Old 07-23-2018, 05:02 AM
Charter Member

I Don't Have A Topic, But Here's The MMP

Since we don't have one yet, I'll make this attempt to start the new MMP. No topic, like that matters anyway. We just need to have a new one so here 'tis!

Good Mornin' Y'all! Up and caffeinatin'. *YAWN* 'Tis71 Amurrkin out and partly cloudy (dark actually) with a predicted high of 87 and kinda sorta N.O.S. for the day with the possibility of rain/tstorms/apocalypse this afternoon. Or not. Today is spiff da cave day. Rah. We shall sup upon tacos. OLÈ!

Now I need more caffeine and rumbly tummy wants to be fed. Then, let the defilthyfyin' commence!

Happy Moanday Y'all!
Old 07-23-2018, 05:26 AM
I'm nice, dammit!
Charter Member

It's like a sauna outside!! Weird, because it's hovering just below 80°, but there's 947% humidity! We usually leave the window in the basement stairwell open since the cat box lives there, but when I went to clean the box this morning, the walls felt wet! Condensation on the cooler side of the stairwell - ick! So the window's closed and with luck, the damp will abate. Eventually. We're promised a soggy week.

And on top of that, I tried to log in to this computer with the wrong password. Thankfully, it doesn't lock you out after 3 tried, because I remembered it on the 4th attempt.

Happy Moanday!
Old 07-23-2018, 05:31 AM

Happy Moonday!

It's a dark and cloudy 72 degrees outside.
It's supposed to rain all day today and the high is predicted to be 79.

I feel a bit blurfy this morning. I woke at 4, damn bladder; between the thunderboomer and the trash people I had trouble falling back asleep.

Nothing special to do today. Some phone calls to make, some bills to pay. Finish up the stuff I didn't get done yesterday.
Old 07-23-2018, 06:04 AM

I went to bed at 6:30last night. Woke up a few times for the bathroom. Crazy. It’s not like I ran a marathon yesterday. Today is irk. Whatevs.
Old 07-23-2018, 06:25 AM

Morning all. Like swampy, it's 71F here, only going to 82F today. Rain chances have decreased, however, so if no rain today the lawn will be watered.

Still need to clear the kitchen out for the remodelers, prevarcated all weekend but I will get it done today...I think.

Moooomm, my computer gives me a hint when I mess up the login.
Old 07-23-2018, 06:30 AM
I'm nice, dammit!
Charter Member

MetalMouse - part of my password includes the month (I change it on the 1st of ever month) but I brain-farted and was thinking it was still June. Once I got the date straight, it was all good. I hadn't had caffeine - that's my excuse.
Old 07-23-2018, 07:40 AM

I have bad blurf this morning. Couldn't sleep last night, it was too humid and muggy, and when I finally did get to sleep I slept right through til 11.30. I am off and don't have much to do today, so it doesn't really matter, but I have't done that in ages.

My main important thing to do today is already done; start harassing Uni. For some reason, we (and I have checked with other classmates) haven't had a bunch of results that we should have had by the first week in July at the latest. I was told they were juuuust waiting on the second opinion check back in June, but it's just dragged on, and on, and they're not replying to emails.
I'm personally not all that worried, I don't think I messed up badly on any, and I think I'm through to next year whatever they are, but that is not the case for one of my friends, and besides, being this late is Not On. Said friend has enough on her plate right now, including a Mum with cancer, and really does not need the extra stress.
'Cos I do the stoodint outreach stuff, I know a few more options to try pester as well.

Aside from that, I plan to go check the small buzzy things, which shoulda been checked at the weekend really, but I'm pretty confident they're not likely to swarm right now and they should have food. It wound up being a really busy weekend, and the only time I got free really wasn't very good weather for checking them, it felt really stormy, which gets them wound up. Didn't get any real rain though.

Plus I need to do washing and food shopping. If I can cope with the excitement.
Old 07-23-2018, 08:35 AM

That was one of the most exhausting 3-day weekends I've ever had. Spend all day Friday running errands and doing laundry and such so we could spend all day Saturday and Sunday with my husband's extended family. We went places, we had board game nights, we hung around... but I'm done. I need a couple nights in my own house.

