Reply
 
Thread Tools Display Modes
  #51  
Old 11-09-2018, 01:11 PM
jz78817 jz78817 is offline
Member
 
Join Date: Aug 2010
Location: Under Oveur & over Unger
Posts: 11,659
Quote:
Originally Posted by justanothermike View Post
How has nobody recommended the Pontiac Fiero yet? Lol. For all I know they were great cars, but mid 80's cars weren't often super great.
the cars from the last model year ('88) with the V6 were fairly good, but any of them with the 4-cylinder (a cast iron lump known as the Iron Duke) were miserable.

but then again, it was conceived as a "sporty" commuter car, not a sports car. and as was typical for GM back then, by the time they got it right they killed it.

Last edited by jz78817; 11-09-2018 at 01:12 PM.
  #52  
Old 11-09-2018, 01:16 PM
FoieGrasIsEvil's Avatar
FoieGrasIsEvil FoieGrasIsEvil is offline
Member
 
Join Date: Jan 2008
Location: Land of Cheese Coneys
Posts: 17,580
Quote:
Originally Posted by jz78817 View Post
the cars from the last model year ('88) with the V6 were fairly good, but any of them with the 4-cylinder (a cast iron lump known as the Iron Duke) were miserable.

but then again, it was conceived as a "sporty" commuter car, not a sports car. and as was typical for GM back then, by the time they got it right they killed it.
It also was prone to engine fires...which makes it's name highly ironic.
  #53  
Old 11-09-2018, 01:36 PM
jz78817 jz78817 is offline
Member
 
Join Date: Aug 2010
Location: Under Oveur & over Unger
Posts: 11,659
Quote:
Originally Posted by FoieGrasIsEvil View Post
It also was prone to engine fires...which makes it's name highly ironic.
only the first year or two, and that was due to a large run of defective connecting rods which would break and "ventilate" the engine block.
  #54  
Old 11-09-2018, 01:38 PM
kenobi 65's Avatar
kenobi 65 kenobi 65 is offline
Corellian Nerfherder
 
Join Date: May 2000
Location: Brookfield, IL
Posts: 12,836
Quote:
Originally Posted by jz78817 View Post
the cars from the last model year ('88) with the V6 were fairly good, but any of them with the 4-cylinder (a cast iron lump known as the Iron Duke) were miserable.

but then again, it was conceived as a "sporty" commuter car, not a sports car. and as was typical for GM back then, by the time they got it right they killed it.
Also, it wasn't a convertible, which the OP would prefer.
  #55  
Old 11-09-2018, 02:17 PM
FoieGrasIsEvil's Avatar
FoieGrasIsEvil FoieGrasIsEvil is offline
Member
 
Join Date: Jan 2008
Location: Land of Cheese Coneys
Posts: 17,580
Quote:
Originally Posted by kenobi 65 View Post
Also, it wasn't a convertible, which the OP would prefer.
My friend in high school's mom had a gold 2M6 Fiero, she'd never let us drive it, ever. Also, there are a decent amount of convertible conversions out there.

I found this article, it's absolutely hilarious: https://jalopnik.com/this-1986-ponti...-ha-1675787691
  #56  
Old 11-09-2018, 02:37 PM
Doctor Jackson's Avatar
Doctor Jackson Doctor Jackson is offline
Guest
 
Join Date: Mar 1999
Location: Jawja
Posts: 9,850
When I was looking at for the same type vehicle as the OP, I researched and test drove an older RX-7 and a convertible Miata. I settled on...A 1st gen (1985 in my case) Nissan 300zx. I have now had 2, a non-turbo and a turbo. Get the turbo. The cars are a blast to drive, virtually zero turbo lag and love curves. They are also pretty darn dependable for a 30+ year old car. No convertible available, but driving with the T-tops off is pretty darn close.

In the words of a trusted mechanic friend of mine "A Miata is a sporty car, a 300ZX is a sports car."

Last edited by Doctor Jackson; 11-09-2018 at 02:38 PM.
  #57  
Old 11-09-2018, 03:13 PM
Dinsdale Dinsdale is offline
Guest
 
Join Date: May 2000
Posts: 17,354
Gotta repeat - anyone looking for a fun, unusual, cheap, dependable hobby car, really oughta at least check out Corvairs.

