Old 10-17-2018, 12:48 PM
Charter Member

Snerk? It was a full-blown belly laugh for me.
Old 10-17-2018, 01:39 PM
Charter Member

Quote:
Originally Posted by dtilque View Post
It's likely that gods that rise up from mortals don't survive the destruction of that world. Otherwise, after many sagans of worlds, there should be lots more than the few ascended gods that currently exist. If this is the case, then there has to be something that can be done with the current world, since the DO wouldn't be around to help make the next one.
Hah, vindicated!
Old 10-17-2018, 01:49 PM
Charter Member

There does seem to be the suggestion that at least some ascended gods do survive the Changing of Worlds. But the proportion must be awfully low, for the universe to not be overrun by ascended gods by now.
Old 10-17-2018, 02:04 PM

I haven't seen it explicitly stated, and I am be misunderstanding, but I am assuming from Thor's words that there has never been a new quiddity with any of those new gods before though, so it may be new territory for everybody.
Old 10-17-2018, 02:34 PM
Charter Member

Quote:
Originally Posted by wolfman View Post
I haven't seen it explicitly stated, and I am be misunderstanding, but I am assuming from Thor's words that there has never been a new quiddity with any of those new gods before though, so it may be new territory for everybody.
Thor pretty much says that in panel 2 of strip 1142. He doesn't explicitly say that all previous ascended gods acquired the quiddity of the pantheon that sponsored them, but it's strongly implied.

Last edited by dtilque; 10-17-2018 at 02:37 PM.
Old 10-17-2018, 03:20 PM
Charter Member

Just thought of something. It's about "Dedication", one of the 4 deific food groups. When someone dies, their god gets a Dedication from that event, but, if panel 8 is to be believed, only if the god is invoked at the point of death. Furthermore, he says Hel has "been filling up on empty Dedications...". So lots of people, having been reduced to 0 HP, say "Oh hell...", and that dedicates their death to Hel.

As Thrym says "it must be cool to have name that lends itself to so many good villain puns."
Old 10-17-2018, 03:28 PM
Charter Member

Quote:
Originally Posted by dtilque View Post
Just thought of something. It's about "Dedication", one of the 4 deific food groups. When someone dies, their god gets a Dedication from that event, but, if panel 8 is to be believed, only if the god is invoked at the point of death. Furthermore, he says Hel has "been filling up on empty Dedications...". So lots of people, having been reduced to 0 HP, say "Oh hell...", and that dedicates their death to Hel.

As Thrym says "it must be cool to have name that lends itself to so many good villain puns."

I am surprised then that there isn't a deity named Fuck.
Old 10-17-2018, 03:52 PM
Charter Member

Someone (it may have been in this thread) said that he had a D&D character who worshiped a deity named "Oh shit", because it made prayer in stressful situations automatic.
Old 10-17-2018, 05:45 PM

Quote:
Originally Posted by Left Hand of Dorkness View Post
"We used to have a pyramid diagram that explained this better...." took me a minute, but best line in the strip.

I liked that, too.
Old 10-17-2018, 11:15 PM

It's really interesting when Rich spends a comic answering a question that naturally arises off a plot point addressed earlier. After the last comic, the biggest issue I had was why it wouldn't be advantageous to all the Gods to just blow the planet up and start over. After all, they'd apparently done just that billions of times already. By starting over, all the Gods, or at least the pantheons, would have to get together and recreate a world to trap the Snarl.

But I guess I just had to wait one comic and it's spelled out why that wouldn't work.
Old 10-17-2018, 11:19 PM
Charter Member

Another mystery cleared up is why Hel isn't merely like umpteen other weak gods with few followers. It isn't a shortage of souls so much as an unbalanced diet.
Old 10-18-2018, 12:00 AM
Charter Member

Quote:
Originally Posted by Left Hand of Dorkness View Post
"We used to have a pyramid diagram that explained this better...." took me a minute, but best line in the strip.
I dont get it.
Old 10-18-2018, 01:48 AM
Charter Member

Quote:
Originally Posted by DrDeth View Post
I dont get it.
It's a joke about the food pyramid.
Old 10-18-2018, 02:56 AM

And the rest of it ("but I don't think we use that anymore") is about how it's now outdated.
Old 10-18-2018, 06:39 AM

I didn't get the pyramid comment either, so thanks for the explanation!
Old 10-18-2018, 08:27 AM

Just to bloviate about the food pyramid...

