Old 12-31-2019, 03:40 PM

Anyone here willing to vote for Trump/not vote at all if chosen Democrat doesn't win the primary?

I'm voting Democrat regardless. Also, the title was too long to add in third party candidates or writing ins.

Also, do you live in a state where it would matter, and would you vote the same way in a different state?
Old 12-31-2019, 03:48 PM

In a word, no. Hell to the no. No squared. I would vote for the corpse of Charles Manson before I'd vote for that orange moron with the prehensile rectum for a mouth.
Old 12-31-2019, 03:53 PM

I'm voting for "Any Democrat". My vote in the primary will be for who I think has the greatest chance of winning the presidential election rather than who I like the best. But regardless of who wins the primary, I'll vote for them.
Old 12-31-2019, 03:54 PM
Charter Member

I live in a "red state" and my vote can't possibly matter. But if Marianne Williamson (somehow!) gets the nomination, I'll vote for her. (Then I'll drive straight to my cabin in the mountains that I will have bought and spent the time between the Democratic Convention and Election Day stocking with canned goods and weapons and various and sundry survival gear.)

Ceterum censeo imperium Trumpi esse delendam
Old 12-31-2019, 04:28 PM

Quote:
Originally Posted by filmore View Post
I'm voting for "Any Democrat". My vote in the primary will be for who I think has the greatest chance of winning the presidential election rather than who I like the best. But regardless of who wins the primary, I'll vote for them.
Same. If Tulsi Gabbard somehow gets the nomination, Iíll still hold my nose and vote for her. I live in Missouri, which is, sadly, now a pretty red state (we used to be a swing state, dammit!), so my vote wonít matter a whole lot, but Iím voting straight Democratic in every race. Unless one of the local Democratic candidates turns out to be a serial killer or something. Then Iíll vote third party or skip the race. I canít imagine any realistic scenario under which I wold vote for a Republican.
Old 12-31-2019, 04:46 PM

Quote:
Originally Posted by BobLibDem View Post
In a word, no. Hell to the no. No squared. I would vote for the corpse of Charles Manson before I'd vote for that orange moron with the prehensile rectum for a mouth.
This was so perfectly and eloquently expressed, I can think of only one thing to add:

Ditto.
Old 12-31-2019, 04:47 PM

There is no scenario where I'd vote for Trump. As I stated in another thread, it looks like there is no Democratic candidate that does not support a ban on so called "assault weapons" and/or registration, so I will either vote third party or write myself in. My state is as red as it gets, so my vote is utterly irrelevant here. I'd do the same if I lived elsewhere.
Old 12-31-2019, 04:47 PM

Nope, I'm voting Dem regardless of the candidate but depending on who the Dem is I may vote for Gardener to try to ensure the Repubs keep control of the senate.
Old 12-31-2019, 04:48 PM
Charter Member

I'm voting for whoever wins the Dem nomination, period.

I'm in Maryland and my vote doesn't make any sort of difference, but it's the principle of the thing.
Old 12-31-2019, 04:51 PM

I can't conceive of a set of circumstances in which I wouldn't vote for the Democrat.
Old 12-31-2019, 05:00 PM

Quote:
This.
Old 12-31-2019, 05:20 PM

GOP have become the incarnation of the American Nazi Party; they CANNOT propose anyone acceptable. I reside in California, which will go for whichever Dem grabs the nomination, so I'm free to vote for anyone.

CTHULHU 2020
Why accept the lesser evil?
Old 12-31-2019, 05:40 PM

Quote:
Originally Posted by RioRico View Post
CTHULHU 2020
You need to print up a ton of these, they'd sell. Then no matter what, you'll at least be able to retire as a millionaire.

ETA: I'm voting for the Dem nom.
Even if Bernie (or even Pete) runs as an Ind.

Last edited by digs; 12-31-2019 at 05:43 PM.
Old 12-31-2019, 05:57 PM

Quote:
Aye.
Old 12-31-2019, 06:04 PM

Iím in VT, which means Bernie will win my primary and whoever the Dem. nominee is will get our big fat 3 electoral votes regardless. Still, as a matter of principal, Iíll vote for any Dem. in the general.
Old 12-31-2019, 06:09 PM

Quote:
Originally Posted by digs View Post
You need to print up a ton of these, they'd sell. Then no matter what, you'll at least be able to retire as a millionaire.

