Reply
 
Thread Tools Display Modes
  #51  
Old 03-14-2020, 05:22 PM
Aspenglow's Avatar
Aspenglow is offline
Member
 
Join Date: Jul 2014
Location: Oregon
Posts: 4,955
Quote:
Originally Posted by bobot View Post
Was their problem with it that it ddn't include American taxpayer wall funding dollars?
It didn't include the payroll tax cut meant to further undermine Medicare and SSI that the horrorshow in the Oval Office wants so bad.
  #52  
Old 03-14-2020, 10:59 PM
Little Nemo is online now
Charter Member
 
Join Date: Dec 1999
Location: Western New York
Posts: 86,427
Considering that every thing that's going wrong is Obama's fault, I think it's only fair that we punish him appropriately. He should have to resume the presidency and have to stay there until all of the problems are fixed. It's only fair and I think he'd learn a valuable lesson about responsibility. And Mr Trump, who's done a great job, should be able to take a well-deserved break.
  #53  
Old 03-15-2020, 12:53 AM
elucidator is offline
Charter Member
 
Join Date: Mar 2000
Location: Further
Posts: 60,689
So that rich Chinese guy wants to donate 500 thousand testing kits? Kinda thought some blubbering thanks would have been appropriate, under the circumstances. Has Darth Shit-for-brains even mentioned it? Any American companies volunteered to match it?

Last edited by elucidator; 03-15-2020 at 12:54 AM.
  #54  
Old 03-15-2020, 02:12 AM
Superdude's Avatar
Superdude is online now
Member
 
Join Date: Feb 2001
Location: The Fortress of Solidude
Posts: 11,133
Quote:
Originally Posted by Damuri Ajashi View Post
In a moderately bad scenario, 100 million people get sick and half a million people die.
Yeah, but those are Democrats, not REAL people, so it's okay.
__________________
It's chaos. Be kind.
  #55  
Old 03-15-2020, 03:02 AM
RioRico is offline
Suspended
 
Join Date: Sep 2019
Location: beyond cell service
Posts: 3,193
Quote:
Originally Posted by Superdude View Post
Yeah, but those are Democrats, not REAL people, so it's okay.
Sedentary older people with pre-existing conditions and bad lifestyles? That's the Fox audience. All the booger-eating bright young Nazis conservatives watch Breitfart now that Fox has turned on the God-Emperor. Yes, Trump Youth will live!
  #56  
Old 03-15-2020, 05:34 AM
JKellyMap's Avatar
JKellyMap is offline
Member
 
Join Date: Mar 2005
Location: Wisconsin
Posts: 10,476
Quote:
Originally Posted by Little Nemo View Post
Considering that every thing that's going wrong is Obama's fault, I think it's only fair that we punish him appropriately. He should have to resume the presidency and have to stay there until all of the problems are fixed. It's only fair and I think he'd learn a valuable lesson about responsibility. And Mr Trump, who's done a great job, should be able to take a well-deserved break.
Stealing.
  #57  
Old 03-15-2020, 08:30 AM
Horatius is offline
Guest
 
Join Date: Dec 2002
Location: Ottawa, ON
Posts: 1,464
Quote:
Originally Posted by guizot View Post
To be fair, Trump does take responsibility when good things happen--especially when he had nothing to do with making them happen.
Quote:
Originally Posted by orcenio View Post
A few months ago he took credit for the 100th anniversary of Woman's suffrage.

He's taking credit for population growth.


Quote:
Originally Posted by Little Nemo View Post
Considering that every thing that's going wrong is Obama's fault, I think it's only fair that we punish him appropriately. He should have to resume the presidency and have to stay there until all of the problems are fixed. It's only fair and I think he'd learn a valuable lesson about responsibility. And Mr Trump, who's done a great job, should be able to take a well-deserved break.

Once again, Black Man Given Nation's Worst Job.


