Reply
 
Thread Tools Display Modes
  #301  
Old 05-29-2014, 04:03 AM
Alessan's Avatar
Alessan is online now
Guest
 
Join Date: Jul 2000
Location: Tel Aviv
Posts: 23,951
Quote:
Originally Posted by Kobal2 View Post
Heh, I had forgotten about that gag.

But this being the second time raises a worrying concern about Durkon. Namely, who the hell routinely memorizes Control Weather ?

It's a 7th level spell. It's a completely useless 7th level spell (when your god doesn't cheat). And sure, it's probably one of Durkon's domain spells, what with the whole storm god thing, but Thor's other domains are Protection (Repulsion), Good (Holy Word), Strength (Bigsby's Grasping Hand) and War (Power Word:Blind). All of which are 10x more useful than stupid, screams-for-a-scroll-you'll-never-actually-use Control Weather !
The first time, I can't tell you.

The second time, though, Durkula probably studied it because he thought it might come useful when travelling in an airship. And he was right!
  #302  
Old 05-29-2014, 08:38 AM
silenus's Avatar
silenus is offline
Isaiah 1:15/Screw the NRA
Charter Member
 
Join Date: May 2003
Location: SoCal
Posts: 50,771
Now I know that Rich is just fucking with us. He has the story plotted out, major set pieces blocked, but reads the various discussions going on about the story and then delights in screwing with us.
  #303  
Old 05-29-2014, 10:01 AM
Chronos's Avatar
Chronos is offline
Charter Member
Moderator
 
Join Date: Jan 2000
Location: The Land of Cleves
Posts: 81,798
The first time Durkon cast Control Weather, it was from a scroll.

And OotS-Thor isn't based on any of the D&D sourcebooks. He may well have a different alignment and domains. In any event, the High Priest of Hel certainly isn't casting Control Weather as a domain spell-- He doesn't have that domain, and he specifically points out that it's from the standard cleric spell list.
  #304  
Old 05-29-2014, 10:41 AM
Inner Stickler's Avatar
Inner Stickler is offline
Guest
 
Join Date: Jul 2005
Location: Minnesota
Posts: 14,790
If Control Weather is a non-eyebrow-raising method of a cleric handling a storm then Durkon is holding a gigantic idiot ball and it's slightly disappointing and strikes me as out of character.
  #305  
Old 05-29-2014, 10:50 AM
jayjay is offline
Guest
 
Join Date: Nov 2000
Location: Central Pennsylvania
Posts: 37,048
Quote:
Originally Posted by Inner Stickler View Post
If Control Weather is a non-eyebrow-raising method of a cleric handling a storm then Durkon is holding a gigantic idiot ball and it's slightly disappointing and strikes me as out of character.
It's on the standard spell list for clerics, which means almost all clerics, regardless of their patron deity, are able to pray for it. That doesn't mean that many do. As someone noted before, when it's following the rules, it's not a terribly useful or dramatic spell. "It'll stop raining. Eventually."

As someone else noted, when Durkon cast it before, he cast from a scroll. Mostly because even clerics of Thor don't pray for Control Weather very often. So Durkon did miss a trick in that he didn't expect Durkula to pray for Control Weather (since NOBODY prays for Control Weather). But it's not idiot-ball-level stupidity.
  #306  
Old 05-29-2014, 10:59 AM
Jophiel's Avatar
Jophiel is online now
Guest
 
Join Date: Mar 1999
Location: Chicago suburbia
Posts: 18,811
But even then, it's not as though Good-Durkon has a better hotline to Thor's Storm Control than the Control Weather spell either. Even if Durkon wasn't possessed by evil vampire spirits, his answer would be either "I have a scroll" or "Ask me again in seven hours, gotta go pray..."
  #307  
Old 05-29-2014, 11:05 AM
Inner Stickler's Avatar
Inner Stickler is offline
Guest
 