ETA: I'm voting for the Dem nom.
Even if Bernie (or even Pete) runs as an Ind.
Too late. I've already seen the bumper sticker.
Old 12-31-2019, 06:11 PM
Charter Member

I will vote for whichever candidate has the best chance of getting Trump out of office. I'm assuming that will be the Democratic nominee.
Old 12-31-2019, 07:27 PM

I really really don't want to vote for a Republican, but if Biden wins the Democratic nomination I'll hold my nose and vote for him. Even Mr. Republican Light with his possible actual Republican running mate would be better than Trump.
Old 12-31-2019, 07:45 PM

You could not pay me to vote for Trump. I will vote for whoever the Democratic candidate ends up being.
Old 12-31-2019, 08:04 PM
Charter Member

Quote:
Originally Posted by Fugazi View Post
I really really don't want to vote for a Republican, but if Biden wins the Democratic nomination I'll hold my nose and vote for him. Even Mr. Republican Light with his possible actual Republican running mate would be better than Trump.
C'mon. Even Biden understands that if he had a Republican VP he wouldn't last a week.
Old 12-31-2019, 08:04 PM
Charter Member

I despise Bernie Sanders but I’d vote for him before Trump and I never throw my vote away on a vanity third party. I live in bright blue Illinois, so if my vote really matters, it’s a Republican landslide of 72 or 84 proportions.

The only way I’d vote a 3rd party would be some weird election like 1860 with party schisms. In today’s environment, I despise the Greens and Libertarians as much as the Republicans.
Old 12-31-2019, 08:17 PM

Quote:
The answer to the question posed in the OP is Absolutely Not.

Fugazi: A little off topic, perhaps, but I'm curious why you think that support of gay rights, support of gun control, support of voting rights, support of campaign finance reform, and support of the Paris Accord, just as a sampler of Biden's positions, is in any way consistent with the goals of the Republican Party. I mean, these days it's kind of hard to find a single Republican office-holder who argues for even one of these positions.

I'm glad you would vote for even your least liked candidate, in any case. And I'm heartened by the results thus far. Hope the answers continue in this vein.
Old 12-31-2019, 08:26 PM
Charter Member

Quote:
Originally Posted by Ulf the Unwashed View Post
The answer to the question posed in the OP is Absolutely Not.

Fugazi: A little off topic, perhaps, but I'm curious why you think that support of gay rights, support of gun control, support of voting rights, support of campaign finance reform, and support of the Paris Accord, just as a sampler of Biden's positions, is in any way consistent with the goals of the Republican Party. I mean, these days it's kind of hard to find a single Republican office-holder who argues for even one of these positions.

I'm glad you would vote for even your least liked candidate, in any case. And I'm heartened by the results thus far. Hope the answers continue in this vein.
Iím hoping this is more like 2004. Yes, Kerry lost but it wasnít because of third party protest votes or Ďthe lesser of two evils is still evilí shit. Yeah, I know people blow off steam on Twitter, but I donít think many people are getting cute this year with their votes when we know the Dem candidate doesnít have the election in the bag.
Old 12-31-2019, 08:30 PM

He's just too centrist for me. I'm more left. But like I said, he still beats the hell out of Trump.
Old 12-31-2019, 09:00 PM

Quote:
He's just too centrist for me. I'm more left. But like I said, he still beats the hell out of Trump.
Thanks for answering. That's fine--I've got no problem with that at all. Of course there are going to be candidates you (and me, and everyone else) like better than others. I'm just intrigued by the claims I occasionally read that Biden (and Buttigieg, and Kobuchar, and Hillary Clinton, and for that matter Barack Obama) essentially support and echo the Republican platform and are "really" members of the GOP. This just strikes me as completely weird. Oh well, so it goes.
Old 12-31-2019, 09:07 PM

I would pretty much vote for Satan to get rid of Trump.
Old 12-31-2019, 09:13 PM

I'm voting against Trump. Gabbard or Williamson would require some nose holding. Couldn't be worse than D2S
Old 12-31-2019, 09:20 PM
Charter Member

Quote:
GOP have become the incarnation of the American Nazi Party; they CANNOT propose anyone acceptable.
...for ANY office, it should be reiterated.
Old 12-31-2019, 09:21 PM

I've never voted Republican and I most certainly will not vote for Trump.

