Old 05-25-2019, 08:21 PM
Charter Member

There's no good solution to this situation. If readers can't be expected to know about switching themes, then likewise composers can't be expected to know about the bug in the theme. The proper solution would be to fix the theme, but the only people with the capability to do that are only tangentially associated with the board, and hence have no interest in doing so.
Old 05-25-2019, 08:31 PM

Good point.
Old 05-25-2019, 08:41 PM

The spoiler complaints confuse me. I routinely record Jeopardy!,(it comes on at 1pm locally) and sometimes don't watch it until the next day. As interested in this thread as I am, I wouldn't dream of reading further until I have seen the relevant episode. How difficult is it to notice the post date and time and decide to come back later?
Old 05-25-2019, 11:11 PM

I normally read threads on my phone on a browser without JavaScript enabled. It's enough of a hassle to switch over to a browser that the boxes work on that I almost never do it. So I appreciate when people quote spoilered posts.
Old 05-25-2019, 11:15 PM

Quote:
Originally Posted by Bayaker View Post
The spoiler complaints confuse me. I routinely record Jeopardy!,(it comes on at 1pm locally) and sometimes don't watch it until the next day. As interested in this thread as I am, I wouldn't dream of reading further until I have seen the relevant episode. How difficult is it to notice the post date and time and decide to come back later?
I agree in general, but in this instance knowing what the relevant episode is is the tricky part.

For example, for Game of Thrones threads, I would stop reading sometime before 9pm ET Sunday and wouldn't go back to the thread until I'd seen the episode.

For Jeopardy, which airs for me at 7pm ET, the following morning I would think it's still talking about last night's episode, but because of syndication, people are talking about tonight's episode which won't air for me for like 8 hours.
Old 05-25-2019, 11:35 PM

Right, cosigned.
Old 05-26-2019, 06:05 AM
Charter Member

Quote:
Originally Posted by pulykamell View Post
There's absolutely no reason to do so, as the Jeopardy! format is well established and enjoyed by almost all, but I just don't understand all the arguing about the buzzer stuff. If you want to do it like everyone else does it, just don't show the answer(question) to the contestants (feel free to show it to those at home), have Alex read it out, and whenever anyone wants to buzz in thinking they know the direction the answer/question is headed, have at it, and Alex stops reading the clue.
I was watching some old Art Fleming Jeopardys on Youtube last night, and they did let contestants buzz in at any time, even before the question (well, answer, since this is Jeopardy) was finished. That said, Art continued reading the question all the way to the end before calling on the contestant that buzzed in to answer.

So between the 70s seasons and the reboot in the 80s with Trebek, they must have made a conscious decision to go from "buzz in at any time you know the answer" to "buzz in only after the full question is read and the light goes on." I'm guessing maybe to prevent some contestants from just constantly buzzing in right away even if they don't know the answer, as you still get the whole answer read to you? I don't know.

What was also weird is that I found some late 70s version of Jeopardy where there wasn't even a final Jeopardy round. It was played elimination style, with 3 contestants for the first round, two for the second, and then winner would play a "get five answers in a row" on the board (like in Bingo or a 5x5 version of tic-tac-toe) bonus round.

Watching the old Jeopardy! I just realized how much I miss the old "Think" music (played during the Final Jeopardy! round.) And I was surprised to find that it was the same music (or perhaps pitched slightly differently, but otherwise the same) in the Art Fleming years as in '84-'96.
Old 05-26-2019, 07:38 AM

I DVR Jeopardy! and am often an episode or two behind. I prefer to not be spoiled regarding how Holzhauer had performed each day.

Because of this, if I am not caught up I simply avoid this thread.

Seems to me this is the easiest of fixes.

mmm
Old 05-26-2019, 07:54 AM
Charter Member

Wait, they changed the Think music?
Old 05-26-2019, 08:43 AM
Charter Member

Quote:
Originally Posted by Chronos View Post
Wait, they changed the Think music?
It's the same tune (well, there are a couple variations, where a note here and there is different), but there are at least five different versions. There's the original tick-tock clock one that is my favorite; there's a piano one that ran from c. 1997; another one with piano and trumpet also c. 1997; one in 2008 that I guess some people call the "leaky faucet" version, because the tick-tocking sounds like a drippy faucet; and another version from 2008 until now that is similar to the previous one, but not as "drippy faucet" sounding.

