Old 01-07-2016, 02:38 PM

New young woman (on an H1B Visa, not that it makes a difference, but is potentially cultural) comes into work more than half the time with THE most offensive and terrible breath, that comes over the cube wall like a cloud of death. I end up turning my fan to blow it all back at her.

I don't work with her and we haven't been introduced, so I don't quite want to walk over and tell her to brush her damned teeth before coming to work.

Emailed her boss, very gently, and asked if he could speak to her. As I said, I can't imagine what it's like to sit with her or be stuck in a conference room with her.
Old 01-08-2016, 10:39 PM

My very elderly coworker's elderly and severely infirm husband just got out of the hospital and has been placed into long-term care. She is currently planning wills, has POA for him, and is trying to get him off the title of their home. She wants to get him on Medicaid without sacrificing their joint assets; however, her attorney has informed her that they audit a 5-year history to prevent this. Her daughter doesn't come around much, but provides a lot of moral support in these trying times. Her son is a paraplegic who lives with them and helps to the best of his ability (cooks, mows the lawn, argues with his mother like it's his job).

I know these things because my cubicle neighbor averages more than half of every 6-hour shift on personal phone calls. One. after. afucking. nother. Her boss either doesn't know (unlikely), doesn't care (possible), or is too afraid to fire her because of the inevitable age-discrimination lawsuit (likely). She's been "leaving next month" since I started this role 8 months ago.

Sometimes I can put on headphones and drown out the clatter. Most times, unfortunately, I can't. She's not a bad person, but she's a very poor worker. I want to scream at her, "Quit this job and take care of your family already, because obviously you can't do both!"

Last edited by Rachellelogram; 01-08-2016 at 10:41 PM.
Old 01-08-2016, 11:15 PM

Jeez. I can't imagine being an elderly woman dealing with a dying husband AND a paraplegic son. And I bet she can't afford to give up her job -- probably needs the money AND the time away from the house.

I'm sorry you have to overhear all her calls, but I can't imagine a boss being scummy enough to fire someone in that situation.
Old 01-09-2016, 06:29 AM

Quote:
Originally Posted by StarvingButStrong View Post
Jeez. I can't imagine being an elderly woman dealing with a dying husband AND a paraplegic son. And I bet she can't afford to give up her job -- probably needs the money AND the time away from the house.

I'm sorry you have to overhear all her calls, but I can't imagine a boss being scummy enough to fire someone in that situation.
A thousand times this :nodding:
Old 01-12-2016, 08:55 PM

A: (Copying B, C and D) I tried X and it didn't work. How do I do this?
Me: You can't do X that way. Do it this way, there's a link in my signature line with a full explanation including 24 8x10 color glossies with a paragraph on the back of each one explaining what it is.

Four days later...

B (Replying to my email above. ) I tried X and it didn't work, how do I do this?
Me: You replied to my email where I told you exactly how to do that.
Old 01-13-2016, 12:19 AM

Not really a rant, but I hope this continuation of my little Theater of the Absurd will make someone giggle:

I'd already mentioned how Stupid Boss' reaction to "Nava is leaving" was "return your computer! Naow!"

So, yesterday I get onsite, find out the doorcard doesn't work; I suspect some genius has had me blocked from the system already. I get to our office and the Networks guy grins into his collar (strike two). Boot up, laptop can't get into the network due to "userID issue" (strike three and home run). Since I know the Networks guy can't reactivate me without Idiot Boss' orders, I walk up to Idiot Boss, who is sitting next to Networks guy. "Oh HI! You must bring in your laptop!"
"Yes, I've got it here.[have you ever seen me with my macramé samples* and without my laptop?] In fact, it cannot connect to the network and my keycard isn't working. Maybe I've been taken offsystem already?"
Idiot Boss: "Oh! Oh..."
Networks guy: "Should I reactivate her?"
Idiot Boss: "When will you be leaving? Will you be here on Friday? You must bring your laptop on Friday if you leave on Friday!"
"Yes, I will make sure to bring it, and yes, I'll be here on Friday."
Idiot Boss: "You must bring your laptop on Friday then!"
"Yessir."
Networks guy mouths "done", I thank him and Idiot Boss and head to my desk. As I leave, there is a parting shot of "remember to bring your laptop on Friday!"

