Old 01-23-2019, 05:27 PM

Quote:
Originally Posted by Sam Stone View Post
but it shows lots of ordinary black people wearing MAGA hats.
...my search showed one black person wearing a MAGA hat. ONE. And Kayne is anything but "ordinary."
Old 01-23-2019, 05:32 PM
Sith Mod

Quote:
All I was trying to do was to show a number of black people wearing MAGA hats, and that's exactly what the search shows. Of course it also shows some white people, and other things google thinks has some relevance to the query, but it shows lots of ordinary black people wearing MAGA hats. That's what was asked for, and what I provided.
When I clicked on your link, there was literally only one black person in a MAGA hat, and that was noted lunatic Kanye West. Every other picture was either a black person in a red BLM hat, or Jack Black in a parody MAGA hat. While I don't actually doubt your contention that Trump has some black supporters, it's sort of hilarious how completely your cite failed to demonstrate that.
Old 01-23-2019, 05:40 PM

Anne of Green Goebbels headlines LA event celebrating black people leaving the Democratic Party. Went about as well as you might expect.
https://crooksandliars.com/2019/01/b...rominent-black

(Cheerfully lefty site, tighty rightys are advised to liberal cooties protocols, and should proceed "Shields Up".)
Old 01-23-2019, 05:49 PM
Charter Member

Quote:
Originally Posted by Hamlet View Post
How nice that having someone drum in your general vicinity while you smirk at them, but don't beat the shit out of them, while your friends openly and racistly mock that person gets you a PR firm, praise from the President, and a circuit of talk shows. It also gets to mobilize the right wing who practically piss their pants in their rush to the internet to tell everyone how horrible it is to be a rich white kid in America. It's fun that this story gets the most play and the most SDMB right wingers involved, but real important stuff like the Mueller investigation, the shutdown, a President that suborns perjury, and the flight of any grownups from the White House barely gets a notice. Priorities indeed.
Occupy White House couldn't have found a better distraction for his Trumpeteers if he had planned it himself.
Old 01-23-2019, 05:53 PM

Quote:
How nice that having someone drum in your general vicinity while you smirk at them, but don't beat the shit out of them, while your friends openly and racistly mock that person gets you a PR firm, praise from the President, and a circuit of talk shows. It also gets to mobilize the right wing who practically piss their pants in their rush to the internet to tell everyone how horrible it is to be a rich white kid in America. It's fun that this story gets the most play and the most SDMB right wingers involved, but real important stuff like the Mueller investigation, the shutdown, a President that suborns perjury, and the flight of any grownups from the White House barely gets a notice. Priorities indeed.
What's the matter? Does it make you feel bad about yourself when people won't do what you tell them to do? Does it bother you when people think for themselves? How dare they? Don't they know that you have feelings, too?

fyi - This thread is about Covington Catholic High (in case it hasn't been mentioned already)
Old 01-23-2019, 05:57 PM

Quote:
Originally Posted by enipla View Post
I see facts. Not sure what you are looking at.

Do you want to MAGA? If so, what do you believe MAGA is?
Is that supposed to be your A-game?
Old 01-23-2019, 06:07 PM
Charter Member

Quote:
Originally Posted by doorhinge View Post
What's the matter? Does it make you feel bad about yourself when people won't do what you tell them to do? Does it bother you when people think for themselves? How dare they? Don't they know that you have feelings, too?

fyi - This thread is about Covington Catholic High (in case it hasn't been mentioned already)
Hearty congratulations on your promotion to moderator! (I assume some glitch in the vBulletin software is preventing the title from displaying properly.)
Old 01-23-2019, 06:12 PM

Quote:
Originally Posted by Vinyl Turnip View Post
Hearty congratulations on your promotion to moderator! (I assume some glitch in the vBulletin software is preventing the title from displaying properly.)
You ass-u-me a lot of shit that isn't true. I'm obviously the "me" part of that word. I guess that makes you an ass. Better luck next time.
Old 01-23-2019, 06:13 PM

Quote:
Is that supposed to be your A-game?
I just asked you a question is all. I'm genuinely curious if MAGA means anything to you. And if it does, what is it?
Old 01-23-2019, 06:16 PM

Quote:
You ass-u-me a lot of shit that isn't true. I'm obviously the "me" part of that word. I guess that makes you an ass. Better luck next time.
Woof...that was painful. My testicles retracted just reading that.
Old 01-23-2019, 06:26 PM
Charter Member

Quote:
it shows lots of ordinary black people wearing MAGA hats. That's what was asked for, and what I provided.
How many rows down do I have to go before I see 'lots' of ordinary black people wearing MAGA hats?

