Old 10-10-2018, 07:54 AM

Supergirl Season 4

The fourth season of Supergirl premieres October 14. Note that's Sunday night. Can they turn it around from the shambles of last season? It started out strong but fell off the rails in the second half. Way, way off the rails. Indeed, they spent like half of the season finale setting things up for this season.

Cast changes this season: Jeremy Jordan (Winn Schott) will no longer be part of the regular cast but instead be in a recurring role. Jesse Rath (Brainiac 5) will be promoted to regular cast. Chris Wood (Mon-el) and Odette Annable (Sam Arias/Reign) will no longer be regulars. Nicole Maines will join as Nia Nal/Dreamer, the first transgender superhero on television.

Remember, Supergirl moves to SUNDAY night.
Old 10-10-2018, 08:08 AM

Forgot to throw in the trailers in my last post.

Comic Con trailer: https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=Jw30raSbrhE
Season 7 trailer: https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=HJYTQFcnGZQ
Old 10-14-2018, 07:11 AM

S04E01: American Alien

The Girl of Steel returns tonight!

American Alien promo: https://youtu.be/HjCo_m4FpWM

Diving back into reporting, Kara welcomes a new cub reporter to CatCo. Meanwhile, James and Lena argue about James’ impending indictment for acting as the vigilante Guardian, while Alex and Brainy struggle to get in sync at the DEO. Supergirl is called into action when remnants of the anti-alien terrorist organization Cadmus try to assassinate pro-alien leaders, but their endgame turns out to be much more sinister than she expected. J’onn relishes his peaceful new life, but an outing with an old friend causes him concern.
Old 10-15-2018, 03:51 AM

Mercy Graves has made an appearance. Can Lex Luthor himself be far behind? I wonder who they'd cast to play the big bald baddie?

They solved the problem of the lack of Cat Grant by putting Kara into the mentor role. I think she could be good at it; she learned from the best, after all. Kara doesn't deliver the lines with the same panache as Cat, though.

Anti-alien sentiment has always been a simmering undercurrent in this show. It looks like this season that will now be front and center. Supergirl has never been shy about addressing politics. Some issues, like feminism, they are more successful at exploring. Others, like gun control, less so. One hopes that this season will be the more successful commentary on the current political climate.

ETA: And hopefully they've put that whole lame Guardian storyline behind them.

Last edited by Terminus Est; 10-15-2018 at 03:53 AM.
Old 10-15-2018, 06:56 AM

So the president finally gets outed as an alien. So does that make her automatically have to resign because of not being a natural born citizen? Or were her parents resident aliens making her a citizen by birth?

I have a hard time buying the James-Lucy romance. I just don't see a lot of chemistry between the two. But yes, glad the Guardian crap is over.

Another case of perfect timing of a news story appearing on television when the person involved happens to glance at the screen. Come on, if the charges against James were dropped, wouldn't he know about it before the news came on? Does his lawyer not possess a phone?

If I was the alien with horns coming out of my wrists, I would have been glad to have them removed. Looked like about the most useless horns ever.

Still, it's good to have Supergirl back. Not sure if it has more than one season left in it, but it has been a fun run.
Old 10-16-2018, 02:23 AM

Quote:
Originally Posted by BobLibDem View Post
Still, it's good to have Supergirl back. Not sure if it has more than one season left in it, but it has been a fun run.
Arrow somehow made it to Season 7 without any sign of imminent cancellation, even though I think that show's long past its "Sell-by" date.
Old 10-16-2018, 01:51 PM

I liked the Premiere. A big improvement from last season which kind of limped along. I liked the White Nationalist parallels and seeing Supergirl just doing run of the mill superhero stuff in the beginning.

Only knock was I don't like the sister's new hair style and not sure what to make of J'onn going all Kung Fu "Walk the Earth".
Old 10-16-2018, 01:58 PM

I wonder if the Vice-President knew she was an alien? And if so, was the Veep behind what happened at Camp David? (Is the Veep an alien? Is the Speaker of the House? I suspect people on the show will demand blood tests.)
Old 10-16-2018, 02:51 PM

Still watching the episode...

The Graves siblings remind me of the villains of MiB II - Otis (nice reference) even looks kind of like Johnny Knoxville. Don't know if they're intentionally going for that, but the smart, violent woman and the dumbass dude in a motorcycle jacket...