Also, somehow we decided to take the kids camping this upcoming weekend. My 5-year-old is totally pumped, but my 2-year-old will have no idea what's going on. I've never gone camping with little kids, so I'm trying to figure out how to keep them safe, warm, and enjoying their time. Especially since my 2-year-old will not stay in a sleeping bag. He hates being confined like that. So if anyone has tips for camping with kiddos, I'm looking for advice!
Old 07-23-2018, 08:52 AM
KB not found. Press any key
Charter Member

Quote:
Originally Posted by Serenata67 View Post
Especially since my 2-year-old will not stay in a sleeping bag. He hates being confined like that. So if anyone has tips for camping with kiddos, I'm looking for advice!
I think I was in grade school before we began camping, but I hated it. I hated sitting in a boat for hours on end, trying to catch fish that I hated eating. (I was convinced that I would die if I swallowed a bone.) I still hate hearing a zipper in the morning, because I was going to have to get out of bed in the cold, cold dark. I hated outhouses.
Perhaps if my parents had waited until I was older, things would have gone better.
Old 07-23-2018, 08:59 AM

I should phone my dad and ask if his sister, my aunt, is all right. She and her partner and my cousins live in a neighbourhood where there was a shooting last night.
Old 07-23-2018, 09:13 AM
born to be shunned

Up and adulting. Knoebels on Thursday and Friday so anything this week throws at me is OK. Can't wait to see all the kinfolk and friends there again.
Old 07-23-2018, 09:26 AM

The sun came out for a bit, now it is all dark and gloomy again.

I was going to sit outside for a bit with the critters but they are napping. Napping is a good thing, it keeps them out of trouble.
Old 07-23-2018, 09:54 AM

I decided to stop by because I'm supposed to be doing something else. In theory, catering a wedding is something that I really enjoy doing. But in practice, the planning stages drive me nuts and that's what I'm working on right now.

So, hi everyone, how have you been?
Old 07-23-2018, 01:14 PM
I'm nice, dammit!
Charter Member

This day is dragging - still more than an hour to go...
Old 07-23-2018, 01:39 PM

Quote:
Originally Posted by carnivorousplant View Post
Perhaps if my parents had waited until I was older, things would have gone better.
My parents started me before I can remember and we carried right through until I left for university. I can't stand it. I like nature, but camping drives me stark raving me mad.

I'll try to get a longer "Alaska" post organized, but for now Happy Monday. Everyone seems to be alive and well. Hubby is back to work tomorrow. We may go see a movie this afternoon. That seems to be about the extent of our plans.
Old 07-23-2018, 01:41 PM

Midget: Family OK?

Howdy StickyBuns; we're all hanging on OK, with the usual life problems and triumphs. Y'all need to stick around awhile.

Juliet. I have never been camping so I can't provide any real advice, but taking a 2 year old out into the wilderness for several days seems like an extraordinarily bad idea. Get some rest now, you probably won't get any during the trip.

Nut, give'em hell! Sometimes folks at University level can be as bad as Government bureaucrats are supposed to be, so get after them.

Bought some packing for the dishes so I can finish cleaning out my kitchen. Got a note from my contractor, they will drop off a dumpster and some of the working materials tomorrow, but work may not start until next week (one of his foremen needed to go to hospital). Gives me more of a chance to finish off the food in my refrigerator--that noted, I also bought a mini-fridge, we'll see how that works out for the future.
Old 07-23-2018, 01:48 PM

I loved camping as a kid and still do. My Dad started me young as well.

We took our kids camping when they were young and they seemed to enjoy it. At the time, we had a camper, so that definitely helped. We also took them tent camping and they enjoyed that as well. BLUF: Just keep them occupied with games, little treasure hunts, walks and they will be fine. Besides, camping naps are the BEST!
Old 07-23-2018, 02:54 PM

We're not going for days... basically just an afternoon/evening. We're going some places on our way to the campsite Saturday morning, getting to the campground around 3ish and hanging out there for the afternoon/evening. We'll spend the night and take it all apart after breakfast. So if he totally hates it, it's just one night. I never went camping with my family as a kid; we were very much city folk. I wish we had gone camping and spent more time in nature. To this day, I'd rather hear traffic than crickets as I fall asleep. But I want to have that kind of experience while they're young so it's not so jarring and weird when they get older, like it is for me.