Have they had a history of people forgetting to bring their laptop on their last day or something? I have no idea but yeah, maybe you guys should remind me to bring my laptop on Friday.

* I don't do macramé, but I certainly do laptops.
Old 01-13-2016, 06:18 AM
Charter Member

Hey Nava! Don't forget your laptop! On Friday! Is Friday your last day?
Old 01-13-2016, 07:00 AM
Charter Member

Yeah, if you could just bring your laptop in on Friday, that'd be great, mmmkay?
Old 01-13-2016, 07:11 AM

Co-worker, for the love of God will you stop sucking your teeth?
Old 01-13-2016, 10:44 AM

Quote:
Originally Posted by Chimera View Post
A: (Copying B, C and D) I tried X and it didn't work. How do I do this?
Me: You can't do X that way. Do it this way, there's a link in my signature line with a full explanation including 24 8x10 color glossies with a paragraph on the back of each one explaining what it is.

Four days later...

B (Replying to my email above. ) I tried X and it didn't work, how do I do this?
Me: You replied to my email where I told you exactly how to do that.

Holy Fuckwits are these people thick.

And just now, I get a reply from B, asking me how to do X. AGAIN.

Quoted the same fucking email thread back at them.
Old 01-13-2016, 12:14 PM
Charter Member

Quote:
Originally Posted by Nava View Post

Have they had a history of people forgetting to bring their laptop on their last day or something? I have no idea but yeah, maybe you guys should remind me to bring my laptop on Friday.
I just learned that this is a HUGE issue for my company. We have individual reps in all 50 states plus a few overseas, and a small handful of folks allowed to telework when the mood strikes (and would therefore potentially have their laptop at home). We average a high rate of workers not returning laptops and other equipment after their last day. And these are truly crappy laptops!

All I can say is they should be glad I'm not in HR, because I would hold their last check until they returned it in mint condition. No response in 6 months and we file theft charges.
Old 01-13-2016, 12:28 PM

Quote:
Originally Posted by bobkitty View Post
All I can say is they should be glad I'm not in HR, because I would hold their last check until they returned it in mint condition. No response in 6 months and we file theft charges.
You cannot legally do that. I'd just go to my state labor board and they'd tell you that if you don't have my final paycheck to me within 24 hours of my request for it, you'll be fined big $$$.
Old 01-13-2016, 04:26 PM
Charter Member

Sure thing; we'll have it delivered along with the arrest warrant for stealing government property.
Old 01-14-2016, 02:50 AM

If I can't get the effing job because the bloody foreigners running the motherfucking background test have problems with my name I'm going to need Doper help to work up a proper amount of cursing Who speaks Russian?

NO I don't have a middle name, nor have I ever had one.

NO those four words are not my lastname, they're my lastnameS.

And NO I don't remember how every foreign institution I ever worked for or studied at mangled my damned name! It's bad enough with the Spanish Government, who at least gets my lastnames right!

Last edited by Nava; 01-14-2016 at 02:52 AM.
Old 01-14-2016, 02:56 AM

Quote:
Originally Posted by bobkitty View Post
Sure thing; we'll have it delivered along with the arrest warrant for stealing government property.
If you have a big problem then either

a) your employees are abnormally bad
Or
b) the person or handful of people in charge of returns / or "outboarding" are incompetent.

b) is more likely
Old 01-14-2016, 05:29 AM
Charter Member

I think it's more c) people are extremely lazy, hate going to the post office/UPS store, and have no real motivation to follow through on returning anything, since they know that we're unlikely to pursue the issue.

B is absolutely true for some of the cases; the IT guy in charge of arranging for return of the laptops, blackberry phones, and other tech stuff for half of our state people could barely be bothered to do his on-site work, let alone muster up the energy to hound people hundreds of miles away to pack up and return company property. Thankfully he resigned a month ago (and while he left all the equipment as requested, he also left a hot mess of IT issues for his successor).

Last edited by bobkitty; 01-14-2016 at 05:29 AM.
Old 01-14-2016, 08:11 AM
Charter Member

First, I admit that on the scale of 'problems' this doesn't even rank. But I'm spending the morning being pissed off, so I figured I'd share it with you all.

My work place has been talking for quite a few months about significantly adjusting our salary grid, with the intent of paying everybody more, and to raise the starting salary to a 'livable wage.' Awesome!

