Old 11-01-2018, 08:42 PM

SDMB Secret Santa Gift Exchange 2018

It's that time of year again! Secret Santa time. I've been singing Christmas songs under my breath since the first cool morning.

I'm making the sign up deadline earlier this year because we have had some problems with very late packages, plus it will give people a chance to take advantage of Black Friday.

Here's how it works:

1) PM me. Please put your username in the subject line. In the message, include your real name, your shipping address, and whether you are willing to ship internationally.

2) Post in this thread with some ideas for people - favorite things, colors, stuff you are allergic to, etc. You might want to mention whether you are ok with getting homemade food items.

3) Plan to spend $10 or so, not including postage. If you want to go over, feel free, but remember that it is not expected. Please pack carefully, include your name and username, and send promptly for delivery before Christmas if possible.

4) Post again to the thread when you have sent a package and when you have received one.

I will be keeping a running list of participants in this thread. If you have posted here and sent me a PM and your name somehow does not make it onto the list, let me know! Same with any other mistakes, like if I give you the same person as last year or send you your own address.

Please sign up by the end of Saturday, November 17 (the weekend before US Thanksgiving). I will get assignments out sometime the next day.
Old 11-01-2018, 09:13 PM
Charter Member

Email sent.

I like anything. If you have something marked with a dachshund I'd love it even more. Chocolate is always good, or a good sci-fi book you can tell me you liked. I also like to crochet, so stuff related to that is nice. Recipes for good drinks.

But basically I just love to get packages! You send it, I'll love it.
Old 11-01-2018, 10:01 PM

I"m with Baker. I just love prezzies.

I knew the holidays were upon us when the Hickory Farms popup store opened at the Mall. Bring on the Salad Shooter commercials!

I like hats, scarves, handkerchiefs, earrings (pierced), and cookbooks. Homemade food is fine as long as there's no cilantro in it. Mostly I just like prezzies...
Our government may at some time be in the hands of a bad man. When in the hands of a good man it is all well enough. But we ought to have our government so shaped that even when in the hands of a bad man we shall be safe. Frederick Douglass
Old 11-02-2018, 01:15 AM

Holy crap. Already?!?!?!
Old 11-02-2018, 01:27 AM

PM sent. No allergies. Love dark chocolate, animal protein of all kinds (jerky, cheese, etc.) and weird or offbeat stuff. I can play along with dark or twisted humor & am not easily offended. Local stuff is usually kind of neat, too.

Handmade is lovely if you're a DIY or craft person! Fave colors are the blue/purple/green areas, and silver or white metal please, I can't stand gold or brass.

Um, I love nature and animals if you get really stuck.

Hey, I've always wondered - how do you match people?

Do you write everyone on a slip of paper and pick them from a hat, old skool style? Deliberately connect people you think will get along? (Or deliberately connect people you think would hate each other in meatspace, in the Spirit Of The Season?)
Old 11-02-2018, 07:19 PM

[QUOTE=purplehorseshoe;21299663].

Hey, I've always wondered - how do you match people?

Do you write everyone on a slip of paper and pick them from a hat, old skool style? Deliberately connect people you think will get along? (Or deliberately connect people you think would hate each other in meatspace, in the Spirit Of The Season?)[/QUOTE

First I separate US residents from participants outside the US, then separate those who can ship internationally from those who can't. As much as possible, I try to have people who are sending something to another country also receive something from another country. Within the US, I try to match people from different regions so "local stuff"' is more likely to be different. I also try not to match people who have been matched before, or at least reverse the direction. Depending on how rushed I am, I may intentionally put people together based on interests or their request. I confuse myself a lot. I'm always afraid I'm going to accidentally assign two people to be each other's Santas (which wouldn't be terrible, really) or send someone their own name by accident.
Old 11-02-2018, 08:01 AM

I'm in. PM sent, but I goofed and didn't put my name in the subject line. Sorry!