I'm going to bring along some games and toys. My son loves to roll, throw and bounce balls, so I'll bring a few large, brightly colored balls for him to toss around. He also likes his trucks and cars, so I'll bring a few of those for him to drive (push) around the campsite. I'm more concerned with keeping his little body comfy at night. I'm bring a foam pad for him to sleep on, and he'll be in warm footie jammies, but I'm not sure if it'll be enough for his tiny body when paired with a warm blanket. (Ok, he's wearing 4T clothing, so he's not tiny for his age... but he's still tiny to me.)
Old 07-23-2018, 03:28 PM

I don't remember the first time I went camping- I must have been pretty tiny, if not as tiny as the youngest attendee on the camping trip/mini festival I was at this year, who I think was about 12 days old when he arrived...

One night in decent weather should be OK with a toddler, the trips I didn't enjoy as a kid were all the ones where we went for a week and it rained, but we didn't have anywhere to get dry, or to cook anything. Soggy, cold and eating baked beans out of the tin because the bread's gone mouldy. Not fun. Plus the thinnest foam mattresses that human ingenuity could devise. I do remember good camping trips as well, but the bad ones were normally spectacularly bad.

Did virtually nothing today, aside from send emails to people. I didn't get round to checking on the bees, just felt too washed out. Hopefully I'll get some energy by tomorrow.
Old 07-23-2018, 04:32 PM
Charter Member

Quote:
Originally Posted by Filbert View Post
...Plus the thinnest foam mattresses that human ingenuity could devise...
You had mattresses? I had a sleeping bed and a wobbly cot.
Old 07-23-2018, 04:50 PM
I'm nice, dammit!
Charter Member

We never went camping. Roughing it meant no room service! Actually, we didn't have a stay-at-a-hotel vacation till 1964 when we went to the World's Fair, and after that, not again till maybe 5 years later. It was just too expensive.

However, for a lot of years, FCD and I would take the boat out for up to 2 weeks at a time, so it was sorta like the RV version of camping.

Oh yeah - I'm home. Supper is Hamburger Helper Stroganoff, jazzed up with onions, mushrooms, and green peas. It's not great, but it was quick and easy, so there's that.
Old 07-23-2018, 05:12 PM
Charter Member

Howdy Y'all! I defilthyfied da cave and then had some quality cee-mint pond time this afternoon as it turned out to be a nice day. Not quite as hyooooooomid as usual even. There are some scattered tstorms in the area so we may get one or two this evenin'. Fine by me. Tacos were good.

{{{StickyBuns}}} ::tacklehug:: LTNS! Come back and play. Hope the weddin' plannin' goes well and sans Bridezillas and Groomonsters.
Old 07-23-2018, 05:14 PM
Charter Member

Quote:
Originally Posted by FairyChatMom View Post
Oh yeah - I'm home. Supper is Hamburger Helper Stroganoff, jazzed up with onions, mushrooms, and green peas. It's not great, but it was quick and easy, so there's that.
It's quick, easy, and customizable (sp). I use cream instead of milk.
Old 07-23-2018, 05:46 PM
I'm nice, dammit!
Charter Member

I looked at the half-n-half in the fridge, but stuck with the milk.
Old 07-23-2018, 05:52 PM

Quote:
You had a cot?! I'm just happy we had a tent.
Old 07-23-2018, 06:31 PM

My tent was so small that my feet hung out the bottom of it.

If it rained I got soaked because it is true that if you touch the inside of the tent the rain will leak in.
Old 07-23-2018, 06:35 PM

Quote:
Originally Posted by Sunny
You had a cot?! I'm just happy we had a tent.
You had a tent? All we had was a cardboard box! And we liked it!

It's 93 Merikan degrees outside right now, and full on sun.
I just got through watering the melons and maters and stuff. Whew!

I used to go camping when I was younger. It wasn't something my family did, but after I left 'home' I fell in with a more adventuresome crowd.
These days I have enough trouble sleeping in a comfy bed. Not gonna lay onnna ground. No siree!

Helpful hint: If you pitch your tent in a gully, and it starts to rain, move your tent!
Errr, so I'm told.

