Old 02-08-2019, 08:12 AM
Charter Member

Is it Verizon that has the fuzzy creatures calling each other and saying Hi-yeee and Bye-yeee?

I don't like that one because Hi-yeee and Bye-yeee are my words. I've been saying them for years to annoy my kids (it's my hobby). I picked it up from an old sitcom and I don't mind people knowing that but I don't want them to think I'm ripping off a stupid phone commercial.
Old 02-08-2019, 10:16 AM

Cricket Wireless is the one with the furry creatures.
Old 02-08-2019, 10:31 AM

Some current commercial depicts assorted young people dancing with joy in a public shopping street. What is elating them? Why, it's the concept of getting a copper IUD inserted! Oh, rapture!
Old 02-08-2019, 10:36 AM

That's induction from walking under power lines with a copper IUD. ZAP!
Old 02-10-2019, 10:36 AM

Quote:
Originally Posted by Biggirl View Post
I'm from The Bronx and raised my children in Brooklyn and I do not hear this 'pan' difference in pronunciation at all.
If you're from NYC you should hear the difference between Mary and marry. If so, the girl sings the word pan to sound like marry, not Mary. There's definitely a difference to my ears.
-IQ
Old 02-10-2019, 10:51 AM

Quote:
Originally Posted by BwanaBob View Post
If you're from NYC you should hear the difference between Mary and marry. If so, the girl sings the word pan to sound like marry, not Mary. There's definitely a difference to my ears.
I do hear the difference between Mary, marry and merry. Pan is pan. What other way do you pronounce it?
Old 02-10-2019, 11:00 AM
Charter Member

Getting back to the subject of annoying commercials, this one from Kay Jewelers in which an adult man is asking permission of a boy to marry the boy's mother.
Old 02-10-2019, 11:08 AM

Who decided shiny white plastic robots were funny?
Old 02-10-2019, 01:32 PM

There's a mattress commercial in heavy rotation lately that starts with the sound of a crying baby, followed by 30 seconds of various screaming/crying kid noises, until the harried mom can finally lie down on her comfy new mattress at the end of the day.

I can't hit the mute button fast enough. If you never want me to buy your product, use crying children in your commercial.
Old 02-10-2019, 01:39 PM

Quote:
Originally Posted by Son of a Rich View Post
Who decided shiny white plastic robots were funny?
I will watch all of the Sprint commercials with robots if it means I don't ever have to see this TurboTax commercial again:

https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=JIRX3yWhgZI
Old 02-10-2019, 02:07 PM

Quote:
Originally Posted by cochrane View Post
I will watch all of the Sprint commercials with robots if it means I don't ever have to see this TurboTax commercial again:

I think we can build a multi-national pact of mutual agreement, starting us on the road to real global peace if we can all agree to kill those "Free, free, free" with gasoline and matches.

Last edited by Biggirl; 02-10-2019 at 02:09 PM.
Old 02-10-2019, 02:14 PM
Arms of Steel, Leg of Jello
Charter Member

Really poor attempt at fundraising.
Yes, it's really a product aimed at cyclists.
Old 02-10-2019, 03:35 PM

Quote:
I think we can build a multi-national pact of mutual agreement, starting us on the road to real global peace if we can all agree to kill those "Free, free, free" with gasoline and matches.
Like this?

Last edited by cochrane; 02-10-2019 at 03:36 PM.
Old 02-10-2019, 04:38 PM

Quote:
Originally Posted by Dewey Finn View Post
Getting back to the subject of annoying commercials, this one from Kay Jewelers in which an adult man is asking permission of a boy to marry the boy's mother.
its supposed to be cute . ive seen the real thing on you tube a couple of times

I don't mind it if my opinion was asked id of told mom to wait for the guy she should of waited for instead of who she married the 2nd time ...
Old 02-10-2019, 04:58 PM

Quote:
Originally Posted by running coach View Post
WTF??? Poor, Indeed!
Old 02-10-2019, 05:00 PM

Quote:

That there is nightmare fuel.
Old 02-10-2019, 09:51 PM

Quote:
That was cruel.
Old 02-10-2019, 11:33 PM
Charter Member

Quote:
No, that's not creepy at all, no...
Old 02-11-2019, 06:07 AM
Charter Member

Quote:
Quote:
Originally Posted by DrDeth View Post
No, that's not creepy at all, no...
I thought it was funny as hell.
*breaks down sobbing*
Old 02-11-2019, 06:57 AM

There's a toilet paper commercial with mama and papa bear afraid to pick up their child's underwear because they fear it may be unclean or contaminated in some way. Junior enters and happily picks up the briefs in question, explaining (through the miracle of song) that his underwear is clean because his ass is clean.

It's even worse than I'm making it sound.

