Prev Previous Post   Next Post Next
Old 03-24-2020, 10:18 AM

Share Recipes for Those Spending Time Cooking

So I'm spending some of this enforced home time baking.

I dug up an old recipe for meringues that I hadn't made in maybe 10 years.

3 large egg whites (or 4 medium), at room temperature (don't use egg whites from a carton)

1/2 teaspoon peppermint extract (if you don't have peppermint on hand, try vanilla)

green food coloring

1/8 teaspoon cream of tartar

3/4 cup granulated sugar (baker's sugar if you have it-- ie, superfine)

chocolate chips

cupcake tins, if you have them

stand mixer

pastry bag with star attachment

Preheat oven to 200'F

Fit stand mixer with whisk attachment, whip egg whites, peppermint, 2 drops of green food coloring, if you want, and cream of tartar. Beat until you have soft peaks with a spatula. Add the sugar, slowly, a tbsp or so at a time. Once all of the sugar has been added, beat for an additional 5 minutes. The egg whites should be stiff but not dry.

Spray a cookie sheet with spray oil, or the cupcake tins, or use parchment paper on the cookie sheets. Drop 6-10 chocolate chips in piles 2 inches apart, or at the bottom of each cupcake spot.

Fill a pastry bag fitted with a star attachment (or another, really-- I guess it doesn't matter). Pipe 2" meringues onto each pile of chocolate chips.

Bake 45 minutes. Turn off oven, but leave in oven for 30 more minutes. Let cool completely before storing.

I have a really good recipe for sandwich bread, but it requires having yeast on hand. I'll post it if anyone wants. I make all our bread.

I have a really good recipe for bagels. They aren't as good as bagels from NYC, but they are, IMO, the best bagels in Indianapolis. My aunt used this recipe when we lived in NYC, and then, they were absolutely the best bagels anywhere. They require having some things like high gluten flour, yeast, and barley malt. But I'll post it if people want. This is the perfect time for making bagels.