Old 07-03-2019, 03:19 PM
Charter Member

So it's too hot for a July minirants thread?

Too bad, because I need a place to vent, and it's too ridiculous for the workplace rants thread.

I've been in need of a new work computer since November 2018. I was promised a new computer in January of this year...unfortunately, the order for my computer was added on to an existing IT ticket for another computer request, so once the first request was fulfilled the entire ticket was closed without sending my new computer. Fast forward to June, when my department manager realizes why I never received my computer. He submits a new request to IT, and assures me the computer will be in-house by July.

And indeed it was! Except this wasn't a small form factor tower like the other engineering computers; this was a tiny, underpowered box smaller than a binder. Yeah, it looks great on my desk, but it hits 100% CPU usage with four PDFs, two spreadsheets, and a handful of browser tabs (in Internet Explorer!). IT insists I have no need for an engineering computer, although the last time I checked, both my job title and my degree say Mechanical Engineer...go figure. I've had to beg to get critical order processing software installed, and they closed my request for Acrobat Pro because "it needs a license." Well, I need to put watermarks on documents and crop pages, so fuck you. (If you're not familiar with the steaming pile of shit that is Acrobat DC, these activities are now considered to be "editing a PDF," which can only be performed with the Pro version.)

I did manage to scavenge parts to get the old computer into working condition, but it still has issues. Until my supervisor and manager can get this shit sorted out (my supervisor told me today that it's going to take a few weeks), I'm stuck using two craptastic computers in an attempt to do my damn job. At least I did score two new monitors.
Old 07-03-2019, 03:56 PM
Charter Member

See, JP, your work problem is way worse than mine, so it made a better start to the thread. Thanks!

Today a lady at work brought me a fax. It was addressed to someone who used to work here and she wanted to know if I would forward it to him. I glanced at it and saw it was one of those "I am a lawyer from another country, will you partner with me to claim nine million dollars left by a dead guy who has your same last name" things. I told the lady, "No, this is a scam", and she said, "I know, but I didn't want to throw it away because it didn't belong to me."
Old 07-03-2019, 04:47 PM
Charter Member

Heh. Speaking of scams, corporate has to send out an email every few weeks to remind employees that the company president will NOT contact you from a secret meeting with an urgent request for you to immediately purchase a bunch of gift cards. This has apparently become such a problem company-wide that an email scam module was added to the mandatory safety training.
Old 07-03-2019, 05:03 PM

Quote:
Originally Posted by Jeep's Phoenix View Post
I've been in need of a new work computer since November 2018. I was promised a new computer in January of this year...
Are they trying to tell you something?

A few years ago I was working for a certain company, and my work laptop died. When I asked my manager for a new one, he said that I wouldn't be needing one, and I should just read my email on one of the lab computers for the next few weeks.

So I started getting my resume up to date. Sure enough 2 weeks later the layoffs were announced.
Old 07-03-2019, 09:59 PM

My Beloved Butthead retired last year. He got bored very quickly and knew that I would be working for a while longer, so bought a big ass RV so he could transport rescue critters from the backwards state of TX to the enlightened states like Maine that requires pet owners to have their pet be fixed.

Great! He's got a hobby, will be active and help the cause. Of course, having the thing retro-fitted for animal transport instead of humans took some time. He got it back today, and its wonderful! Just what we wanted. So, all he had to do was put the license plates on it and load up.

This was the first time we had looked at the totally not custom plates that were delivered with the RV which was bought to be driven by some old bald guy across state lines while carrying puppies and kittens. Wanna know what they say?

No eating or drinking while scrolling!

123 FAP

Yeah, we will be dealing with that on Friday.
Old 07-04-2019, 12:27 AM

Quote:
Originally Posted by flatlined View Post
...123 FAP
Oh, sorry. I read that as a countdown, like 123 GO!
And I assumed everyone would be doing a Synchronized Fapping routine.

But it was just me.

In a classy French restaurant.

Zut alors!
Old 07-04-2019, 12:57 AM
Charter Member

Quote:
My Beloved Butthead retired last year. He got bored very quickly and knew that I would be working for a while longer, so bought a big ass RV so he could transport rescue critters from the backwards state of TX to the enlightened states like Maine that requires pet owners to have their pet be fixed.

