Old 01-27-2018, 10:54 AM
Charter Member

Quote:
Originally Posted by Luciano700 View Post
Well then, I would like to be proved wrong 😁
This is Great Debates. The default expectation is that one offers credible evidence that ones assertions are right. If one is unable/unwilling to do that, one should stay out of Great Debates.
Old 01-27-2018, 11:31 AM

Quote:
Originally Posted by Exapno Mapcase View Post
Behind every great man there's a woman. Doing twice the work for half the pay with none of the glory.

Behind every married man is a great woman picking his pocket.
Old 01-27-2018, 11:40 AM
Charter Member
Charter Member

Quote:
Fair enough I understand these aren't really effective examples..
If you have effective examples, why didn't you lead with them?
If the only examples you have are (in your own words) ineffective, then you have just defeated your own premise.
Old 01-27-2018, 11:57 AM
BANNED

Quote:
Originally Posted by Czarcasm View Post
If you have effective examples, why didn't you lead with them?
If the only examples you have are (in your own words) ineffective, then you have just defeated your own premise.
It seems you didn't read my other posts.
Old 01-27-2018, 12:04 PM
BANNED

Also yeah, Asian and white women in particular have outgraduated men for the last 12 years I heard.
Black men on the other hand are the biggest demographic to drop out school.
Old 01-27-2018, 12:04 PM
Charter Member
Charter Member

Quote:
It seems you didn't read my other posts.
It got worse. What would you say is your best example in this thread?
Old 01-27-2018, 12:06 PM
BANNED

Quote:
Originally Posted by Czarcasm View Post
It got worse. What would you say is your best example in this thread?
Huh????
Old 01-27-2018, 01:43 PM

If it were a woman-dominated world, men would have to wear high heels and women would be expected to wear flats.

I rest my case.
Old 01-27-2018, 01:55 PM

Quote:
Huh????
Your inference, that Czarcasm has not read your later posts, appears to be unfounded. You imply that you have presented substance. He responds that you have yet to do so, trending more away from it than toward it.
Old 01-27-2018, 04:07 PM

Quote:
Definitely lol.
Quote:
Huh????
lol and huh, appear to be your best contributions thus far to a hypothesis you put forward but have yet to support.

Quote:
Originally Posted by Luciano700
Also yeah, Asian and white women in particular have outgraduated men for the last 12 years I heard.
Black men on the other hand are the biggest demographic to drop out school.
"Also yeah"...? What does this have to do with 'male world domination'? Can you connect your thoughts into something cohesive, or is this just a stream of semi-consciousness?
Old 01-27-2018, 04:51 PM

Men control much of the power in the world, but women still control 100% of the vagina.

It's not as male-dominated as it once was, but there are still more make CEOs and executives and politicians and other people who wield actual power.

FWIW, I hang out with my son all the time. I also work from home a lot, so I get to drop him off and pick him up from school from time to time. A lot of other fathers don't get to do that though, because they have to go to their office.

Quote:
Originally Posted by AI Proofreader View Post
There are. Biology has accounted for the spectacularly stupid ways in which men get themselves killed, by having 107 male births for every 100 female births:
That's less than a 1% difference. Biologically, you don't need an equal ratio of men to women.

Last edited by msmith537; 01-27-2018 at 04:51 PM.
Old 01-27-2018, 04:57 PM

If it was male-dominated world, why does the male have to wear the condom?
Old 01-27-2018, 05:03 PM
Charter Member

Quote:
Originally Posted by msmith537 View Post
That's less than a 1% difference. Biologically, you don't need an equal ratio of men to women.
No 107 men to 100 women is a 7% difference if you mean how many more men than women. Or it's a 3.4% difference if you mean 51.7% boys are born vs 48.3%. Or it's a 1.7% difference if you mean 1.7% more than half (though that seems an awkward use of difference).

I don't see how to get it to less than 1%.
Old 01-27-2018, 05:47 PM
BANNED

The thread is getting unserious and I think some of you are missing the point.

You can't just claim right off the bat men dominate the whole world to the point where women appear in nothing or don't get the attention.

