Old 06-14-2018, 11:05 AM

Thread Games: Have the kind "questions" within threads, and responses, become more personal?

It seems to me that the intermittent topics within some Thread Game OPs as well as the rai∑son d'Í∑tre of one entire OP have become a place where posters are asked and answered more or less truthfully (if the spirit of the players is in tune with the game) regarding the in-real-life facts and opinions behind the usernames.

I'm thinking (Feb 2018) of many intra-OPs (occasional group questions) in the last year or so [??] of Baker's Dozen and, in particular, the brand new Have You Ever...?, which is only like that in premise, and is an even better example of what I suspect is something new as a way of interaction in the forum.

FTR, I participate as intra-thread participant often and I think it a very endearing and pleasant aspect of getting to know some of the people in SD who view it as a community of real people who don't fight.

Last edited by Leo Bloom; 06-14-2018 at 11:08 AM.
Old 06-14-2018, 11:18 AM

ETA: Screw-up in OP fix:
Quote:
Originally Posted by Leo Bloom View Post

I'm thinking (Feb 2018) of many intra-OPs (occasional group questions) in the last year or so [??] of Baker's Dozen and, in particular, the brand new (Feb 2018) Have You Ever...?, which is only like that in premise, and is an even better example of what I suspect is something new as a way of interaction in the forum.... [strikethrough for delete and underline for inset added]
Old 06-14-2018, 12:50 PM

I'm not clear what you're asking (and I'm probably not your target audience, anyway, since I haven't been around the boards much in about eight years).

Are you asking if questions and answers in thread games are revealing more personal information than they used to? Are you concerned, intrigued, or delighted by this change?
Old 06-14-2018, 05:05 PM
Nope! I said stop!

My apologies, but I’m really not sure what you’re asking. Can you rephrase into just a couple of sentences?

I participate in or read thread games, so I might have an opinion.
Old 06-14-2018, 05:16 PM

I have learned a thing or 2 about folks playing the thread games. I like to pretend they are true. I want to believe. Take it as you will, I am kinda gullible, though.
Old 06-14-2018, 07:00 PM
Charter Member

The owl hoots at dawn.

I repeat: The owl hoots at dawn.
Old 06-14-2018, 07:35 PM

Quote:
Originally Posted by Larry Borgia View Post
The owl hoots at dawn.

I repeat: The owl hoots at dawn.
The train has left the airport. Meet me at location X.
Old 06-14-2018, 08:00 PM
Charter Member

Quote:
Originally Posted by IvoryTowerDenizen View Post
My apologies, but Iím really not sure what youíre asking. Can you rephrase into just a couple of sentences?

I participate in or read thread games, so I might have an opinion.
I'm with you. That OP is completely incoherent.
Old 06-14-2018, 09:36 PM

n/m

Last edited by Drunky Smurf; 06-14-2018 at 09:37 PM.
Old 06-15-2018, 12:26 AM

Quote:
Originally Posted by Drunky Smurf View Post
n/m
Ooh, my turn. l/k
Old 06-15-2018, 12:34 AM
Charter Member
Charter Member

Quote:
Originally Posted by Penfeather View Post
Ooh, my turn. l/k
This is easy: j/h....damn it!
Old 06-15-2018, 12:50 AM

Quote:
Originally Posted by hajario View Post
I'm with you. That OP is completely incoherent.
in both senses of the word OP
Old 06-15-2018, 01:37 AM

Quote:
Originally Posted by Czarcasm View Post
This is easy: j/h....damn it!
You're out!
Old 06-15-2018, 02:06 AM

Ahh Leo, you never disappoint. Master of the Inscrutable.
Old 06-15-2018, 02:13 AM

Why is it that I completely understood the OP? Hmmmm?
Old 06-15-2018, 03:53 AM

Quote:
Originally Posted by Beckdawrek View Post
Why is it that I completely understood the OP? Hmmmm?
What did you understand it to say?
Old 06-15-2018, 06:03 AM

Quote:
Originally Posted by Ponder Stibbons View Post
The train has left the airport...
Ici Londres. Blessent mon cúur d'une langueur monotone.
Old 06-15-2018, 06:45 AM

