Old 09-23-2015, 11:14 AM

Quote:
Originally Posted by Martin Hyde View Post
Ehh, just based on their travel schedules alone it's basically bullshit to say the Bellas have no work ethic. Are they good wrestlers? No, and at this point in their careers if they were ever going to be we'd at least see some nascent talent in them. But they live on the road 300 days a year, are involved in multiple shows, do tons of events for WWE in addition to the televised shows and etc.

This is a business where women like Sable and Debra can become big stars, and I don't think that will ever change. It's cool that now there are some women who are real wrestlers--but the reality for me is even the absolute best female wrestlers that the IWC flips out over, I basically just do not care. I agree with something Sid Eudy said on a radio interview 4-5 years ago, women's wrestling is time on the card for something that possibly doesn't sell a single ticket. Even the best woman wrestler is just simply not compelling to me versus a male wrestler. I'm cool with admitting that it's sexist, but I like what I like. I don't like female MMA or female boxing either.

I will say traditional wrestling had something called a "valet", whose only job was to look hot and occasionally interfere for her man. That's the role people like Sable, Debra, the Bellas, and Lana belong in; if you're going to have women wrestling you shouldn't commingle the talents who really ought be valets and cannot wrestle with the talents that can. If you note before her wrist injury they were clearly trying to get Lana more physically involved in matches. That doesn't make sense, Lana's a valet, she should continue to work on her mic work (which was decent when she was managing Rusev) and continue to be physically attractive--that's her role in WWE, she's not a Paige or a Sasha Banks who was hired to wrestle.
Wow, I disagree with almost every word of this post. I've preferred women's wrestling to men's wrestling for about a decade now (not coincidentally, SHIMMER celebrates it's ten-year anniversary next month). I've reached the point where I only watch WWE to see the men and women I've followed since the indies, and fast-forward through almost everything else (except the New Day).

I also prefer women's MMA and women's boxing to men's, too.
Old 09-23-2015, 12:58 PM

Quote:
Originally Posted by Reluctant A. View Post
Wow, I disagree with almost every word of this post. I've preferred women's wrestling to men's wrestling for about a decade now (not coincidentally, SHIMMER celebrates it's ten-year anniversary next month). I've reached the point where I only watch WWE to see the men and women I've followed since the indies, and fast-forward through almost everything else (except the New Day).

I also prefer women's MMA and women's boxing to men's, too.
I'd say based on the fact that women's wrestling has been a thing since before I was born, and has never been a driver of significant merchandise sales or fan interest, you're in the extreme minority.

Women's MMA, or at least Ronda Rousey, appears to be a different thing. But almost no one is turning on WWE to watch the women, and given the long history of that being the case I'd be shocked if it ever changes.
Old 09-23-2015, 01:03 PM

And honestly, just from a product standpoint women's wrestling is often terrible. Maybe SHIMMER (which I'd never heard of, but is apparently an independent promotion specializing in women's wrestling) puts on good matches, but WWE has always been really spotty with its women's product. Even some of the competitors they have today who are capable of putting on a good match rarely do, when PPV matches or Raw matches sometimes only like 3-5 minutes I'm curious as to what you're getting out of them, especially since most of them simply aren't good matches--it's my position any wrestling match under 5 minutes is probably not that great.)
Old 09-23-2015, 01:25 PM

Quote:
I'd say based on the fact that women's wrestling has been a thing since before I was born, and has never been a driver of significant merchandise sales or fan interest, you're in the extreme minority...
And I've long since made peace with that. If it's all the same, I'll continue to let merchandise sales and fan interest be the problem of the people who's job it is to make money off of the product. I just like what I like. I will continue to support them with my dollars, and my viewership, and hope that there continue to be enough like-minded people to keep them in business. I would love for SHIMMER to become the standard bearer for professional wrestling, and become a legitimate rival to WWE in ratings, but I'm realistic enough to understand that it won't, and really can't. But, popularity does not equal quality, and the bell-to-bell content of SHIMMER's product far exceeds what is provided by WWE's main roster on a weekly basis (and, as I mentioned previously in this thread, I am a workrate mark), and has been for many years now. If they never attain the lofty success that I and people of my ilk think they deserve, I guess that's just life. Sometimes, the best you can hope for is that something that you really like is just popular enough that they afford to continue to keep the doors open.

If I gave two shits about ratings and popularity and merchandise sales, as it pertains to sports and entertainment, then I would also love American football, and hate women's basketball. But, well, I'm the opposite of that.
Old 09-23-2015, 01:46 PM

Quote:
And honestly, just from a product standpoint women's wrestling is often terrible. Maybe SHIMMER (which I'd never heard of, but is apparently an independent promotion specializing in women's wrestling) puts on good matches, but WWE has always been really spotty with its women's product. Even some of the competitors they have today who are capable of putting on a good match rarely do, when PPV matches or Raw matches sometimes only like 3-5 minutes I'm curious as to what you're getting out of them, especially since most of them simply aren't good matches--it's my position any wrestling match under 5 minutes is probably not that great.)
We're very fortunate to get a good match a week on Raw (and, I agree that 5-minute matches suck). At this point, I mostly continue to watch out of inertia and, as I said before, to see the men and women I cheered for on the indies, like Bryan Danielson (Daniel Bryan) Kevin Steen (Kevin Owens), Tyler Black (Seth Rollins), Claudio Castagnoli (Cesaro), Rebecca Knox (Becky Lynch), Brittani Knight (Paige), Davina Rose (Bayley), Prince Devitt (Finn Balor), Samoa Joe, El Generico (Sami Zayn), Tenille (Emma), Kana (Asuka) and Jessie McKay (Billie Kay).

