Old 03-30-2020, 07:12 PM

Some of those nations/people, like Zimbabwe, have a lot of things to worry about and have to prioritize:
Quote:
“We are already ruined. What more harm can coronavirus do?” Irene Kampira asked as she sorted secondhand clothes at a bustling market in a poor suburb of Zimbabwe’s capital, Harare.

People in one of the world’s most devastated nations are choosing daily survival over measures to protect themselves from a virus that “might not even kill us,” Kampira said.

Even as the country enters a “total lockdown” over the virus on Monday, social distancing is pushed aside in the struggle to obtain food, cash, cheap public transport, even clean water. The World Health Organization’s recommended virus precautions seem far-fetched for many of Zimbabwe’s 15 million people.

“It’s better to get coronavirus while looking for money than to sit at home and die from hunger,” Kampira said, to loud approval from other vendors.
Quote:
Few health workers are available as doctors and nurses strike.

“There is a difference between being heroic and being suicidal,” said Tawanda Zvakada, president of the Zimbabwe Hospital Doctors Association.

Health workers described a lack of disinfectants, sanitizers and even water at hospitals.
Quote:
“What is happening in Zimbabwe is very scary. It’s like we are playing cards. Its either you win coronavirus or you win starvation,” said Tinashe Moyo at the supermarket. “I am very scared.”
Old 03-30-2020, 07:23 PM
Charter Member

Quote:
Originally Posted by Sherrerd View Post
Any video of a gym full of body-builder-types singing Rodgers & Hammerstein, would be an instant hit on YouTube. People are starved for entertainment!
It's not Rodgers and Hammerstein, but how about this?

Or maybe this?
Old 03-30-2020, 07:42 PM

Quote:
Originally Posted by Kent Clark View Post

Or maybe this?
Ah, the classics!
Old 03-30-2020, 07:44 PM

Quote:
Originally Posted by Aspenglow View Post
You should find this shocking and more than a little creepy, too. (Politico)
I was just talking to my brother in NSW.Australia. His Chief Medical Officer can detain any person in any place for any period by simple declaration. It's not a power that is often used, but it's there.
Old 03-30-2020, 07:50 PM

Can someone help me with stats, how many people live in my state of Ohio, how many are ill, and how many have died? Also, what did the mypillow guy say at the presser?
Old 03-30-2020, 08:05 PM
Charter Member

Quote:
Originally Posted by SuntanLotion View Post
Can someone help me with stats, how many people live in my state of Ohio,
Dude. Have you tried just Googling Ohio? Or Wikipedia?
Quote:
how many are ill, and how many have died?
Here's the death info for the U.S. and for each of the states.
Quote:
Also, what did the mypillow guy say at the presser?
Here ya go.

Last edited by RTFirefly; 03-30-2020 at 08:05 PM.
Old 03-30-2020, 10:19 PM

For psychonaut to thank you for your updates (and definitely a case of do as I say and not as I do).
Old 03-30-2020, 10:42 PM

Quote:
Originally Posted by RTFirefly View Post
Wow, seriously?
Old 03-30-2020, 11:08 PM

785,779 confirmed infections
37,816 dead
165,607 recovered

In the US:

164,253 confirmed infections
3,166 dead
5,506 recovered

Yesterday's numbers for comparison:
Quote:
Originally Posted by Snowboarder Bo View Post
722,196 confirmed infections
33,976 dead
151,766 recovered

In the US*:

142,178 confirmed infections
2,484 dead
4,559 recovered
Old 03-30-2020, 11:23 PM

Reports are coming out of Wuhan that the death toll was not 2,500 like the authorities said, but more like 40,000 or possibly even higher. I don't doubt it at all.

https://news.yahoo.com/wuhan-residen...164859600.html
Old 03-30-2020, 11:33 PM

Quote:
Originally Posted by nearwildheaven View Post
Reports are coming out of Wuhan that the death toll was not 2,500 like the authorities said, but more like 40,000 or possibly even higher. I don't doubt it at all.