I love local things - ornaments, especially. Show off your burg.
Handmade is wonderful - mittens, scarves. I love autumnal colors.
I love Sherlock Holmes (all iterations), Harry Potter, Marvel, anything feline. I cross stitch like mad, so anything in that realm is wonderful.

Sadly, no chocolate, unless it's milk free. Not a coffee/tea drinker, either.
Old 11-02-2018, 09:19 AM
I'm nice, dammit!
Charter Member

I'm in!

Not a fan of coffee, mugs, or ornaments (we don't put up a tree.)

Local stuff is fun! Chocolate is always good. Surprises are the best!
Old 11-02-2018, 03:06 PM

I'm in! PM sent. Local and/or homemade stuff, chocolate, coffee, kitchen gadgets, books, I'm pretty much game for almost anything really!
Old 11-14-2018, 01:08 PM

Quote:
Originally Posted by swampspruce View Post
I'm in! PM sent. Local and/or homemade stuff, chocolate, coffee, kitchen gadgets, books, I'm pretty much game for almost anything really!
Forgot to add XL in shirts, funky socks are always appreciated and I'm really looking forward to sending off some really cool stuff, especially since I have the 3-D printer now....
Old 12-08-2018, 02:07 PM
Charter Member

Okay, gifts are in the bag, tag is done, packaging now, and off to the post office!
Simster: Well, then, I am complimenting you like a mother....
Old 11-02-2018, 04:13 PM

PM just sent.

YES, PLEASE! Greeting cards, thank-you cards, gift tags, postcards, books, magazines, stickers, pins, magnets. Anything local to you is fun for me. Any chocolate, almost all baked goods (see below), any nuts, any coffee. Small jewelry, any metal/stone. I like pretty much any color this year - can't think of one I don't right now!

NO, THANK YOU! Cooked fruit, big or especially decorative jewelry.

Looking forward to another Exchange!
Old 11-02-2018, 05:32 PM

Sign me up again.

I like local, homemade items. I like books, cats, dark chocolate, cooking, tea, gardening and sportscar racing. Doesn't everybody? Ears are pierced. Lime green, purple, pink are great, but so are pretty much all other colors, except maybe greige. I just moved into a new home for me, a condo (downsized) and am in remodeling hell if that helps. Old stuff, new stuff, silly stuff. You know, we're a lot alike.

Silvorange is my hero for organizing this. I so look forward to the shopping, sending, and seeing if it's a hit.
Old 11-02-2018, 05:49 PM

PM sent. I like just about anything and am happy with chocolate (milk or white, no dark), caramels, Christmas ornament. If you want to make me something, that’s cool. No allergies.
Old 11-02-2018, 07:37 PM

Message sent. I love birds, orchids, stars, dinosaurs anything crafty or outdoorsy. Love chocolate and candy but I'm vegetarian (not vegan). Favourite colour is green.

Homemade things are great as is anything local.
Old 11-02-2018, 09:22 PM

P.S. I love cookies. And popcorn.
Old 11-04-2018, 12:11 AM

I skipped this last year, but Im in for 2018.

Lessee; like any civilized person, Im fond of chocolate (milk or dark; but if you want to send white, Mrs SMV will happily snarf it down). Im a runner, and Id be happy to rep your town or team* if you wanted to send a tank top or tee shirt in mens medium. Same goes for cool socks. Favorite colors are royal blue, hunter green, burgundy, rich purple - basically, any deeply saturated color.

Im a man, but I like girly soaps and lotions. Im also a magpie, so anything small and clever, like bits of glass or magnets, I like. Know that joke about people with ADD liking shiny things? Not completely inaccurate - shinys always catch my eye.

Basically, anything you send me, Ill enjoy. Like Baker and Thelma Lou, I just love getting presents.

*With a couple of exceptions: anything extolling the University of Florida, Georgia Tech, the Dallas Cowboys or the New York Yankees goes right to Goodwill. Im a Georgia fan, a Browns fan, a Braves and Indians fan, and I dunt keer who knows it!
Old 11-04-2018, 12:26 AM
Charter Member

Sent the PM.