Join Date: Jul 2005
Location: Minnesota
Posts: 14,790
Then it's not the panacea that Durkula thinks it is. If it's so unusual that it's literally unthinkable for a cleric to assume it was prayed for that day then Durkula's casting it should be a gigantic red flag to every cleric or cleric leaning character on that ship that something hinky is going on.
  #308  
Old 05-29-2014, 11:08 AM
Inner Stickler's Avatar
Inner Stickler is offline
Guest
 
Join Date: Jul 2005
Location: Minnesota
Posts: 14,790
Quote:
Originally Posted by Jophiel View Post
But even then, it's not as though Good-Durkon has a better hotline to Thor's Storm Control than the Control Weather spell either. Even if Durkon wasn't possessed by evil vampire spirits, his answer would be either "I have a scroll" or "Ask me again in seven hours, gotta go pray..."
So Durkon's taunting is because he assumed Durkula would have to go pray for it and didn't realize that Hel could grant it as well? Then I maintain, idiot ball. I would think clerics would know pretty quickly what's on the standard list.
  #309  
Old 05-29-2014, 11:32 AM
Jophiel's Avatar
Jophiel is online now
Guest
 
Join Date: Mar 1999
Location: Chicago suburbia
Posts: 18,811
Quote:
Originally Posted by Inner Stickler View Post
So Durkon's taunting is because he assumed Durkula would have to go pray for it and didn't realize that Hel could grant it as well?
I guess. Really, everyone seemed to assume that Durkon would just be able to pick up the phone and say "Thor, knock it down a notch" but Durkon's only method of doing so would be the same spell Evil-Durkon owned anyway. You could argue whether it would be enough to dispel a storm caused by the Storm God but then I suppose Hel loses souls due to Raise Dead and Resurrection and she's the Death Goddess. Just how it goes in D&D Land.

Really though, I think it was mainly but Burlow playing with the expectation that Thor would sense Evil-Durkon and quickly reveal him.

Last edited by Jophiel; 05-29-2014 at 11:32 AM.
  #310  
Old 05-29-2014, 11:32 AM
Chronos's Avatar
Chronos is offline
Charter Member
Moderator
 
Join Date: Jan 2000
Location: The Land of Cleves
Posts: 81,798
Control Weather would be the standard response to an undesired natural storm, but the evidence is that this storm isn't natural. It struck without meteorological warning, on a ship carrying a high-level cleric of a storm god, right exactly when that ship entered said god's jurisdiction, and bypassed the ship's mundane storm defenses. What Thor can do, Thor can undo, and so the reasonable response in this case would have been to pray to Thor directly, not to cast the spell.

And the primary reason that Durkon used a scroll before was that at the time, he wasn't high enough level to cast it directly himself.
  #311  
Old 05-29-2014, 04:23 PM
Kobal2's Avatar
Kobal2 is offline
Guest
 
Join Date: Mar 2008
Location: Paris, France
Posts: 17,418
Quote:
Originally Posted by jayjay View Post
So Durkon did miss a trick in that he didn't expect Durkula to pray for Control Weather (since NOBODY prays for Control Weather). But it's not idiot-ball-level stupidity.
But... Durkon sees/is aware of everything Durkula does with his body, right ? And we've seen that in the OOTSverse, memorizing priest spells is not an internal monologue - you actually get on a direct Holy Hotline with your god and say pretty please for each spell slot. Then press # .

So it is kind of idiot ball. Or plot hole, anyway.

Quote:
Originally Posted by Chronos
Control Weather would be the standard response to an undesired natural storm, but the evidence is that this storm isn't natural. It struck without meteorological warning, on a ship carrying a high-level cleric of a storm god, right exactly when that ship entered said god's jurisdiction, and bypassed the ship's mundane storm defenses. What Thor can do, Thor can undo, and so the reasonable response in this case would have been to pray to Thor directly, not to cast the spell.
For all intents and purposes, in D&D casting holy spells is praying. Mechanics-wise you have to do your prayers in advance for game balance (if you're a cleric - there are spontaneous priests), but the fundamental concept is that you ask your god to affect the world for you and he/she/it/they/ftaghn do. That's what a prayer is, no ?

