Old 02-05-2018, 01:01 AM

Well, DUNE is wearing out my habitat builder's battery. The central spires are built and partially reinforced, and all moonpools are installed and functional, though not in use yet. The first ring of observation is coming along nicely, with foundations and some growbeds installed, as well as observatories to watch passing leviathans. Now I'm mining all the quartz I can find (and the scanner installation is showing it's mettle in the search) for more observation rings and the four large aquariums that will be the centerpieces of the outer spires. Thermal vents have been located, so power should be little issue. If there is, there's two or three more vents nearby that can be exploited.

I took a small vacation to punch a reaper in the face, and it was impressively satisfying. He might have run away to hide (though they seem to wander quite a bit), but the scanner still picks up three, including one that likes to circle a hundred meters or so above DUNE. I'll encourage him to relocate shortly.

All in all, DUNE is coming along nicely. Titan I is adept at dodging leviathans (as I knew he was, given the excitement of leaving the primary containment facility. Had I known a sea dragon was hiding in that canyon, I might have decided on another route.
Old 02-05-2018, 09:37 AM

I'm actually kind of stuck, now.

I built a Cyclops, and I've managed to upgrade my Seamoth to the maximum depth. I've built my launch pad, but now I'm being asked for resources I can't get at the safe depths... so clearly I need to start going deeper.

Unfortunately, everything deeper is guarded by leviathans. Every time I try to go to the depths, I get attacked... and, while I've got defenses, I don't have any weapons. My Cyclops and Seamoth just become target practice, and I can't shoot back- because I haven't found any weapons blueprints.

And it's freakin' terrifying down there, too.
Old 02-05-2018, 09:43 AM
Agnatheist
Charter Member

Quote:
Originally Posted by Dr. Strangelove View Post
Hmm--didn't realize you could stuff a grow bed in the Cyclops. Still, that's a bit annoying since you still have to carry food on "dungeon" runs, and the farmed crops are big and not very nourishing.

I liked the way Empyrion handled this. As you farmed a greater variety of crops, you could cook them into a variety of long-lasting and high-calorie foods. You didn't have to do this, but it was an encouragement to build a nice farm setup. Subnautica's crafting system for food is pretty limited.
I saved the high energy food bars for my longer trips and basically had my farm on the cyclops. So, you take the cyclops to where ever it is you are wanting to explore deep then eat up and drop off in the prawn suit or seamoth with your concentrated food bars and large waters from your water reclamation machine. It can be a bit of a pain in the butt, though the food bars can take you from starving to full in one bite.

What would be nice is if you could make those instead of having to find them, but I had about 12 saved up since the start of the game so food was never a big issue while I was exploring for long periods of time in the late game.

That's what happens when you let rednecks play with anti-matter!
Old 02-05-2018, 09:46 AM
Agnatheist
Charter Member

Quote:
Originally Posted by Lightnin' View Post
I'm actually kind of stuck, now.

I built a Cyclops, and I've managed to upgrade my Seamoth to the maximum depth. I've built my launch pad, but now I'm being asked for resources I can't get at the safe depths... so clearly I need to start going deeper.

Unfortunately, everything deeper is guarded by leviathans. Every time I try to go to the depths, I get attacked... and, while I've got defenses, I don't have any weapons. My Cyclops and Seamoth just become target practice, and I can't shoot back- because I haven't found any weapons blueprints.

And it's freakin' terrifying down there, too.
I actually use the prawn suit heavily for what you are talking about. Bring it into the region you want with your cyclops then drop it off. If you have the armor upgrade it helps a lot, as well as either the punch default or drill, as it hurts the critters trying to eat you. But you can harvest and even drill right from the suit, and with the storage upgrade you can get a lot into the thing. Then just bring it back to the cyclops (which, if you have it built right has all your storage and build devices right there) and away you go after grabbing a quick snack and drink at the onboard farm.