About the only wrestlers that I tune in for that could be considered WWE products are Sasha Banks and the New Day; I'd be perfectly content if the rest fell into a sinkhole.
Old 09-23-2015, 09:46 PM

I remember seeing SHIMMER in somebody's background when I look them up in Wikipedia, but this is actually the first time I've seen it mentioned in conversation. Therefore, I know just a cunt hair more than nothing about it. How does one see it?

NXT pretty much sucked tonight, except for the last match and Enzo & Cass's promo. of which I have little idea of what they actually said. The Eva Mannekin/Carmella match was slow as molasses, but I did learn that the participants have to face the camera when they attempt a pin. Eva took Carmy down, butt facing the camera, then she jumped over to pin from the proper side. The audience booed not because Eva is a heel and heels are supposed to be booed COREY LAYFIELD... they booed because Eva hardly moved when Carmella flipped through the ropes and somehow became crippled when she made contact with the metal grating.

And then later on Bull knocks down Tyler and takes 5 minutes to climb the ropes, and Tyler rolls out of the way. Bull brings him back in with a flip, makes another 5 minute climb, and how about that, he loses!

I'm doomed. Dana Brooke barely speaks English better than Asuka, but she's growing on me.
Old 09-23-2015, 10:25 PM

Quote:
Originally Posted by Knowed Out View Post
I remember seeing SHIMMER in somebody's background when I look them up in Wikipedia, but this is actually the first time I've seen it mentioned in conversation. Therefore, I know just a cunt hair more than nothing about it. How does one see it?
Been listening to Stone Cold's Unleashed podcast recently?

Shimmer doesn't put on regular shows, as such: they have shows twice yearly, in Berwyn, IL, just outside of Chicago, where they tape four DVDs in two days. In the last couple of years, though, they have also joined the indy promotions who take advantage of the influx of fans for Wrestlemania, to do a one-off show in the city/area that Mania takes place.

Some of the more noteworthy SHIMMER alums to wrestle in either WWE or TNA (just sticking to women who held titles in one of the two televised promotions) include: Beth Phoenix, Natalya, Taylor Wilde, Awesome Kong/Kharma, Sarita, Madison Rayne, Hamada, Britani Knight, Winter and Bayley.
Old 09-24-2015, 12:15 PM

According to this article...

Sting had no damage according to his CAT scan and according to his Agent he's supposed to make "a full recovery". That could be a lot of up-talk, but no damage is a berry good thing
Old 09-24-2015, 12:31 PM

Another thing that was brought to my attention that prompted another thought that I wanted to share...

The Royal Rumble, at the Amway Center in my sunny Orlando neighborhood, is booked the same week as the NFC Championshiyaaaaa (there are no P's in that word according to Lillian Garcia). They did this because apparently the Magic have a home game the next week. A podcast I listen to said how huge of a mistake that is and that they should have just moved cities. I'm assuming they said this because, given the choice, America is going to watch my Packers beat whoever they end up playing rather than watch the Rumble but my question is....does the WWE even care?

Because it's a PPV that kinda-sorta has it's own ratings system they want to be able to report big numbers for their shareholders or whatever, but because of how hard they push the network, and how badly they want people to subscribe to it, they don't really NEED people to watch it Sunday at 8. Wouldn't they be just as happy to have people watch it Monday at Noon? I'm not saying that they should just blow off Sunday and focus their marketing on "Just make sure you watch before RAW! And you can watch it on Monday only on the WWE Network!"

so the TL;DR version of this is basically there is a good chance that a lot of people are going to rather watch football on that Sunday than the Rumble, but I propose since it's a PPV and not a RAW that the WWE probably doesn't care too much because they want views on the Network anyway and they can just say "Watch it now"
Old 09-24-2015, 01:10 PM

Well, let's put some blame on that game plan. Who decided it was necessary to subject a 56 year old man to buckle bombs and other hard hits on his back and neck?

While some of that might make logical fighting sense, I do recall that NOT ONE PERSON ever targeted Steve Austin's brace covered knees.
Old 09-24-2015, 04:12 PM

From Sting's interview with wwe.com, take it how you will considering the source: he comes across as having no regrets (aside from the massive amounts of pain) and considers it an honor to have worked with Seth Rollins, who he thinks is a true professional. He doesn't blame Seth and knew the risks he was taking.

I remember how awesome Sting was in UWF, NWA and then WCW. I saw him work a few matches in TNA, but it was clear he had gotten past his prime. While I'm glad he got a chance to work in WWE and become firmly established in wrestling history, there was no way he could match his past awesomeness.

I remember my first Oh SHIT! moment with Sting. This move happens all the time now, but I would venture to say Sting did it first. In a match with Arn Anderson, he'd foil Arn's offense and Arn would bail out of the ring. After this happened a couple more times, Sting finally charged and vaulted the top rope and landed on Arn. I don't remember seeing anybody ever doing that before.
Old 09-24-2015, 04:21 PM
Charter Member

I don't doubt for a moment that Sting was fully onboard with every bump he took in that match. If Sting says he can handle a spot and that this isn't the end for him, I trust him on it. He strikes me as being a fairly humble guy ever since he found religion, and he's definitely in better shape than I'm liable to be at 56, to say nothing of other wrestlers his age who didn't go clean (looking at you, Scott Hall.) He doesn't strike me as the kind of guy who'd force himself to keep wrestling after his body's no longer capable of putting up with it (looking at you, Kurt Angle), so I'm going to hold out hope that he gets at least one more match and at least manages to score one clean singles win in his WWE career.