It'd be kind of broken if clerics could cast spells AND ask for additional direct, world-warping favours on top of that. Besides, communicating directly with your god when they're not the ones initiating the dialogue... requires a 5th level spell (Commune) .
  #312  
Old 05-29-2014, 06:04 PM
Chronos's Avatar
Chronos is offline
Charter Member
Moderator
 
Join Date: Jan 2000
Location: The Land of Cleves
Posts: 81,798
No, you can always initiate communications with your god and ask for special favors. It's just that they'll usually just ignore you if you don't go through channels.

But it looks like for once, Thor isn't just ignoring Durkon.
  #313  
Old 06-03-2014, 06:51 PM
satogata is offline
Guest
 
Join Date: Oct 2004
Location: On Beyond Z
Posts: 73
Strip update! http://www.giantitp.com/comics/oots0954.html

Belkar certainly still smells a rat!
  #314  
Old 06-03-2014, 10:02 PM
Knorf is offline
Charter Member
 
Join Date: Dec 2000
Location: Living the Dream
Posts: 8,583
I love how Greenhilt is basically holding him up by the scruff of his neck. Well, collar. Useless arm and leg thrashing!
  #315  
Old 06-03-2014, 10:18 PM
Little Nemo is offline
Charter Member
 
Join Date: Dec 1999
Location: Western New York
Posts: 79,967
Once again, Roy is succumbing to his greatest weakness. When he thinks he's got things figured out, he becomes blind to any other possibility.
  #316  
Old 06-03-2014, 11:40 PM
wolfman is online now
Guest
 
Join Date: Mar 2000
Posts: 10,797
Hehe, did Belkar jump past Genre savvy to hit meta-Genre savvy?
  #317  
Old 06-04-2014, 12:55 AM
Peter Morris's Avatar
Peter Morris is offline
Charter Member
 
Join Date: Apr 2003
Location: The far canal
Posts: 12,300
Quote:
Originally Posted by Little Nemo View Post
Once again, Roy is succumbing to his greatest weakness. When he thinks he's got things figured out, he becomes blind to any other possibility.
He and Miko were perfectly suited.
  #318  
Old 06-04-2014, 01:01 AM
Little Nemo is offline
Charter Member
 
Join Date: Dec 1999
Location: Western New York
Posts: 79,967
Quote:
Originally Posted by Peter Morris View Post
He and Miko were perfectly suited.
This is actually true to a certain extent. I think seeing an extreme version of this flaw in Miko was one of the things that made Roy more aware of it in himself. Roy does question his assumptions more than he used to (and he now occasionally runs his assumptions by other people for a second opinion). So he's making progress but, as we're seeing, he still backslides.

Last edited by Little Nemo; 06-04-2014 at 01:01 AM.
  #319  
Old 06-04-2014, 08:56 AM
yellowjacketcoder is offline
Guest
 
Join Date: Jan 2013
Location: Atlanta
Posts: 3,088
The interesting thing to me would be how far Durkferatu would have to go before Thor would be willing to intervene in a portfolio change.

Nonetheless, Control Weather only has a range of 10 miles or so. I would think that if Thor plops a new storm every 10 miles, either Durkferatu is out all his 7th level spell slots for the day just to move, or someone's going to get the message.