Old 02-05-2018, 01:18 PM

If you're having leviathan problems, there's a few things you can do. First would be to build and install the sonar. Most things won't attack you until you're really close, and judicious use of the sonar can tell you where the big things are that you should stay away from. Another thing is to manage your engine speeds and sound. The aggro radius of leviathans is determined mostly by the noise you make. Run it slow if you know there's leviathans nearby, and try the silent running when they're REALLY close. Make sure to turn off silent running when you don't absolutely need it, however. It sucks a ton of juice. And don't be afraid to carry an extra set of charged power cells - there's nothing like being stuck deep with no power to get home. I had to do a run home in a Poseidon II just to charge everything up to get Titan I out of a cave.

There's not really any weapons, however. There are gas torpedoes that can eventually do some damage, but they're designed more for defensive purposes.
Old 02-11-2018, 01:57 PM

Gah!
Feline disaster!
SPOILER:
My cat killed the brave crew of the Sunbeam!
I hadnít triggered the radio so that I wouldnít start the Sunbeam countdown sequence. Iíd been taking my time, building crazy bases and very methodically mapping the world.
I parked my Cyclops on a volcano to recharge and got up to make a snack (in the real world). I must have left my guy facing at least pretty close to the radio. When I got back, I had to shoo my cat off of my mouse & keyboard, saw that the Clops was fully charged, saved the game...
Then I realized the countdown was going in the corner and there was only a few minutes left. There was no way. To get the enzyme is a ton of work and I hadnít started any of it.

After that there wasnít much suspense to the game so I pretty much plowed through to the end, though that meant I only had about 5 minutes with the cuddlefish.

I actually did something I hadnít done in a long time, probably since Diablo II- I cracked out graph paper and started mapping the world, by hand, with a pencil. Starting at the life pod as 0,0, I would travel 500 meters in one of the cardinal directions, drop a beacon, set itís name to its grid coordinates, and then continue on. As I crossed biome boundaries or found interesting things Iíd mark them down.

Realistically, 500 meters is too short, and my screen was full of beacons pretty quickly. It was a great way to find all the various wrecks.
Old 02-11-2018, 05:45 PM

Quote:
Originally Posted by buckgully View Post
After that there wasnít much suspense to the game so I pretty much plowed through to the end, though that meant I only had about 5 minutes with the cuddlefish.

I actually did something I hadnít done in a long time, probably since Diablo II- I cracked out graph paper and started mapping the world, by hand, with a pencil. Starting at the life pod as 0,0, I would travel 500 meters in one of the cardinal directions, drop a beacon, set itís name to its grid coordinates, and then continue on. As I crossed biome boundaries or found interesting things Iíd mark them down.

Realistically, 500 meters is too short, and my screen was full of beacons pretty quickly. It was a great way to find all the various wrecks.
That's far more work than I'm willing to do. I just use the various biome maps available online.
Old 02-11-2018, 09:20 PM

Quote:
Originally Posted by Chisquirrel View Post
That's far more work than I'm willing to do. I just use the various biome maps available online.
Yeah, I can see that. Doing that was very tempting, but I was really enjoying the chill experience of toodling around in the seamoth and checking everything out.

Next playthrough, though, I'm totally hitting the wiki.
Old 02-12-2018, 09:02 AM
Agnatheist
Charter Member

Well, I finished the game over the weekend. I ended up having to reload the game to get around some issues I was having getting the hatching enzymes, but I was still able to use my saved game and once I reloaded it worked as it was supposed too. I had put off finishing the rocket and launching though to just kind of explore around, but finally bit the bullet and finished. It was a pretty cool ending, though a bit sad as I've been playing this game off and on since it first came out on Steam.

I won't go into spoilers but it's worth watching all the way through the credits to the end. Also, if anyone is interested in what I put in the time capsule it was the following: 1 seamoth solar charger, 1 prawn suit depth gauge, 3 ion power cells and 1 ion battery. Hope that helps whoever finds it! I know that finding one someone else left for me was a big help (they left me a prawn suit drill and grapnel and 4 ion power cells.