https://news.yahoo.com/wuhan-residen...164859600.html
At this point it's a bit "so what" re China. We didn't trust their stats in the first place, and we have the rest of the world for statistics about infections, deaths and so forth. The only interesting bit is: did China actually contain Covid, or are there ongoing large breakouts? That would be something quite hard to cover up, and quite useful information.
Old 03-31-2020, 12:34 AM

A member of the New Jersey National Guard has died. A civilian contractor and a military dependent have also died.
https://www.cnbc.com/2020/03/30/pent...ronavirus.html
Old 03-31-2020, 03:32 AM

The San Francisco Bay Area counties were among the first in the nation, on March 16, to declare that shelter-in-place order. Now, two weeks later, there are beginning to be signs that it's working. The exploding case counts apparently aren't exploding quite as fast as otherwise predicted. In another two weeks, we'll have a better idea how it's working.

Coronavirus slowing in Bay Area? Experts track data to see whether shelter in place is working, San Francisco Chronicle, March 28, 2020.

The Bay Area shutdown, originally scheduled to end on April 7, has been extended to May 1.

Berkeley, Bay Area to extend shelter-in-place order until May 1
Old 03-31-2020, 03:35 AM

Quote:
Originally Posted by Try2B Comprehensive View Post
I find this shocking and more than a little creepy.
You should. Many European governments have declared a state of emergency but none of them have decided that the best way of dealing with it is to grant someone dictatorial powers indefinitely.

Even before the current crisis, Hungary has been increasingly viewed by other members of the EU as a pariah state. Prime minister Viktor Orbán, once the West's darling of post-Soviet Hungary, has used his supermajority to push through a number of very questionable and controversial laws and constitutional amendments. These include restricting election campaigning to state-controlled media outlets, reforming the electoral process in a way that gives a clear advantage to Orbán's own party (think gerrymandering, but procedural rather than geographical), putting the Hungarian Academy of Sciences (of which I am a public-body member) under direct political control and dissolving its research institutions, effectively shutting the door to all asylum seekers, revoking the accreditation of degree programs (such as gender studies) that are deemed too "liberal", shutting down entire universities for the same reason, retroactively lowering the mandatory retirement age of judges in order to pack the courts with new and loyal appointees, and even removing the word "Republic" from the name of the country. All this has earned Hungary a formal censure by the European Parliament for "a breach of the values on which the Union is founded", suspension of Orbán's party from its membership in the EU-wide European People's Party, and hundreds of complaints to and dozens of unfavourable judgments by the European Court of Human Rights.

There is therefore a well-founded fear among Hungarian opposition parties and the rest of the EU that Orbán is not going to play nice with his new powers.

ETA: I see Hungary is already throwing mud at the detractors of its new dictatorship. The foreign minister has just posted on Facebook that the "international liberal media" is attacking Hungary "because the democratically elected Hungarian Parliament has given us the powers to protect our country from the worldwide pandemic".

Last edited by psychonaut; 03-31-2020 at 03:39 AM.
Old 03-31-2020, 05:23 AM
Charter Member

Quote:
37,816 dead
165,607 recovered

In the US:

3,166 dead
5,506 recovered

Maybe, just maybe, we're starting to turn the corner on this thing. Apparently yesterday's initial death totals for Sunday were low due to weekend reporting issues, and Worldometer has revised the totals (numbers below).

But the big news is that the Sunday + Monday death total (936) is essentially the same as the Friday + Saturday death total (925). (The individual daily numbers are 400, 525, 363, 573.) I expected the total for Monday alone to hit 1000, and I can tell you I'm quite happy to be wrong.

