Old 11-20-2017, 09:06 AM

I downloaded the app just to watch these, and it was well worth the time. As per the usual pattern, big revelations about the Gems in the homeworld episodes are balanced by lower key Beach City episodes and relationship stuff.
The only big Gem History revelation is Pearl. It becomes clear that she is physically unable to share certain information with Steven, no matter how much she wants to. What used to seem like a tic or a habit- clamping her hand over her mouth when important Gem stuff comes up- Is revealed to be involuntary. More obsessive fans than I will have to rewatch and catalog when this happens, and infer what information is being hidden.
Old 11-20-2017, 11:15 AM

The most memorable example of Pearl clamping her hand over her mouth I can think of is in "Back to the Moon", when Eyeball says she saw Rose Quartz kill Pink Diamond.

Last edited by bmoak; 11-20-2017 at 11:16 AM.
Old 12-26-2017, 08:49 PM

Since they've finally been broadcast, I guess it's OK to discuss the last batch of episodes (Dewey Wins to Kevin Party).

Notable bits from this last string of episodes include.:

-Nanefua looks sharp in that suit.
-Mrs. Beriga has good aim with that tomato.
-"Kevin Party" doesn't quite make Kevin seem sympathetic, but it does make him seem pathetic.
-I'd like to see ex-Mayor Dewey take over the Big Donut and maybe re-purpose the Deweymobile to hawk donuts.
-Lion is awfully cold to Steven in these episodes.
-"Twelve People! That's half the town!" A nice self-referential dig at SU's limited animation style that always makes Beach City look like a ghost town with twenty or so people living there.
-How To Talk To People is a throwback to "Sworn to the Sword"
-Steven and Connie's emotional arc strikes all the right notes for me in these eps.
-...Except for Steven blaming himself for everything that happens to everybody.
-Ronaldo's texts about Koala Princess are probably the funniest use of the character ever.
-Garnet goes into story mode about Pink Diamond and Steven just shut her down.
-Poor Peridot. Poor Lapis.
-Friends don't let friends lie in the bathtub for days at a time.
-Smoky Quartz rides again! Who will Steven fuse with next?
-And a Famethyst shout-out.
-Remember when the Cool Kids used to just call Sadie "Donut Girl"? It's great to see her hanging with them.
-"TheWorking Dead" might be the best song to appear in this show.
-From Steven's Wanted Poster for Lion-Likes: Naps, Lion Lickers Dislikes: Enthusiasm
-Poor Derek.
-Connie's new haircut looks cute.
--Sabine is the girl who Kevin let get away. Could she also be Mystery Girl, whose name also starts with S.
-Kevin can't help Steven with a friendship problem because he doesn't have any real friends.
Old 12-26-2017, 09:00 PM

CN is promising a Steven Universe special event in January, but no details.
Old 12-26-2017, 09:33 PM

Quote:
Originally Posted by bmoak View Post
-"Twelve People! That's half the town!" A nice self-referential dig at SU's limited animation style that always makes Beach City look like a ghost town with twenty or so people living there.
Not the first time they've done that - after Steven got upset that his dad couldn't perform with him at one of the festival things, he complained that 'the whole town' was going to be there. 'Yeah, but that's, like, 20 people.'

Quote:
-Poor Peridot. Poor Lapis.
While I do feel sorry for Lapis for all she's gone through that's...somewhat dulled in this block, given her playing the classic abusive girlfriend to Peridot.

Last edited by Kamino Neko; 12-26-2017 at 09:34 PM.
Old 12-26-2017, 10:38 PM

Quote:
CN is promising a Steven Universe special event in January, but no details.
Guess I didn't look hard enough. The special event is "Stranded" and starts at 7:30pm on January 5.
Old 12-27-2017, 08:40 PM

Quote:
Originally Posted by Kamino Neko View Post
While I do feel sorry for Lapis for all she's gone through that's...somewhat dulled in this block, given her playing the classic abusive girlfriend to Peridot.
I might need to re-watch "Raising the Barn", but I didn't see the Lapis/Peridot relationship as abusive or as girlfriends. Peridot treats Lapis like a disturbed/depressed roommate that people are overly solicitous towards because they don't want to trigger her, which ended up being good for neither Peridot nor Lapis in the long run.