Lorem ipsum dolor sit amet, consectetur adipiscing...
Old 06-15-2018, 07:13 AM

Quote:
It seems to me that the intermittent topics within some Thread Game OPs as well as the rai∑son d'Í∑tre of one entire OP have become a place where posters are asked and answered more or less truthfully (if the spirit of the players is in tune with the game) regarding the in-real-life facts and opinions behind the usernames.
I guess it depends on the reasons why any given poster is here. Some of these people are veterans of many years and, during those years, have met a number of other members IRL and have forged "real" relationships/friendships. So, for them, prudence may play as big a part in how they answer questions and opine in general as it would if they were in the work place.

Others, like myself, who have no IRL connections with any of the other posters, may actually find it easier to express what they really think and feel because we don't have to interact with them at work or in family, so politics and prudence play no part as deterrents to an honest response.

As the old saying goes, "Sometimes, it's easier to talk to a stranger than a friend."

Last edited by Jasmine; 06-15-2018 at 07:14 AM.
Old 06-15-2018, 08:11 AM

Quote:
Originally Posted by septimus View Post
Tish, you spoke French!
Old 06-15-2018, 12:20 PM

We talk often here about the way people interact on the board. I'm wondering if any of the old timers here have seen a change within Thread Games in particular.
Old 06-15-2018, 12:23 PM
Experimental FOC Test Pilot

Quote:
We talk often here about the way people interact on the board. I'm wondering if any of the old timers here have seen a change within Thread Games in particular.

Someone has hijacked Leo Bloom's account.
That was a completely coherent post.

Last edited by steatopygia; 06-15-2018 at 12:25 PM.
Old 06-15-2018, 12:31 PM

Tell me which sentences you don't understand. Start with the subject line, which, yes, misses the word "of" before "questions." Yes, the word "about"--doesn't match "regarding"--but it was a lapse because "asked" and "answered" really should be handled differently, but the whole "asked-and-answered" is considered (roughly here) as one set, and I would not let that slide in formal composition.

The first poster asked this, which allowed the usual slow readers to pile on and have fun:

"Are you asking if questions and answers in thread games are revealing more personal information than they used to?..."

Asked: See the large type sentence with the question mark. It announce the query, and the rest of the OP. Even if there is not a single query mark in the rest of the post. I'm sorry if the missing "of" tripped you up.

"Are you concerned, intrigued, or delighted by this change?"

Answered: Did you read or understand the last sentence of OP?
Old 06-15-2018, 01:22 PM
Nope! I said stop!

Quote:
How would you describe how Thread games were?

How would you describe how Thread games are now?

Are you asking ďThread games were less personal before and do they now seem more about individual posterís personal opinions?Ē
Old 06-15-2018, 03:27 PM

Quote:
How would you describe how Thread games were?...

How would you describe how Thread games are now?...

Are you asking “Thread games were less personal before and do they now seem more about individual poster’s personal opinions?”
Less personal. As to game proposals within OPs, and in entire OPs newly posted, as it seems to me, where the thread has sub-topics only about answering something with a personal response, ordinarily not related to topics where the temperature of the interplay (ie, "fighty" topics). Even though to some people preferring ale over stout, eg, can be as fighty as topics of the 2017 election.

See above and reverse. Also see OP subject header, for starts.

Asked and answered.

Last edited by Leo Bloom; 06-15-2018 at 03:31 PM.
Old 06-15-2018, 03:29 PM

Quote:
Tell me which sentences you don't understand. Start with the subject line, which, yes, misses the word "of" before "questions." Yes, the word "about"--doesn't match "regarding"--but it was a lapse because "asked" and "answered" really should be handled differently, but the whole "asked-and-answered" is considered (roughly here) as one set, and I would not let that slide in formal composition.

The first poster asked this, which allowed the usual slow readers to pile on and have fun:

"Are you asking if questions and answers in thread games are revealing more personal information than they used to?..."

Asked: See the large type sentence with the question mark. It announce the query, and the rest of the OP. Even if there is not a single query mark in the rest of the post. I'm sorry if the missing "of" tripped you up.

"Are you concerned, intrigued, or delighted by this change?"

