Old 03-23-2020, 03:50 PM

Two's company, three's a crowd.

At least in South Carolina. The governor has just authorized police to disperse groups of three or more people.
Old 03-23-2020, 03:56 PM

Will this hold up in court? Seems to violate the Freedom of Association granted in the first amendment.
Old 03-23-2020, 04:20 PM
Suspended

Quote:
Originally Posted by boffking View Post
Will this hold up in court? Seems to violate the Freedom of Association granted in the first amendment.
ANAL but 1) I doubt courts will stay emergency declarations and 2) "association" isn't in the First:
Quote:
"Congress shall make no law respecting an establishment of religion, or prohibiting the free expression thereof; or abridging the freedom of speech, or of the press, or the right of the people peaceably to assemble, and to petition the Government for a redress of grievances."
Felons are often restricted from associating with other felons IIRC. BTW the word "freedom" appears exactly ONCE in the US Constitution, and that's it right there. But no freedoms or rights are absolute, as every item in the Bill of Rights has been violated with court approval. Thus are twisted knickers useless here.
Old 03-23-2020, 06:02 PM

Overreach. Woman can't leave baby and slightly demented parent alone, takes them to grocery store. Oooops here comes a cop. Sorry pop, don't wander away.

Edit: Doesn't affect family outings....well FFS then. What is this?? Just lisence to swagger about and break up pick-up basketball games? Horseshit 1/4 measures.

Last edited by Dale Sams; 03-23-2020 at 06:06 PM.
Old 03-24-2020, 04:59 AM
Charter Member

Quote:
Originally Posted by RioRico View Post
... 2) "association" isn't in the First:
The Supreme Court disagrees with you. . The combined effect of freedom of speech and freedom of assembly is that freedom of association is protected by the First Amendment at the federal level, and at the state level via the Due Process clause of the Fourteenth Amendment: NAACP v. Alabama
We will come through this pandemic. Hang on tight to the ones you love.

Last edited by Northern Piper; 03-24-2020 at 05:00 AM.
Old 03-24-2020, 05:47 AM

Quote:
Originally Posted by RioRico View Post
.....BTW the word "freedom" appears exactly ONCE in the US Constitution, and that's it right there....
Interesting. Thanks for this little trivia item. I assume this includes other forms of the word?
Old 03-24-2020, 06:23 PM

I believe the S. F. Bay Area order defines two to be a crowd, except for persons in the same household or similar living unit.
Old 03-24-2020, 06:44 PM
Suspended

Quote:
Originally Posted by Northern Piper View Post
The Supreme Court disagrees with you. . The combined effect of freedom of speech and freedom of assembly is that freedom of association is protected by the First Amendment at the federal level, and at the state level via the Due Process clause of the Fourteenth Amendment: NAACP v. Alabama
Freedom of association is not absolute. Courts may order an individual to not associate with certain other people. The term "restraining order" comes to mind.

Quote:
Originally Posted by Jackknifed Juggernaut View Post
Interesting. Thanks for this little trivia item. I assume this includes other forms of the word?
Browse the Constitution and count occurrences.

1 - Freedom: freedom of speech [and] the press
3 - Free: free Persons (amended out); free exercise of religion; the security of a free State
3 - Liberty: Blessings of Liberty (preamble, not law); life, liberty [and] property (twice)