Old 04-04-2020, 12:33 AM

Stuck at home forevah - what's the chore you're putting off till last?

Baseboards, cleaning the baseboards. Fuck, I hate that. All that crawling around. And getting up and down, and scooting around on my ass.
Old 04-04-2020, 12:43 AM

Oh, hell no! Use your sponge mop and kick towels around with your feet.

We have a shed full of unpacked boxes which need to be dealt with. (I should probably just pitch them, we have lived here for almost 3 years and haven't touched them.) I told myself that I would deal with a box a day. I am the worlds best procrastinator, there isn't a speck of dust on the pot shelves, but not a single box has been opened.
Old 04-04-2020, 01:14 AM

Protip - if you get your procrastinating skill up high enough, you can put off ALL the jobs you hate To Infinity And Beyond!
Old 04-04-2020, 08:30 AM

Cleaning the stovetop.
Cleaning the big Venetian blinds in the living room.
Yeah, baseboards. My usual method: I first use a stiff broom to get all the grime off, and then count on my poor eyesight to make any remaining dirt invisible.
Cleaning hard water scale off the tile in the shower. Involves using De-Scale It and steel wool. Yuck.

I've done all the easy chores around the house and yard, and now must tackle the above list.
Old 04-04-2020, 01:08 PM

We're still working, and not having the twice-a-month cleaner in, so my time for big cleaning tasks is limited. I've been doing one odious task a day. Yesterday, I cleaned the bathroom sinks, tub and shower, and wiped down the tops of cabinets, the light bulbs, and the fans. Today I have some yard work to do, like cutting brambles, that won't wait. Cleaning the home office is most odious, and probably requires a weekend and the participation of my lovely wife.
Old 04-04-2020, 02:58 PM

I intend to go through clothes. So far I've found a box of contracter bags. They are on the floor of my closet. Whew! That was a chore bringing them upstairs. .

The lil'wrekker is going through her closet. I at least, want her winter stuff stored away.
I'm not expecting much.
Old 04-04-2020, 04:52 PM

Going through my closet and getting rid of stuff I don't wear. However, if I WERE to get to that, I'd have no place to put the culled clothes--no storage and no open thrift shops. Procrastination for the win!
Old 04-04-2020, 05:16 PM

I'm back. It's raining too hard to cut brambles, so I unclogged a downspout and cleaned the microwave, including gross interstitial vent cleaning. It needs a round of poking about with a degreaser, but it doesn't make me feel sad and guilty to see the vent from across the room now. Also: Moss-killer on the sidewalk.
Old 04-04-2020, 05:24 PM
Charter Member

Since I'm still working 40 hours a week (teleworking now), I've only gained a few hours of time that would have otherwise been spent commuting. And that's been offset by the search for staple items that have vanished from the shelves of the local groceries. We don't go out a lot anyway, so little time gained there either. So I don't have high expectations of getting much done during the coronavirus confinement.

But if I did have time, the hated chore is cleaning the (unfinished) basement. Stuff accumulates down there when we no longer want it in the furnished areas of the house, but needless to say, it doesn't accumulate in an organized manner, and there's a ton of stuff that should be gone through and triaged for keep, toss, or save for the thrift stores when they reopen.

It's the sort of chore that really needs several days to attack in an uninterrupted manner. I haven't taken it on since the government shutdown of 2013 (I'm a Federal worker). I would have done it again during the shutdown a year ago, but the program I work on had already been funded, so I had to keep on working, dammit.

So it really needs doing, but since it's not the sort of thing that can be done in an hour here and a few hours there, it just gets worse, and the dread surrounding it keeps accumulating.

I'll be retired in four years. It may wind up waiting until then.

Last edited by RTFirefly; 04-04-2020 at 05:25 PM.
Old 04-04-2020, 06:52 PM
Charter Member

The basement is still not back together two years after we had a sump pump installed. They also had to tear up a sheetrock wall to get to seeping damp and it needs to be painted, and the baseboard installed. I got as far as painting the wall with Kilz, but can't gin up the energy for the rest of it.

I have a project in the garage to refurbish an old child-size rocking chair. Just can't get interested.

At least I pulled the RV cover off and am cutting it up for disposal. After ten years, it's in tatters. Also reconnected the battery for it and the engine cranked right up. Win!
Old 04-05-2020, 01:18 PM

Our rescue shelter needs towels and blankets. Usually, we are able to get enough from thrift stores, who will give us the stained and torn ones they get donated. This is no longer happening and puppies go through a LOT of towels and newspapers.

Now might be a good time to go through your linen cabinets and get rid of the faded, stained towels and blankets that got pushed to the back by donating them to your local shelter. The kittens and puppies will thank you.

Last edited by flatlined; 04-05-2020 at 01:19 PM.
Old 04-05-2020, 02:50 PM
Suspended

What chores have I successfully ignored for months or years and now lack excuses for further procrastination? Sifting clothes into "too big" and "too small" stacks. Restringing guitars. Cleaning out the storage container. Taming deer. Replacing a pony fence. Learning LADY OF SPAIN on the harmonium. Finding stuff I stashed safely. Right.
Old 04-05-2020, 06:11 PM
Charter Member

My divorce
Old 04-05-2020, 07:15 PM
Charter Member

I haven't properly cleaned out the kitchen cabinets (the ones that hold plates, pots, pans, etc.) in 13 years. The current organization doesn't make any sense, and there's plenty of stuff in there that needs to go, but it's too time consuming. Also, there's a spot where the builder had placed a shelf but removed it, breaking the little brackets in the process. I've never been able to locate the shelf, but I have a suitable board in the garage that I could cut to size, and I shouldn't have a problem locating new brackets.

Also, my garage reorganization has been halted because I've realized that the shelves I was planning to put alongside one of the walls are a bit too deep. I had been planning to dispose of the old shelves as scrap metal, but I've realized that there are enough salvageable pieces that I should be able to build at least one and a half units, which will actually work great for what I'm trying to accomplish.
Old 04-05-2020, 08:14 PM

Quote:
Originally Posted by flatlined View Post
Our rescue shelter needs towels and blankets. Usually, we are able to get enough from thrift stores, who will give us the stained and torn ones they get donated. This is no longer happening and puppies go through a LOT of towels and newspapers.

Now might be a good time to go through your linen cabinets and get rid of the faded, stained towels and blankets that got pushed to the back by donating them to your local shelter. The kittens and puppies will thank you.
I have a stack but they're closed
Old 04-05-2020, 11:35 PM

I would answer but it would take too long to scroll through the list.

Sent from my SM-N920P using Tapatalk
Old 04-06-2020, 03:31 AM

Job I know I won't get done - painting the hatch to my loft. I had a new hatch fitted in 2016. It's been bare of paint since then, and I think it will be so forever. It's just the most unsatisfying job, and no one will ever care.

And I LOVE DIY.
Old 04-06-2020, 04:36 AM

Powerwashing the house. It really needs it, but it's still too cold.
Old 04-06-2020, 07:01 AM

There are three huge white pines that help cool our barn via shade. Yesterday was the day for cleaning tons of white pine needles out of the barn's gutters. The muck then was wheelbarrowed over to our berry area where it became mulch.