Quote:
Originally Posted by RioRico View Post
Sedentary older people with pre-existing conditions and bad lifestyles? That's the Fox audience. All the booger-eating bright young Nazis conservatives watch Breitfart now that Fox has turned on the God-Emperor. Yes, Trump Youth will live!

Anyone who would let themselves die of Democratic Hoax is obviously a RINO!
__________________
Where am I going, and why am I in this handbasket?
  #58  
Old 03-15-2020, 09:37 AM
Tatterdemalion is offline
Member
 
Join Date: Apr 2009
Posts: 871
I thought RINO viruses were not usually deadly.
  #59  
Old 03-15-2020, 10:18 AM
Happy Lendervedder's Avatar
Happy Lendervedder is online now
Guest
 
Join Date: Dec 2001
Location: Michigan
Posts: 15,780
Quote:
Originally Posted by Tatterdemalion View Post
I thought RINO viruses were not usually deadly.
They're not booing you, they're saying ah-choooooo.
  #60  
Old 03-15-2020, 12:58 PM
CalMeacham's Avatar
CalMeacham is offline
Charter Member
 
Join Date: May 2000
Location: Massachusetts
Posts: 45,621
Quote:
Originally Posted by ThelmaLou View Post
He has said many times that he does not plan, he reacts. And we're seeing how well that's working out.
Gary Larson cartoon caption: "Stimulus, response; Stimulus, response. Don't you ever THINK?"
__________________
The makers of the GoPro have to come out with a model called the "Quid"
  #61  
Old 03-16-2020, 03:30 PM
cmosdes is offline
Guest
 
Join Date: Mar 2002
Posts: 2,055
It should not be a surprise to anyone he is completely denying having any responsibility for this. Not because he is human scum, but because the one time he tried it bit him hard. Imagine how much worse it would be if he took ANY responsibility for people dying.

The first government shutdown Trump took responsibility and was eviscerated by nearly everyone on the left. It played well, turning the polls showing a majority of people blaming Trump.

He learned that lesson well. I think the first time he was trying to show he can be a leader and handle the burden of responsibility and leadership. Ever since that time he has denied any responsibility at all for even the smallest of issues.
  #62  
Old 03-16-2020, 03:42 PM
Rick Kitchen's Avatar
Rick Kitchen is online now
Guest
 
Join Date: Mar 1999
Location: Citrus Heights, CA, USA
Posts: 18,388
A reporter just asked him if the buck stops with him he said, "Normally, but this is an unusual situation."
  #63  
Old 03-16-2020, 06:30 PM
Voyager's Avatar
Voyager is offline
Charter Member
 
Join Date: Aug 2002
Location: Deep Space
Posts: 47,772
Quote:
Originally Posted by Rick Kitchen View Post
A reporter just asked him if the buck stops with him he said, "Normally, but this is an unusual situation."
And he said that he'd give himself 10 of 10 on how he handled the crisis.

I feel like I'm living in a Firesign Theatre record these days. Biden would do well running on the fact that he's the candidate who is not insane.

David Ossman agrees with me.
  #64  
Old 03-16-2020, 06:49 PM
orcenio is offline
Guest
 
Join Date: Sep 2008
Location: NCR
Posts: 2,466
Its like he never had to self-evaluate in a job before? Its a trick question! Never say 10 out of 10, only go 8 or 9. Leave room for improvement. They're only interested in your hindsight, descriptions, and methods, but if you're smart you can also work in numerous self advocacy. Jeez, what a amateur.

Last edited by orcenio; 03-16-2020 at 06:50 PM.
  #65  
Old 03-16-2020, 09:16 PM
Little Nemo is online now
Charter Member
 
Join Date: Dec 1999
Location: Western New York
Posts: 86,427
Quote:
Originally Posted by Voyager View Post
And he said that he'd give himself 10 of 10 on how he handled the crisis.
A rare moment of humility for Trump. He usually gives himself a rating of at least 15 out of 10.
  #66  
Old 03-16-2020, 09:20 PM
Little Nemo is online now
Charter Member
 
