Old 03-21-2020, 12:32 PM

How much food/medicines do you have?

I did an audit at my parents*, they have about 6 weeks worth of flour, beans and pasta. Rice is a bit short and I will try and buy some tomorrow.
They managed to get enough prescription medication for 6 months.

* Under great reluctance, I have decided to acquiesce to their wishes and ride out this pandemic with them (they live 20 minutes away) and I guess an 11,000 sq foot house is a better place to be couped up than a flat.
Old 03-21-2020, 12:43 PM

I've probably got less than 2 weeks' worth of food. But the longterm storable food like beans, pasta, etc. is nearly all gone from the store shelves by now.
Old 03-21-2020, 12:48 PM

I'm good on food for prolly 2 months or more (except for milk); my meds I'lll need to refill in about a month. When I refill, I'm gonna get a 180 day supply instead of a 90 day supply.

Last edited by Snowboarder Bo; 03-21-2020 at 12:49 PM.
Old 03-21-2020, 12:51 PM

My only worry is insulin. I have enough for now. My DIL was able to get April's insulin early.
I'm crossing my fingers that the supply line doesn't break. I'm completely dependent. I'll last about 3 horrible days w/o it.
Old 03-21-2020, 12:58 PM

I have a month or two worth of food, though I wasn't able to get bread the last time I went shopping. I'm thinking of trying again tomorrow morning...

I'm not on any prescription medicines but earlier this month I made sure to buy another two months or more's worth of the OTC meds I take for allergies and GERD, and bought another bottle of cough medicine and extra tissues for if/when I get this thing.
Old 03-21-2020, 01:06 PM
Charter Member

I have a decent supply of frozen food. But I expect I'll be out of fresh food by Monday.
Old 03-21-2020, 01:10 PM

I think my 3 person household could go for 4 weeks on what we have. We’d probably be eating lots of beans and rice towards the end, though.

We didn’t have nearly as much food on hand two weeks ago. I made a week long trip to NY and when I came back I was a little surprised at how bare the fridge was. So I made a couple of shopping trip to stock up a bit, ( soups, chili, family sized frozen meals, pasta, rice, other canned goods).

I still need to run to the grocery every couple of days, our fridge space isn’t really sufficient for more than a few days worth of iced tea, milk and juice. Although I’ve also stocked up on self-stable juices.

And everytime I go to the grocery, I end up picking up an extra item or two. I bought a 3 pound freezer ready pack of hamburger meat yesterday just because it was there. Especially over this past week, as the store shelves have started to empty.

Last week, my brother and I would make the list of what we needed for our meals over the next few days. Then we would each go to a different store and buy as many of the items as we could find. Each store was always out of some items, but we ended up with at least one of everything. And when we bought duplicates, they went into the freezer or pantry.

As for prescriptions, I don’t have any. I advised my family members to refill everything as soon as eligible whether they were out or not ( some of them are “as needed” meds.

Last edited by Ann Hedonia; 03-21-2020 at 01:13 PM.
Old 03-21-2020, 01:34 PM
Charter Member

Probably 2.5-3 months' worth of food here. Pantry and chest freezer are full. Prescriptions in good shape.
Old 03-21-2020, 01:54 PM

Get my diabetes, blood pressure and cholesterol drugs from Express Scripts, a mail order service, so as long as the post survives I'm good on that.

Did my monthly food shopping last Monday. Bought enough for our family of 5. Two of them left (DIL and grandson went to shelter with her elderly parents in PA) and then my son said he was feeling paranoid and did some more grocery shopping day before yesterday. We are set for quite some time. And just in time, too. NY is going full 'shelter in place' this Monday.

However, we may run out of beer in a week.
Old 03-21-2020, 02:28 PM

I usually keep no food in my house at all, so I did go and get a couple of weeks worth. I made sure to get the makings for a Bloody Mary or seven.

I don't have any prescription meds, thankfully, but my back will be in bad shape if I can't get Ibuprofen in a couple weeks.
Old 03-21-2020, 02:35 PM
Isaiah 10:1-3
Charter Member

Medicines aren't a problem, and living in earthquake country it is only prudent to keep a couple of weeks worth of food and supplies on hand. I'd be more concerned about running low on cat fud or litter than I would be about people food.