Or Thor could have a nice chat with his prophet, and put out an ABP on staking the vampire as a crusade for all followers of Thor. Which would certainly get the rest of the order's attention.
  #320  
Old 06-04-2014, 09:50 AM
silenus's Avatar
silenus is offline
Isaiah 1:15/Screw the NRA
Charter Member
 
Join Date: May 2003
Location: SoCal
Posts: 50,771
But that would take the solution out of the control of the Order, who are Our Heroes. Contra-indicated, plotting-wise. Rich will string this along for quite awhile, I'll bet.
  #321  
Old 06-04-2014, 11:43 AM
Miller's Avatar
Miller is offline
Sith Mod
Moderator
 
Join Date: Dec 2000
Location: Bear Flag Republic
Posts: 43,592
Quote:
Originally Posted by Little Nemo View Post
This is actually true to a certain extent. I think seeing an extreme version of this flaw in Miko was one of the things that made Roy more aware of it in himself. Roy does question his assumptions more than he used to (and he now occasionally runs his assumptions by other people for a second opinion). So he's making progress but, as we're seeing, he still backslides.
Let's not hang this whole thing on Roy - the rest of the Order is fooled, too. The fact that only Belkar has a problem with this would, under most circumstances, be further evidence that they're doing the right thing.
  #322  
Old 06-04-2014, 04:18 PM
Measure for Measure's Avatar
Measure for Measure is offline
Charter Member
 
Join Date: Oct 2000
Posts: 14,165
Quote:
Originally Posted by Little Nemo View Post
This is actually true to a certain extent. I think seeing an extreme version of this flaw in Miko was one of the things that made Roy more aware of it in himself. Roy does question his assumptions more than he used to (and he now occasionally runs his assumptions by other people for a second opinion). So he's making progress but, as we're seeing, he still backslides.
...and Roy is actually correct: Durkevil is fixing the problem.

Recall though that V and the ship's cleric are just offscreen at the moment. V is thinking before s/he acts now, and has the intelligence to consider Belkar's outburst (he's going at it with daggers, not stakes after all) with some care, as well as other possibilities. Frankly, the idea that Durkon is trapped inside Durkevil would require some imagination: the simpler hypothesis is that Durkon is merely infused with bad mojo. Still given recent character growth methinks Durkevil is in a tight bind, still worse because the memories of Durkon and his own inexperience cause Durkevil to underestimate his adversaries.

Though Vampires are tough to fight or kill.

Last edited by Measure for Measure; 06-04-2014 at 04:20 PM.
  #323  
Old 06-04-2014, 06:39 PM
Kobal2's Avatar
Kobal2 is offline
Guest
 
Join Date: Mar 2008
Location: Paris, France
Posts: 17,418
Quote:
Originally Posted by yellowjacketcoder View Post
Or Thor could have a nice chat with his prophet, and put out an ABP on staking the vampire as a crusade for all followers of Thor. Which would certainly get the rest of the order's attention.
Sure, but at this point we don't really have confirmation that Thor is even aware that Hel has committed Grand Theft Cleric, and he doesn't strike me as the most detail-oriented god. We know Durkon assumes the magic storm is his god's work, but then again it's not like the Order is short on enemies. Redcloak could Control Weather easy-peasy, f'r'instance.

Or it could simply be the dwarves themselves, defending their airspace from unannounced foreign invasion. Julio Scoundrèl wreaked dashing havoc up there in the past for all we know
  #324  
Old 06-04-2014, 07:41 PM
yellowjacketcoder is offline
Guest
 
Join Date: Jan 2013
Location: Atlanta
Posts: 3,088
Quote:
Originally Posted by Kobal2 View Post
Sure, but at this point we don't really have confirmation that Thor is even aware that Hel has committed Grand Theft Cleric, and he doesn't strike me as the most detail-oriented god. We know Durkon assumes the magic storm is his god's work, but then again it's not like the Order is short on enemies. Redcloak could Control Weather easy-peasy, f'r'instance.

Or it could simply be the dwarves themselves, defending their airspace from unannounced foreign invasion. Julio Scoundrèl wreaked dashing havoc up there in the past for all we know
True, Thor can be pretty clueless at time - but I think his Devas are on top of things, and alerting him that one of his highest level clerics just got poached by his least favorite goddess would catch his attention.