Here's a link. That also includes other versions of the Think theme from Jeopardy spinoffs I had never heard of.

Last edited by pulykamell; 05-26-2019 at 08:44 AM.
Old 05-26-2019, 09:04 AM

I read on Reddit that James potentially could win 62 games by the end of Season 35. (I'm assuming that's accurate)

The show hiatus will certainly create some drama as Season 36 approaches. The ratings will he incredible.

It's still a long, long way away. We saw a couple days ago that he can be beat by a determined player.

Ken Jennings also spanned two seasons during his win streak.

Last edited by aceplace57; 05-26-2019 at 09:09 AM.
Old 05-26-2019, 05:24 PM

Quote:
It's the same tune (well, there are a couple variations, where a note here and there is different), but there are at least five different versions. There's the original tick-tock clock one that is my favorite; there's a piano one that ran from c. 1997; another one with piano and trumpet also c. 1997; one in 2008 that I guess some people call the "leaky faucet" version, because the tick-tocking sounds like a drippy faucet; and another version from 2008 until now that is similar to the previous one, but not as "drippy faucet" sounding.

Here's a link. That also includes other versions of the Think theme from Jeopardy spinoffs I had never heard of.
Thanks--a trip down memory lane, for sure.

I gather the estate of Merv Griffin is still earning money on that theme, which like the show itself officially includes an exclamation point (Think!)
Old 05-26-2019, 07:55 PM
Charter Member

Quote:
Originally Posted by Sherrerd View Post
Thanks--a trip down memory lane, for sure.

I gather the estate of Merv Griffin is still earning money on that theme, which like the show itself officially includes an exclamation point (Think!)
Yeah, and if anyone is wondering what note changes I'm talking about: if you think of the melody as "LAH DEE DAH lahdee LAH DEE DA, " the "lahdee" part is a repetition of the same note in the original melody. In the original, every time that figure comes around, the "lahdee" is the same note. In the 1997 piano version, the first time that figure is played, it's the same note; the second time it's played it's two different notes (the second a half step up from the first, and the first is also a different note from the original melody.) Then when it changes chord, same thing happens: first time, same note; second time, upward melody line. Same with the other 1997 version. 2008 version, the initial "lahdee" is just a "LAH" (so no repeating notes), and the the second time the figure comes around, it's the ascending "lahdee" pattern.

I'm not sure why it bugs me and sticks out so much, other than I guess I'm used to the original, more percussive version.

Last edited by pulykamell; 05-26-2019 at 07:59 PM.
Old 05-26-2019, 10:10 PM

Quote:
Yeah, and if anyone is wondering what note changes I'm talking about: if you think of the melody as "LAH DEE DAH lahdee LAH DEE DA, ”

I think of it as more “LAH dee DAH dee LAH dee DAHHH”.
Old 05-26-2019, 10:13 PM
Charter Member

Quote:
Originally Posted by SlackerInc View Post
I think of it as more “LAH dee DAH dee LAH dee DAHHH”.
Well, then you're missing a syllable in the classic version.It should be "LAH dee DAH dahdah LAH de DAHHH." That "dahdah" is what I'm missing in some versions.
Old 05-27-2019, 01:37 AM

Quote:
Originally Posted by Mean Mr. Mustard View Post
I DVR Jeopardy! and am often an episode or two behind. I prefer to not be spoiled regarding how Holzhauer had performed each day.

Because of this, if I am not caught up I simply avoid this thread.

Seems to me this is the easiest of fixes.
As already explained, what if you are all caught up and come to the thread to find people discussing the next episode that you won't see aired for another 8 hours?

Unless you're in the market that airs Jeopardy at 10am, you can be all caught up and still get spoiled.
Old 05-27-2019, 01:52 AM
Charter Member

Not that anyone cares about my opinion, but just not checking the thread until you've seen jeopardy air in your market that day seems like the easiest solution. There are occasionally people who wander into TV show threads and say "I'm on the west coast, why are people talking about the show 2 hours before it airs for me without spoiler boxes?!?" and they're obviously laughed off. Now, it's trickier with jeopardy because there's not one air time, but if it's a big deal to you not to be spoiled, it seems reasonable to just wait until you've seen that day's episode to check the thread.

