Reply
 
Thread Tools Display Modes
  #5251  
Old 10-17-2018, 12:48 PM
DesertDog DesertDog is offline
Charter Member
 
Join Date: Oct 2002
Location: Mesa, Ariz.
Posts: 4,336
Snerk? It was a full-blown belly laugh for me.
  #5252  
Old 10-17-2018, 01:39 PM
dtilque dtilque is offline
Charter Member
 
Join Date: Jan 2000
Location: My own private Nogero
Posts: 6,191
Quote:
Originally Posted by dtilque View Post
It's likely that gods that rise up from mortals don't survive the destruction of that world. Otherwise, after many sagans of worlds, there should be lots more than the few ascended gods that currently exist. If this is the case, then there has to be something that can be done with the current world, since the DO wouldn't be around to help make the next one.
Hah, vindicated!
  #5253  
Old 10-17-2018, 01:49 PM
Chronos's Avatar
Chronos Chronos is online now
Charter Member
Moderator
 
Join Date: Jan 2000
Location: The Land of Cleves
Posts: 79,024
There does seem to be the suggestion that at least some ascended gods do survive the Changing of Worlds. But the proportion must be awfully low, for the universe to not be overrun by ascended gods by now.
  #5254  
Old 10-17-2018, 02:04 PM
wolfman wolfman is offline
Guest
 
Join Date: Mar 2000
Posts: 10,615
I haven't seen it explicitly stated, and I am be misunderstanding, but I am assuming from Thor's words that there has never been a new quiddity with any of those new gods before though, so it may be new territory for everybody.
  #5255  
Old 10-17-2018, 02:34 PM
dtilque dtilque is offline
Charter Member
 
Join Date: Jan 2000
Location: My own private Nogero
Posts: 6,191
Quote:
Originally Posted by wolfman View Post
I haven't seen it explicitly stated, and I am be misunderstanding, but I am assuming from Thor's words that there has never been a new quiddity with any of those new gods before though, so it may be new territory for everybody.
Thor pretty much says that in panel 2 of strip 1142. He doesn't explicitly say that all previous ascended gods acquired the quiddity of the pantheon that sponsored them, but it's strongly implied.

Last edited by dtilque; 10-17-2018 at 02:37 PM.
  #5256  
Old 10-17-2018, 03:20 PM
dtilque dtilque is offline
Charter Member
 
Join Date: Jan 2000
Location: My own private Nogero
Posts: 6,191
Just thought of something. It's about "Dedication", one of the 4 deific food groups. When someone dies, their god gets a Dedication from that event, but, if panel 8 is to be believed, only if the god is invoked at the point of death. Furthermore, he says Hel has "been filling up on empty Dedications...". So lots of people, having been reduced to 0 HP, say "Oh hell...", and that dedicates their death to Hel.

As Thrym says "it must be cool to have name that lends itself to so many good villain puns."
  #5257  
Old 10-17-2018, 03:28 PM
DrDeth DrDeth is offline
Charter Member
 
Join Date: Mar 2001
Location: San Jose
Posts: 37,306
Quote:
Originally Posted by dtilque View Post
Just thought of something. It's about "Dedication", one of the 4 deific food groups. When someone dies, their god gets a Dedication from that event, but, if panel 8 is to be believed, only if the god is invoked at the point of death. Furthermore, he says Hel has "been filling up on empty Dedications...". So lots of people, having been reduced to 0 HP, say "Oh hell...", and that dedicates their death to Hel.

As Thrym says "it must be cool to have name that lends itself to so many good villain puns."


I am surprised then that there isn't a deity named Fuck.
  #5258  
Old 10-17-2018, 03:52 PM
Chronos's Avatar
Chronos Chronos is online now
Charter Member
Moderator
 
Join Date: Jan 2000
Location: The Land of Cleves
Posts: 79,024
Someone (it may have been in this thread) said that he had a D&D character who worshiped a deity named "Oh shit", because it made prayer in stressful situations automatic.
  #5259  
Old 10-17-2018, 05:45 PM
Blue Blistering Barnacle Blue Blistering Barnacle is offline
Guest
 
Join Date: Dec 2011
Posts: 6,172
Quote:
Originally Posted by Left Hand of Dorkness View Post
"We used to have a pyramid diagram that explained this better...." took me a minute, but best line in the strip.