I can't argue with you about whether there are 'lots' of ordinary black people there wearing MAGA hats at that link, because Google Images will keep showing more images as long as I keep scrolling down. There's no way to disprove your contention, because there's always more rows.

So tell me, what's 'lots' of blacks wearing MAGA hats, and how many rows down do I have to go before I see that many?
Old 01-23-2019, 06:39 PM
BANNED

Rasmussen Poll: Trump at 36% approval among African Americans

Even if we cut that in half because itís Rasmussen thatís still about 7 million pro Trump black Americans. Letís assume 1% of them have MAGA hats. Thatís 70 thousand. Is that enough?
Old 01-23-2019, 06:45 PM

There is something strange going on with Google, then. Because when I click the same link, I can count seven black people in MAGA hats, one of which is Kanye, just in the first screen. I also see Jack Black, and a couple of pictures of the covington kid. That's on an ipad, before I even scroll.

For example, this is the image I see in the top left of the screen:

https://goo.gl/images/qzQJTR

If you aren't seeing that, then Google is lying when it says it doesn't manipulate search results for individual users. We should all be seeing the same thing. If you don't, try going to duck duck go and search for 'black people wearing Maga Hats'. I just did, and I get a screenful of nothing but...wait for it...black people wearing MAGA hats.
Old 01-23-2019, 06:48 PM

Pat Cipollone, Individual 1's White House attorney, is a graduate of Covington Catholic High School.

He is a former adviser to the president on the special counsel investigation into Russian interference in the 2016 elections.

https://www.cincinnati.com/story/new...ol/2650238002/
Old 01-23-2019, 06:49 PM
Charter Member

Quote:
Originally Posted by Miller View Post
When I clicked on your link, there was literally only one black person in a MAGA hat, and that was noted lunatic Kanye West. Every other picture was either a black person in a red BLM hat, or Jack Black in a parody MAGA hat. While I don't actually doubt your contention that Trump has some black supporters, it's sort of hilarious how completely your cite failed to demonstrate that.
Yep, that is also why a Google Vomit is such a shitty way to debate.
Old 01-23-2019, 06:54 PM

Quote:
Originally Posted by Elmore View Post

Even if we cut that in half because itís Rasmussen thatís still about 7 million pro Trump black Americans. Letís assume 1% of them have MAGA hats. Thatís 70 thousand. Is that enough?
Well, for Trump, at about ~$20 a hat, that's $1,400,000. It's a good start I suppose. You can pay off hookers with that kind of money.
Old 01-23-2019, 06:57 PM
Charter Member

Quote:
If you aren't seeing that, then Google is lying when it says it doesn't manipulate search results for individual users.
What are you talking about? When has Google ever said that? I've always heard, and experienced, the opposite:
Quote:
Personalized search was officially introduced in 2005 to users with Google accounts. In 2009 Google launched the feature to everyone who used their search engine, including those not signed in with Google accounts.

According to Google, personalized search gives them the ability to customize search results based on a user’s previous 180 days of search history, which is linked to an anonymous cookie in your browser. This is how Google personalizes results when you’re not signed in under a Google account. When you’re signed in, Google stores your Google web history and search is personalized even more.

Last edited by Left Hand of Dorkness; 01-23-2019 at 06:57 PM.
Old 01-23-2019, 07:02 PM

Quote:

That's a shocking poll, if true. I thought Trump's support among blacks was more like 11-15%. Also, your link is for a poll published last August, and Trump's overall approval has come down since then.

