Old 06-20-2017, 02:27 AM
Charter Member

Renewed and Cancelled

I just saw a list announcing which television series have been renewed or cancelled for next season.

http://www.cheatsheet.com/entertainm...tml/?a=viewall

Grey's Anatomy is still on the air? Didn't everybody leave that show?
Old 06-20-2017, 02:44 AM
Charter Member

Quote:
Originally Posted by Little Nemo View Post
I just saw a list announcing which television series have been renewed or cancelled for next season.

List wasn't very comprehensive (West World was renewed and it wasn't mentioned) but it does make me think there are a lot of shows I need to check out. Which is good since summer is coming up.

Thanks for posting.
Old 06-20-2017, 05:09 AM

Yay! Drunk History was renewed! I can't believe Criminal Minds is coming back, though. Isn't it time to put that show out of its misery? I used to watch if for laughs, but it's not even funny anymore.
Old 06-20-2017, 05:36 AM
Charter Member

Quote:
Originally Posted by RivkahChaya View Post
Yay! Drunk History was renewed! I can't believe Criminal Minds is coming back, though. Isn't it time to put that show out of its misery? I used to watch if for laughs, but it's not even funny anymore.
Holy crap! There's another DH fan on this board besides me!

I fucking LOVE that show!
Old 06-20-2017, 06:55 AM
Charter Member

They have "Elementary" listed under NBC. Is it moving or did they just list it under the wrong network?
Old 06-20-2017, 07:17 AM

TV By The Numbers does a much better job.

(I thought this thread was going to be about TV shows that were renewed but quickly canceled. E.g., Vinyl on HBO. Announced renewed for a second season but then killed before production on it started.)
Old 06-20-2017, 07:52 AM

Quote:
Originally Posted by Grrr! View Post

I like Drunk History, I wouldn't say love it, but I do enjoy it enough to have programmed it on my DVR.

I'm happy the Good Place got renewed, but sad it is only 13 episodes.
Old 06-20-2017, 07:57 AM

Quote:
Originally Posted by Grrr! View Post

4 out of 5 Indrians agree, it's a great show. The fifth is going to be a dick about things.

I can't believe Law & Order: SVU is still on the tube. I caught a few episodes of this for the first time recently and it was the most beyond preposterous, disjointed mess I've ever seen on TV. It's like the writers weren't even trying!
Old 06-20-2017, 08:12 AM

Quote:
I think the question was raised this year, after the loss of two stars, as to whether it would be renewed. It was, but I suspect that the question will be raised next year....
Old 06-20-2017, 09:10 AM

Quote:
Originally Posted by Gatopescado View Post
I can't believe Law & Order: SVU is still on the tube. I caught a few episodes of this for the first time recently and it was the most beyond preposterous, disjointed mess I've ever seen on TV. It's like the writers weren't even trying!
It's more like they take bets on what they can actually get away with.

It used to be a good show, and has had some really outstanding episodes through the 6th season or so. All I can think is that Dick Wolf wants it to limp over the 20 year mark, like L&O: TOS (one of the greatest shows ever). But SVU has never measured up to TOS. SVU moralizes; TOS never did, and yet, TOS had a soul or something, that SVU lacks. SVU isn't as uneven as CI was, so at least you know what you are getting when you tune in, but even the early years, when it was pretty decent, aren't terribly rewatchable, which TOS is, and that's saying a lot for a cop drama.

I'll bet if Paget Brewster hadn't come back, Criminal Minds would have been cancelled. Whatever she gets paid, it's not enough.
Old 06-20-2017, 09:47 AM
Charter Member
Charter Member

Neither link in this thread mentions that TruTV show Adam Ruins Everything got a second season, which starts July 11th.
Old 06-20-2017, 10:21 AM

Quote:

I don't know about the cast of Grey's, but I left it several years ago 😊.
Old 06-20-2017, 10:44 AM
Charter Member

Quote:
Originally Posted by Czarcasm View Post
Neither link in this thread mentions that TruTV show Adam Ruins Everything got a second season, which starts July 11th.
Adam Ruins Everything already had a second season, which sucked. The first season ran from September to December 2015. The second season went from August through December 2016. IMDb is all screwed up. If you click on Season 1 they mush all those together with no episode numbering, but lists the upcoming season episodes as 201, 202 etc., which is baffling. But whatever is starting in July will be season 3.
Old 06-20-2017, 10:51 AM

Quote:
"Grey's of Our Lives" (did I just make that up ?) is still chugging. My SO is still a big fan. I used to watch, but now I can only watch until the first ridiculous storyline comes along...about 5 minutes ("...the helicopter decapitated her, but I think we can save the baby....even though her husband is infertile and doesn't want it !!!")

By my count, I think only 4 of the original "core" cast are still around:
- Meredith. I'm thinking they're waiting for her (adopted) daughter to become an intern, and then the circle will have be complete.
- Bailey. The Sondra Rhimes character (can never leave the show)
- Dr. Weber
- Kerev (sp ?)
Old 06-20-2017, 12:39 PM

Quote:
Originally Posted by Shoeless View Post
They have "Elementary" listed under NBC. Is it moving or did they just list it under the wrong network?
It should be CBS still as far as I can tell.
Old 06-20-2017, 12:40 PM

I wish "Blindspot" would go away. Far away.
Old 06-20-2017, 01:11 PM

Hell's Kitchen renewed? Really?!?