The people who are dying now were probably infected 2-3 weeks (or more) ago, so this would be the result of actions taken during the second and maybe the third week of March. And we were really just starting to respond widely at that point.
Old 03-31-2020, 06:54 AM

I really have to applaud Germany. Most of my income for the year comes over the summer working as a kid's overnight camp director, so I was facing financial catastrophe. They quickly approved and implemented a financial aid package just a few days ago granting 5000 bucks for freelancers and the self-employed, which today appeared in my bank account. Definitely a weight off my shoulders.
Old 03-31-2020, 09:26 AM

Top Moscow doctor positive, shook Putin’s hand!
Quote:
The chief doctor of Moscow’s top hospital for coronavirus patients says he’s tested positive, a statement that comes a week after his encounter with President Vladimir Putin.

Putin visited the Kommunarka hospital a week ago and met with its chief doctor Denis Protsenko. The doctor says he’s feeling OK and self-isolated in his office.

There was no immediate comment from the Kremlin on whether Putin had undergone a coronavirus test following Protsenko’s announcement.

The president wore a business suit and shook hands with Protsenko before the meeting, drawing a buzz on social networks over his neglect of safety precautions.
Old 03-31-2020, 10:18 AM

Quote:
Originally Posted by Kent Clark View Post

Or maybe this?
Not Rodgers and Hammerstein, but here’s Randy Rainbow parodying Adelaide’s Lament from Guys and Dolls.

https://youtu.be/-CCW4Xnp_sQ
Old 03-31-2020, 10:24 AM

Folks, can we have a separate thread for this kind of stuff? Please?
Old 03-31-2020, 10:39 AM

Quote:
Originally Posted by DSeid View Post
The thread is a fine thing, and the information on "breaking news" from those on the ground in different regions valuable for all of us in real time ... but do you really think future historians will be looking HERE for documentation of the facts? Really?
As someone who does research at a history museum, absolutely . The internet is already life changing for being able to access so much more information and many more resources without having to travel to other places. And blogs, message boards and social media are basically the modern equivalent to diaries and correspondence.
Old 03-31-2020, 10:43 AM

Quote:
Originally Posted by squeegee View Post
At this point it's a bit "so what" re China. We didn't trust their stats in the first place, and we have the rest of the world for statistics about infections, deaths and so forth. The only interesting bit is: did China actually contain Covid, or are there ongoing large breakouts? That would be something quite hard to cover up, and quite useful information.
Man, I completely disagree that it's "so what". We need every bit of accurate information about this virus as possible in order to try to fight it. The death count being that much higher would mean Italy (and Spain) isn't necessarily an extreme outlier and that would change a lot of calculations and projections.

Last edited by zweisamkeit; 03-31-2020 at 10:44 AM.
Old 03-31-2020, 11:31 AM

Quote:
Originally Posted by psychonaut View Post
You should. Many European governments have declared a state of emergency but none of them have decided that the best way of dealing with it is to grant someone dictatorial powers indefinitely.

Even before the current crisis, Hungary has been increasingly viewed by other members of the EU as a pariah state. Prime minister Viktor Orbán, once the West's darling of post-Soviet Hungary, has used his supermajority to push through a number of very questionable and controversial laws and constitutional amendments. These include restricting election campaigning to state-controlled media outlets, reforming the electoral process in a way that gives a clear advantage to Orbán's own party (think gerrymandering, but procedural rather than geographical), putting the Hungarian Academy of Sciences (of which I am a public-body member) under direct political control and dissolving its research institutions, effectively shutting the door to all asylum seekers, revoking the accreditation of degree programs (such as gender studies) that are deemed too "liberal", shutting down entire universities for the same reason, retroactively lowering the mandatory retirement age of judges in order to pack the courts with new and loyal appointees, and even removing the word "Republic" from the name of the country. All this has earned Hungary a formal censure by the European Parliament for "a breach of the values on which the Union is founded", suspension of Orbán's party from its membership in the EU-wide European People's Party, and hundreds of complaints to and dozens of unfavourable judgments by the European Court of Human Rights.

There is therefore a well-founded fear among Hungarian opposition parties and the rest of the EU that Orbán is not going to play nice with his new powers.

