Old 02-19-2018, 02:45 PM

Donald Trump is a Punk

In the mid-1970s, a thitherto ignored genre of rock bands with a primitive, rowdy, rebellious bent struck a chord with their target audiences and gained worldwide exposure. By and large the musical perpetrators of “punk” rock were just youths, very few if any of whom realistically saw themselves as part of a bigger picture of musical reform/rejuvenation, who simply wanted to play the sort of music they wanted to hear flavored with their own uncensored intensity and emotion. The rise of Punk I believe had less to do with the product, which had been around in some form since at least The Kinks in 1964 or even Elvis ten years prior, than with the market. Although popular bands were putting out some magnificent work in the mid-70s, much of it lacked any real bite reflective of the harsh realities of life facing kids who just saw their older siblings drafted and killed in Vietnam (for example), or who were poised to enter the work force as toilet cleaners in a world beset by economic hardships. The music, while great, wasn’t speaking to their souls. (Not to minimize the concurrent rise of hip hop—I just think its impact, while incredibly important on modern efforts, was differently oriented.)

To appreciate punk rock sometimes requires a temporal and aesthetic adjustment. Never Mind The Bollocks is not exactly a timeless work but it has its allure, especially if the only thing being served over the radio is Captain & Tennille’s “Love Will Keep Us Together” and Wings’ “Silly Love Songs” (Billboard #1 in 1975 & 1976, respectively). At some point, the audience has had enough with the increasingly corporate and deliberately inoffensive product and staggers out into the storm in search of vitamins. The impact of punk on rock music is as undeniable as the impact of a certain family of monkeys abandoning the jungle for life on the savannah. There was much gnashing of hair and rending of teeth as it was officially born, but it was an important step in making it ok for an average kid to buck the mainstream.

So then: Donald Trump. Untalented as a diplomat, obnoxious as a human being, widely despised within his own political party, and held in even lower esteem by others. Everything he does can be seen as an attempt to deliberately deconstruct and burn off the authority of the federal government. Calculating? Probably no more so than the impact a handful of smackheads in 1975 London were calculating in reviving the rebellious spirit of rock n roll (which is to say: not).

So. What are your thoughts on #45 as the Johnny Rotten or Dee Dee Ramone of American politics?
And, assuming we can make the best of the weaknesses candidate/president Trump has shown us to be present in our current political system, what major changes do you believe to be realistic that, maybe 10 years ago, would have been preposterous? And no need to limit this to political mechanics. As this “growth opportunity” unfolds before us, it is becoming clear we all need to reevaluate our consumption of social media and even mainstream media news. How do we grow socially?
Old 02-19-2018, 04:27 PM

When Punk musicians have the power to make life worse for millions of people, and follow through on that power, then it's an apt comparison.
Old 02-19-2018, 04:31 PM
Charter Member

Ivanka Trump says she went through a punk phase, which I'm guessing means she dyed her hair blue for a week and a half and bought a Good Charlotte CD.
Old 02-19-2018, 04:45 PM

I think the OP is recycling old talking points.

Here's what I said last year about this same notion:
Quote:
Originally Posted by Snowboarder Bo View Post
I think that's a really fucking stupid comparison.

Last edited by Snowboarder Bo; 02-19-2018 at 04:46 PM.
Old 02-19-2018, 04:55 PM
Charter Member

Which one was the billionaire real estate mogul/attention whore - Johnny Rotten or Dee Dee Ramone?
Old 02-19-2018, 04:57 PM
Charter Member

Punk was raw and uncouth, Donald Trump is raw and uncouth, therefore Donald Trump is punk rock.

A cat has four legs, a table has four legs, therefore a cat is a table.

I forget the name for this invalid syllogism.
Old 02-19-2018, 04:59 PM

Quote:
I think the OP is recycling old talking points.
Was unaware, thanks for the link. So we should look for nothing positive or insightful to come from this uncomfortable presidency. We simply will not learn and grow from it. Seems a little dark to me.
Old 02-19-2018, 05:09 PM

Quote:
Originally Posted by B-Rad View Post
Was unaware, thanks for the link. So we should look for nothing positive or insightful to come from this uncomfortable presidency. We simply will not learn and grow from it. Seems a little dark to me.
Hopefully, we learn not to elect a similar dipshit in the future.
Old 02-19-2018, 05:13 PM

Quote:
Originally Posted by cochrane View Post
Hopefully, we learn not to elect a similar dipshit in the future.
We won't have to. After he is re-elected, Trump will change the rules and make himself lifetime king. He's got "all the best people" working on how to extend his lifetime.
Old 02-19-2018, 05:21 PM

Quote:
Thanks for letting us know your conclusion; I know appreciate all the information I was able to glean from your post.
Old 02-19-2018, 05:23 PM

Quote:
Originally Posted by gigi View Post
We won't have to. After he is re-elected, Trump will change the rules and make himself lifetime king. He's got "all the best people" working on how to extend his lifetime.
I thought Obama tried to do that. It must have been that birth certificate thing.
Old 02-19-2018, 05:27 PM

Quote:
Thanks for letting us know your conclusion; I know appreciate all the information I was able to glean from your post.
You have been likewise insightful. Thank you for a pleasant exchange.
Old 02-19-2018, 06:39 PM
Charter Member

Many punks had an ethos: that the system needed to be torn down as a path to freedom and social justice. Like the Sex Pistols raised against the monarchy because of its oppression of the working classes, and the Clash wrote intensely political songs criticizing capitalist power.

