Old 06-23-2016, 09:41 AM
Charter Member

Dinsdale - Doesn't your family do Revolutionary War reenactment?

StG
Old 06-23-2016, 09:52 AM

Quote:
Originally Posted by shantih View Post
Even the 'half that' is holy-crap-worthy! I'm still impatiently awaiting specifics about the show coming to London, and I cherish the hope that many of the original cast will be part of the show when it opens there.
That actually makes way more sense for the producers than renewing the stars' contracts on Broadway. Broadway seats are sold out for the next year (maybe more). They don't need the stars to sell tickets. They may not even need stars to sell tickets in London, but putting tony award winners on the marquee for a show that hasn't opened yet is better money spent than upping their salary for Broadway when the seats are already all sold.
Old 06-23-2016, 12:48 PM

Quote:
Originally Posted by StGermain View Post
Dinsdale - Doesn't your family do Revolutionary War reenactment?

StG
Yeah - not me, tho. I believe their backstory has me conveniently missing, presumed dead!
Old 07-09-2016, 03:20 PM
SDSAB

High school U.S. history students get their beloved teacher in to see Miranda backstage: http://www.cleveland.com/onstage/ind...art_river_home
Old 07-09-2016, 10:49 PM

And that's it. This was the last show for a big chunk of the original cast (until they inevitably come back and reprise their roles some day). The music is so good, I don't even care. I still want to see it.
Old 07-10-2016, 07:55 AM
SDSAB

Yes. Miranda has bowed out of the lead role - for now: http://money.cnn.com/2016/07/09/medi...html?iid=SF_LN
Old 07-10-2016, 08:05 AM

Yup. Lin-Manuel has other projects--the new Mary Poppins move? And, one hopes, a new original musical, some day.

Philippa Soo will star in a musical version of Amelie.

And we read that Leslie Odom Jr will concentrate on his music. But I really want to see him at work again He's appeared in an assortment of TV shows & he drips charisma...
Old 07-10-2016, 08:37 AM

Odom Jr. will be the biggest loss, he was, IMO, the best performer in the cast by a lot. Not that everyone wasn't great, but he was special. Miranda, for all his genius, is an average performer. He's good, not great. But whoever takes over Burr is going to have a hard time.

Last edited by NAF1138; 07-10-2016 at 08:39 AM.
Old 07-10-2016, 09:00 AM

My wife bought the cast album about a month ago (around the time of the Grammy Awards), and we've pretty much been listening to it Non-Stop since then. I've never been a big musical/broadway fan, but this is simply a work of genius. What LMM has created is so powerful and clever and moving and intelligent that it's hard to not drain my bank account to head to New York (where I can be a new man) to see it in person. I almost convinced my wife we should get Chicago tickets, but with a new baby it's tough. Word has it that the theater it's going to play in has a very large number of obstructed seats, so popping for the good seats would be the only way we'd go - and at ~$500, that's not happening.

Congrats to everyone who managed to see the original cast - I'm unspeakably jealous.

And I don't think anyone has linked to sportswriter Joe Posnanski's article on Hamilton. It's a wonderful tribute to both the musical and his daughter.
Old 07-10-2016, 09:02 AM

Quote:
Originally Posted by Pábitel View Post
It is the ridiculous over the top nature of the production. I take one look at any of the performances available via video and all I can think is, you've got to be kidding.

I would feel the same way about a bluegrass version of Madam Butterfly or a Zydeco version of The Godfather. The gimmick is so silly and over the top that the substance is completely lost on me.
On the bolded, omg I would so see this. From the incredible stage hit "Laissez les bon têtes roulez", to Sonny being gunned down at the etouffee stand, this would be genius.
Old 07-10-2016, 09:59 AM
SDSAB

Quote:
Originally Posted by Maserschmidt View Post
On the bolded, omg I would so see this. From the incredible stage hit "Laissez les bon têtes roulez", to Sonny being gunned down at the etouffee stand, this would be genius.
"Leave the gun; take the beignet."
Old 07-10-2016, 11:12 AM

Quote:
Originally Posted by Quimby View Post
And that's it. This was the last show for a big chunk of the original cast (until they inevitably come back and reprise their roles some day). The music is so good, I don't even care. I still want to see it.
They live-streamed last night's curtain call on Facebook, which was really awesome. The orchestra played the theme from The West Wing toward the end of the bows, a nod toward noted West Wing nerd Lin-Manuel Miranda.