ETA: I see Hungary is already throwing mud at the detractors of its new dictatorship. The foreign minister has just posted on Facebook that the "international liberal media" is attacking Hungary "because the democratically elected Hungarian Parliament has given us the powers to protect our country from the worldwide pandemic".
Thanks for fleshing out the details of this development. I was not especially aware of Orban and did not realize Hungary was in such a state. I can see how such a move could Potentially lead to strict "get tough" measures to control the outbreak, but in the context of your description it doesn't sound like that's where it will end (or maybe even start).

It is weird to see the "war on liberals" taken to such an extreme since I don't really accept "liberals" as a valid category at all- I think the concept is mostly a demonized, fictional foil. Nobody really meets the description of "liberal" as told by liberal-haters. But it is simple and focuses the mind on partisan us-vs-them ideas which can be useful to politicians.

Doesn't sound like they are to the point of burning books, but the stifling of research and corruption of the electoral process is... creepy.

Last edited by Try2B Comprehensive; 03-31-2020 at 11:32 AM.
Old 03-31-2020, 12:03 PM
Charter Member

Quote:
Originally Posted by zweisamkeit View Post
Man, I completely disagree that it's "so what". We need every bit of accurate information about this virus as possible in order to try to fight it. The death count being that much higher would mean Italy (and Spain) isn't necessarily an extreme outlier and that would change a lot of calculations and projections.
Yes. If it turns out that China's death toll is ten times higher, and that people are still dropping, then perhaps we should not look to China as a model for fighting the virus.
Old 03-31-2020, 12:36 PM

Quote:
Originally Posted by Moe View Post
Or Morgenpost. It has an interactive map which is probably easier to read at a glance.
I think Tagesspiegel's interactive map is significantly better.
Old 03-31-2020, 02:08 PM

Quote:
Look, either you believe the information China is putting out, or you don't. If you don't, there's nothing that can fix that. If China came out this week and said, "hey, we were under reporting, here's the real figures!" would you suddenly believe those figures? Of course not. So we already have useful information or we don't, and if it's the latter there's nothing that can fix that. That's, "so what?"
Old 03-31-2020, 05:04 PM

In the UK, Dominic Cummings (Brexit architect, advisor to Boris Johnson) has caught Covid-19.
Old 03-31-2020, 06:03 PM

Today in Austria:
  • Yesterday I reported that supermarkets will be distributing free face masks beginning on Wednesday, and it will be required to wear these in the stores. The chancellor subsequently explained in an interview last night that it is his intention for people to eventually start wearing these masks in all public places, not just in supermarkets. Supermarkets were chosen as the first place to start distributing and wearing the masks, because almost everyone goes shopping at one point, and because the supermarkets have an established supply and distribution chain. The idea behind wearing masks is not to protect the wearer against infection, but rather to help prevent people who are (perhaps unwittingly) infectious from spreading the virus when speaking, coughing, or sneezing.