Join Date: Dec 1999
Location: Western New York
Posts: 86,427
Any day now Trump is going to acknowledge it's time to cut his losses and will ask his advisers what the presidential equivalent of declaring bankruptcy is and how he files for it.
  #67  
Old 03-16-2020, 09:50 PM
asahi's Avatar
asahi is offline
Guest
 
Join Date: Aug 2015
Location: On your computer screen
Posts: 13,302
What we're seeing now...is nothing. We're about to see intense pressure on ERs in major cities. The shift of tone is an awareness that this *could* happen, but they're not yet aware of what that will actually look like on camera. People are going to take their loved one with a nagging cough to the hospital and expect treatment; they'll find out that their loved one won't get treated. They won't know it, but they'll be taking their loved one there to die. The doctors will unfortunately be confronted with multiple patients at the same time and not know which one to start with.
  #68  
Old 03-16-2020, 09:57 PM
Robot Arm is online now
Guest
 
Join Date: Jun 2000
Location: Medford, MA
Posts: 23,822
Quote:
Originally Posted by Voyager View Post
And he said that he'd give himself 10 of 10 on how he handled the crisis.
Do you know who asked him that question? There was really no mystery how Donald Trump would answer.
  #69  
Old 03-17-2020, 04:48 AM
Pardel-Lux's Avatar
Pardel-Lux is offline
Guest
 
Join Date: Sep 2016
Location: Berlin
Posts: 463
Quote:
Originally Posted by orcenio View Post
"I just think it's a nasty question,... I dunno anything about it" Corruption, incompetence, and no accountability.
Exactly
Quote:
Originally Posted by steatopygia View Post
I hope that "none of this is my fault" is his defense strategy during his corruption trial.
Well how can it be his fault if when hitting the virus with a club the virus suddenly spreads?
Quote:
Originally Posted by joebuck20 View Post
Almost as disgusting was the blatant ass kissing by Pence during that press conference. I thought they were going to have to break out a diamond blade in order to separate his lips from Trump's derriere.
And I hope he pays the price for that in kind.
But some people, good people, are OK with this.
__________________
When I was younger I could remember anything, whether it had happened or not; but my faculties are decaying now and soon I shall be so I cannot remember any but the things that never happened. It is sad to go to pieces like this but we all have to do it.
Mark Twain
  #70  
Old 03-17-2020, 10:32 AM
Akaj's Avatar
Akaj is offline
Guest
 
Join Date: May 2018
Location: In the vanishing middle
Posts: 1,064
Yeah, right now it looks like Trump will pay a steep price for all this.

But what if the crisis plays out over the spring and summer, and while it's bad it's not all-caps BAD. And then in late summer/early fall, things start to normalize. Kids go back to school. Bars and restaurants re-open. A couple of music festivals actually happen. High school and college sports resume. The stock market rallies. Everyone starts to feel a lot better about life, and the survivors (which will be most of us, after all) share a belief that we're all a lot stronger for having endured

All of which would be wonderful. Except guess who gets to bask in the recovery and take full credit?
__________________
I'm not expecting any surprises.
  #71  
Old 03-17-2020, 10:52 AM
DCnDC's Avatar
DCnDC is offline
Member
 
Join Date: Feb 2010
Location: The Dueling Grounds
Posts: 13,770
The shit has not even begun to hit the fan.

Wait and see what happens when the outbreak becomes patchworky in terms of severity, and different states, counties, and cities will start to block entry from adjacent states, counties, and cities. Splits will undoubtedly occur along racial/economic lines, as the poorest will be hit hardest for all of the usual reasons. Meanwhile, Trump will still be standing at a burning podium telling us everything's just peachy.
  #72  
Old 03-17-2020, 12:16 PM
RioRico is offline
Suspended
 
Join Date: Sep 2019
Location: beyond cell service
Posts: 3,193
Quote:
Originally Posted by DCnDC View Post
The shit has not even begun to hit the fan.
I'm afraid you're right.