And refer to the advertising example, here is an example of the principle regarding men in advertising https://youtu.be/dFZat3oIbhU
Old 01-27-2018, 06:07 PM

getting unserious ?
Old 01-27-2018, 06:27 PM

Quote:
The thread is getting unserious and I think some of you are missing the point.

You can't just claim right off the bat men dominate the whole world to the point where women appear in nothing or don't get the attention.

And refer to the advertising example, here is an example of the principle regarding men in advertising https://youtu.be/dFZat3oIbhU
Domination is not a zero sum game. No one is claiming that women have no power or influence, just that men historically and currently have more power and influence.
The opinions expressed here are my own, and do not represent any other persons, organizations, spirits, thinking machines, hive minds or other sentient beings on this world or any adjacent dimensions in the multiverse.
Old 01-27-2018, 06:32 PM
BANNED

Quote:
Originally Posted by DrFidelius View Post
Domination is not a zero sum game. No one is claiming that women have no power or influence, just that men historically and currently have more power and influence.
Governmentally and economically yes, always have.
Old 01-27-2018, 06:35 PM
Charter Member

Quote:
Sure we can. What's to stop us? What stopped you from posting your, um, non-serious OP?
Old 01-27-2018, 06:46 PM

Quote:
Governmentally and economically yes, always have.
And socially. And religiously. And artistically. And sexually.
Old 01-27-2018, 06:53 PM

Quote:
[snip] ... You can't just claim right off the bat men dominate the whole world to the point where women appear in nothing or don't get the attention ... [snap]
Things have changed in the past fifty years ... remember that Jackie Kennedy looked straight into the camera during the 1960 Presidential campaign and stated her only job was to serve her husband and that she was nothing without him ... JFK carried the woman's vote that year ...

How many great Hollywood movies have only one woman in them ... Casablanca, The Quiet Man, etc etc etc ...

Only 11 woman served in the US Senate during this country's first 200 years ... that's half the number currently sitting ... and 22 out of 100 is still a national disgrace IMEIO ...

There's places in this world right now where women are never treated as adults ... Until very recently, women couldn't vote, couldn't drive and couldn't be seen outside their homes without being accompanied by their husband/father/brother ... or the police will cut their heads off right there in the street ...

There's a billion Roman Catholics in the world who honestly believe women are completely unqualified to be priests ...

Even I'm old enough to remember when a man's wife was considered his personal property ... and if he wanted to beat her to death then that was his own affair ... and none of ours ...

Is this the man's fault? ... I don't know ... ask all the women who voted for The Donald ...

What Dead Heads think {YouTube - 8'44"} ...

There were more than just one female character in The Lord of the Rings ... but at no time in the movies or books did two women have a conversation ... think about it ... women never talked to each other in Middle Earth ...

Last edited by watchwolf49; 01-27-2018 at 06:54 PM. Reason: Changed a few ellipsis into commas so no one would think I'm weird ...
Old 01-27-2018, 07:04 PM

Quote:
Originally Posted by Nava View Post
Even safety belts are usually placed in a way that easily makes them cut into a woman's neck, which I'm reasonably sure most of you will agree is not terribly safe; it is also quite uncomfortable.
This makes no sense. A safety belt that would easily cut into a woman's neck would also easily cut into a man's neck. There's no difference in the way the seatbelt goes over my wife's shoulder than it does mine. None.
Old 01-27-2018, 07:07 PM

Quote:
Originally Posted by Doug K. View Post
This makes no sense. A safety belt that would easily cut into a woman's neck would also easily cut into a man's neck. There's no difference in the way the seatbelt goes over my wife's shoulder than it does mine. None.
Same with your breasts?
Old 01-27-2018, 07:18 PM

If this was a male-dominated world, we wouldn't have tiddy bears!
Old 01-27-2018, 07:19 PM

Quote:
Originally Posted by Doug K. View Post
Average height of adults in the US:

Men: 5 ft 9 1⁄2 in. Women: 5 ft 4 in.