Then again, the Order is on Scoundrel's ship, and he's basically persona non grata in any lawful region.
  #325  
Old 06-04-2014, 07:48 PM
Left Hand of Dorkness's Avatar
Left Hand of Dorkness is online now
Charter Member
 
Join Date: May 1999
Location: at the right hand of cool
Posts: 40,268
Seems that if Thor were a PC, he'd just send a Valkyrie or two to let the order know about it.

But he's not a PC, he's an NPC, and if Durkevil is revealed to early that'll be no fun. He's got to get a chance to betray the Order at least once before he bites it.

Last edited by Left Hand of Dorkness; 06-04-2014 at 07:49 PM.
  #326  
Old 06-04-2014, 09:19 PM
Knorf is offline
Charter Member
 
Join Date: Dec 2000
Location: Living the Dream
Posts: 8,583
Quote:
Originally Posted by yellowjacketcoder View Post
Then again, the Order is on Scoundrel's ship...
Ahem. That's "Scoundrél."

  #327  
Old 06-04-2014, 09:57 PM
Kobal2's Avatar
Kobal2 is offline
Guest
 
Join Date: Mar 2008
Location: Paris, France
Posts: 17,418
Quote:
Originally Posted by yellowjacketcoder View Post
True, Thor can be pretty clueless at time - but I think his Devas are on top of things, and alerting him that one of his highest level clerics just got poached by his least favorite goddess would catch his attention.
Fair point. And he did somehow notice a disturbance in the Force back when Durkon and Ylgia had their "moment".
  #328  
Old 06-05-2014, 06:39 AM
kaylasdad99 is offline
Charter Member
 
Join Date: Sep 1999
Location: Anaheim, CA
Posts: 31,005
Quote:
Originally Posted by Left Hand of Dorkness View Post
Seems that if Thor were a PC, he'd just send a Valkyrie or two to let the order know about it.

But he's not a PC, he's an NPC, and if Durkevil is revealed to early that'll be no fun. He's got to get a chance to betray the Order at least once before he bites it.
I saw what you did there; don't think I didn't.
  #329  
Old 06-05-2014, 06:48 AM
kaylasdad99 is offline
Charter Member
 
Join Date: Sep 1999
Location: Anaheim, CA
Posts: 31,005
Y'know, it just occurred to me that everybody is on Durkula's rations rotation (to coin a phrase), and when Belkar's turn comes around, there could be a "tragic miscalculation" on how much exsanguination a halfling's Con is prepared to handle.

Roy is already prepared to take that in stride...
  #330  
Old 06-05-2014, 08:03 AM
Knowed Out's Avatar
Knowed Out is online now
Member
 
Join Date: Nov 2001
Location: North Kakkalakee
Posts: 13,896
Belkar's admonition is the latest strip is so true. There's been so many times that clerics & druids are unable to anticipate the predicament in which the party will find themselves that day. So many spells are useless for general situations, they're usually not worth preparing. But every once in a while, lightning will strike and the cleric looks like a chump for not having the "class feature" prepped.
  #331  
Old 06-05-2014, 08:31 AM
Jophiel's Avatar
Jophiel is online now
Guest
 
Join Date: Mar 1999
Location: Chicago suburbia
Posts: 18,811
Quote:
Originally Posted by kaylasdad99 View Post
Y'know, it just occurred to me that everybody is on Durkula's rations rotation (to coin a phrase), and when Belkar's turn comes around, there could be a "tragic miscalculation" on how much exsanguination a halfling's Con is prepared to handle.
Belkar never agreed to be fed upon. Neither did V for that matter (though that was through absence).