Great! He's got a hobby, will be active and help the cause. Of course, having the thing retro-fitted for animal transport instead of humans took some time. He got it back today, and its wonderful! Just what we wanted. So, all he had to do was put the license plates on it and load up.

This was the first time we had looked at the totally not custom plates that were delivered with the RV which was bought to be driven by some old bald guy across state lines while carrying puppies and kittens. Wanna know what they say?

No eating or drinking while scrolling!

123 FAP

So are you going to open a thread in IMHO or MPSIMS soliciting suggestions for personalized plates for the Rescue-Mobile (personalized plates DOES strike me as the most straightforward solution to this problem)?

On another note, WELCOME BACK! While acknowledging that it's fundamentally a sentiment based in selfishness, I'm confident that I speak for more than just myself when I say you've been missed.
Old 07-04-2019, 01:33 AM

Well, shit, flatlined. Where you been?

And why in hell did it take 3 1/2 days to start this month's mini rant thread? I would've, but, for once, didn't have anything to bitch about.

Finally, I would totally keep that plate. That's fucking awesome. If Beloved B. won't drive something with that plate, I'd auction it off to support the critter rescues. Get some college frat boys to bid on it - you'll make a mint.
Old 07-04-2019, 02:50 AM

Hi, flatlined! How's the new house coming along?

Would it look bad if I went to do my shopping? We've got a mountain of work THIS BIG, but alas, we don't have permission to do any of it. I think we should be able to call it a WFH day and make it a WFTheBeach instead.
Old 07-04-2019, 04:33 AM
Charter Member

Quote:
Originally Posted by Tatterdemalion View Post
Are they trying to tell you something?
I'm sure they are, but dang if I can figure out what it is. Even with the computer difficulties from corporate, the division I work for has sunk a significant amount of money into refreshing the entire building -- painting all of the walls (with actual colors -- no beiges or off whites); replacing all the cabinets, tables, and appliances in both break rooms; custom signs for both the driveway and the lobby (interestingly, the big sign that used to grace the tallest part of the building was removed); a touchscreen-equipped coffee/cocoa dispenser; new furniture for the front lobby, the main conference room, and the little sitting area outside the general manager's office; massive flat screens for both break rooms; a completely upgraded WiFi network (for guests only -- no employee usage allowed!). We rent the building, if that makes any difference. My company's function is critical to most of our customers -- there might be one or two other companies in the country who are in our line of work, but they lack the appropriate contracts to immediately pick up the slack if my company were to cease operations. I could see corporate thinking it would be a good idea to consolidate our operations into one of their other, larger locations though.

Quote:
123 FAP

North Carolina's standard vehicle plates consist of three letters and four numbers. Many years ago, a local teacher went screaming to the largest news channel in the area after her students explained why everyone was laughing at the "WTF-###" plates on her new car. The DMV promised to discontinue use of the combination, even to the extent of supposedly recalling all of the offensive plates, but I still see somewhat newish ones occasionally.
Old 07-04-2019, 07:19 AM

A person in a WhatsApp group, claiming that "since in Spain discrimination against LGBTI+ people doesn't happen, there's no reason for this Pride thing".

There's no robberies in Egypt either, asshole. I was more polite than that in the group because otherwise I am the one being shrill, but Jesus, people like that make my hands itch.
Old 07-04-2019, 07:22 AM

Ahh, a nice peaceful morning on the front porch with a cup of tea. The boy and wife are asleep. The dog has been fed. Feel the stress float away.

Hmmm what time is it?
7:59
Tick
Tick
Tick
8:00! Cue the lawnmowers! Fire up the two cycle line trimmers and leaf blowers! It’s the suburbs, we’ve got to have our lawns just right!
Sigh

Sent from my iPhone using Tapatalk
Old 07-04-2019, 09:39 AM

flatlined, it is so good to hear from you again! I started reading your post and thought "Beloved Butthead? Wait... there's only one of those..." and indeed, 'twas you!

Frankly, I was relieved to hear that BB is still doing well... retired, and RV'ing critters! Good for him.

I do hope you'll get to post more often. We miss you, and any little stories you or your Beloved have got.
Old 07-04-2019, 10:07 AM

Quote:
Originally Posted by Kelevra View Post
Ahh, a nice peaceful morning on the front porch with a cup of tea. The boy and wife are asleep. The dog has been fed. Feel the stress float away.