Wifey and I do occasionally look at little travel trailers however. Haven't bought one yet though. We like the looks of this one. Now all we need to do is win the lottery.
Old 07-23-2018, 07:10 PM

Quote:
Originally Posted by Bumbazine View Post

Homeless, bumba, you were homeless not camping.

metal mouse, maybe we should have a Mumpfest at teh JD distillery.

George, I've been to Fall Mills Falls! It was nice.

Juliet, I grew up camping. If you're putting Romeo, Jr in a sleeping bag at the end of July, no wonder he would want out! Make a pallet inside the tent, either on the floor of it or an air mattress, make sure he has a sheet to cover up with and he'll be fine. What has always worked for the groups that I've camped with is that each preschool child had an assigned adult, kids older than that could hang with the teens or adults as a group and everybody stays safe.

Hiya, sticky!

Well, Copper is leaving tomorrow. After a day of trying to straighten out the rent check mess, I came home to the carpet in my bedroom being torn up for about a foot inside the door. I sent pics to her owner and told him that the choice was to spend every day, all day with her or pick her up. He's picking her up. She's a sweetheart as long as there's a human around, but a basket case when left alone.
Old 07-23-2018, 07:24 PM

My family never went camping. It was something people on the south side of Chicago just did not do. I went camping with the Girl Scouts and can't say I enjoyed it. I have no interest in ever doing it. Ursala Kitteh is now lounging on MY chair. Red, remind me of Copper's backstory. Why is she with you?

Last edited by peedin; 07-23-2018 at 07:27 PM.
Old 07-23-2018, 08:11 PM

My family is all right, thank goodness.
Old 07-23-2018, 08:16 PM

Quote:
Originally Posted by swampbear View Post
had some quality cee-mint pond time this afternoon as it turned out to be a nice day.
::brings Super soaker to cee-mint pond::

Quote:
You had a cardboard box? We found a big rock; & we liked it!

Quote:
Originally Posted by missred View Post
Howsabout a virtual Mumperfest?
::grabs bottle::
::swigs::

I bought a 6-person, 2-sided (3 & 3 w/ inner partition) tent, figgering OBL would get his own half so that we might be able to sleep. Never got to use it, though.
Old 07-23-2018, 08:38 PM

wet one, Copper's family is in the process of moving and had a gap of two weeks between places. They originally asked if I could take all three dogs and the cat while they were in a suite hotel, but I said no. I did volunteer to try with Copper. She does have abandonment issues, which I didn't know about before taking her on. She destroyed the window blinds in the bedroom and now has destroyed about a foot of the carpet. Anyway, her owner called another friend and she came to pick her up.

From now on, any canine visitors must come attatched to their humans. Actually, Sis will be here this weekend with Nelson's mother and brother. However, she'll be taking care of them and Nelson has spent enough time with them, even since he's been with me, that I don't forsee any problems.
Old 07-23-2018, 08:54 PM

For me, camping out these days are in nice hotels. The one in Beijing had a toilet (Japanese made) with a built in bidet...you had a control panel to make it work. That's my idea of roughing it...

Will pack up dishes tomorrow (did put the boxes together so there's that. Need to take some 'before' pictures so I can compare them to the 'after' remodeling.

Red, I'm game for a Jack Daniels trip, but you can't sample or buy any of the product, as the county it's located in is Dry (means no booze sold there).

Midget, glad family is OK.

Last edited by The Stainless Steel Rat; 07-23-2018 at 08:57 PM.
Old 07-23-2018, 09:20 PM
Charter Member

Quote:
Originally Posted by EmilyG View Post
I am glad.
Old 07-23-2018, 09:43 PM
Charter Member

Quote:
Originally Posted by The Stainless Steel Rat
Red, I'm game for a Jack Daniels trip, but you can't sample or buy any of the product, as the county it's located in is Dry (means no booze sold there).
You can definitely sample some JD on their tours. They have one called the Dry County tour that has no tasting, but the other four current offerings have tastings.

And they do sell special commemorative bottles. Oh dear, someone wasn't paying attention and put the commemorative bottles into the bottling line. You're free to leave the contents in the bottle.
Old 07-23-2018, 10:30 PM
Charter Member

Worked a double.