Sorry, just when I was looking for a fun hobby car, I was shocked at the quality of car you could get cheap. In fact, even tho I could afford considerably more, a LM would still be on my short list of classic cars I'd love to have.
__________________
I used to be disgusted.
Now I try to be amused.
  #58  
Old 11-09-2018, 03:37 PM
Penfeather's Avatar
Penfeather Penfeather is offline
Guest
 
Join Date: Aug 2013
Posts: 3,995
I've got a '91 MX5, the original model, before they starting dicking with the styling and they got plump and unwieldy. They're reliable, cheap to run, parts are easy to find, and they can't be beat for sheer fun on a winding road and a sunny day, when the roof is down and you're playing Gaslight Anthem loudly and chopping through the gears. I used to own a 1966 MkII Triumph Spitfire, and while it was a pretty little car, it was for people who liked speding weekends with grease under their fingernails: a joy when it was working, a chore when it wasn't. The MX5/Miata is basically a 60s British sportster for people who like their cars to start in the morning. Make sure you spring out for the hardtop, though.
  #59  
Old 11-09-2018, 04:43 PM
Philliam Philliam is offline
Guest
 
Join Date: Mar 2010
Location: Upper Left Coast
Posts: 556
Quote:
Originally Posted by harmonicamoon View Post
Thank you for the photo. Brings back good times.

I was traveling over 140 MPH in Nevada. In those days Nevada had no speed limit. That rascal loved the curves. The highway patrol stopped me. Only to say, "I would like nothing better than to scrape you off the pavement".

Didn't think that was a very Christian thing to say.
As much as I always admired the styling & muscular stance of the TR4 / TR5 (and the 'Americanized' TR250), I fear that 140+ mph in a TR250 is a bit outside the realm of possibility. It should take (cube-rule approximation) about 2.2 times the horsepower to reach 140 mph over the listed top speed of the TR250 (107 mph). I imagine that any speed over the ton was a total hoot in the TR, but 140+ ? Cable-driven speedometers were very optimistic at high speed so that may be a part of the story.
  #60  
Old 11-09-2018, 06:14 PM
harmonicamoon harmonicamoon is offline
Guest
 
Join Date: Sep 2012
Location: Yucatan, Mexico
Posts: 2,868
Quote:
Originally Posted by Philliam View Post
As much as I always admired the styling & muscular stance of the TR4 / TR5 (and the 'Americanized' TR250), I fear that 140+ mph in a TR250 is a bit outside the realm of possibility. It should take (cube-rule approximation) about 2.2 times the horsepower to reach 140 mph over the listed top speed of the TR250 (107 mph). I imagine that any speed over the ton was a total hoot in the TR, but 140+ ? Cable-driven speedometers were very optimistic at high speed so that may be a part of the story.
Thank you for the math. And you maybe correct. It was a long time ago. And the fish always get larger with each tale.

But the NHP did stop me.
  #61  
Old 11-09-2018, 07:00 PM
epbrown01 epbrown01 is offline
Guest
 
Join Date: Oct 2012
Posts: 3,603
Quote:
Originally Posted by Joey P View Post
Can you still get parts for Pontiacs or Saturns. I don't know enough about them to know if the use the same parts as other GM cars or you're going to be digging through scrapyards every time you need a new window regulator or headlight lens.
Mechanicals are fine as the engines were in lots of GMs; the hassle will be body parts as the cars get older.
  #62  
Old 11-09-2018, 07:11 PM
filmore filmore is offline
Guest
 
Join Date: Aug 2002
Posts: 4,086
If you're wondering about the availability of used parts, check the local pick-and-pull salvage yards in your area. Most of them will have a website where they list the inventory of cars they have. It'll give you a sense of how easy it would be to find the right scrapped car. There's also the nationwide Car-Part.com site that shows parts from all over the country.
  #63  
Old 11-09-2018, 07:27 PM
seal_cleaner seal_cleaner is offline
Guest
 
Join Date: Mar 2001
Location: Northwest Arkansas
Posts: 2,076
Quote:
Originally Posted by kenobi 65 View Post
Tis a very pretty car, indeed (pic here). It looks like that one year was 1968.
My dad had a TR-4. It was great. TR-3 also good, but not as dependable. My brother had a bugeye Sprite. Loved that car.
  #64  
Old 11-09-2018, 10:54 PM
Gatopescado's Avatar
Gatopescado Gatopescado is offline
Guest
 
Join Date: Aug 2001
Location: on your last raw nerve
Posts: 20,368
Quote:
Originally Posted by Dinsdale View Post
No way under $5k in any kind of drivable shape.
Had no idea. I just sold a rusty BMW e10 for $4k and am regretting it. Should have got six.
  #65  
Old 11-10-2018, 07:01 AM
FoieGrasIsEvil's Avatar
FoieGrasIsEvil FoieGrasIsEvil is offline
Member
 
Join Date: Jan 2008
Location: Land of Cheese Coneys
Posts: 17,580
My Dad bought a Triumph Spitfire in the late 1970's as a "Hawaii car". It was British Green and he had it repainted in canary yellow. I was like 8 at the time and dubbed the car the "Yellowbird".

