Old 02-12-2015, 06:19 PM

Why weren't the gnomes fleeing for their lives from the eldritch abomination in question?
Old 02-12-2015, 07:26 PM
Sith Mod

Quote:
Originally Posted by John DiFool View Post
Why weren't the gnomes fleeing for their lives from the eldritch abomination in question?
They were, but with those short little legs, it takes a while.
Old 02-12-2015, 07:40 PM

They're NPC's. Plot fodder.

Cute adorable plot fodder. Where's the sexy shoeless god of war when we need him? When's he going to break out the mini dino in his pocket and strike a rock album cover on Crystals ass?
Old 02-13-2015, 02:05 AM
BANNED

So if Crystal Golem can force Haley to land by murdering gnomes, why not force her to stand and fight by murdering gnomes?
Old 02-13-2015, 02:12 AM
Charter Member

I'm not sure Crystal is capable of making that connection. It struck me as just a temper tantrum that happened to have the desired effect. Her focus is Haley, and she's going to lumber towards her like the Juggernaut if she has the chance.
Old 02-13-2015, 02:25 AM
Charter Member

"The wise are instructed by reason, average minds by experience, the stupid by necessity and the brute by instinct." - Cicero

FrankenCrystal is doing pretty well when she rises to the level of stupid. Mostly she operates on command and rage.
Old 02-13-2015, 08:00 AM
Charter Member

As long as the thread is currently active.

I picked up the latest book a couple of days ago and reread the current arc. I stand by an earlier prediction I've made - Roy is going to face consequences because of concealing Belkar's prophecy. Yukyuk was a foreshadowing of this. At some point Roy is going to be confronted with the realization that what he is doing is immoral.

Speaking of Roy and consequences, Burlew explicitly says that Roy will be dealing with consequences in the future for destroying Girard's Gate. No details, of course, on where or when this will happen or what those consequences will be.

Burlew also explained one of his previous cryptic hints about future plot points. In his last book, Burlew said that the next book would have somebody drinking a beverage. It was said in a joking manner as if it was a prediction of a trivial event. But a lot of people (including me) felt that Burlew was cunningly predicting an important future event in an off-handed manner. So every time a character drank something, we searched for a hidden meaning.

It turns out we were right. The beverage drinking was a major event. But many readers (again including me) missed it when it happened. Burlew came clean and explained that the beverage drinking scene he had predicted in his previous book was Malack vampirizing Durkon.
Old 02-13-2015, 09:48 AM

Quote:
Originally Posted by Little Nemo View Post
Speaking of Roy and consequences, Burlew explicitly says that Roy will be dealing with consequences in the future for destroying Girard's Gate. No details, of course, on where or when this will happen or what those consequences will be.
So spending the last N years on a quest to save the world isn't dealing with the consequences?
Old 02-13-2015, 09:59 AM

Is it me, or is there a grey coloring the area around the golem?

Does this indicate some kind of aura, or protection spell?
Old 02-13-2015, 12:41 PM
Charter Member

Quote:
Originally Posted by Finagle View Post
So spending the last N years on a quest to save the world isn't dealing with the consequences?
The last N years? The entire story has been set within the span of two years. And Roy destroyed the gate four days ago (in story time).
Old 02-13-2015, 12:57 PM

Quote:
Originally Posted by mlees View Post
Is it me, or is there a grey coloring the area around the golem?

Does this indicate some kind of aura, or protection spell?
I think those are just artistic movement and 'bonk' swipes, not any kind of spell.
Old 02-13-2015, 01:15 PM

Quote:
The last N years? The entire story has been set within the span of two years. And Roy destroyed the gate four days ago (in story time).
Ah, I thought he meant the first gate. After you blow up two or three cosmic barriers, one tends to lose track of who erected which one.
Old 02-13-2015, 01:40 PM

Quote:
Haven't we already seen consequences? Laurin nearly getting Snarl-zapped (and some nameless guards less lucky)? So if the Snarl is already aware of the open Gates, it seems likely that the Order's work won't be done with merely stopping Xykon/Redcloak.
Old 02-13-2015, 02:18 PM
Charter Member

Quote:
Originally Posted by Jophiel View Post
Haven't we already seen consequences? Laurin nearly getting Snarl-zapped (and some nameless guards less lucky)? So if the Snarl is already aware of the open Gates, it seems likely that the Order's work won't be done with merely stopping Xykon/Redcloak.
That happened to Laurin so it wasn't really a consequence for Roy.