But even if the support is half of what the poll claims, it should be very worrying to Democrats. Perhaps smearing everyone not on their side as a racist isn't working so well.
Old 01-23-2019, 07:06 PM

Quote:
Originally Posted by Left Hand of Dorkness View Post
What are you talking about? When has Google ever said that? I've always heard, and experienced, the opposite:
My understanding was that Google's algorithm was not personalized in that way for searches like this. I would expect them to tailor commercial results and ads, but not straight up factual searches.

But it's a big problem if one person can do a search for maga hats and see only white people, while another person's search shows mostly black people. It makes you wonder how much more of our reality is being skewed through the Google lens.
Old 01-23-2019, 07:08 PM

Quote:
That's a shocking poll, if true. I thought Trump's support among blacks was more like 11-15%. Also, your link is for a poll published last August, and Trump's overall approval has come down since then.

But even if the support is half of what the poll claims, it should be very worrying to Democrats. Perhaps smearing everyone not on their side as a racist isn't working so well.
Believe it or not Sam, most if not all Democrats don't pick sides. We want all to win.
Old 01-23-2019, 07:12 PM
Charter Member

Quote:
My understanding was that Google's algorithm was not personalized in that way for searches like this. I would expect them to tailor commercial results and ads, but not straight up factual searches.
You expect wrong: they tailor searches based on what they think you're looking for. Whether it's a big problem is of course debatable, but Google has worked that way for a decade.

It's definitely a big problem for you to not realize how Google works, to think your search results reflect an unvarnished truth rather than an algorithm's attempt at pleasing you.
Old 01-23-2019, 07:12 PM

Quote:
Originally Posted by Huey Freeman View Post
the consumption of semen-covered oreos?
Da hell are you talking about? Is that one of those urban legends, like rainbow parties or something?
Old 01-23-2019, 07:15 PM

Quote:
Originally Posted by Huey Freeman View Post
You're stupid as shit. Depending on when and where that clothing is worn, it might not be safe. If I have a shirt that says "Hitler Rules", I might get my ass beat if I walk through a Jewish neighborhood Brooklyn. As for my racist screed, as I asked Dory's friend, Little Nemo, I'd be delighted to hear how anti-white racism (lol) and discrimination has personally impacted your life. I'd really, really, really like to know how you've been impacted by anti-white racism (lol). I'll put my cards down so you can see them: I reject political correctness (although, I was for it until it was clear white folks don't want no part of it). If white folks don't want to be political correct (or polite), why the fuck should I? Why should I call your retarded, inbred children "special needs" just to make you feel better? Why shouldn't I bring up the school shootings, the incest, or the consumption of semen-covered oreos? Should I bite my tongue just to make you feel better (or safer)? Fuck that, shit. You get what you're given. You hoes overwhelmingly elect the most vile and racist man in the a quarter of a century and have deliberately burned race relations for double that time. What you see is the hate that hate produced. .Get used to it. Ya'll hoes have incinerated race relations in this country and are shocked (shocked!!!) that people of color aren't as kind and empathetic with ya'll anymore. Fuck ya'll. Nice trick in 2008, too. I have to admit, I actually was stupid enough to think that white folks had turned a new page in race relations. We see you for what you are and ya'll won't fool people of color again. Best believe that.
Oof. Tryhard douchebro here sure is mad.
Old 01-23-2019, 07:15 PM
Charter Member

Quote:
Originally Posted by Guinastasia View Post
Da hell are you talking about? Is that one of those urban legends, like rainbow parties or something?
It's true, but it's also the goat.se of news stories. Careful what you ask for here.
Old 01-23-2019, 07:16 PM

Quote:

How does Trump get 36% approval among blacks when only 8% of black voters voted for him?

Not trying to derail the thread, just perplexed.
Old 01-23-2019, 07:22 PM

Quote:
It's true, but it's also the goat.se of news stories. Careful what you ask for here.
I think I know what you're talking about, (a certain shitty band took their name from it?) but I still suspect it's an urban legend. Or at least, it's only an isolated incident.