And Kara's inability to process that things can be better than ever, but still terrible is sad...but realistic.

On a shallow note. I love Alex's hair when she's in civilian mode, but it really doesn't suit her when she has it up for work.
Old 10-16-2018, 03:15 PM

Quote:
James-Lucy romance
Lena. Lucy was season 1.

(Huh...it occurs...Jimmy has dated the younger sisters of the two most important people in Superman's life...)
Old 10-17-2018, 12:03 PM

Quote:
Originally Posted by Kamino Neko View Post
Lena. Lucy was season 1.

(Huh...it occurs...Jimmy has dated the younger sisters of the two most important people in Superman's life...)
Oh duh, thanks. I still wish he was called Jimmy and not James and that he wore a watch that had a button that made a "zee zee zee zee" sound that Superman could hear from across the continent.
Old 10-17-2018, 07:55 PM

Quote:
Oh duh, thanks. I still wish he was called Jimmy and not James and that he wore a watch that had a button that made a "zee zee zee zee" sound that Superman could hear from across the continent.
The watch is still a thing, isn't it? The last Jimmy used it was to remind Kara that she had missed a deadline. Kara didn't like that.
Old 10-19-2018, 07:46 AM

Lex Luthor

I previously asked whether Superman's nemesis would ever appear and, what do you know, they're casting for Lex Luthor.

Quote:
The CW announced today that iconic Superman villain Lex Luthor will make an appearance on Supergirl this season. The role will be a recurring one and casting for it will begin shortly.

Executive Producers Robert Rovner and Jessica Queller said, “We’re beyond excited to introduce iconic villain, Lex Luthor, to Supergirl and to weave him into our story this season. We’ve talked about having Lex on the show since its inception and we’re excited to have him finally arrive. We can’t wait for him to shake things up in National City and watch him go toe to toe with not only Supergirl, but his sister Lena Luthor.”
Old 10-19-2018, 02:34 PM

Now the question will be: is it Bald Lex or red mane of hair Lex?
Old 10-21-2018, 08:16 AM

S04E02: Fallout

CHAOS IN NATIONAL CITY - A shocking revelation causes chaos in National City. Supergirl sets out to capture Mercy Graves, while Alex takes control at the DEO. Back at CatCo, Kara decides to write an investigative story on Mercy and asks Lena if she can interview her as Mercy has ties to the Luthors. Meanwhile, Brainy meets Nia and the two end up in a precarious situation.

Fallout promo: https://youtu.be/30xeIaP6n4s

Brainy + Nia is not a combo I would ever have expected to see. Their interaction should be interesting to watch.
Old 10-22-2018, 01:48 AM

Memo to Director Danvers: When you have an agent who has professed anti-alien sentiments, it is not a good idea to put him in charge of security for prisoners who have those same sentiments. It's also not a good idea to put those co-conspirators in adjoining cells, as they can keep right on conspiring.

While this show has never been the pinnacle of good writing, there was something notably bad about the dialogue this episode. Melissa Benoist can deliver those cheesy lines with conviction, as evidenced by Supergirl's closing speech. Nicole Maines on the other hand isn't that good of an actress (yet). The writer gave Nia what would have been Kara's lines in CatCo (convincing Jimmy to write an editorial) without adjusting for a different character or actress. The result was that the delivery fell flat. At the other end of the spectrum, Rhona Mitra just lacked a moustache to twirl.

Not to say that there weren't good moments in this episode. Lena keeping Kara close by to protect her from the bad guys, thereby preventing her from changing into Supergirl, was straight out of Silver Age comics. It was fun watching Kara make creative use of her powers without revealing her secret identity. They need to do it more often. This should put to rest the speculation that Lena knows that Kara is Supergirl.

Nia falling asleep and then, upon awakening, being compelled to get coffee just in time to rescue Brainy must be a foreshadowing of her future powers. Why else would she look for coffee at a pizza place?
Old 10-22-2018, 06:34 AM

One thing bothered the bejeezus out of me: there is no place for people to gather that has a clear view of the south face of the White House. Had they used the north face, it would have been fine.

