View Poll Results: Are you working from home?
Work has not made any special allowances, and I'm going in 30 12.24%
Work has not made any special allowances, but I'm staying home and burning vacation/sick days 0 0%
Working from home is optional, and but I'm going in anyway 13 5.31%
Working from home is optional, and I'm doing so 44 17.96%
Working from home is mandatory 83 33.88%
I work from home anyway 33 13.47%
I don't have a job 20 8.16%
Other 22 8.98%
Voters: 245. You may not vote on this poll

Old 03-16-2020, 12:30 AM

Poll: Are you working from home due to Coronavirus?

My company has told its workers to stay home over the next week or so. How about you?
Old 03-16-2020, 12:37 AM
Charter Member

I’m unemployed now due to layoffs. My previous VP went out of his way to squash working from home except in the case of dire emergency. Part of it was ego, like Trump undoing things just because Obama did them. Part of it was because he just liked driving his expensive car and getting away from his wife and bullshit about fantasy football.
Old 03-16-2020, 01:00 AM

I could go to work, but my interaction with students would be online anyway since the university is closed. I'm doing telehealth with clients; I'm the boss of my practice and I assert that my practice is not at the office right now.
Old 03-16-2020, 01:16 AM

We have a telework policy that lets people work from home 1 day per week. So, almost everyone is set up to do it. So far, only people in the more vulnerable groups -- over 60 or with other health issues -- have been told they can ask for temporary work from home full time status. It doesn't make much sense that they are not temporarily waiving the 1 day per week limit.

My kids are on 2 week spring break, which was expected for us, but their camps were canceled. So, either me or my partner have to be home for any day we can't get a nanny. If I'm doing childcare, I can't work from home anyway, so for some days I'll be taking leave -- but for childcare reasons, not to avoid the office for social distancing reasons.
Old 03-16-2020, 01:16 AM

I'm a freelance translator, so I work from home anyway. Of course, now that the global economy has ground to a halt, "work" is mostly a theoretical concept.
Old 03-16-2020, 03:26 AM

I work for a school district that is closed for the next 2 weeks. Teaching staff, which includes me, are on "emergency leave" (paid) and are not working at all. Admin staff are being told to work from home to the greatest extent possible. I don't know what will be should this closure extend beyond two weeks.
Old 03-16-2020, 03:36 AM
The Central Scrutinizer

You left out a big category. I have a job that can not be done from home.
Old 03-16-2020, 03:54 AM
Charter Member

I've worked from home for the last 11 years, but I daresay that my work is going to be cut back enormously as the economic effects of covid 19 become apparent.
Old 03-16-2020, 03:59 AM

Quote:
Originally Posted by Loach View Post
That's me too. I'm the floater at a preschool. Basically the back-up teacher for anyone who can't show up. I might be the teacher, or I might be the classroom aide. We are closed until the end of Passover (it's a Jewish preschool). How and whether people will be compensated is still in the works.

We have plenty of savings, but I'm sure the younger people where I work are scrambling.

My son is also home from school. He's 13, and while I think he's capable of managing by himself all day long for several weeks if that were the only possibility, I'm glad it isn't working out that way.

DH must go in for a portion of work, but will be working at home as much as he can, and work is encouraging it. He works with a vulnerable population (people on chemo), so he has to wear a facemask, and wash hands like he has OCD.
Old 03-16-2020, 05:24 AM

I can't work from home.

I teach at a bilingual school (kindergarten through high school) and they already closed the elementary though high school once. Kindergarten was still being held, so us teachers had a lighter load, but we still had to go in or take vacation.

Teaching online is problematic for elementary school, impossible for kindergarten and probably not likely for junior high here, so I don't know what the school would do if the government orders everything to be shut.
Old 03-16-2020, 05:49 AM

We've been told to work from home, so that's what we're doing.
Old 03-16-2020, 06:23 AM

Quote:
Same here.
Old 03-16-2020, 06:39 AM

I normally work from home anyway. I normally travel 50-66% of the time and I'm really busy on the road. When I'm home I am a lot less busy.

So now, with travel squashed, it's really strange. Because I feel like I should be busier than I am, but I'm not. I don't like it.