Trump does have the “tear it down” message, but he fundamentally lacks any purpose for it except to maximize his own self-interest.

To put it another way, the fucked up terrible musician and junkie Sid Vicious had more empathy for the plight of everyday people than Donald Trump ever did. Yes, I’m saying that Sid Vicious is Mother Theresa compared to the President.

Last edited by Ravenman; 02-19-2018 at 06:39 PM.
Old 02-19-2018, 09:56 PM
Charter Member

OTOH if we instead go on and use the non-music definition of "punk"...

Last edited by JRDelirious; 02-19-2018 at 09:56 PM.
Old 02-19-2018, 10:27 PM

Not until he dresses like Minnie Pearl.
Old 02-19-2018, 10:49 PM

Quote:
Originally Posted by Ravenman View Post
To put it another way, the fucked up terrible musician and junkie Sid Vicious had more empathy for the plight of everyday people than Donald Trump ever did. Yes, I’m saying that Sid Vicious is Mother Theresa compared to the President.
The punk era surrounded me for a while. I was in downtown Denver in the late 70's early 80's. I was in my early 20's. I still like The Flying Lizards, though they might not quite be 'punk rock'. Had one friend that was really into the music. Oddly, he was white collar worker in law.

trump is just a simple minded bully. Take away his narcissism, racism and misogyny, and that's what you have. Punk rock is way, way to deep for trump to understand.
Old 02-19-2018, 11:08 PM

I see him more as a spoiled brat than a punk.
Do you know how much money a $Million was when he got that from his dad?!?!?
Old 02-20-2018, 07:36 AM

Seems as fitting a place as any:

Trump's not fit to shovel shit from one place to another!
Friggin' in the rigging,
Friggin' in the rigging...
Old 02-20-2018, 08:28 AM
Charter Member

Quote:
Originally Posted by QuickSilver View Post

Friggin' in the rigging,
Friggin' in the rigging...
And security guards trailed us into the White House
So we asked for Mojo Nixon
They said “He don’t work here”
We said “If you don’t got Mojo Nixon then your Administration could use some fixin’!”
Old 02-20-2018, 09:10 AM

Quote:
Originally Posted by Larry Borgia View Post
Punk was raw and uncouth, Donald Trump is raw and uncouth, therefore Donald Trump is punk rock.
He's a Pet Rock.
Old 02-20-2018, 09:55 AM

Quote:
Originally Posted by JRDelirious View Post
I think you're referring to the "brat" definition, and I wholeheartedly agree. But I was suggesting exactly this with something else in mind. I was thinking of Trump more as a force of nature that creates opportunities for good things to happen, in spite of himself or his intentions. He is a Melkor, intending to sing discord into creation, but instead inadvertently inspires even greater creation from his adversaries.

Aaaand now I've got and image of Melkor wearing tattered leather and forcing a giant safety pin through his cheek.
Old 02-20-2018, 12:26 PM

Quote:
I think you're referring to the "brat" definition, and I wholeheartedly agree. But I was suggesting exactly this with something else in mind. I was thinking of Trump more as a force of nature that creates opportunities for good things to happen, in spite of himself or his intentions. He is a Melkor, intending to sing discord into creation, but instead inadvertently inspires even greater creation from his adversaries.

Aaaand now I've got and image of Melkor wearing tattered leather and forcing a giant safety pin through his cheek.
So you think that trump being trump, is going to make good people rise up to make sure this never happens again? History doesn't support that. We continue to create megalomaniacs and assholes. Some are smarter than others. On this go round, at least we have a stupid one.
Old 02-20-2018, 03:16 PM

Hunter Thompson had the punk rock candidacy. The fulcrum the OP is based on is just too strained.

donald does represent incoherent, monomaniacal self interest in the form of pathological lying. That's not punk to me. People having unintended positive effects, which are seperate from their personhood, doesn't sound indentifiably punk.
Old 02-20-2018, 04:13 PM

Quote:
Originally Posted by QuickSilver View Post

As I mentioned in another thread, ... but I'd enjoy seeing him have to try.
Old 02-20-2018, 04:13 PM
Charter Member

Quote:
Originally Posted by Ravenman View Post
Many punks had an ethos: that the system needed to be torn down as a path to freedom and social justice. Like the Sex Pistols raised against the monarchy because of its oppression of the working classes, and the Clash wrote intensely political songs criticizing capitalist power.
The Sex Pistols were a marketing gimmick Malcolm Mclaren used to sell S&M themed fashion. None of them were sober long enough to form a political ethos.

The Clash were the real deal, though.
Old 02-20-2018, 04:31 PM

Quote:
Originally Posted by JRDelirious View Post
The one that pertains to prison; that's the one I had in mind.
Old 02-20-2018, 05:14 PM
Charter Member

Quote:
Originally Posted by gigi View Post
As I mentioned in another thread, ... but I'd enjoy seeing him have to try.

Don’t you know, he’s got great shovels, the best shovels.
Old 02-20-2018, 06:15 PM
Charter Member

Quote:
Originally Posted by John DiFool View Post
He's a Pet Rock.
Please. My pet rock never lied, and it never tried to take away anyone's insurance.
It also had a longer attention span.
Old 02-20-2018, 06:17 PM

Quote:
Originally Posted by Voyager View Post
Please. My pet rock never lied, and it never tried to take away anyone's insurance.
It also had a longer attention span.
And my pet rock is proud to be bald.

Last edited by gigi; 02-20-2018 at 06:17 PM.