Old 01-01-2019, 12:13 PM
Charter Member

NHL January 2019

Ugh, completely forgot that NBC has the rights to Notre Dame football and that’s where the Winter Classic is being held.

NBC doesn’t even try to hide their bias, fuck Notre Dame. How about showing same damn hockey?
Old 01-01-2019, 12:20 PM

I got up in time for face-off; I've now fulfilled all my personal commitments for the day. The year is off to a great start!
Old 01-01-2019, 01:01 PM

Excellent 1st period! The field looks amazing; the ice looks great and there's a possibility of snow!

Last edited by Snowboarder Bo; 01-01-2019 at 01:02 PM.
Old 01-01-2019, 02:52 PM
Charter Member

Can someone tell me what Bettman was trying to say in his remarks about the "Jim Lites Blasts Stars Stars" froofraw? I could not figure out what his point was. Anyone?
Old 01-01-2019, 03:08 PM

Fantastic 3rd period, although I always wonder "hmmmm?" when a team seems to deliberately not set up their offense for 20 minutes.

Overall a good hockey game tho.

Last edited by Snowboarder Bo; 01-01-2019 at 03:08 PM.
Old 01-01-2019, 05:04 PM

Quote:
Originally Posted by Snowboarder Bo View Post
Fantastic 3rd period, although I always wonder "hmmmm?" when a team seems to deliberately not set up their offense for 20 minutes.
Apparently you've been watching the third period of Blue Jackets' games.
Old 01-01-2019, 10:31 PM

Knights' year is off to a great start too!
Old 01-03-2019, 05:46 PM

Holy crikes the Canadian juniors lose to Finland in Vancouver today, and become the first Canadian team to not win a medal when hosting the tournament, and second time in 20 years that won't even play for a medal.
Old 01-03-2019, 06:07 PM

Pens are on a 7th game winning streak!!! Bryan Rust was only out one game, and Kris Letang is on the "Last Man In" ballot for the All-Stars.

Quote:
Originally Posted by kayT View Post
Can someone tell me what Bettman was trying to say in his remarks about the "Jim Lites Blasts Stars Stars" froofraw? I could not figure out what his point was. Anyone?
It's Bettman. He never has a point, other than ruining hockey.
Old 01-03-2019, 07:13 PM

Quote:
Originally Posted by Guinastasia View Post
Pens are on a 7th game winning streak!!! Bryan Rust was only out one game, and Kris Letang is on the "Last Man In" ballot for the All-Stars.
I was watching the Penguins beat the Rangers last night. They dominated.
Old 01-04-2019, 09:02 PM

Make it 8 games and a shut-out for Murray!

Crosby gives spectacular memento to Rangers fan heckling Penguins center

I just hope for his sake other people aren't going to try and see if they can't chirp their way to a signed stick. (Or try it with other players) Dude may have created a monster!
Old 01-04-2019, 09:41 PM

Quote:
Make it 8 games and a shut-out for Murray!

Crosby gives spectacular memento to Rangers fan heckling Penguins center

I just hope for his sake other people aren't going to try and see if they can't chirp their way to a signed stick. (Or try it with other players) Dude may have created a monster!
I gotta admit that was a very classy thing that Crosby did and I'm pleased as punch that the Rangers fans all took it the right way! Hockey, hockey players and hockey fans totally fucking rock!

Last edited by Snowboarder Bo; 01-04-2019 at 09:41 PM.
Old 01-05-2019, 07:05 PM

Kinda too bad the Knights had to send Reaves down when he's scored six in his last seven.
Can't remember the reason now.
Old 01-05-2019, 10:11 PM

Canucks goalless in last two and Pettersson's injured; if Markstrom hadn't been playing the best five weeks of his career Vancouver would be at rock bottom of the division, and speaking of that, it seems that cellar dwellers Philadelphia will never ever ever ever ever get a goaltender. Ever.
Doubtful if either team'll even be wild-cards. Fans like myself have to bear this out with a more...philosophical? take on things.
Old 01-06-2019, 11:35 PM

I HATE NBC so much. Tonight the Pens were having a special pre-game ceremony, honoring the members of the team that won the Cup in 2009.