I wnet camping at the beach once. With Gordie and a 180lbs GSD mix that hated noises. And the drunks three tents down were setting fireworks off all night.

Quote:
Originally Posted by Sticks and Scones View Post
I decided to stop by because I'm supposed to be doing something else. In theory, catering a wedding is something that I really enjoy doing. But in practice, the planning stages drive me nuts and that's what I'm working on right now.

So, hi everyone, how have you been?
Hey sticky! Hanging in there.

Quote:
Originally Posted by missred View Post
Homeless, bumba, you were homeless not camping.

I'd go back. And do the "wet" tour.

Quote:
Originally Posted by EmilyG View Post
I'm glad.
Old 07-24-2018, 03:34 AM

Quote:
My parents called it a mattress, what it actually was was a yoga mat on a diet with delusions of grandeur. I swear they made the ground harder.

By the way, the word 'cot' in England is exclusively used for a baby bed, especially one with sides so said baby can't climb out.

Actually slept OK and awoke at a sane time today, with a bit more energy. I have irk this evening, but I should actually manage to get some things done today.
Old 07-24-2018, 05:32 AM
I'm nice, dammit!
Charter Member

Liquid precip continues - lots of flash flood advisories all over the place. There's a little creek in Leonardtown that was up over its banks and into the adjacent parking lot - it's only the second time in 14 years that I've seen that happen! I'm so glad we live on one of the higher lots in our neighborhood - a couple of places are now waterfront properties! I'm also glad we got the area outside the basement graded and cemented - no more flooding down there - huzzah!

Not sure what today will bring - it's just another day in paradise! Happy Tuesday!!
Old 07-24-2018, 05:32 AM

Fine, I'll talk to myself then.

Further harassment of Uni has been rendered unnecessary; they finally sent grades today. Whether this had anything to do with me emailing anyone I could think of, or if that was like repeatedly pressing the 'summon lift' button, I don't know.

Pretty happy with them in the main; one or two things I should have done a bit better on, but as they have a slightly weird way of calculating the final grade, they shouldn't affect it anyway.
Old 07-24-2018, 05:46 AM
Charter Member

Good Mornin' Y'all! Up and caffeinatin'. *YAWN* 'Tis 71 Amurrkin out and partly cloudy, whatever that means, with a predicted high of 88, mostly cloudy, again, whatever that means, and a chance of rain/tstorms/apocalypse this afternoon/evenin'. It's laundry day. Rah. We shall sup upon poke loin and whatever vegetative matter I decide upon. The poke loin shall be placed in the slow cooker shortly. Got a couple errands that need doin' but would rather do 'em tomorrow as tomorrow I shall be forced, forced, I say, to be about the public.

Midget glad the family is OK.

My idea of campin' is a hotel with no room service.

Now I need more caffeine and to feed rumbly tummy. Then, well, laundry awaits! Woo and Hoo.

Happy Tuesday Y'all!
Old 07-24-2018, 06:50 AM

Happy Toosday!

It's a humid 73 degrees outside. Supposed to rain all day.

Nothing special to do today. We did Ripple's toenails last night. He is getting better about it. I barely have to hold him anymore, he yawned a few times and even tilted his head back to give me a kiss.
Old 07-24-2018, 07:16 AM
I'm nice, dammit!
Charter Member

Geez - when Higgs has her nails clipped, you'd think we were using a body grinder dipped in boiling hot acid! We pay someone else to do it, and I've found the noise is less if I'm in front of Higgs skritching her and telling her what a good dog she is.
Old 07-24-2018, 07:29 AM

Quote:
By the way, the word 'cot' in England is exclusively used for a baby bed, especially one with sides so said baby can't climb out.
Flytrap sleeps in a crib, flytrap sleeps in a crib!

Quote:
Fine, I'll talk to myself then.
Don't feel bad; that was two hours overnight here in 'Murica. Swampy does that on a semi-regular basis during waking hours.

Took L-pup to the groomers one time to clip her nails. Gave her a lampshade & three people holding her (including two that she lived with) & a fourth attempting to clip her nails. She escaped from all three people & the lampshade!
Strong she was.
Old 07-24-2018, 07:48 AM

Up and awake. 71F out but little chance of rain, so will have to get the sprinklers deployed this evening. Breakfast consumed and dish-packing will commence shortly.

