Old 05-29-2014, 04:03 AM

Quote:
Originally Posted by Kobal2 View Post
Heh, I had forgotten about that gag.

But this being the second time raises a worrying concern about Durkon. Namely, who the hell routinely memorizes Control Weather ?

It's a 7th level spell. It's a completely useless 7th level spell (when your god doesn't cheat). And sure, it's probably one of Durkon's domain spells, what with the whole storm god thing, but Thor's other domains are Protection (Repulsion), Good (Holy Word), Strength (Bigsby's Grasping Hand) and War (Power Word:Blind). All of which are 10x more useful than stupid, screams-for-a-scroll-you'll-never-actually-use Control Weather !
The first time, I can't tell you.

The second time, though, Durkula probably studied it because he thought it might come useful when travelling in an airship. And he was right!
Old 05-29-2014, 08:38 AM
Isaiah 1:15/Screw the NRA
Charter Member

Now I know that Rich is just fucking with us. He has the story plotted out, major set pieces blocked, but reads the various discussions going on about the story and then delights in screwing with us.
Old 05-29-2014, 10:01 AM
Charter Member

The first time Durkon cast Control Weather, it was from a scroll.

And OotS-Thor isn't based on any of the D&D sourcebooks. He may well have a different alignment and domains. In any event, the High Priest of Hel certainly isn't casting Control Weather as a domain spell-- He doesn't have that domain, and he specifically points out that it's from the standard cleric spell list.
Old 05-29-2014, 10:41 AM

If Control Weather is a non-eyebrow-raising method of a cleric handling a storm then Durkon is holding a gigantic idiot ball and it's slightly disappointing and strikes me as out of character.
Old 05-29-2014, 10:50 AM

Quote:
Originally Posted by Inner Stickler View Post
If Control Weather is a non-eyebrow-raising method of a cleric handling a storm then Durkon is holding a gigantic idiot ball and it's slightly disappointing and strikes me as out of character.
It's on the standard spell list for clerics, which means almost all clerics, regardless of their patron deity, are able to pray for it. That doesn't mean that many do. As someone noted before, when it's following the rules, it's not a terribly useful or dramatic spell. "It'll stop raining. Eventually."

As someone else noted, when Durkon cast it before, he cast from a scroll. Mostly because even clerics of Thor don't pray for Control Weather very often. So Durkon did miss a trick in that he didn't expect Durkula to pray for Control Weather (since NOBODY prays for Control Weather). But it's not idiot-ball-level stupidity.
Old 05-29-2014, 10:59 AM

But even then, it's not as though Good-Durkon has a better hotline to Thor's Storm Control than the Control Weather spell either. Even if Durkon wasn't possessed by evil vampire spirits, his answer would be either "I have a scroll" or "Ask me again in seven hours, gotta go pray..."
Old 05-29-2014, 11:05 AM

Then it's not the panacea that Durkula thinks it is. If it's so unusual that it's literally unthinkable for a cleric to assume it was prayed for that day then Durkula's casting it should be a gigantic red flag to every cleric or cleric leaning character on that ship that something hinky is going on.
Old 05-29-2014, 11:08 AM

Quote:
Originally Posted by Jophiel View Post
But even then, it's not as though Good-Durkon has a better hotline to Thor's Storm Control than the Control Weather spell either. Even if Durkon wasn't possessed by evil vampire spirits, his answer would be either "I have a scroll" or "Ask me again in seven hours, gotta go pray..."
So Durkon's taunting is because he assumed Durkula would have to go pray for it and didn't realize that Hel could grant it as well? Then I maintain, idiot ball. I would think clerics would know pretty quickly what's on the standard list.
Old 05-29-2014, 11:32 AM

Quote:
So Durkon's taunting is because he assumed Durkula would have to go pray for it and didn't realize that Hel could grant it as well?
I guess. Really, everyone seemed to assume that Durkon would just be able to pick up the phone and say "Thor, knock it down a notch" but Durkon's only method of doing so would be the same spell Evil-Durkon owned anyway. You could argue whether it would be enough to dispel a storm caused by the Storm God but then I suppose Hel loses souls due to Raise Dead and Resurrection and she's the Death Goddess. Just how it goes in D&D Land.

Really though, I think it was mainly but Burlow playing with the expectation that Thor would sense Evil-Durkon and quickly reveal him.

