Old 01-15-2019, 10:59 AM
Charter Member
Charter Member

Spider-Man : Far From Home trailer released

U.S. trailer here, and international trailer.
Not what I expected, but still looks like fun.
Old 01-15-2019, 11:01 AM
Agnatheist
Charter Member

What were you expecting?

Looks pretty good to me. Is the other super hero in the trailer supposed to be Adam Warlock? I couldn't tell but only saw the trailer between meetings so haven't re-watched it.

That's what happens when you let rednecks play with anti-matter!
Old 01-15-2019, 11:05 AM
Charter Member
Charter Member

I was expecting some sort of aftermath to the Avengers Endgame movie.
I don't think that other guy is another hero.
Old 01-15-2019, 11:21 AM
Agnatheist
Charter Member

Yeah, I guess he's supposed to be Mysterio, though they have been pretty quiet about it. So, a new villain then I guess.

Not sure of the time line on this movie. I THOUGHT they said it was going to take place before Infinity War wrt time line, so it wouldn't have anything to do with Endgame, but I guess we will see. I'm pumped about another Spiderman movie...this one seems to be hitting all the right cylinders, unlike the Amazing Spiderman reboot which I didn't really care for.

Old 01-15-2019, 11:32 AM

I posted about the trailer in the Endgame speculation thread. I assumed that this takes place prior to Infinity War in the timeline, but I guess it might not.
Old 01-15-2019, 11:32 AM

Quote:
Originally Posted by XT View Post
Yeah, I guess he's supposed to be Mysterio, though they have been pretty quiet about it. So, a new villain then I guess.

Not sure of the time line on this movie. I THOUGHT they said it was going to take place before Infinity War wrt time line, so it wouldn't have anything to do with Endgame, but I guess we will see. I'm pumped about another Spiderman movie...this one seems to be hitting all the right cylinders, unlike the Amazing Spiderman reboot which I didn't really care for.
Did Mysterio ever have a face? Obviously he's a person under the costume, but I only ever remember him being a glass dome in a suit.
Old 01-15-2019, 11:36 AM
Sith Mod

Quote:
Originally Posted by Sir T-Cups View Post
Did Mysterio ever have a face? Obviously he's a person under the costume, but I only ever remember him being a glass dome in a suit.
He takes the mask off pretty regularly.
Old 01-15-2019, 11:42 AM
Agnatheist
Charter Member

Quote:
Originally Posted by Sir T-Cups View Post
Yeah, as Miller says he takes it off pretty often. IIRC, he's supposed to be a stuntman (ex-stuntman I guess) or something like that who has turned to crime. This might be a set up for the Sinister Six, a sort of league of villains opposed to Spiderman.

Old 01-15-2019, 11:51 AM
Sith Mod

Quote:
Originally Posted by XT View Post
Yeah, as Miller says he takes it off pretty often. IIRC, he's supposed to be a stuntman (ex-stuntman I guess) or something like that who has turned to crime.
He was a special effects guy. He uses his F/X talents to fake having superpowers.
Old 01-15-2019, 11:56 AM
Agnatheist
Charter Member

Quote:
Originally Posted by Miller View Post
He was a special effects guy. He uses his F/X talents to fake having superpowers.
Yeah, that sounds right. I was thinking stuntman, but special effects guy sounds more like the character as I remember him. He does use special effects and smoke and stuff to fake having super powers.

Old 01-15-2019, 11:58 AM

The Ringer points out that Peter's passport doesn't show the year for any of its dates, so maybe they're being deliberately unclear on the timeline.
Old 01-15-2019, 12:06 PM

Quote:
Originally Posted by borschevsky View Post
The Ringer points out that Peter's passport doesn't show the year for any of its dates, so maybe they're being deliberately unclear on the timeline.
It lists Peter's birthday as August 10th.

Spider-Man premiered in Amazing Fantasy #15, which was published on... August 10th.
Old 01-15-2019, 12:06 PM

Quote:
That does not look like Jake Gyllenhaal.
Old 01-15-2019, 12:27 PM

Quote:
I posted about the trailer in the Endgame speculation thread. I assumed that this takes place prior to Infinity War in the timeline, but I guess it might not.
Back in September Kevin Feige said it takes place after Endgame.
Old 01-15-2019, 12:56 PM

If you check 2:12 in the US trailer you see a shiny bubble around his head.
Old 01-15-2019, 01:44 PM
Domo Arigato Mister Moderato

Hey, I'm on board! Go Spidey Go.
Old 01-15-2019, 01:54 PM

Hey, Mysterio is casting hexes that look suspiciously similar to Dr. Strange's magic!
Old 01-15-2019, 04:26 PM

The trailers obviously won't show anything that happened in Endgame until Endgame is released.
Old 01-15-2019, 04:35 PM