In other news, Finn Balor let it slip in an interview today that the plan is that the next Takeover special after London is going to be in Texas on WrestleMania weekend.

Last edited by Smapti; 09-24-2015 at 04:22 PM.
Old 09-25-2015, 08:12 AM

Tomorrow I'm going to see CHIKARA! I'll be sure to take notes and see if I can get some good pix.

Smackdown "Bit the Bullet" report 9/24

Corporate Kane is happy Kane, and kicks off the show with happy announcements. Seth comes out to whine about being pulled to the depths of hell, but Kane feigns ignorance. Seth whines some more, and Kane cheerily replies "It's not like I'm purposely wanting you to account for mistreating me by making sure you suffer endlessly and painfully for your transgressions." He then announces Seth will take on Dean Ambrose in the main event.

Booker says "My sources tell me Kane is suffering from split personality disorder. There's meds for that and he can lead a normal life." Never thought I'd miss JBL.

Luke Harper vs Roman Reigns - I wish this could have been a longer match. The Wyatts vs 2/3 Shield has been a good solid feud, but it looks like Dean and Roman are heading back to singles competition and the feud with the Wyatts is no more. There was no feeling that this was personal, or that grudges were being resolved. It was Roman vs no-name jobber and over with in 2 minutes.

New-hoo Day-hee vs Neville and Lucha Dragons - Lovely bowling pin spot that inevitably occurs when LD and N are involved. As New Day was outside, Sin Cara charged over the top rope as Neville and Kallisto dove from the top turnbuckles. Lame ending when Xavier knees SC in the head and pins him. The announcers tried to cover by saying Kofi distracted SC or something.

Cesaro vs Bo Dallas - All Cesaro had to do was Bo-lieve, and it worked with a win, but the match was booked to make it look like Bo was actually dangerous and not comedy relief. Cesna rolls Bo into a Gordian Knot for the win.

Diva Drama - Charlotte (& hanger-on Becky Lynch) came out to thank the fans for backing her. Paige came out to piss on her party. I like Paige when she's a heel. She's so good at it. Natalya came out to cool Paige down and congratulate Charlotte, and Paige slapped her. I guess the other Diva coalitions will dissolve too.

Kevin Owens and Rusev vs Dolph Ziggler and Ryback - Zig gets trashed for most of the match as usual. He hot tags Ryback, but KO chose the moment to desert. Zig superkicks Roos into Ryback's Shell Shock and the faces win lol. KO points to his title and says "This matters more." Poor Roos. First Lana, now KO.

Dean Ambrose vs Seth Rollins - These two are my favorite match in any occasion. They know each other so well. They go from spot to spot seamlessly. At match's end, Seth and Dean squirm from Pedigree tease to Dirty Deeds tease until Seth has his finisher locked in. Then, red lights, flames, organ music, here comes... nobody. Seth is bewildered. He looks for holes in the ring, and Dean rolls him up for the win. Kane is shown backstage watching the match and smiling. Seth grabs the mike after the match and reminds everybody what he did to Sting, which is actually the first time after NoC the Stinger's broken condition has been addressed.

DEPP!
Old 09-25-2015, 09:57 AM
Charter Member

Quote:
but KO chose the moment to desert
Does KO finish any tag team match? I know I wouldn't want to be his partner.
Old 09-25-2015, 11:18 AM

He's like the modern-day Bad News Brown. Except they let him win titles.
Old 09-25-2015, 11:49 AM

Quote:
Originally Posted by Sir T-Cups View Post
The Royal Rumble, at the Amway Center in my sunny Orlando neighborhood, is booked the same week as the NFC Championshiyaaaaa (there are no P's in that word according to Lillian Garcia). They did this because apparently the Magic have a home game the next week. A podcast I listen to said how huge of a mistake that is and that they should have just moved cities. I'm assuming they said this because, given the choice, America is going to watch my Packers beat whoever they end up playing rather than watch the Rumble but my question is....does the WWE even care?
They can always work around it - for example, have the end of the Rumble turn into a "pop contest" (two wrestlers each appear to have won; the referees discuss it; "The winner is-"; play one wrestler's music; the referees discuss it some more; "The winner is-"; play the other's music; the referees discuss it some more; "Ladies and gentlemen, it's a tie!" - I call it a "pop contest" as the obvious intent is to see which wrestler gets the bigger pop from the crowd), but instead of having both wrestlers qualify for a title shot at WM, whoever the commissioner is comes out and announces, "After what happened at WrestleMania X, the WrestleMania title shot will be decided tomorrow night on RAW in a ladder match."
Old 09-25-2015, 12:03 PM

Upon watching the Hulu version of Smackdown during lunch, just wanna thank Booker T for not only being the most godawful announcer ever, but also burying the freaking World Championship belt by asking "Why would Kane want that?". An active wrestler wanting the championship? Ludicrous!

Also want to thank Nattie for burying the women's title by saying "You fighting for all of this (referencing the belt) is stupid!"