Old 02-15-2018, 02:34 PM
Charter Member

I think I'm just about geared up to go to the underground river biome, having found the sonar plans last night. The one big plan that I'm missing is the cyclops shield. How much time do y'all think i should spend searching for it? I'm tempted to just forget about it and go on down to the river, but don't want to find myself miles into that biome regretting my life choices.
Old 02-15-2018, 03:13 PM

SPOILER:
You don't need the shield for the underground river. It's mostly pretty safe, especially if you use a modicum of stealth. I have the shield installed and I never used it in my travels. The only must-have as far as I'm concerned is the thermal charger.

You will need the shield eventually, though, so the search isn't a waste.
Old 02-15-2018, 05:27 PM
Charter Member

Quote:
SPOILER:
You don't need the shield for the underground river. It's mostly pretty safe, especially if you use a modicum of stealth. I have the shield installed and I never used it in my travels. The only must-have as far as I'm concerned is the thermal charger.

You will need the shield eventually, though, so the search isn't a waste.
In that case--especially if I'll plausibly make a trip back to the surface before the next part--I'll go ahead to the river.
Old 02-20-2018, 09:10 PM
Charter Member

"Need the shield generator?" I thought. "Nah, I'm good--I'll just not take the Cyclops anywhere too dangerous."

So here I am, at the very end of the game, and

GAHHHHHHHH!

Last edited by Left Hand of Dorkness; 02-20-2018 at 09:10 PM.
Old 02-20-2018, 11:17 PM

Heh. I did warn you... and even italicized "will" .
Old 02-21-2018, 08:57 AM
Agnatheist
Charter Member

Quote:
Originally Posted by Left Hand of Dorkness View Post
"Need the shield generator?" I thought. "Nah, I'm good--I'll just not take the Cyclops anywhere too dangerous."

So here I am, at the very end of the game, and

GAHHHHHHHH!
I honestly never had an issue at the entrance to the underground river. I built a base just before that first big drop off, parked the cyclops there and took the prawn suit down for my resource explorations and later to do the quest stuff.

Old 02-21-2018, 10:50 AM

Quote:
Originally Posted by Chisquirrel View Post
Save the image of the map(s) into your screenshots folder, then load it into a picture frame on your Cyclops. Boom- instant chart room.
Old 02-21-2018, 03:03 PM
Charter Member

Quote:
Heh. I did warn you... and even italicized "will" .
I have only my own fool self to blame. Tonight I set up scanner rooms everywhere.
Quote:
Originally Posted by XT View Post
I honestly never had an issue at the entrance to the underground river. I built a base just before that first big drop off, parked the cyclops there and took the prawn suit down for my resource explorations and later to do the quest stuff.
That's pretty much what I did--a tiny little base just before inactive lava zone, outside of the sight of the ghost leviathan, which I rarely used.
Old 02-21-2018, 03:07 PM
Agnatheist
Charter Member

Quote:
Originally Posted by Left Hand of Dorkness
That's pretty much what I did--a tiny little base just before inactive lava zone, outside of the sight of the ghost leviathan, which I rarely used.
I used mine extensively as it had a water processing plant, moon pool and all of the build facilities as well as locker space and a large garden. There is tons of uranium down there so I just build a nuclear plant, filled it with rods and never worried about it again.

Old 02-21-2018, 03:54 PM
Charter Member

Quote:
Originally Posted by XT View Post
I used mine extensively as it had a water processing plant, moon pool and all of the build facilities as well as locker space and a large garden. There is tons of uranium down there so I just build a nuclear plant, filled it with rods and never worried about it again.
My main base was so built up that by the time I went down there, I had nearly everything that could be built except for nickel and kyanite and sulfur crystals, plus lockers full of spare materials. The only thing I needed was a single power cell charge, and a moon pool to build the final mods. I thought of adding more, but it seemed superfluous at that point.
Old 02-21-2018, 03:58 PM
Agnatheist
Charter Member

Quote:
My main base was so built up that by the time I went down there, I had nearly everything that could be built except for nickel and kyanite and sulfur crystals, plus lockers full of spare materials. The only thing I needed was a single power cell charge, and a moon pool to build the final mods. I thought of adding more, but it seemed superfluous at that point.
On my first playthrough this was what I did, but this last time I build a bunch of smaller bases, many of which were just a scanner room and some kind of power. The base I built to really explore the lost river system was probably my most extensive, even if it was just a couple of rooms. The cyclops was probably my main base in this game, as it had everything...plus I could move it around. The only thing I wish it has was a resource scanner, but then if they gave us that I wouldn't have built anything but the sub after the first base.