But it already shows something that happened. Or, a few things, I guess, depending on how you look at it.
Old 01-15-2019, 04:43 PM

Quote:
But it already shows something that happened. Or, a few things, I guess, depending on how you look at it.
I mean, everyone know the dusted are coming back. It's not a secret. They don't know how or if any of the "undusted" will die, but Marvel has already announced Black Panther, Dr. Strange, and Guardians sequels.
Old 01-15-2019, 04:50 PM

Popular theory is we're getting a little bit of Syndrome/Thunderbolts thing.
Mysterio is pretending to be a hero and the Hydro-Man monster is just one of his illusions.
Old 01-15-2019, 06:06 PM

Quote:
Originally Posted by enalzi View Post
I mean, everyone know the dusted are coming back. It's not a secret. They don't know how or if any of the "undusted" will die, but Marvel has already announced Black Panther, Dr. Strange, and Guardians sequels.
Sure, I’m just surprised they’re showing this stuff before Endgame is out.
Old 01-15-2019, 06:22 PM

Not like you can really hide the fact that you are making superhero movies with your most lucrative characters that had ‘died’ previously.
Old 01-15-2019, 09:10 PM

True. I’m not sure what I was expecting; they’re obviously going to promote their movies. It just seems a bit odd since this puts some constraints on what will happen in Endgame, and not just the undusting. Anyway, no big deal. It looks good.
Old 01-16-2019, 01:59 AM

I really wish they first put out a 2 minute video of a pile of dust.

I'm guessing Mysterio is good then breaks bad at some point.
Old 01-16-2019, 03:12 AM

The whole Mysterio thing here seems a bit strange. As PushYouDown mentions, it only makes sense if the Elementals are either in cahoots with him or elaborate illusions made by him. Otherwise, why use Mysterio if you give him generic Flying and Blasting Powers?
Long Story short, that is actually my guess on how the movie will go - Mysterio and Spidey fight the Elementals together, only for Spidey to find out it was all a Shell game in order for Mysterio to steal some stuff.
Also, it still tugs my heartstrings that it's not Bruce Campbell as in one of the early ideas of Spiderman 3 or 4 by Raimi. You know, taking Bruces Cameos from the 3 movies before and combning them to "It was Mysterio all along!"
Old 01-16-2019, 04:56 AM
Charter Member

I was thinking the other day how Bruce Campbell would be a good J Jonah Jameson. I wonder if that crosses the Spidey streams a bit too much though.
Old 01-16-2019, 05:17 AM

Quote:
They may have reached the surprising conclusion that their audience isn't stupid.

It may also have something to do with the terms of their agreement with Sony, which after all, owns the character - and which couldn't care less about spoiling the Avengers. Maybe they are contractually obligated to release a trailer a certain amount of time before the film's release.
Old 01-16-2019, 09:10 AM

Quote:
I've rarely seen a worse case of Kirby Face...
Old 01-16-2019, 01:17 PM

There's no evidence of Infinity war because Endgame is almost certainly going to undo Infinity war from existence.

Let's hope this Spider-Man 2 is better than the last Spider-Man 2 and as least as good as the first Spider-Man 2.
Old 01-16-2019, 02:40 PM

Quote:
Originally Posted by Quimby View Post
Let's hope this Spider-Man 2 is better than the last Spider-Man 2 and as least as good as the first Spider-Man 2.
It certainly looks a lot better than this Spider-Man 2 from last year, at least.

Also, how in the actual hell can someone just make a Spider-Man movie? Did I somehow miss that they abolished copyright laws in the UK?

Last edited by Telperion; 01-16-2019 at 02:43 PM.
Old 01-16-2019, 02:53 PM

I think that's an em-dash. Totally different character.
Old 01-16-2019, 03:01 PM

Quote:
Originally Posted by Telperion View Post
Also, how in the actual hell can someone just make a Spider-Man movie? Did I somehow miss that they abolished copyright laws in the UK?
That is a fan-made film (which somehow qualifies for listing on IMDb.com). Anybody can make movie, play, et cetera, dressed up as their favorite hero or villain which ostensibly falls under the "fair use" doctrine (at least under US IP law) as long as it isn't distributed for profit or interferes with the property owner; e.g. the same basis under which fans make Star Trek and Star Wars movies and films (some of which are better made than the material coming out of the official studios). Marvel could, if they were so inclined, pursue a legal injunction against displaying or distributing the film under the theory that it damages their bottom line or detracts attention from their own properties, but there is little value in doing so, and frankly such efforts probably benefit Marvel by keeping interest in the property alive among fans.