Good Job everyone
Old 09-25-2015, 12:33 PM

Quote:
Originally Posted by D_Odds View Post
Does KO finish any tag team match? I know I wouldn't want to be his partner.
I think it's the second time he bailed out on Rusev.
Old 09-25-2015, 09:50 PM
Charter Member

I went to the state fair today and took the opportunity to break in my newly-acquired Finn Balor shirt. I got a surprising number of compliments from strangers about how cool/scary/creepy the demon face on the front was, even though none of them seemed to know it was a wrestler. Most memorable was the old lady who took my ticket at the front gate, and smiled and said "I really like your shirt, even though it's THE DEVIL."

(PS: Deep-fried butter is overrated.)
Old 09-26-2015, 12:08 PM

You actually ate deep-fried butter and survived? Just reading that made my blood pressure double.
Old 09-26-2015, 12:37 PM
Charter Member

Quote:
You actually ate deep-fried butter and survived? Just reading that made my blood pressure double.
Most of the butter just soaks into the breading during the cooking process. What you're left with is basically just a mostly-hollow crispy fried elephant ear that gushes a bit of liquid butter when you bite into it. Just go with an actual elephant ear (which probably has more butter in and on it anyway).
Old 09-26-2015, 07:39 PM

At the Indiana state fair I had deep fried Pepsi.

All it really was was the syrup put in the batter, which was a crispy elephant ear that vaguely tasted of Pepsi.

Honestly the Wisconsin Cheese Truck is where it's at when it comes to fair food.
Old 09-27-2015, 10:48 AM

All right, I'm going to go ahead and type up the Chikara show I saw in Gibsonville NC last night. I took photos on my Android, and I'm currently trying to figure out how to transfer them to Google Drive. I'll post links to them later.

I got there about 10 minutes late. I didn't recognize the place at first. It looked like one of those strip malls way out in the country that lease to churches and not-so-discreet business ventures. I walked around the whole structure before I found the entrance. It was a nice little setup, and I do men little. The front lobby had already been decked out for merchandising and photo ops with the stars. A match had already started. I found my co-worker and his wife and sat next to them.

I had front row seats, which meant I could practically reach out and touch the ring. There was very little room for out-of-ring action, so the audience had to get and move out of the way in case it took place. My side was considered the rear. The referee kept getting in the way of my good shots.

Pix of roster for reference

The emcee was a curly haired Greek guy named Gavin Loudspeaker. He really knew how to work the audience. He was all over the arena and among the crowd at points, and got the kids involved.

Much like LU, the girls take on the men. Each wrestler had their own flag that they got to come out with a wave during their intro. Chikara rules DQ anybody who engages in "Excessive Violence." The Trios matches allow wrestlers to step in when one of their team gets thrown out, without having to tag. Otherwise, a lot like WWE. One thing I noticed a lot of wrestlers were doing, is that whenever a fist or boot would make contact, they'd slap the side of their own belly to get the SMACK sound.

Challenge of the Immortals series - I guess it's some kind of tournament that's spread over the season, one for singles, one for tag team, and one for trios.

Chuck Taylor and Orange Cassidy vs Amasis and Worker Ant - There's about 10 guys who have some kind of ant gimmick. I'm guessing if you haven't thought of an identity yet, they make you one of the ants. Taylor and Cassidy were the young cocky heels. I don't recall the masked guys contributing much offense, as the heels were always jacking and jawing and posing for the audience. They would even lean over the ropes and tell the front row "Watch this! I'm going to cheat!" and do something underhanded. Taylor and Cassidy won.

Jakob Hammermeier vs Argus, the Master of the Gecko-Roman Style - Argus wears a green bodysuit and mask, like a lizard. During intermission, he sat in the ring ropes and sold T-shirts. Argus was pretty good. I wasn't too impressed with Jakob, but he won the match.

Gavin announced that the next match had a *Magic Move.* If anybody in the next match performed a Over-the-top-rope Cross-body Plancha, otherwise known as the Pescado Plancha, everybody in the audience would get a free souvenir Chikara drinking cup.

Mr. Touchdown vs Frightmare - John Cena is obviously Mr. Touchdown's role model. I really liked him. He did a lot of high impact moves and showed a high level of energy. Frightmare was more of a generic lucha and didn't really act the heel too much. When TD was down and Frightmare left the ring, I thought he was going to do the *Magic Move* and got the crowd to chanting PES-CA-DO! PES-CA-DO! He did something else though. TD later set FM up for a superflex, but a girder was directly over that part of the ring, so he had to hold him at an angle before hitting the floor. Then, FM fell out of the ring and TD did the Pascado Plancha on him, so we all got a free cup! FM won with a crucifix later.

The Last of the Dying Breed Eddie Kingston vs Oleg the Usurper - Eddie was using Bull Demspey's old bruiser gimmick, while Oleg was channeling Nord the Barbarian. Oleg was awesome. He really got into character. He was a tall dude with long hair and beard dressed like a viking. He'd stomp around and talk like Volstagg from Thor comics. "I need more speed" he'd announce before running the ropes and doing a corner charge. "Want me to squash little man?" he'd ask the audience. We started singing OLEG OLEGOLEGOLEG OLEGGGG OLEGGGG like for Sami Zayn. Eddie popped Oleg in the chest a few dozen times during the match, and it sounded painful. At one point, Oleg had Eddie down for the three count, but Eddie had his leg draped over the bottom rope. I sang OH LEG OH LEG OH LEG OH LEGGGG... Oleg eventually won with "Off With His Head."