Instead, those of us at home had to listen to Mike Milbury and Pierre McGuirre blabbing on and on. Nor did they show the video tributes from those who couldn't make it. (Max Talbot, Marc-Andre Fleury, Brooks Orpik, etc)

Fuck you, NBC. You suck.
Old 01-07-2019, 03:16 PM

Well I had a good hockey day yesterday: all my teams won!

Not only did the Knights win, the Blackhawks won and my (new!) Elmira Enforcers finally won an OT game! That's a Good Hockey Day™!

Last edited by Snowboarder Bo; 01-07-2019 at 03:20 PM.
Old 01-07-2019, 03:56 PM
Charter Member

OMG the Blackhawks won?? I gave up watching after they gave up 2 goals in whatever it was, 20 seconds into the game it seemed like. Sorry I missed the comeback (or the Pens collapse?).
Old 01-08-2019, 06:27 PM

P.K. Subban totally fucking rocks.
Quote:
The defenseman recorded a video and texted it to Ty Cornett, a 13-year-old Detroit-area hockey player last week.

His father, Matthew Cornett, shared the video , which was recorded in Detroit during the Predators’ visit to the city last week, on Reddit.

“I can tell you this right now that as long as you’re still breathing in this world, you’ve got to believe in yourself and let nobody tell you what you can and can’t do, especially if it’s because of the color of your skin,” said Subban, who is black and was born in Toronto and previously starred with the Montreal Canadiens.

“In this world, some things happen that we don’t really understand. That’s OK. We don’t have to understand them. All we need to do is understand ourselves, believe in ourselves keep trying and keep pushing forward.

“I just want to tell you that when you’re playing hockey, you play because you love the game and you want to play. Let nobody take that away from you.”
From the father's description of what his son has had to endure this season, I'm glad I wasn't at any of his games, because I likely might have been arrested and gone to jail.
Quote:
“This year has been tough,” he wrote. “My son is very aggressive and loud, so that brings out the trash talk. I have no problem with trash talking at all (part of the sport), but the racist talk needs to stop. Between the N-word being thrown at him over and over, being called monkey by players and parents, having an entire team beat their chests and act like gorillas whenever he touched the puck.

“This video meant more to my family than anything. I think my son has watched it over 500 times (no joke).”
Video at this link.

Good on you, P.K. And good on your parents for raising two talented, good-hearted people.

And holy cow good on Mr. & Mrs. Cornett for being freaking amazing humans! Alla y'all totally fucking rock!

Last edited by Snowboarder Bo; 01-08-2019 at 06:29 PM.
Old 01-08-2019, 07:24 PM
Charter Member

Thanks for posting this, Snowboarder Bo. I've always really liked PK and now I can admire him even more.
Old 01-09-2019, 01:40 PM

The new coaches are kicking ass.

-------

Quote:
Originally Posted by kayT View Post
Thanks for posting this, Snowboarder Bo. I've always really liked PK and now I can admire him even more.
You're welcome! Like I said: hockey, hockey players and hockey fans totally fucking rock. Obviously not all of us, but hey, we're working on it.
Old 01-09-2019, 02:11 PM

Fuck Fuck Fuck....My Blues need a total rebuild from The GM on down...

Ryan O'Riley seems to be the only player consistently giving 100%

Jake allen couldn't stop a beach ball...

FUCK
Old 01-10-2019, 11:02 AM

In addition to the Blue Jackets' inability to beat good teams, they're apparently now dealing with a prima donna goaltender.

https://www.dispatch.com/sports/2019...after-incident

(in case the above link is subscriber-only, it basically says that Sergei Bobrovsky won't play tonight because of an unspecified "incident" that violates team "culture"). He has reportedly felt dissed by management, which needs to sign him to a new contract this year or he'll become a free agent.