Last edited by Jophiel; 05-29-2014 at 11:32 AM.
Old 05-29-2014, 11:32 AM
Charter Member

Control Weather would be the standard response to an undesired natural storm, but the evidence is that this storm isn't natural. It struck without meteorological warning, on a ship carrying a high-level cleric of a storm god, right exactly when that ship entered said god's jurisdiction, and bypassed the ship's mundane storm defenses. What Thor can do, Thor can undo, and so the reasonable response in this case would have been to pray to Thor directly, not to cast the spell.

And the primary reason that Durkon used a scroll before was that at the time, he wasn't high enough level to cast it directly himself.
Old 05-29-2014, 04:23 PM

Quote:
Originally Posted by jayjay View Post
So Durkon did miss a trick in that he didn't expect Durkula to pray for Control Weather (since NOBODY prays for Control Weather). But it's not idiot-ball-level stupidity.
But... Durkon sees/is aware of everything Durkula does with his body, right ? And we've seen that in the OOTSverse, memorizing priest spells is not an internal monologue - you actually get on a direct Holy Hotline with your god and say pretty please for each spell slot. Then press # .

So it is kind of idiot ball. Or plot hole, anyway.

Quote:
Originally Posted by Chronos
Control Weather would be the standard response to an undesired natural storm, but the evidence is that this storm isn't natural. It struck without meteorological warning, on a ship carrying a high-level cleric of a storm god, right exactly when that ship entered said god's jurisdiction, and bypassed the ship's mundane storm defenses. What Thor can do, Thor can undo, and so the reasonable response in this case would have been to pray to Thor directly, not to cast the spell.
For all intents and purposes, in D&D casting holy spells is praying. Mechanics-wise you have to do your prayers in advance for game balance (if you're a cleric - there are spontaneous priests), but the fundamental concept is that you ask your god to affect the world for you and he/she/it/they/ftaghn do. That's what a prayer is, no ?

It'd be kind of broken if clerics could cast spells AND ask for additional direct, world-warping favours on top of that. Besides, communicating directly with your god when they're not the ones initiating the dialogue... requires a 5th level spell (Commune) .
Old 05-29-2014, 06:04 PM
Charter Member

No, you can always initiate communications with your god and ask for special favors. It's just that they'll usually just ignore you if you don't go through channels.

But it looks like for once, Thor isn't just ignoring Durkon.
Old 06-03-2014, 06:51 PM

Strip update! http://www.giantitp.com/comics/oots0954.html

Belkar certainly still smells a rat!
Old 06-03-2014, 10:02 PM
Charter Member

I love how Greenhilt is basically holding him up by the scruff of his neck. Well, collar. Useless arm and leg thrashing!
Old 06-03-2014, 10:18 PM
Charter Member

Once again, Roy is succumbing to his greatest weakness. When he thinks he's got things figured out, he becomes blind to any other possibility.
Old 06-03-2014, 11:40 PM

Hehe, did Belkar jump past Genre savvy to hit meta-Genre savvy?
Old 06-04-2014, 12:55 AM
Charter Member

Quote:
Originally Posted by Little Nemo View Post
Once again, Roy is succumbing to his greatest weakness. When he thinks he's got things figured out, he becomes blind to any other possibility.
He and Miko were perfectly suited.
Old 06-04-2014, 01:01 AM
Charter Member

Quote:
Originally Posted by Peter Morris View Post
He and Miko were perfectly suited.
This is actually true to a certain extent. I think seeing an extreme version of this flaw in Miko was one of the things that made Roy more aware of it in himself. Roy does question his assumptions more than he used to (and he now occasionally runs his assumptions by other people for a second opinion). So he's making progress but, as we're seeing, he still backslides.

Last edited by Little Nemo; 06-04-2014 at 01:01 AM.
Old 06-04-2014, 08:56 AM

The interesting thing to me would be how far Durkferatu would have to go before Thor would be willing to intervene in a portfolio change.

Nonetheless, Control Weather only has a range of 10 miles or so. I would think that if Thor plops a new storm every 10 miles, either Durkferatu is out all his 7th level spell slots for the day just to move, or someone's going to get the message.