Quote:
Meanwhile, Trump will still be standing at a burning podium telling us everything's just peachy.
Rather, what HE has done is just peachy, but he whines insists he's fighting a conspiracy of Dems, Chinese, atheists, Mexicans, socialists, welfare queens, aardvarks, Zeta Reticulans, and uptight bitches frigid sluts. He'll improvise as usual.
  #73  
Old 03-17-2020, 02:08 PM
krondys's Avatar
krondys is online now
Member
 
Join Date: Apr 2011
Location: Gillette, Wyoming
Posts: 1,279
Quote:
Originally Posted by Steve MB View Post
Nah, it's just been revised to "THE BUCKS STOP HERE".
*golf clap*
  #74  
Old 03-21-2020, 08:30 PM
Damuri Ajashi is offline
Guest
 
Join Date: Jul 2006
Posts: 21,649
Quote:
Originally Posted by Superdude View Post
Yeah, but those are Democrats, not REAL people, so it's okay.
I think most of them have convinced themselves that the media is conspiring to make this out worse than it is to make Trump look bad.

I have literally had conversations where I had to remind people that this pandemic is going on all over the world and this thing has affected other countries pretty severely.

Now Trump did something right when he banned travel with China. He bought us a month or so to get prepared. The problem is that he didn't spend that month getting prepared. He spent that month goosing the stock market and whistling past the graveyard because even if it was perfectly handled, it would have a pretty negative impact and probably means he won't get re-elected.
  #75  
Old 03-22-2020, 03:43 PM
outlierrn is offline
Member
 
Join Date: Nov 2005
Location: republic of california
Posts: 5,930
Quote:
Originally Posted by Akaj View Post
Yeah, right now it looks like Trump will pay a steep price for all this.

But what if the crisis plays out over the spring and summer, and while it's bad it's not all-caps BAD. And then in late summer/early fall, things start to normalize. Kids go back to school. Bars and restaurants re-open. A couple of music festivals actually happen. High school and college sports resume. The stock market rallies. Everyone starts to feel a lot better about life, and the survivors (which will be most of us, after all) share a belief that we're all a lot stronger for having endured

All of which would be wonderful. Except guess who gets to bask in the recovery and take full credit?
I'm afraid that if it becomes all caps bad or near enough, someone will try to use that to invalidate the Nov. elections.
__________________
Just another outlying data point on the bell curve of life
  #76  
Old 03-22-2020, 04:27 PM
Stranger On A Train is offline
Guest
 
Join Date: May 2003
Location: Manor Farm
Posts: 19,882
Quote:
Originally Posted by Snowboarder Bo View Post
Remember how Reagan avoided all consequences by conveniently not remembering anything?
And then George H.W. Bush pardoned everyone convicted of anything with respect to the Iran-Contra Affair, so there were no consequences whatsoever for running a private arms smuggling network out of the National Security Council.

Quote:
Originally Posted by ThelmaLou View Post
He has said many times that he does not plan, he reacts. And we're seeing how well that's working out.
I play it very loose. I dont carry a briefcase. I try not to schedule too many meetings. I leave my door open....I prefer to come to work each day and just see what develops.
-- Donald Trump, The Art of the Deal

Stranger
  #77  
Old 03-22-2020, 05:51 PM
Great Antibob is offline
Guest
 
Join Date: Feb 2003
Posts: 5,738
Quote:
Originally Posted by outlierrn View Post
I'm afraid that if it becomes all caps bad or near enough, someone will try to use that to invalidate the Nov. elections.
Either way, his term is up in Jan. Can't be POTUS past inauguration day without holding elections (and winning) or operating outside the law.
  #78  
Old 03-22-2020, 06:07 PM
Sherrerd's Avatar
Sherrerd is offline
Member
 
Join Date: Jun 2013
Posts: 7,919
Quote:
Originally Posted by Great Antibob View Post
Either way, his term is up in Jan. Can't be POTUS past inauguration day without holding elections (and winning) or operating outside the law.
So you're suggesting that Trump has some sort of problem with operating outside the law?