Old 02-21-2018, 08:18 PM
Charter Member

Yeah, my main base wasn't practical. But it was fun. I spent a board meeting sketching out floor plans .

After looking around for a good 45 minutes, and because life's too short, I finally gave up and looked up the coordinates of the stupid wreck with the stupid data box with the stupid plans for the stupid shield generator. Now everything is prepped to build the cockpit; I saved the game and will play through the last five minutes tomorrow afternoon, so my daughter can watch the end per her request.
Old 02-22-2018, 06:10 PM
Charter Member

All right, just finished it. That's the best damn ending of a game I've played in a really long time, maybe since Planescape:Torment. And yeah, stay to the end of the credits .
Old 02-24-2018, 07:45 PM
Charter Member

So I'm stuck earlier.

SPOILER:
I've found the Degrassi underwater biome (jellyshroom cave), all of the lifepods that have sent signals, explored the Aurora except for a couple of coded rooms I couldn't get in, and explored the alien base on the Mountain island. I've got a Cyclops, Seamoth, Base, and a PRAWN suit.

But I appear to have run out of (or more likely missed the latest of) the "pointers" to the next thing to do. I assume I need to go deeper (one of the Degrassi PDA logs said so), but I have no idea where. I've been resource-gathering for ages and have most of the depth modules (not the ones for the cyclops).
Old 02-24-2018, 08:38 PM
Charter Member

Quote:
Originally Posted by TimeWinder View Post
So I'm stuck earlier.

SPOILER:
I've found the Degrassi underwater biome (jellyshroom cave), all of the lifepods that have sent signals, explored the Aurora except for a couple of coded rooms I couldn't get in, and explored the alien base on the Mountain island. I've got a Cyclops, Seamoth, Base, and a PRAWN suit.

But I appear to have run out of (or more likely missed the latest of) the "pointers" to the next thing to do. I assume I need to go deeper (one of the Degrassi PDA logs said so), but I have no idea where. I've been resource-gathering for ages and have most of the depth modules (not the ones for the cyclops).
I'm not gonna spoiler things, since anyone who's read this far in the thread should know what they're in for.

At various places in the deep dark, there are entrances to an underground "river" of green glowy acid. Look down amidst the blood vines. I took a few beacons in the seamoth and toodled around until I found them; ended up finding two different places, and using the one that allowed easier access for the cyclops.
Old 02-25-2018, 06:25 PM
Agnatheist
Charter Member

Quote:
I'm not gonna spoiler things, since anyone who's read this far in the thread should know what they're in for.

At various places in the deep dark, there are entrances to an underground "river" of green glowy acid. Look down amidst the blood vines. I took a few beacons in the seamoth and toodled around until I found them; ended up finding two different places, and using the one that allowed easier access for the cyclops.
Yeah, exactly. Basically the next stage is exploration of the lost river system. There is a pod near one of the entrances...I don't recall what the pod number is but it's one that's pretty deep and near a lot of the blood oil plant thingies. You will see a cave mouth and what looks like a series of waterfalls (which is really cool under the ocean), and if you follow those you'll find a lot. You will definitely need that prawn suit with a maxed out pressure compensator, and you'll want to have your drill arm and grapple attachment as well (I'd also recommend the thermal generator and increased armor, as well as the larger suit storage, but you'll have to swap things in and out to make the most of all of that).

Old 02-25-2018, 07:43 PM
Charter Member

Yep, I got myself down there last night, which triggered (I assume) the radio call to go to the captain's quarters on the Aurora, so I'm unblocked (although it looks like I need a lot more upgrades on my equipment). Thanks, everybody!
Old 04-09-2018, 07:23 AM

I'm considering buying this game for myself and for my son, but I haven't decided whether to get it for my Xbox One or PC. Amnyone have any recommendations?