I'm sure Lapis will return in a dramatic fashion.
Old 12-27-2017, 09:33 PM

I can see disagreeing on 'girlfriend', but I have a hard time coming up with a non-abusive interpretation of this exchange:

Quote:
*nervous* 'There are things I should say to you, but they would upset you, so I don't...'

*furious* 'That's called lying, Peridot.'
Absent her delivery, Peridot's line be taken as trying to protect Lapis's wellbeing, but between her 'please don't hurt me' attitude while saying it, and Lapis's reaction... Yeah, no.
Old 12-30-2017, 04:02 PM

Quote:
Guess I didn't look hard enough. The special event is "Stranded" and starts at 7:30pm on January 5.
"Stranded" is a half-hour special event and, judging from the promo clip, will consist of the episodes "Lars of the Stars" and "Jungle Moon"
Old 01-03-2018, 05:38 PM

Just a reminder that new eps are on tomorrow at 7:30pm
Old 01-03-2018, 06:59 PM

Make that Friday at 7:30pm.
Old 01-03-2018, 07:47 PM

Thank you for the heads up!
Old 01-05-2018, 10:19 PM

So lots happened there and I think I need to rewatch and process before discussing ... but boy!
Old 01-06-2018, 12:03 PM

Hey, if you Google search with the keywords: steven universe message board, this thread shows up on the first page!
Old 01-07-2018, 08:13 PM

A great pair of episodes. Space pirate Lars is great, and revelations from Jungle Moon open up interesting new areas of speculation. Is it possible that pink Diamond was smaller than the others because of the dream, or was she in the ground too long, like amethyst.

Think about this: the four diamonds are counterparts of the four crystal gems- the stoic, efficient yellow/garnet, the emotional blue/pearl, the childlike pink/amethyst. White is the leader, like rose Quartz. Both groups are dealing with loss.
Old 01-07-2018, 10:58 PM

Well, those were two episodes with a lot going on that will generate endless speculation. We have the light-hearted Space Pirate Captain Harlock pastiche "Lars of the Stars" and the far more serious "Jungle Moon"

-We've not only got a Captain Harlock homage, Lars' fighter's tricked-out cockpit is a homage to Megas XLR.
-Lars is effective because none of the Off-Colors (except maybe Rutile) can make a decision.
-...and because he's invisible to Homeworld security systems.
-I wonder if the Off-Colors will be able to get any development other than their one-note personalities and Greek chorus role, nut it might be hard to do if they always appear together.
-Emerald seems like a fun character.
-I don't mind Lars temporarily regressing after (needlessly) thinking that Sadie has moved on from him, as he was able to snap out of it pretty quickly.
-The design team really went to town on the alien landscape and wildlife, as well as the dream sequence.
-That shaving kit Garnet gave to Baby Steven back in "Three Gems and a Baby" would've come in handy. I can't imagine it's easy shaving with Rose's sword.
-Connie's survival skills and careful packing are a lifesaver (Remember Steven packing for his first mission?)
-Stevonnie has Steven's dreaming powers, but filtered through Connie's experiences and perceptions.
-Does anyone find it disturbing that Stevonnie sees Yellow Diamond as Dr. Maheshwaran?
-...And probably the biggest wham moment in the series since "Back to the Moon"

Who knows when we will next see Steven Universe episodes?
Old 01-12-2018, 10:37 PM

Looking at "Jungle Moon" for things to extrapolate:

-The Pink Diamond we see here looks different than the admittedly stylized depictions of PD we've seen. Perhaps she was poofed and reformed at one point?
-Confirms that Centipeetle is a Nephrite.
-Scotches the theory that Pink and Blue were in love/loves and Yellow had Pink shattered because she was jealous.
-Adds credence to the theory that Pink is an off-color and that is why Yellow has her shattered.
Old 01-12-2018, 10:55 PM
Charter Member

Not reading all the posts in this thread because I just started Season 4 and don't want spoilers. But I wanted to say that episode with Stevonnie and "Here's a thought" song in Season 4 about killed me. Both me and the husband were crying. Lord this show. It's so freaking brave.