Actually watched a couple movies yesterday: Journey 2: The Mysterious Islan with Dwayne "The Rock" Johnson. Not bad, nothing special but competently done. Second was the Tom Cruise War of the Worlds which seemed to love showing how many people they could kill. Utterly depressing and unbelievable ending. Watch the old 1960's version instead.
Old 07-24-2018, 08:07 AM

Quote:
Originally Posted by Spiderman View Post
You had a cardboard box? We found a big rock; & we liked it!
We had a hole in the ground covered by a sheet of tarpaulin!

Yeah, I'm rethinking the whole sleeping bag thing... It's supposed to be a low of 58 the night we're camping, so Juliet Jr will be fine with some warm jammies and her light sleeping bag on her foam pad. Romeo Jr will have footie jammies and we'll make a blanket sandwich for him (take a long blanket sideways, put some underneath and some over him) on his foam pad. Romeo and I get air mattresses. Dems the perks of being a grown up.

This has been fun reading everyone's camping stories! I didn't expect it to take off like that!
Old 07-24-2018, 08:18 AM
I'm nice, dammit!
Charter Member

I thought the updated War of the Worlds was beyond stupid. Apart from Dakota Fanning's constant screaming, and that idiotic bit with the airplane crashing, and the car that never seemed to run out of gas...

I can only suspend so much disbelief...
Old 07-24-2018, 08:36 AM

Oh, I could tell you camping stories, except then you would probably change your mind about camping.

One time we were all coming back from the bath house. We heard my uncle, who had gone on ahead of us, SCREAM! My uncle was 6'3", ex-marine, build like a bulldog. He came up on our campsite and saw the back end of a bear sticking out of the tent.

Then there was the night I was running down the path to the restrooms, It was pouring rain and what do I see? A skunk in the middle of the path. Slippery as it was, I managed to do a 180 and run the other way.
Old 07-24-2018, 08:41 AM

Quote:
Originally Posted by Sahirrnee View Post
One time we were all coming back from the bath house. We heard my uncle, who had gone on ahead of us, SCREAM! My uncle was 6'3", ex-marine, build like a bulldog. He came up on our campsite and saw the back end of a bear sticking out of the tent.
I've heard of a blue moon, & a harvest moon, & a new moon, & a strawberry moon, but never a bear moon.
Old 07-24-2018, 08:57 AM
born to be shunned

Quote:

You had a cardboard box? Bloody upper-class twit. We huddled under our coats and tried to sit as small as we could!

Quote:
Originally Posted by Sahirrnee View Post
Oh, I could tell you camping stories, except then you would probably change your mind about camping.
Try 18th century-style camping ---- the stories just write themselves. Old Fort Niagara is always too hot, too cold, too wet, too dry and too windy and often all in the same hour. A fellow Frog was setting up a single pole marquee tent something like this
http://www.medievalfantasiesco.com/M...ee9ftFly01.jpg
and didn't have the standard 14" long Niagara stakes most of us use. As he was standing inside getting his bedding together, a wind came by and lifted it off to about 40' in the air like a giant umbrella. It floated majestically out over the wall of the fort and about 100 yards out into the lake headed for Canada. Here is this guy looking around himself at the walls and roof that are no longer there and the rest of us applauding the spectacle. We had to flag down a jet-ski to run out and drag the canvas back to shore as the Natives couldn't stop laughing at "Whitey" long enough to grab a canoe and run down to the lake. We rewarded the jet-ski owner with a heavy string of beads (which made the Natives re-think their response) and the tent owner with some longer/stronger tent stakes.

And the nickname "Mary Poppins" ------ which has stuck to this day.

I could mention canoe races in various fountains and ongoing wars with raccoons but another time.

On an unrelated note: Knoebels was closed yesterday due to flooding and is probably reopening today. They have been flooded a time or 37 times and know how to handle it.
Old 07-24-2018, 10:23 AM
I'm nice, dammit!
Charter Member

Lunch time!

The morning went pretty fast - here's hoping the afternoon does the same. But I don't have a lot of work left...