There was a tad too much foreshadowing of the anti-alien guard. The minute he appeared on screen, we could see he was up to no good. Why telegraph the obvious so early?
Old 10-22-2018, 07:17 AM

Pretty much any DEO agent that is given a name, as long as it isn't Vasquez, will be sure to come to bad end. They're the redshirts of Earth-38.
Old 10-22-2018, 09:42 AM

The fact that Otis Graves is apparently version of Ned Beatty's character from Superman just makes me smile.
Old 10-22-2018, 10:06 AM

I must have quit comics by the time the Graves came on the scene. All I remember Lex ever having were generic henchmen types. (Henchmen 'R' Us?)
Old 10-22-2018, 10:21 AM

Quote:
Originally Posted by E-DUB View Post
I must have quit comics by the time the Graves came on the scene. All I remember Lex ever having were generic henchmen types. (Henchmen 'R' Us?)
Mercy Graves made her debut in Superman: The Animated Series. She was Luthor's chauffer and bodyguard. She proved to be so popular she made her crossover into the comics.

https://en.wikipedia.org/wiki/Mercy_Graves

I believe her brother Otis is a creation of this series.

Last edited by cochrane; 10-22-2018 at 10:21 AM.
Old 10-22-2018, 10:23 AM
Isaiah 1:15/Screw the NRA
Charter Member

And where do you apply to be a henchman? Are there henchwomen? Are they subject to EEOC problems? Do you serve an apprenticeship or just jump right into henching? Is there a dental plan?

So many questions.
Old 10-22-2018, 10:28 AM

Glad that Nia knows Brainy is an alien right now, so they don't drag it out.
Since they've got Bruce Boxleitner to play the new President, I'm now sure he's a villain.

I bet "Agent of Liberty" is an alien.
Old 10-22-2018, 10:46 AM

Quote:
Originally Posted by cochrane View Post
Mercy Graves made her debut in Superman: The Animated Series. She was Luthor's chauffer and bodyguard. She proved to be so popular she made her crossover into the comics.

https://en.wikipedia.org/wiki/Mercy_Graves

I believe her brother Otis is a creation of this series.
And I'm reasonably confident they chose the name "Otis" as a reference to Ned Beatty's character in the Christopher Reeve movies.
Old 10-23-2018, 06:57 PM

I liked Supergirl rescuing the American flag and planting the pole back into the ground. Very iconic image. She and her cousin always stood for "truth, justice, and the American way."

Also, "Barney. That's my coffee and pizza name."

Didn't Bruce Boxleitner as the new President remind anybody else of Bill Clinton?
Old 10-23-2018, 09:24 PM

So the VP (now President) is going to be a giant asshole right? And probably in with the racists (Alienists?).
Old 10-23-2018, 09:31 PM

Quote:
Originally Posted by Quimby View Post
So the VP (now President) is going to be a giant asshole right? And probably in with the racists (Alienists?).
All signs point to yes.
Old 10-23-2018, 11:42 PM

Aww, I hope not. This is Captain Sheridan we’re talking about, after all.
Old 10-28-2018, 07:42 AM

S04E03: Man of Steel

AKA The Secret Origin of Agent Liberty

Man of Steel promo: https://youtu.be/QItfFu_NW5g

XANDER BERKELEY GUEST STARS IN THE ORIGIN STORY OF AGENT LIBERTY - Ben Lockwood didn't always hate aliens. Through a series of incidents, and input from his anti-alien father (guest star Xander Berkeley), Ben slowly transforms from a mild-mannered professor into the villainous Agent Liberty of today.
Old 10-28-2018, 08:20 AM

Is it just me? Because, seriously: what’s up with the mask?

Like, if he’s meant to be a weird and eccentric loner tinkering up little robots while doing some kind of ‘giggling inventor with a puppet theme’ bit — sure. Or if he’s just supposed to be a fawning oddball who cringingly obeys Mercy Graves in a childish or childlike manner or whatever — yeah, no problem.

But he’s presented as, what, a leader-type orator with a political agenda and some kind of ‘military’ aspect? Because, man, that mask just doesn’t work.
Old 10-28-2018, 09:09 AM

Hopefully tonight's episode will clear up the reason for the mask with some semblance of logic behind it. Otherwise, I agree, the mask is pretty lame.
Old 10-29-2018, 01:22 AM

Fun fact: While this is the third episode of the season, it was the first episode shot in production. They probably moved this episode up, which had very few scenes with Kara, as well as the next one, with Supergirl in the full body suit, in order to accomodate Melissa Benoist, who was till on Broadway playing Carole King.