Last edited by Spice Weasel; 01-12-2018 at 10:55 PM.
Old 01-13-2018, 08:06 AM

Hurry up and get caught up, Spice Weasel!
Old 01-14-2018, 08:47 AM

Quote:
Originally Posted by bmoak
The Pink Diamond we see here looks different than the admittedly stylized depictions of PD we've seen. Perhaps she was poofed and reformed at one point?
Or perhaps it is because
Quote:
Originally Posted by bmoak
Stevonnie has Steven's dreaming powers, but filtered through Connie's experiences and perceptions.
The filter, I think, is keyed into Pink's perceptions, of Yellow as a mother figure controlling, and disappointed, in her. That explicitly played first as seeing Pink as Mom, well giant Mom, and then also in a critical self-perception of herself as childish (which spun differently was Rose's positive child-like qualities). I do not believe it says anything about what her actual physical form was at the time.

These dreams are not realities; they are filtered interpretations of the past. This one through the POV of Pink. Consequently I am not sure this scratches any theories. Pink may have felt Yellow loving her as an overbearing but distracted and busy mother loves, but Yellow's experiences could still have been different and even if not, an overbearing mother's sort of love can be jealous as well. Of course the implication could also be that when childish Pink got her planet Yellow was critical of and disappointed in how she ran it ... with what happened next growing out of that.
Old 01-24-2018, 10:58 PM

I don't think there's much you can definitively say about what we saw in Jungle Moon, but I believe we can certainly say the following:
1) Pink Diamond is younger/newer than the other Diamonds.
2) Pink Diamond, whatever her exact size is, is smaller than the other Diamonds.

Other thoughts:

I can't remember what episode(s) it would be shown in to confirm this, but I'm almost certain that Pink Diamond's gem is on the money we have seen in Beach City.
Old 01-25-2018, 09:12 AM

I first thought that Pinks Diamond's small size was a dream distortion, like Yellow Diamond's altered voice and appearance. However, when Stevonnie sees the cracked window, it exactly matched the dream in position and appearance. If the dream was inaccurate and Pink Diamond larger, the damage would be higher.
Old 01-28-2018, 05:21 PM

Hulu has new Steven Universe episodes confirmed on schedule for April.
Old 02-17-2018, 08:26 PM

Well, Steven Universe Volume 1 was finally released a few weeks ago, but it took me a while to track down a copy and then watch the whole season and the extras. It's great to finally have a full season of the show out. All SU fans have had were two bare bones DVD releases of ten episodes each. I mean the show was launched in 2013 and we only get a full season DVD in 2018. And still have three more full seasons in the can waiting for a release.

There are extras in the DVD set, but it wasn't that impressive of a collection. No audio commentary tracks. A lot of the features were about the show's music: interviews, original demos by Rebecca, Aivi & Surasshu, and so on. There are also boards/animatics of a handful of episodes.
Old 02-17-2018, 08:33 PM

Also, I always thought that Season 1 ended with The Return/Jailbreak, but this set has "Full Disclosure", "Open Book", and "Joy Ride", which I always thought were Season 2 episodes, on it.
Old 02-17-2018, 09:38 PM

There's two counts of the seasons - where CN put the season breaks, and the production order. The DVD clearly uses the production order.
Old 02-17-2018, 09:38 PM

Now that I have an actual physical DVD I can share with people and introduce them to Steven Universe. After re-watching every first season episode, I'm kind of wondering HOW I can share with people. I started watching the show in the second season (IIRC "Cry For Help" was my first episode.) and became a fan of the show right way. However, I don't think I would have liked the show as much if I started at the very beginning. I wasn't a big fan of early-show Steven's irresponsible goofball schtick and some of the mission-of-the-week episodes. Also, some early eps were missteps in that they introduced concepts that didn't really fit into the show and weren't brought up again (replication wands and time-travel hourglasses, anyone?).

IMHO, the show doesn't really hit it's stride until "Mirror Gem/Ocean Gem". The show gets a lot of constant and coherent in the second half of the first season, gets more upfront in introducing the show's lore, and has a bunch of the show's first emotional gut-punch eps ("Lion 3: Straight To Video", "On The Run", "Maximum Capacity", etc.)

That being said, I'm trying to separate the wheat from the chaff and condense the first half of Season One into about eight quality episodes I can show friends to introduce them to Steven Universe and its core characters and concepts before getting to "Mirror Gem/Ocean Gem"

I don't think I would start with "Gem Glow" as the first episode, either. Maybe "Laser Light Cannon", as that ep introduced Greg and Rose, or maybe skip right to "Bubble Buddies".