And my son and a friend of his managed to get seats for that show. I am very anxious to hear his Story of (the)night. (My wife has been quoting Hamilton lyrics Non-Stop for the past several months, so I just want to show I can do that too.)

And as I mentioned earlier, we've got tickets to see the Chicago show in March.
Old 07-10-2016, 12:28 PM

Quote:
Originally Posted by Uncle Jocko View Post
The orchestra played the theme from The West Wing toward the end of the bows, a nod toward noted West Wing nerd Lin-Manuel Miranda.
I wasn't aware. Makes these t-shirts I saw online even better.
Old 07-10-2016, 12:28 PM

Quote:
Originally Posted by Elendil's Heir View Post
"Leave the gun; take the beignet."
Lol. "Luca Brasi sleeps with the crawfishes."
Old 07-14-2016, 08:14 AM
SDSAB

Chernow is among the noted American historians responding to Trump's likely nomination: http://www.nytimes.com/2016/07/13/ny...urns.html?_r=0
Old 07-14-2016, 09:13 AM

We listen to it in the car often, my kids are starting to sing along. (We've had to talk about when it's appropriate to sing some of the songs).

Maybe my kids won't grow up seeing Burr as a bad guy! Well, not that he had a spotless life. But I grew up knowing him as the VP who killed a founding father.
Old 07-14-2016, 10:38 AM
SDSAB

Burr's still a villain, I'd say - just not a cardboard one.
Old 09-26-2016, 11:15 AM
SDSAB

PBS's Great Performances will present Hamilton's America on Oct. 21 - check local listings: http://www.pbs.org/about/blogs/news/hamiltons-america/
Old 09-27-2016, 10:44 AM

But when are we getting the actual performance broadcast? Most of us simply cannot go see it live.
Old 09-27-2016, 12:07 PM
SDSAB

Might be years yet. There will be touring companies criss-crossing the globe before it comes to TV. A Hollywood movie might actually come first.
Old 09-27-2016, 12:37 PM

I bought my wife this book last week. It's awesome - it has all the lyrics to all of the songs, and margin notes by Lin on little bits of trivia. Why he wrote it that way, where the sampling is from, what he was doing when he wrote it, etc. And then there are very well written pieces about the people involved (actors, producers, etc.). It's very tough to put down.

Last edited by Munch; 09-27-2016 at 12:37 PM.
Old 09-27-2016, 01:03 PM

Christ - I forgot the link.

Hamilton: The Revolution
Old 09-27-2016, 02:18 PM

Quote:
Originally Posted by Elendil's Heir View Post
Might be years yet. There will be touring companies criss-crossing the globe before it comes to TV. A Hollywood movie might actually come first.
Man, I don't get it. It's not like seeing a performance on TV dimishes my (or anyone's) desire to see it live. It will still sell out for years and years to come. Hell, don't broadcast it! Sell DVDs for $30 a pop and send the money to Puerto Rico relief! I'll buy two! (It's just a hundred miles across!)
Old 09-27-2016, 02:34 PM
Charter Member

Quote:
Originally Posted by JSexton View Post
But when are we getting the actual performance broadcast? Most of us simply cannot go see it live.
I think it would actually be cheaper to fly to London and see it there when it opens. Seriously.

StG
Old 09-27-2016, 02:50 PM

Let me state up front that I don't necessarily take a contrary view for the sake of it, but having been bombarded with hype for the music I've added it to my spotify list and...............huge meh. I had to force myself to listen to it twice and that's never a hopeful sign.
I don't know what style it is supposed to be, some sort of quasi-rap perhaps but they all just mush into one.
It may make sense and carry more weight in the context of a stage performance so as a complete package I'm sure it is great but certainly on the basis of the soundtrack alone it isn't something I'd rush to buy tickets for.
Mind you, I don't like musicals to start with, It isn't a style of music that moves me and I'm English and haven't the slightest clue who this Hamilton chap is, so it maybe loses some impact due to cultural differences.
Just an alternative datapoint amongst the unremitting love.
Old 09-27-2016, 06:28 PM

Quote:
Originally Posted by Novelty Bobble View Post
I don't know what style it is supposed to be, some sort of quasi-rap perhaps but they all just mush into one.
First off, which song are you referring to? Because there are multiple styles of music throughout the production. Secondly, does knowing what the style of music it is somehow help you enjoy it? Either way - you gave it two run throughs. I'm not going to suggest you should like it - it's all subjective.
Quote:
I'm English and haven't the slightest clue who this Hamilton chap is, so it maybe loses some impact due to cultural differences.
One of the main points of the musical is that many Americans have no idea who Hamilton is, other than just some guy on the $10 bill. That was pretty well established throughout the entire run.