Well, the method they came up with is something like this:
  • There will be a new starting salary $X
  • Everyone making under $X will be raised to $X
  • People making between $X and $X+10k will be getting a $4k raise
  • People making between $X+10k and $X+20k will be getting a $2k raise
  • People making over $X+30k don't get a raise

. . . roughly.

Well, I have the privilege of making just under $X, and my big raise that we've been hearing about for months is a less-than-one-percent raise.

I wouldn't be surprised, actually, if my raise was the smallest raise in the company (for those in the cohort who are getting raises).

(Yes, waaah, I got a raise, I should shut up. I'm still getting this primal 'unfair! unfair!' feeling in my gut.)
Old 01-14-2016, 08:15 AM

Quote:
Originally Posted by Nava View Post
NO those four words are not my lastname, they're my lastnameS.
You've posted about this before, and I've always wondered how it works. Let's say your name is Nava Jones Smith Wilson Brown.

I'm guessing your names come from various family lines, like your mother was Jane Jones Smith and your father David Wilson Brown? (Are some of the names hyphenated?) Or do all the names come from the same side, like your father David was a Jones Smith Wilson Brown too?

In a practical sense, is one of them somehow 'primary'? I mean, if you met me at a party, would you say just "I'm Nava Jones" or "Nava Brown", using the same one each time? Versus than the entire set? Or does it depend on context somehow? (I don't know -- social vs. business vs. religious vs. legal matters, maybe?)

(I'm afraid I somewhat sympathize with the other side on those hassles. Given the difficulties I've had entering last names that are simply two names hyphenated into a less than flexible medical database, I have NO idea how that would have been handled. Computer memory is no longer expensive, people! Why limit the field size so severely?)
Old 01-14-2016, 10:22 AM

Allow me to introduce you to a Spanish actress whose lastnames happen to have the same structure as mine:

Pilar López de Ayala

We even share the problem of having a multiword baptismal name, hers being María del Pilar. It's one name although multiple words and she evidently prefers to use "Pilar", among its many possible abbreviations.

The first lastname is López de Ayala, from her father. The second is Arroyo, from her mother. The portuguese put the mother's lastname first, which might be where the British (I understand it was specifically the Scottish) got the idea to start using the mother's maiden name as a middle name.

She'll use López de Ayala in any context in which she's not required by law to use both (it's only a requirement on supermegaofficial documents such as contracts, civil registry certificates or Spanish-government-issued ID). It is highly likely to be abbreviated to López, unless there is already a López around; in that case it could end up being Ayala instead. And if she worked in IT like I do she'd be up to here of asking "can I get a username of PLopez01 or PAyala01 rather than PLopezdeAyala? Please?"

So:
contract in Spain, Pilar López de Ayala Arroyo
contract in a country where people only use a lastname, Pilar López de Ayala
may indeed introduce herself as Pilar López, both because the name is a mouthful and because those structures trigger some really strange reactions; people tend to think it means you're nobility as in "grande de España", when actually all it means is that way back when there were so many people with the first part that the other two words got added.
may get first lastname or even both of them scrunched up into lopezdeayala or lopezdeayalaarroyo when flying. May also have received a plane ticket adressed to Ms. De (happened to me once). Highly unlikely to be able to use the autocheckin feature, if it requires reading the passport or other ID, due to that loss of spaces.

Last edited by Nava; 01-14-2016 at 10:27 AM.
Old 01-14-2016, 10:52 AM

Huh. Very interesting! I hadn't though of the possibility of a multiword name .... I don't think I've ever heard of that happening in English.

Though my last name is a single word, it's a freaking LOOOONG one, with a non-intuitive for English speakers cluster of consonants, so I have some experience of hassles about my name. For a while I pretty much switched to using a drastically abbreviated version of my name (with simplified spelling) for day to day use, though my driver's license and such had the true version.

Then I married a guy with a common one-syllable name.
Old 01-14-2016, 02:23 PM

Quote:
Originally Posted by StarvingButStrong View Post
Huh. Very interesting! I hadn't though of the possibility of a multiword name .... I don't think I've ever heard of that happening in English.