And also, do both versions allow multiple saves?
Old 04-09-2018, 07:32 AM
Charter Member

Quote:
Originally Posted by Alessan View Post
I'm considering buying this game for myself and for my son, but I haven't decided whether to get it for my Xbox One or PC. Amnyone have any recommendations?

If you buy it on PC, you can wait for a sale on Steam and get it cheap . Unlike many other games, this one was developed native to PC, so the controls work very well and intuitively. Beyond that, I have no experience with the Xbox version, so I can't compare them.
Old 04-09-2018, 08:42 AM

Normally, I would wait for a sale myself, but the kid wants it now. How demanding is it, graphically? And does the PC version allow multiple saves?

Last edited by Alessan; 04-09-2018 at 08:42 AM.
Old 04-09-2018, 09:09 AM

It can be demanding if you put the settings to high. I've played it on a GTX970 and GTX1060-3GB on 1440p: the fans will need to kick in, no doubt. But it can run a 9y old 27" iMac (720p, HD4850) on low settings as well.

You can have multiple saves, just a shame you can not name them - at least not that I have found.

My son plays creative and me on survival.
Old 04-09-2018, 02:51 PM

Quote:
Normally, I would wait for a sale myself, but the kid wants it now. How demanding is it, graphically? And does the PC version allow multiple saves?
Here are the requirements. If you go to that site you can download a tool that will assess your PC and let you know if it has the juice to run the game.

If your PC is on the weak side for gaming then just get the XBox version.

Quote:
Here are the Subnautica system requirements (minimum)

CPU: Info
CPU SPEED: Intel Haswell 2 cores / 4 threads @ 2.5Ghz or equivalent
RAM: 4 GB
VIDEO CARD: Intel HD 4600 or equivalent
FREE DISK SPACE: 6 GB

Subnautica Recommended Requirements

CPU: Info
CPU SPEED: Intel Haswell 4 cores / 4 threads @ 3.2Ghz or equivalent
RAM: 8 GB
VIDEO CARD: Nvidia GTX 550 ti or equivalent
FREE DISK SPACE: 6 GB

SOURCE: https://www.systemrequirementslab.co...bnautica/12571
Old 04-09-2018, 04:22 PM
Agnatheist
Charter Member

Quote:

One advantage (maybe) of the PC version over the console version is there are actually a few mods that have come out for the game (I haven't used any, but you might want too), so if you are into modding that might sway you towards the PC version.

Let us know what you think if you decide to get the game. If you run into any issues or can't seem to move forward feel free to ask...I know several people in this thread have completed the game and have been willing to help out players who are hitting a roadblock or two.

Old 01-30-2019, 05:58 PM

Decided to revive this thread for the Subnautica: Below Zero, a standalone expansion they're working on and just put in early access.
Old 01-30-2019, 07:49 PM
Friend of Cecil
Charter Member

That looks good.
Old 01-31-2019, 05:33 AM

I'm tempted to get it as the first one had a really great atmosphere and gameplay. It was not perfect by any means, but it wasn't premium price either.

Maybe I'll work on my backlog a bit first so they can work on the launch bugs.
Old 01-31-2019, 08:55 AM

I downloaded the new game last night, and I'm just about to start it up. I was going to wait for the game to go out of Early Access, but I'm in the mood for a new game right now.
Old 01-31-2019, 03:18 PM

I picked Subnautica up when Epic was running the free deal for it. I played it a bunch in December, but have been too busy to play it much this month.

I do have a question, and feel free to spoiler box the answers, but what would be the best place to build my first actual expansion base (which I plan to make my main base)? I've been relying on my Safe Shallows base which is getting to the point where I dont' want to upgrade it anymore, because it's not really near anywhere I need to go. This is my current game status:

SPOILER:
I have explored all the escape pods by now (may still have one left if it's really deep, but I think I got them all), and two of the degassi bases. I have fully explored the island with the giant gun that shoots everything. (Did that part when all I had was the Seaglide). I have fully explored the crashed ship. I believe I have found all the shallower wrecks. I have a Seamoth, Prawn Suit, and a Cyclops. My Safe Shallows base has a Moon Pool with a Vehicle upgrade station, a metric ton of lockers, a bioenergy generator combined with solar panels for power, a battery recharger, a desalinator, a small indoor farm, and probably something else I'm forgetting. It's right next to my pod which I use for the radio, fabricator, and unlimited medkits. I have the second depth upgrade for the seamoth, and I believe the first for the Cyclops and Prawn (not sure, and don't have the ability to fire the game up right now). I'm basically at the point where I need to hit the deep areas to continue.