Columbus has had at best mixed results with Russian-born players. That includes first-round draft picks who were disappointments (Nikita Filatov, Nikolai Zherdev), excellent players who can't wait to get out of Columbus (Artemi Panarin) and now Bobrovsky, a (usually) terrific regular season goaltender who flames out in the playoffs and is now having a tantrum for unknown reasons.

Last edited by Jackmannii; 01-10-2019 at 11:02 AM.
Old 01-10-2019, 10:02 PM

I just saw the 2019 All-Star jerseys.

I like the attention-to-a-cause part but the jerseys look like ass. Not including the All-Star logo at all is the opposite of smart branding and the monochrome look gets old in about 3 seconds.
Old 01-11-2019, 01:28 AM

Quote:
I just saw the 2019 All-Star jerseys.

I like the attention-to-a-cause part but the jerseys look like ass. Not including the All-Star logo at all is the opposite of smart branding and the monochrome look gets old in about 3 seconds.
The All-Star jerseys always look like ass -- why are you surprised?
Old 01-11-2019, 12:04 PM

I disagree; there have been lots of cool NHL All-Star jerseys.

But did you see the good news? I've been wondering for at least 12 years why they hadn't done this already:
Quote:
The NHL for the first time has tested real-time puck and player tracking in regular-season games and intends to have it in place across the league next season.

Microchips were added to players’ shoulder pads and fitted inside specially designed pucks for two Vegas Golden Knights home games this week, against the New York Rangers and the San Jose Sharks. Antennas around the arena tracked the players and the puck through radio frequencies and relayed the data to a suite where league and Players’ Association executives and representatives from 20 teams and various technology firms, sports betting companies and TV rights holders were watching.
21st century hockey totally fucking rocks!

Last edited by Snowboarder Bo; 01-11-2019 at 12:04 PM. Reason: fixed coding
Old 01-11-2019, 02:18 PM

All this technology and yet every time there's an offsides challenge they go to some crappy video with a poor frame rate, angle, and resolution that makes the Zapruder film look like it was shot in 4K.
Old 01-15-2019, 06:21 PM

Brooks Orpik played in his 1,000 NHL game Monday.
Old 01-15-2019, 06:34 PM

Wow! 17 years in the NHL, an 18 year professional career that includes at least 2 Stanley Cups. A college championship back in 2001 as well. The guy is not only a proverbial workhorse, he's a ddamned good one at that.

Congrats Mr. Orpik on a spectacular career and may the rest of it be all that too.
Old 01-16-2019, 07:24 AM

Naturally, as soon as I comment that the Blue Jackets can't beat the good teams, they knock off the Predators and Capitals as part of a win streak that has them (for a day, anyway) on top of the Metro division, and their backup goalie is hot.*

*which means he'll probably get hurt, making Bobrovsky trade rumors moot for now.
Old 01-20-2019, 01:35 AM

woot
Old 01-20-2019, 12:45 PM

Well that sucked -- we totally should've had Murray in, not DeSmith.

(It's so hard to hear "Fleury saves!" -- I keep wanting to cheer. Dammit)
Old 01-21-2019, 02:48 PM

It's very strange seeing the Islanders ahead of the Caps and Pens, and even the Leafs with Tavares. I know it won't last, but it's fun for now! They went from most goals against (by far) to least in one year with basically no change in defensive players. Trotz should definitely win Coach of the Year.

Last edited by RitterSport; 01-21-2019 at 02:48 PM.
Old 01-22-2019, 03:52 PM

You aren't the only person who's starting to make that case:
Quote:
After delivering the Capitals’ first championship in franchise history, Trotz is well on his way to changing the culture in his first season as Islanders coach and bringing that proud organization back to prominence. By implementing the same discipline off the ice and structure on the ice he did in Washington, Trotz has the Islanders in first place in their division past the halfway mark of the NHL season for just the second time in the past 28 years.