Also, as a practical matter, "James Holzhauer's streak finally ends!" is going to pop up on your phone or your TV or some other way before you see Jeopardy anyway. It's going to be really difficult to avoid having that spoiled.
Old 05-27-2019, 02:21 AM

That will really suck if that happens to me. I'm still bummed that in the first season of "Game of Thrones"

SPOILER:
I (watching on Blu-ray) somehow started the season finale before seeing the penultimate episode, and therefore didn't get to enjoy the shock of Ned's surprise beheading as it happened.
Old 05-27-2019, 10:13 PM
Charter Member

He did win today, with over $130, 000 dollars. It was win #28, and if he keeps winning at the same average rate per day, it will take him only four more days to beat Jennings total. And that will be without tournament earnings.
Old 05-27-2019, 10:23 PM

Did he purposely try not to beat his own record?
Old 05-27-2019, 11:22 PM
Charter Member

Quote:
Originally Posted by kaylasdad99 View Post
On an iPhone, with its teensy keys and my fat fingers, it takes significantly longer than two seconds to delete anything longer than a couple of words.
Quote:
Originally Posted by Spud View Post
Well, I expect you to change over to an Android.
I have experienced the same thing when I used an Android platform. It’s really not worth the trouble to me unless I’m on my desktop.
Old 05-27-2019, 11:29 PM
Charter Member

ETA: Oh, sorry, have we stopped talking about that? My apologies; carry on.
Old 05-28-2019, 11:00 AM

Quote:
Did he purposely try not to beat his own record?
If he had bet enough to beat his past record, it would have put him in danger of losing if he got it wrong. He bet almost as much as possible could while staying safe.
Old 05-28-2019, 11:02 AM

Quote:
Originally Posted by SenorBeef View Post
Not that anyone cares about my opinion, but just not checking the thread until you've seen jeopardy air in your market that day seems like the easiest solution. There are occasionally people who wander into TV show threads and say "I'm on the west coast, why are people talking about the show 2 hours before it airs for me without spoiler boxes?!?" and they're obviously laughed off. Now, it's trickier with jeopardy because there's not one air time, but if it's a big deal to you not to be spoiled, it seems reasonable to just wait until you've seen that day's episode to check the thread.
It's hard because given the wide range of times that the show airs, the doesn't give much room for discussion before the next one starts if you're in a late market.
Old 05-28-2019, 12:40 PM

Quote:
Originally Posted by enalzi View Post
If he had bet enough to beat his past record, it would have put him in danger of losing if he got it wrong. He bet almost as much as possible could while staying safe.
That's right. The most he could have bet safely was $58,821 which would have given him a total of $130,843. His record is $131,127. Strictly speaking, Alex wasn't wrong when he said that James had a chance at breaking the record but it would have been a dumb move on James's part to go for it.
Old 05-28-2019, 06:29 PM

On today's show,

SPOILER:
I really liked both opponents, but especially Sara. She's a pistol!

What was the first part of that James story with the oven mitts? I missed it.
Old 05-28-2019, 08:41 PM

Does anyone know what the earnings/appearances record for a female contestant is?
Old 05-28-2019, 08:58 PM
Charter Member

Quote:
On today's show,
Okay, I'm not going to spoiler this since it has literally nothing to do with the outcome of the game.

James tried to jump his wife's car battery, screwed up the connections, saw smoke, and ran inside to get oven mitts to disconnect the cables. By the time he came back, the cables had melted the paint on his wife's car.

He's actually really lucky one or both of the batteries didn't explode. Seriously folks, + goes to + and - goes to -*. How freaking hard is it?

*Or the car body, but on modern cars it can be a pain the ass to find an unpainted part that isn't inside the engine compartment where there are lots of moving parts.
Old 05-28-2019, 10:31 PM

Quote:
Originally Posted by jaycat View Post
Does anyone know what the earnings/appearances record for a female contestant is?
You can find a whole lot of information about past champions here.

According to the above link, a woman named Julia Collins won 20 games in 2014. That is the third-most all time, behind Jennings and James. She won $428,100, which is the fourth-highest total regular-season winnings.
Old 05-29-2019, 02:30 PM
Charter Member

I just read a cool fact. Prior to James, there have been only two confirmed regular play games where a player gave no incorrect answers. James has done it four out of the last ten games.