The chancellor says that wearing masks is going to be the "new normal" and that supermarkets will be the place where we must all learn and practise doing this. He said that before the crisis, he was often quizzical, and even irritated, at all the Asian tourists in Vienna who wore face masks, but after speaking directly with Asian politicians and health experts, he has come to understand and embrace their use.
  • Besides masks, the government has introduced further health restrictions regarding shopping: First, when going shopping, you must go alone. No more family trips to the supermarket. Second, surfaces touched by customers, such as shopping cart handles, must be disinfected after use. (I've already witnessed some cashiers wiping down debit/credit card readers after customers make a PIN transaction.) Third, all cashiers must be protected with plexiglass screens, though most shops I've visited in the past week have already installed these. Fourth, stores must take measures to enforce social distancing, such as only allowing in a certain number of customers per square metre of floor space, and marking spacing lines in front of the tills.
  • The country's classrooms remain closed and the education minister says they will remain so indefinitely. A survey of parents indicate that 90% are in favour of this measure. Schools are providing children with distance learning material, and 80% of parents report satisfaction with it. The education ministry is also providing funds to families who need to buy distance learning infrastructure (laptops, etc.) for their children. However, concerns are being raised about the social development of students in isolation. The government is therefore recruiting 900 psychologists to contact and work directly with students.
  • As Austria's intensive care beds are not yet at full capacity, the government has agreed to take on some patients from other countries. Three critical patients from France have been transferred to Salzburg for treatment, and five from Italy have been accepted by Tyrol.
  • The government is performing antibody tests on doctors, and in the future will expand this to other health care workers. These tests are intended to determine which people have already been exposed to and recovered from the virus and are presumably immune to further infections.
  • For some time now, certain districts in the country have been placed under a strict quarantine, with nobody allowed to enter or leave the district. In the past few days, some of these quarantines have been lifted, but as of today this stricter quarantine has been extended to some new districts (Altenmarkt, Zell am See and Saalbach).
  • Current statistics: 10,180 confirmed infections, 128 dead, 1095 recovered. 179,000 people have registered as unemployed since 15 March. Dozens of major companies are taking advantage of the government's aid package to lay off most of their workforce while still paying 80% of their salaries.
Old 03-31-2020, 06:46 PM
Charter Member

Quote:
OK, but what would we do differently if we found out the Chinese cases and deaths were, say, 5x as high as they've reported?
Old 03-31-2020, 06:51 PM

Quote:
Originally Posted by psychonaut View Post
Today in Austria:
  • Yesterday I reported that supermarkets will be distributing free face masks beginning on Wednesday, and it will be required to wear these in the stores. The chancellor subsequently explained in an interview last night that it is his intention for people to eventually start wearing these masks in all public places, not just in supermarkets. Supermarkets were chosen as the first place to start distributing and wearing the masks, because almost everyone goes shopping at one point, and because the supermarkets have an established supply and distribution chain. The idea behind wearing masks is not to protect the wearer against infection, but rather to help prevent people who are (perhaps unwittingly) infectious from spreading the virus when speaking, coughing, or sneezing.

The chancellor says that wearing masks is going to be the "new normal" and that supermarkets will be the place where we must all learn and practise doing this. He said that before the crisis, he was often quizzical, and even irritated, at all the Asian tourists in Vienna who wore face masks, but after speaking directly with Asian politicians and health experts, he has come to understand and embrace their use.
  • Besides masks, the government has introduced further health restrictions regarding shopping: First, when going shopping, you must go alone. No more family trips to the supermarket. Second, surfaces touched by customers, such as shopping cart handles, must be disinfected after use. (I've already witnessed some cashiers wiping down debit/credit card readers after customers make a PIN transaction.) Third, all cashiers must be protected with plexiglass screens, though most shops I've visited in the past week have already installed these. Fourth, stores must take measures to enforce social distancing, such as only allowing in a certain number of customers per square metre of floor space, and marking spacing lines in front of the tills.

Both of these are very sensible!

I don't understand the "CDC is discussing/thinking about telling people to wear masks..." What's to discuss or think about? Why delay? Just tell people to do it! NOT the professional masks that health care workers must have, but homemade masks, painter's masks, SOME kind of cover over your nose and mouth. Are they going to "discuss" it for two more weeks and then tell people NOT to wear them? If they're ultimately going to tell people to use masks, then the sooner the better!
Old 03-31-2020, 07:01 PM
Charter Member

Quote:
Originally Posted by ThelmaLou View Post
Both of these are very sensible!

