Old 02-17-2019, 11:13 AM

Quote:
Originally Posted by nearwildheaven View Post
I have a friend who will not eat bananas. She'll eat banana bread, canned bananas in fruit cocktail, banana-flavored candy, etc. but the peel and eat variety? Nope. For her, it's a texture thing.
I'm somewhat similar -- enjoy most "banana-ish" products available in temperate Western countries; but have no enthusiasm for fresh bananas plain and simple ("peel and eat", as said). For me, not about texture -- I will eat them plain-and-simple, but don't seek them out: just find their taste faint / insipid / dull.

I gather that this is, in part anyway, to do with happenings now long ago -- I forget the "names of strains" concerned; but, bananas as grown where they grow them, used to have a fuller and more flavoursome taste, than obtains nowadays: some catastrophic disease almost wiped the species out -- in dramatic circumstances, it was possible to save things in the nick of time, by substituting a different strain of banana, unaffected by the disease but markedly less flavour-ful. Banana flavouring for sundry things, has and retains the taste of the all-but-extinct "old type" banana; not so, though, with the fresh fruit.
Old 02-17-2019, 05:14 PM

The whole “cilantro tastes like soap” thing may even be genetic from what I’ve read. Cilantro to me tastes fresh, “green” and a little peppery, (like basil tastes fresh and licorice-y)but my wife’s cousin tastes cilantro as soapy, so lots of people must share this.
Old 02-17-2019, 06:42 PM

Nutmeg -- it is just nasty.
Old 02-19-2019, 09:33 AM

Quote:
Originally Posted by edspellman View Post
The whole “cilantro tastes like soap” thing may even be genetic from what I’ve read. Cilantro to me tastes fresh, “green” and a little peppery, (like basil tastes fresh and licorice-y)but my wife’s cousin tastes cilantro as soapy, so lots of people must share this.
I wonder if it's more of a conditioned thing; Cilantro used to be an extremely strong unpleasant "soapy" unpleasant taste back 10 years ago or so, but it's grown to be a lot less obnoxious now. Not pleasant, but not really unpleasant either. I mean, I don't go sprinkling chopped cilantro on stuff like it was parsley, but it doesn't really bother me when it's done that way, like say in an Indian restaurant.
Old 02-20-2019, 11:45 AM

Have Oreos been mentioned? Because,Oreos. And Hydrox. I think they're boring and a waste of calories for the day, at least the chocolate. After all these years I feel if I'm going to eat cookies I deserve something better.... I kind of like the lemon or key lime, though, if I had a choice.
Old 02-23-2019, 09:32 PM

OMG fish paste sandwiches. And fish pickle sandwiches. Whose evil mother thought those up?
Old 02-26-2019, 03:22 PM

Avocado - tastes like green mush.

Radishes, beets, cilantro (definitely tastes soapy, probably Lifebuoy), licorice along with any anise-like flavor except basil, and coconut, especially the texture of shredded coconut. It's like trying to eat a torn-up corrugated cardboard box, I can't even swallow the stuff.

Olives are another texture turn-off, but I love olive oil and cook with it almost every day. But slick squishy green or black olives? No thanks. Not even sliced and on a pizza.

But I love a lot of things mentioned here as common dislikes. Hated mushrooms as a kid and then did a complete 180 and became addicted to them as a teenager. Asparagus? I can never get enough of the stuff and scarf it down right out of the steamer basket. Red bell peppers - ditto.
Old 02-26-2019, 04:02 PM

Bananas. It's not the taste so much as the smell that turns my stomach, especially the smell of very ripe bananas.

Also ice cream. Can't understand the enthusiasm for it. It is so cold you can't taste anything except intense sweetness which I find too sickly. Also I have sensitive teeth and anything very cold really hurts!