If so, on what do you base such a theory?

emphasis mine
  #79  
Old 03-22-2020, 06:49 PM
Great Antibob is offline
Guest
 
Join Date: Feb 2003
Posts: 5,738
Quote:
Originally Posted by Sherrerd View Post
So you're suggesting that Trump has some sort of problem with operating outside the law?
Trump himself? Of course not.

But for him to get away with holding onto office election-free into the next term, he'll need buy-in from a lot of folks, including Congress, the Courts, the military, the Secret Service, the Marshalls, etc.

If we've gotten to the point where he could get away with it so easily, whether or not we hold elections at all is rather irrelevant.

Last edited by Great Antibob; 03-22-2020 at 06:50 PM.
  #80  
Old 03-22-2020, 09:54 PM
Superdude's Avatar
Superdude is online now
Member
 
Join Date: Feb 2001
Location: The Fortress of Solidude
Posts: 11,133
Quote:
Originally Posted by Great Antibob View Post
Either way, his term is up in Jan. Can't be POTUS past inauguration day without holding elections (and winning) or operating outside the law.
And, if he were to attempt it, the Constitution gives him an eviction notice for January 20, 2021. If there's no election, both he and Pence are out of jobs. The Order of Succession kicks in, and we get President Pelosi.
__________________
It's chaos. Be kind.
  #81  
Old 03-22-2020, 10:14 PM
Gorsnak is offline
Charter Member
 
Join Date: Jan 2003
Location: Saskaboom
Posts: 9,515
Quote:
Originally Posted by Superdude View Post
And, if he were to attempt it, the Constitution gives him an eviction notice for January 20, 2021. If there's no election, both he and Pence are out of jobs. The Order of Succession kicks in, and we get President Pelosi.
How does that work? I've been seeing this comment a lot, but isn't Pelosi also out of a job if there's no election? Asking as an ignorant foreigner.
  #82  
Old 03-22-2020, 10:55 PM
Little Nemo is online now
Charter Member
 
Join Date: Dec 1999
Location: Western New York
Posts: 86,427
Quote:
Originally Posted by Gorsnak View Post
How does that work? I've been seeing this comment a lot, but isn't Pelosi also out of a job if there's no election? Asking as an ignorant foreigner.
The next person in line after the Speaker of the House (Pelosi) is the president pro tempore of the Senate, who is Chuck Grassley. And unlike Trump, Pence, and Pelosi, Grassley's term of office is not scheduled to end in January. Senators are elected to six year terms and Grassley's current term runs to 2023.
  #83  
Old 03-22-2020, 11:44 PM
Great Antibob is offline
Guest
 
Join Date: Feb 2003
Posts: 5,738
Quote:
Originally Posted by Gorsnak View Post
How does that work? I've been seeing this comment a lot, but isn't Pelosi also out of a job if there's no election? Asking as an ignorant foreigner.
As a member of the House of Representatives, things work a bit differently there, but there's also less to worry about.

If a Senate seat is vacant - because there is no 'normal' election, the Senate seat can be filled, at least temporarily, by the state government.

A House seat, which covers Pelosi, can only be filled by election.

Now, the thing is, the President can't just cancel elections. Those are held at the state level. It's one of the side effects of our federal system of government (much the same system that allowed somebody who won a minority of votes to win the Presidential election).

One you are operating totally outside the law, anything is possible. But if we are talking about what is still within the law, the state of California would probably still hold elections and Pelosi re-elected within her Congressional district. If so, she gets sworn in to a new term in January. If not, special elections are still required, and she still wins her seat back. And from there, she needs to win her Speaker post back, but this is usually a formality for a sitting Speaker, especially one who is seen to be doing a good job.

So, it's quite possible Trump and/or his allies attempt to invalidate elections, but they can't just declare elections can't be held - that decision resides within each of the 50 states individually. If a bunch of states still hold elections despite an illegal federal decree not to, that leaves somebody in the federal government to declare they aren't accepting those results, which is yet another Constitutional Crisis beyond the several that have already clearly occurred.