If he gets a second term the disease of Trumpism will plague this country irreversibly.
Old 12-31-2019, 09:24 PM

In 2016 I was ambivalent re: Hillary v. Bernie. I sort of regarded myself as about halfway between them philosophically. So, since I didn't care which one won, I crossed over and voted for Kasich in the GOP primary. I couldn't wait until November to vote against trump. So, yeah, I agree with the OP.
Old 12-31-2019, 09:27 PM

I can't imagine the Democrats putting up anyone worse than Trump, and the top 4 in the polls are all...acceptable, though I don't like Sanders much. Still, he's the worst of the top 4, and he's worlds ahead of Trump.
Old 12-31-2019, 11:20 PM

Quote:
CTHULHU 2020
Quote:
Originally Posted by digs View Post
Quote:
Originally Posted by drad dog View Post
Too late. I've already seen the bumper sticker.
Yeah, that meme is out there. The Cthulhu Wiki page says:
Quote:
Cthulhu has appeared as a parody candidate in several elections, including the 2010 Polish presidential election as well as the 2012 and 2016 US presidential elections.[25][26] The faux campaigns usually satirize voters who claim to vote for the "lesser evil". In 2016 the Troll account known as "The Dark Lord Cthulhu" submitted an official application to be on the Massachusetts Presidential Ballot. The account also raised over $4000 from fans to fund the campaign through a gofundme.com page. Gofundme removed the campaign page and refunded the funds, stating that the fundraiser did not meet their requirements. The Cthulhu Party[27] (UK), another pseudo-political organisation, claim to be 'Changing Politics for Evil', their take on The Brexit Party's Changing Politics for Good; a member of The Cthulhu Party holds the position of Mayor of Blists Hill. Another organisation, Cthulhu for America[28] claim they want to run against Donald Trump in the 2020 elections to provide an alternative to 'the lesser of two evils'.
The page includes an image of a poster used in the 2010 Polish presidential election, with the caption (in Polish) "Choose the greater evil. Vote Cthulhu".

Note the varying opinions as to whether one should vote for Cthulhu as the lesser or greater of evils.
Old 12-31-2019, 11:36 PM

Id vote for whoever is the the majority candidate that isn't Trump. Whether that's a piece of toast, a hole in the wall where men can see it all, or for the 25th year in a row, Bobby Moynahaaaaaan!
Old 01-01-2020, 12:17 AM

I will vote for whoever the democratic nominee is irrelevant of whether they are my first choice.
Old 01-01-2020, 02:16 AM
Charter Member

Quote:
You know what they call centrist Democratic candidates, don't you?

Mr. President.*

Just ask Jimmy, Bill, and Barry.

*Or coming soon: Madam President!

Last edited by I Love Me, Vol. I; 01-01-2020 at 02:18 AM.
Old 01-01-2020, 02:31 AM

It goes without saying that I would vote for anybody but Trump.

But what this century has taught me is how very, very important it is to vote Democratic on all the state and local races as well. I used to just ignore them, because the names meant nothing to me, but what the state-level Republicans are doing with gerrymandering, voter suppression, environmental regulations, etc., and what McConnell has been able to do with a small majority in the Senate with judicial appointments and bill suppression, is far worse and longer lasting than anything the tweeting Cheeto has done.
Old 01-01-2020, 02:46 AM
Elephant Whisperer

No fucking way I would not vote for the Democrat even if it were a dead Charles Manson. Still be better than Chump.
Old 01-01-2020, 03:43 AM

Quote:
Originally Posted by MEBuckner View Post
I live in a "red state" and my vote can't possibly matter. But if Marianne Williamson (somehow!) gets the nomination, I'll vote for her. (Then I'll drive straight to my cabin in the mountains that I will have bought and spent the time between the Democratic Convention and Election Day stocking with canned goods and weapons and various and sundry survival gear.)
I'd rather pound my testicles flat with a wooden hammer than vote for Trump.