Can anyone narrow this down to just eight episodes?
Old 03-10-2018, 07:47 PM

CN Twitter Promo Here.

New episodes start April 7.
Old 03-22-2018, 09:17 PM
Charter Member

4 of the new episodes will be up on CN's app (and presumably On Demand) this Monday March 26th.

Official CN twitter feed
Old 03-23-2018, 08:59 PM

Cartoon Network has released a three-and-a-half promo/recap for the upcoming block of episodes called "The Series So Far". Narrated by Steven over clips of mostly already-seen footage , it goes over the history of Rose Quartz, the Crystal Gems, and the Diamond Authority.

We do see some glimpses of upcoming episodes, most of which appear to be flashback stories told with stylized visuals as per "Story For Steven"
Old 03-23-2018, 09:20 PM

Broadcast schedule and episodes titles for the next four eps:

4/9 "Your Mother and Mine"
4/16 "The Big Show"
4/23 "Pool Hopping"
4/30 "Letters to Lars"

These are all Mondays at 7:30pm.
Old 03-27-2018, 03:12 PM

Why did I never notice before that Jasper and Amethyst have exactly the same hair?
The opinions expressed here are my own, and do not represent any other persons, organizations, spirits, thinking machines, hive minds or other sentient beings on this world or any adjacent dimensions in the multiverse.
Old 03-27-2018, 09:03 PM

The four newest episodes have dropped on On Demand and the CN App. anyone watch them yet?
Old 03-28-2018, 03:50 AM

Yup.

Hold on discussions until after live airing I presume.

But enjoyed.
Old 03-28-2018, 08:35 PM

I'm tempted to start talking about the new eps, especially "Your Mother and Mine".
Old 04-20-2018, 10:26 PM

Well, the new episodes have been airing on CN, long after they dropped on the app., so I'll start running through the eps.

"Your Mother and Mine" presents a conundrum. The episode is basically Garnet narrating a stylized flashback of the story of Rose Quartz and the Crystal Gems to the Off-Colors. It's one part The Gospel of St. Rose and one part morale-booster for the Off-Colors, who still have self-image issues. Garnet's storytelling is as stylized as the animation used in the flashback, but how much weight should we give to the facts presented here? After all, it flatly contradicts lore gleaned from previous episodes. As with every episode involving Pink Diamond, there is a a question of an unreliable narrator. There is also a question about how much of Rose's story is propaganda. Did it really happen as Garnet told it (and Garnet was't around for the start of the Rebellion), or has Rose Quartz' story been tweaked to make her more sympathetic to recruit other Gems for the Rebellion?

More points:

-Garnet swore she would never lie to Steven. However, since she was directing the story to the Off-Colors, would she consider any untruths in the story as being told to Steven?
-Rose's white poofy dress is a choice of her own and not part of her original design.
-Padparscha actually has a function: She can comment on things in the present that others overlook. She noticed that Lars pushed the wrong button and that Garnet was making the Off-Colors uncomfortable.
Old 04-21-2018, 03:23 PM

Beginning to agree with you about having it fair game a reasonable amount of time after they drop on the app ... as now it is so long ago I forget many details!

Agreed and thought along similar lines. This is Garnet telling a story. Maybe it is the story as she believes it even but she was not there for much of it. It may be what she wants to believe, or what she thinks the Off Colors need to hear, but one suspects the actual events are a bit more complicated.

Do I remember right that the story described Pearl as having been an unattached Pearl? That seems important to various theories.

Getting ahead "Pool Hopping" was an interesting development for Garnet's character.

And sad that Sadie is so mean to her mother.
Old 04-21-2018, 11:22 PM

The next episode in the block was "The Big Show". I'm starting to get annoyed with segments of the fandom that dump all over any episode not about the Gems or the show lore as "townie" episodes that are just filler or a waste of an episode. This was a very good episode, focusing on Sadie and the Cool Kids and their budding musical career as Sadie Killer & The Suspects. Steven is present in the episode, but kind of takes a backseat, as he is filming the story on Greg's old camcorder. However, Steven does introduce them to Greg, who agrees to act as their manager, and throws in some money to upgrade their stage show. He also plays their demo to one of his old friends from his music days (played by Joan Jett), who books the band for a show at her club in Empire City, a place where Greg never got to play. Greg even gets Sadie to thaw towards her mother after telling her that his parents never took the slightest interest in his music career (or seemingly anything else about him).