Now, one twist is that newly elected members of Congress are sworn in earlier (Jan 3) than the President and Vice-President (Jan 20). So, they're already seated ahead of the President.

So, again, this isn't really a concern unless we've already gone so far outside the Constitution that elections themselves are irrelevant.
  #84  
Old 03-23-2020, 12:15 AM
Superdude's Avatar
Superdude is online now
Member
 
Join Date: Feb 2001
Location: The Fortress of Solidude
Posts: 11,133
Thanks to the above posters for explaining that better than I could.
__________________
It's chaos. Be kind.
  #85  
Old 03-23-2020, 02:08 AM
RioRico is offline
Suspended
 
Join Date: Sep 2019
Location: beyond cell service
Posts: 3,193
Quote:
Originally Posted by Great Antibob View Post
Now, the thing is, the President can't just cancel elections. Those are held at the state level.
If national states of emergency, martial law, and general quarantine are declared and enforced, with troops at every precinct office, elections might be delayed a bit. Like till forever.

Quote:
So, it's quite possible Trump and/or his allies attempt to invalidate elections... that leaves somebody in the federal government to declare they aren't accepting those results, which is yet another Constitutional Crisis beyond the several that have already clearly occurred.
That's another tool in the GOP kit. Refuse to accept EC votes; send the election to the Congress for a one-vote-per-state vote, states of which a majority are GOP run. (Amendment XII.) Or a state legislature can just appoint electors as they wish. (Article II Section 1.) Then it's a constitutional overthrow of popular will.

Quote:
So, again, this isn't really a concern unless we've already gone so far outside the Constitution that elections themselves are irrelevant.
And that's the much-discussed fear. We already know that popular will is irrelevant. If vast numbers are disenfranchised and losers win, why bother voting? It's a sham.
  #86  
Old 03-23-2020, 07:55 AM
Great Antibob is offline
Guest
 
Join Date: Feb 2003
Posts: 5,738
Quote:
Originally Posted by RioRico View Post
If national states of emergency, martial law, and general quarantine are declared and enforced, with troops at every precinct office, elections might be delayed a bit. Like till forever.
Well, yes, this is precisely my point.

If the military itself abides by illegal orders to the extent of preventing elections by force, it's already too late - we're beyond the point where elections matter in the first place.
  #87  
Old 03-23-2020, 09:43 AM
Lightnin''s Avatar
Lightnin' is offline
Guest
 
Join Date: Jan 2001
Location: Edmonton, AB
Posts: 7,583
It's just an outward declaration of his entire life- "All of the credit, none of the responsibility."

If things go south, just file bankruptcy and get bailed out.
__________________
What's the good of Science if nobody gets hurt?
  #88  
Old 03-23-2020, 10:34 AM
tripthicket's Avatar
tripthicket is online now
Guest
 
Join Date: Apr 2003
Location: The Phantom Hedgerow
Posts: 942
Quote:
Originally Posted by Little Nemo View Post
The next person in line after the Speaker of the House (Pelosi) is the president pro tempore of the Senate, who is Chuck Grassley. And unlike Trump, Pence, and Pelosi, Grassley's term of office is not scheduled to end in January. Senators are elected to six year terms and Grassley's current term runs to 2023.
Wait, wait, wait...I thought Kiefer Sutherland automatically stepped in in this type of thing...
  #89  
Old 03-23-2020, 02:09 PM
OldGuy is offline
Charter Member
 
Join Date: Dec 2002
Location: Very east of Foggybog, WI
Posts: 5,653
Quote:
Originally Posted by Little Nemo View Post
The next person in line after the Speaker of the House (Pelosi) is the president pro tempore of the Senate, who is Chuck Grassley. And unlike Trump, Pence, and Pelosi, Grassley's term of office is not scheduled to end in January. Senators are elected to six year terms and Grassley's current term runs to 2023.
Yes but if I counted right there are 20 republican seats and 13 democratic seats up for reelection. So if none of them are reelected, the Senate shifts to a Democratic majority on Jan 3 and presumably there will be a Democratic President Pro Tem in the Senate when Trumps term expires.
  #90  
Old 03-23-2020, 02:23 PM
iiandyiiii's Avatar
iiandyiiii is offline
Member
 
Join Date: Aug 2010
Location: Arlington, VA
Posts: 37,937
Why would Pelosi get skipped? Presumably she'll still be speaker on inauguration day. I don't see why her term ending is relevant, unless she loses her election.