Hmmm what time is it?
7:59
Tick
Tick
Tick
8:00! Cue the lawnmowers! Fire up the two cycle line trimmers and leaf blowers! Its the suburbs, weve got to have our lawns just right!
Sigh

Sent from my iPhone using Tapatalk
There are times when I mow early just because it's going to be too hot later on. If that's the case, I don't mind so much. But if you're mowing early on a cool day, you're a jerk.

So it's July 4th and my Facebook feed is full of troop-sucking glurge. Enough! I know you fucking just fucking love our infallible lovable god-like warriors of democracy! We've got Armed Forces Day, Flag Day, Memorial Day, Independence Day, and Veteran's Day. Five fucking days each year turned into Suck The Military's Dick Day. Fuck.
Old 07-04-2019, 10:11 AM
Charter Member

@flatlined:

Told ya.
Old 07-04-2019, 12:42 PM
Charter Member

So now it looks like ICloud took the 4th off. Sucks to be Apple support today!
Old 07-04-2019, 03:21 PM

Quote:
Originally Posted by The Vorlon View Post
So now it looks like ICloud took the 4th off. Sucks to be Apple support today!
As a cloudless luddite, I feel like I dodged a bullet here.

My first reaction was, "Yikes! But I'm in the middle of a bunch of Mac and Photoshop work!"... Then I remembered I'm running CS6 at home, so don't have to connect to either the Adobe or Apple motherships. Also helps that my photos backup to my laptop, not any cloud.

(Yeah, I should take the holiday off, but it's for my kid's wedding invitation, which has to get printed pronto.)
Old 07-04-2019, 05:40 PM

Quote:
Heh. Speaking of scams, corporate has to send out an email every few weeks to remind employees that the company president will NOT contact you from a secret meeting with an urgent request for you to immediately purchase a bunch of gift cards. This has apparently become such a problem company-wide that an email scam module was added to the mandatory safety training.
One of the PMs on my current contract related a story to me where someone attempted the same scam on her a few months ago. She immediately recognized it for what it was so nothing came of it. But it still leads to one of my favorite soapbox topics.

firstname.lastname@company.com as an email format is just begging for these kinds of spearphishing attacks. Get a person's name and employer from FB or LinkedIn and have a blast.

firstname.lastname.***@company.com will at least make a scammer do some work. Where *** is three random alphanumeric characters.
Old 07-04-2019, 07:00 PM

Thanks for the warm welcome back

Thanks also for the suggestion to auction the plate to a frat boy, more rescue money is always an awesome thing.

My BB loves his plates and says that he's going to grow enough fringe hair to get a pony tail extension attached and is going to start chewing a stodgy. I think that he is NOT going to do anything like that and the plates will be replaced post haste. We are both laughing too much to have a good enough argument for make up sex, so we will just have to deal with having anniversary sex instead. No pony tails involved.

In sad news, Steve died of kidney failure last year. He was a very good cat who came to us damaged but did the best he could once he had his slaves properly trained.

Steve's Kitten was with him when the vet came for the final visit and tried to hiss the vet away, so we had to put her in another room. She hid for about a week, then went to the rescue room and picked out a puppy to have for her own.

We didn't want another dog and we certainly didn't want a puppy. Even if we did want a puppy, we would not have picked a puppy that looks to grow up and be a moose. A very hairy moose with monster feets. Puppy is now 6 months old, towers over the greyhounds and refuses to pee/poop outside. That's what litter boxes are for.
Old 07-04-2019, 07:33 PM

Quote:
We didn't want another dog and we certainly didn't want a puppy. Even if we did want a puppy, we would not have picked a puppy that looks to grow up and be a moose. A very hairy moose with monster feets. Puppy is now 6 months old, towers over the greyhounds and refuses to pee/poop outside. That's what litter boxes are for.
A puppy? Oh, good, you haven't gotten older and wiser since we last schmoozed with you.

Oh, tell BB we want a pic of him with a fake ponytail, a fake stogie and a fake "I'm rescuing pets, not your sorry ass" tattoo.
Old 07-04-2019, 07:57 PM
Charter Member

Quote:
Thanks for the warm welcome back

<snip>

In sad news, Steve died of kidney failure last year. He was a very good cat who came to us damaged but did the best he could once he had his slaves properly trained.

Steve's Kitten was with him when the vet came for the final visit and tried to hiss the vet away, so we had to put her in another room. She hid for about a week, then went to the rescue room and picked out a puppy to have for her own.