Stranger
Old 01-16-2019, 03:18 PM

Quote:
It's pretty obviously they aren't going to dispense with Black Panther or Spider-Man after each of their first movies were so profitable (especially the former). In fact, while Endgame will have to have some kind of consequences, it will almost certainly be against one or more actors whose contracts are expiring anyway, and who have expressed the desire to stop having to weight train and eat all day to maintain muscle.

And while there is a lot of speculation about Tony Stark eating it, I'll point out that Peter Parker appears to have a brand new suit that is neither the one he wore in Civil War/Homecoming nor the "Iron Spider" suit of Infinity War, so either Tony was busy doing stealth upgrades even after the Iron Spider suit or someone is busy making advanced mods to his existing suit, and as good at Ned is as "the guy in the chair" I don't think we've seen him display expertise in textiles yet.

Also, Nick Fury is just kind of a dick. Let's Natasha think he was killed, lies to Steve Rogers, essentially kidnaps Bruce Banner and ensconces him on a helicarrier, tells no one about the whole "Phase 2" plan to collect and use Hydra weapons, fails to notice a decades-long conspiracy growing within SHIELD, et cetera. About the only person he's actually done right by is Barton, allowing him to keep his family off of SHIELD's radar so they weren't compromised by his gross ineptitude, and now he's back tranquilizing one minor child so he can encourage another to delinquency? I think Peter would be better off moving to Wakanda where at least they treat people with dignity, and plus Shuri could probably build him a much better suit overnight than anything Stark could put together.

Stranger
Old 01-16-2019, 03:56 PM

Quote:
Originally Posted by Telperion View Post
It certainly looks a lot better than this Spider-Man 2 from last year, at least.

I don't know, but clearly you haven't seen the glory of Turkish Spider-Man. He's evil, and Captain America and El Santo must team up to fight him.
Quote:
Originally Posted by Stranger On A Train View Post
Also, Nick Fury is just kind of a dick. Let's Natasha think he was killed, lies to Steve Rogers, essentially kidnaps Bruce Banner and ensconces him on a helicarrier, tells no one about the whole "Phase 2" plan to collect and use Hydra weapons, fails to notice a decades-long conspiracy growing within SHIELD, et cetera. About the only person he's actually done right by is Barton, allowing him to keep his family off of SHIELD's radar so they weren't compromised by his gross ineptitude, and now he's back tranquilizing one minor child so he can encourage another to delinquency? I think Peter would be better off moving to Wakanda where at least they treat people with dignity, and plus Shuri could probably build him a much better suit overnight than anything Stark could put together.
I rewatched some of the older ones recently, so now I've seen them all at least twice except for Ant-Man 2. He's a bigger dick than I remembered, constantly lying to them and getting caught.

Last edited by thelurkinghorror; 01-16-2019 at 03:57 PM.
Old 01-16-2019, 04:47 PM

I love that Aunt May appears to be genuinely supportive of him and a bit of a fan girl to boot.
Old 01-16-2019, 05:46 PM

Quote:
Originally Posted by Frazzled View Post
I love that Aunt May appears to be genuinely supportive of him and a bit of a fan girl to boot.
Yeah, thank god "keeping aunt May from finding out" is not going to be a plot point anymore.
Old 01-16-2019, 05:55 PM

Fish Bowl Head is back! They aren't doing the Electro thing. This is great.
Old 01-16-2019, 08:03 PM

Quote:
Originally Posted by thelurkinghorror View Post
I don't know, but clearly you haven't seen the glory of Turkish Spider-Man. He's evil, and Captain America and El Santo must team up to fight him.

I rewatched some of the older ones recently, so now I've seen them all at least twice except for Ant-Man 2. He's a bigger dick than I remembered, constantly lying to them and getting caught.
Yeah, but Fury's also the guy who gets them off the schneid in Avengers 2 and at the same time, manages to help save the day via the thentofore unknown about helicarrier. He just does what he thinks has to be done, even if it involves fudging the truth (see: bloody Captain America trading cards).
Old 01-17-2019, 06:11 AM

Quote:
II think Peter would be better off moving to Wakanda where at least they treat people with dignity, and plus Shuri could probably build him a much better suit overnight than anything Stark could put together.
OK, a Peter-Shuri ship wasn't even on my horizon, and now it's quite definitely docked in port...
Old 01-17-2019, 07:16 AM

Quote:
Originally Posted by MrDibble View Post
OK, a Peter-Shuri ship wasn't even on my horizon, and now it's quite definitely docked in port...
Seriously? I've been shipping the two of them since the moment she showed up. I mean, I don't know much about her preferences, but she's definitely his type.
Old 01-17-2019, 07:31 AM