Answered: Did you read or understand the last sentence of OP?
Leo, what you call a "pile-on" some might call a "consensus" - that your writing is hard to understand. This is an issue you are certainly familiar with. Rather than an extended explanation of why everyone should be able to discern your meaning, perhaps you should consider why, in fact, they cannot?

In a spirit of constructive (albeit blunt) criticism, take your first paragraph as an example:

Quote:
It seems to me that the intermittent topics within some Thread Game OPs as well as the rai∑son d'Í∑tre of one entire OP have become....
What is the point of the bolded text? Why modify the simple concept of a "topic" when you want to includes both intermittent sections and entire threads? I've noticed that you often add pointless comprehensive modifiers like this - why say "tiny, small, medium, large and enormous dogs" rather than just "dogs"?

Then:

Quote:
...have become a place where posters are asked and answered more or less truthfully (if the spirit of the players is in tune with the game) regarding the in-real-life facts and opinions behind the usernames.
Again, everything in bold is verbose and superfluous. What does it add to your intended meaning? It serves only to make the sentence confusing.

If I understand your intended meaning, the entire first paragraph could have been written thus:

Quote:
Originally Posted by Riemann's edit
Recently, it seems to me that the topics of Thread Games often concern in-real-life facts behind the usernames.
I get the impression that you think writing these long convoluted sentences with endless modifiers and clauses-within-clauses has some aesthetic merit. It does not.

Last edited by Riemann; 06-15-2018 at 03:29 PM.
Old 06-15-2018, 03:31 PM
Nope! I said stop!

Quote:
Less personal. As to game proposals within OPs, and lacking in entire OPs where the topic is answering something with a personal response, ordinarily not related to topics where the temperature of the interplay (ie, "fighty" topics). Even though to some people preferring ale over stout, eg, can be as fighty as topics of the 2017 election.

See above and reverse.

Asked and answered.

Sorry-I know you’re sensitive to this, but I don’t get it. The “temperature of the interplay”?, “As to game proposals within OPs, and lacking in entire OPs” completely lost me.

I’ll step away now. I just wish you’d write without without so many dependent clauses and metaphorical phrases, since not everyone shares the meaning of the metaphors you’re using, and the dependent clauses make it very hard to keep track of the point.

Last edited by IvoryTowerDenizen; 06-15-2018 at 03:32 PM.
Old 06-15-2018, 04:27 PM

OK. Most other forums in SD, like IMHO, Elections, and BBQ forums--obviously-- and occasionally GQ, will have threads or sections within threads where a mod will say "let's cool it down here," and we also understand, I think, in English, "don't get so het up about that" "heated conversations" "hot around the collar." No one in the Thread Games and threads within it I mentioned .posts content like that.

The reading of "lacking" was--interestingly--an autocorrect error that appeared in the now vanquished (be me) text which I thought was the one everyone read.

But if that threw you, and "everybody" doesn't get the meaning of it, I'm sorry.

Last edited by Leo Bloom; 06-15-2018 at 04:29 PM.
Old 06-15-2018, 04:30 PM

Quote:
Originally Posted by Riemann View Post

I get the impression that you think writing these long convoluted sentences with endless modifiers and clauses-within-clauses has some aesthetic merit. It does not.
I do not.
Old 06-15-2018, 04:36 PM

Quote:

I get the impression that you think writing these long convoluted sentences with endless modifiers and clauses-within-clauses has some aesthetic merit...
I do not. It is clarifying for any people who might not know that when I write the word "topics" I distinguish between

1. the OPs where individual games within the thread, such as each part with Bakers Dozen where we are submitting 13 personal replies, are interspersed with other individual topics/games within the thread are not of a personal nature

2. New, I believe, OPs where every "game/topic" is by definition of OP one in which the posts is personal.

I did this so some caviller/asshole might say I wasn't clear on what I meant.