Cool car. I remember riding in the Yellowbird on my Grandpa's lap while my Dad drove. We were on our way to Aloha Stadium to see the Pro Bowl.We sat right behind Russ Francis.
  #66  
Old 11-10-2018, 09:02 AM
Crafter_Man's Avatar
Crafter_Man Crafter_Man is offline
Guest
 
Join Date: Apr 1999
Location: Ohio
Posts: 11,048
A neighbor was selling his 2002 Porche Boxster for $6000. He's owned it for many years. I took it for a test drive. It was O.K., but I didn't end up buying it because:

1) I asked him a question about the type of oil it used. He said, "Well, uh, I'm not really sure what kind of oil it uses..." I took this as a red flag. I was expecting a response along the lines, "Oh yes, I only use X oil, and I change it [or have it changed] religiously every Y miles."

2) I figured I would end up dead if I were in a front-end collision.

3) I don't have the space to have a "fun-driving summer car." Being rear-wheel drive, I bet it sucks in the winter.
  #67  
Old 11-10-2018, 10:03 AM
jz78817 jz78817 is offline
Member
 
Join Date: Aug 2010
Location: Under Oveur & over Unger
Posts: 11,659
Quote:
Originally Posted by Crafter_Man View Post
A neighbor was selling his 2002 Porche Boxster for $6000. He's owned it for many years. I took it for a test drive. It was O.K., but I didn't end up buying it because:

1) I asked him a question about the type of oil it used. He said, "Well, uh, I'm not really sure what kind of oil it uses..." I took this as a red flag. I was expecting a response along the lines, "Oh yes, I only use X oil, and I change it [or have it changed] religiously every Y miles."

2) I figured I would end up dead if I were in a front-end collision.

3) I don't have the space to have a "fun-driving summer car." Being rear-wheel drive, I bet it sucks in the winter.
checking/filling the power steering fluid level is a 32-step process.

no joke.
  #68  
Old 11-10-2018, 01:49 PM
Pork Rind's Avatar
Pork Rind Pork Rind is offline
Charter Member
 
Join Date: Jan 2001
Location: Santa Barbara
Posts: 2,372
Quote:
Originally Posted by Crafter_Man View Post
2) I figured I would end up dead if I were in a front-end collision.
Safety in a head-on collision is a factor of crumple space, which is an engineered function of the body/frame, not simply just having an engine in front of you. In fact, having the motor in front is a challenge to work around as the designers have to figure out where it goes in a crash, with the wrong answer being “in your lap.”
  #69  
Old 11-10-2018, 02:17 PM
jz78817 jz78817 is offline
Member
 
Join Date: Aug 2010
Location: Under Oveur & over Unger
Posts: 11,659
Quote:
Originally Posted by Pork Rind View Post
Safety in a head-on collision is a factor of crumple space, which is an engineered function of the body/frame, not simply just having an engine in front of you. In fact, having the motor in front is a challenge to work around as the designers have to figure out where it goes in a crash, with the wrong answer being “in your lap.”
to clarify, the powerpack (engine/trans) is typically designed to "drop" so it doesn't go crashing through the firewall. IIRC usually done by the engine cradle/crossmember breaking free of the "subframe" rails as they crumple.
Reply

Bookmarks

Thread Tools
Display Modes

Posting Rules
You may not post new threads
You may not post replies
You may not post attachments
You may not edit your posts

BB code is On
Smilies are On
[IMG] code is Off
HTML code is Off

Forum Jump


All times are GMT -5. The time now is 11:51 PM.

Powered by vBulletin® Version 3.8.7
Copyright ©2000 - 2018, vBulletin Solutions, Inc.

Send questions for Cecil Adams to: cecil@straightdope.com

Send comments about this website to: webmaster@straightdope.com

Terms of Use / Privacy Policy

Advertise on the Straight Dope!
(Your direct line to thousands of the smartest, hippest people on the planet, plus a few total dipsticks.)

Copyright © 2018 STM Reader, LLC.

 
Copyright © 2017