I am not allergic to anything.

I have three cats and am essentially a crazy cat lady.

Slippers would be welcome...I wear US size 7.5 to 8.

Always needed: postage stamps.

Would be awesome: gift cards for restaurants and stores.

I like anything pink or purple, lots of colorful stuff.

I would prefer not to have homemade foods, but I do like healthy snacks of all kinds. I also have a real weakness for any kind of chocolate.

I have pierced ears; I love all kinds of jewelry.
Simster: Well, then, I am complimenting you like a mother....
Old 11-04-2018, 12:49 PM

Don't forget to tell us what you like Silvorange.
Old 11-06-2018, 11:12 AM

I would like to participate, and will send a message and post more details about myself in this thread. I don't have the time right now, but will soon.
I always enjoy these gift exchanges.
Old 11-06-2018, 02:58 PM

Woo hoo! Love the Straight Dope Secret Santa! Just sent the PM.

I like local stuff, homemade/handmade stuff, and dark chocolate. I wear a lot of brooches, so that is always a fun option. I particularly like vintage (40's/50's) but ain't too picky. Love earth tones and warm colors. Love art deco style. I collect Christmas ornaments. Really anything cool and unique is probably good. And if it's local to your area even better. Don't have any allergies.
Old 11-06-2018, 04:11 PM

PM sent!

I like fun socks, handmade/homemade anything, local stuff, small kitty figurines, funky jewelry (pierced ears), scarves, chocolate, dark-roast coffee, fun office geegaws, bold colors. I'm not allergic to anything.

The SDMB Secret Santa Exchange is one of the highlights of the holidays for me!

Last edited by freckafree; 11-06-2018 at 04:11 PM.
Old 11-07-2018, 09:47 PM

Love this! This is my third year doing this, and last year I got my wife involved too and we both had fun. She'll probably join in again.

I like this so much that I have a Facebook group for a bunch of us former Jehovah's Witnesses that can now celebrate this holiday and I just instituted the same thing there as a fun way for us all to celebrate. So thanks to Silvorange for the inspiration! Seriously. There will be some happy ex-JWs that may even be celebrating for the first time this year that will have a fun memory because this exists here on the Straight Dope.

Alright, now let's talk about me. I would prefer no food gifts as I have lactose issues and texture issues, so it's just not really easy for me. I like unique things. Gadgets are cool, I like sports, watches (a Rolex is small and cheap to ship, lol), and I like to get things from other places, things that might be reflective of your home town. Another interesting idea might be an ornament for our new tree as this is only our third Christmas and we're trying to fill the tree up with ornaments with a story behind them from our travels or friends (non-religious though please). Hopefully that's enough ideas to go on.
Old 11-07-2018, 10:57 PM

I'm in! Am allergic to chocolate and don't really engage with coffee or pro sports, but like lots of other things: sewing, knitting, crochet, embroidery, cooking, baking, reading, biking, hiking, gardening, movies.

Almost all of the suggestions made by previous posters sound good to me, along with potholders, kitchen gadgets, and just getting presents (and especially sending presents, I love making packages). Local stuff is cool and for some reason a really neat local shell or rock is especially cool.

Do we get to come back to this thread post-exchange and squee over our awesome loot?
Old 11-08-2018, 05:37 AM
Charter Member

Quote:
Originally Posted by Kimstu View Post
Do we get to come back to this thread post-exchange and squee over our awesome loot?
That's the best part!
Old 11-08-2018, 05:46 AM
Friend of Cecil
Charter Member

Surprise me!

Suggestions, if you need them:

- local souvenir, such as a refrigerator magnet
- food (vegetarian), such as chocolate. Homemade okay.
- Ornament
- Funky little doodads

Please no T-shirts or other clothing.
Old 11-08-2018, 06:29 AM

Oh go on...