Not the common phenomenon our friend Huey here is making it out to be. People who fall for that shit are the type who thing gang members hide under parked cars waiting to slash peoples' ankles. (That was a popular one when I was in high school)
Old 01-23-2019, 07:23 PM

Quote:
If you aren't seeing that, then Google is lying when it says it doesn't manipulate search results for individual users.
...google isn't "manipulating" the search results. The algorithm is. Search results are never the same between individuals for a whole host of reasons. I'm probably never going to see exactly the same thing you see: especially as I live on the other side of the world. Don't blame google because you didn't know a very basic fact about how it works.

And FYI: with Duck Duck Go my search results were nearly identical to the google search with the addition of Dennis Rodman and "Michael the Black Man", the conspiracy theorist and former cultist.

Quote:
It makes you wonder how much more of our reality is being skewed through the Google lens.
You've only just started to wonder this? Holy fucking shit. It isn't just google. Its every fucking thing. Twitter. Facebook. Brexit. The last US elections. The balance finely tipped by algorithms that were manipulated just enough to have devastating results. Everything is skewed through a lens. We've all been compartmentalised into our own bubbles, being fed a steady steam of personally curated information that conforms to our own personal worldview.

This is what Trump's twitter feed looks like. It doesn't look anything like my feed at all.
Old 01-23-2019, 07:41 PM

Quote:
Anti-white racism affected me very recently. In fact, just a few minutes ago I was subjected to a racist rant by an anti-white racist.
Please share. I'm interested.

Quote:
And can we stop calling Nathan Phillips an Ďold maní? Heís about 15 years younger than the average age of the Democratic Leadership. Heís not even at retirement age. If he were running for President heíd be one of the younger people in the field. Heís the Wilford Brimley of ancient native elders.
Only on the SDMB could someone post this without someone retorting, "OK gramps"

I bet Reddit would have a whole train of it in a comment.

Quote:
If you aren't seeing that, then Google is lying when it says it doesn't manipulate search results for individual users. We should all be seeing the same thing. If you don't, try going to duck duck go and search for 'black people wearing Maga Hats'. I just did, and I get a screenful of nothing but...wait for it...black people wearing MAGA hats.
I googled 'google tailoring results to individual users'

https://www.google.com/search?client...dividula+users

In my screen, it says Google does indeed tailor its results to individual users. Then again, that's what I expected it to say. YMMV.

btw, I didn't get a screen full of black people wearing MAGA hats on duck duck go either.
Old 01-23-2019, 08:06 PM
Charter Member

Quote:
Originally Posted by Guinastasia View Post
I think I know what you're talking about, (a certain shitty band took their name from it?) but I still suspect it's an urban legend. Or at least, it's only an isolated incident.
You asked--and unless the band is named Mark Berndt, I don't think you know the story. Once you click, you can't un-know it.
Old 01-23-2019, 08:23 PM

LOL at the Google side bar. What a dipshit.
Old 01-23-2019, 08:25 PM

Quote:
You asked--and unless the band is named Mark Berndt, I don't think you know the story. Once you click, you can't un-know it.
Here to fight ignorance, aren't we?

Anyway, no to urban legend, yes to isolated incident.
Old 01-23-2019, 08:25 PM

Quote:
DAMN. Now that's fucked up. (Although I hate to say it -- I've heard worse)

Last edited by Guinastasia; 01-23-2019 at 08:26 PM.
Old 01-23-2019, 08:48 PM

Quote:
I can't help but picture you with a paddle wheel, you know like those they use at Church Festival days, where you simply spin it and whatever inanity comes up, you type it in. Doorhinge's Wheel of Non-Sequitors and Insults. Whether it makes sense or actually even remotely touches on anything someone says doesn't matter at all. Just spin the wheel and get your reply!

Quote:
Originally Posted by doorhinge
I get that. You have 40 responses in this thread alone. Quite a bit of time and effort with the wheel spinning.

I did a quick search, so I can't swear by the results, but the 40 responses in this thread are 40 more than your responses in the Mueller Investigation, Trump's Shutdown, Trump Clusterfuck, and Stupid Republican threads combined. It speaks volumes about what is important to you. Some privileged white kid having a handheld drum beaten within his earshot while his friends chant racist comments gets your juices flowing. The indictment of Trump supporters, Russian collusion, the shutdown, and the myriad of idiocy from the Republican party however don't even get your ire up. You're exactly what the Republican party wants and needs in their base.