During intermission, the stars were at their tables singing autographs and getting their pictures taken with fans. Oleg was milling around talking to people. He saw me taking a picture of him, so he came up to me and put his arm around me. "Let's do selfie." The Android thing is new to me though, and I couldn't figure out how to switch views. He said "Don't worry, Oleg show you how." He went ahead and pushed every button he could find. I said "Thanks, oh Mighty Oleg" and spent the rest of intermission fixing my phone back.

Prakash Sabar wears a mask that looks like X-Pac, wild long hair with tongue hanging out. He was at the heel table, and kept his hand up with the wolf gesture the whole time.

Challenge of the Immortals Trios match - Devastation Corporation (Max Smashmaster, Blaster McMassive and Flex Rumblecrush) vs The Ice Creams (Ice Cream Jr. and El Hijo Del Ice Cream) and Princess Kimberlee

The DC guys were the three largest on Chikara's roster teamed together, and all wore Road Warriors style face paint. Max was a big fat dude, probably 350 lbs or so. Blaster looks kind of like Titus O'Neill with a beard. Flex was a tall blond guy. The Ice Creams weren't much bigger than Kimberlee, who resembles Alexa Bliss pre-heel. This match had some funny moments, mainly because the Ice Creams were so ineffective. Kimberlee wound up working most of the match and took most of DC's killer finishing moves. Max was eventually DQ'ed for the above mentioned "Excessive Violence" rule when he used the Tombstone Piledriver on one of the Ice Creams three times.

Before the next match, Gavin came out and praised the NC audience for being so awesome, and plugged NC band The Mountain Goats, who I guess has a new album coming out. He mentioned the album has a wrestling theme.

Proletariat Boar of Moldavia (with his manager Juan Francisco de Coranado and valet Prakash Sabar) vs Shynron

Shynron is Chikara's version of Kallisto. PBoM is a tall guy wearing a boar mask with tusks, and actually has a tail. Juan acted the prissy heel manager, and Prakash was the sneaky underling. PBoM needs more steroids to be an effective monster heel, but Shynron made the match anyway. He did all the high-flying aerial moves. At one point, he was pummeled in the corner, and while the ref was admonishing PBoM, Prakasfh slipped into the ring and did X-Pac's Bronco Buster on Shynron. Near the match's end, all three heels were gathered outside the ring close to where I was sitting, and Shyn grabbed on the overhead girder, climbed over, and dropped on them. I managed to get a few good pix of that part which I hope to post later. Shynron eventually won the match.

Challenge of the Immortals Trios match - Missile Assault Ant (I think), Lucas Calhoun and Kevin Condron (with Arctic Ant) vs Icaraus, Heidi Lovelace and Dasher Hatfield (with Mr. TD)

MA Ant had a mask with LED lights and took it off. He's otherwise a bald bearded guy wearing urban camos. Lucas Calhoun is a fat Elvis impersonator like Honky Tonk Man. Kevin Condron is like Raven, a brooding emo guy in white T-shirt and black pants. There was some kind of love triangle story with he, Icarus and Heidi. I gather Kevin and Heidi used to be a couple, but he got too controlling and emotionally abusive, so she left him for Icarus. Icarus has long blond hair and wears a bodysuit with wing designs. Heidi is kind of like NEXT's Bayley, but not as exuberant. Dasher wears a mask of a guy with a curly mustache, like something from the Vaudeville era.

The match started with Kevin vs Icarus. KC laid down and said "pin me, I don't care." The ref wouldn't allow it. I yelled "Go back to your barrista job and next time DOUBLE LATTE!" I also chanted "I'M I-RON-IC" clap clap clapclapclap but it didn't catch on. The other heels wouldn't tag KC any more as the match went on, so he sat down in his corner looking depressed.

Ant Guy seemed to be the most talented of the bunch as far as working ability goes, but everybody else did their jobs well. At one point, he had Heidi in dire straits, but Kevin ran in and wouldn't let him execute the move. Still pines for Heidi. Icarus ran in and all the sudden the action took place at super speed. He kept throwing Kevin to the corner and doing a flying charge on him, and damn, those dudes were fast! I watched a Kevin Condron match when I got him, and he's really talented. He didn't actually work too much in this match, but he played his role well. He retrieved a chair from backstage and acted like he was going to use it on Icarus, but reconsidered and left the building instead. Dasher eventually got the win for his team.

Gavin came out and thanked us for coming, but we chanted ONE MORE MATCH! ONE MORE MATCH! Gavin came back without his shirt. I thought he was going to be in the encore match. He kept saying they were too tired and had been out on the road for too long, but then we got our encore match.

Juan Francisco de Caronado vs Silver Ant - Silver Ant won with the Nokomura Lock.