I liked that, too.
  #5260  
Old 10-17-2018, 11:15 PM
Enderw24 Enderw24 is offline
Member
 
Join Date: Sep 2000
Location: KC. MO -094 35.3 39 4.9
Posts: 10,590
It's really interesting when Rich spends a comic answering a question that naturally arises off a plot point addressed earlier. After the last comic, the biggest issue I had was why it wouldn't be advantageous to all the Gods to just blow the planet up and start over. After all, they'd apparently done just that billions of times already. By starting over, all the Gods, or at least the pantheons, would have to get together and recreate a world to trap the Snarl.

But I guess I just had to wait one comic and it's spelled out why that wouldn't work.
__________________
Puedo tenerz las hamburguesas conz queso?!?
  #5261  
Old 10-17-2018, 11:19 PM
Measure for Measure's Avatar
Measure for Measure Measure for Measure is offline
Charter Member
 
Join Date: Oct 2000
Location: Twitter: @MeasureMeasure
Posts: 13,803
Another mystery cleared up is why Hel isn't merely like umpteen other weak gods with few followers. It isn't a shortage of souls so much as an unbalanced diet.
  #5262  
Old 10-18-2018, 12:00 AM
DrDeth DrDeth is offline
Charter Member
 
Join Date: Mar 2001
Location: San Jose
Posts: 37,306
Quote:
Originally Posted by Left Hand of Dorkness View Post
"We used to have a pyramid diagram that explained this better...." took me a minute, but best line in the strip.
I dont get it.
  #5263  
Old 10-18-2018, 01:48 AM
dtilque dtilque is offline
Charter Member
 
Join Date: Jan 2000
Location: My own private Nogero
Posts: 6,191
Quote:
Originally Posted by DrDeth View Post
I dont get it.
It's a joke about the food pyramid.
  #5264  
Old 10-18-2018, 02:56 AM
MrDibble's Avatar
MrDibble MrDibble is offline
Guest
 
Join Date: Mar 2001
Location: Cape Town, South Africa &
Posts: 23,768
And the rest of it ("but I don't think we use that anymore") is about how it's now outdated.
  #5265  
Old 10-18-2018, 06:39 AM
vislor vislor is offline
Guest
 
Join Date: Jul 2009
Location: Iowa
Posts: 493
I didn't get the pyramid comment either, so thanks for the explanation!
  #5266  
Old 10-18-2018, 08:27 AM
Blue Blistering Barnacle Blue Blistering Barnacle is offline
Guest
 
Join Date: Dec 2011
Posts: 6,172
Just to bloviate about the food pyramid...

The initial food pyramid “makes sense” in that fruits & vegetables & grains make up the large base, while meat and dairy have smaller blocks. But meat ends up at the apex, looking like the superior food. This was a win for the meat industry, according to food conspiracy theory*.

Then they switched to a hideous striped pyramid, which kept pyramid shape and put no food above another. It nicely added exercise to the mix, but was otherwise pretty worthless at conveying relative food proportions.

I hadn’t seen the “food plate” until now. I guess it’s good that they replaced “meat” with “protein”, but I have to say I find it a bit lacking. Maybe I have to get used to it.

*while conspiracy theories are generally awful, there is no conspiracy which I would put past agribusiness!
  #5267  
Old 10-18-2018, 08:38 AM
ebb ebb is offline
Guest
 
Join Date: May 2002
Posts: 146
So does that mean Plan B is a massive PR campaign to get people to start believing in the Dark One, and THEN destroy the world again?