I quite liked this episode, which fleshed out the motivations of the villain. At some point midway into his descent into villainy, I thought he made some good points regarding alien accommodation. But then he went off the deep end. I also liked showing the superhero battles from the viewpoint of the ordinary citizen. Like Powerless except played straight rather than for laughs. The mask is still lame though.

Nth metal (and Thanagar) was previously mentioned on Legends of Tomorrow, but this is the first time the substance has made an appearance on Supergirl. One of there are any stupid hawk flying chicken people Thanagarians flying around Earth-38.
Old 10-30-2018, 09:53 AM

I also enjoyed this episode. The grounds eye view of the last few season's events was really interesting. It reminded me of Astro City.

As an aside: I *love* episodes of shows that go back to events we have already seen and show them from other viewpoints. It is one of the reasons the Niki and Paulo episode of Lost is one of my favorites even though everyone hates it.

Re: Nth Metal. I am pretty sure it was also in Supergirl at one point not just Legends.

I wonder if that clip of Cat Grant was new, reused or previously unused footage.
Old 10-30-2018, 11:31 AM

Quote:
Originally Posted by Quimby View Post
Re: Nth Metal. I am pretty sure it was also in Supergirl at one point not just Legends.
Searching the Googles, I discover that Mama Luthor used Nth metal to imprison Kara and Mon-el. I recall thinking about Thanagarians then, too.
Old 11-04-2018, 08:40 AM

S04E04: Ahimsa

Ahimsa promo: https://youtu.be/DDXBuuTTwK4

J'ONN MEETS MANCHESTER BLACK - When Supergirl needs help, Alex asks Lena and Brainiac to team up. Meanwhile, J'onn questions his decision to quit the DEO. However, after running into Manchester Black (guest star David Ajala), he realizes there are a lot of ways to help his fellow aliens during this tumultuous time.
Old 11-05-2018, 01:49 AM
Charter Member

"These are tears of logic" was a very good, very in character line.
Old 11-05-2018, 02:53 AM

Our Lord Beebo has seen fit to grace National City. The city, and Earth-38, is surely saved now.

I'm unfamiliar with Manchester Black. Is he supposed to be from Manchester? If so, then there was something off about his accent; it didn't strike me as proper Mancunian.

Speaking of British accents, I finally figured out where I've seen the actress playing Fiona. She was in The Good Place, playing a demon who wanted to speak with a British accent. I guess she finally got her wish.

I like how they are choosing to portray Nia's development of her ability. It's very low key, not something you'd particularly notice unless you knew she's called the Dreamer.
Old 11-05-2018, 06:29 PM
Charter Member

Quote:
Originally Posted by Alessan View Post
Aww, I hope not. This is Captain Sheridan we’re talking about, after all.
I referred to him as the father of Captain Awesome first, then as Sheridan.
Old 11-05-2018, 06:41 PM

Quote:
Originally Posted by D_Odds View Post
I referred to him as the father of Captain Awesome first, then as Sheridan.
Anyone else old enough to recall him as "The Scarecrow" (https://en.wikipedia.org/wiki/Scarecrow_and_Mrs._King)
Old 11-05-2018, 07:00 PM

Quote:
Originally Posted by Terminus Est View Post
I'm unfamiliar with Manchester Black. Is he supposed to be from Manchester?
His exact birthplace is unknown in the comics, but Manchester is the actual name his parents gave him, not a nickname.
Old 11-11-2018, 05:44 AM

S04E05: Parasite Lost

Parasite Lost promo: https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=72w7N36ptas

THE POWER OF THE PEN - Colonel Haley makes a surprising decision regarding Supergirl. Kara writes s series of articles highlighting aliens in National City in the hopes that humans will stop being so fearful of them. Unfortunately, the article puts some of the aliens in harm's way.
Old 11-11-2018, 09:46 AM

Quote:
Originally Posted by Andy L View Post
Anyone else old enough to recall him as "The Scarecrow" (https://en.wikipedia.org/wiki/Scarecrow_and_Mrs._King)
Indeed. For a light rom/com they got spy tradecraft pretty on the nose.
Old 11-12-2018, 02:17 AM

Much as I like to see Kara doing reporterly things, I'm forced to admit - based on what we've seen in this episode - that she isn't a very good reporter. She wrote what was basically a puff piece about Amadeus (Amadeo? Amadei?) without exercising due diligence. She only took the time to research the background of her subject after her article had come out. Nia should find a better mentor.

