Old 11-02-2018, 05:16 PM
Charter Member

NHL November 2018

Any particular reason Winnipeg had an afternoon game today? Is there a Canadian holiday.

It definitely messed up with my fantasy teams.
Old 11-03-2018, 11:29 PM

No holiday that I'm aware of.

Sorry Guin, the Leafs destroyed the Penguins tonight.

Totally dominated the game.
Old 11-04-2018, 01:42 AM

Knights scored one goal each period for a 3-0 win. I like that scoring average!
Old 11-04-2018, 02:19 AM

Quote:
Originally Posted by Leaffan View Post
No holiday that I'm aware of.

Sorry Guin, the Leafs destroyed the Penguins tonight.

Totally dominated the game.
Tell me about it. What is going ON with our team? We got our asses kicked by the Islanders the other night too. WTF?
Old 11-04-2018, 02:28 PM
Charter Member

First coaching change of the year. The Kings have been horrible and fired their coach.

https://twitter.com/puckpodcast/stat...568656384?s=21
Old 11-05-2018, 04:57 PM

Quote:
Originally Posted by Guinastasia View Post
Tell me about it. What is going ON with our team? We got our asses kicked by the Islanders the other night too. WTF?
Well, the Islanders are on a six-game streak right now. The also one the second part of the home and home against the Pens, then beat the Devils 3-0. Their goalies have been super hot and I think Trotz has a done good things with their defensive play. Last season, they had the most goals against by far, and now they are towards the top of the list (so far -- many more games to play, of course). They aren't even relying on the Barzal line for their scoring.

All that said, watching them play the Pens was extremely nerve-wracking for me. Their first two lines are all-stars. Insane.
Old 11-05-2018, 11:05 PM

Number of days since last Senators embarrassment: 0
Old 11-06-2018, 02:10 AM

Aye; they checked themselves head first into the boards right there, eh.
Old 11-06-2018, 12:01 PM
Friend of Cecil
Charter Member

And the Hawks can Quenneville.
Old 11-06-2018, 12:13 PM
Charter Member

Quote:
Originally Posted by Ike Witt View Post
And the Hawks can Quenneville.
Heard this at about 7:45 this morning, thanks to my NHL app. Wife picked up my phone after it buzzed and said something about Hawks getting new coach. Took me a few beats to process. "Wait, what? Like Blackhawks? Quenville's out?" "Yes, that's what the notification says.Some guy named Col..lit..ton is the coach now." What the fuck? Ten years, three Stanleys, and you're stuck with a skeleton of a team, why the fuck isn't Bowman out and not Coach Q?
Old 11-06-2018, 12:33 PM

That was about what I thought too, pulykamell.
Old 11-06-2018, 01:42 PM

Ottawa should hire him.
Old 11-06-2018, 02:00 PM
Charter Member

I read a decent number of Chicago sports blogs and never seen any mention of an imminent firing. Perhaps if the entire season proves to be a disaster then they'd reach an agreement to part ways. This isn't a team that's massively underperforming and the new coach would shake things up and get them into the playoffs.
Old 11-06-2018, 02:59 PM
Corellian Nerfherder

Quote:
Originally Posted by pulykamell View Post
Heard this at about 7:45 this morning, thanks to my NHL app. Wife picked up my phone after it buzzed and said something about Hawks getting new coach. Took me a few beats to process. "Wait, what? Like Blackhawks? Quenville's out?" "Yes, that's what the notification says.Some guy named Col..lit..ton is the coach now." What the fuck? Ten years, three Stanleys, and you're stuck with a skeleton of a team, why the fuck isn't Bowman out and not Coach Q?
Yeah, this one surprised me, too. They've not been good this year (and never really got things figured out after Crawford went down last year, either), but one might have thought that a coach who's delivered the success that Quenneville has would have gotten a longer leash.

I don't follow the NHL closely, but it's seemed like they've spent the past three-to-five years making some bad bets on which veterans to keep over time (other than Kane and Toews), versus which ones to let to go other teams in free agency. I agree, that should have been on Bowman's head, not Q's.

Last edited by kenobi 65; 11-06-2018 at 03:01 PM.
Old 11-06-2018, 05:47 PM
Charter Member

Quote:
Originally Posted by dalej42 View Post
I read a decent number of Chicago sports blogs and never seen any mention of an imminent firing. Perhaps if the entire season proves to be a disaster then they'd reach an agreement to part ways. This isn't a team that's massively underperforming and the new coach would shake things up and get them into the playoffs.
Yeah, that's the thing. I like sports a good bit, but I kind of passively follow them these days, as there's only so much mental space I have for it. But I haven't heard anything about Coach Q's job being in jeopardy. I mean, WTF is he supposed to do with this team? OK, they just had a skid, but I thought they were doing pretty well and even over performing. Ten games in and they had the seventh best record in the NHL, third in their conference, for a team that is supposed to do absolutely nothing this year. Nobody expects them to do anything this year. For the cards he was dealt, Q's been doing great. But Bowman and Q are known (or at least rumored) to have a bit of a contentious relationship. Unfortunately, the wrong one went.
Old 11-08-2018, 10:21 AM

Caps-Pens last night. Pens outplayed them in everything except the score.
Old 11-08-2018, 07:13 PM

After five losses in a row Jim Rutherford was pretty pissed last night, threatening roster moves if the Pens don't reverse things soon.
Old 11-08-2018, 11:08 PM

I'd have liked for Colliton to get a win but the Hurricanes just wouldn't give up a 4th goal (let alone a 5th, presumably).

Still, the Knights beat the Senators, pushing us a little closer to the .500 mark, so there's that.

Last edited by Snowboarder Bo; 11-08-2018 at 11:09 PM.
Old 11-09-2018, 07:40 AM
Friend of Cecil
Charter Member

Last week Jason Spezza (35 years old) played in his 1000 career game. Last night Joe Thornton (39 years old) played in his 1500th game. Half as many games again as Spezza. That is just amazing durability.
Old 11-12-2018, 11:32 AM

The Wild just finished their 7 game road trip 5-2. They played some pretty bad teams for most of it, but road wins is road wins. I'll take it.
Old Yesterday, 01:35 AM

Big congrats to all the Hall of Fame inductees tonight!
Quote:
Martin Brodeur, Willie O’Ree and NHL commissioner Gary Bettman led the latest group of inductees to the Hockey Hall of Fame on Monday night.

Brodeur, the all-time leader in goalie wins and shutouts, was joined in the player’s category by Martin St. Louis, Canadian women’s star Jayna Hefford and Russian great Alexander Yakushev. Bettman and O’Ree — the NHL’s first black player — went into the Hall as builders.
Willie O'Ree is a personal favorite hockey personality of mine, so I'm really glad to see him get in.
Quote:
Originally Posted by Willie O'Ree
All I wanted to be was a hockey player,” O’Ree said. “All I needed was the opportunity.
Old Yesterday, 04:13 AM
Charter Member

2 of those three belong in the Hall of Fame.
Old Yesterday, 05:01 PM

Arbitrator reduced Tom Wilson’s suspension from 20 games to 14 games. The arbitrator agreed with everything except the 3 times previous suspension calculation, using 2 times instead. In both calculations they counted playoff games as double.