Or Thor could have a nice chat with his prophet, and put out an ABP on staking the vampire as a crusade for all followers of Thor. Which would certainly get the rest of the order's attention.
Old 06-04-2014, 09:50 AM
Isaiah 1:15/Screw the NRA
Charter Member

But that would take the solution out of the control of the Order, who are Our Heroes. Contra-indicated, plotting-wise. Rich will string this along for quite awhile, I'll bet.
Old 06-04-2014, 11:43 AM
Sith Mod

Quote:
This is actually true to a certain extent. I think seeing an extreme version of this flaw in Miko was one of the things that made Roy more aware of it in himself. Roy does question his assumptions more than he used to (and he now occasionally runs his assumptions by other people for a second opinion). So he's making progress but, as we're seeing, he still backslides.
Let's not hang this whole thing on Roy - the rest of the Order is fooled, too. The fact that only Belkar has a problem with this would, under most circumstances, be further evidence that they're doing the right thing.
Old 06-04-2014, 04:18 PM
Charter Member

Quote:
...and Roy is actually correct: Durkevil is fixing the problem.

Recall though that V and the ship's cleric are just offscreen at the moment. V is thinking before s/he acts now, and has the intelligence to consider Belkar's outburst (he's going at it with daggers, not stakes after all) with some care, as well as other possibilities. Frankly, the idea that Durkon is trapped inside Durkevil would require some imagination: the simpler hypothesis is that Durkon is merely infused with bad mojo. Still given recent character growth methinks Durkevil is in a tight bind, still worse because the memories of Durkon and his own inexperience cause Durkevil to underestimate his adversaries.

Though Vampires are tough to fight or kill.

Last edited by Measure for Measure; 06-04-2014 at 04:20 PM.
Old 06-04-2014, 06:39 PM

Quote:
Originally Posted by yellowjacketcoder View Post
Or Thor could have a nice chat with his prophet, and put out an ABP on staking the vampire as a crusade for all followers of Thor. Which would certainly get the rest of the order's attention.
Sure, but at this point we don't really have confirmation that Thor is even aware that Hel has committed Grand Theft Cleric, and he doesn't strike me as the most detail-oriented god. We know Durkon assumes the magic storm is his god's work, but then again it's not like the Order is short on enemies. Redcloak could Control Weather easy-peasy, f'r'instance.

Or it could simply be the dwarves themselves, defending their airspace from unannounced foreign invasion. Julio Scoundrèl wreaked dashing havoc up there in the past for all we know
Old 06-04-2014, 07:41 PM

Quote:
Sure, but at this point we don't really have confirmation that Thor is even aware that Hel has committed Grand Theft Cleric, and he doesn't strike me as the most detail-oriented god. We know Durkon assumes the magic storm is his god's work, but then again it's not like the Order is short on enemies. Redcloak could Control Weather easy-peasy, f'r'instance.

Or it could simply be the dwarves themselves, defending their airspace from unannounced foreign invasion. Julio Scoundrèl wreaked dashing havoc up there in the past for all we know
True, Thor can be pretty clueless at time - but I think his Devas are on top of things, and alerting him that one of his highest level clerics just got poached by his least favorite goddess would catch his attention.

Then again, the Order is on Scoundrel's ship, and he's basically persona non grata in any lawful region.
Old 06-04-2014, 07:48 PM
Charter Member

Seems that if Thor were a PC, he'd just send a Valkyrie or two to let the order know about it.

But he's not a PC, he's an NPC, and if Durkevil is revealed to early that'll be no fun. He's got to get a chance to betray the Order at least once before he bites it.

Last edited by Left Hand of Dorkness; 06-04-2014 at 07:49 PM.
Old 06-04-2014, 09:19 PM
Charter Member

Quote:
Then again, the Order is on Scoundrel's ship...
Ahem. That's "Scoundrél."

Old 06-04-2014, 09:57 PM

Quote:
True, Thor can be pretty clueless at time - but I think his Devas are on top of things, and alerting him that one of his highest level clerics just got poached by his least favorite goddess would catch his attention.
Fair point. And he did somehow notice a disturbance in the Force back when Durkon and Ylgia had their "moment".
Old 06-05-2014, 06:39 AM
Charter Member

Quote:
Originally Posted by Left Hand of Dorkness View Post
Seems that if Thor were a PC, he'd just send a Valkyrie or two to let the order know about it.

But he's not a PC, he's an NPC, and if Durkevil is revealed to early that'll be no fun. He's got to get a chance to betray the Order at least once before he bites it.
I saw what you did there; don't think I didn't.
Old 06-05-2014, 06:48 AM
Charter Member

Y'know, it just occurred to me that everybody is on Durkula's rations rotation (to coin a phrase), and when Belkar's turn comes around, there could be a "tragic miscalculation" on how much exsanguination a halfling's Con is prepared to handle.

