting them to eat. This time I'm letting them eat as much or as little of whatever the hell they want. These girls are 14 and 16 and have had good, well-loved lives. If they want rotisserie chicken, canned tuna, and Temptations treats, well then that's what they can have. If it shortens their lives by a few months I don't think that's a tragedy (though I dread the last day) so long as they are content in their days up until the end.

Quality over quantity, every time.
Old Yesterday, 07:02 PM
Charter Member

Poor sweet kitties.

I have no personal experience with cats, but during my dog's final month she gradually stopped showing interest in any foods except meat. We weren't sure what was wrong with her at first (it turned out to be horrifically metastasized cancer), so the vet encouraged us to feed the dog what she seemed to want rather than trying to force her to eat dog food. That dog's final weeks were filled with grilled or baked chicken, roast beef, and the occasional steak...and I'll always swear she understood that she was being treated extra special.
Old Yesterday, 07:15 PM
Charter Member

The food Shiva's on now looks and smells a bit like a chicken and vegetable stew. And he is inhaling it, so I think he likes it.

I just wish it weren't so expensive. 4 weeks is going to run about $200.

The things we do for our animals. But as long as he appears to be happy and without pain, he'll get what he needs and wants.

ETA: Whoa, I thought they were 2.5oz cans. They're not, they're 2.9oz. So he's eating 9oz. a day right now.

Last edited by Morgyn; Yesterday at 07:17 PM.
Old Yesterday, 09:15 PM

Quote:
Originally Posted by panache45 View Post
I'm running out of a very important medication that I have to take 4x/day. I called in a refill request last week, and was told last Friday that the order had been called in to my pharmacy. I went to pick it up and was informed that they never received the call. My doctor's office was already closed for the weekend, so the pharmacist gave me enough pills to last the weekend. This morning I checked with the pharmacy and was told they still hadn't heard from the doctor. I called the doctor's office and they confirmed that the order had been sent last Friday. Where did they send it? To a very expensive pharmacy I had never used, in a hospital in another part of town. I've been going to this doctor over 20 years, and have used the same pharmacy the entire time. All of a sudden they're sending refill requests somewhere else. So now it's late Monday, I'm out of the medication, and still waiting for my pharmacy to receive the refill order.
Bookmarking it for the next time someone explains to me how great American healthcare is. Sorry you're having to deal with that perfectly-avoidable crap on top of your unavoidable issues.
Old Yesterday, 10:13 PM

Enjoy it while you can, Morgyn! Those fuzzy little assholes like to suck us into thinking we've finally found the miracle food and then change their minds practically in mid-bite.

Steve has a skin condition that requires daily doses of Atopica (he starts ripping his fur out after missing 2 doses), which only comes in a bitter tasting liquid. Hiding it is such a fun game of fool the cat.*

In the last year, we have gone through pill pockets, canned chicken juice, putting it on his favorite treats, injecting it into little pieces of KFC and are now hiding it in tuna juice. We will probably have to move on in a month.

I didn't actually come here to complain about cats, though. That's just so normal that I don't bother most of the time.

No, I am whining because Diablo 1 and Hellfire have been released again and I seem to have been left for a game. At least Missy is happy, she gets to spend all day on my BB's lap.

*I tried squirting it down his throat once and he became so head shy with me that I just cannot do it again.
Old Yesterday, 10:54 PM

Quote:
Originally Posted by Morgyn View Post
And now the noisy fuck is pawing at me in an attempt to get me to feed him more.

NO MORE FOOD.
Poor kitty. The 'I want more food' howl is the worst. My 2 brat-cats are not sick only finicky. I've never found a food they will reliably like daily. 3 yo and zooming on to an early death if they don't stop. They are very thin Siamese. The vet would like more weight on them. I cut out the Crack treats (Temptations and similar). I make chicken liver treats for them. I have to be careful or that's all they would eat.
Good luck with your sick kitty.

Last edited by Beckdawrek; Yesterday at 10:55 PM.
Old Today, 12:14 AM
Charter Member

Quote:
Originally Posted by Beckdawrek View Post
Poor kitty. The 'I want more food' howl is the worst. My 2 brat-cats are not sick only finicky. I've never found a food they will reliably like daily. 3 yo and zooming on to an early death if they don't stop. They are very thin Siamese. The vet would like more weight on them. I cut out the Crack treats (Temptations and similar). I make chicken liver treats for them. I have to be careful or that's all they would eat.
Good luck with your sick kitty.
Thanks. For a sick old man kitty, he's pretty active and happy. Despite my complaints, I really do love him. I just wish he hadn't decided to be my personal car alarm that no one comes out to shut off and it just goes on until the battery dies kind of cat, y'know?
Old Today, 07:00 AM

So sorry about all of you with cat problems. After what I went through last year, I've been really lucky with my remaining kitty. She hasn't had a sick day in her life. She's happy with whatever I feed her and never complains if the litter needs changing. Good girl!

Oh, and it's now Wednesday morning, and I STILL don't have those meds. The pharmacy has promised them for this P.M.
Old Today, 08:41 AM

Dear Microsoft:

"Final results" is not the same thing as "results". "Specific gravity" is not the same thing as "gravity". "Actual values" is not the same thing as "values". Kindly concise my ass.