More Points:

-"G-g-g-host" might even be a better song than "Working Dead"
-Considering that all the songs in this show are done in-house by the animation/writing crew, the song quality on this show is amazing.
-I don't know if Rebecca and the Crew planned for Sadie to become a rock star, but it was brilliant casting Kate Micucci, who first came to notice as one half of the musical comedy duo Garfunkel & Oates.
-Sadie Killer can draw bigger crowds than Mike Krol!
-Mystery Girl is at the concert.
Old 04-23-2018, 11:34 AM

Just FYI, a series of Steven Universe shorts, "Pensive Moments with Steven Universe" are now available on Youtube- It's basically Deep Thoughts with Jack Handy, but with Steven.

My thoughts on the recent episodes are positive, they continue the theme of change and acceptance as a good thing. I think that Garnet is telling the truth as she understands it, but with the strong possibility that she is wrong. I can imagine a future episode using the same images and a new narration to tell a different story.
Something like...
"Pink Diamond sent her most trusted quartz to investigate the organic lifeforms. When she reported that they were intelligent, Pink Diamond was shocked and tried to stop the colonization. Yellow and Blue misunderstood their sister's actions, and send armies to insure it continued. When she couldn't make them understand, and refused to fight them directly, she conspired with Rose to fake her death."
Old 05-09-2018, 08:00 AM

So, that was a shocking revelation that changes the whole show, and makes us re evaluate everything that came before. Thoughts?
Old 05-12-2018, 06:35 PM

Quote:
Originally Posted by Johnny Ecks View Post
So, that was a shocking revelation that changes the whole show, and makes us re evaluate everything that came before. Thoughts?
Anyone who did not see the May 7th eps "Can't Back" and "A Single Pale Rose" stop reading.

Whoah.

Quote:
Originally Posted by me
... And PD's missing Pearl's story is something hinted at. And we've yet to meet either WD or the Pearl we'd assume she would own. And CG Pearl can holoproject. And we now have reason to doubt that Rose shattered PD. Do any of these fit together? Which ones are misdirection?
Answered.

Whoah.

Yeah, Garnet was telling the truth as she knew it, a myth as it turns out.

I get why the PD created her character of Rose to be the rebel leader, but she took it too far and gems died ...
Old 05-12-2018, 07:14 PM

Wait ... Pearl inside Pearl so on... the Pearl who did the shattering Pearl ... my son pointed out that she has all four colors on ...

My current next guess. WD is a fusion of the other three and Pearl was the Pearl, WD's Pearl. Which explains why we have never seen WD. She cannot exist with PD and she cannot be seen as part of PD's memories (Steven's dreams).
Old 05-14-2018, 11:43 AM

Now that we know the truth, the hints are quite obvious. I had considered the possibility that Rose was Pink, but discounted the theory for several reasons- wrong gem shape (I never thought that gems could be reoriented, I assumed that gem orientation, like gem position, was fixed), it also seemed too cliched to be used, and lastly, it ruins (or at least greatly complicates) Pearl's character- suddenly our "terrifying renegade Pearl" is just another Pearl devotedly following her owner. All that talk of choice and new beginnings and freedom are lies. The glee that she had when she told Bismuth that she was nobody's Pearl is false. She may say nobody, but she means Rose.
Pink Diamond seems to mature over time. From a child throwing a temper tantrum to a teenage runaway convinced her family doesn't care. I wonder what the real reason she rebelled was? Was it because she didn't want to rule, or because she wasn't allowed to rule her way? Or maybe it was just her love of the Earth, and being unwilling to tell her fellow Diamonds. You have to wonder what would have happened if she had tried instead of making excuses and creating a fake rebellion that turned... was the rebellion ever really real? The crystal gems may have rebelled against homeworld, but they still followed a Diamond, even if they didn't know it. Poor Bismuth. Tricked into fighting for what she hated, even if she didn't realize it.