My wife's company has mandated that everyone who can work from home shall. So after a full week without a minute alone, I'm starting to go a little nuts.
Old 03-16-2020, 06:40 AM

The university is open but the students are all having their classes online at home, so the staff is here but nobody else is. School president wanted the library to stay open so I have to be here. Could end up with mandatory telework at some point, but there's not really much I can do from home; normally there's not that much reason for me to actually be in the office, but at the moment we can't access our collection from a remote computer so there's nothing I could do at home right now anyways. There's not a ton I can do from the office either right now, but they want us here, so I'm here, just running out the clock.
Old 03-16-2020, 07:55 AM

On Friday, I took my laptop home and started working from home. It was optional at my company, but encouraged. Over the weekend, it went from optional to required, so I'm glad I took my stuff home.
Old 03-16-2020, 07:59 AM

Federal employees are now (starting 3/16) encouraged to work remotely to the extent possible. For me that is 100%, so that is what i am doing. I'd prefer to go to the office, but we all have to make sacrifices.
Old 03-16-2020, 08:04 AM
Charter Member

Quote:
You mean the bad guys won't come to Chez Loach and ask to be arrested? Don't they understand that this is a crisis and we all have to change our routines?!?
We will come through this pandemic. Hang on tight to the ones you love.
Old 03-16-2020, 08:04 AM

I have an office near my house but I travel enough that I don't go in unless I have to so I kind of work from home all of the time. Now that schools are close I'm "working" from home since ai don't expect to be overly productive with a 4 year old and a 1 year old I've got to take care of. I'm not sure what we'll do if they carry out the rumors and shut school down for 8 weeks.

My wife works for an engineering firm, started a week ago, they don't believe in working from home so everyone is required to go in. If you or a family member get COVID-19 you are required to take FMLA, which we're not eligible for and so far their corporate policy is if you work for home only billable work counts and the rest needs to be PTO neither of which my wife has and 100% billable is crazy anyhow. So we're expecting her to be back job hunting this week.
Old 03-16-2020, 08:14 AM

I normally work at home three days per week and go to the office two days per week. I was told on Friday to stay at home until further notice.
Old 03-16-2020, 08:32 AM
Charter Member

The agency has limited our location to two people per program in office each day to deal with walk ins and phone calls. I'm slated to work in office Mondays and the rest of my week working at home. The agency busted ass to get us more VPN slots so more of us can work from home.
Old 03-16-2020, 08:34 AM

I work for a big city, and while they've made sure that we all have our VPN and what-not set up for working from home, the word hasn't come down officially to work from home yet. So we're all here at OCP headquarters so far. I expect that to change within the week though as more cases get announced in our county and state.

Last edited by bump; 03-16-2020 at 08:35 AM.
Old 03-16-2020, 08:47 AM

This morning, we were told to work from home until the end of the month.

ETA: I'm a Federal contractor, a website manager for an HHS site.

Last edited by Miss Mapp; 03-16-2020 at 08:49 AM.
Old 03-16-2020, 08:53 AM

We've just started an optional work from home policy. I'm doing so today, but will go in tomorrow as access to the server is slow with everyone logging on remotely and I need some big files.

(Design agency in Bristol, UK, for the record).
Old 03-16-2020, 09:06 AM
Charter Member

Quote:
Originally Posted by zimaane View Post
Federal employees are now (starting 3/16) encouraged to work remotely to the extent possible. For me that is 100%, so that is what i am doing. I'd prefer to go to the office, but we all have to make sacrifices.
Same here. I just took the basic training on teleworking (mostly stuff I already knew) and made arrangements with my supervisor (some initial confusion over him not having gotten all the memos, but he was OK with the idea once that was cleared up).

I suspect it will change to "mandatory for everyone capable of telework" soon (the telework basic training was mandatory for everyone who didn't already have it, whether or not they planned to use it).
Old 03-16-2020, 09:28 AM

Everyone who is now working from home.....

Why haven't you always worked from home if it is possible to do so? My job cannot be done from home, so I really don't get it. Will a percentage of Americans never return to work and continue working from home after this crisis?
Old 03-16-2020, 09:28 AM

My boss just told me that, if I need to work from home or otherwise make allowances, to let him know and it'll all be good. That said, I'm currently working at my desk since the primary reason why he offered was because the schools are all shut down and I have a 3rd grader -- but he's still with his sitter for the time being.
Quote:
Originally Posted by kayaker View Post

Why haven't you always worked from home if it is possible to do so? My job cannot be done from home, so I really don't get it. Will a percentage of Americans never return to work and continue working from home after this crisis?
My job can sort of be done from home but not really conveniently. There's parts that I can do from home and parts where I need to go over things with others or have access to tools in the office and there isn't a real clear dividing line. I basically need to stock up on "at home" work and it's still less productive overall than a standard day.