You've been missed, that's for sure.

Sorry to hear about Steve. My own old man kitty has recently developed hyperthyroidism on top of the IBD he's been dealing with for the last 3 or so years and the heart murmur he's had since kittenhood. The vet's a bit puzzled, though, because his levels dropped from 7.8 to 0.5 in the 3 weeks he's been on the medication. The first is far too high, the second is weirdly low and they don't understand how he could have dropped so fast. So I get to take him in again in a couple weeks.

So ... what sort of litter box are you getting Mr. Huge? I'm trying to figure out something that would be large enough to accommodate him and still be small enough to get through the doors and to clean out. No luck so far. Or are you going to try and train him out of thinking he's a cat? (Have you ever named Steve's Kitten, or is that her official name?)
Old 07-04-2019, 09:41 PM
Isaiah 1:15/Screw the NRA
Charter Member

Fucking fuckers and their fucking fireworks! I have 4 psychotic cats and they are only going to get crazier as the night progresses. Rot in Hell, assholes!
Old 07-05-2019, 12:00 AM
Charter Member

Why, oh, why do people bring dogs to fireworks?? The critter hates them and his/her barking makes everybody nearby miserable.
Old 07-05-2019, 09:18 AM
Charter Member

Quote:
Originally Posted by silenus View Post
Fucking fuckers and their fucking fireworks! I have 4 psychotic cats and they are only going to get crazier as the night progresses. Rot in Hell, assholes!
Agreed. In years past, they've been far enough away that the cat hasn't been freaked out. But this year, there's a new crop of renters down the street who jus' loves them some loud noise. Our poor cat was slinking around so low that her belly was brushing the floor, desperately looking for somewhere to hide. She ended up under the bed until all the racket abated around eleven.
Old 07-05-2019, 09:40 AM
Charter Member

Sorry to hear that Steve passed away, flatlined. I'm glad Steve's Kitten has found another animal to care for. I can't believe that you are complaining because it's a puppy, or because it uses the litter box. Remember how you were trained by Steve? Steve's Kitten has taken over the training. Just follow orders and everything will be fine. Yeah, and don't stay away so long next time.
Old 07-05-2019, 11:49 AM

Welcome back, flatlined! Sorry to hear about Steve. I've currently got a 10-year-old cat with chronic kidney disease. Almost lost him last year but so far keeping him as healthy and happy as possible with special food, periodic IV fluids, and CBD oil.

Can you get one of those plastic kiddie pools and fill it with cat litter for the puppy? Sounds like you might need it!

My neighborhood sounded like a war zone yesterday from about noon until sometime after midnight. Glad I decided to take this week off from work so I didn't have to get up this morning. The cat was OK up until the city's show started; I live close enough to hear but there's too many trees in the way to see. Couple of window-shakers and the cat was under the bed.
Old 07-08-2019, 03:43 PM
Charter Member

Just in case there is any question of it, the internet has an awful lot of sleazeballs out there.

"Duh!" you say.

"Kinda stating the obvious", you say.

Well, all true - but the most recent example is that my daughter - who is job hunting - created a basic LinkedIn profile on Wednesday.

By Friday, she had received ***numerous*** requests.

From men.

Asking what she'd be doing all weekend.

Now, she's 22 - i.e. not born yesterday. And a legal adult. And pretty savvy - in theory - to the evils of the world (the kid can out-crude me sometimes and that's saying something).

But she was pretty shocked and upset that people were ***hitting on her*** on what is supposedly a "professional" site.

We told her to report the people to LinkedIn - not that they're really who they say they are, but at least their sock puppets might get banned (or will they? Does LinkedIn even police bullshit like that?).
Old 07-08-2019, 03:53 PM
Charter Member

Quote:
I agree with you though for different reasons. Some moron nearly burned our house down some years back - on New Year's Eve, not J4, mind you....

We were at home, near midnight, and heard a whooshing sound. It reminded me of the sound if you drag a cardboard box across concrete.

Then the smoke detectors went off.

After our first task (running around screaming), I called 911 while my husband investigated - and found that there was a fire in our backyard. A small one - it had rained recently, and this was in the mulch just outside the back door. We clobbered it with the fire extinguisher, and were able to tell the firemen that it was dealt with, when they arrived a couple minutes later.