Last edited by hajario; 05-29-2019 at 02:31 PM.
Old 05-29-2019, 03:05 PM

The coolness of the fact depends largely on how many questions are buzzed. Shoot, I only got one wrong in my game, but I probably only buzzed on 30%. James must be answering 75% of the questions.
Old 05-29-2019, 03:14 PM
Charter Member

Quote:
Originally Posted by hajario View Post
I just read a cool fact. Prior to James, there have been only two confirmed regular play games where a player gave no incorrect answers. James has done it four out of the last ten games.
Is that the complete stat? As I mentioned before, the only episode if this streak I’ve seen was the one on 5/21, and there were no incorrect answers given by any of the contestants, including Final Jeopardy.

Here’s the stats. So is it not so much that James has done it, but that James and his fellow contestants have done it?

Last edited by pulykamell; 05-29-2019 at 03:17 PM.
Old 05-29-2019, 03:43 PM

Quote:
Originally Posted by Zakalwe View Post
James tried to jump his wife's car battery, screwed up the connections, saw smoke, and ran inside to get oven mitts to disconnect the cables. By the time he came back, the cables had melted the paint on his wife's car.

He's actually really lucky one or both of the batteries didn't explode. Seriously folks, + goes to + and - goes to -*. How freaking hard is it?
Apparently, pretty hard.

He may not be able to do a simple thing like that, but I suspect he could tell you the odds of doing it successfully, and how to bet.

Last edited by Just Asking Questions; 05-29-2019 at 03:43 PM.
Old 05-29-2019, 04:02 PM

Quote:
...Seriously folks, + goes to + and - goes to -*. How freaking hard is it?
Quote:
Originally Posted by Just Asking Questions View Post
Apparently, pretty hard.
A tangent, but most people's only experience with batteries is probably replacing the batteries in their remote. The positive goes to negative when they're in series like that, so it's understandable that it confuses some people.
Old 05-29-2019, 04:14 PM

I don't watch the show much but my Mom is a regular so when I last spoke to her about the winning streak, here's what transpired:

MOM: I've stopped watching because I'm tired of seeing him win all the time. He's so LUCKY!

ME: How's that?

MOM: The way he gets all the Daily Doubles.

ME: I heard that's a very explicit strategy he uses to boost his total. How is that "Lucky"?

MOM: Well, just the way he gets so many of the answers right. So lucky!

ME: If he gets so many of the answers right, doesn't mean that he knows a lot and maybe deserves to win?

MOM: Well, whatever. I've stopped watching for now.
Old 05-29-2019, 06:42 PM

According to my SO, Holzhauer has helped control my blood pressure. I no longer need to shout something like "You morons! It was the battle of Manzikert!" at the TV. The correct response is almost always given when James is in the game.

But he did miss a couple today.
Old 05-29-2019, 06:53 PM

Quote:
Originally Posted by Bayaker View Post
The correct response is almost always given when James is in the game.
Here's another really impressive stat posted on Reddit yesterday:

Quote:
0 incorrect responses has occurred in 4 of last 10 games. Prior to April 30, there were only 2 confirmed regular-play games in the entirety of J! Archive in which no contestants gave an incorrect response.
Old 05-29-2019, 07:10 PM

On today's show,

SPOILER:
what was the clue whose answer was "The Good Wife"? I love that show, but my daughter was talking to me and I missed the clue.

Quote:
Originally Posted by TroutMan View Post
A tangent, but most people's only experience with batteries is probably replacing the batteries in their remote. The positive goes to negative when they're in series like that, so it's understandable that it confuses some people.

Good point.
Old 05-30-2019, 10:50 AM

Quote:
On today's show,

SPOILER:
what was the clue whose answer was "The Good Wife"? I love that show, but my daughter was talking to me and I missed the clue.

Illinois governor Peter Florrick turned out to be not the ideal spouse for Alicia, trying to make her way as a lawyer on this drama
Old 05-30-2019, 11:13 AM

Quote:
Okay, I'm not going to spoiler this since it has literally nothing to do with the outcome of the game.