Quote:
Originally Posted by Alessan View Post
Seriously? I've been shipping the two of them since the moment she showed up. I mean, I don't know much about her preferences, but she's definitely his type.
Agreed. A Shuri/Spider-Man crossover movie would be awesome on multiple levels.
Old 01-17-2019, 10:26 AM

Quote:
Originally Posted by DSYoungEsq View Post
Yeah, but Fury's also the guy who gets them off the schneid in Avengers 2 and at the same time, manages to help save the day via the thentofore unknown about helicarrier. He just does what he thinks has to be done, even if it involves fudging the truth (see: bloody Captain America trading cards).
He's not just a spy. He's THE spy.
Old 01-17-2019, 11:48 AM

Quote:
I think she’d view Parker with mildly amused contempt; she might share his jokey attitude but this is a woman who thought of a solution than Banner and Stark couldn’t figure out. But she could make him an awesome vibranium-laced Spider-suit; that combined with his natural strength would make him indomitable.

Quote:
Originally Posted by Jonathan Chance View Post
He's not just a spy. He's THE spy.
And like most spies, Fury is an asshole. In trying to outsmart and outclever everyone, he creates new problems.

Stranger
Old 01-17-2019, 01:10 PM

Quote:
I mean, I don't know much about her preferences, but she's definitely his type.
I don't see how Shuri is anything like MJ and Gwen, which 2 are the exemplars of Peter's 'type', with the occasional foray into action heroes/villains like Shadowcat, Black Cat and Silver Sable (and those last two are practically twins!).

Shuri seems much more of a Science Hero type than even Gwen, panther fists notwithstanding.
Old 01-17-2019, 03:11 PM

Quote:
I think she’d view Parker with mildly amused contempt; she might share his jokey attitude but this is a woman who thought of a solution than Banner and Stark couldn’t figure out. But she could make him an awesome vibranium-laced Spider-suit; that combined with his natural strength would make him indomitable.
Oh, Shuri respects people who aren't quite as smart as she is (which is everyone) - she respects her brother, after all, not to mention the Dora Milaje. I'm sure she can find place in her heart for a sweet, brave kid like Peter, even though he's just a regular genius, and not a super-genius like her.

Quote:
I don't see how Shuri is anything like MJ and Gwen, which 2 are the exemplars of Peter's 'type', with the occasional foray into action heroes/villains like Shadowcat, Black Cat and Silver Sable (and those last two are practically twins!).

Shuri seems much more of a Science Hero type than even Gwen, panther fists notwithstanding.
Who's Gwen?

The two girls we've seen this iteration of Peter Parker be attracted to are Liz in the previous movie and Michelle/MJ in the new one. Kid's got a thing for brainy black chicks, and Shuri, of course, is the God Empress of brainy black chicks.

Last edited by Alessan; 01-17-2019 at 03:12 PM.
Old 01-17-2019, 08:09 PM

The class goes to the UK and Spider-man just happens to follow them there? Like when they all went to Washington D.C. and Spider-man followed them? And Peter Parker was absent every time? Aren't these kids meant to be the smart ones? How have they not figured it out yet. It's hardly Clark Kent taking off his glassess, but still!

Looks interesting to me. I'm with the others who are saying that Mysterio will probably pretend to be a hero early on before revealing his true colours. And if they create a film Sinister Six, I guess we can assume it will include the Vulture, Mysterio, Scorpion, and Shocker (did the second Shocker survive Homecoming?). I wonder who the other two will be.

Anyone think we might get a flashback to Spider-man's origin in this one? Now that May know's he's Spider-man, I imagine there will have to be a moment where he confesses to her exactly what happened to Uncle Ben.

Minor point, I do like the trailer showing Flash being a fan of Spider-Man while still being a dick to Peter. The first trilogy completely ignored Flash's Spider-man fanboyism, and the Amazing Spider-man films sort of referenced it but only in passing.
Old 01-17-2019, 09:11 PM
Charter Member

Quote:
Originally Posted by HowSoonIsThen View Post
How have they not figured it out yet.
Maybe they will. MJ probably already has.
Old 01-18-2019, 12:18 AM

Quote:
The two girls we've seen this iteration of Peter Parker be attracted to are Liz in the previous movie and Michelle/MJ in the new one. Kid's got a thing for brainy black chicks, and Shuri, of course, is the God Empress of brainy black chicks.
Sorry, I only know the comics and the previous round of movies (and animated ones). It seems like the MCU version does indeed have the type you say.

Quote:
Who's Gwen?
Is that a joke?

Last edited by MrDibble; 01-18-2019 at 12:19 AM.
Old 01-18-2019, 01:57 AM

Quote:
Is that a joke?
Yes, obviously I know who Gwen Stacy is, it's just that she does't exists in this universe yet. I just think that what with the comics and three separate movie series, we have to apply some rigor in differentiating between realities.