I can't imagine that Roy (or Hayley or Elan) being fed upon won't be an issue later on. Perhaps the first real confrontation with Durkon will comes when he keeps draining one of them ("Uh, Durkon, shouldn't you be stopping...?")
  #332  
Old 06-12-2014, 08:46 AM
mlees is offline
Guest
 
Join Date: Oct 2006
Location: San Diego
Posts: 7,509
http://www.giantitp.com/comics/oots0955.html

New page. first? finally?
  #333  
Old 06-12-2014, 09:02 AM
Knorf is offline
Charter Member
 
Join Date: Dec 2000
Location: Living the Dream
Posts: 8,583
Congrats.
  #334  
Old 06-12-2014, 09:31 AM
Inner Stickler's Avatar
Inner Stickler is offline
Guest
 
Join Date: Jul 2005
Location: Minnesota
Posts: 14,790
Former Master Thundershield?
  #335  
Old 06-12-2014, 09:40 AM
Hellestal is offline
Charter Member
 
Join Date: Aug 2002
Location: Storyland
Posts: 2,002
Is this vampire thing normal for D&D?

I mean, that a vampire is literally a new mind, an entirely separate beastie from the host, that literally confines the old consciousness?
  #336  
Old 06-12-2014, 09:40 AM
Jophiel's Avatar
Jophiel is online now
Guest
 
Join Date: Mar 1999
Location: Chicago suburbia
Posts: 18,811
Random thing I noticed: V used to have a gold circlet until he did the whole soul splice thing. Then V'd robe's turned all evil black and circlet was gone for flowing evil hair. After the splice was dispelled, V was immediately back in the old red robes but the circlet never returned and V went to a pony tail. Just seemed odd that the circlet would go away when the robes reverted to normal. I like the pony tail better anyway.
  #337  
Old 06-12-2014, 09:42 AM
Jophiel's Avatar
Jophiel is online now
Guest
 
Join Date: Mar 1999
Location: Chicago suburbia
Posts: 18,811
Quote:
Originally Posted by Hellestal View Post
Is this vampire thing normal for D&D?

I mean, that a vampire is literally a new mind, an entirely separate beastie from the host, that literally confines the old consciousness?
There's no D&D rules for the exact state of the soul or psyche when changed into a vampire. I'd say it's not "normal" in that I doubt many campaigns run it this way but it's not counter to the rules either.
  #338  
Old 06-12-2014, 09:53 AM
Yllaria is offline
Charter Member
 
Join Date: Nov 2001
Location: Stockton
Posts: 10,625
I'd like to say that I think V's Plan C for protecting the ship from lightning is clever. It's a good thing that having a familiar no longer slips his mind.
  #339  
Old 06-12-2014, 10:17 AM
Inner Stickler's Avatar
Inner Stickler is offline
Guest
 
Join Date: Jul 2005
Location: Minnesota
Posts: 14,790
Heh, the internet seems to be of the opinion that walls of force have to be vertical and that it's a bit unbelievable that V could create a shield in the instant between when the lightning forms and when it strikes.

I say, at this point, why not just cast Protection from Electricity on the ship.
  #340  
Old 06-12-2014, 10:21 AM
Miller's Avatar
Miller is offline
Sith Mod
Moderator
 
Join Date: Dec 2000
Location: Bear Flag Republic
Posts: 43,592
Quote:
Originally Posted by Inner Stickler View Post

I say, at this point, why not just cast Protection from Electricity on the ship.
Can't be cast on objects.
  #341  
Old 06-12-2014, 10:29 AM
Inner Stickler's Avatar
Inner Stickler is offline
Guest
 
Join Date: Jul 2005
Location: Minnesota
Posts: 14,790
And the spell description for Wall of Force says "flat, vertical plane".
  #342  
Old 06-12-2014, 11:41 AM
MHaye is offline
Guest
 
Join Date: May 2007
Location: The One and Only Meridian
Posts: 2,040
I can see V being able to cast the Wall of Force in time to intercept the strike, as that's an adaptation of the "ready" action.