Roy is already prepared to take that in stride...
Old 06-05-2014, 08:03 AM

Belkar's admonition is the latest strip is so true. There's been so many times that clerics & druids are unable to anticipate the predicament in which the party will find themselves that day. So many spells are useless for general situations, they're usually not worth preparing. But every once in a while, lightning will strike and the cleric looks like a chump for not having the "class feature" prepped.
Old 06-05-2014, 08:31 AM

Quote:
Originally Posted by kaylasdad99 View Post
Y'know, it just occurred to me that everybody is on Durkula's rations rotation (to coin a phrase), and when Belkar's turn comes around, there could be a "tragic miscalculation" on how much exsanguination a halfling's Con is prepared to handle.
Belkar never agreed to be fed upon. Neither did V for that matter (though that was through absence).

I can't imagine that Roy (or Hayley or Elan) being fed upon won't be an issue later on. Perhaps the first real confrontation with Durkon will comes when he keeps draining one of them ("Uh, Durkon, shouldn't you be stopping...?")
Old 06-12-2014, 08:46 AM

http://www.giantitp.com/comics/oots0955.html

New page. first? finally?
Old 06-12-2014, 09:02 AM
Charter Member

Congrats.
Old 06-12-2014, 09:31 AM

Former Master Thundershield?
Old 06-12-2014, 09:40 AM
Charter Member

Is this vampire thing normal for D&D?

I mean, that a vampire is literally a new mind, an entirely separate beastie from the host, that literally confines the old consciousness?
Old 06-12-2014, 09:40 AM

Random thing I noticed: V used to have a gold circlet until he did the whole soul splice thing. Then V'd robe's turned all evil black and circlet was gone for flowing evil hair. After the splice was dispelled, V was immediately back in the old red robes but the circlet never returned and V went to a pony tail. Just seemed odd that the circlet would go away when the robes reverted to normal. I like the pony tail better anyway.
Old 06-12-2014, 09:42 AM

Quote:
Originally Posted by Hellestal View Post
Is this vampire thing normal for D&D?

I mean, that a vampire is literally a new mind, an entirely separate beastie from the host, that literally confines the old consciousness?
There's no D&D rules for the exact state of the soul or psyche when changed into a vampire. I'd say it's not "normal" in that I doubt many campaigns run it this way but it's not counter to the rules either.
Old 06-12-2014, 09:53 AM
Charter Member

I'd like to say that I think V's Plan C for protecting the ship from lightning is clever. It's a good thing that having a familiar no longer slips his mind.
Old 06-12-2014, 10:17 AM

Heh, the internet seems to be of the opinion that walls of force have to be vertical and that it's a bit unbelievable that V could create a shield in the instant between when the lightning forms and when it strikes.

I say, at this point, why not just cast Protection from Electricity on the ship.
Old 06-12-2014, 10:21 AM
Sith Mod

Quote:

I say, at this point, why not just cast Protection from Electricity on the ship.
Can't be cast on objects.
Old 06-12-2014, 10:29 AM

And the spell description for Wall of Force says "flat, vertical plane".
Old 06-12-2014, 11:41 AM

I can see V being able to cast the Wall of Force in time to intercept the strike, as that's an adaptation of the "ready" action.

You could plausibly argue that since Wall of Force is an Evocation spell that V, a specialist Evoker, might have one or two tricks up their sleeve to modify Evocation spells - and let's face it, V needs some advantage out of one of the worst possible choices for an arcane specialist (Evokers are outperformed by sorcerers with the right spells, and Warmages leave Sorcerers in the dust - if you want to be a blaster, go Warmage); this not to mention V's inexcusable choice of Conjuration as a banned school.
Old 06-12-2014, 12:37 PM
Charter Member

Quote:
And the spell description for Wall of Force says "flat, vertical plane".
Vertical in what frame of reference, though? Everyone and everything in the strip is flying, without the ground in sight.

Quote:
Originally Posted by MHaye View Post
I can see V being able to cast the Wall of Force in time to intercept the strike, as that's an adaptation of the "ready" action.

You could plausibly argue that since Wall of Force is an Evocation spell that V, a specialist Evoker, might have one or two tricks up their sleeve to modify Evocation spells - and let's face it, V needs some advantage out of one of the worst possible choices for an arcane specialist (Evokers are outperformed by sorcerers with the right spells, and Warmages leave Sorcerers in the dust - if you want to be a blaster, go Warmage); this not to mention V's inexcusable choice of Conjuration as a banned school.
Well, V has the Quicken Spell feat, but the Wall of Force didn't appear to be cast using it. (V would have said, "Quickened Wall of Force".) Also, the feat makes the spell take up a slot 4 levels higher, which would mean a 9th level slot. Even if V can cast 9th level spells--which is higher than we have evidence for--Wall of Force seems like an unlikely choice to prepare in one of those slots.