That's one show where if you've seen one, you really have seen them all. Way past the time to stop, since we already have a lifetime's supply of episodes.
Old 06-21-2017, 07:36 AM

Retain the garbage. Dump the good shows. Been that way for my whole life
Old 06-21-2017, 10:26 AM
Charter Member

Quote:
Originally Posted by Patx2 View Post
I don't know about the cast of Grey's, but I left it several years ago 😊.
Maybe it's petty of me but I'm amused to see that Katherine Heigl, who left the series because she didn't feel it as good enough for somebody with her talent, has now found new work. Doing commercials. For kitty litter.
Old 06-21-2017, 11:31 AM

Cancel good shows with mediocre ratings, keep bad ones.

Cancel marginal shows, replace with ones that do even worse. (Fox's Friday nights during basically the entire run of X-Files).

Create good show, run episodes out of order.
Old 06-21-2017, 11:59 AM
Just Lovely and Delicious
Charter Member

Surprised Scorpion has lasted this long, but even more surprised that I keep watching it and enjoying it.

I hope Elementary gets some better writing. I love love love JLM's portrayal but the mysteries are so boring.

Bob's Burgers, The Middle, Brooklyn Nine-Nine, The Goldbergs
are all amazing. Speechless is pretty good, but more important than good.

Lots of awesome shows on cable/streaming being renewed. Too many to mention. Very happy about all of them.

Nothing too shocking on the Cancelled list. I watched Dr. Ken, that came to a conclusion. The Great Indoors was blaringly trite (Stephen Fry, why??). Loved the idea of Powerless and some of the acting was great but it just never got rolling. The Odd Couple was great except for Matthew Perry, the star. I was in to Pitch but it got a little soap-opera-y. The Real O'Neals was ok but it shoulda been more like Earl and wasn't. The Knick was cool but they seemed to run out of material. Rosewood and Impastor were awful, good riddance. The Get Down was great but it seemed like a miniseries. Didn't need to play itself out.
Old 06-21-2017, 12:00 PM

Quote:
Maybe it's petty of me but I'm amused to see that Katherine Heigl, who left the series because she didn't feel it as good enough for somebody with her talent, has now found new work. Doing commercials. For kitty litter.

I noticed that too, and I don't mean to get your thread off topic, but I vaguely remembering seeing somewhere that either she or her manager are nearly impossible to work with.
Old 06-21-2017, 12:15 PM

I think it's both (she and her manager).
Old 06-21-2017, 01:53 PM

Quote:
Originally Posted by Patx2 View Post
I noticed that too, and I don't mean to get your thread off topic, but I vaguely remembering seeing somewhere that either she or her manager are nearly impossible to work with.
For a good while there her mom was her manager. And she's a classic nasty stage mother. The daughter inherited many of her characteristics.

It wasn't so much that she thought Grey's Anatomy was a poor show, but that it was TV (where she wasn't the lead) and megastardom in movies was going to happen. In fact, she had just peaked as a movie actress. Smart move.

Her most recent attempt at returning to TV lasted two episodes.
Old 06-21-2017, 02:16 PM
Charter Member

The only show on that list that I watched with regularity was Good Girls Revolt. I really enjoyed it. Shame it ended up on the chopping block, but that was known several months ago and they were shopping it around elsewhere.

Last edited by pulykamell; 06-21-2017 at 02:16 PM.
Old 06-21-2017, 03:02 PM
Charter Member

I don't know about Heigl's mother but it's no secret Heigl is difficult. She seems to feel she's better than the people she's working with, that she's entitled to better projects, and that there's no reason for her to hide these beliefs.

Most people, looking at the situation from the outside, would say that Heigl is nothing special. There are hundreds of other actresses in Hollywood who can do what she does. Plenty of those other actresses would consider themselves lucky if they landed a role in a hit television series or a hit movie and certainly not complain about it. So it's no surprise that people began casting those other actresses rather than Heigl.

Last edited by Little Nemo; 06-21-2017 at 03:02 PM.
Old 06-25-2017, 02:26 PM

I'm sad that The Catch was cancelled. I always thought it would be a limited series but it was crazy watchable and the two leads had incredible chemistry. I think they could've eked out one more season.
Old 06-25-2017, 03:19 PM

Quote:
It used to be a good show, and has had some really outstanding episodes through the 6th season or so. All I can think is that Dick Wolf wants it to limp over the 20 year mark, like L&O: TOS (one of the greatest shows ever).
I think there's a trivia question in there somewhere. Steven Zirnkilton has been on prime time network TV for 27 years, and counting; who is he?
Old 06-25-2017, 03:22 PM

Quote:
Originally Posted by Robot Arm View Post
I think there's a trivia question in there somewhere. Steven Zirnkilton has been on prime time network TV for 27 years, and counting; who is he?
He's the guy who says "In the criminal justice system...."
Old 06-25-2017, 03:37 PM

Quote:
He's the guy who says "In the criminal justice system...."
Yep, did the opening voice over for all the L&O shows. I sure hope he got paid by the episode, with residuals.