“It feels very similar to the first year (in Washington),” Trotz said. “We were building something. We started with the structure and trying to make every moment count, the accountability, how we play, professionalism — all those things that make a pro athlete on and off the ice. We try to involve that with our organization as we did here. They’ve carried it on to the Stanley Cup, and we’re in the infancy stages.”
Modest to a fault and not eager to accept praise, Trotz considers the Islanders a “work in progress.”
Still, this infant has legs:
Quote:
They have won five in a row and 12 of 14. Their goalies lead the league with a .920 save percentage after ranking 28th last season. They have allowed the fewest goals a game in the league after being the worst in that category last season.

All this after point-a-game center John Tavares left in free agency to sign with his hometown Toronto Maple Leafs. The Islanders were expected to struggle, to say the least.

Instead, they’ve thrived.

“I think a lot of guys took it as a little bit of an insult when we were starting to get ranked to be the worst team in the league after he left,” fourth-line winger Matt Martin said. ”(Trotz) gets the best out of everybody. ... He gives everybody the role and responsibilities, everyone’s playing similar minutes every night, getting a real good opportunity to play. As a player, when you’re getting those opportunities and you feel emotionally invested, you feel involved.”
It's a very good article and I think makes an excellent case for Coach Trotz to get CotY.
Old 01-22-2019, 05:31 PM

That's great stuff. Thanks for posting it!

I remember reading an article during the pre-season that they were "obviously" throwing the season by bringing in all those veterans (Komorov, Filpula, and so on) on one-year contracts. Man, was that wrong. Their up-and-comers look pretty good, too -- Wahlstrom, currently playing for Boston College, is apparently doing great.

I really hope they can keep it going after the break!
Old 01-23-2019, 07:03 AM
Friend of Cecil
Charter Member

The Oilers fire Chiarelli. Not too surprising when you see what Edmonton has done over his tenure, granted it does seem that the franchise is jinxed.

I'm still not sure how Chiarelli got the job. I know he was in Boston, but did he actually build that team or inherit them? After giving away Seguin to the Stars in Boston, Chiarelli did give away Eberle to the Islanders.... two terrible moves by any GM.

Last edited by Ike Witt; 01-23-2019 at 07:03 AM.
Old 01-24-2019, 08:24 PM

*squee* My local history museum just opened up an entire wing devoted to hockey in Pittsburgh! I've seen some of the stuff from the Pens they had when I've went before, but now they have an entire exhibit for hockey.

(As soon as my sciatica gets better, I am so there!)
Old 01-24-2019, 08:28 PM

That's cool Guin; it looks like they do have one helluva collection.
Old 01-26-2019, 12:23 PM

Big, huge, enormous congratulations to Kendall Coyne Schofield for her worthy participation in the 2019 NHL All-Star Skils Competition! A hearty thank you to the NHL for making this happen, too! Good job, everyone!

Another excellent skills competition, if a little dry IMO. As such, I'm especially intrigued by the last item on this list of 10 proposed skill events:
Quote:
The 100-on-3 challenge

The NHL prides itself on trying to get children into hockey through participation.

So ... are you familiar with the 100-on-3 challenge? Because that's a heckuva way to get kids on the ice:
Here's the original (soccer) event. And here's one that extends the difficulty by including comedian and talk-show host James Corden coaching the 100 kids.

I would gleefully endorse this event at any and all future NHL ALL-Star weekends.
Old 01-26-2019, 07:13 PM

Holy SHIT, the woman who sang the "Star Spangled Banner" fucking SUCKED. Who the hell chose her?

Why do singers insist on turning anthems into feats of vocal gymnastics?
Old 01-26-2019, 09:21 PM
Charter Member

You got that right, Guinastasia. The games have been fun though. It's not exactly hockey but it is fun to watch.
Old 01-27-2019, 02:01 AM

Hockey totally fucking rocks!

