Old 10-18-2018, 10:20 AM
Charter Member

Sounds like they're desperate for another revenue stream.
Old 10-18-2018, 10:28 AM

Every time this thread is bumped I check in to see if they've officially closed for business.

But nope, they're still somehow kicking!

(Not for nothing but I'm loving my A-list still)
Old 10-23-2018, 01:04 AM
Elephant Whisperer

And today I got an e-mail from Movie Pass offering me two months of Movie Pass for free if I switch my cellphone carrier to T-Mobile. Which I'm not going to do.
Old 10-23-2018, 03:07 AM
Charter Member

Quote:
Originally Posted by Sir T-Cups View Post
Every time this thread is bumped I check in to see if they've officially closed for business.

I'm just amazed at how this has become one of the most popular threads I've ever started in two decades on this board.
Old 10-23-2018, 08:37 AM
Charter Member

I don't know about anyone else, but when I see this thread rise to the top of the page, I open it just to see if the company finally collapsed.
Old 10-23-2018, 09:13 AM
Domo Arigato Mister Moderato

Me, as well.

Everyone loves a good, slow drama twisting in the wind.
Old 10-23-2018, 11:42 AM

Quote:
Originally Posted by Sir T-Cups View Post

(Not for nothing but I'm loving my A-list still)
Quote:
Originally Posted by Dewey Finn View Post
I don't know about anyone else, but when I see this thread rise to the top of the page, I open it just to see if the company finally collapsed.
Quote:
Originally Posted by Jonathan Chance View Post
Me, as well.

Everyone loves a good, slow drama twisting in the wind.
Well it's sink or swim now; I'm gonna go ahead and boldly predict that this stone will sink.
Quote:
MoviePass, the struggling discount movie ticket subscription service, is being spun off by the company that owns it.

Helios and Matheson Analytics Inc. did not try to obscure the reasons why on Tuesday. MoviePass has become a burden.
Quote:
“Since we acquired control of MoviePass in December 2017, HMNY largely has become synonymous with MoviePass in the public’s eye, leading us to believe that our shareholders and the market perception of HMNY might benefit from separating our movie-related assets from the rest of our company,” said Chairman and CEO Ted Farnsworth in a prepared statement.

Shares of Helios and Matheson, which is a data company, have been punished all year long.

MoviePass Entertainment is expected to list on the Nasdaq or an alternate trading market.

Last edited by Snowboarder Bo; 10-23-2018 at 11:43 AM.
Old 10-23-2018, 11:54 AM

I saw HMNY's stock was trending yesterday and was up like 20% or something, so I checked it out to see if they're coming back. Yeah, it got up to like 2 and a half cents per share. Somehow it's still listed on NASDAQ. The parent company wants to distance itself from Movie Pass and spin it off as its own publicly traded entity.
Old 10-23-2018, 11:54 AM
Corellian Nerfherder

From Snowboarder Bo's link:

Quote:
MoviePass Entertainment is expected to list on the Nasdaq or an alternate trading market.
At current stock prices for the parent company, I imagine that you could get 10 shares of MoviePass stock in a pack, along with a stick of bubble gum, at your local drug store.

Last edited by kenobi 65; 10-23-2018 at 11:55 AM.
Old 10-24-2018, 01:37 AM
Elephant Whisperer

Movie Pass is like one of those long vehicles in the movies, the ones that almost go off the road and over a cliff, almost, and just teeter there on the edge, and no one dare breathe lest they make it go over.
Old 10-24-2018, 01:43 AM

I really don't understand how they're still operating. I get that they only put out so many tickets per day, but are they really operating even with their membership fees? They had to take out a 20% interest 4 day $5m loan just to stay afloat a few months ago - but what did they get that allowed them to continue at that point? There was no big stock buy (their stock is worthless anyway) and no outside financing was announced. So how were they desperate to keep operations going for a few days, and still here they are a few months later? Baffling.
Old 10-24-2018, 11:19 AM
Charter Member

I have to wonder not just how, but why? It seems like they must be digging a deeper and deeper hole.

I suspect that if they just shut it down and declare bankruptcy some sort of illegality will become evident or at the very least they'll open themselves up to some major lawsuits.
Old 10-24-2018, 01:04 PM
Corellian Nerfherder

Quote:
Originally Posted by davidm View Post
I have to wonder not just how, but why? It seems like they must be digging a deeper and deeper hole.

I suspect that if they just shut it down and declare bankruptcy some sort of illegality will become evident or at the very least they'll open themselves up to some major lawsuits.
Yeah, I'm really wondering what's going on, that they're still trying to tread water, months after it became clear that their business model wasn't sustainable. I have to think it's either:

a) They're somehow still holding out hope that some white knight will drop a bunch of money in their laps, in order to get access to their data on members (and, thus, the investors will get back some of their money), or

b) There's something hinky in their finances, and they're trying to get as much money in as they can to pay something off before everything finally goes down the drain.
Old 10-25-2018, 01:23 PM

Quote:
Originally Posted by kenobi 65 View Post
Yeah, I'm really wondering what's going on, that they're still trying to tread water, months after it became clear that their business model wasn't sustainable. I have to think it's either:

a) They're somehow still holding out hope that some white knight will drop a bunch of money in their laps, in order to get access to their data on members (and, thus, the investors will get back some of their money), or

b) There's something hinky in their finances, and they're trying to get as much money in as they can to pay something off before everything finally goes down the drain.
I mean, it's been clear to anyone with a modicum of sense that their business model was pure fantasy from the get-go. A few months ago is just when the dumb money ran out. None of the claims they made were ever plausible. The whole concept was stupid and never had even the barest chance of working. The idea that marketing data on what movies that people who have their movie tickets massively subsidized see would ever be worth the bits it's stored in is ridiculous.