The initial food pyramid “makes sense” in that fruits & vegetables & grains make up the large base, while meat and dairy have smaller blocks. But meat ends up at the apex, looking like the superior food. This was a win for the meat industry, according to food conspiracy theory*.

Then they switched to a hideous striped pyramid, which kept pyramid shape and put no food above another. It nicely added exercise to the mix, but was otherwise pretty worthless at conveying relative food proportions.

I hadn’t seen the “food plate” until now. I guess it’s good that they replaced “meat” with “protein”, but I have to say I find it a bit lacking. Maybe I have to get used to it.

*while conspiracy theories are generally awful, there is no conspiracy which I would put past agribusiness!
Old 10-18-2018, 08:38 AM

So does that mean Plan B is a massive PR campaign to get people to start believing in the Dark One, and THEN destroy the world again?

Maybe Tarquin can be talked into setting up a state religion.
Old 10-18-2018, 09:12 AM

Well, the Azurites are never getting their city back now.
Old 10-18-2018, 09:59 AM
Charter Member

Quote:
Then they switched to a hideous striped pyramid, which kept pyramid shape and put no food above another. It nicely added exercise to the mix, but was otherwise pretty worthless at conveying relative food proportions.
What really made it bad was that they started weasling on it at that point. "This is the Food Pyramid, made up of mostly grains. Unless carbohydrates are actually bad for you, then use this one instead, that has almost no grains. Which of these two completely different diets is actually better for you? We have no clue-- why are you asking us? What do you think we are, the FDA?"
Old 10-18-2018, 12:54 PM
Charter Member

Quote:
Originally Posted by Blue Blistering Barnacle View Post
Just to bloviate about the food pyramid...

The initial food pyramid “makes sense” in that fruits & vegetables & grains make up the large base, while meat and dairy have smaller blocks. But meat ends up at the apex, looking like the superior food.
Except- meat is the superior food. More concentrated high quality protein, necessary EFAs, vitamins, etc. The problem is, Americans eat way too much meat, and highly processed meat also, which is bad. Ideally (and yes, I loves me a great big fatty Rib steak, medium rare, charcoal broiled, thankyouverymuch) you'd have 3-4 oz of nice red meat a day. And a lot of fruits, veggies and whole grains.
Old 10-18-2018, 05:04 PM
Charter Member

Quote:
Originally Posted by Chronos View Post
Someone (it may have been in this thread) said that he had a D&D character who worshiped a deity named "Oh shit", because it made prayer in stressful situations automatic.
The god of last minute regrets.
Old 10-18-2018, 06:19 PM

What we've learned makes me lean against the MitD being a deity. I'd guess that the other deities would have noticed his quiddity if Thor could sense The Dark One's. And MitD would have been getting none of the "nutrition" he needed for countless worlds now. Thor mentions that The Dark One might not survive between worlds without a store of energy and MitD wouldn't have been getting any for eons at this point. Even for a supposed greater deity, we see that Hel got screwed up in just one cycle.
Old 10-19-2018, 07:11 AM

Quote:
Originally Posted by DrDeth View Post
Except- meat is the superior food. More concentrated high quality protein, necessary EFAs, vitamins, etc. The problem is, Americans eat way too much meat, and highly processed meat also, which is bad. ...snipped...

I’m sure the beef lobby would agree and had something to say about “food pyramid” design.
Old 10-19-2018, 01:10 PM
Charter Member

Quote:
Originally Posted by Blue Blistering Barnacle View Post
I’m sure the beef lobby would agree and had something to say about “food pyramid” design.
Beef Lobby in the USA is a pale shadow of the corn, wheat, Soy etc lobbies.