Here's what Burlew wrote:
Quote:
It was crucial this time around for Roy to destroy the Gate by his own hand, with no accidents or misunderstandings or wacky hijinks. He took responsibility for all the unknown variables - including those that Vaarsuvius was yelling about down below - then rolled up his proverbial sleeves and did the deed himself. The consequences hereafter must fall squarely on his shoulders, as the hero of the story. We'll start to see some of those in the next book, I guess.
Burlew seems to be making a point of Roy's awareness of what he was doing. And there has been a progression in the destruction of the Gates. Redcloak destroyed the first one by accident. Elan destroyed the second one intentionally but he had no idea what he was destroying. Miko destroyed the third one intentionally and was aware the Gate was important but only had a limited awareness of what the Gate was doing. So Roy is the first person who destroyed a Gate in full awareness of that he was risking all of existence by doing so. But even Roy (and we readers) are not yet aware of the full truth behind the Gates and the Snarl. So maybe the destruction of the fifth and final Gate will be done by somebody who really understands what he's doing. (And Burlew has shown he actually does plot out his future story lines in this detail.)
Old 02-19-2015, 11:57 PM
Charter Member

About a new comic, but there's no new comic!

Just finished reading the Therkla side story from the Kickstarter program. Both hilarious and poignant.

SPOILER:
  • The fetch quest line was, of course, very amusing.
  • I can't believe I didn't get the Mik Guh Fan joke until the end with the symbol on it.
  • And I just now got the "resisting poisons" tragic irony.
  • Though the realization about the death prophecy was pretty clever.
  • And I just now got the "hope nobody sees it coming" line. VERY clever.

That's the mark of a great writer: there was just so much I didn't realize until a second consideration.

Perhaps more as I think about it when I have time.

Last edited by Leaper; 02-19-2015 at 11:57 PM. Reason: Should really close the spoiler tag...
Old 02-20-2015, 12:36 AM

Quote:
That happened to Laurin so it wasn't really a consequence for Roy
What I meant was that we saw a new loose end as a direct result of Roy's decision. No matter what, the story now doesn't end with beating up Xykon and going home. What Roy did has story-changing consequences and Laurin's fate is just a symptom of that.

Last edited by Jophiel; 02-20-2015 at 12:38 AM.
Old 02-20-2015, 02:29 AM
Charter Member

Quote:
Originally Posted by Leaper View Post
SPOILER:
[*]I can't believe I didn't get the Mik Guh Fan joke until the end with the symbol on it.

SPOILER:
I only understood mik-guh-fan = mac-guf-fin when it was explained on the OOTS forum, but what does the symbol mean?
Old 02-20-2015, 03:04 AM
Charter Member

Quote:
Originally Posted by Peter Morris View Post
SPOILER:
I only understood mik-guh-fan = mac-guf-fin when it was explained on the OOTS forum, but what does the symbol mean?
SPOILER:
It's the logo of Alfred Hitchcock Presents, relevant for obvious reasons.

ETA: Wait, I just realized that under these circumstances with this question, maybe it's not so obvious. Hitchcock popularized the term.

Last edited by Leaper; 02-20-2015 at 03:05 AM.
Old 02-20-2015, 05:07 AM
Domo Arigato Mister Moderato

I got the email but can't open the damn thing. I keep getting an 'invalid registry' message when I click on the file.
Old 02-20-2015, 06:42 AM
Charter Member

Quote:
Originally Posted by Leaper View Post
SPOILER:
It's the logo of Alfred Hitchcock Presents, relevant for obvious reasons.

ETA: Wait, I just realized that under these circumstances with this question, maybe it's not so obvious. Hitchcock popularized the term.
Old 02-20-2015, 09:55 AM
Charter Member

I have to say, I loved seeing more of Sangwaan, as she's one of my favorite minor characters.
Old 02-24-2015, 05:53 PM
Charter Member

New Strip # 976
Old 02-24-2015, 05:59 PM
Isaiah 1:15/Screw the NRA
Charter Member

"Let's do that one."
Old 02-24-2015, 06:05 PM

Haha! I liked this one. "Money!"

Does anyone else think it constitutes a small amount of character growth for Haley, that she just hastily tossed a huge sack of gold as payment? It obviously doesn't service the strip as well, but I'd have expected her to pay exactly the right amount from reflex, or make a note to come back and settle the debt after dispatching Crystal.
Old 02-24-2015, 06:56 PM
BANNED

Quote:
Originally Posted by oft wears hats View Post
Haha! I liked this one. "Money!"

Does anyone else think it constitutes a small amount of character growth for Haley, that she just hastily tossed a huge sack of gold as payment? It obviously doesn't service the strip as well, but I'd have expected her to pay exactly the right amount from reflex, or make a note to come back and settle the debt after dispatching Crystal.
At least it shows she is developing a better sense of priorities.

Say, if they have weapons that can harm a golem now, why didn't they cut its head off?
Old 02-24-2015, 07:18 PM

Quote:
Originally Posted by BrainGlutton View Post
Say, if they have weapons that can harm a golem now, why didn't they cut its head off?
Because hacking through a spine is harder than poking or slashing at softer tissue.
Old 02-24-2015, 07:20 PM
Sith Mod

Quote:

Because that would kill it, and it clearly has way too many hit points to die yet.
Old 02-24-2015, 07:23 PM

Quote:
Does anyone else think it constitutes a small amount of character growth for Haley, that she just hastily tossed a huge sack of gold as payment? It obviously doesn't service the strip as well, but I'd have expected her to pay exactly the right amount from reflex
This is Haley we're talking about; she probably did pay exactly the right amount.
Old 02-24-2015, 07:37 PM

The right amount for a couple of adamantine weapons was enough for the merchant couple to settle their debts and retire to the tropics?