Quote:
Originally Posted by casdave View Post
Firstly, the company arrogantly tried to copyright the word 'peloton' which has been in use in racing cyclists ever since cyclists went for massed start races. Next, a peloton can only exist if there are a group of riders in a bunch - this is because the concept of drafting and teamwork are utterly crucial in cycle racing - but the product show individuals in their own boxes riding their machines, so there is no possibility of drafting or teamwork
It's a stationary bicycle. Even if you had a hundred of them together, drafting is not going to be a major factor.
Old 02-11-2019, 06:59 AM
Charter Member

Quote:
Originally Posted by Robot Arm View Post
There's a toilet paper commercial with mama and papa bear afraid to pick up their child's underwear because they fear it may be unclean or contaminated in some way. Junior enters and happily picks up the briefs in question, explaining (through the miracle of song) that his underwear is clean because his ass is clean.

It's even worse than I'm making it sound.
What's weird is the bears are naked. When do they wear underwear?
Old 02-11-2019, 08:12 AM

Quote:
What's weird is the bears are naked. When do they wear underwear?
I noticed that. As stupid as it is, that's the least bad thing about this commercial.
Old 02-11-2019, 12:02 PM

Quote:
Damn that is bad. But what about the freakin' product itself? They can't figure out how to make the light one piece so you don't have to have a flashlight shining into a plastic funnel?

Dennis
Old 02-11-2019, 12:18 PM

The idea is that it is a plastic funnel to use on any flashing light. Doesn't look like it would fix many types of lights, that aren't a round flashlight like that.
Old 02-11-2019, 09:18 PM

Ack.. just saw the latest Chevy "real people" commercial. It's for the new Chevy Colorado pickup truck. One of the real people actually said "it looks beefy and mean". I despise those commercials, but GM's ad agency must be laughing all the way to the bank.
Old 02-11-2019, 10:18 PM

Quote:
Originally Posted by Orwell View Post
Ack.. just saw the latest Chevy "real people" commercial. It's for the new Chevy Colorado pickup truck. One of the real people actually said "it looks beefy and mean". I despise those commercials, but GM's ad agency must be laughing all the way to the bank.
Progressive Insurance has a parody commercial with "real actors, not people."
Old 02-11-2019, 11:39 PM

Quote:
Originally Posted by Orwell View Post
One of the commercials has a ditz exclaim: "I can't stop staring at it!!!" Geeze...
Old 02-12-2019, 09:22 AM

The Amazon Alexa one where the kid has a pet Piggy that gets too big for the house. The parents take Mr. Piggy away and the viewer thinks he died or something, but they actually set Piggy up in his own place and they have Alexa video in the Piggy so the kid can read to him.

Why doesn't the kid just, you know, go to Piggy's house and visit him? It's not like they placed Piggy in a sty or anything, it's a really nice room.
Old 02-12-2019, 07:30 PM
Charter Member

I don't get that one either... Can't say I've watched it very closely though. Is the implication that Piggy had to be moved to a farm (which, incidentally, is a phrase that typically indicates the animal in question is dead), so the kid can't just pop outside to say hi without the aid of modern technology?
Old 02-12-2019, 07:36 PM

The one I don't get the reasoning behind is the Expedia one where the little girl wears a tiger costume and has to fly away to a far away land to see a tiger in a zoo. Where do they live that they need to plan a vacation to go to the zoo?
Old 02-13-2019, 07:31 AM
Charter Member

There's a new Toyota commercial which is nothing but a little girl laughing all the way through. It was on three times this morning while I was getting ready for work. I am just looking for an excuse to commit acts of violence today.
Old 02-13-2019, 07:55 AM
Charter Member

There is one I've seen recently that I don't understand. I think it is for some tax prep company? There is a douchey guy in the lunch room at work, and he's dressed like Dick Cavett*, pretending to be on his yacht while he video chats with the tax prep lady. At least I assume it is video chat, because you can see her face on his phone while they are talking. But then some woman across the lunch room pipes up and says "You know she can't see you, right?" WTF?

* That there's a Caddyshack reference, for all you young'uns
Old 02-13-2019, 09:00 AM
Charter Member

Quote:
The one I don't get the reasoning behind is the Expedia one where the little girl wears a tiger costume and has to fly away to a far away land to see a tiger in a zoo. Where do they live that they need to plan a vacation to go to the zoo?
In that case, I think the commercial tells us they're going to San Diego, which is famous for its zoo. I can well understand there are people who travel there just to visit the zoo. (There's also a Seaworld and a Legoland nearby, so it's a plausible destination for someone with a small child.)
Old 02-13-2019, 09:25 AM
Charter Member

Quote:
Originally Posted by Dewey Finn View Post
I think the commercial tells us they're going to San Diego...
Yep.

Last edited by Skywatcher; 02-13-2019 at 09:25 AM.
Old 02-13-2019, 10:28 AM

Quote:
I do hear the difference between Mary, marry and merry. Pan is pan. What other way do you pronounce it?
Ok, since you say you can distinguish the three vowel sounds in Mary/marry/merry, I'll try once more. Presumably you and I pronounce "pan" the same way, and that way uses the vowel sound found in "Mary". Good so far? Well the person in the commercial sings the word "pan" such that they use the vowel sound in "Marry". I hope this helps.
-IQ

Last edited by BwanaBob; 02-13-2019 at 10:29 AM.
Old 02-18-2019, 03:45 PM

The Ford commercial: "Whatever party you got going on in back, get a Ford up front." (Or something like that.)