The next day, we took another look - and there was a large dent in the aluminum siding where the thing had bounced off the wall. If it had gone one foot to the right or two to the left, it would have blown right through our walkout basement windows, into the finished basement, and we'd have had a very different story to tell.

We asked a fire marshall to stop by to document what had happened so we could file with insurance. He took one look at the device and said "Huh. That's not legal here The closest place it *might* be legal is South Carolina" (we live just outside Washington DC).

So some asshole drove a minimum of 400 miles after having procured some truly scary stuff, decided to combine alcohol and gunpowder (or whatever makes those things fly), and nearly wrecked our lives.

Luckily, we just got a story out of it, and a bill for several hundred dollars for the siding repair. And we found out that there are benefits to poorly-built, leaky-walled construction, as the smoke from that small fire got into the house and was sufficient to set off the alarms. We were also lucky that it had rained recently, which kept the fire from growing too quickly. Had it gotten bigger, it still might have done a lot of damage even though it started on the outside.
Old 07-08-2019, 04:36 PM

Quote:
Originally Posted by Mama Zappa View Post
I agree with you though for different reasons. Some moron nearly burned our house down some years back - on New Year's Eve, not J4, mind you....

We were at home, near midnight, and heard a whooshing sound. It reminded me of the sound if you drag a cardboard box across concrete.

Then the smoke detectors went off.

After our first task (running around screaming), I called 911 while my husband investigated - and found that there was a fire in our backyard. A small one - it had rained recently, and this was in the mulch just outside the back door. We clobbered it with the fire extinguisher, and were able to tell the firemen that it was dealt with, when they arrived a couple minutes later.

The next day, we took another look - and there was a large dent in the aluminum siding where the thing had bounced off the wall. If it had gone one foot to the right or two to the left, it would have blown right through our walkout basement windows, into the finished basement, and we'd have had a very different story to tell.

We asked a fire marshall to stop by to document what had happened so we could file with insurance. He took one look at the device and said "Huh. That's not legal here The closest place it *might* be legal is South Carolina" (we live just outside Washington DC).

So some asshole drove a minimum of 400 miles after having procured some truly scary stuff, decided to combine alcohol and gunpowder (or whatever makes those things fly), and nearly wrecked our lives.

Luckily, we just got a story out of it, and a bill for several hundred dollars for the siding repair. And we found out that there are benefits to poorly-built, leaky-walled construction, as the smoke from that small fire got into the house and was sufficient to set off the alarms. We were also lucky that it had rained recently, which kept the fire from growing too quickly. Had it gotten bigger, it still might have done a lot of damage even though it started on the outside.
Wow. I'm always uneasy around the 4th of July just for that reason, especially during dry spells and its effect on shrubbery, grass, pine needle beds. Much more flammable.

I too had an incident during New Year's eve ( whereby they're as nutty with the fireworks as July 4th around here )

Heard a loud "Whack! hit the house. Thinking it was a rocket, and having found none, I'd wait till daylight to look more thoroughly. None noted.

It turned out to be a bullet! I only found out months later due to finally calling a roofer to find an elusive leak I developed but could not find. He called down to me from the roof and peeled back a shingle to reveal a large hole in it. We could could not find the slug in the attic. From the diameter and trajectory, it was plain it came from a 20 or 16 gauge shotgun ( firing a solid "slug" ) fired upright in to the air. We have some yahoos around here.

The roof was repaired but I still shudder with the major "what if", as in what if it fell a few yards short and what if I was on the back patio?

Last edited by BrickBat; 07-08-2019 at 04:37 PM.
Old 07-08-2019, 05:47 PM

I live less than an hour from the SC border. There were no legal fireworks set off in my neighborhood. Even the ones we set off were illegal. We*, however, had enough sense to make sure that we set them off on flat land with open space above not pointed at the neighbors houses and we soaked the boxes with the hose after they finished going off.

We may be crazy hillbillies, but we're safe crazy hillbillies.

*my roommates and I

Last edited by Catamount; 07-08-2019 at 05:48 PM. Reason: Footnoting
Old 07-08-2019, 11:21 PM
Charter Member

Quote:
Seems like a simple way to identify the stupidist employees!
Add them to the list of first employees to be laid off in bad times.
Old 07-08-2019, 11:26 PM

There is apparently a conspiracy afoot to have me save my money, which is probably a good thing.