Though my last name is a single word, it's a freaking LOOOONG one...
Then I married a guy with a common one-syllable name.
Unfortunately, in our case, it was the wife who had the common one-syllable name. Which I really wanted to take when we got married, but she liked mine and wanted a change. And I am the last of a long line to go by [long name from Just Outside Suburban Liechtenstein redacted], so my dad would NOT have understood (how little the next generation cares...)
Old 01-14-2016, 07:05 PM

Eonwe, that really is unfair and we all feel for you. Maybe you can get a promotion.
Old 01-14-2016, 07:29 PM

Don't worry, Nava. If I made a sale to you I'd have to shorten your name to two words, totaling 22 characters, anyway. And no, I have no idea why the field length is 22, either.

Our comment field, where we sum up all needed info for the next person, is only 60 characters. I complained to my bosses, noting that it is less than half a Tweet, but there are no changes to that. OR to how if you log off for lunch immediately after a sale your meal time is marked against your personal break (we get a quarter more per hour if we keep our personal time under 22 minutes/day), so we have to keep calling until we don't make a sale. OR to how we suddenly can't get into our personal callbacks without locking our systems. OR to how if, before that "improvement," when we went into our personal callbacks immediately after a sale the system would lock. Or to how the network has taken to not bringing up our general, anybody can call because we trust each other not to fuck up the sale, callbacks at 3:30PM CST, no matter when we scheduled them, even though we SCHEDULE a callback FOR A FUCKING REASON, most of our calls are to the Eastern time zone, and most medical offices are closed by then.

Our lead screen is recognizably ported from an AS/400 and a guy I know in IT recruiting sez that the only AS/400 hands he can find are Russian, so it may be something like Nava's problem. All I know is that the Russian receptionists I speak with must be hot because they are neither competent nor helpful. And I no longer find that cliched, languorous way of speaking, dripping with ennui, entertaining. It's just annoying and I'd fire them; this is America, dammit, so do some work! But of course the doctors are Russian, too, so they probably expect it. Or expect to get cut if they speak up, since their receptionists are probably their wives.
Old 01-14-2016, 10:30 PM

You guys know how one of the things facebook used to strout about was that people there "use their real names"? I still run into that claim sometimes and it makes me roll my eyes sooooo hard, because they only accept two spaces, so there are a lot of people out there who aren't allowed to use our real names by the software (and then add all the aliases, corporate webpages, and yeah rite). You know, even when it was something designed for the student body of a university, I expect a bunch of them had names that were not Firstname Middlename Last(Family)name.

I keep saying I need to find me a nice Anglo engineer with a lastname of Smith, or Jones or something like that...

Last edited by Nava; 01-14-2016 at 10:34 PM.
Old 01-15-2016, 04:28 AM

Thanks to your reminders, I did indeed bring the laptop in.

OTOH, the background checks people blow ass. They wouldn't if I was British, living in the UK, had had all my education there, and also my work history, but as is? Aaaaaargh!
Old 01-15-2016, 09:15 AM
Charter Member

Quote:
Originally Posted by j666 View Post
Eonwe, that really is unfair and we all feel for you. Maybe you can get a promotion.
Hey, I admitted that it's a pretty lame-assed problem. But I needed to vent. It's still a kind of dumpy feeling when the guy to your left is gets a multi-thousand dollar raise, and the guy to your right gets a multi-thousand dollar raise, and sitting in the middle you get $50. I'm mostly over it, but it's never fun to be stuck with the licorice-flavor jelly beans because all the good ones got handed out to other people, even though you have jelly beans when once you didn't.

But thank you for your snark.
Old 01-15-2016, 11:07 AM
Charter Member

Quote:
Originally Posted by Eonwe View Post
Hey, I admitted that it's a pretty lame-assed problem. But I needed to vent. It's still a kind of dumpy feeling when the guy to your left is gets a multi-thousand dollar raise, and the guy to your right gets a multi-thousand dollar raise, and sitting in the middle you get $50. I'm mostly over it, but it's never fun to be stuck with the licorice-flavor jelly beans because all the good ones got handed out to other people, even though you have jelly beans when once you didn't.

I can't speak for j666, but I actually do feel for you and I suspect his/her remark was in earnest. It's a crappy feeling when everyone else is celebrating their good fortune and you were struck out on a technicality.