After the event was over, I drove out of the parking lot and saw Kevin Condron standing outside the entrance alone, brooding. He was still in character! I pulled over and got a couple of pix of him. He acted like I wasn't there. I must say, I was expecting silliness and stupidity for this event, but didn't expect this level of serious commitment. Hats off to Kevin Condron. He is now my favorite indie.
Old 09-27-2015, 11:00 AM

Sorry about the typos, but the edit window expired. I meant to add Prakash was still standing in the lobby after the event was over, with his hand up doing the Wolf Sign. I said "Doesn't your arm ever lose circulation?" One of the DC guys behind him said "No."
Old 09-27-2015, 02:55 PM

Chikara show pics

Chuck Taylor and Orange Cassidy vs Amasis and Worker Ant 1

Chuck Taylor and Orange Cassidy vs Amasis and Worker Ant 2

Referee expresses his dismay at the Kentucky Gentlemen

Argus lies in defeat

Mr. Touchdown setting up Frightmare for the Superflex

Mr. Touchdown and Frightmare about to collide

Oleg the Usurper makes his entrance

Some of the Ants manning the merchandise tables

Mr. Touchdown, Dasher and Princess Kimberlee

Prakash Sabar channeling X-Pac

Oleg usurps my camera

Mr. Touchdown and Icarus

Flex Rumblecrush overlooks the crowd

Devastation Corporation show off

One of the Ice Creams waves his freak flag

Kimberlee eats cellulite

Max asks the referee "Is this legal?" before getting DQ'ed

Proletariat Boar of Moldavia makes his entrance, followed by Juan Francisco de Coranado

Shynron and his flag

Prakash Shabar performs the homoerotic Bronco Buster on Shynron

Girder Dive 1

Girder Dive 2

Girder Dive 3

Girder Dive Aftermath

YOUR WINNAH... SHYNRON!!!

Icarus and Louis Calhoun collide

Heidi is cruel to Louis Calhoun

But we we're too tired to give you an encore match.

Juan doesn't realize Silver Ant is right behind him

Max, Blaster, Juan and Boar at their table

Icarus being stolid

Me with my Chikara cup, Wyatt Family shirt and thumb

Kevin Condron brooding in the darkness
Old 09-28-2015, 09:34 AM

Wow...those are some great pics!

Sounded like a good show
Old 09-28-2015, 12:44 PM
Charter Member

It has just come to my attention that WWE has announced that Hornswoggle is being suspended for 30 days for a Wellness Policy violation.

This is shocking for several reasons, in particular because I didn't realize Hornswoggle was still employed, or that there was any possibility of him being on TV in the next 30 days.
Old 09-28-2015, 01:00 PM

Quote:
Originally Posted by Smapti View Post
It has just come to my attention that WWE has announced that Hornswoggle is being suspended for 30 days for a Wellness Policy violation.

This is shocking for several reasons, in particular because I didn't realize Hornswoggle was still employed, or that there was any possibility of him being on TV in the next 30 days.
Doesn't he show up on the network every now and then? Also, the first offense is the first step towards a second, and then third (and fireable), offense. I'm a little surprised it didn't give any specifics as to what caused the violation - I can guess "drugs," but what drugs?
Old 09-28-2015, 02:02 PM
Charter Member

Quote:
Originally Posted by That Don Guy View Post
Doesn't he show up on the network every now and then? Also, the first offense is the first step towards a second, and then third (and fireable), offense. I'm a little surprised it didn't give any specifics as to what caused the violation - I can guess "drugs," but what drugs?
WWE doesn't usually publicize the nature of the failure - us marks only hear about it if the suspendee goes public with it themselves.

The last suspension before this was Ricardo Rodriguez in 2013, who was using some sort of prohibited weight loss drug.
Old 09-28-2015, 02:03 PM

Wouldn't be marijuana, because that's no longer a suspension, just a $2,500 fine. Had to be sharing/passing around pain meds or something. After all, didn't we just see a news article in the last couple of weeks with someone talking about how Randy Orton (multiple time suspendee) gave him some serious pain meds?
Old 09-28-2015, 04:32 PM

OK I'm just gonna say it... GROWTH HORMONE maybe?
Old 09-28-2015, 04:39 PM

If that's the case, I'd say his pills are defective.
Old 09-29-2015, 12:34 PM
Charter Member

Emma has now launched her own cooking show, "Taste of Tenille", on Youtube.

(Insert "I'd sure like to get a Taste of Tenille" joke here)

Seriously, though, her first recipe does look tasty.

Last edited by Smapti; 09-29-2015 at 12:34 PM.
Old 09-29-2015, 03:34 PM

Count me as another person who wasn't aware that Hornswoggle was still employed by WWE. That begs the question of "Why?"

It's likely that he wasn't going to appear on television for the next 30 days anyway, but I assume the suspension also means he's not getting paid for those 30 days.
Old 09-30-2015, 07:51 AM

Hornswoggle's been on a few episodes of Swerved, as well as seldom seen stars like Heath Slater, so he's working for WWE in some fashion or another.

I'm digging the HR Evaluation of Kane angle. He and Daniel Bryan had some hilarious moments from their Anger Management storyline, and he and Seth are showing the same chemistry. I love the way he played all innocent and charming while Seth kept digging himself into his own grave. I was yawning over the yet-another-ambulance scene, but didn't expect the demon Kane transformation. Kane's still got his moments.

I also don't mind that the Wyatts and 2/3 Shield feud is continuing. Lengthy feuds become legendary, like the Four Horsemen vs Sting.
Old 09-30-2015, 11:50 AM
Charter Member

So, this Saturday evening, the house show from Madison Square Garden will be airing live on the WWE Network, marking the first time in years that WWE has taped a show out of the Garden. (MSG charges its clients extra for shows that are going to be taped, and they can't sell as many seats because they have to put the production equipment inside the arena instead of parking it on the street). Much like the Tokyo show, this is just a house show that decided to be taped, but MSG shows even in this day and age are special; the Garden was the WWF's homebase back in the day, and they tend to go the extra mile for these shows to a degree that they wouldn't for a typical house show.