Would have preferred I write all that out?
Old 06-15-2018, 04:37 PM

Quote:
L...
In a spirit of constructive (albeit blunt) criticism, take your first paragraph as an example:

It seems to me that the intermittent topics within some Thread Game OPs as well as the rai∑son d'Í∑tre of one entire OP have become....
What is the point of the bolded text? Why modify the simple concept of a "topic" when you want to includes both intermittent sections and entire threads? I've noticed that you often add pointless comprehensive modifiers like this - why say "tiny, small, medium, large and enormous dogs" rather than just "dogs"?
Quote:

I get the impression that you think writing these long convoluted sentences with endless modifiers and clauses-within-clauses has some aesthetic merit...
I do not. Eg, in the question put to me at the top of this post, it is clarifying for any people who might not know that when I write the word "topics" I distinguish between

1. the OPs where individual games within the thread, such as each part with Bakers Dozen where we are submitting 13 personal replies, are interspersed with other individual topics/games within the thread are not of a personal nature

2. New, I believe, OPs where every "game/topic" is by definition of OP one in which the posts is personal.

Last edited by Leo Bloom; 06-15-2018 at 04:42 PM.
Old 06-15-2018, 04:42 PM

[eta cx: sorry about the triple post, as I got lost in formatting. Last one's a keeper. ]
Old 06-15-2018, 04:51 PM

Quote:
I do not. Eg, in the question put to me at the top of this post, it is clarifying for any people who might not know that when I write the word "topics" I distinguish between

I swear to you, I was not being snarky; I genuinely wanted to understand what you were asking.

I think people don't [generally] get as heated about things in the game threads because there are seldom discussions about people's answers unless the game explicitly calls for it.
Old 06-15-2018, 05:00 PM

Quote:
Leo, what you call a "pile-on" some might call a "consensus" - that your writing is hard to understand. ...
The consensus is among the pilers-on, mostly the same people, people just like others who read do not pile on and get what I write without much complaint (allowing for typos in my posts above)in the very same thread. Those who enjoy posting comments such as, in other contexts,"what do expect from a radical leftist" and then leaves very satisfied with his wise contribution.

So, not everyone, and I am not paranoid. Some readers are in no mood to spend the time, or believe everyone in SD should write the way they prefer (or what they think everyone agrees is the right way, which is idiotic) or simply unused to or incapable of following dependent clauses [ the horror!] Those are the posters in pilers-on. They are thread shitters, basically, so the hell with them.

Last edited by Leo Bloom; 06-15-2018 at 05:01 PM.
Old 06-15-2018, 05:04 PM

Quote:
Originally Posted by SisterCoyote View Post
I swear to you, I was not being snarky; I genuinely wanted to understand what you were asking...
No need to "swear." It is relatively easy to recognize the foul odor of "a piler-on" as I describe above.
Old 06-15-2018, 05:05 PM
Nope! I said stop!

I’m not a pile-on person, I spend my days reading complex research, I do not believe there is one way to write, and my only motivation is to understand what you say to engage with you- because I am genuinely interested.

I found even your rephrasing (especially point 2) difficult to understand. Try reading it out loud and see if it’s as clear as you think (I tell my students that their ear is the best editor). It’s not a lack of effort or to be snarky. If you prefer, in the future I will just move on if I have trouble with your posts rather than ask for clarification.

Last edited by IvoryTowerDenizen; 06-15-2018 at 05:05 PM.
Old 06-15-2018, 05:52 PM

FWIW, Leo, I understood the OP at first pass.

Admittedly it is weirdly worded and constructed, but it's not exactly a Thomas Pynchon novel.

mmm
Old 06-15-2018, 07:42 PM

Quote:
Less personal. As to game proposals within OPs, and in entire OPs newly posted, as it seems to me, where the thread has sub-topics only about answering something with a personal response, ordinarily not related to topics where the temperature of the interplay (ie, "fighty" topics). Even though to some people preferring ale over stout, eg, can be as fighty as topics of the 2017 election.

See above and reverse. Also see OP subject header, for starts.

Asked and answered.

The habit of omitting subjects and/or verbs doesn't contributed to clarity. Each sentence (or fragment) in the above quote is missing an explicit subject or verb. The second "sentence" seems to be long prepositional phrase (containing sub-phrases and a clause?) modifying or augmenting the previous "less personal", but I'm not sure.