Last edited by Jophiel; 03-16-2020 at 09:31 AM.
Old 03-16-2020, 09:35 AM

Quote:

In some businesses there is a high value placed on being present. I've worked for those firms where if you aren't sitting at your desk you're assumed to be screwing off. There seems to be a high correlation to companies that also locked down the internet. It won't surprise me particularly in a long shut down (8 weeks the cdc has started mentioning) that these business will start looking at work product and it won't surprise me if many of them look around and realize they are wasting money on office space.
Old 03-16-2020, 09:45 AM
I'm nice, dammit!
Charter Member

I'm retired, and the caregiver for my toddler granddaughter while her parents work. Her mother (my daughter) is a teacher, and after a meeting at school today, she'll be staying home and doing on-line teaching. Her father (my SIL) works at the local Navy base and so far, he's still going to work. My husband is self-employed, and he spends most of the days in his office on his computer, doing engineering analysis.

The last place I worked before retirement is still working as usual. In my old group, apart from me, everyone was well under 60. Work from home would be close to impossible as it is an engineering group and they spend a lot of time running from their desks to the production floor as manufacturing progresses.
Old 03-16-2020, 09:54 AM

I don't know yet. The university is doing all online classes, but I _think_ staff will be expected to show up. Spring Break has been extended two days though, so things will only resume Wednesday, and the governor just issued the closure of public schools for three weeks, so the university administration might reassess at any moment.

Also, I'm a professional tutor, but most of the tutors are students, and, I assume, have gone "home", so I'll check with my supervisor some time tomorrow if I haven't heard anything before then.
Old 03-16-2020, 09:54 AM

I'm in the office right now, grabbing my laptop and my desktop computer to take home. My wife also went into her office, to grab a few final things she needs.
Old 03-16-2020, 09:58 AM
Charter Member

Quote:
Me too.

Itís impossible for me to work from home. The company now requires telecommuting for those who can, but most of us canít.

I used to split childcare with my spouse, but theyíll be doing school and work from home now. So now Iíll be working 12-hour shifts until the factory shuts down. Make hay while the sun shines.

At least thereís little traffic on the road now.
Old 03-16-2020, 09:59 AM
Charter Member

Not sure if it's truly mandatory but I'm working from home. The company and the state have told us to work from home if you're not critical, and I'm not.
Old 03-16-2020, 09:59 AM

Quote:

My jobs can be done from home in a pinch, even a long pinch, but it's not sustainable.
Old 03-16-2020, 10:03 AM

We told our employees to work from home as much as possible. It's nice and quiet in the office this morning. Personally, I'll probably work from home 50% of the time over the next few weeks.

As for why I don't always do it, two main reasons. 1) I'm more productive away from home and 2) I have a better set up in the office. The commute is short and I like to get out of the house now and then.
Old 03-16-2020, 10:05 AM

Been working from home exclusively for over a year now anyway. My wife had to go in once a week for her job, but they are letting her stay home til this blows over.

Last edited by Ashtura; 03-16-2020 at 10:06 AM.
Old 03-16-2020, 10:20 AM
Charter Member

For me and most of my co-workers, working from home is not an option, since we do our work on classified computer systems. So we are just coming in to work and distancing ourselves from each other the best we can. It's not too hard, since we're software developers and mostly work alone at our desks anyway. The company has put a lot more hand sanitizer stations around the building, and has put a huge tub of disinfecting wipes in our cafe and in every coffee mess. Door handles, counters, microwaves, fridges, etc. are being disinfected every night by the cleaning staff.
Old 03-16-2020, 10:30 AM
Charter Jays Fan

I voted that it's mandatory. That's not EXACTLY true - it is just very strongly encouraged, but they haven't locked the doors. It's the closest answer, though.
Old 03-16-2020, 10:44 AM
Charter Member

Quote:

Why haven't you always worked from home if it is possible to do so?
I'm much more productive in the office. A lot of work is easier to do face to face. Better facilities there for my job. I already work remotely to a large number of our teams in Virginia and India, so keeping close contact with the group here is good for team building and morale. I like getting out of the house. There's a gym at the office.