We have a full announced card for this show, so here's this week's edition of Smapti's Probably-Correct-Unless-They-Aren't Match Predictions;

* John Cena vs. Seth Rollins, steel cage match for the US title. CENAWINSLOL... but hopefully in a way that makes Seth look like less of a goober than he has been lately. They're moving Rollins away from the Authority and into more of a babyface role, and since WWE only knows one way to book a babyface in a championship feud, that means they have to lose over and over and get beaten down at the end of every single show. Rollins obviously isn't going to win here, since he's got the match with Kane coming up at HIAC and there's no point in doing another dual-championship run for him, but he should at least lose in a way that still leaves him looking strong - maybe his feet hit the floor just a few seconds before Cena's do. My prediction at this point is that Rollins is going to hold the world title until WrestleMania, so he needs to at least look like a credible champion in the meantime.

* Brock Lesnar vs. Big Show. BRAWK SMASH. Are we supposed to have forgotten that they did this same match at the Royal Rumble last year? I can't see this one going any differently - Brock no-sells everything and then proceeds to murderkill Show to death for ten minutes.

* New Day vs. Dudley Boyz for the tag titles. I'm going to give the Dudleyz the win here, so that when the New Day demand their rematch at Hell in a Cell, the Dudleyz can agree to give it to them on one condition - that it be a tables match.

* Randy Orton vs. Sheamus. UUUUUUUUUUUUUUUUUUUUUGH. Who won the last one in this best-of-500 series? Sheamus, right? That means it's Orton's turn.

* Dolph Ziggler vs. Rusev. Same question as above, therefore Ziggler wins.

* Kevin Owens vs. Chris Jericho for the IC title. Owens wins, but they'll tell a great story on their way to that inevitability.

Kane, Stardust, Mark Henry, and the Bellas are also listed as scheduled to attend, though they don't have matches announced. A women's title rematch with Charlotte wouldn't be out of order, and Stardust/Henry would make a good match. Kane, if he shows up, will likely get involved in the main event in some way. We definitely won't be seeing the Wyatts since they're playing the other house show tour that same night, so at least we can be assured there won't be any antics on their part.
Old 09-30-2015, 01:36 PM

Quote:

I'm digging the HR Evaluation of Kane angle. He and Daniel Bryan had some hilarious moments from their Anger Management storyline, and he and Seth are showing the same chemistry. I love the way he played all innocent and charming while Seth kept digging himself into his own grave. I was yawning over the yet-another-ambulance scene, but didn't expect the demon Kane transformation. Kane's still got his moments.
Apparently the HR lady really is a WWE HR person, not just a random local actor. She did pretty well considering that.
Old 09-30-2015, 01:40 PM
Charter Member

Quote:
Originally Posted by dzeiger View Post
Apparently the HR lady really is a WWE HR person, not just a random local actor. She did pretty well considering that.
I've read that that's not actually the case - there is an Ashley who works for WWE HR, but the Ashley that appeared on Raw isn't that person.
Old 09-30-2015, 02:17 PM

I thought she might have been one of the new NXT trainees, or a local actress they signed up for the night. All she really had to do was read the report live. I noticed one of the technicians was guiding her away.

I remember when Mick Foley and The Rock did the "This is Your Life" segment, they hired local actors and actresses to be Rock's childhood teachers. They had no lines and no idea he was going to diss them on the air like that.
Old 09-30-2015, 10:20 PM

I find it interesting that the match that lead off NXT today was actually the last match we saw during the tapings and was called "the main event".

Also, how dumb is the name "Takeover: Respect? Horrible
Old 10-01-2015, 08:51 AM

NXT seems to have changed the star tracking formula. Instead of having them squash no-name jobbers, they're finding people with long indie experience like Gargano and Ciampa to put on good matches before jobbing. It does kind of suck when the announcers aren't aware of their resumes and don't make them sound like worthy competition, though. Graves called Ciampa ugly, even though he's got that hideous tattoo on his neck that looks like swamp rot.
Old 10-01-2015, 09:00 AM
Charter Member

Speaking of Gargano, I'm reading that he challenged his main rival in WWN to a "loser leaves town" match at their next event. I wonder if that's a sign that he might be going full-time?

I certainly hope they sign him and Ciampa and let them keep their names - the whole idea of NXT being a sort of "proving ground" where wrestlers from all over can get a shot at a contract has good storyline potential.
Old 10-01-2015, 09:28 AM
Charter Member

Quote:
I also don't mind that the Wyatts and 2/3 Shield feud is continuing. Lengthy feuds become legendary, like the Four Horsemen vs Sting.
Tommy Rich versus Mad Dog Buzz Sawyer
Tommy Dreamer versus Raven
Rock 'n Roll Express versus Midnight Express

They sure do.
Old 10-01-2015, 11:06 AM
Charter Member

Quote:
Originally Posted by D_Odds View Post
Tommy Rich versus Mad Dog Buzz Sawyer
Tommy Dreamer versus Raven
Rock 'n Roll Express versus Midnight Express

They sure do.
Don't forget Sheamus versus Randy Orton.