You could plausibly argue that since Wall of Force is an Evocation spell that V, a specialist Evoker, might have one or two tricks up their sleeve to modify Evocation spells - and let's face it, V needs some advantage out of one of the worst possible choices for an arcane specialist (Evokers are outperformed by sorcerers with the right spells, and Warmages leave Sorcerers in the dust - if you want to be a blaster, go Warmage); this not to mention V's inexcusable choice of Conjuration as a banned school.
  #343  
Old 06-12-2014, 12:37 PM
Balance is offline
Charter Member
 
Join Date: Jun 2000
Location: Dallas, TX
Posts: 8,310
Quote:
Originally Posted by Inner Stickler View Post
And the spell description for Wall of Force says "flat, vertical plane".
Vertical in what frame of reference, though? Everyone and everything in the strip is flying, without the ground in sight.

Quote:
Originally Posted by MHaye View Post
I can see V being able to cast the Wall of Force in time to intercept the strike, as that's an adaptation of the "ready" action.

You could plausibly argue that since Wall of Force is an Evocation spell that V, a specialist Evoker, might have one or two tricks up their sleeve to modify Evocation spells - and let's face it, V needs some advantage out of one of the worst possible choices for an arcane specialist (Evokers are outperformed by sorcerers with the right spells, and Warmages leave Sorcerers in the dust - if you want to be a blaster, go Warmage); this not to mention V's inexcusable choice of Conjuration as a banned school.
Well, V has the Quicken Spell feat, but the Wall of Force didn't appear to be cast using it. (V would have said, "Quickened Wall of Force".) Also, the feat makes the spell take up a slot 4 levels higher, which would mean a 9th level slot. Even if V can cast 9th level spells--which is higher than we have evidence for--Wall of Force seems like an unlikely choice to prepare in one of those slots.

Quote:
Originally Posted by Jophiel View Post
Random thing I noticed: V used to have a gold circlet until he did the whole soul splice thing. Then V'd robe's turned all evil black and circlet was gone for flowing evil hair. After the splice was dispelled, V was immediately back in the old red robes but the circlet never returned and V went to a pony tail. Just seemed odd that the circlet would go away when the robes reverted to normal. I like the pony tail better anyway.
I think that circlet is V's Headband of Intellect +4, and may have been resized to serve as a ponytail holder in V's new look.
  #344  
Old 06-12-2014, 01:14 PM
yellowjacketcoder is offline
Guest
 
Join Date: Jan 2013
Location: Atlanta
Posts: 3,088
Quote:
Originally Posted by Balance View Post
Vertical in what frame of reference, though? Everyone and everything in the strip is flying, without the ground in sight.
Call it DM's discretion. I probably wouldn't let the player get away with that, but then Control Weather doesn't work the way Durkon wanted it to in Cliffport, either.


Quote:
Originally Posted by Balance View Post
I think that circlet is V's Headband of Intellect +4, and may have been resized to serve as a ponytail holder in V's new look.
http://www.giantitp.com/comics/oots0667.html Looks like you're right about that.
  #345  
Old 06-12-2014, 01:47 PM
Jophiel's Avatar
Jophiel is online now
Guest
 
Join Date: Mar 1999
Location: Chicago suburbia
Posts: 18,811
Huh. I always assumed the circlet was a solid gold band but then I was basing that off a yellow line in a stick figure based comic. Guess it could just as easily be a fine chain or woven or something.
  #346  
Old 06-12-2014, 03:27 PM
Balance is offline
Charter Member
 
Join Date: Jun 2000
Location: Dallas, TX
Posts: 8,310
Quote:
Originally Posted by Jophiel View Post
Huh. I always assumed the circlet was a solid gold band but then I was basing that off a yellow line in a stick figure based comic. Guess it could just as easily be a fine chain or woven or something.
Or just magic. Resizing is a pretty standard feature of magic items in game settings.
  #347  
Old 06-12-2014, 06:09 PM
Kobal2's Avatar
Kobal2 is offline
Guest
 
Join Date: Mar 2008
Location: Paris, France
Posts: 17,418
Quote:
Originally Posted by Inner Stickler View Post
Heh, the internet seems to be of the opinion that walls of force have to be vertical and that it's a bit unbelievable that V could create a shield in the instant between when the lightning forms and when it strikes.
The spell states :