That 5 inch difference seems like it would be just about right to put the belt right across the neck. But there are short men, too. In a male-dominated world I'd think they would be given a little more consideration.
Old 01-27-2018, 07:21 PM

In a male dominated world ... advertisers would use nothing but young beautiful sexy half-naked women in their copy ...
Old 01-27-2018, 08:19 PM
BANNED

Quote:
Originally Posted by watchwolf49 View Post
Things have changed in the past fifty years ... remember that Jackie Kennedy looked straight into the camera during the 1960 Presidential campaign and stated her only job was to serve her husband and that she was nothing without him ... JFK carried the woman's vote that year ...

How many great Hollywood movies have only one woman in them ... Casablanca, The Quiet Man, etc etc etc ...

Only 11 woman served in the US Senate during this country's first 200 years ... that's half the number currently sitting ... and 22 out of 100 is still a national disgrace IMEIO ...

There's places in this world right now where women are never treated as adults ... Until very recently, women couldn't vote, couldn't drive and couldn't be seen outside their homes without being accompanied by their husband/father/brother ... or the police will cut their heads off right there in the street ...

There's a billion Roman Catholics in the world who honestly believe women are completely unqualified to be priests ...

Even I'm old enough to remember when a man's wife was considered his personal property ... and if he wanted to beat her to death then that was his own affair ... and none of ours ...

Is this the man's fault? ... I don't know ... ask all the women who voted for The Donald ...

What Dead Heads think {YouTube - 8'44"} ...

There were more than just one female character in The Lord of the Rings ... but at no time in the movies or books did two women have a conversation ... think about it ... women never talked to each other in Middle Earth ...
But compare that to the opression men of color faced through history.
for black men they make up the majority of people in prison, and it aint even close, not to mention the history of segregation, lynching, jim crow, and the racial wage gap..sexism is not nearly as big an issue in america as racism

Black men still are struggling to have good graduation rates as well and still have a very low life expectancy.

Women don't forcefully want to be in politics anyways

Say to the Sharia Law advocates

Who the heck wants to see gender-specific films anwyays?

Yet most abuse shelters only allow women in in the West.

Heck, The vote was consolidated to the household back then, usual heads of the household were believed to be them men, or so I'm told

and yet still women's suffrage began in 1919, black men by and large could not vote, at least in the south..that is where the voting rights ac of the 60s came through.

I mentioned in the OP that it was at its strongest around those times so not sure why you brought up Lord of the Rings example

Last edited by Luciano700; 01-27-2018 at 08:22 PM.
Old 01-28-2018, 12:31 AM

I recognize the words but I'll be damned if I can string them into a coherent thought process.
Old 01-28-2018, 01:23 AM

Quote:
Men are often portrayed stupidly in television commercials. I always figured it was indicative that women make the majority of household purchasing decisions.
Old 01-28-2018, 01:36 AM

The obligatory James Brown.
Old 01-28-2018, 01:42 AM

Quote:
Originally Posted by QuickSilver View Post
I recognize the words but I'll be damned if I can string them into a coherent thought process.
+1
Old 01-28-2018, 04:34 AM

Quote:
Originally Posted by QuickSilver View Post
The obligatory James Brown.
I think the Residents are more in line with the OP.
Old 01-28-2018, 04:38 AM

Quote:
Actually, it's a 7% difference. I hope you're better at calculating your degrees of advance, oh Mr Mighty Project Manager!
Old 01-28-2018, 08:35 AM

So if I'm understanding correctly, women are vastly underrepresented in all areas of society. They are demonstrably wildly outnumbered by men at every level of government, economics, business, and science.

But that's only because they want to be.

Am I getting the (for lack of a better word let's call it) argument?