I don't understand the "CDC is discussing/thinking about telling people to wear masks..." What's to discuss or think about? Why delay?
Because they can't just do it because Trump. Heads would roll if they did it on their own, and he'd reverse the policy for who knows how long. So they've got to get Trump warmed up to the idea, and put him in the position of taking credit when he finally agrees.
Old 03-31-2020, 07:07 PM

Quote:
OK, but what would we do differently if we found out the Chinese cases and deaths were, say, 5x as high as they've reported?
Smack their leader upside the head and tell him that ain't cool.
Old 03-31-2020, 07:26 PM
Charter Member

Alameda and nearby Bay Area counties just extended the shelter in place to May 1. Sorry no link, I got a text.
Old 03-31-2020, 07:32 PM
Charter Member

Quote:
Originally Posted by Voyager View Post
Alameda and nearby Bay Area counties just extended the shelter in place to May 1. Sorry no link, I got a text.
oops, make that May 3.
Old 03-31-2020, 08:52 PM

Austria’s recommendations sound sensible and achievable. Unfortunately, I fear that Americans will resist any required actions.
Old 03-31-2020, 11:15 PM

858,892 confirmed infections
42,158 dead
178,100 recovered

In the US:

188,578 confirmed infections
3,890 dead
7,251 recovered

Quote:
37,816 dead
165,607 recovered

In the US:

3,166 dead
5,506 recovered
Old 04-01-2020, 03:32 AM

Quote:
Originally Posted by psychobunny View Post
For psychonaut to thank you for your updates (and definitely a case of do as I say and not as I do).
You're welcome! And thanks for the reminder of how beautiful Salzburg is—we took a short holiday trip there only a couple months ago. Hopefully we can all get back to singing the original tunes soon, leaving educational parodies such as this a distant memory…
Old 04-01-2020, 03:53 AM

Quote:
Post #1763, above, including some links. (That was tentative, as of yesterday. What, they made it May 3 now?)
Old 04-01-2020, 04:16 AM

Quote:
Okay, newer and better links:

The entire original shelter-in-place order has been fully superseded by a new order, dated March 31, with even more severe rules, effective through May 3 or as may be later amended.

Summary of the New and Changed Rules, official-looking document from the City and County of San Francisco.

Full Text of the new Order.
Old 04-01-2020, 04:22 AM

Today so far in Austria:
  • 199,934 people have registered as unemployed since the coronavirus crisis began, bringing the total number of jobless to 562,522. This gives an unemployment rate of 12.2%, the highest Austria has seen since 1946.
  • Public-facing government offices long ago closed, but they have been taking steps to ensure that certain essential services are still available online, by phone, or by post. On Friday Parliament is expected to pass a new regulation allowing for naturalizations to be conducted by post. That is, since it's no longer possible to take the oath of citizenship in person, it will suffice to sign a written declaration and mail it in.
  • In a rare display of hypocrisy, chancellor Sebastian Kurz claimed that he had "no time" to concern himself with Orbán's power grab in Hungary, despite the next day making a public statement in support of the US's plans to oust Maduro from Venezuela. I surmise that Kurz wants to avoid angering a close neighbour and comrade (both Kurz's Austrian People's Party and Orbán's Fidesz being members of the EU-wide European People's Party) in a time of shared crisis. However, state media in Austria hasn't been nearly so deferent; last night the national TV broadcaster, ORF, aired an English-language interview with Hungary's justice minister in which some hard-hitting questions were posed.
  • The Austrian Red Cross manages a volunteer force of 72,000, but says it is in urgent need of further volunteers, in particular to go shopping for high-risk individuals confined to their homes.
  • Current statistics: 10,372 confirmed infections, 146 dead, 1095 recovered.
Old 04-01-2020, 04:25 AM
Straight Dope Science Advisory Board

Quote:
Originally Posted by psychobunny View Post
Unfortunately, I fear that Americans will resist any required actions.

After hearing the term "coronavirus party", I'm in complete agreement with you. The idiots among the Americans are going to get us all dead.

Last edited by Monty; 04-01-2020 at 04:26 AM.
Old 04-01-2020, 04:30 AM
Charter Member

Quote:
858,892 confirmed infections
42,158 dead
178,100 recovered

In the US:

188,578 confirmed infections
3,890 dead
7,251 recovered
Well, that wraps it up for March - not exactly out like a lamb. Now welcome to the cruellest month, so keep those hatches battened down.
Old 04-01-2020, 07:15 AM

John Fogerty has dusted off his guitar and is belting out some of his old CCR tunes.