All good reasons, but the main one is the productivity.
Old 03-16-2020, 10:58 AM

My job cannot be done from home so I voted Other.

mmm
Old 03-16-2020, 11:06 AM

I work from home anyway (I write music.)
Old 03-16-2020, 11:34 AM
Charter Member

My wife works for the federal government. She normally works at home four days a week. (She has a whole setup at home with a dockable computer and two monitors.) Anyway, they just switched her to working at home full time.

My son and I are both engineers, me at a public utility and my son at a engineering consulting firm. Both of us are still going into the office. At my office, they did eliminate all in-person meetings at least -- all meetings are now virtual or by conference call.

They also kicked all of the consultants out of my building, so it's much emptier here (which is good). I'm basically hiding out in my office all day and maintaining distance from people to the extent possible.
Old 03-16-2020, 11:42 AM

Pretty much my entire office (I work for a small business) has the capability to work from home. In fact, a good percentage of employees work remotely, a couple even in a different country. I'm going in though until I have a good reason to stay home. I get more done at the office, having a lot of distractions at home. It's good to know that I can work from home if I need to, though (and I did one time this year due to snow).
Old 03-16-2020, 11:53 AM

Quote:

I have the capability to but choose not to until I HAVE to. I don't like working at home because I'm way too distracted. Plus I just don't have as good a set up at home as I do at the office. My office is small though - 9 people on site, and probably just as many who work remotely every day - and we're pretty spread out in offices, so I'm not hugely concerned about getting sick through here. Plus, there haven't yet been any cases in my city. When things change, it's good to know I can stay at home and still get paid. But in the meantime, I'm better off physically going into work.
Old 03-16-2020, 12:13 PM

Quote:

I normally work from home 2 days a week. Our contract leads usually don't want us to do more unless it's for reasons of illness or other issues that might keep us home. The last time I was at home for more than two weeks was after I had abdominal surgery and wasn't fit to drive. One tends to get a little stir crazy, but the hours are more flexible.
Old 03-16-2020, 01:21 PM

Quote:

I would love to work from home, at least for several days a week, but my immediate boss is old school (and an extrovert), and doesn't really believe anyone can be productive at home. I am miles MORE productive at home, but <shrugs>.

I clicked "optional but I'm doing it" even though we have been strongly encouraged to stay home. My son is waiting for his COVID-19 test to come back, so I would have been self-quarantining for the next two weeks anyway.
Old 03-16-2020, 01:25 PM
The Central Scrutinizer

Quote:
Originally Posted by Northern Piper View Post
You mean the bad guys won't come to Chez Loach and ask to be arrested? Don't they understand that this is a crisis and we all have to change our routines?!?
I was hoping to do it telephonically. Maybe online.
Old 03-16-2020, 01:32 PM
The Central Scrutinizer

Quote:
Originally Posted by Northern Piper View Post
I was hoping to do it telephonically. Maybe online.
Old 03-16-2020, 01:33 PM

As per Governor Pritzker's executive order, all Illinois public and private schools close at the end of this school day. As I speak, we are in the process of early dismissal. There is a meeting for all administrative staff, support staff, and teachers at 1:45. Then we are all done until March 30th when the situation will be reevaluated.
I can't believe the virus will have peaked by that time. I think there is a good chance that the hiatus will be extended. In our state, at least, these are considered "Act of God" days and will not be made up. School will end on the same day as scheduled without even using the 5 emergency days. We shall see how this all unfolds.

"E-Learning" will be implemented during the break. I can access what I need to access if teachers have connectivity/login problems with their students over the break. Other than addressing Help Desk tickets from home as needed, I'm completely off.
Old 03-16-2020, 01:36 PM

90% of my work I do from home anyway. I do offsite and on site investigations and audits, but I'm not scheduling any on-site until this is over. I used to try to make it to the office once a week or so, but I'm done with that, too.
Old 03-16-2020, 01:41 PM

We are on "reccomended" WFH until 10 Apr. Basically, "don't go into the office unless you need to do something you can't do at home".