Example #1: While I was out today I thought I'd stop by a place that makes really good takeout burgers, and while I don't like their fries, their onion rings are great. Yeah. There was nobody there except a couple (of customers) inside, who eventually left. Shouting "hello? Does anybody work here?" brought no results. The place was fucking deserted. I should have emptied their cash registers before I left. So I went home and had a better dinner there, involving only a bit of effort.

Example #2: Then Amazon refuses to sell me a small item that I ordered. "We have yet to receive a valid method of payment", said the email. The "method of payment" was a perfectly valid credit card, and when I called the issuing bank, they said they had no record of any decline and there should be no reason for one. The card expires at the end of this month and I do have a new one, but the new one hasn't been activated yet. The current one works perfectly fine for everything else. Both cards need to be inserted up Jeff Bezos' ass sideways.

Last edited by wolfpup; 07-08-2019 at 11:27 PM.
Old 07-09-2019, 01:06 AM

Customer, looking at five cops standing in our store, eating their lunches and talking;

Cu: There's our tax dollars at work!
Me: They get to take breaks, sir.
Cu: Oh don't get me started on that!
Me: We want them in our store, sir.
Cu: <stomps off>

Dude, go fuck yourself sideways. Don't get ME started! Civil Servants get to take lunches and breaks. Taxes are not theft and real patriots don't whine about how their taxes are too high and are only being wasted. So five cops stand around in a store eating and talking for 30 minutes instead of going to a fast food place... or wait, would that be a problem for you too? Are they not allowed to eat food while on duty or visit restrooms? Or should they be forced to return to the police station to do this, out of sight of the public? I mean, I know WHERE the problem is, and it is in your head, but what exactly is your idea of how this should work here?
Old 07-09-2019, 04:57 AM

Quote:
Originally Posted by Mama Zappa View Post
We told her to report the people to LinkedIn - not that they're really who they say they are, but at least their sock puppets might get banned (or will they? Does LinkedIn even police bullshit like that?).
Yes they do. Also using their site to sell stuff, pyramid schemes, people copying CVs...
Old 07-09-2019, 08:26 AM
Charter Member

Computer update: corporate IT has admitted that they sent the wrong computer. My supervisor says they'll send me the right computer if I send the loaner back. Another manager here who also functions as our in-house computer guy says the only way corporate IT will be getting their loaner back is if they buy a plane ticket and come down here to retrieve it. As of now, I'm still running two computers to have access to all of the software I need.

Quote:
Originally Posted by Tim@T-Bonham.net View Post
Seems like a simple way to identify the stupidist employees!
Add them to the list of first employees to be laid off in bad times.
This is a company that doesn't think twice about retaining an employee who's been busted for stealing company property, so long as the employee in question has been working here for decades...I can't imagine that their list of "first to go" employees would have such a practical basis.
Old 07-09-2019, 08:29 AM
Straight Dope Science Advisory Board

Quote:
Originally Posted by Chimera View Post
Customer, looking at five cops standing in our store, eating their lunches and talking;

Cu: There's our tax dollars at work!
Me: They get to take breaks, sir.
Cu: Oh don't get me started on that!
Me: We want them in our store, sir.
Cu: <stomps off>

Dude, go fuck yourself sideways. Don't get ME started! Civil Servants get to take lunches and breaks. Taxes are not theft and real patriots don't whine about how their taxes are too high and are only being wasted. So five cops stand around in a store eating and talking for 30 minutes instead of going to a fast food place... or wait, would that be a problem for you too? Are they not allowed to eat food while on duty or visit restrooms? Or should they be forced to return to the police station to do this, out of sight of the public? I mean, I know WHERE the problem is, and it is in your head, but what exactly is your idea of how this should work here?

Patrol cops do not get scheduled lunch breaks like other jobs do. The cops have to radio in for permission to take a break and that break can be denied or terminated when something goes down. That customer is a bigoted moron.
Old 07-09-2019, 09:36 AM

Quote:
Our local pyrotechnical idiots extended fireworks right on through the entire weekend. Complete with dynamite and tree stump removal material. Our dogs are still recovering.

A guy I ran into described how his dog trembled and whined nonstop due to fireworks. I commiserated and suggested he call the cops. Turns out the fireworks were his and he didn't want to disappoint his kids!?
Old 07-09-2019, 09:46 AM
Charter Member

So according to Nissan, the front seat passenger is an idiot who is incapable of doing any navigation functions.