Last edited by iiandyiiii; 03-23-2020 at 02:24 PM.
  #91  
Old 03-23-2020, 02:56 PM
Rick Kitchen's Avatar
Rick Kitchen is online now
Guest
 
Join Date: Mar 1999
Location: Citrus Heights, CA, USA
Posts: 18,388
Quote:
Originally Posted by iiandyiiii View Post
Why would Pelosi get skipped? Presumably she'll still be speaker on inauguration day. I don't see why her term ending is relevant, unless she loses her election.
She isn't going to lose reelection in San Francisco and Marin Counties. The only question would be if a Democratic minority would want to pick another Speaker.
  #92  
Old 03-23-2020, 02:57 PM
Rick Kitchen's Avatar
Rick Kitchen is online now
Guest
 
Join Date: Mar 1999
Location: Citrus Heights, CA, USA
Posts: 18,388
Quote:
Originally Posted by OldGuy View Post
Yes but if I counted right there are 20 republican seats and 13 democratic seats up for reelection. So if none of them are reelected, the Senate shifts to a Democratic majority on Jan 3 and presumably there will be a Democratic President Pro Tem in the Senate when Trumps term expires.
There's a grassroots effort to make Elizabeth Warren President pro tem in a Democratic Senate.
  #93  
Old 03-23-2020, 02:58 PM
Little Nemo is online now
Charter Member
 
Join Date: Dec 1999
Location: Western New York
Posts: 86,427
Quote:
Originally Posted by iiandyiiii View Post
Why would Pelosi get skipped? Presumably she'll still be speaker on inauguration day. I don't see why her term ending is relevant, unless she loses her election.
If there were somehow no elections, her current term of office would end and she wouldn't have a new one to start. And Congressional terms of office begin and end on January 3, while Presidential and Vice-Presidential terms of office begin and end on January 20.

So in this scenario, Trump and Pence would remain in office until January 20. By that date, Pelosi would be out of office. The only people still legally holding office would be the sixty-seven Senators who weren't scheduled to run for re-election this year, Grassley among them.

If the Democrats had the majority, they could have chosen a new president pro tempore. Traditionally, the title goes to the senior Senator from the majority party, which would be Patrick Leahy for the Democrats (like Grassley, his term ends in 2023). But the Democrats could choose somebody else, like Chuck Schumer or Bernie Sanders or Liz Warren, if they were aware this person was about to become President.

Last edited by Little Nemo; 03-23-2020 at 02:59 PM.
  #94  
Old 03-23-2020, 03:25 PM
Rick Kitchen's Avatar
Rick Kitchen is online now
Guest
 
Join Date: Mar 1999
Location: Citrus Heights, CA, USA
Posts: 18,388
Individual 1 is considering ending the crisis declaration after 15 days.
"WE CANNOT LET THE CURE BE WORSE THAN THE PROBLEM ITSELF. AT THE END OF THE 15 DAY PERIOD, WE WILL MAKE A DECISION AS TO WHICH WAY WE WANT TO GO!"
https://twitter.com/realDonaldTrump/...35285916782593
  #95  
Old 03-23-2020, 03:27 PM
iiandyiiii's Avatar
iiandyiiii is offline
Member
 
Join Date: Aug 2010
Location: Arlington, VA
Posts: 37,937
Quote:
Originally Posted by Little Nemo View Post
If there were somehow no elections, her current term of office would end and she wouldn't have a new one to start. And Congressional terms of office begin and end on January 3, while Presidential and Vice-Presidential terms of office begin and end on January 20.

