Old 05-17-2018, 02:16 PM

What happens is a sitting president refuses to obey a summons to appear in court?

Hi

What happens is a sitting president refuses to obey a summons to appear in court? Does he have the right to refuse?

I look forward to your feedback.

https://nypost.com/2018/05/17/trumps...nied-by-judge/

A Manhattan appeals panel has rejected President Trump’s request to stay a defamation claim filed by a former “Apprentice” contestant while he’s in office.

“The motion is denied,” five justices from the state’s mid-level Appellate Division wrote in a one-page decision released Thursday. The ruling means the case can move forward.
Old 05-17-2018, 02:34 PM
Charter Member

That was not a ruling on a summons. It was a ruling on whether the lawsuit may go forward.
Old 05-17-2018, 02:38 PM

Quote:
Originally Posted by Ravenman View Post
That was not a ruling on a summons. It was a ruling on whether the lawsuit may go forward.
I understand. My question, though was what would happen if a sitting president were actually summoned and refused?
Old 05-17-2018, 02:40 PM

Quote:
Originally Posted by davidmich View Post
I understand. My question, though was what would happen if a sitting president were actually summoned and refused?
The trial court can enter sanctions, including a default judgment against the party refusing to appear.
Old 05-17-2018, 02:44 PM
Charter Member

Quote:
Originally Posted by davidmich View Post
It appears to be a hypothetical, because it would seem overwhelmingly likely that the President would be subject to a deposition, not ordered to appear in court.
Old 05-17-2018, 02:50 PM

Quote:
Originally Posted by Procrustus View Post
The trial court can enter sanctions, including a default judgment against the party refusing to appear.
Thanks Procrustus. I'm assuming that any such judgments will have little effect on him retaining his office. Or could any such judgments lead to impeachment? If not can these default judgments we carried over to a period after his term/terms of office have expired. Is this uncharted territory?
Old 05-17-2018, 03:13 PM
Charter Member

Bill Clinton was required to sit for a deposition in Paula Jones' case while he was President. He was later found by the court to have given false testimony, which resulted in a finding of contempt of court, a fine, and an agreed-upon suspension of his license to practice law. This testimony, as well as conflicts between this testimony and his testimony in the independent counsel's investigation, constituted the formal legal basis for the impeachment proceedings against him.

(Since this is GQ, I will note that I am attempting to limit my response to the bare facts, and this is not intended as any sort of comment on the merits of any of those proceedings).
Old 05-17-2018, 03:32 PM

Quote:
Originally Posted by Tom Tildrum View Post
Bill Clinton was required to sit for a deposition in Paula Jones' case while he was President.
Technically Clinton agreed to it and was not forced. He could have tried to stay out of it and make courts force the issue or let him off but for whatever reason he didn't (almost certainly a political calculation on his part).

Quote:
In 1998, independent prosecutor Ken Starr served a subpoena on Clinton that ordered him to testify about his relationship with White House intern Monica Lewinsky. Clinton soon agreed to testify voluntarily, an arrangement Starr went along with because it headed off a potential challenge to the subpoena on constitutional grounds.

SOURCE: https://www.apnews.com/e955c483fbbf4e069b6e547f043bf57d

Last edited by Whack-a-Mole; 05-17-2018 at 03:33 PM.