Also, poor Pearl. All those years spent pretending to be owner less but really following her owner, then suddenly finding herself what she had only pretended to be... And Pink, running away from leadership, then finding herself a leader anyway...
Old 05-14-2018, 07:39 PM

Show's not over yet and even if it is only another year they won't spend all of it in aftermath and filler eps.

There's more reveal to come. We just don't know what it is yet.

Pearl's story in particular is far from all told.
Old 05-15-2018, 07:05 PM
Charter Member

Whoa.

So does the orientation of a gem -- for a diamond, anyway -- determine their physical form? The PD to RQ transformation seemed to be a bit more than mere shape-shifting. Wouldn't Steven and Amethyst have fused into something other than Smoky Quartz if the diamond gem properties were more dominant?

And yeah, Pearl is still following the orders of a diamond every time she clamps her hands over her mouth.
Old 06-20-2018, 12:46 PM

...I was underwhelmed by the reveal. Not necessarily that Rose was Pink...but how they did it.
Old 06-20-2018, 02:46 PM

Quote:
Originally Posted by Jeep's Phoenix View Post
Wouldn't Steven and Amethyst have fused into something other than Smoky Quartz if the diamond gem properties were more dominant?
I don't see why - Steven and Rose's personalities aren't changed by whether they're quartzes or diamonds, and Rose's physicality differed only slightly between Pink Diamond and Rose Quartz, so the aspects that actually affect the fused gem aren't changed.

For obvious reasons, the following ignores Stevonnie.

It's an interesting coincidence that both of the known fusions involving the Pink Diamond gem (Rainbow and Smokey Quartz) are both Quartzes, but even when we thought she was a Quartz, there was no real reason to believe it was anything other than a coincidence.

Mineralogically, Smokey Quartz is the only different-Gem Fusion whose fused form is the same type as either of her component Gems (Amethyst) - though since most of the different-Gem Fusions are silicates (all except Alexandrite and Malachite), most are going to be in a similar class in a broader sense. (Obviously, Rainbow Quartz seemed to be when we thought Rose was a Quartz, but that's still only 2 out of a half dozen.)

While it's difficult to guess what roles the different-gem Fusions would have in Gem society (aside from the Quartzes, which like other quartzes would presumably be mid-status warriors), they don't seem to match the higher-status component Gems, for the most part - Malachite might (she looks like a warrior), but a) we don't know whether Lapis Lazulis are actually lower status than Jaspers - they seem to be, but that might just be our Lapis and Jasper's personalities - and b) given that she was inherently unstable it's hard to guess what a properly formed Malachite might be like. And Sugilite might possibly - she'd clearly be a warrior, but it's unclear if she'd have been Quartz-level or Ruby-level (if there's actually a difference)... But Garnet certainly doesn't (as a Smart Bruiser, she'd clearly be a warrior, not a noble), Opal and Sardonyx take much more strongly after Pearl than Amethyst or Garnet... Of course, before the reveal, Smokey and Rainbow Quartz would have appeared to match the higher status (and lower status, in Smokey's case, since both were supposedly Quartzes), but that's out the window, now.
Old 06-21-2018, 04:02 PM
Charter Member

"i think I'll keep this cat."
"She'll need a name."
"How about Steven?"
"Too Confusing."
"How about Cat Steven?"
https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=U5sSEkZ86ts
Old 06-24-2018, 07:05 AM

Time has passed, and I still haven't gotten around to posting analysis of/reactions to "A Single Pale Rose".

I'll try to get it done before the next weeklong Steven-bomb drops on July 2.
The string of episodes is called "Heart of the Crystal Gems" and the promo clip show mostly the team dealing with the fallout of "A Single Pale Rose's" revelations.
Old 06-26-2018, 08:26 PM

Quote:
Originally Posted by DSeid View Post

I get why the PD created her character of Rose to be the rebel leader, but she took it too far and gems died ...
I don't think PD created the persona of Rose Quartz to lead a rebellion. I think she started becoming Rose Quartz to escape a Diamond's constrained life, to see how other Gem behaved when they were not in her exalted presence, and to explore her new Colony. Over time, she realized that she didn't like being a Diamond, realized that many Gems were unhappy in their roles, and came to love life on Earth. Then she decided to use her already-established Rose Quartz persona to start the rebellion.

Last edited by bmoak; 06-26-2018 at 08:30 PM.