Old 04-11-2020, 07:26 PM

Ron DeSantis 2024

Do you see Florida Gov. Ron DeSantis being elected president in 2024 if he runs?

DeSantis is seen as a 2024 presidential contender.
Old 04-11-2020, 07:34 PM

Seen by whom?

eta: This intrigues me. You post for a reason. Does Putin really think DeSantis is a better tool-to-hand than any of the Trump kids?

I mean, he could be right; I just hadn't thought about it. Is DeSantis as easy to manipulate as Trump? Not personality-wise, I wouldn't think, but perhaps Putin has some really good kompromat on DeSantis....?

Last edited by Sherrerd; 04-11-2020 at 07:37 PM.
Old 04-11-2020, 08:17 PM

He seems like the run of the mill Republican to me, much like Jeb Bush or Marco Rubio. Nothing exciting about him. Plus, he will be hammered over keeping the beaches open early on in this pandemic and ads will be played with that drunk, dumbass, red-cheeked kid talking about how he didn't care if he got the virus because he was too busy fucking partying, bro! (or whatever he said).

So I put him at the 1% mark if he runs.

Last edited by UltraVires; 04-11-2020 at 08:20 PM.
Old 04-11-2020, 08:45 PM

Quote:
Originally Posted by Yankees 1996 Champs View Post
Do you see Florida Gov. Ron DeSantis being elected president in 2024 if he runs?

DeSantis is seen as a 2024 presidential contender.
Wouldn't Pence be the basically automatic candidate? How often does the sitting VP get jilted?
Old 04-11-2020, 08:47 PM

Quote:
Originally Posted by UltraVires View Post
He seems like the run of the mill Republican to me, much like Jeb Bush or Marco Rubio. Nothing exciting about him. Plus, he will be hammered over keeping the beaches open early on in this pandemic and ads will be played with that drunk, dumbass, red-cheeked kid talking about how he didn't care if he got the virus because he was too busy fucking partying, bro! (or whatever he said).

So I put him at the 1% mark if he runs.
His wife wants to be a first lady. Look at them. They are the Republican Camelot.

https://www.tallahasseemagazine.com/...-first-family/
Old 04-11-2020, 08:52 PM

Quote:
Originally Posted by CarnalK View Post
Wouldn't Pence be the basically automatic candidate? How often does the sitting VP get jilted?
Pence is seen as uncharismatic, unappealing even if he ran. Remember, according to sources, Pence was chosen by Paul Manafort. Manafort is tainted and Pence will have Manafort and Trump's ties.
Old 04-11-2020, 09:17 PM

No, comrade, but that's today. 2024 is a long way away, and I don't even know who that fucker is.

Last edited by bobot; 04-11-2020 at 09:18 PM.
Old 04-11-2020, 09:26 PM
Charter Member

Well, he could turn it around, but the fact that he has the third lowest approval rating in the country for his handling of COVID-19 seems like it might be an impediment.
Old 04-14-2020, 02:10 PM

Quote:
Originally Posted by Fretful Porpentine View Post
Well, he could turn it around, but the fact that he has the third lowest approval rating in the country for his handling of COVID-19 seems like it might be an impediment.
I clicked "Trump approval" to see that figure per state, and was struck by the result.

All five of the key swing states (FL, WI, MI, PA, NC) showed Trump between 44% and 47%. Every state likely to vote Trump in November was 48% or higher (as was NH, a potential tipping state). Every state likely to vote Biden in November was 43% or lower. (VA, ME, CO were each 43% exactly ó scary.)

Does this seem remarkable? I suspect the question could have been "Do you approve of Trump's handling of XXX?" and the split would have been almost identical to this, for any value of XXX.

Wyoming showed 69%, Hawaii 10%. Do we all really live in the same country?

~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~
To answer OP's question, Trump will be re-elected in 2020 but by 2024 the calamities will be so severe and so obvious that the GOP will capitulate, and survive for a few more years only in parts of Flyover-land and the South. A Seventh Party System will emerge by the 2030's, probably featuring a centrist Democratic Party and a left-wing Justice Democratic Party.
Old 04-14-2020, 03:00 PM
Charter Member

2024 is a long way off, but I don’t see reheated Trumpism as a path to victory.

If there is a strategy here, it’s to help protect his reelection in 2022. The GOP has gotten damn lucky with weak Dem challengers over the past few cycles. And, if he’s looking for reelection in the middle of a deep recession, generic Dem might win.
Old 04-14-2020, 03:40 PM
The Central Scrutinizer

Quote:
Originally Posted by CarnalK View Post
I donít doubt that Pence would run but he doesnít have the pull to make potential candidates hold back and leave it to him. I will be surprised if it wasnít as crowded as the Democrats were this time.
Old 04-14-2020, 03:41 PM
Charter Member

Quote:
Originally Posted by UltraVires View Post
He seems like the run of the mill Republican to me, much like Jeb Bush or Marco Rubio.
Hell, he makes Jeb! and L'il Marco look like Rhodes Scholars by comparison. There's a surfeit of incredibly stupid GOP officeholders, but DeSantis stands out even by that metric.