*Or the car body, but on modern cars it can be a pain the ass to find an unpainted part that isn't inside the engine compartment where there are lots of moving parts.
It's not a matter of how *hard* it is if you've never done it before. There's a procedure to do it properly, and if you've never learned it; then how would you know?
And it's more difficult than you just stated. The 'dead' car negative should be the last cable hooked up, and it's the one that should be grounded on the auto body somewhere.
Old 05-30-2019, 12:08 PM

Quote:
Originally Posted by MovieMogul View Post
I don't watch the show much but my Mom is a regular so when I last spoke to her about the winning streak, here's what transpired:

MOM: I've stopped watching because I'm tired of seeing him win all the time. He's so LUCKY!

ME: How's that?

MOM: The way he gets all the Daily Doubles.

ME: I heard that's a very explicit strategy he uses to boost his total. How is that "Lucky"?

MOM: Well, just the way he gets so many of the answers right. So lucky!

ME: If he gets so many of the answers right, doesn't mean that he knows a lot and maybe deserves to win?

MOM: Well, whatever. I've stopped watching for now.
It's not fair, he's got a cheat sheet...in his brain.
Old 05-30-2019, 06:41 PM

Quote:
Originally Posted by enalzi View Post
Illinois governor Peter Florrick turned out to be not the ideal spouse for Alicia, trying to make her way as a lawyer on this drama

Thank you! Here's another one, from today (sorry):

SPOILER:
What was so amazing about the middle contestant's story that led James to ask to be skipped because "I can't follow that"?
Old 05-30-2019, 11:03 PM
Charter Member

Quote:
Thank you! Here's another one, from today (sorry):

SPOILER:
What was so amazing about the middle contestant's story that led James to ask to be skipped because "I can't follow that"?
Here's what I remember; I'll spoiler it just for fun.

SPOILER:
She had participated in a synchronized roller club that put on a play about princes. Her prince was "Prince" and Alex mimed a few moves. James comment is as you list it. He might be running out of interesting anecdotes after 30 days; I know I would.
Old 05-30-2019, 11:16 PM
Charter Member

Her story also seemed to go a little longer than usual, so I'm guessing Alex and the production staff were probably okay with that.
Old 05-31-2019, 11:43 AM
I'm nice, dammit!
Charter Member

There was a super bad storm cell in our area last night, and channel 7, home of Jeopardy, spent 40 minutes, including the entirety of the Jeopardy 7:30 time slot, telling people where there might be tornadoes and hail. At the end of the coverage, they kindly informed us that Jeopardy would be shown later - at 1:36AM. We opted to skip that episode.
Old 05-31-2019, 02:18 PM

On todays show. Would What is pacifism? been right on the daily double question?

The winning answer was what is non-violence?

I would have said pacifism, same thing?

A guiding principle of Mahavira, considered a founder of Jainism, was Ahimsa, this principle also advocated by Ghandi (James 
Old 05-31-2019, 06:26 PM

Quote:
Originally Posted by Enright3 View Post
It's not a matter of how *hard* it is if you've never done it before. There's a procedure to do it properly, and if you've never learned it; then how would you know?
And it's more difficult than you just stated. The 'dead' car negative should be the last cable hooked up, and it's the one that should be grounded on the auto body somewhere.
I was always taught that the order of hookup doesn't matter ... BUT ... After you have done three of the four hookups. just "tap" the 4th hookup. If there is a huge spark, the other connection on that car is WRONG. If there is a small or no spark, then proceed with hooking the 4th terminal.
Old 05-31-2019, 10:39 PM
Charter Member

Quote:
Originally Posted by aceplace57 View Post
On todays show. Would What is pacifism? been right on the daily double question?

The winning answer was what is non-violence?

I would have said pacifism, same thing?

A guiding principle of Mahavira, considered a founder of Jainism, was Ahimsa, this principle also advocated by Ghandi (James
My answer was "peaceful resistance" - is that the same thing?
Old 05-31-2019, 11:07 PM
SDSAB

Quote:
Originally Posted by aceplace57 View Post
...A guiding principle of Mahavira, considered a founder of Jainism, was Ahimsa, this principle also advocated by Ghandi (James
As opposed to Gandhi (Mohandas?
Old 05-31-2019, 11:36 PM

He answered incorrectly 3 times today. He’s slipping.