Last edited by andros; 01-28-2018 at 08:36 AM.
Old 01-28-2018, 09:21 AM

Quote:
Originally Posted by Robot Arm View Post
Men are often portrayed stupidly in television commercials. I always figured it was indicative that women make the majority of household purchasing decisions.
People are often portrayed stupidly in ads. When's the last time you saw an ad where a man was too stupid to drain pasta to the horror of his family, or was a 50-something who had only just been taught by a doctor that nerves are what carries pain signals from the brain?
Old 01-28-2018, 11:36 AM
Charter Member

Quote:
Originally Posted by andros View Post
So if I'm understanding correctly, women are vastly underrepresented in all areas of society. They are demonstrably wildly outnumbered by men at every level of government, economics, business, and science.

But that's only because they want to be.

Am I getting the (for lack of a better word let's call it) argument?
No, he's saying it's because they deserve to be.
Old 01-28-2018, 11:39 AM
Charter Member

Quote:
No, you are not. I'm 67 and this wasn't true at any time in my life and wouldn't have been true in my parent's lifetime.
Old 01-28-2018, 12:43 PM
Charter Member

Maybe "wife," "beat" and "death" were all meant figuratively.
Old 01-28-2018, 12:44 PM
BANNED

Quote:
Originally Posted by Vinyl Turnip View Post
Maybe "wife," "beat" and "death" were all meant figuratively.
One word: Islam
Old 01-28-2018, 12:50 PM
Arms of Steel, Leg of Jello
Charter Member

Quote:
One word: Islam
Not exactly unknown in Christianity.
Old 01-28-2018, 01:27 PM
Charter Member

Quote:
This being the Dope, the thread wouldn't be complete without someone citing the exception that proves the rule. In Chapter 8, "The Houses of Healing" from Book 5, there's Ioreth talking to another woman.

"'Well, now! Who would have believed it?' said Ioreth to a woman who stood beside her. 'The weed is better than I thought'..."

There are other passages where Ioreth talks with her kinswoman about Aragorn. But here she is talking about the weed, so yes: (who would have believed it?), The Lord of the Rings just squeaks by the Bechdel Test.
Old 01-28-2018, 02:14 PM

Quote:
Originally Posted by Morgenstern View Post
If it was male-dominated world, why does the male have to wear the condom?
You can throw the condom out the window, provided you are prepared to take up pregnancy and childbirth, breastfeeding and total responsibility for the children for, I don't know, the rest of your LIFE!!

(I don't mean you personally ,Morgenstern, just men in general)
Old 01-28-2018, 06:13 PM

Quote:
Originally Posted by elfkin477 View Post
People are often portrayed stupidly in ads. When's the last time you saw an ad where a man was too stupid to drain pasta to the horror of his family, or was a 50-something who had only just been taught by a doctor that nerves are what carries pain signals from the brain?
Sure, it's a staple of advertising to show how difficult things are without their wonderful product. And it happens with both sexes, but it seems more common and egregious with men. When was the last time you saw an ad where a woman hit her head on a window because she was mesmerized by a potato chip?
Old 01-28-2018, 09:22 PM
Mod Rocker

Quote:
So, I like this good ole argument, and I just want to say the way people make it out to be is truly an exaggeration.
Who has said something that you find to be an exaggeration? We need real evidence that something exaggerated has actually been said by some large number of people, not silly claims with no substance. (One can find any number of silly claims in the world--yours among them. If you want a debate, show that there is a serious group holding an explicit opinion, not cheesy lines from old movies.)

Quote:
Here are my arguments

If it was a men's world truly, there would be more men than women
Dumb idea. there are a few more women than men because men tend to do things to get killed at a higher rate than do women.

Quote:
If it was truly a men's world, there would be more son-father couples around
What does this even mean?

Quote:
If it was truly a men's world, men would be used more in advertising

If it was truly a men's world, we would have gender neutral marketing then for a lot of things[Soaps, body wash, shampoo, etc]
Dumb assumption. Women are used more in advertising on the grounds that they are more attractive to the power wielding men. Your claim does not even make sense.

Quote:
If it was truly a male dominated world, there would be more female to male transitions out there.
Do you have any idea how many of either there actually are? What are the statistics for each? What are the statistics for how many men or women are born with a condition that makes any change desirable? Without real numbers, your claim is just blowing smoke.