Also, it means that all your hard work getting to the point where you made more than others is no longer recognized - they're getting paid as much as you are now. I know we're all supposed to regard ourselves as more than our paychecks, blah, blah, but the way a company shows that it appreciates people is with cold hard cash. Now, through no fault of your own, you've been re-leveled with people you've already outworked.

Last edited by mischievous; 01-15-2016 at 11:08 AM.
Old 01-15-2016, 12:12 PM
Charter Member

Quote:
Originally Posted by mischievous View Post
I can't speak for j666, but I actually do feel for you and I suspect his/her remark was in earnest. It's a crappy feeling when everyone else is celebrating their good fortune and you were struck out on a technicality.

Also, it means that all your hard work getting to the point where you made more than others is no longer recognized - they're getting paid as much as you are now. I know we're all supposed to regard ourselves as more than our paychecks, blah, blah, but the way a company shows that it appreciates people is with cold hard cash. Now, through no fault of your own, you've been re-leveled with people you've already outworked.
Exactly. And, j666, if you were indeed sincere then my sincere apologies for assuming otherwise.
Old 01-15-2016, 07:11 PM

Quote:
What? Hey, no ...
Quote:
Originally Posted by mischievous View Post

Yeah, what s/he said.

Quote:
Exactly. And, j666, if you were indeed sincere then my sincere apologies for assuming otherwise.
Don't worry about it, life is not be kind to you today, and we are all here to vent. (And I really think that if you were the highest paid in your group, you should ask your manager for a promotion.)
Old 01-15-2016, 11:19 PM

Quote:
...I'm mostly over it, but it's never fun to be stuck with the licorice-flavor jelly beans because all the good ones got handed out to other people, even though you have jelly beans when once you didn't.

That sucks.

So, can I be sympathetic and still fantasize about getting black jelly beans at work?
Old 01-16-2016, 02:23 PM
Charter Member

Quote:

White mint-ish flavor. Licorice flavor are yum.
Old 01-16-2016, 02:52 PM

Oh, I hate those white, mintish ones! OTOH, there's a reason you can buy the black ones by the bag.
Old 01-16-2016, 07:58 PM

Licorice jellybeans are divine. Those buttered popcorn Jelly Bellys are vile denizens of hell.
Old 01-17-2016, 09:01 AM

Co-worker, you know how you get really angry when you have to deal with anyone who doesn't speak English very well (even though yours isn't actually all that amazing either; understandable but nowhere near native level)?

Well, given that poor English annoys you to the point of being unable to do your job properly, have you ever considered maybe not working in a freaking airport?

Fine, you think that other people should put in the effort to learn English when they move to England and I can't argue that it's a very good idea to do so, given that not speaking English here vastly reduces a person's options, and can be very isolating. Stretching that to being personally insulted that someone slightly mispronounced a word while waiting for a plane to fly out of the country is... kinda crazy.

Oh, and while we're at it, if you'd stop being a dick to people because you think everyone of their skin colour is a dick to you, maybe you'd realise who the real total dick in the situation actually is.

And again, if you want to to deal with an ethnically homogeneous group of people, maybe an airport isn't the place for you, mmkay?
Old 01-17-2016, 12:52 PM

Quote:
Originally Posted by Catamount View Post
Licorice jellybeans are divine. Those buttered popcorn Jelly Bellys are vile denizens of hell.
I think you have that backwards...

A few months ago I had ranted on here about my work partner, who was a sweet lady but just couldn't get the hang of the job. Year and a half and she was still asking the same questions every day about the same things. I got moved to a different team recently and I was finally free of the questions. I had to learn a whole new part of the job but I didn't have someone constantly hovering over my shoulder asking me to show them what to do over and over and over and over...

They just fired my former partner. Apparently on top of not ever getting the hang of the job she got caught doing something highly illegal- twice. So now while I'm still trying to learn all the details of my new job I'm also being expected to jump in and cover for some of her stuff too. You can read that as "fixing her mistakes". All the jumping back and forth between teams and trying to remember what I'm supposed to be doing is exhausting.