Last edited by Hamlet; 01-23-2019 at 08:49 PM.
Old 01-23-2019, 08:55 PM

Quote:
I get that. You have 40 responses in this thread alone. Quite a bit of time and effort with the wheel spinning.

I did a quick search, so I can't swear by the results, but the 40 responses in this thread are 40 more than your responses in the Mueller Investigation, Trump's Shutdown, Trump Clusterfuck, and Stupid Republican threads combined. ...
That is some quality quick searching!
Old 01-23-2019, 09:28 PM

I know this isn't directly related but this controversy just reinforces my negative view of social media and Twitter in particular. Everyone is rushing into judge what happened and a lot of people are advocating violence. The people in charge of Twitter really need to adopt a no-tolerance policy for anyone who advocates any sort of violence and/or doxxing against a living person. Otherwise I'm afraid someone is actually going to end up dead in the future.
Old 01-23-2019, 09:41 PM

What Twitter should actually do is declare itself a common carrier, and therefore it would have no responsibility for policing content whatsoever. No one goes after the phone company if you get a harassing phone call.

As soon as an information service starts curating content, it becomes a publisher rather than a carrier, and it assumes responsibility for that content. And the volume on twitter, facebook etc is so great that they can't hope to police it all. They have been putting their faith in bots, but AI is nowhere near the capability of detecting the kinds of nuance required.

Once one of these services gets successfully sued for libel because they allowed libelous content on their site, the floodgates will open, the lawyers will come out of the woodwork, and the lawsuits will fly fast and furious. I'm surprised it hasn't happened already.

Last edited by Sam Stone; 01-23-2019 at 09:43 PM.
Old 01-23-2019, 09:45 PM

Quote:
Originally Posted by Velocity View Post
How does Trump get 36% approval among blacks when only 8% of black voters voted for him?

Not trying to derail the thread, just perplexed.
"Approval" is measured on a binary approve/disapprove scale. It indicates that someone has a generally positive view of a politician, but doesn't necessarily mean that they might not have a MORE positive view of another politician, or of many other politicians. So a politican's "approval rating" will often be much higher than the percentage of votes they could realistically expect to get in an actual election. (Not always; in 2016, both major party candidates got a percentage of the vote that significantly exceeded their approval ratings. This was because there was a large group of voters who didn't "approve" of either candidate, but still had to pick one).

Even so, given that Trump's approval rating is only 40% among ALL Americans, I have to conclude that the Rasmussen poll is either an outlier or not very recent.
Old 01-23-2019, 09:47 PM

Quote:
What Twitter should actually do is declare itself a common carrier, and therefore it would have no responsibility for policing content whatsoever. No one goes after the phone company if you get a harassing phone call.

As soon as an information service starts curating content, it becomes a publisher rather than a carrier, and it assumes responsibility for that content. And the volume on twitter, facebook etc is so great that they can't hope to police it all. They have been putting their faith in bots, but AI is nowhere near the capability of detecting the kinds of nuance required.

Once one of these services gets successfully sued for libel because they allowed libelous content on their site, the floodgates will open, the lawyers will come out of the woodwork, and the lawsuits will fly fast and furious. I'm surprised it hasn't happened already.
The services should probably be more worried about a wrongful death suit if someone ends up getting killed do to a social media-induced lynch mob. Even if legally they aren't found liable, the PR nightmare could easily put them out of business.
Old 01-23-2019, 09:58 PM

Quote:
You expect wrong: they tailor searches based on what they think you're looking for. Whether it's a big problem is of course debatable, but Google has worked that way for a decade.

It's definitely a big problem for you to not realize how Google works, to think your search results reflect an unvarnished truth rather than an algorithm's attempt at pleasing you.
I am familiar with Google's personalized search. I just didn't expect it to heavily modify this type of search.

Personalized search most commonly influences results by location - if I search for a product it prioritizes products available closest to me. It also can modify search based on what web sites I routinely use, so if I do a search which includes one of my favorite web sites in the results, it will be elevated over the others. Of course, since Google doesn't publish the algorithm none of us really know exactly what they are doing. They may be using a million different pieces of data they have on me to 'tailor' my search.