Their navigation software which appears to have been programmed by drunks WILL NOT let anyone enter an address while the car's shift lever is set anywhere but park.

So when Mrs. BD and I are en route to an unfamiliar location we have to pull over and put the car in park to enter an address.

And while we're at it Nissan, why did you move the sound system's fucking volume controls on the steering wheel? They used to be easily controlled with my thumb without my need to change my grip on the wheel. Now the volume buttons are in a recessed area that causes me to move my grip (and divert my gaze to find the little fuckers).

The old location still has the familiar rocker button in it and it happily changes the information screen on the driver's console every time that I try to adjust the volume. (I know, first world problem) But it's a first world distraction that I have to overcome multiple times daily.
Old 07-09-2019, 10:39 AM
Charter Member

Twice in the past 24 hours I've been attacked by stranger's objects, and received no apologies for it. Last night, while waiting at the bus stop a guy walking his small dogs goes by me. One of the dogs jumps my leg. I control myself and don't send said dog flying into the busy main street. Guy pulls at dog's leash and goes out into the night without saying a word.

Today at the library the woman sitting next to me watches as her cane falls over and hits my leg. She moves it without saying a word.

Don't people apologize any more? I know I do if I bump into you. What's up with that?
Old 07-09-2019, 10:41 AM

So, I took last week off and stayed at my brother's house in Ga, where I grew up. A few hours after I go tin, I got a call from my friend Joel, who told me his son Jeremy died earlier that day.

Jeremy was born brain damaged, and lived for 29 years. He didn't have the ability to talk, so he mainly screamed and threw things. He was the boy that never grew up. He required constant medical care such as oxygen tanks and numerous medications. Joel lives with his parents, and they helped care for Jeremy as well. He was surrounded by continual love, and each day he survived was a miracle. His whole family are UGA fans, and he picked up on that instinctively. He would scream for the Bulldogs during their games, and give the opposing coach a Thousand Yard Stare whenever the camera showed him. Jeremy was buried in a UGA jersey and had a Bulldog license plate on top of his coffin. I love being from the South.

His funeral went OK, in that I got to reconnect with people I hadn't seen in a minute, but the minister was one of those stereotypical Southern Baptist preachers who bloviated about Gawd's Wrath, and how we can only avoid it by accepting Jayzus. Jeremy was completely innocent and didn't deserve that kind of sanctimonious diarrhea. Plus, his mom's side of the family is Jewish, and here they are getting pelted by Jayzus nails. I wanted to throw that fat bastard out with extreme prejudice. I'm still pissed about it. Jeremy's mom was a complete basket case, and it didn't help that these zealots were trying to save her soul, using Jeremy's passing as leverage. There are some things about being from the South I don't love.

I stayed around to give Jeremy's parents my condolences and drink a toast to him, but I just can't handle mourning. I don't know what to say and I feel like I'm not grieving enough.
Old 07-09-2019, 12:28 PM

I'm sorry to hear about your friend's brother.

A friend of my husband died a couple years ago and her funeral service was similar to Jeremy's. She was a young woman who had MS (If I remember correctly) and everyone knew her time was coming up short so it wasn't a shock. But it was still very sad. I was personally offended - but kept it to myself until I commented to my husband later in private - that the service started with 30 minutes of bloviating by a Catholic priest. His message was "See? Life is short and this is why you all should join the Church". He barely spared a sentence for the deceased.

If I lived in a comic/fantasy world where I could stop time, I would have done that so that her family didn't get upset by my actions, and then slap the bejeezus out of that self-righteous prick.