So in this scenario, Trump and Pence would remain in office until January 20. By that date, Pelosi would be out of office. The only people still legally holding office would be the sixty-seven Senators who weren't scheduled to run for re-election this year, Grassley among them.

If the Democrats had the majority, they could have chosen a new president pro tempore. Traditionally, the title goes to the senior Senator from the majority party, which would be Patrick Leahy for the Democrats (like Grassley, his term ends in 2023). But the Democrats could choose somebody else, like Chuck Schumer or Bernie Sanders or Liz Warren, if they were aware this person was about to become President.
Okay, I see. Wow, that'd be nuts if we had no Congress.
  #96  
Old 03-23-2020, 03:32 PM
Bijou Drains is offline
Guest
 
Join Date: Sep 2008
Posts: 12,184
Pelosi said she is only going to serve 4 years as speaker. So if this were to somehow drag on she won't be speaker after 2022
  #97  
Old 03-23-2020, 03:41 PM
drad dog is offline
Guest
 
Join Date: May 2015
Posts: 7,031
Quote:
Originally Posted by tripthicket View Post
Wait, wait, wait...I thought Kiefer Sutherland automatically stepped in in this type of thing...
I just want to see the scene where Kiefer Sutherland and dt are alone in a locked room and Kiefer needs to know something really badly that dt doesn't want to divulge.
  #98  
Old 03-23-2020, 03:47 PM
Great Antibob is offline
Guest
 
Join Date: Feb 2003
Posts: 5,738
Quote:
Originally Posted by iiandyiiii View Post
I don't see why her term ending is relevant, unless she loses her election.
I was being slightly pedantic. Technically, there's a new selection at the beginning of each 2 year term. It's usually pro forma if the majority party retains the majority. Unless the Dems or some coalition of dissatisfied Dems and Republicans want to stage a revolt and select a new Speaker or somebody decides to mount a serious challenge, this would be Pelosi. It's not likely at all, but it's technically possible.

Also, apparently there's no Constitutional requirement the Speaker be a sitting member of the House, but this precedent has never been broken and is unlikely to be anytime soon.
  #99  
Old 03-23-2020, 06:36 PM
Bijou Drains is offline
Guest
 
Join Date: Sep 2008
Posts: 12,184
In the UK the speaker of the house quits their party and is non partisan.

A while back here in NC the Dems had a majority but some of them teamed up with GOP members to elect a different speaker than was expected.
  #100  
Old 03-23-2020, 06:39 PM
bobot's Avatar
bobot is offline
Member
 
Join Date: Jan 2009
Location: Chicago-ish
Posts: 10,065
Quote:
Originally Posted by Rick Kitchen View Post
Individual 1 is considering ending the crisis declaration after 15 days.
"WE CANNOT LET THE CURE BE WORSE THAN THE PROBLEM ITSELF. AT THE END OF THE 15 DAY PERIOD, WE WILL MAKE A DECISION AS TO WHICH WAY WE WANT TO GO!"
https://twitter.com/realDonaldTrump/...35285916782593

That guy's a fucking idiot. With a metaphorical fishing line dancing in front of his marks. Soon... coming soon... something... keep dancing...
Reply

Bookmarks

Thread Tools
Display Modes

Posting Rules
You may not post new threads
You may not post replies
You may not post attachments
You may not edit your posts

BB code is On
Smilies are On
[IMG] code is Off
HTML code is Off

Forum Jump


All times are GMT -5. The time now is 10:57 PM.

Powered by vBulletin® Version 3.8.7
Copyright ©2000 - 2020, vBulletin Solutions, Inc.

Send questions for Cecil Adams to: cecil@straightdope.com

Send comments about this website to: webmaster@straightdope.com

Terms of Use / Privacy Policy

Advertise on the Straight Dope!
(Your direct line to thousands of the smartest, hippest people on the planet, plus a few total dipsticks.)

Copyright 2019 STM Reader, LLC.

 
Copyright © 2017