Ford - the mullet of trucks.
Old 02-20-2019, 08:08 AM
Charter Member

Quote:
Originally Posted by BwanaBob View Post
Ok, since you say you can distinguish the three vowel sounds in Mary/marry/merry, I'll try once more. Presumably you and I pronounce "pan" the same way, and that way uses the vowel sound found in "Mary". Good so far? Well the person in the commercial sings the word "pan" such that they use the vowel sound in "Marry". I hope this helps.
Can y'all take this conversation to private messages or a new thread or something? Thanks so much.

My latest horrible commercial annoyance is "WHEEEEEE!" The stupid Geico commercial with Max the pig. I was so happy when they took it off the air years ago, and now they're having a contest or something to vote on your favorite old Geico commercial. Stupid, if you ask me. Which they didn't.
Old 02-20-2019, 10:22 AM
Charter Member

"Worst of GEICO" is more like it. There's really only one good commercial in that bunch, the one with the gecko being interviewed. The rest range from *meh* (the two squirrels in the street) to being muted ASAP (that damn camel).
Old 02-20-2019, 10:27 AM
Charter Member

Quote:
Originally Posted by Skywatcher View Post
"Worst of GEICO" is more like it. There's really only one good commercial in that bunch, the one with the gecko being interviewed. The rest range from *meh* (the two squirrels in the street) to being muted ASAP (that damn camel).
*looks at calendar*
Hey, guess what today is!!!
Old 02-20-2019, 10:30 AM

I'm annoyed that Cadbury can't be arsed to make a new commercial for their eggs. I don't mind the 40 year old ad per se, but jeez, how about updating? I think Grumpy Cat would make an excellent easter bunny candidate.

Also, I love the little piggy Geico commercial (just look at the pinwheels in his little hooves!) but I can totally understand how someone could despise it. I do wish they hadn't given him a snotty teenagers voice, though.
Old 02-20-2019, 02:09 PM

Quote:
Originally Posted by WOOKINPANUB View Post
I'm annoyed that Cadbury can't be arsed to make a new commercial for their eggs. . .
DISAGREE!
The Cadbury Easter Bunny audition and the Corona Feliz Navidad commercials are how I mark the passage of each year!

mc
Old 02-20-2019, 02:43 PM

Quote:
Originally Posted by Dolores Reborn View Post
Can y'all take this conversation to private messages or a new thread or something? Thanks so much.

My latest horrible commercial annoyance is "WHEEEEEE!" The stupid Geico commercial with Max the pig. I was so happy when they took it off the air years ago, and now they're having a contest or something to vote on your favorite old Geico commercial. Stupid, if you ask me. Which they didn't.
It's the little piggie going whee whee whee all the way home.
Old 02-20-2019, 02:48 PM

Quote:
Originally Posted by mikecurtis View Post
DISAGREE!
The Cadbury Easter Bunny audition and the Corona Feliz Navidad commercials are how I mark the passage of each year!

mc
The Hershey Kiss bells have something to say about that!
Old 02-20-2019, 03:43 PM

yeah, there are quite a few perennial xmas commercials:
The Norleco Santa
The Andre champagne silver bells
but it's Feliz Navidad that I look forward to!

mc
Old 02-20-2019, 04:22 PM
Charter Member

The Chewy.com commercial with the clueless puppy owner is terrible. What does the puppy eat?? OMG, the puppy uses the toilet inside! Putting crates together is haaaaaaard!!! There's nothing funny about people who don't bother to do a bit of research before getting any pet...in reality, chances are that the cute lil' puppy in the commercial would be dumped at a shelter within a couple of weeks.
Old 02-20-2019, 05:33 PM
Friend of Cecil
Charter Member

Quote:
This commercial reminds me of one that was running a while back, where the father lets his young daughter dress like a sheriff once a week so he can wash her princess costume that she otherwise refuses to take off. In both commercials, the father is the parent who apparently allows the daughter to wear the same clothing 24x7 for a week at a time without washing.
Old 02-20-2019, 05:52 PM

I love Maxwell the pig. I like the camel too, "Hump daaaaay!" And the comments about the little kid and his pig - common, the little tyke has spent his entire life snuggling next to the piggie. Don't you guys have kids or grand kids?

Dennis
Old 02-20-2019, 09:37 PM

Quote:
Originally Posted by Dolores Reborn View Post

Who is the guy with the strained voice and twisted up face at the beginning supposed to be a parody of?
Old 02-20-2019, 10:24 PM

Quote:
Who is the guy with the strained voice and twisted up face at the beginning supposed to be a parody of?
I always thought he resembled Robert Stack.
Old 02-20-2019, 10:53 PM

Quote:
Almost a Rod Serling kind of thing.