Brianna Decker is getting paid after all.
Quote:
Decker, a U.S. women's national team hockey player, demonstrated the premier passing drill at the NHL All-Star skills event on Friday night. She appeared to record a time of 1 minute, 6 seconds in the demo, which beat the eight NHL player participants, including winner Leon Draisaitl (1:09). The winner of the event was to receive $25,000, and that prize went to Draisaitl -- which upset many fans.

On Saturday, the hockey manufacturing company CCM decided to pay Decker itself. In a tweet posted Saturday afternoon, CCM announced that it would give Decker $25,000.
We're gonna #PayDecker. pic.twitter.com/TbWSD7NAQP

— CCM Hockey (@CCMHockey) January 26, 2019
An NHL spokesperson declined comment.
Quote:
There was some confusion about when exactly the clock started for Decker's demo, but it is noteworthy that six of the other NHL participants -- Thomas Chabot, Roman Josi, Erik Karlsson, Ryan O'Reilly, Mikko Rantanen and Keith Yandle -- took longer than 1:25 to complete the drill.

When asked about Decker's time after the competition, Draisaitl, the German-born Edmonton Oilers forward, said: "She beat me. Wow. That is impressive. That's really impressive. Good for her."

Decker, 27, plays for the Calgary Inferno of the CWHL. A University of Wisconsin alumna, she is the 2012 Patty Kazmaier Award winner as the top college hockey player in the country.
Good for CCM! And congratulations to Miss Decker! Good job, everyone!
Old 01-27-2019, 09:45 PM

Good on the NHL to rainbow the bluelines.

Saw an early 90s allstar game on acid to see if the slowness would mess me up, and yes there was asploding. Sure, a hard shot, but an unhelmeted Al Iafrate created problems for me.
Old 01-29-2019, 06:08 PM

Can only imagine the happy-dance Leaffan's doing right now with the acquisition of (sorely-needed) (and very good) defenseman Jake Muzzin.
Old 01-31-2019, 06:49 AM

Pierre McGuire is a fucking creep. That is all.
Old 01-31-2019, 11:22 AM

Quote:
Pierre McGuire is a fucking creep. That is all.
Yeah, I saw that too: the guy was insecure, patronizing, bully-ish, and a total asshole.
Old 01-31-2019, 05:32 PM

Coyne Schofield defends McGuire after awkward interaction:
Quote:
In a statement posted to her Twitter account, Coyne Schofield said she has known McGuire for years and she knows he respects her “as a hockey player, a woman and a friend” and she didn’t think twice about the situation when it happened. After watching the segment on video, Coyne Schofield said, she understands why people would think it was inappropriate and would have been offended if she saw a man say that to a female athlete.

“While I wish it came out differently, I know Pierre doesn’t question my hockey knowledge,” she wrote.

Coyne Schofield also said she knows McGuire was excited for her.

“What IS important is for every young girl reading this to know it doesn’t matter what anyone thinks of my hockey knowledge — because I do not doubt my hockey knowledge,” she wrote.
I think her use of "as a woman" should have been "as a person". I don't respect people because they're women; I respect women because they're people.

McGuire made a statement as well:
Quote:
In a statement provided by NBC Sports to The Associated Press, McGuire said: “We were all thrilled to have her join our coverage last night, but at times my excitement got the better of me and I should have chosen my words better. I have the utmost respect for Kendall as a world-class player, analyst of the game and role model.”
Anyway, I'll try and remember that this was apparently McGuire acting like a dipshit, not just being a dipshit and hope that he manages to choose better words in the future.
Old 02-05-2019, 09:34 AM

Quote:
...hope that he manages to choose better words in the future.
I wouldn't put money on that - PM has always been a blustery twatwaffle.

The impossible might be happening in Philadelphia, with the prospect of something called actual goaltending in the making, thanks to 20 year-old rookie sensation Carter Hart, who's become only the sixth goalie to record a personal seven-game win streak before his 21st birthday (the last to do that was that 'fluky bum' Carey Price, 11 seasons ago). Not sure though if I should still hold out for them for a wild card spot.

Last edited by Guest-starring: Id!; 02-05-2019 at 09:35 AM.