Back in Season 1, the DEO reported to General Lane. Now it looks like this colonel lady is in charge. Were they demoted somehow? Is it even possible to demote an entire agency? Also, if she wants the agents to salute her, maybe she should wear her uniform.
Old 11-14-2018, 09:55 PM

Quote:
Originally Posted by Terminus Est View Post
Much as I like to see Kara doing reporterly things, I'm forced to admit - based on what we've seen in this episode - that she isn't a very good reporter. She wrote what was basically a puff piece about Amadeus (Amadeo? Amadei?) without exercising due diligence. She only took the time to research the background of her subject after her article had come out. Nia should find a better mentor.

Back in Season 1, the DEO reported to General Lane. Now it looks like this colonel lady is in charge. Were they demoted somehow? Is it even possible to demote an entire agency? Also, if she wants the agents to salute her, maybe she should wear her uniform.
Weird decisions were a theme this week, and what's really weird is that they often turn out right.

Kara writes a story without doing the proper research, and accidentally hits the right answer (Amadio really is a great guy).

Alex instinctively distrusts her new boss, but just as she's starting to reconsider, it turns out that the new boss has some serious issues.

The new boss apparently did no research on Alex - or she wouldn't be insulting Jonn (a father figure for Alex who gave her her current job) in front of her. The decision to reveal her true feelings so early probably won't turn out right for the new boss.
Old 11-18-2018, 05:57 AM

S04E06: Call to Action

Call to Action promo: https://youtu.be/-62t_D3j9vw

THANKSGIVING - Everyone gathers for Thanksgiving but Kara is feeling down after her televised debate with Ben Lockwood about the anti-alien sentiment coursing through National City. Meanwhile, James and Lena argue about the best way to handle the Children of Liberty.

In other news, they have cast Lex Luthor. It's Jon Cryer.
Old 11-19-2018, 07:24 AM

Elsewhere, I described Supergirl's political commentary as being akin to a sledgehammer. Yet they somehow captured more nuance then what passes for political commentary in the real-world mass media. That probably says something on the sad state of contemporary American politics.

Brainiac is really coming into his own. His interactions with Alex had just the right comedic touch as well as his flirtations with Nia. And he can handle himself in a fight.

Finally, lest you think this show is getting too hard hitting, Supergirl fought a dragon!
Old 11-19-2018, 10:25 AM

It’s a bit curious to me that Jimmy James Olsen is plausible as someone they’d sure like to talk with about their organization, maybe have him join up.

I mean, granted, if the whole thing is just being orchestrated so they can point at Guardian whupping various aliens, and so they can pull that bit on TV where Olsen doesn’t arrive to present a counterpoint because it seems he’d rather meet with them to discuss goals and tactics — okay, maybe. But is it that they honestly think they have a great pitch for a guy who’s famous for being Superman’s Pal?
Old 11-21-2018, 02:09 AM

The Supergirl version of the DEO is kind of...

Dumb. Or at least Haley is. (To be charitable. She might also be a complete racist asshole.)

OK, so they're not supposed to be protecting aliens from humans. That...really should have been changed with the alien amnesty, to be honest. But, whatever, inertia, and all that.

But even within that limit, you'd think 'preventing human hate groups from kidnapping/stealing and exploiting alien life forms and technology' would fit within their original mission, even if they're mostly targeting aliens with their violence. It's still aliens/alien tech being used to commit violence, with little to no concern about whether it affects humans, even when humans aren't actually being targeted.
Old 11-21-2018, 02:28 AM

I understand she's a nice person and all, but I can't see why Supergirl doesn't just say to Haley, "You know, I don't actually work for you. At best, I work with you."

As someone once said, this is why Superman works alone.

Last edited by Alessan; 11-21-2018 at 02:29 AM.
Old 11-21-2018, 04:13 AM

Does Supergirl actually work for the DEO? Does she draw a salary? Does she have a dental plan (not that she needs it)?

What's never been made clear is the exact mandate of the DEO. It's ostensibly under the Department of Defense, so I presume it's defense related. The opening voiceover for seasons 1-3 describes Supergirl as working with Alex at the DEO to "protect my city from alien life and anyone else that means to cause it harm". The current season changed it "to protect this planet I call my home from anyone that means to cause it harm".