Hey, MEBuckner, any chance you'd be willing to share that cabin with me and Girl Wonder? We can both cook, and have been EMTs, so we're occasionally useful. And she tries not to eat meat, so she won't make too big a dent in your canned good. Plus, she weighs like 98 pounds and can shoot game. We live in a red state, too (Kentucky, so we have to endure Mitch McConnell more than most people do), and would love the escape.
Old 01-01-2020, 04:20 AM

I will vote. I will vote for the Democrat. Even better, I will vote in the swing state of Pennsylvania.
Do you know a child in need?
Old 01-01-2020, 04:54 AM
Charter Member

Quote:
Originally Posted by Paul in Qatar View Post
I will vote. I will vote for the Democrat. Even better, I will vote in the swing state of Pennsylvania.
You and me both. I am embarrassed by what our state did the last time.

If the Democrat is an old piece of gum stuck under a desk, it will have my vote.

For the primary I'm kind of torn between voting for my favorite (still undecided) or who I think is the most likely to beat Trump.

But at the end of the day I think I'll have to go for the most likely to win. Currently I think that's Biden, because he's popular here in PA, even in some red areas, and PA can make the difference.

Last edited by davidm; 01-01-2020 at 04:56 AM.
Old 01-01-2020, 06:54 AM
Charter Member

Quote:
Originally Posted by TonySinclair View Post
But what this century has taught me is how very, very important it is to vote Democratic on all the state and local races as well. I used to just ignore them, because the names meant nothing to me, but what the state-level Republicans are doing with gerrymandering, voter suppression, environmental regulations, etc.
THIS.

Here's a 538 graphic that shows just how important those races are, showing what each party has done in the states where it has trifecta control (governor + both houses of legislature). And needless to say, they are worlds apart.

(My only complaint is 538 didn't include the GOP's current state-level assault on reproductive rights. The Democratic Party should take this graphic, add that in, and make sure people see it in states where the legislature is up for grabs.)
Old 01-01-2020, 08:18 AM

Quote:
Originally Posted by TonySinclair View Post
It goes without saying that I would vote for anybody but Trump.

But what this century has taught me is how very, very important it is to vote Democratic on all the state and local races as well. I used to just ignore them, because the names meant nothing to me, but what the state-level Republicans are doing with gerrymandering, voter suppression, environmental regulations, etc., and what McConnell has been able to do with a small majority in the Senate with judicial appointments and bill suppression, is far worse and longer lasting than anything the tweeting Cheeto has done.
Oh yeah. I agree with this whole heartedly. In the 2018 midterms I went straight Dem. Some minor office that I don't remember had a Republican running unopposed. I left it blank.
Old 01-01-2020, 08:31 AM

Quote:
Oh yeah. I agree with this whole heartedly. In the 2018 midterms I went straight Dem. Some minor office that I don't remember had a Republican running unopposed. I left it blank.
I always write in Gilbert Gottfried
Old 01-01-2020, 09:42 AM

Quote:
Originally Posted by Superdude View Post
I always write in Gilbert Gottfried
He also has my vote to play Gym Jordan in the movie they'll make about this clusterfuck one day.
Old 01-01-2020, 10:13 AM
Charter Member

I didn’t vote for Kim Foxx (before Jussie Smollet, I knew she was incompetent) and Dorothy Brown (who is corrupt even by Chicago politics standards) This being Chicago, I’d knew they both would win but I couldn’t vote for either of them in conscience.
Old 01-01-2020, 10:17 AM

Quote:
Originally Posted by Siam Sam View Post
No fucking way I would not vote for the Democrat even if it were a dead Charles Manson. Still be better than Chump.
Theoretically a dead Charles Manson would be better than a live one, but yes, any sentient creature is better than the orange whatsis.
Also, no Republicans. None. Enablers and hypocrites.
Old 01-01-2020, 10:30 AM

No fucking way. I'm voting for whichever Democrat wins the primary, even if it's Bernie Sanders.
Old 01-01-2020, 10:31 AM

Quote:
Originally Posted by Superdude View Post
I'd rather pound my testicles flat with a wooden hammer than vote for Trump .
I live in the deep red state of Utah.
I've voted straight ticket Democrat since the GOP impeached Bill Clinton in 1998.
Old 01-01-2020, 04:55 PM

I note a lack of support for the current POTUS. Perhaps because Dopers and others who civilly seek information here are better educated, more intelligent, and thus lest brainwashed than a large proportion of the population.
Old 01-01-2020, 06:34 PM

It's quite possible that I could vote third party depending on the eventual Democratic nominee, but I can't see myself voting for Trump currently.