Thanks.
Old 01-31-2019, 03:28 PM

Quote:
Originally Posted by Hoopy Frood View Post
I picked Subnautica up when Epic was running the free deal for it. I played it a bunch in December, but have been too busy to play it much this month.
Wow... Are you me?

Thatís exactly my situation. Itís a fun game but I just havenít had time to play it lately. I do love the way fighting is something you avoid as much as you can. I just ainít got no time...
Old 01-31-2019, 06:14 PM
Charter Member

Quote:
Originally Posted by Hoopy Frood View Post

I do have a question, and feel free to spoiler box the answers, but what would be the best place to build my first actual expansion base (which I plan to make my main base)? I've been relying on my Safe Shallows base which is getting to the point where I dont' want to upgrade it anymore, because it's not really near anywhere I need to go. This is my current game status:
[snip]
Thanks.
This game is best when it isn't spoiled, so all I'm going to say is that the lifepods are positioned in ways intended to make you stumble onto interesting things. Picking one that seems in an interestingly different region and putting a base nearby wouldn't be amiss.

Last edited by Gorsnak; 01-31-2019 at 06:14 PM.
Old 01-31-2019, 06:27 PM

I picked this up for PS4 a wee while ago. Unfortunately I’ve had two false starts. It seems there is a save glitch and every time I quite I lose my saved game. Quite frustrating.
Old 02-01-2019, 08:40 AM

Quote:
Originally Posted by And his buzzer goes ... View Post
I'm tempted to get it as the first one had a really great atmosphere and gameplay. It was not perfect by any means, but it wasn't premium price either.
I think it's actually pretty close to perfect. Which isn't to say it's the best game of all time or anything, but what it sets out to do it does so well. There are almost no things about the game I would change, few nits to pick. It strikes just the right balance between exploration, gathering, crafting, etc.

It never makes you grind for anything - sure, you need to gather pieces, but it never feels like you're sitting there grinding pieces in the way that other survival games do. It comes naturally with exploration. The scenery is fantastic, the creatures are unique and interesting, it mixes wonder and terror well. The story is good and it moves you along at your own pace in a really organic way. It's not punishing for mistakes - like if you construct your base the wrong way you can just de-construct it and redo it with no penalty. I guess, if anything, with the lack of real death penalty and ease of undoing stuff, it might not be punishing enough. But the game manages to generate terror organically through fear of dark scary sea places rather than through threat of a death punishment. The balance between swimming/seaglide/seamoth/cyclops/prawn suit is just right. The progression feels right.

I just got it for free from the epic promo and started playing a few weeks ago, and it's been a while since I've played a single player game this much.

Last edited by SenorBeef; 02-01-2019 at 08:42 AM.
Old 02-02-2019, 10:47 PM

I just started playing the original, which I got on Epic Launcher when it was free a bit back.

Oh my God, this game is amazing! The last game I got this immersed in was Witcher 3.
Old 02-05-2019, 12:47 AM

Ok, as good as I thought this game was, it's even better. Holy crap! Spoilering my whole post because you really need to play through this game the first time as unspoiled as possible.

SPOILER:

Every time I discover a new no one I am seriously blown away. When I was starting out and first exploring the kelp forest, I was terrified. I don't know why, but I have always found kelp forests kinda creepy, and in this game with the orange glow offsetting the dim green lights... it was terrifying.

And then I got to the red grass seas, and the majestic feedbacks that gently soar overhead combined with the immense sense of scale that this place gives you, despite being only a few hundred meters across -- outstanding.

And then things started getting weird -- or so I thought at the time. The mushroom forests, with their dense alien outcroppings and dense schools of fish - this is the first time that I truly felt like I was on an alien world rather than the tropics with a twist.