What I'd like: Light stuff- postage to the UK gets scary at higher weights, and I always feel terrible when it's really expensive to ship. Previously I've said don't bother tracking as stuff tended to just vanish off the system as soon as it got over the pond, but it's apparently been working a bit better lately...

I'm vegetarian, otherwise unfussy.

Like purple and green and handmade things. I'm allergic to nickel.

I like gardening and animals (but please don't send a kitten, customs will object, they're also getting strict on plant imports now).

I've not been to the US or Canada, so local stuff is always exciting!
Old 11-08-2018, 08:33 AM

Can you believe it? The holiday shopping commercials started before Halloween!

Fun! Im in, PM sent.

I like tea decaf please. The tea bags that are the fancy 3-dimensional bags (as opposed to the flat, rectangular bags) are especially nice the tea bags that look like a small pyramid. But I might be getting a little nit-picky with the tea bag shape.

I like traveling to places with unique geographical features (the Channeled Scablands of Washington State, the Seven Sisters in East Sussex England, the Florida Keys, Mount St. Helens, Yosemite), so if you live near an interesting place, or youve been to one you really like, please share! My next vacation will be to Anchorage and Nome, Alaska, to see the Iditarod dog sled race next Feb/March.

Please, no homemade food items. I do enjoy good chocolate, and nuts. And I like and appreciate handwoven textiles and baskets.

Finally, my wife needs a new car. And Ill take world peace, clean water for everyone, everywhere, and good healthcare for all.

Yeah, thats about it.
Old 11-08-2018, 01:24 PM

I am in. Secret Santa rocks! It is when Dopers are more than words on a screen. I receive a gift that a Doper has touched and sent me. It is kind of like we have bonded.

As for my wish list: Food. Don't need things to dust. Any food is acceptable. Homemade or store bought. But, no fake sugar. No canned peas! Please include a seasonal card with your name. It can be homemade or recycled. Please don't spend $3 on a new card. I like to keep them to remind me of the person. Then when I see a post of someone that has sent me something, I think, yeah, I know that one!

Please ship USPS. When shipping UPS, or the others, they get inspected. If the inspectors are hungry, I won't receive the package. When USPS packages arrive here they go to Mexican mail. It is more reliable. Still no guarantee that I will receive it. So, don't send gold, silver or rare jewels.

Looking forward to your Secret Santa gift.

Y gracias!
Old 11-08-2018, 02:17 PM

I like postcards; why not Santa?

Im female, I have cats, no kids, and live a very non-dressy undignified sort of life. Jeans and sneaks to my office job. I like vibrant colors (my style can be classified as somewhere between shabby chic and border town shanty). Love little kitschy things and things that hold things. I have air plants that are always looking for homes. No allergies, but food is not the best option. Homemade or something from your area is always a keen thing.

I embroider and I hope I get Mean Mr. Mustard so I can make him a snot rag.
Old 11-08-2018, 02:24 PM

I'm so excited for Christmas #3! I love the gift exchange I did last year. Wrapping the presents I sent was just as much fun as unwrapping the ones I received!

I like arts and crafts of all kinds. Stationery, embroidery, quilling, painting, calendars, scrapbooking...
I enjoy decaffeinated tea
Any foods are cool - except mushrooms and whipped cream lol
I'm a gardener, and I love the outdoors
Animals I like are octopus, jellyfish, turtles, bats, dragonflies
The only thing that I could put on a NO list, is religious things, and I have a nickel metal allergy.

Feel free to be as weird and quirky as you want or go straight basic lol. All of this is just fun!
Old 11-08-2018, 04:31 PM

PM sent Bay Bay!

Not going to be too original in my requests: Anything local! Food is just fine as I have no allergies. I'm not a huge coffee/tea fan, but wouldn't turn down a local cup as Mrs. Cups drinks coffee every now and again.

