Old 01-15-2019, 04:06 PM

Quote:
Originally Posted by GreysonCarlisle View Post
You'll notice that I didn't say that I threw away my TV.
I see. You're angry that the Roku software allows infowars to be seen. So have you stopped using Chrome (or Edge or Firefox or whatever browser you're using) because it allows the infowars web site to be seen?
Old 01-15-2019, 04:07 PM

Quote:
Originally Posted by markn+ View Post
I see. You're angry that the Roku software allows infowars to be seen. So have you stopped using Chrome (or Edge or Firefox or whatever browser you're using) because it allows the infowars web site to be seen?
I have no interest in arguing nonsense. Bye now.
Old 01-15-2019, 04:39 PM

Quote:
Originally Posted by markn+ View Post
I think the issue is that InfoWars is listed in the Roku channel listing. Roku isn't like a browser where you point it at some random address and it displays what is presented. Roku has some criteria for channels to be added to the official list that Roku users can find in the Search feature of the Roku box. It is possible to add unofficial channels to your Roku, but that is a manual step.

A browser analogy would be if InfoWars came up as one of the official tiled sites in the New Tab screen on a fresh install. It's one thing if you manualy enter the InfoWars url as a bookmark, but it's different if Chrome ships with an InfoWars bookmark built in.

By allowing InfoWars to be easily searchable from the Roku interface, it means it's much easier for InfoWars to find an audience. Although some savvy users could add it manually, most customers would give up if InfoWars did not return any search results.
Old 01-15-2019, 04:44 PM
Charter Member

Quote:
Originally Posted by drad dog View Post
I had a thread like this. I never cut the cord for this reason: I am addicted to the 24 hour news cycle. If there is a way to have my cake and eat it I'd love to know.
Go ahead and cut it. A television is the WORST possible device for finding out about important things that are going on in the world.
Old 01-15-2019, 05:24 PM

Netflix is raising their rates about $2/month:
https://www.nbcnewyork.com/news/loca...504370401.html
Old 01-15-2019, 07:18 PM

Roku has reconsidered:

"After the InfoWars channel became available, we heard from concerned parties and have determined that the channel should be removed from our platform. Deletion from the channel store and platform has begun and will be completed shortly."
Old 01-15-2019, 07:57 PM
Charter Member

Damn! Even before I had a chance to RO about this all over Twitter.
Old 01-15-2019, 09:34 PM

Quote:
Originally Posted by filmore View Post
I think the issue is that InfoWars is listed in the Roku channel listing. Roku isn't like a browser where you point it at some random address and it displays what is presented. Roku has some criteria for channels to be added to the official list that Roku users can find in the Search feature of the Roku box. It is possible to add unofficial channels to your Roku, but that is a manual step.

A browser analogy would be if InfoWars came up as one of the official tiled sites in the New Tab screen on a fresh install. It's one thing if you manualy enter the InfoWars url as a bookmark, but it's different if Chrome ships with an InfoWars bookmark built in.

By allowing InfoWars to be easily searchable from the Roku interface, it means it's much easier for InfoWars to find an audience. Although some savvy users could add it manually, most customers would give up if InfoWars did not return any search results.
You're right. I had actually incorrectly thought that infowars was a private Roku channel, not a public one.
Old 01-15-2019, 09:40 PM

Quote:
Originally Posted by Chefguy View Post
I'd swap the landline over to AT&T (who I'm also paying for iPad connection), but want to keep my current number. Now that I think of it, I'm probably over $400/mo for all the damn electronic connections and services. It's insane.
If the landline number is local (I can't imagine it isn't), then you should be able to swap it to any company. Call them up and say you want to port your number over to their service.
Old 01-15-2019, 10:34 PM

Quote:
I'll have to check it out. We don't use smart phones, so landline is how people reach us. We do have basic flip phones with AT&T, but don't generally give out those numbers. I'd swap the landline over to AT&T (who I'm also paying for iPad connection), but want to keep my current number. Now that I think of it, I'm probably over $400/mo for all the damn electronic connections and services. It's insane.
You can still have a "home" phone without it being a land line. When our kids were younger and everyone knew our land line number we moved to a flip phone (cellular) that sat on a charger in the same place and with the same number as our old land line. The kids could also take it if they needed a phone for some reason and we could confuse the heck out of my mom when we went on vacation and told her to just call the home number if she needed us . This was about 15 years ago so I'm pretty sure you could do the same. Plus it tied into our other cell plans and had unlimited talk and long distance so it cost maybe $10 extra per month over our cell plan way back then. $400 is about 4 times what it sounds like you should be spending.