Phrasing like that can create an interesting style, but it's helpful to sprinkle complete sentences with a subject and verb here and there to keep the reader from guessing.
Old 06-16-2018, 03:27 AM

Quote:
The consensus is among the pilers-on, mostly the same people, people just like others who read do not pile on and get what I write without much complaint (allowing for typos in my posts above)in the very same thread. Those who enjoy posting comments such as, in other contexts,"what do expect from a radical leftist" and then leaves very satisfied with his wise contribution.

So, not everyone, and I am not paranoid. Some readers are in no mood to spend the time, or believe everyone in SD should write the way they prefer (or what they think everyone agrees is the right way, which is idiotic) or simply unused to or incapable of following dependent clauses [ the horror!] Those are the posters in pilers-on. They are thread shitters, basically, so the hell with them.
Why is it when you're being defensive you can write something as coherent, (incorrect but still coherent), as this, yet at all other times you somehow can't?

Last edited by Mr Shine; 06-16-2018 at 03:29 AM.
Old 06-16-2018, 08:19 AM

Quote:
....If you prefer, in the future I will just move on if I have trouble with your posts rather than ask for clarification.
Please don't. Asking for clarification is fine. In the above snark fest, I responded to your discrete and non-offensive post with "snark+" The was for you; the snark was to those who thought your post was part of their pile on.
Old 06-16-2018, 08:30 AM

I haven't noticed the changes Leo asks about.
Old 06-16-2018, 10:44 AM

Reading the first few posts, and I knew exactly what I wanted to quote, even looked it up because no one else would ever think of it...

Quote:
Originally Posted by septimus View Post
Damn you, Sir!!!

Leo, I had to write letters to foreign officials for 30 years, and keeping thoughts short, clear and organized was an absolute necessity when communicating clearly with them. Write like those who will be reading your posts have English as a second language and you'll find such issues as this substantially reduced.

IMHO. YMMV.
Old 06-16-2018, 01:38 PM

I've read Verlaine and have a passing awareness of The Greatest Generation.

Well, the first part of your two-topic post above as well as original ones to which you replied were pretty fucking unclear, elliptic, metaphoric, and un-understandable to I suspect most readers now and in the future who happen on this thread. Not good, right? Just like the first part of this one.

Last edited by Leo Bloom; 06-16-2018 at 01:43 PM.
Old 06-16-2018, 01:56 PM

Quote:
Originally Posted by Mr Shine View Post
Why is it when you're being defensive you can write something as coherent, (in ]correct but still coherent), as this, yet at all other times you somehow can't? [underline added]
I view this comment/pseudo compliment as beyond left-handed (armless?). And in this thread I don't consider myself "being defensive" but defending myself, as far as it goes for an ATMB hijack.

Perviously this same shit has been mod-stopped. Feel free to go to the Pit, where perhaps your way of thinking is better accommodated.

Last edited by Leo Bloom; 06-16-2018 at 02:00 PM.
Old 06-16-2018, 02:04 PM
Robot Mod in Beta Testing

Moderator Note

Let's focus on the topic of this thread, rather than on Leo's writing style, please.
Old 06-16-2018, 03:39 PM

NM. Just saw ECG's note.

Last edited by Fenris; 06-16-2018 at 03:40 PM.
Old 06-16-2018, 03:43 PM

Quote:
Originally Posted by engineer_comp_geek View Post
Moderator Note

Let's focus on the topic of this thread, rather than on Leo's writing style, please.
But that's just it -- how can anyone know what the topic IS, if we don't understand him? And he just gets so angry and defensive and accuses people of "piling on" when they tell him that, so what's the point? I think it's less that people understand his stuff as that a lot of us are just like, "forget it Jake, it's Leo Bloom Town".
Old 06-16-2018, 03:59 PM
SD Curator of Critters

Quote:
Originally Posted by Guinastasia View Post
But that's just it -- how can anyone know what the topic IS, if we don't understand him? And he just gets so angry and defensive and accuses people of "piling on" when they tell him that, so what's the point? I think it's less that people understand his stuff as that a lot of us are just like, "forget it Jake, it's Leo Bloom Town".
Moderator Note

If you don't understand the topic of the thread, then there is no reason for you to participate in it. There's a current thread in the Pit if you wish to discuss Leo's posting style.