Lock down means we burn fewer calories in a day as well, so that stretches supplies out to a month or so.
Old 03-21-2020, 02:36 PM

We’ve got 2-3 weeks worth of food, but we’re restocking as we go. I have 6 or 7 prescriptions, none of which renew at the same time. I have about 30 days worth on the low end to about 100 days for I refill I picked up yesterday. They’ve asked people here to only get 30 days if possible, my insurance company will pay for a 90 day supply at a time for chronic condition meds.
Old 03-21-2020, 02:37 PM

Dupe

Last edited by FinsToTheLeft; 03-21-2020 at 02:38 PM.
Old 03-21-2020, 02:43 PM
Charter Member

Quote:
Originally Posted by Velocity View Post
I've probably got less than 2 weeks' worth of food. But the longterm storable food like beans, pasta, etc. is nearly all gone from the store shelves by now.
Not sure where you are, but anecdotally I am having no problems here in Chicago finding groceries in the smaller neighborhood and ethnic groceries. The little Indo-Pak place a couple of blocks from my house has everything they normally carry, including just about every bean, lentil, grain, and variety of rice you could possibly imagine.
Old 03-21-2020, 02:45 PM

Due to the timing of a doctors' appointment, I got a 6-month prescription renewal earlier than I needed it. They are only supposed to dispense 90 days' worth at a time, which I thought I ought to fill right away given the current situation. With that, and what I already had, I have a 4-month supply.

Food I have much less of. Don't really know how to handle that because I rarely consume canned goods. But I do have a bunch of canned stuff like beans and the sort of canned ravioli that kids eat or that we used to take camping, and many canned soups. Other than that, the freezer is full of mostly prepared foods -- probably two weeks' worth -- and a couple of flattened marinated cornish game hens for the BBQ. The best stuff I have for the long term is tons of spaghettini, many jars of the world's best pasta sauce store-made at a wonderful Italian boutique grocery, and a great many vac-packed freezer bags of equally wonderful meatballs from the same place, scattered throughout the freezer wherever they will fit.

Another essential at risk is liquor, since the government owned chain of liquor stores has cut their hours and appears to be seriously understaffed at times (the cashier said all staff had the option of staying home or coming in "if they wanted to take the risk". Last time I was there they were limiting the number of people in the store at one time, and the only two employees there were one (1) cashier for the entire large store, plus a huge burly security guard with tattoos all over his arms which were the size of full-grown tree trunks, who was mostly managing the incoming queue. I drove by an hour later and the situation seemed to have improved, but I fear both supply and staffing shortages so I really stocked up. Mostly multiple large bottles of rum and vodka, as I already have a large wine supply in the cellar, but got four more bottles of wine anyway.

My major concern right now is keeping an eye on the expiry dates of the non-frozen refrigerated stuff, of which there is a lot. Most of it still has 5 -10 days to go or more. I have a large jar of delicious smoky corn and bacon chowder that technically expires April 2, but it's a vac-sealed mason jar that the store kept refrigerated and so have I, so it may last longer. I will however strictly abide by the instructions to "consume within 4 days of opening".
Old 03-21-2020, 02:48 PM
Charter Member

We are good for at least a couple of weeks of perishables, and much longer than that for pantry goods (probably months, even more for beans and lentils - we have probably 20+ pounds of them for 2 people), and that was with being out of town during all the panic shopping. My home garden this years is a) going to be insane and b) seeming like a very strategic decision.

May I take this moment to suggest that people who are having a hard time finding fresh veggies sign up for a CSA? We did it for the April - June timeframe, until our garden starts producing in earnest. You can search CSAs by zip code, among other variables, here. And there are CSAs for meat, dairy, eggs, etc. too.
Old 03-21-2020, 03:05 PM

Quote:
Originally Posted by Snowboarder Bo View Post
I'm good on food for prolly 2 months or more (except for milk); my meds I'lll need to refill in about a month. When I refill, I'm gonna get a 180 day supply instead of a 90 day supply.
You may or may not be able to do that, depending on store policies, rationing policies at the time if this crisis persists, and laws in your area.

I know that here, the maximum quantity of a newly prescribed medication that can be dispensed at one time is normally for 30 days. After that, it can be for 90 days at a time. Not sure how much of that is law and how much is store policy, but I suspect that both are a matter of law.

It's not a big deal to me as I got a phone call from the pharmacy once asking if I wanted to be part of their "automatic refill" service, and I said, sure, why not. They are sometimes busy and take a long time to refill a prescription, so getting an automated phone call saying "your renewal is ready to picked up" is really quite handy.
Old 03-21-2020, 03:08 PM

Duplicate post due to -- surprise! Servers not working.

Last edited by wolfpup; 03-21-2020 at 03:09 PM.
Old 03-21-2020, 03:40 PM

I have enough food for a few weeks except for fruits and vegetables. I live in an apartment, so my storage space is very limited. I don't have a car, so I couldn't stock up. I did order shelf-stable milk, but the store was out. I wish stores had immediately put limits on food items purchased to prevent the hoarding that's deprived some of us, but too late now. Sucks to be us, I guess.