Can we get a D&D expert to weigh in on that? I have no idea how much adamantine weapons are supposed to cost.
Old 02-24-2015, 07:51 PM
Sith Mod

Quote:
The right amount for a couple of adamantine weapons was enough for the merchant couple to settle their debts and retire to the tropics?

Can we get a D&D expert to weigh in on that? I have no idea how much adamantine weapons are supposed to cost.
An adamantium weapon costs about 3,000 gold. In vacation terms, renting the most expensive suite in a luxury inn for one night costs ~30 gold.
Old 02-24-2015, 09:12 PM

Quote:

Well, Haley no longer has to bail Dear Old Dad out of Tyrrania (aka Kingdom of Blood), so she's not quite as motivated to miser up.

Even though they have weapons that can harm the golem, it's not as though they can kill it with one hit. Typical D&D -- in "real life", you hit a vital spot with your weapon and the fight is over; in D&D, even with a crit, a dagger or short sword is only going to subtract so many hit points from the golem (and the golem has lots).
Old 02-25-2015, 01:26 AM

Plus if I'm not mistaken, in AD&D 3.5 golems are among that looooooong list of critters that are immune to sneak attacks, making Rogues pretty much useless in a fight against them.

Both of them are gonna hit it maybe twice or thrice a round for 1d6 and 1d4 respectively (maybe +2 or 3 from STR, and even that is fairly generous), while it retaliates with like 2 or 3 2d8+5 slams (plus probably power attack, and whatever Crystal Golems get to beef up). I'm pretty sure at these rates they run out of HP before it does.
Old 02-25-2015, 01:38 AM
Charter Member

Crystal, being a Rogue, likely did not have Power Attack.
Old 02-25-2015, 01:57 AM

Yeah but she probably gained a bunch of Big Dumb feats as part of her monster template. I mean, she can now charge through walls. That rates an ability to Power Attack in my book
Old 02-25-2015, 02:14 AM

Quote:
Originally Posted by Kobal2 View Post
I'm pretty sure at these rates they run out of HP before it does.
It depends how many potions of healing Haley has in her Bag of Holding, doesn't it? That's one area where organics have an advantage over constructs.
Old 02-25-2015, 08:29 AM

Quote:
Originally Posted by Miller View Post
An adamantium weapon costs about 3,000 gold. In vacation terms, renting the most expensive suite in a luxury inn for one night costs ~30 gold.
Thanks. So, either explanation tracks. Either way, it was funny.
Old 02-25-2015, 08:55 AM
Charter Member

Quote:
Originally Posted by Alessan View Post
It depends how many potions of healing Haley has in her Bag of Holding, doesn't it?
She has a wand of healing, too.
Old 02-25-2015, 09:04 AM

Could she use the Wand of Flying to Fly the Crystal Golem? Hard for CG to apply any force with nothing to brace against.
Old 02-25-2015, 09:12 AM
Charter Member

Quote:
Originally Posted by Quartz View Post
She has a wand of healing, too.
She gave it to Elan.
Old 02-25-2015, 09:15 AM
Charter Member

Quote:
Originally Posted by Jonathan Chance View Post
Could she use the Wand of Flying to Fly the Crystal Golem? Hard for CG to apply any force with nothing to brace against.
Just what she needs, another airborne tramp to fight.

Last edited by Peter Morris; 02-25-2015 at 09:17 AM.
Old 02-25-2015, 12:00 PM
BANNED

Quote:
Originally Posted by Jonathan Chance View Post
Assuming she can cast it on Crystal, nothing's gained: It's the recipient of the spell who controls the flight, not the caster. All you get is a golem that can fly when, if and how it wants to, not one that is forced to.
Old 03-05-2015, 05:01 PM

Hmm.

Seems less-than-optimal, then.
Old 03-10-2015, 04:59 AM

NEW ONE
Old 03-10-2015, 05:02 AM

Ah, gnomes. Stupid, stupid gnomes.
Old 03-10-2015, 08:50 AM

The alliteration of Department of Gnomeland Security made me laugh out loud.

I credit Berlow, it just gets worse and worse.
Old 03-10-2015, 09:01 AM

Quote:
Originally Posted by Mr. Goob View Post
alliteration
Old 03-10-2015, 10:15 AM
Charter Member

Is that a Borderlands 2 reference in panel 6?
Old 03-10-2015, 04:37 PM
Charter Member

Quote:
Originally Posted by jayjay View Post
That word. I do not think it means what you think it means.
Old 03-10-2015, 05:12 PM
Isaiah 1:15/Screw the NRA
Charter Member

"Power levels at 400%."

"Cool."
Old 03-10-2015, 08:47 PM

The more I thought about Gnomeland Security, the more I giggled. It was so painfully bad that it came right back 'round again to funny. It was very Pearls Before Swine.