Maybe Tarquin can be talked into setting up a state religion.
  #5268  
Old 10-18-2018, 09:12 AM
Alessan's Avatar
Alessan Alessan is online now
Guest
 
Join Date: Jul 2000
Location: Tel Aviv
Posts: 23,406
Well, the Azurites are never getting their city back now.
  #5269  
Old 10-18-2018, 09:59 AM
Chronos's Avatar
Chronos Chronos is online now
Charter Member
Moderator
 
Join Date: Jan 2000
Location: The Land of Cleves
Posts: 79,024
Quote:
Then they switched to a hideous striped pyramid, which kept pyramid shape and put no food above another. It nicely added exercise to the mix, but was otherwise pretty worthless at conveying relative food proportions.
What really made it bad was that they started weasling on it at that point. "This is the Food Pyramid, made up of mostly grains. Unless carbohydrates are actually bad for you, then use this one instead, that has almost no grains. Which of these two completely different diets is actually better for you? We have no clue-- why are you asking us? What do you think we are, the FDA?"
  #5270  
Old 10-18-2018, 12:54 PM
DrDeth DrDeth is offline
Charter Member
 
Join Date: Mar 2001
Location: San Jose
Posts: 37,306
Quote:
Originally Posted by Blue Blistering Barnacle View Post
Just to bloviate about the food pyramid...

The initial food pyramid “makes sense” in that fruits & vegetables & grains make up the large base, while meat and dairy have smaller blocks. But meat ends up at the apex, looking like the superior food.
Except- meat is the superior food. More concentrated high quality protein, necessary EFAs, vitamins, etc. The problem is, Americans eat way too much meat, and highly processed meat also, which is bad. Ideally (and yes, I loves me a great big fatty Rib steak, medium rare, charcoal broiled, thankyouverymuch) you'd have 3-4 oz of nice red meat a day. And a lot of fruits, veggies and whole grains.
  #5271  
Old 10-18-2018, 05:04 PM
Yllaria Yllaria is online now
Charter Member
 
Join Date: Nov 2001
Location: Stockton
Posts: 10,383
Quote:
Originally Posted by Chronos View Post
Someone (it may have been in this thread) said that he had a D&D character who worshiped a deity named "Oh shit", because it made prayer in stressful situations automatic.
The god of last minute regrets.
  #5272  
Old 10-18-2018, 06:19 PM
Jophiel's Avatar
Jophiel Jophiel is online now
Guest
 
Join Date: Mar 1999
Location: Chicago suburbia
Posts: 18,392
What we've learned makes me lean against the MitD being a deity. I'd guess that the other deities would have noticed his quiddity if Thor could sense The Dark One's. And MitD would have been getting none of the "nutrition" he needed for countless worlds now. Thor mentions that The Dark One might not survive between worlds without a store of energy and MitD wouldn't have been getting any for eons at this point. Even for a supposed greater deity, we see that Hel got screwed up in just one cycle.
  #5273  
Old 10-19-2018, 07:11 AM
Blue Blistering Barnacle Blue Blistering Barnacle is offline
Guest
 
Join Date: Dec 2011
Posts: 6,172
Quote:
Originally Posted by DrDeth View Post
Except- meat is the superior food. More concentrated high quality protein, necessary EFAs, vitamins, etc. The problem is, Americans eat way too much meat, and highly processed meat also, which is bad. ...snipped...

I’m sure the beef lobby would agree and had something to say about “food pyramid” design.
  #5274  
Old 10-19-2018, 01:10 PM
DrDeth DrDeth is offline
Charter Member
 
Join Date: Mar 2001
Location: San Jose
Posts: 37,306
Quote:
Originally Posted by Blue Blistering Barnacle View Post
I’m sure the beef lobby would agree and had something to say about “food pyramid” design.
Beef Lobby in the USA is a pale shadow of the corn, wheat, Soy etc lobbies.
Reply

Bookmarks

Thread Tools
Display Modes

Posting Rules
You may not post new threads
You may not post replies
You may not post attachments
You may not edit your posts

BB code is On
Smilies are On
[IMG] code is Off
HTML code is Off

Forum Jump


All times are GMT -5. The time now is 09:29 AM.

Powered by vBulletin® Version 3.8.7
Copyright ©2000 - 2018, vBulletin Solutions, Inc.

Send questions for Cecil Adams to: cecil@straightdope.com

Send comments about this website to: webmaster@straightdope.com

Terms of Use / Privacy Policy

Advertise on the Straight Dope!
(Your direct line to thousands of the smartest, hippest people on the planet, plus a few total dipsticks.)

Copyright © 2018 STM Reader, LLC.

 
Copyright © 2017