My boss seems to be appreciative, she brings me chocolate and tells everyone I'm a rock star. All I really want is to be left alone so I can finish learning what I'm actually supposed to be doing now. And the powers that be better remember this come annual review time.
Old 01-17-2016, 03:28 PM

Quote:
Originally Posted by Dr. Girlfriend View Post
I think you have that backwards...
Oh good, someone to trade nasty jellybeans with.
Old 01-17-2016, 03:46 PM
Charter Member

The white jelly beans...are we talking about the ones in the standard Brach's mix you find at Easter? I thought they were meant to be pineapple-flavored.
Old 01-17-2016, 05:27 PM

I'll be happy to pass along any cherry flavored jelly beans.
Old 01-17-2016, 05:58 PM

The white ones with pale, pink dots that cost extra? No, those are delish. I mean the cheap ones.
Old 01-21-2016, 02:51 PM

Bumping this thread to get it back on the page
Old 01-22-2016, 07:36 PM

I walked off the job today! I can only take so much bullshit, and I had my limit around noon. And surprisingly it wasn't Demanding Partner who ticked me off - he doesn't even get in the office until 2:00 and I was gone by then.

Last year sometime I had mentioned to HR and the managing partner that I don't, financially speaking, actually have to work.....apparently that little tidbit has been forgotten. When I tried to complain about something that was driving me nuts, it was turned back around on me - at which point I remember that Useless HR lady protects her friends, and I am not one of them. Then she started saying that Demanding Partner hadn't actually asked for me, and didn't actually dislike his previous secretary (bullshit - he won't shut up about it and he's not that good a liar). She started a sentence with "you're making incorrect assumptions..." to which I replied "The incorrect assumption I'm making is that I should still be working here. Well, I'm done."

I grabbed as much of my personal stuff as I could (I have to go back for some of it on Monday) and I turned in my office keys and parking pass. I feel sorry for some of my co-workers - the good ones - but the rest of them, not so much.

I'm going to take some time off and maybe look for something part time - or maybe not. Before he died, my father in law said "Paula when I am gone you won't have to work!" Maybe it's time to take him up on that - he died in 2013.
Old 01-22-2016, 10:26 PM

Congratulations? Good you're out of a bad situations, but you come across as a person who likes to works.

So, are you going to send Demanding Partner a resignation letter, saying that while s/he was a delight to work for, you could no longer tolerate the firm's unreasonable employment practices? That could get a few sets of knickers in a twist.
Old 01-25-2016, 09:34 PM
Charter Member

Quote:
Originally Posted by Hey Hey Paula View Post
I walked off the job today! I can only take so much bullshit, and I had my limit around noon. And surprisingly it wasn't Demanding Partner who ticked me off - he doesn't even get in the office until 2:00 and I was gone by then.

Last year sometime I had mentioned to HR and the managing partner that I don't, financially speaking, actually have to work.....apparently that little tidbit has been forgotten. When I tried to complain about something that was driving me nuts, it was turned back around on me - at which point I remember that Useless HR lady protects her friends, and I am not one of them. Then she started saying that Demanding Partner hadn't actually asked for me, and didn't actually dislike his previous secretary (bullshit - he won't shut up about it and he's not that good a liar). She started a sentence with "you're making incorrect assumptions..." to which I replied "The incorrect assumption I'm making is that I should still be working here. Well, I'm done."

I grabbed as much of my personal stuff as I could (I have to go back for some of it on Monday) and I turned in my office keys and parking pass. I feel sorry for some of my co-workers - the good ones - but the rest of them, not so much.

I'm going to take some time off and maybe look for something part time - or maybe not. Before he died, my father in law said "Paula when I am gone you won't have to work!" Maybe it's time to take him up on that - he died in 2013.
So how'd the pickup go today? Any, errr, interesting interactions? C'mon girl, dish!
Old 01-25-2016, 10:00 PM

I made a separate post about my impending probable job loss here: http://boards.straightdope.com/sdmb/...d.php?t=782144

I'm numb and don't know how I feel aside from sick right now.
Old 01-25-2016, 11:38 PM

Quote:
Originally Posted by Morgyn View Post
So how'd the pickup go today? Any, errr, interesting interactions? C'mon girl, dish!
Didn't happen - they're overnighting my stuff and my final check to me. Fine by me!
Old 01-26-2016, 06:10 AM

Quote:
Originally Posted by SeaDragonTattoo View Post
I made a separate post about my impending probable job loss here: http://boards.straightdope.com/sdmb/...d.php?t=782144

I'm numb and don't know how I feel aside from sick right now.
After reading the other thread, I have to say how sorry I am that you are going through that crap. A boss so bad that half the department leaves just on *hearing* of the appointment? Yeah, my advice is to update your resume and Get The Bleep Out Of There!