Other Likes:

- I run and go to theme parks often...also Florida is hot...so anything that'd help there would work

- Sports! Football is best but I like all of them.... wwe wrestling too

- Ducks! I love ducks so anything with duckies on it is perfect too

- I love reading and do it very often. Murder mysteries are my favorites (got a serial killer in it? I love it) but if you like the book, by all means give it to me

- Shirt size is a M, pants are a 32 long and underwear is a 32 veeeerrrrrryyyyyyyy long

- If the above wasn't enough of an indication, if you have something funny and/or stupid I'm 100% behind that

Lookin forward to it!

Last edited by Sir T-Cups; 11-08-2018 at 04:32 PM.
Old 11-08-2018, 11:22 PM

Sorry I don't have a running list yet! It's been a busy week and my husband has taken over the computer at the moment. I'm so excited to see so many people joining in, including new faces!

One of my coworkers in my little three-person nursing office has started playing Christmas music, which delights me and annoys our other coworker. I have presents hidden in my closet. I keep forgetting about Thanksgiving.
Old 11-10-2018, 10:09 AM

This is dangerously low in MPSIMS, bumping.
Old 11-10-2018, 10:23 AM
Charter Member

I think I need to join this year. We don't really do Xmas presents in my household but give to charity, and hey, SDMB is kinda like charity, no?

I have cats, I knit, I love hockey and like baseball. Local things would be cool. I am old. Have one husband and no kids. I love getting packages and it would be fun to get something in the mail that I didn't pay for!
Old 11-10-2018, 01:28 PM

This is one of my favorite things ever! I'm excited to see new posters joining.

Local stuff is great. Local hand made earrings or bracelet. Locally spun/dyed/produced yarn would be fantastic. Local foods (no mushroomy stuff, please).

I'm a huge SF Giants fan; also SJ Sharks.
I love dogs (especially pit bull types, I have 2)
I love bats
I love to garden, veggies and flowers

But most of all, I just love the SDMB Secret Santa Gift Exchange. So anything will make me happy.
Old 11-11-2018, 03:51 PM

Bump.
Old 11-11-2018, 07:08 PM

Ok, finally! 28 so far with the deadline 6 days away. If I've missed you, let me know!

1. Slow Moving Vehicle
2. Baker
3 ThelmaLou
4. purplehorseshoe
5. MissTake
6. FairyChatMom
7. swampspruce
8. Nayna
9. carnut
10. peedin
11. FloatyGimpy
12. vivalostwages
13. rocking chair
14. slightly askew
15. freckafree
16. justanothermike
17. Kimstu
18. ioioio
19. Filbert
20. Bullitt
21. harmonicamoon
22. BeeGee
23. BludgeonMeSoftly
24. Sir T-Cups
25. kayT
26. Rhiannon8404
27. Sarabellum1976
28. Silvorange
Old 11-11-2018, 08:55 PM
Charter Member

Wow, that's a long list! Is it longer than it's been before, or is it average?

I am so looking forward to this! I have a few good ideas, but it will also depend on who I get.

If I get someone who likes knitting, crocheting or fiber art there's a wonderful shop I am close to that has all sorts of fantastic specialty yarns.

Last edited by Baker; 11-11-2018 at 08:57 PM.
Old 11-12-2018, 04:44 PM

Quote:
Originally Posted by Baker View Post
If I get someone who likes knitting, crocheting or fiber art there's a wonderful shop I am close to that has all sorts of fantastic specialty yarns.
Fingers crossed.
Old 11-12-2018, 10:35 PM
Charter Member

Quote:
Originally Posted by Baker View Post
Quote:
Originally Posted by Rhiannon8404 View Post
Fingers crossed.
Let me just throw my hat in that ring...

Last edited by kayT; 11-12-2018 at 10:35 PM.
Old 11-17-2018, 09:59 AM

Up to 30! The plan is to make assignments tomorrow, but I have run into a problem with the board. I copy/paste addresses, and for some reason, I can't copy anything from the SDMB, even from messages or within a post that I am typing.