Quote:
If it was really a men's world, then men would barely have to put any effort into attraction..
More silliness. The ration of men to women is not such that no man would have to work for companionship. And your nonsense ignores that fact that men do put as much effort into efforts at attraction. Since men perceive that women are attracted by power and wealth, (instead of physical beauty), that is where men invest their energy.

You claim to want an argument, then you post this ignorant and unthinking utter nonsense? This looks like you wanted something different than a debate.
Old 01-28-2018, 09:40 PM
BANNED

Quote:
Originally Posted by tomndebb View Post
Who has said something that you find to be an exaggeration? We need real evidence that something exaggerated has actually been said by some large number of people, not silly claims with no substance. (One can find any number of silly claims in the world--yours among them. If you want a debate, show that there is a serious group holding an explicit opinion, not cheesy lines from old movies.)

Dumb idea. there are a few more women than men because men tend to do things to get killed at a higher rate than do women.

What does this even mean?

Dumb assumption. Women are used more in advertising on the grounds that they are more attractive to the power wielding men. Your claim does not even make sense.

Do you have any idea how many of either there actually are? What are the statistics for each? What are the statistics for how many men or women are born with a condition that makes any change desirable? Without real numbers, your claim is just blowing smoke.

More silliness. The ration of men to women is not such that no man would have to work for companionship. And your nonsense ignores that fact that men do put as much effort into efforts at attraction. Since men perceive that women are attracted by power and wealth, (instead of physical beauty), that is where men invest their energy.

You claim to want an argument, then you post this ignorant and unthinking utter nonsense? This looks like you wanted something different than a debate.
Well I already explain more along the way at least.

I think as far the transgender stuff goes, I believe the acceptance plays a role in difference.
Old 01-29-2018, 12:47 AM

Quote:
No, you are not. I'm 67 and this wasn't true at any time in my life and wouldn't have been true in my parent's lifetime.
Not in the US. However in Louisiana in 1978, my new wife - who was making far more money than me - could not get a check cashing card at the grocery because the Head and Master Law said that I owned all the property in the family, and she had no say in its disposition.
It got repealed, but not without complaints by some legislators who said that got married under that law and they damn well expected things to stay that way.
Old 01-29-2018, 04:15 AM

Quote:
Men control much of the power in the world, but women still control 100% of the vagina.
So, male-on-female rape doesn't exist in your world?
Old 01-29-2018, 05:34 AM

Quote:
I am turning 50 in March. In Spain, while she wasn't officially considered the husband's "property" in the way a cow or a house would be (she couldn't be bought and sold), the turning point that made the country realize that la maté porque era mía (I killed 'cos she was mine) was not acceptable was the murder of Ana Orantes in December of 1997.

That's 20 years ago.

Last edited by Nava; 01-29-2018 at 05:38 AM.
Old 01-29-2018, 05:46 AM

Quote:
Originally Posted by OldGuy View Post
No 107 men to 100 women is a 7% difference if you mean how many more men than women. Or it's a 3.4% difference if you mean 51.7% boys are born vs 48.3%. Or it's a 1.7% difference if you mean 1.7% more than half (though that seems an awkward use of difference).

I don't see how to get it to less than 1%.
I meant 0.7% (which is incorrect).

And it's actually worse in China (around 115 to 100) thanks to their one child policy.

Evolutionarily speaking, I still wonder why it's around half.

Quote:
Originally Posted by MrDibble View Post
So, male-on-female rape doesn't exist in your world?
Um...no, actually.

But I get your point.

Quote:
Originally Posted by Nava View Post
Actually, it's a 7% difference. I hope you're better at calculating your degrees of advance, oh Mr Mighty Project Manager!
I mostly just buy the team donuts and check schedules.
Old 01-29-2018, 10:17 AM

Try living in the Middle East or India or any number of places for a year and then come back and submit a report on your experiences.
Old 01-29-2018, 11:41 AM
BANNED

Quote:
Originally Posted by Jasmine View Post
Try living in the Middle East or India or any number of places for a year and then come back and submit a report on your experiences.
Someone didn't read the thread and my opening post throughly.