There was maybe the barest slimmest chance that the major theater chains were totally asleep at the wheel and would let MoviePass burn money at a tremendous rate to insert themselves as a middleman. But that ship sailed before this thread started.

Which all points to b. There's some fraud going on, and they're shuffling the deck chairs around as long as they can to obfuscate it.
Old 10-25-2018, 04:09 PM
Charter Member

Maybe they've put a bunch of money into a Robert De Niro flick and are about to release it after first making sure that he's on everyone's mind (and Trump and Russian mob money are somehow involved).

In case anyone is wondering, no I don't believe that, and yes it is a joke.
Old 10-30-2018, 07:52 PM
Charter Member

After several days in a row in which there was effectively nothing for me to watch, I cancelled.
Old 10-30-2018, 10:59 PM

Movie Pass was a great deal since I joined in November of last year. That is until say August when things went downhill fast, at this point it's not worth it for people to join. For those of us who are already members, the three movies a month free is a good deal. After that you will be able to watch a movie after 2-5 bucks discount. The good news is that there is no price hike(for now), it's still $9.99.

The bad news is that most days when you click on a theater in Your vicinity, you'll see a notice saying that there is no screenings at that theater that day. Which is not true. Or it will show only one screening, or a screening that is in 3D, which defeats the purpose as you can't use it since the app does not support 3D movies.

Before when you clicked on a theater, it showed all movies showing that day, now it it will show one or two. Because of Movie Pass I also watched foreign, obscure or sometimes old movies that were released decades ago at theaters in Laemmle. Now most days on the app, Laemmle is empty. So I have to visit their site to see what movies are showing.

Movie Pass is frustrating now but you can still watch three films a month by just paying 10 bucks.
Old 10-31-2018, 01:18 AM
Elephant Whisperer

Quote:
Originally Posted by Nema98 View Post
The good news is that there is no price hike(for now), it's still $9.99.
A trifling difference, but just to mention, we pay $9.95. I told myself if we go two calendar months in a row without being able to use it, then we'll cancel. But we've still lost a little these past two months, as we used it once each month, and with the Senior discount at the theater we went to, the tickets would have been $8.25. Still, close enough considering how much it did save us early on.
Old 10-31-2018, 02:12 AM

As far as I can tell they're obligated to keep it running because of all the subscriptions they sold to Costco members. I have not been converted to a three movie a month plan, if I look around I can get to a film every single night. Have a couple of theaters I can get to that do e-ticketing, and I can see anything they have listed. The rest of the time I get whatever films they're currently promoting.
Old 11-04-2018, 12:34 AM

Movie password for my wife and myself today, so it works on occasion for some people. I'm grandfathered in for the unlimited due to my Costco membership, and she's on the three films a month plan, but they have some films that they have an investment in listed as bonus films and that's the one she used tonight.
Old 11-06-2018, 10:55 AM

MoviePass just sent me a replacement debit card, explaining that they have a different credit card processor.

You think?
Old 11-08-2018, 11:30 PM
Elephant Whisperer

Went to see What They Had today, showing at only one theater. I checked two days ago, and MP was allowing it. Today, no. Grrr.
Old 11-11-2018, 01:37 AM
Elephant Whisperer

This morning, I logged into Movie Pass and saw the one movie available with it in all of Honolulu was Can You Ever Forgive Me? It's showing at only one (1) theater here. But that's okay, because it's not far from Waikiki, and this was the film we really wanted to see. So off we go, we get to the theater ... and suddenly Movie Pass has a problem. Neither the wife nor I could log in. We both kept getting an error message that said to try again later. We kept trying for an hour, but no go. So we just went ahead and paid for our tickets.

Movie Pass previously saved us a lot of money, so we're trying to be patient. But I think it won't be much longer until we cancel our accounts.
Old 11-11-2018, 02:18 AM
Corellian Nerfherder

Did any of you who have a MoviePass account get an apology email from their "Director of Barketing" this past week? This sounds truly strange.

https://www.businessinsider.com/movi...om-dog-2018-11
Old 11-11-2018, 02:24 PM
Elephant Whisperer

Quote:
Originally Posted by kenobi 65 View Post
Did any of you who have a MoviePass account get an apology email from their "Director of Barketing" this past week? This sounds truly strange.

https://www.businessinsider.com/movi...om-dog-2018-11
Yes. And MP has been receiving a lot of flak for its flippancy.