29. Emily G
30. Das Glasperlenspiel

Quote:
Originally Posted by Silvorange View Post
Ok, finally! 28 so far with the deadline 6 days away. If I've missed you, let me know!

1. Slow Moving Vehicle
2. Baker
3 ThelmaLou
4. purplehorseshoe
5. MissTake
6. FairyChatMom
7. swampspruce
8. Nayna
9. carnut
10. peedin
11. FloatyGimpy
12. vivalostwages
13. rocking chair
14. slightly askew
15. freckafree
16. justanothermike
17. Kimstu
18. ioioio
19. Filbert
20. Bullitt
21. harmonicamoon
22. BeeGee
23. BludgeonMeSoftly
24. Sir T-Cups
25. kayT
26. Rhiannon8404
27. Sarabellum1976
28. Silvorange
Old 11-17-2018, 10:27 AM

Quote:
Up to 30! The plan is to make assignments tomorrow, but I have run into a problem with the board. I copy/paste addresses, and for some reason, I can't copy anything from the SDMB, even from messages or within a post that I am typing.

29. Emily G
30. Das Glasperlenspiel
There's this thing happening with the board (not sure if it's both skins) where you can drag your cursor over text to highlight/select it, but the highlighting doesn't show up. HOWEVER if you hit "copy" or "cut" you will see that, in fact, your text was selected and you can perform your operations. And you can paste the invisibly selected text. IOW the copy-cut-paste function is still there, except that you can't see the highlighting. At least that's the way it's been for me for the last few weeks. I'm not crazy about it, but I've kind of gotten used to it. Give it a whirl.
Our government may at some time be in the hands of a bad man. When in the hands of a good man it is all well enough. But we ought to have our government so shaped that even when in the hands of a bad man we shall be safe. Frederick Douglass

Last edited by ThelmaLou; 11-17-2018 at 10:27 AM.
Old 11-17-2018, 11:08 AM

Quote:
Originally Posted by ThelmaLou View Post
There's this thing happening with the board (not sure if it's both skins) where you can drag your cursor over text to highlight/select it, but the highlighting doesn't show up. HOWEVER if you hit "copy" or "cut" you will see that, in fact, your text was selected and you can perform your operations. And you can paste the invisibly selected text. IOW the copy-cut-paste function is still there, except that you can't see the highlighting. At least that's the way it's been for me for the last few weeks. I'm not crazy about it, but I've kind of gotten used to it. Give it a whirl.
That is so weird. It works, though! Thanks!
Old 11-17-2018, 11:39 AM

Quote:
Originally Posted by ThelmaLou View Post
Quote:
That is so weird. It works, though! Thanks!
I know. Totally weird. There might be something in ATMB about it.
Old 11-11-2018, 11:48 PM

Yes that is a long list. I’ve done this once or twice before, and this year’s list is longer than I’ve seen. Looking forward to this!
Old 11-11-2018, 11:59 PM

I think we all need an extra dose of kindness and warm fuzzies this year.

I'm getting excited!
Old 11-12-2018, 06:27 AM

I'm kinda tickled by how many people have been my Santa (or I'd been theirs) in the past. Reading the newest posts, I keep thinking, "Awwww I remember your gifts!" or, "Oh yeah, you're the one I made X for" and having a nice trip down Memory Lane of Christmas Past.
Old 11-12-2018, 02:42 PM

PM sent

I like music, cats, animals in general, miniature things, homemade things. (I like making things such as Christmas ornaments myself.) My favourite colour is blue, but I like things in any colour. I love milk chocolate without nuts, though sending food to me might be a little tricky as my tolerances towards various foods seems to be changing.

Oh, and I'm allergic to penicillin, so please don't send me any.
Old 11-12-2018, 03:46 PM

Yeah, another one!

Oh and I'm allergic to penicillin too, so same here, don't send any of that.