Old 05-20-2020, 12:10 PM

The China issue in the 2020 presidential election

Criticism of China during U.S. presidential elections is nothing new; it was a fixture by 2012. (Additional cites for 2012 - CNN: election brings criticism of China and PRI: why are Obama and Romney attacking China? and Forbes: will criticism of China cost Romney the election?

But this 2020 election may be different yet. Right now, a strong majority of both Democrats and Republicans hold negative views of China (62 percent of Democrats and 72 percent of Republicans.) Pew Research Center notes that this is the most hostile percentage/rating against China that has ever been recorded since Pew began tracking this question many years ago. In such an environment, it will be very difficult for either Trump or Biden to win if they did or said anything that came across to the electorate as "China-friendly."

NPR noted that both candidates are already accusing the other of going soft against China. Trump has already started a "Beijing Biden" campaign to attack his opponent, but Biden promptly hit back with an ad that characterized Trump as caving in to China, an ad that risks fracturing the political left. It led to criticism that Biden was trying to out-Trump Trump and was changing the nature of the Democratic Party.
Old 05-20-2020, 01:29 PM
Charter Member

Maybe I’m naive but I don’t think Chinese xenophobia is going to be a huge issue this time around. ‘I lost my job to China!’ plays well in a 3.5% unemployment race where those that lost jobs that aren’t coming back need a scapegoat.

Republicans aren’t even tying to use inflammatory names about COVID these days, those names are almost in Freedom Fries territory.

But, I freely admit, I could be wrong. Nothing in 2020 makes sense.
Old 05-20-2020, 09:30 PM
Charter Member

I think it is guaranteed that neither can be seen as "soft" on China.

If I were Biden, I would emphasize the need for a global coalition to take on the legitimate issues about China not living up to WTO obligations, closed markets, IP infringement, etc. VS the Trump "trade wars are easy to win" BS.
Old 05-21-2020, 09:49 AM

As with most issues Trump has flipflopped all over the map with regard to China. There are sound bites of him praising China for their Covid 19 response, for Xi Jinping's election for life, and for his response to trade.

Biden needs to play these clips over and over.
Old 05-21-2020, 10:06 AM

Quote:
Originally Posted by Buck Godot View Post
As with most issues Trump has flipflopped all over the map with regard to China. There are sound bites of him praising China for their Covid 19 response, for Xi Jinping's election for life, and for his response to trade.

Biden needs to play these clips over and over.
Yep. Every debate should just be listening to a Trump response, then playing a video clip of him saying the exact opposite.