Anyway, the wife and I secured tickets to a June Chicago production. They just released the summer dates, and there are plenty of great seats available. But make sure you check the obstructed view chart: http://www.theatreinchicago.com/news.php?articleID=814
Old 09-27-2016, 07:01 PM
Charter Member

Quote:
Originally Posted by Novelty Bobble View Post
Mind you, I don't like musicals to start with, It isn't a style of music that moves me and I'm English and haven't the slightest clue who this Hamilton chap is, so it maybe loses some impact due to cultural differences.
And that's a fair cop enough -- really the whole phenom is not just the score/book nor just the factual history, and damn right it is highly dependent on the whole cultural and historic context of the story and of the social and cultural context of both the nation and the Broadway musical scene in the 20-teens.

Let's just say that if/when they make the movie/DVD they are going to be dependent on US domestic sales for their margins. Heck, around here it is a "Boricua boy makes it big on Broadway" deal about Lin-Manuel himsel, rather than about anything to do with Alexander Hamilton or the American ideals or about musical theatre in its own merit.
Old 10-05-2016, 02:07 PM
SDSAB

The October 10 issue of Time magazine (mostly red, with Putin on the cover) has a good article on the Hamilton craze - I'd post a link here, but you need to be a subscriber.
Old 10-21-2016, 03:24 PM
SDSAB

Lin-Manuel Miranda and Renée Elise Goldsberry rap in support of Hillary: https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=6AQbU-bbrUc&app=desktop
Old 10-21-2016, 04:34 PM

And since this thread was bumped, the PBS documentary on the musical airs tonight at 9pm EST and is repeated right after.
Old 10-22-2016, 02:50 PM

OK, without reading through this whole thread (sorry), am I the only one outraged at the women in sexy bodysuits while the men are in full period costumes? Ffs, at every turn there is discussion about racism, but including sexism throughout the show is cool cos it's broadway? Fuck that!
Old 10-22-2016, 03:14 PM

Quote:
Originally Posted by singular1 View Post
OK, without reading through this whole thread (sorry), am I the only one outraged at the women in sexy bodysuits while the men are in full period costumes? Ffs, at every turn there is discussion about racism, but including sexism throughout the show is cool cos it's broadway? Fuck that!
What in the world are you talking about? The backup dancers? Because they're all wearing essentially the same thing.

Because you're definitely not talking about the female cast members with speaking parts.

Last edited by Munch; 10-22-2016 at 03:15 PM.
Old 10-22-2016, 03:39 PM

Quote:
I have literally no idea what you are talking about.
Old 10-22-2016, 05:02 PM
Charter Member

Quote:
Originally Posted by Munch View Post
What in the world are you talking about? The backup dancers? Because they're all wearing essentially the same thing.

Because you're definitely not talking about the female cast members with speaking parts.
Quote:
Originally Posted by Eyebrows 0f Doom View Post
I have literally no idea what you are talking about.
Yeah, everyone in that chorus line in the first picture, male and female, is wearing boots, breeches/leggings and a tight sleeveless top. That distinguishes them from the fully costumed story characters, makes it possible to use any distribution of dancers of both sexes for that line AND most importantly allows them to move with less encumberment, and you WANT to see the dancers move, else why pay for dancers.

The closest you have to the complaint are some of the styles seen in this part of the opening number, in which some of the female dancers are seen with a ribbon-detailed top - but that ISTM was a way of signifying "female background figure" in a stylized number where as you may have noticed everyone is in the same monochromatic scheme save Hamilton and Burr.

Last edited by JRDelirious; 10-22-2016 at 05:05 PM.
Old 10-22-2016, 05:09 PM

Quote:
So, not to pile on but... The show is pretty empowering for females. It portrays the female counterparts of the founding fathers (the founding mothers? See we don't even have a word for this) as being important and influential. No one else really talks about them at all.

The show is heavily stylized in a minimalist fashion that draws its roots in Brecht. Using levels of costuming to help the audience focus where it is supposed to while allowing background characters to more easily fall into the background. The sets do this too. It's pretty well done.

Anyone watch the documentary? I thought it was great.