But what I wouldn't expect is for that search to grossly change factual queries. If I search for 'fastest car in the world' and Google knows I search for Camaros a lot, I would not expect it to bring up a Camaro site if the Camaro is not, in fact, the fastest car in the world.

In this case, the search was 'black people wearing Maga Hats'. And my search did roughly turn up images of black people wearing Maga hats, as you would expect. But other people here claim that when they do the same search, they see Kanye and all the rest are white people. So I guess if you really wanted or needed some pictures of black people wearing Maga hats, it appears Google is actively thwarting thst search.

Try turning personalized search off (easy enough to do), and let me know what the query results show in the image tab.
Old 01-23-2019, 10:04 PM

Quote:
Originally Posted by dorvann View Post
The services should probably be more worried about a wrongful death suit if someone ends up getting killed do to a social media-induced lynch mob. Even if legally they aren't found liable, the PR nightmare could easily put them out of business.
Sure. I actually spent money on this - I ran an information service for a few years, and we were worried about things like people posting child porn. So we consulted a lawyer, and the lawyer recommended thst we do nothing, and even better, remove any tools that would even theoretically look at our user's content. As the lawyer said, once you deny one person's content you are declaring your responsibility for content management, and the courts would hold me liable for any crimes of that sort committed on our service. Our only safety was to maintain a strict hands-off policy and claim common carrier status if sued.

I am surprised this hasn't happened yet to facebook, Twitter or YouTube. All of them now have content policies and claim to police their content, and yet all have let plenty of content through that could be legally actionable.
Old 01-23-2019, 10:11 PM

Quote:
Sure. I actually spent money on this - I ran an information service for a few years, and we were worried about things like people posting child porn. So we consulted a lawyer, and the lawyer recommended thst we do nothing, and even better, remove any tools that would even theoretically look at our user's content. As the lawyer said, once you deny one person's content you are declaring your responsibility for content management, and the courts would hold me liable for any crimes of that sort committed on our service. Our only safety was to maintain a strict hands-off policy and claim common carrier status if sued.

I am surprised this hasn't happened yet to facebook, Twitter or YouTube. All of them now have content policies and claim to police their content, and yet all have let plenty of content through that could be legally actionable.
The PR problem could actually be more damaging--Facebook,Twitter, and YouTube are all dependent on people having accounts. If there is an organized campaign for people start deleting accounts on one of the services that's what would probably put them out of business. Myspace lost a lot of followers and they didn't even have a campaign organized against them.
Old 01-23-2019, 10:27 PM

Quote:
As soon as an information service starts curating content, it becomes a publisher rather than a carrier, and it assumes responsibility for that content.
...you aren't understanding how it all works. Twitter isn't curating your content. Neither is google, or facebook, or whatever "information service" you have chosen to use.

You are curating your content. What you watch, who you follow, what you like, its all fed into an algorithm and the service feeds up to you what it considers what it thinks you want to see more of. It recommends you follow more people with similar views: and eventually you create your own personally curated feedback loop. You see and hear only people that you agree with.

Its these feedback loops that were exploited at the last US elections. People and organizations like Cambridge Analytica figured out how the algorithms worked. They had data they shouldn't have had access too and they sold that data to people who used it to devastating effect. Its what pushed the margins of the Brexit vote from "Remain" to "Leave." If you weren't targeted by the algorithms you never saw the ads: so nearly everybody never knew there was an active disinformation propaganda campaign going on silently in the background. The only people who saw the ads were people who were susceptible to those ads. It was utterly brilliant in a terrifying, horrible way.
Old 01-24-2019, 01:07 AM
Charter Member

I went over to Pew to get an idea of what Trump's approval rating among blacks was. It was 14% in June 2018. Their topline approval was 40% at the time, about what it is now.

Disapproval among African Americans was 80%.
http://www.people-press.org/2018/06/...-donald-trump/
Old 01-24-2019, 03:55 AM
One of Cecil's six friends
Charter Member

Quote:
In this case, the search was 'black people wearing Maga Hats'. And my search did roughly turn up images of black people wearing Maga hats, as you would expect.
Heh. When I do it, I get random black people, plus Jack Black in a MAGA hat.
Old 01-24-2019, 04:19 AM
Charter Member

The NY Times has a new article here.