Last edited by JcWoman; 07-09-2019 at 12:28 PM.
Old 07-09-2019, 06:28 PM

I’m so irate. I’m still sitting on my ass, unable to return to work. My employer requested a letter from my transplant team outlining what limitations I have in returning to work. They also requested info on future appointments. Twelve days ago- TWELVE- the surgeon and I discussed what I felt I could do. We agreed the best plan is continue with 20% office / 80% home, working up to mandated 50/50 over the next three months. We also agreed to no client face to face contact for six months.
Last Wednesday I was assured the letter was drafted and ready to go. Friday I was told the surgeon needed to sign off. Monday, at my appointment to finally get the staples out, I was told it’s still being worked on.
Today I called the coordinator, was told her associate had it ready to be sent. Associate then emails me asking when I’m planning on returning to work. Frustrated, I sharply replied that I cannot until our LAM office reviews and approves it, which is why I am irritated with this continuing delay.
What are you looking for us to say?
Really? The agreed language was in every damn email I have sent over the past twelve days.
She literally copy/pasted one of my emails, grammatical errors and all, leaving off the client contact request and future appointments.
At this point, I have no return to work date. Judging by some of the work emails I’ve read, one of my primary duties is being completely fucked up by coverage workers. Who knows what has happened with my caseload.
I’ve read over 20 books in the past 19 days. Rewatched every Marvel and Harry Potter movie. I’m going bonkers.
Old 07-09-2019, 07:50 PM

Our dishes are coming out of the dishwasher smelling like the ass end of a dead skunk again.

This delightful occurrence arrives out of the blue for no apparent reason, disappears the same way, and then reappears months or years later.

Yay.

If you google this, there is no definitive reason or solution to be found. And the search gets a crapload of people with the same complaint. Plumbers just look at us like we have two heads and are speaking in a foreign language. And blink a few times.
Old 07-09-2019, 08:48 PM

Quote:
Originally Posted by pohjonen View Post
Our dishes are coming out of the dishwasher smelling like the ass end of a dead skunk again.
Weird. The only thing I can imagine it could possibly be is residual foodstuffs somehow rotting in the remaining water in or around the pump. There might be stuff that's trapped in there. My current dishwasher had a noise problem due to some sort of plastic or otherwise water-resistant material stuck in the pump. I noticed that after a while the noise intermittently stopped and started, and gradually occurred less and less frequently until it went away completely. Presumably the stuff eventually got cleared out.
Old 07-09-2019, 08:57 PM

More problems with Amazon. The credit card issue got resolved, still not sure what happened. I activated the replacement card and updated the expiry date, and the charge automatically went through about an hour later. But the old card absolutely was good until the end of July.

But the new problem is that for the first time, the delivery (arriving tomorrow) is via Amazon's own delivery service. This sucks, because they always used to use expedited postal delivery, which is great for me because I don't have to be home or awake -- the parcel gets left in the parcel compartment of the community mailbox (newer homes have not had door-to-door delivery for many years except for parcels that require a signature). Now the fuckers are bringing it directly to the door, and if I don't run to the door in ten seconds flat I won't get the package.
Old 07-09-2019, 09:06 PM
Charter Member

Do any of the local supermarkets have the Amazon delivery boxes?
Old 07-09-2019, 09:28 PM

Quote:
Originally Posted by The Vorlon View Post
Do any of the local supermarkets have the Amazon delivery boxes?
I've never seen that. May be just a US thing. Even direct door delivery by courier services is better, because if there's no answer at the door, they leave the package at a designated local agency by about 5:00 PM where you can pick it up. Amazon delivery doesn't have that. They just say they'll try to deliver three times on consecutive days, and then send it back and issue a refund.

I missed a courier delivery of a new laptop a few weeks ago that I was really looking forward to (from Dell, not Amazon). It was no big deal as I was able to pick it up a few hours later from one of the courier's designated agents just a very short drive away. Amazon Logistics delivery for me is the worst of all possible worlds.
Old 07-09-2019, 10:00 PM

Quote:
Originally Posted by wolfpup View Post
Weird. The only thing I can imagine it could possibly be is residual foodstuffs somehow rotting in the remaining water in or around the pump. There might be stuff that's trapped in there. My current dishwasher had a noise problem due to some sort of plastic or otherwise water-resistant material stuck in the pump. I noticed that after a while the noise intermittently stopped and started, and gradually occurred less and less frequently until it went away completely. Presumably the stuff eventually got cleared out.
I all but prewash the dishes before I load them. There is no residual food on our dishes when they go into the dishwasher.
Old 07-09-2019, 10:05 PM

I'm doing a test. A glass from out of the dishwasher, and bottled water from the store poured into the glass. If it doesn't stink after sitting in there for a few minutes, then it's the water. If it does, then it's the glass. It always takes a few minutes of sitting for the water to take on that ... aroma.

Drums fingers in anticipation...
Old 07-09-2019, 10:21 PM

It's the glass. The smell comes up when the water sits in it for a while, even bottled water. WTF.