Many that guy can still sing and play.
Old 04-01-2020, 09:34 AM
Charter Member

Quote:
Originally Posted by Urbanredneck View Post
But in my house, the bathroom's on the left!
Old 04-01-2020, 09:42 AM

Quote:
But in my house, the bathroom's on the left!
As Bonnie Tyler sang, "Turn around."
Old 04-01-2020, 09:51 AM

Excellent, eye-opening, animated graphic that visually (and cleverly) illustrates the results of four virus-spreading scenarios, namely, freely moving around, attempted quarantine, moderate distancing, extensive distancing. Spoiler: extensive distancing is the most effective in containing the spread of the virus.

There is a LOT of information here. Study the animations. Each one is random and does not include deaths from the virus. Each time you run a new simulation it will be different.

This article from the Washington Post is supposed to be free (i.e., no paywall). I don't know if the site will ask you to register, but you will not be asked to pay.
Old 04-01-2020, 10:17 AM
Charter Member

Quote:
Originally Posted by Dr. Drake View Post
As Bonnie Tyler sang, "Turn around."
Yeah, thanks for the earworm.
Old 04-01-2020, 10:23 AM

Quote:
Originally Posted by ThelmaLou View Post
Excellent, eye-opening, animated graphic that visually (and cleverly) illustrates the results of four virus-spreading scenarios, namely, freely moving around, attempted quarantine, moderate distancing, extensive distancing. Spoiler: extensive distancing is the most effective in containing the spread of the virus.

There is a LOT of information here. Study the animations. Each one is random and does not include deaths from the virus. Each time you run a new simulation it will be different.

This article from the Washington Post is supposed to be free (i.e., no paywall). I don't know if the site will ask you to register, but you will not be asked to pay.
If you've got 20 minutes to spare, you could do a lot worse than have a look at the epidemic spread modeling by 3Blue1Brown. It includes a few more scenarios, among them one where people repeatedly visit some central hub (like, say, a supermarket).
Old 04-01-2020, 10:28 AM

This is a reminder that there is a still a lot we don't know about this thing. So when a friend or a family member has GI symptoms, don't assume they are just dealing with a normal stomach bug.

Diarrhea, nausea, or vomiting may be the first coronavirus symptoms in some patients
Old 04-01-2020, 11:37 AM

https://www.wsj.com/articles/a-wuhan...ar-11585733403

Wuhan writer/blogger Fang Fang has amazing courage standing up to the CCP and its handling of the coronavirus. She had 4.2 million Chinese followers.

Quote:
Soon after the top official in China’s coronavirus-ravaged metropolis of Wuhan urged residents to show gratitude to the Communist Party for containing the contagion, a local literary star penned a stinging rebuke.

“The government is the people’s government; it exists to serve the people,” wrote Wang Fang, a Chinese writer better known by her pen name, Fang Fang, in a social-media post. “Please take back your arrogance and humbly show gratitude to your masters—the millions of Wuhan people.”

The March 7 post was the 43rd entry in Ms. Wang’s “Diary from a Sealed City,” a somber account of life and death under mass quarantine in Wuhan that has garnered millions of views and won praise from readers for its authenticity—a remedy to the chorus of state-media triumphalism about the Communist Party’s battle against the deadly pathogen.
Old 04-01-2020, 01:07 PM
Suspended

Quote:
Originally Posted by Monty View Post
After hearing the term "coronavirus party", I'm in complete agreement with you. The idiots among the Americans are going to get us all dead.
Early XKCD

My rural redneck retiree county easterly of Sacramento still reports only one isolated case from 12 days ago. The info page lists a second case but that's a resident who hasn't entered the county since testing positive, so the one is all we have here. Do other counties, boroughs, or parishes in the US also report minimal cases?