My contribution: the tsunami of overwork begins! Much anticipated, but unaddressed. We have people to do 6-9 thingies next month. We're scheduled for 20 thingies. Or maybe more, because we're a "dynamic" environment.
Old 01-26-2016, 06:49 AM
Charter Member

Quote:
Originally Posted by Hey Hey Paula View Post
Didn't happen - they're overnighting my stuff and my final check to me. Fine by me!
That's rather ... anticlimatic. Oh, well. Sounds like you're well out of there.
Old 01-26-2016, 08:53 AM

Quote:
Originally Posted by Typo Knig View Post
After reading the other thread, I have to say how sorry I am that you are going through that crap. A boss so bad that half the department leaves just on *hearing* of the appointment?
The stupid part about this sort of thing, and I've seen it before, is that at no point does the person who hired the disaster ever reconsider it. I mean, if I gave someone a promotion and half their team quit, I'd step back and talk to everyone, those who quit and those who stayed - to find out the issue. And probably back off the promotion if it's going to drive people away.

Nope, that never happens. People just willingly destroy entire departments and drive people away to get their favorite into a spot they should never occupy.
Old 01-26-2016, 09:10 AM
Charter Member

So, I've been job hunting for a little while. Took a couple months, but not a big deal. I have an oral agreement with the boss for one position that I'm really excited about and I'm 97% sure I'll be taking, but he's in up to his earlobes and hasn't gotten me a written offer yet. Until I have signed on the dotted line, I'm continuing to apply and interview for other positions. Plus, I'm on unemployment so I'm required to continue to apply for jobs to qualify. Plus, I'm volunteering on a mostly full-time basis. So, I'm kind of busy.

So yesterday (Monday) afternoon, I was invited to an interview for a place I'd actually kind of like to work. Interview is Wednesday morning, giving me one day to prepare talking points and check everyone's background and suchlike. Except that they also ask for a writing sample on a topic they've set, in a format that you have to intuit from the examples they give, with a suggested "it would take one of our people no more than 5 hours". Which means that it will take me several hours to work out their format and then ~7 hours to write about something I'm unfamiliar with. So, they've assigned me ~10 hours of work that has to be done in one day. Good thing I'm otherwise unemployed (except for my busy volunteer schedule and a part-time thing that has also picked this moment to heat up).

I don't object to the writing sample - it's a well designed exercise to look at your writing style and see if you're capable of figuring things out without handholding (i.e. can you deduce our format from these examples, can you find relevant sources of information without us pointing them out to you?). I'm kind of impressed by it as an interview tool. But the timeline is totally unreasonable for an employed person and still pretty damn tight for me.

Oh, and they also want me to "familiarize myself" with a software suite that I've never used. They don't expect me to have used it before, but they want me to know enough about it that I can sort it out during the interview.

On the one hand, I have this other position in the offing so I'm tempted to tell them to go to hell. On the other hand, I am intrigued by this position and they might tempt me away. And the other position could still fall though. And dammit, I want to do things well!

Last edited by mischievous; 01-26-2016 at 09:11 AM.
Old 01-26-2016, 12:11 PM

Listen, bub: You're not my boss.

I know you're two levels up from me, but: You're not my boss.

I know that my position reports to yours on the client-facing "official" org chart, but still: You're not my boss.

I actually report to the same guy that you do, because it works well that well that way, which means: You're not my boss.

I have 1:1's with our boss every week. I'm not going to have them with you, because: You're not my boss.

Quit showing up on my standups and asking my staff for detailed updates. It's not appropriate, because: You're not my boss.

Quit assigning tasks to my team without going through me first. Even if you were my boss, it wouldn't be cool, because it would undermine my authority. What makes it worse, is: You're not my boss.

By the way, at those weekly meetings with our boss, our boss has repeatedly confirmed: You're not my boss.

You have damn near 25 people reporting to you. They are coming to me in increasing numbers, asking if I've heard anything about their performance reviews, or if I know where you're at, and all the other shit that one would normally discuss with one's staff in a 1-on-1. Tell you what, why don't you busy yourself managing them, and staying the fuck off my patch. You're their boss. Not mine.