Quote:
Nathan Phillips is a liar, not a victim

Days after Nathan Phillips’ story of his confrontation with a group of students in Washington was thoroughly discredited, many on the left are still rallying behind him, pretending he was somehow a victim.

This, even after both the New York Times and the Washington Post had to publish not just “clarifications” about the incident itself, but even corrections of his claim to be a Vietnam, or “Vietnam times,” veteran. (Turns out he was a stateside refrigerator technician, and frequently AWOL.)

It also turns out Phillips made nearly identical allegations against a few college students four years ago.
Old 01-24-2019, 04:20 AM

Quote:
Originally Posted by Quartz View Post
...that's not the fucking NY Times.
Old 01-24-2019, 04:41 AM

Quote:
Originally Posted by dorvann View Post
It's not an "if" situation:

Social media rumours in India: counting the dead

....a video clip shared on WhatsApp went viral in India in June 2018, with tragic consequences. In the clip, a man on a motorbike appears to be kidnapping a child from the street. The messages that accompanied the video as it was shared from phone to phone alleged that the incident had occurred in Bangalore and warned the community to be on the lookout for ďpotential child-liftersĒ. Vigilante mobs formed and killed an estimated 10 people.

The clip was in fact part of a safety video produced by a child welfare group in Pakistan.

WhatsApp is still around.
Facebook based incitment was instrumental in creating the climate on which the ethnic cleansing of the Rohingya population in Myanmar occurred a year or so ago

"Facebook has admitted it failed to do enough to prevent its platform being used to fuel political division and bloodshed in Myanmar.
The company on Monday released a report that it commissioned into the damage caused in the Southeast Asian country by abuses of its social network, including efforts to whip up hatred against the Rohingya, a persecuted Muslim minority group.
The report highlights yet another case of Facebook struggling to manage the rapid spread of hate and misinformation across one of its platforms ó and the impact of those failings on society."

This thread is just a small part of something that began with a manipulative Twitter post from a suspicious account, it shows how easy it is to get the hate started when social media is used by people to whip each other into a frenzy.
Old 01-24-2019, 05:18 AM

Apparently the Kovington Katholic Kids were harassing people even before the Phillips incident. According to that woman, they were yelling "Build the wall", "MAGA", and "Slut".

Also apparently the PR firm that the little asshole hired has a huge social media botnet, which is how the bullshit right-wing counter-narrative spread so quickly.
According to the Anti-Defamation League, "In 2018, domestic extremists killed at least 50 people in the US, a sharp increase from the 37 extremist-related murders documented in 2017....every single extremist killing ó from Pittsburgh to Parkland ó had a link to right-wing extremism."
Old 01-24-2019, 05:24 AM
Charter Member

Quote:
Originally Posted by Banquet Bear View Post
...that's not the fucking NY Times.
D'oh! You are, of course, correct. Mea culpa.
Old 01-24-2019, 07:19 AM

Quote:
Originally Posted by Quartz View Post
Just did a quick search on that opinion piece in the NY Post (as already noted), quite different than the NY Times.

A Snopes piece says that the question of whether Phillips lied about being a Vietnam vet is "unproven". His words in the transcript seem to say that he says Vietnam era or Vietnam times vet. CNN and the NY TImes made corrections to their transcript because they claimed he was a Vietnam vet, which is not something he clearly said.

The college incident was in 2015.

Quote:
In 2015, Phillips was living in Ypsilanti, Michigan when he encountered a group of three dozen college students 'dressed in Indian garb'
The students were enrolled in nearby Eastern Michigan University, according to Phillips
The 'red-face' party featured students who painted their faces red, wore feather hats, and chanted about 'impregnating women', according to reports
Phillips confronted the students and told them their party was 'racist,' he said
He claims that one of the students threw beer at him and told him to 'go back to the reservation, you blank Indian'
I find it unsurprising that a person of color has faced two separate incidents involving their race.

Last edited by Heffalump and Roo; 01-24-2019 at 07:20 AM. Reason: forgot the link to the college incident