But I needed diamonds to make a laser cutter, so deeper I went, all the way past the roots of the mushrooms and into a truly alien world in perpetual near-darkness punctuated by massive globes composed of thousands of tiny neon blue lights. And in this dark abyss the first predator to truly scare me -- the bone shark -- prowled.

I haven't been deeper yet, though I'm excited to do so soon. I just got back from the floating island and I have some advanced base upgrades to deploy! Finally, real rooms, not a base of hallways!

On the way back from the floating island, I happened to glance down and see a massive field of glowing blue alien spheres, held in place by what looks like cables. I nope'd right out of there. I'll be back MUCH later :P
Old 02-05-2019, 10:38 AM
Charter Member

So so good.

Senorbeef, if I could change one thing, I'd add an automap feature that let you track where you'd already been. This is a very minor spoiler, but I'll spoiler it anyway:

SPOILER:
Near the end of the game, there was a random upgrade that you 100% need the plans for in order to complete the game. I had never stumbled across it in my normal exploration phase, and by the time I realized it was essential, I'd forgotten where I'd already been. I spent about two hours retracing areas where I'd already been and trying to leave enough buoys floating around that I could "map" my explored areas--to no avail. Finally I resorted to a Wiki to find where that random upgrade could randomly appear.

An automap would be 100% in keeping with the game's aesthetic, and could be something as simple as a grid that shows your location and cubes that appear once you enter an area; too much detail would make it harder to use. Maybe the cubes could be yellow as soon as you first enter them, and blue once you've thoroughly traveled through them, or something like that.
Old 02-05-2019, 10:48 AM

I also picked this up for free from the Epic Games giveaway, and have been enjoying the hell out of it.
I think I'm near the end of the game, but I've thought that a few times before, so who knows? At least I've been at depths that required the highest depth upgrade for my equipment.

LHOD, I concur. At least add some kind of pathfinding for where you've been in the various pieces of equipment - if currently existing submarines have highly accurate inertial tracking systems, shouldn't future subs have them too?
Old 02-05-2019, 01:15 PM

Quote:
Originally Posted by muldoonthief View Post
LHOD, I concur. At least add some kind of pathfinding for where you've been in the various pieces of equipment - if currently existing submarines have highly accurate inertial tracking systems, shouldn't future subs have them too?
Eventually you learn the blueprint for a wall image device- you can take a screenshot and then set that as the image it displays. It's primarily designed for decoration.

Well, what I (and others) did was grab a good map of the game, including resources found in those areas) and set that as the image it displays. I put that in my Cyclops, so I knew roughly where to go for any particular resource.

I agree, though- an actual inertial map would make a lot of sense.
Old 02-05-2019, 01:41 PM

Quote:
Originally Posted by Lightnin' View Post
Eventually you learn the blueprint for a wall image device- you can take a screenshot and then set that as the image it displays. It's primarily designed for decoration.

Well, what I (and others) did was grab a good map of the game, including resources found in those areas) and set that as the image it displays. I put that in my Cyclops, so I knew roughly where to go for any particular resource.

I agree, though- an actual inertial map would make a lot of sense.
That sounds much better than the shot of a reaper eating my seamoth that I currently have in my picture frame.
Old 02-05-2019, 02:06 PM

If you're on PC there's a map mod that even contains a fog of war.

I haven't installed it, though.
Old 02-05-2019, 02:30 PM
Charter Member

I haven't loaded it yet, but I immediately bought the early access for the new expansion. I enjoyed Subnautica enough that there wasn't any question whether or not I'd be getting it.

The news about the expansion came at a good time for me. I've been tempted to go back into the game lately, despite having finished it, just to mess around with my base. It was already thoroughly self-sufficient and stocked with absurd amounts of supplies, though, so I don't know what I'd really do with it. (I'm very much inclined to build, consolidate, and overprepare before progressing in survival games.) Aside from "stunt" base-building, I think I've pretty much done everything I could do.
Old 02-05-2019, 02:46 PM

Man, if they put out a game like this every few years, mixing up the genre and story and occasionally revamping some mechanic or radically changing the story every so often, they could have a very successful franchise on their hands.