I'm much more concerned about Rx meds, since most of the components for generics come from China. I tried to get an early refill on one of my scrips, but the insurance company said no, and I can't afford to pay OOP prices.
Old 03-21-2020, 04:20 PM

Quote:
Originally Posted by AK84 View Post
I guess an 11,000 sq foot house is a better place to be couped up than a flat.
ya think? you can go all day long and not even see anyone if you don't want to in 11,000 sq feet.
Old 03-21-2020, 04:46 PM
Charter Member

Quote:
Originally Posted by wolfpup View Post
You may or may not be able to do that, depending on store policies, rationing policies at the time if this crisis persists, and laws in your area.

I know that here, the maximum quantity of a newly prescribed medication that can be dispensed at one time is normally for 30 days. After that, it can be for 90 days at a time. Not sure how much of that is law and how much is store policy, but I suspect that both are a matter of law.
Laws can be changed in times of emergency. Illinois is temporarily changing liquor laws, not to mention suspending the expiration of documents (such as driver's licenses) issued by the Secretary of State's office.
Old 03-21-2020, 06:23 PM

I think we are set. Can't put any more into our 21cu. ft. freezer. Wife, two sons, and I are in vital businesses so we are still working full time plus overtime as needed. We go to three different mid sized cities so those stores are available to search for what we need. She just got back topping off what we missed plus making a food run for my 85 yo dialysis dependant dad.
I have auto refill by mail on my prescrips plus most were refilled last month. None are life sustaining, just maintenance type that I would survive without for a while. We grabbed an extra bottle of cough medicine last month plus made sure we had Tylenol. One son gets allergies in the spring so we got his stuff on hand too.
My work acquired Oreos that they subsequently couldn't use so they handed them out yesterday. 15 pound cases. My son works there also so we got two cases. Now we need the milk supply to hold out. Last month they gave us a case of zucchini which went into bread and the freezer. I don't think we have any dried beans or rice. I had a chance last month at a really good deal on a 30 pound bag of rice but didn't pull the trigger so I missed out.
The cheek of every American must tingle with shame as he reads the silly flat dishwatery utterances of a man who has to be pointed out to intelligent foreigners as the President of the United States. --Chicago Times review of the Gettysburg address
Old 03-21-2020, 08:26 PM

We can probably go six weeks on what we have, although I don't think what we eat for the last two weeks will be very exciting. Heck, we could probably go a seventh week, but by then, it would be pancakes topped with thawed, frozen fruit, a side of some kind of frozen veggie, and a very small portion of soup from a can meant to be one large portion for one person. Or maybe even just canned beans seasoned with whatever we had, and possibly, but not probably mixed with some canned diced tomatoes.

Now, assuming that fresh fruit and dairy products continue to be available, we are going to eat extremely well for a good 14 weeks on what we have, plus yogurt, milk, fresh fruit, etc.
Old 03-21-2020, 11:14 PM
Charter Member

Quote:
Originally Posted by wolfpup View Post
Does your insurance cover your prescriptions? If so the "30 days for a new prescription, then you can get 90" is probably a rule of your insurance coverage and might be due to the potential of having to change medications after a month because it isn't working or causes a bad reaction.
Old 03-22-2020, 12:51 AM
Suspended

We could probably survive a couple months without venturing out to restock food and drink - though we would be flavoring our coffee more with cocoa and rum by then. But our most necessary and unshippable meds run out within the month. We may transfer prescriptions to Walgreens, which has a drive-up pharmacy window. Alas, there's only one cure for cabin fever.
Old 03-22-2020, 03:39 AM

We have 8 weeks worth of prescriptions. Our drugstore is at work, so hopefully we're back at work by then.

I'm baking and cooking to fill up a small freezer. Normally we have a backlog, so I'm trying to reach our normal level. Everything's labeled.

The main problem is milk. We drink a lot of it, and there's only so much space in the fridge. We had gotten used to going to the store twice a week, so I'm trying to decrease that. Might be able to get milk and eggs at one of the local farmers. I've never done that before, so that will be something new.

We have a lot of dried pasta, so I need to start figuring out how to use it. I'm not so fond of pre-made pasta sauce.
Old 03-22-2020, 04:25 AM

I have had a persistent cough for 8 days now and have been self-quarantined the whole time, and into next week, too. I don't leave and no one comes over, except my saintly gf who will leave requested items on my front step and then split. I've thought about this question.

The big factor for me is that I am eating dramatically less than normal. I guess I take for granted how active I am, or was, now that I am just hanging out all day. I have a set of workout equipment, but so far no appetite to use it while I am hacking up loogies.

So. I was alarmed by the news in the week prior to quarantine and went shopping just about every night after work to stock up. I was getting prepared for my old eating habits. I bet I have 3-4 months worth of food if it came down to survival mode, probably more. I ate a can of Spam yesterday, plus a couple of cookies, and that's it. Cocktails of course- while I am in solitary the rules are 24 hour emergency happy hour. But my usual daily mix of fruit, veggies and protein is getting stretched out into multiple days. Just watch, today it was Spam, tomorrow it will be a can or two of pineapple and/or peaches, and then beans the next day. This isn't even counting the pasta, which isn't ultra-abundant but is still worth weeks of meals.