Quote:
Originally Posted by SRD
The caster can form the wall into a flat, vertical plane whose area is up to one 10-foot square per level. The wall must be continuous and unbroken when formed. If its surface is broken by any object or creature, the spell fails.
RAW, I see no reason why V couldn't create a vertical wall of force 1 mm high and plenty-of-square-footage wide/thick. As for the instant casting, that's what readied actions are for ! Reaction time, schmeaction time : as we French DMs say, TGCM ("Shut up, it's magic")

Quote:
Originally Posted by Balance
Even if V can cast 9th level spells--which is higher than we have evidence for--Wall of Force seems like an unlikely choice to prepare in one of those slots.
Eh, I dunno, WoF can definitely swing a fight all by itself, and has a cornucopia of utility applications besides. Not sure I'd quicken one, especially considering the grooviness of lvl 9 spells (I'll have the Time Stops, all of them, please) but it wouldn't necessarily be a stoopid move, particularly if you're not planning on needing to Meteor Strike somebody today.

Last edited by Kobal2; 06-12-2014 at 06:09 PM.
  #348  
Old 06-12-2014, 06:26 PM
Balance is offline
Charter Member
 
Join Date: Jun 2000
Location: Dallas, TX
Posts: 8,310
Quote:
Originally Posted by Kobal2 View Post
Eh, I dunno, WoF can definitely swing a fight all by itself, and has a cornucopia of utility applications besides. Not sure I'd quicken one, especially considering the grooviness of lvl 9 spells (I'll have the Time Stops, all of them, please) but it wouldn't necessarily be a stoopid move, particularly if you're not planning on needing to Meteor Strike somebody today.
I'm not dismissing the usefulness of WoF, by any means. I just doubt that V would consider quickening one a good use of a 9th level slot. If you're not specifically expecting to need an instant wall that day, Time Stop (as you point out) and Shapechange are better choices.

All of which is probably moot, because we're pretty sure V doesn't have any 9th-level slots.
  #349  
Old 06-12-2014, 07:13 PM
Grumman is offline
Guest
 
Join Date: Jul 2006
Location: Australia
Posts: 8,508
Quote:
Originally Posted by Kobal2 View Post
RAW, I see no reason why V couldn't create a vertical wall of force 1 mm high and plenty-of-square-footage wide/thick.
Because a Wall of Force is a plane - it has zero thickness. Normally this would be a problem because such a plane would have to be made of an infinitely strong material, but force is such a material.
  #350  
Old 06-12-2014, 08:16 PM
kaylasdad99 is offline
Charter Member
 
Join Date: Sep 1999
Location: Anaheim, CA
Posts: 31,005
Meh. Burlew's the author, not I (or anyone else caviling about his ALREADY-ANNOUNCED-AS-HIS-INTENTION tweaking of the rules to suit the story).

But I will observe that with respect to V's physical orientation at the time of casting, the WoF IS vertical.

Last edited by kaylasdad99; 06-12-2014 at 08:17 PM.
Reply

Bookmarks

Thread Tools
Display Modes

Posting Rules
You may not post new threads
You may not post replies
You may not post attachments
You may not edit your posts

BB code is On
Smilies are On
[IMG] code is Off
HTML code is Off

Forum Jump


All times are GMT -5. The time now is 09:35 AM.

Powered by vBulletin® Version 3.8.7
Copyright ©2000 - 2019, vBulletin Solutions, Inc.

Send questions for Cecil Adams to: cecil@straightdope.com

Send comments about this website to: webmaster@straightdope.com

Terms of Use / Privacy Policy

Advertise on the Straight Dope!
(Your direct line to thousands of the smartest, hippest people on the planet, plus a few total dipsticks.)

Copyright © 2018 STM Reader, LLC.

 
Copyright © 2017