To address the OP. A hint I stumbled upon is I got an Amazon Fire Replay (OTA DVR) and put it in a guest room on the second floor. I put the antenna in a window with a clear "line of sight" to the broadcast antennas. There isn't even a TV in that room, but I can stream the OTA signal to all of my TV's... even the ones in the basement that couldn't get a good signal with an antenna down there.

We have a basement bar/game room with 2 Big TV's (50" and 65") and we can watch pretty much what you would see in a sports bar using a combo of Sling TV and OTA (through the DVR).
Old 01-15-2019, 11:21 PM

If you find yourself on the wrong team, after cutting the cord... say, you subscribe to Netflix, but really like Game of Thrones... head on over to rabb.it, it's a nifty little site where you can form and join viewing rooms. Join a Game of Thrones room or watch whatever other people have access to.

Especially fun for big sporting events.
Old 01-16-2019, 10:13 AM

The OP might be able to get the Time Warner/HBO content like Game of Thrones with DirectTV now. He also might be able to bundle that with his internet.
Old 01-16-2019, 01:53 PM

Quote:
Originally Posted by Tangent View Post
If you own any blu-rays, check the case to see if they include a code for a digital version of the movie. You can sign up for an account on the appropriate services (Ultraviolet, VUDU, etc.) and then stream the movies any time through the VUDU app on a Roku or other streaming device.
Quoting myself to add some info I learned recently. This applies to movies bought on disc (either DVD or Blu-ray) that did not include a digital version with the purchase. VUDU has a Disc-to-Digital program that allows you to purchase digital copies of movies you already own on disc, at a price that is generally much lower than purchasing the digital copy alone. It works with DVDs and Blu-rays, and it's $2 per movie to get the same definition (SD for DVDs, HD for Blu-rays) or $5 to upgrade a DVD to an HD digital copy. VUDU has a mobile app for this that lets you just scan the barcode of the disk box and pay the fee. There is a desktop app, too. Not all movies are available, and there is a limit of 100 conversions per year. I have ripped a lot of my DVDs to digital myself and use PLEX to view them, but I don't have a blu-ray drive and this is a quick, inexpensive option for getting digital copies of some of my old blu-rays.
Old 01-16-2019, 01:54 PM
Charter Member

Quote:
Originally Posted by Bruce Wayne View Post
The OP might be able to get the Time Warner/HBO content like Game of Thrones with DirectTV now. He also might be able to bundle that with his internet.
Thanks! However, this thread is a year old and I've long-past done this.
Old 01-16-2019, 02:10 PM

Quote:
Originally Posted by JohnT View Post
Thanks! However, this thread is a year old and I've long-past done this.
What did you wind up doing? Still DirecTVin'? Any advice for the newest crop of cord-cutters?
Old 01-16-2019, 02:20 PM
Charter Member

Just got $40 internet via Spectrum. Have Hulu via my phone plan, Netflix, and Amazon Prime. Oh, and a HD antenna for the local stations.

Since Prime is something we purchase for the shipping and have had since they offered it, my total cost is now $53/month. When Hulu goes paid, I'll likely drop it.

I use a Roku ($40?) to control all this.
Old 01-17-2019, 10:35 AM

Quote:
Originally Posted by Tangent View Post
Quoting myself to add some info I learned recently. This applies to movies bought on disc (either DVD or Blu-ray) that did not include a digital version with the purchase. VUDU has a Disc-to-Digital program that allows you to purchase digital copies of movies you already own on disc, at a price that is generally much lower than purchasing the digital copy alone. It works with DVDs and Blu-rays, and it's $2 per movie to get the same definition (SD for DVDs, HD for Blu-rays) or $5 to upgrade a DVD to an HD digital copy. VUDU has a mobile app for this that lets you just scan the barcode of the disk box and pay the fee. There is a desktop app, too. Not all movies are available, and there is a limit of 100 conversions per year. I have ripped a lot of my DVDs to digital myself and use PLEX to view them, but I don't have a blu-ray drive and this is a quick, inexpensive option for getting digital copies of some of my old blu-rays.
This sounds pretty cool, thanks!
Old 01-17-2019, 11:20 AM

Quote:
$140/month? Hell, you're getting off easy. Comcast is raping me for about $230/mo. I need to dump some premium channels and HD, cuz upwards of $3,000/year for fucking TV/internet/phone is ridiculous.
Quote:
Originally Posted by pulykamell View Post
Same here. I was reviewing my accounts last month and couldn't believe cable & internet had gotten up to $250/mo with all the taxes and fees. (ETA: Sorry. $235/mo looking at the last bill. And we don't even get HBO or Showtime or any of that!)
Wow. I live in SE Indiana (Cincinnati suburb) and am on the edge of Comcast's service. I pay $140 a month for HD cable, landline phone and 300Mbs internet speeds, along with their router that has both 2.4ghz and 5.0ghz wireless.