I haven't eaten through the fridge yet, not even close. The 3 pound Costco bag of mozarrella sticks? Total gut bomb. There's 90 sticks in there and I am no longer interested in even 10 at a time. Saintly gf brought me a pound of cheddar and some soups. Grilled cheese and tomato soup alone is good for 10 days at least. Then there's the brats. And the eggs. Frozen meat. Fresh fruit.

All of this does not mention the Bean Drawer and the stash of camping food. Lord knows how long I could hold out with just the bean drawer- there's gotta be at least a dozen pounds of dried beans in there. And there's half a case of soy milk- I didn't like it as much as I thought I would, now it is kind of old, but hey, soy milk!

I am down to 1 case of beer and less than 10 liters of vodka. No essential prescriptions, though I will run out of Sudafed and Mucinex after a couple more weeks of taking it every day.

Managing to stay entertained. Bought Two new xbox games, and it turns out I am picky about those and only like a narrow band. Call of Duty WWII is interesting to a point, but it wears off. To play it in Nazi zombie mode one has to enroll in Xbox Live, pay at least $1 and risk getting roped into a monthly subscription, and so I have resisted. But Civ VI is pretty much infinitely replayable.

And originally I was going to visit Vegas this past week. Heh, with the markets blowing up, it is like Life or Death Vegas mode in the markets right now, I have more crunchable numbers than I can geek out on in any given day.

I'll go back to work in a week, fates willing. But I could keep this up for months and months.
Old 03-25-2020, 11:45 AM
Charter Member

I think we could manage for 3 weeks or so, foodwise, without having too much of a downturn in our meals aside from fresh veg/fruit. We've got quite a lot in the freezer by way of casseroles, frozen veggies and meat. Might get pretty boring after the 3 weeks or so if we don't get in new supplies. At the behest of a friend, we actually joined a local CSA - so assuming *they* are able to get deliveries, we'll have at least some fresh stuff weekly.

We've all got at least a month of our necessary medications. Well, my daughter probably does not - but she's 500 miles away and I can't help her there.

Interestingly, pretty much all the shelf-stable stuff you can get is not low-carb friendly. Rice, pasta, packaged stuff: it's all carb-based.
Old 03-25-2020, 11:47 AM

we have enough food for a week or so. I checked this morning and I have three days of Rx left I suppose I'll run to Walgrens today and ask them to refill them.
Old 03-25-2020, 12:30 PM
Charter Jays Fan

I could go a month, more if I was really careful. There is lots and lots of food in the stores and I keep us topped up.
Old 03-25-2020, 12:43 PM
Charter Member

I really don't know. I mean, we have several bags of flour, several pounds of beans and lentils, several pounds of oatmeal. Lots of chickpeas and tahini. But how long could that last if we resolved not to buy anything until we ate it all? I think more than 10 days, less than a month. It would last a lot longer if we rationed down to the "always a little hungry" level.
Old 03-25-2020, 02:09 PM

Quote:
Originally Posted by doreen View Post
Does your insurance cover your prescriptions? If so the "30 days for a new prescription, then you can get 90" is probably a rule of your insurance coverage and might be due to the potential of having to change medications after a month because it isn't working or causes a bad reaction.
According to my pharmacist, that's exactly the reason. As a senior, my medications are covered by the single-payer system and it's probably their rule.
Old 03-25-2020, 02:38 PM

We have enough to feed four people (including two teenage boys and a dog) for 40 days. In mid-February, I started adding a little extra to each shopping trip. I'm going to continue to go and do just a regular weekly shop while we can and save our food storage for when we absolutely can't leave (like if we get sick). My husband and I both got a 90 day supply of our prescription meds.

I am finding that our boys are not eating nearly as much as before. Before this, they were playing on sports teams and my youngest son dances seriously, plus they were constantly outside playing basketball or soccer with the other neighborhood kids. As their activity has been seriously curtailed, we've been going through a lot less food than we normally do.
Old 03-25-2020, 03:00 PM
Charter Member

We're in pretty good shape. By pure happenstance, we went to Costco just before the shit hit the fan. I've got a case of tomato sauce, a half dozen cans of tomato paste, about seven pounds of spaghetti, a bag of frozen shrimp, another of frozen scallops, eight lamb chops, a large chicken breast, a halibut filet, beans, rice, lentils, etc. Also a 30 roll brick of TP. I also made up a pound of Italian sausage. We still have last summer's home canned peaches and jams. As for drugs, enough til first week of May and I'm setting up mail order scrips as I write this.