Quote:
Random thing I noticed: V used to have a gold circlet until he did the whole soul splice thing. Then V'd robe's turned all evil black and circlet was gone for flowing evil hair. After the splice was dispelled, V was immediately back in the old red robes but the circlet never returned and V went to a pony tail. Just seemed odd that the circlet would go away when the robes reverted to normal. I like the pony tail better anyway.
I think that circlet is V's Headband of Intellect +4, and may have been resized to serve as a ponytail holder in V's new look.
Old 06-12-2014, 01:14 PM

Quote:
Originally Posted by Balance View Post
Vertical in what frame of reference, though? Everyone and everything in the strip is flying, without the ground in sight.
Call it DM's discretion. I probably wouldn't let the player get away with that, but then Control Weather doesn't work the way Durkon wanted it to in Cliffport, either.

Quote:
Originally Posted by Balance View Post
I think that circlet is V's Headband of Intellect +4, and may have been resized to serve as a ponytail holder in V's new look.
http://www.giantitp.com/comics/oots0667.html Looks like you're right about that.
Old 06-12-2014, 01:47 PM

Huh. I always assumed the circlet was a solid gold band but then I was basing that off a yellow line in a stick figure based comic. Guess it could just as easily be a fine chain or woven or something.
Old 06-12-2014, 03:27 PM
Charter Member

Quote:
Huh. I always assumed the circlet was a solid gold band but then I was basing that off a yellow line in a stick figure based comic. Guess it could just as easily be a fine chain or woven or something.
Or just magic. Resizing is a pretty standard feature of magic items in game settings.
Old 06-12-2014, 06:09 PM

Quote:
Heh, the internet seems to be of the opinion that walls of force have to be vertical and that it's a bit unbelievable that V could create a shield in the instant between when the lightning forms and when it strikes.
The spell states :

Quote:
Originally Posted by SRD
The caster can form the wall into a flat, vertical plane whose area is up to one 10-foot square per level. The wall must be continuous and unbroken when formed. If its surface is broken by any object or creature, the spell fails.
RAW, I see no reason why V couldn't create a vertical wall of force 1 mm high and plenty-of-square-footage wide/thick. As for the instant casting, that's what readied actions are for ! Reaction time, schmeaction time : as we French DMs say, TGCM ("Shut up, it's magic")

Quote:
Originally Posted by Balance
Even if V can cast 9th level spells--which is higher than we have evidence for--Wall of Force seems like an unlikely choice to prepare in one of those slots.
Eh, I dunno, WoF can definitely swing a fight all by itself, and has a cornucopia of utility applications besides. Not sure I'd quicken one, especially considering the grooviness of lvl 9 spells (I'll have the Time Stops, all of them, please) but it wouldn't necessarily be a stoopid move, particularly if you're not planning on needing to Meteor Strike somebody today.

Last edited by Kobal2; 06-12-2014 at 06:09 PM.
Old 06-12-2014, 06:26 PM
Charter Member

Quote:
Eh, I dunno, WoF can definitely swing a fight all by itself, and has a cornucopia of utility applications besides. Not sure I'd quicken one, especially considering the grooviness of lvl 9 spells (I'll have the Time Stops, all of them, please) but it wouldn't necessarily be a stoopid move, particularly if you're not planning on needing to Meteor Strike somebody today.
I'm not dismissing the usefulness of WoF, by any means. I just doubt that V would consider quickening one a good use of a 9th level slot. If you're not specifically expecting to need an instant wall that day, Time Stop (as you point out) and Shapechange are better choices.

All of which is probably moot, because we're pretty sure V doesn't have any 9th-level slots.
Old 06-12-2014, 07:13 PM

Quote:
RAW, I see no reason why V couldn't create a vertical wall of force 1 mm high and plenty-of-square-footage wide/thick.
Because a Wall of Force is a plane - it has zero thickness. Normally this would be a problem because such a plane would have to be made of an infinitely strong material, but force is such a material.
Old 06-12-2014, 08:16 PM
Charter Member

Meh. Burlew's the author, not I (or anyone else caviling about his ALREADY-ANNOUNCED-AS-HIS-INTENTION tweaking of the rules to suit the story).

But I will observe that with respect to V's physical orientation at the time of casting, the WoF IS vertical.

Last edited by kaylasdad99; 06-12-2014 at 08:17 PM.