Snark aside, I thought the final segment of Raw was mostly well done. Could have done without the time that Bray and Roman were wandering through the audience, but to my pleasant surprise there were no run-ins, and the way they ended it was a change from the usual formula. Interesting to see where they go from here.
Old 10-01-2015, 12:35 PM
Charter Member

Referees in tag matches never call a DQ if there's a pin attempt being made and the pin-ee's partner runs in to break the pin. That's a loophole that wouldn't exist in a legitimate sport much along the lines of the "The heel champ doesn't have to lose the title unless he feels like it" problem I've described before, and I hate when it happens.

However, on last night's NXT, they did a spot in the finish of the Dusty Classic match where Finn went for the pin on Enzo Amore, and Samoa Joe stood guard next to him in case Big Cass ran in to break it up.

In kayfabe, that is an extremely clever bit of genre-savvy on the part of Joe - he knows the ref won't call it if Cass runs in to break the pin, but he also knows the ref won't force him out of the ring, so he may as well stay there and make sure the three-count happens. I like when they actually manage to book something clever like that.
Old 10-01-2015, 12:49 PM

Looks like Finn's been jumping too high for his finishing maneuver. He's put his head through the ceiling a few times.
Old 10-01-2015, 04:06 PM

Quote:
Originally Posted by Smapti View Post

I certainly hope they sign him and Ciampa and let them keep their names - the whole idea of NXT being a sort of "proving ground" where wrestlers from all over can get a shot at a contract has good storyline potential.
Too late for Ciampa. Early in the evening, he appeared on NXT, where people go who want to end up on the main WWE roster, an hour later he showed up on TNA, where people go after they are done with their time on the main WWE roster.

So he had a full WWE career in two hours, without ever being part of the full roster.
Old 10-01-2015, 07:59 PM

Anyone watch the newest Table for 3? Ziggler, Bryan and Ryback.

After watching NXT with no issues, I couldn't watch this for more than about 5 seconds without it freezing up. Ultimately unwatchable for me. I'll try again later.

Ryback really is Cryback. He accused DBD of being the biggest bully in the locker room. Why? Because he and Cody Rhodes are the biggest ribbers.

Cryback tells a story about how he refuses to ride with anyone because they were mean to him. They took him to Panera, where he'd never been before. He says they told him they'd help him order. They ordered their stuff and sat down without helping him. And that's what he's angry about. Bryan tells about how Ryback is going off on the poor cashier and yelling at her. Ryback says he was seeing red, but he wasn't yelling. Bryan says he yelled out "DO YOU HAVE SALADS???" and points out that the menu board was right behind her. Ryback admits that he'd never been in the place, had a very strict diet and has since 'expanded my options', but yeah, big crybaby confused by new place, can't bother reading menu, having a melt-down. I think he's the only one who could see Bryan as a "bully" in that situation.

Geez, I was trying to like the guy and was hoping this would help, but no. Lost a lot of respect for the guy.
Old 10-01-2015, 10:29 PM

Some guys just don't like ribbing and/or being ribbed and, usually, when ribbers hear that they turn it up to 11 versus respecting the person's opinion...thus making him more mad.
Old 10-02-2015, 03:04 AM

I havent watched wrestling in a long time and was wondering what happened to some of the legends. I so regret reading up on Bobby Heenan:

https://en.wikipedia.org/wiki/Bobby_Heenan

Quote:
Heenan later recovered from throat cancer, but lost a great deal of weight, dramatically changing his appearance, and suffered a drastic change in his voice. Following early treatments, Heenan spoke in a soft, high-pitched tone which contrasts noticeably with the strong, rugged tone fans were accustomed to hearing him use as a color commentator. Heenan went from being 246 pounds (112 kg) to being 190 pounds (86 kg) or even less.

In December 2007, Heenan had reconstructive surgery on his jaw, after the first surgery was unsuccessful. Heenan was placed in a medically induced coma and was slowly brought out.[22] In the second half of January 2008, Heenan had come out of his medically induced coma. Though not yet able to speak, he was communicating with his eyes. He has more surgeries to come, but they are plastic surgeries to reconstruct facial features. The reconstructing of his jaw is complete. In October 2008, it was reported that Heenan was then able to speak a few sentences before he gets tired. In February 2009, it was reported that while Heenan is still relearning how to speak clearly, he was out of the hospital and was planning on attending some Major League Baseball spring training sessions. Heenan accompanied Gene Okerlund to the WWE Hall of Fame the day before WrestleMania XXV. Heenan was briefly shown on-camera during the ceremony, one of a number of segment cutaways showing prior inductees seated in the audience, displaying visible signs of the effects of his illness.

On December 11, 2009, Bobby Heenan was hospitalized at the H. Lee Moffitt Cancer Center in Tampa, FL after an examination of his rebuilt jaw found an infection that needed to be treated. As a result, Heenan missed his scheduled appearance at the K&S Wrestlefest event in New Jersey. By 2010, Heenan's jaw infection was completely eradicated. In 2011 he broke a hip and his pelvis in a fall and recovered within a few months.

According to an interview given by Jim Ross in October 2013, Heenan is "hanging in there." However, he is continuing to have trouble speaking as a result of tongue cancer treatments.[23] In April 2014, while in Las Vegas to attend a wedding, he fell out of bed and broke a shoulder. In September 2014, he suffered another fall and broke a hip.
Its tragic but at least he is still alive,