Last edited by NAF1138; 10-22-2016 at 05:10 PM.
Old 10-22-2016, 08:31 PM

OK, in the Aaron Burr "I got to be in the room where it happens" number, all the men are in period garb and the women dancing behind him are in bodysuits with lace and ribbon. I just relooked - I didn't make this up.
Old 10-22-2016, 10:34 PM
SDSAB

Quote:
Originally Posted by NAF1138 View Post
...It portrays the female counterparts of the founding fathers (the founding mothers? See we don't even have a word for this)...
Great minds!:

https://www.amazon.com/Founding-Moth...unding+mothers
https://www.amazon.com/Founding-Moth...unding+mothers
https://www.amazon.com/Patriot-Heart...unding+mothers
Old 10-22-2016, 10:53 PM
And Full Contact Origami
SDSAB

Quote:
OK, in the Aaron Burr "I got to be in the room where it happens" number, all the men are in period garb and the women dancing behind him are in bodysuits with lace and ribbon. I just relooked - I didn't make this up.
No.

There are backup dancers, both men and women, in white bodysuits.

The named characters are in period costumes, both men and women.

It's true that specifically "Room Where It Happens," has only Jefferson, Madison, Hamilton, and Burr as named characters, and those four are men.
Old 11-17-2016, 11:16 PM
SDSAB

The October issue of Harper's has a cover essay by Robert Sullivan about the musical. It's a scattershot, almost stream-of-consciousness critique that has at least one historical error that I noticed. I can't really recommend it, but thought I'd at least mention it here.
Old 11-18-2016, 07:13 AM

I'm going next Wed - wish I were more excited...
Old 11-18-2016, 05:05 PM

Lin-Manuel Miranda was on Marc Maron's WTF podcast earlier this week:

http://www.wtfpod.com/podcast/episod...manuel-miranda
Old 11-18-2016, 08:32 PM
Charter Member

Dinsdale - I'll go in your place!

I feel so dirty - I downloaded a bootleg copy of the musical from Youtube and watched it. I'm very good about not pirating anything, because I believe strongly in intellectual property rights. But it'll be years before it comes to Nashville. I will go when it comes here, though.

StG
Old 11-20-2016, 08:22 PM
SDSAB

Hamilton has been in the news lately after a visit from Vice President-elect Mike Pence: http://www.cnn.com/2016/11/20/politi...message-trump/
Old 11-23-2016, 08:15 PM

Well, it was pretty good. But, if you're not a huge fan of musicals - as I'm not - well, it was an enjoyable enough way to spend a couple of hours. But to hear the folk around us, they acted as tho it was some life-changing experience or something.

And - yeah - the women in the chorus were definitely wearing tighter breeches than the men, and in several scenes they were sleeveless when the men were wearing shirts. Didn't bother me, but there clearly was a difference.

My wife said it was the best play she'd ever seen. Well, maybe it was the best play I've ever seen too. But then, I might be pretty honest for a lawyer - but I'm still a lawyer!
Old 01-16-2017, 07:25 AM

I feel the need to revive this thread to say that I just got tickets to see Hamilton in London! And I have a delightful stretch of time to look forward to the experience, because my tickets are for May 2018. I'm ridiculously thrilled!
Old 01-16-2017, 12:34 PM

Congratulations, shantih! I hope you love it.

I'm going through Hamilton envy right now. I saw it a year and a half ago with my sister and brother-in-law (sitting next to us, not in the cast). Last weekend, they saw it for the third time.
Old 01-16-2017, 12:50 PM
Charter Member

Quote:
Originally Posted by shantih View Post
I feel the need to revive this thread to say that I just got tickets to see Hamilton in London! And I have a delightful stretch of time to look forward to the experience, because my tickets are for May 2018. I'm ridiculously thrilled!
Do you live in the the UK? I've said before - it seems like it'll be cheaper to see it in London, even with air travel and hotel, than here in the US.

StG
Old 01-16-2017, 07:20 PM

I live in Germany. My family did a week in London over Fall Break last October, which was my first visit there, and we all absolutely adored it. When I mentioned to good friends of ours (who both spent part of their university years in London) that I had signed up for priority access to Hamilton tickets, they immediately said to get tickets for them, too, and we'd make a weekend of it, and that's just what I did! Kickass seats, too -- 5th row right in the center! Huzzah! Last October, we did a special trek over to the Victoria Palace Theatre so that I could take a picture of myself next to the Hamilton signs. My kids can hardly stand what a cool mother I am.

Oh boyohboyohboy, I'm excited!!
Old 01-16-2017, 11:11 PM
SDSAB

A friend of mine is going with his wife later this month in NYC. He got two tickets for $352 apiece. Too rich for my blood.
Old 01-17-2017, 01:20 PM
Charter Member

$352 is a great price, compared to last year's original-cast prices.

StG